Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arist did you decide to bail out on the LP? I am convinced that you are trying to run away from the LP. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

ajkalan: Attempt #1

When deciding who to date, it is important that we step back and understand who Maaku truly is. There are many ways to measure his character, but the best way, in my opinion, is in how he defines himself and his closest companions. His most concrete example of self-definition comes from his naming of the Phantom Thieves, which we all know as "#millennials." Thus, we know that at his core, he shares the same two directives as everyone in his generation:

1. Wanting to die, and
2. Memes

With this in mind, let us examine some of the characters in this game to see how well they satisfy these requirements to being Maaku's ideal partner.

-Kamoshida
He fulfills the first point twice over, as he both inspired a desire to die in Shiho and wished for his own death at the end of his character arc. However, if he was aware of the existence of memes he never let on, and despite his ridiculous chin and hilarious bathrobe villain costume he is not himself the subject of a meme. Pass.

-Morgana
An opposite of Kamoshida. His meme game is strong - him demanding Maaku go to bed is well known to every player, and his Catbus transformation is pretty much a literal meme form. But he falters in wanting to die. His quest so far has been a desire to find out his identity and live his life as the human he knows he really is. Even at his lowest, he has not been suicidal. Granted, his latest arc has been painful to the player/readers, but it didn't make me want to die, personally. Pass.

-Foreign Barker, Lala-chan, or Starry-eyed Student
They don't really fit either criteria, I just thought they should be mentioned because they're the best no-portrait characters in the game.

-Futaba
She is certainly a strong candidate, arguably the ideal choice. She very explicitly wanted to die; that was the whole crux of her Palace. As a creature of the Internet and the founder of Japanese not-Anonymous, she certainly knows all about memes. Also, unlike most of the previous choices, she is about the same age as Maaku and thus is just as much a millennial as him.* On the other hand, she doesn't want to die any more, does she? That aspect of her character has completely changed. And I don't think she makes anyone else want to die, either. Her meme credentials are also kind of weak. She uses gamer terms and silly similes ("make like a tree and leave," things like that) when she speaks, but none of that is really meme stuff. I don't know how she types on the Internet, so I can't definitively say she uses them there, either. Great, but not the clear best option she initially appears to be.

-Mishima
He is the other top choice next to Futaba. He is someone who, though he himself doesn't want to die, inspires that feeling in many players and probably Maaku himself at times (see: Hawaii). I don't think he's as ambitious or talented as Futaba, so he is more likely to end up in a poo poo job and feeling terrible later in life, a millennial trademark. He is well aware of memes and has used them in speech. I don't remember Futaba saying anything like "Kek" before she ran into Mishima! I also saw him in a Youtube video once wearing Shinya's Get Smoked hat, so his real-life meme presence must be better than her's. Truly a top contender in this contest.

Conclusion
Ultimately, the two millennial directives paint a portrait of someone who is rather hopeless, and no one is more hopeless than Mishima. It's a close call, but Maaku should romance Mishima. The evidence doesn't lie.

*They are both too young to be millennials by most definitions of the term, but if that's what they're calling themselves, who am I to argue?

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

pope "pope crunch" crunch attempt 1
we already break the laws of man as a matter of course, up the ante and assail the laws of god: pork the cat.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Mysticblade attempt 1

We've been judged as a criminal ever since we got here. We've been an outsider to this city. Who else understands our mutual pain of being an outsider like the noble, kind-hearted Foreign Barker?

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Ignore this

Blackunknown fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 19, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So, uhh... wow. It won't be "official" until tonight, but today marks a whole year since this LP started. Thanks for indulging my bullshit, everyone, and to commemorate, tomorrow we're going to do something I've been wanting to get to for a while.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

TheKirbs: attempt #1

Obviously we go for Haru.

A rich, unattached heiress who's father we're about to brainwash.

:homebrew: CHA-CHING :homebrew:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
resurgam40: Attempt #1

No, no, if we want to be with someone with heart, someone with soul, and most importantly, someone who knows what it is to be an outsider in a cold, hard city just trying to get by, our choice is clear.

Young Rocker... that's the one. We shall become his muse, and he shall discover the fire he seeks... and together, we will change the hearts of Tokyo, and soon- the world!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Congrats, Arist!

You're doing a pretty good job.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Arist posted:

So, uhh... wow. It won't be "official" until tonight, but today marks a whole year since this LP started. Thanks for indulging my bullshit, everyone, and to commemorate, tomorrow we're going to do something I've been wanting to get to for a while.

Congratulations, and here's to another good year.

SPEAKING OF YEARS

Tempest_56: Attempt #4

You know what was being cool in high school? (Okay, a lot of things that were not to be approached by most of us losers.) Dating an upperclassman. Being good enough to hang with the older kids. And we have a perfect chance for that - Makoto. (We can't go much further up the age ladder than that without it becoming weird and creepy, however. Maaku needs to be cool, not pedophile bait.)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grouchio: Attempt #1

https://clips.twitch.tv/PleasantMushyLorisTriHard

Vote Makoto because wanting to bang her heartless sister is bullshit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Grouchio posted:

Grouchio: Attempt #1

https://clips.twitch.tv/PleasantMushyLorisTriHard

Vote Makoto because wanting to bang her heartless sister is bullshit.

In retrospect, I should have known someone would post this clip, because ever since I first saw it the fiery heat of this take caused it to sear itself into my loving brain for all time, and it's all I can think about whenever we bring up dating Makoto.

I have been defeated by 「Crazy Talk」

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 13, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Deafnote: Attempt #1

Vote Haru. Because its probably the only way to make sure her real life fiancee stays far the hell away from her. (and also because she just seems nice)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arist posted:

In retrospect, I should have known someone would post this clip, because ever since I first saw it the fiery heat of this take caused it to sear itself into my loving brain for all time, and it's all I can think about whenever we bring up dating Makoto.

I have been defeated by 「Crazy Talk」
I WIN I WIN I WIN THE USHORIMYA GOLD IS MIIIINNE!!!!! :kheldragar:

Arist I now order you to romance EVERYONE, so that we can [redacted] you hear me!!!

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 13, 2018

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also Sae isn't even worth it.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Wow, today's the thread anniversary? Congrats Arist!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

And someone animate it for Protag and Ryuji.
[not yet! -fedule]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 14, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

limeicebreakers posted:

Wow, today's the thread anniversary? Congrats Arist!

why would you blight me with this

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

And someone animate it for Protag and Ryuji.

Hey, there's kinda a minor spoiler in that one there buddy, might wanna rethink posting that just yet.

Malah
May 18, 2015

:allears: So, how do Makoto and Haru rank as far as utility or damage goes? Makoto can heal and Gun is reportedly good, but this is the point where I'm starting to wonder how to decide on the active party past which casters have SP.

I'm going to need some time to think about the Best Girl. Ryuji is obviously the best boy, but I'm sure there's plenty of fanworks on that option.

Malah fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 13, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Malah posted:

:allears: So, how do Makoto and Haru rank as far as utility or damage goes? Makoto can heal and Gun is reportedly good, but this is the point where I'm starting to wonder how to decide on the active party past which casters have SP.

I'm going to need some time to think about the Best Girl. Ryuji is obviously the best boy, but I'm sure there's plenty of fanworks on that option.

I'd say Makoto generally has The Most utility, and Haru's probably slugging it out with Ann for second place damage-wise behind Ryuji, though Haru's general utility elsewhere (she gets some amazing poo poo) puts her firmly ahead of Ann in my own party.

Makoto learns healing skills a good deal slower than Morgana, but faster than Ann, who doesn't even learn multi-target healing skills either. Now, while Makoto's incredible all-around utility means she has more good poo poo and fewer open skill slots, we can supplement this with clever item use, which I'll cover in... a while, when we get to it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Malah posted:

Haru's strength is that while she will never be the strongest damage dealer for either magical or physical, she is the number 2 candidate for both with her only real weakness being not having enough skill slots to quite fit everything in. In terms of general utility Makoto is the best as she has some useful buffs and healing combined in a very tanky character.

Edit: Just to clarify, what is your policy on confidant ability spoilers? There is one in particular I would like to comment on in regards to this dungeon but fully understand if you want to save that discussion for a later point.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 13, 2018

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, I would usually run Joker+Haru+Makoto from this point of the game, with the 4th slot taken by whoever's elemental attacks I needed right now - usually Ryuji

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My policy on Confidant ability spoilers is "please don't."

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh right, I need to make a case for dating someone, don't I?

Leraika attempt #1:

Okay, so, we're #Millennials - hashtag millennials, all about fighting the man - and we're also Phantom Thieves, which means our modus operandi is literally stealing people's hearts to make change in the world.

So, I posit, which heart could we steal (in seduction) that would strike the most telling blow in the investigation being carried out against us?

"Makoto, because she's the sister of the head prosecutor!" you might say, and while that would certainly piss Sae off (which is definitely a worthy goal), making one woman angry isn't really the grand gesture we need here.

"Well, what about Sae herself?" Another excellent suggestion! Unfortunately, we've already seen that this investigation seems to mostly be conducted behind her back and over her head (she had to get permission to interview her own head suspect, remember?), which would make me think she's not the one we need to be focusing on.

The question, then, is "who"?

Who in this game is both strongly connected to the police investigation and actually able to influence it? Who keeps being brought up as the expert in all things Phantom Thief related?

Who will absolutely flip their poo poo if they find out they've been dating the Moriarty to their Holmes?

That's right, everyone, it's...

THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE complete and utter toolbox!

Goro Akechi should be our target, for the reasons above and because if he selfdestructs over dating a GASP PHANTOM THIEF, he'd stand the best chance of compromising the investigation by making an rear end of himself.

Also, it'd be funny.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nothingtoseehere Attempt #1

Can we not date Makato please

For one, she's still a bit straight-laced for us, and being both smart and scary means that Joker's not getting away with much -he'd be worn down by her. Also, the joke about loving the prosecutors sister is funny, but way overplayed and I doubt the game will give us the payoff we want.

So who instead?

Haru, that's who. Enough bite to still be interesting, but still a bit sweeter and less forceful. Heiress to a fortune doesn't help either. And we should show the new member some love right?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Grouchio posted:

Arist did you decide to bail out on the LP? I am convinced that you are trying to run away from the LP. :colbert:

It's the strangest thing. One day we're getting regular updates, the next he announces he's reducing his workload by a lot.

Like he was brainwashed or maybe... he got his heart stolen by Phantom Thieves?

Edit: Oh, poo poo, that's right! Happy thread anniversary Arist!

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 13, 2018

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
SMaster777, attempt 1

You know.... There's a question we can ask ourselves here, and we just might be charming enough to pull this one off. Why settle for just one?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Malah posted:

Ryuji is obviously the best boy, but I'm sure there's plenty of fanworks on that option.

I think it's actually more popular to ship MC with Yusuke, for some reason.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

DeafNote posted:

Deafnote: Attempt #1

Vote Haru. Because its probably the only way to make sure her real life fiancee stays far the hell away from her. (and also because she just seems nice)

I'm for Haru as well; but rather than keeping her fiancee away, I'd rather help her find the confidence to stand up and kneecap him herself.

She's only just begun to tap into that well of repressed fury.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

pope "pope crunch" crunch attempt 2

there is precedent for the sort of dorky main character and the sasshole feline getting together, as evidenced by this historical document:

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/03cvzZh.gif (from barfield, http://www.thereverend.com/barfield/index.html )

so: pork the cat

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

kvx687 posted:

I think it's actually more popular to ship MC with Yusuke, for some reason.

Let me explain

Lord_Magmar: Attempt #4 Yusuke is a relatively attractive artist with a unique sense of style and beauty. He is grace and heart. He may or may not have the soul of a poet, but he has the eye of an artist and the ability to find beauty in all things, theoretically. Maybe he will find beauty in us.

Also we should still be flirting with evereyone anyway, I have to remain on point with my opinion.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 7, 2018

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Arist posted:

A Bad Idea

:siren: It’s time for a special announcement! READ THIS ENTIRE THING YOU ASSHOLES, I KNOW IT’S LONG BUT SUCK IT UP, YOU’RE ALREADY HERE READING LONG TEDIOUS BULLSHIT :siren:

I've got a suggestion regarding this format, if you're willing to change the format a bit. I'm concerned that the thread will lose motivation over the whole month, I'd expect that we'll see a big flood of entries for a week or so and then not too much afterwards. My idea: pick one winner every week. That'll keep excitement up and allow us to tailor our submissions to you as we see what you like, resulting in more creative works. Then at the end you can pick your favorite from the winners. It's also easier for you since you only have to sort through a week of material at a time rather than the whole month.

Just a thought.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Junpei Attempt #1

Futaba clearly hasn't shaken off her last bits of social anxiety, and I think that Joker could be the last piece of the puzzle to help her heal.

Plus, he's clearly one of the only people who can match pop culture references with her.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Rather Watch Them: Attempt #1

I've been kicking around an effort-post about my vote, but since I'm a busy person I'll keep it brief.

The answer is as simple as Hifumi. Make her the honorary party member she deserves to be.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
SugarAddict: Attempt #1:

Save yourself, ban everyone, and gas the thread

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

SugarAddict posted:

:yeah: :same: :agreed:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SugarAddict posted:

This, but unironically.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Let’s step back a bit. Well, a bit more than a bit. A few months, to be precise…

Music: Disquiet

My station has conducted a poll on that subject…

(dude on the left is talking here)

Where’d it come from?
Oh crap, it’s got a loud voice!

Oh, I guess you’re just not using a disguise, huh Chief?

Hey! Makki!

A calling card?

Phantom Thieves of hearts? Are you kidding me?

I’m telling you, it’s a crappy world we live in.

Ann, you okay? That stance doesn’t look comfortable.

Gah! Yusuke’s lips are both non-existent and too loving prominent!

Music: Life Will Change (Instrumental Version)

THE DAY BREAKERS Part 1: Peer Pressure’s No Good, Kids

So, yes, we’re doing “PERSONA5 THE ANIMATION: THE DAY BREAKERS” for our intermission. This is a one-episode OVA (original video animation) that covers the team (at this point just the initial four and Yusuke) trying to fulfill a Mementos request (specifically the creatively-named request “Phantom Thieves VS Burglary Ring,” the target of which was Kazuya Makigami, who was part of a burglary ring targeting restaurants, in case you’ve forgotten). Also worth noting: “PERSONA5” in the title there as one word, nice.

It’s pretty clear just from the minute and a half we’ve gotten through so far that the art is… um… not good? I don’t like blaming the people who make these things because I know the conditions must be agonizing, so I’ll instead say it was probably rushed to hell and back, considering this aired September 3, 2016, less than two weeks before the game’s Japanese release. I’ll avoid harping too heavily on it for that reason, but I’ll still capture some of it for your enjoyment, because holy poo poo are there some great bad faces in this thing. Sadly, no Double Chie.

I’ve been wanting to cover this since the Mementos visit where we actually got through this request, but I never did, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity, especially to commemorate the thread's anniversary yesterday! :toot:

For some godforsaken reason, the only thing I can think of looking at Akechi here is that loving “Here comes a special boy” Achewood strip.

Music: Alright

Most, if not all, of the music is ripped straight from the game.

A detective who’s also a high school student, Mr. Goro Akechi!

I’m just going to come right out and ask you… What do you think of the Phantom Thieves of Hearts?

...I believe they should be brought to justice in a court of law.

Sorry! Silly me, losing my key…

They start making out for... some reason.

Y-Yes, sir!

I love that he keeps saying thank you even as the dude’s closing the door in his face.

Totally dissing me!
*beeping*

Despite the art problems I mentioned before, this thing is honestly pretty interestingly directed: the picture in the second image above starts moving and zooms into the shot that becomes the third image.

I’m getting the feeling this dude doesn’t want to be here, considering they sarcastically call him “Boss” and he can’t stop loving grimacing every time he’s onscreen, but maybe that’s just me.

Music: Suspicion

Are you gonna be much longer, Makki?
Hold on. Just one second…

If only they weren’t too stingy to install our security system…
...then this never would’ve happened to them.
*laughing*
Uh… I think you guys should hurry it up…
All right! Get going! (in English) Hurry up!

BEER

(I spent a few minutes looking for appropriate anime screenshots of cans of booze just labeled “BEER” but I couldn’t find any, rip)

The group inexplicably decides to honk the loving horn as they peel out, alerting the entire neighborhood to their presence.

Carana Extra

Mission accomplished! (I have no idea who says this line for the record)

Me and Hashi-yan find shops with lax security on our computers at work…

Y-You’re talking kind of loud, you know…
We’re BFFs forever! Yeah, sharing the same fate and all! And if you ever turn on us…

The entire group clicks their tongues and motions their thumbs away from their necks.

After a second, Maki makes the same gesture.

Well, it’s guys like him that you gotta worry about.

A dog barks noisily in the background.

Uh, wow, man. This is a big-rear end room. Like, look at that bed, it’s massive! Not just in Japanese terms, either! It’s easily twice his height!

Maki places something inside the drawer.

The literal translation of the original Japanese version of the Phan-Site is the “Ask the Phantom Thieves Channel,” so close enough.

If… If only the others… would just disappear...

The sounds of Maki’s quickening heartbeat are audible.

Goddammit Maaku, we really gotta work on that Proficiency when we get back to you.

You’re not Mr. Ushimaru! Imposter!

The rest of the class begins laughing.

Music: Wicked Plan

Ah, the good old days of just loving doing and saying whatever the hell we wanted out in public, without a care in the world.

Shibuya these days. There’s extortion, beatdowns… A gang of crooks that rips off restaurants, even!
Gang of crooks? Sounds like bad news…

It’s this post on the Ask-a-Thief Channel…

Stop breathing down Maaku’s neck, Ryuji.

I did look into it myself…
Seriously? “I’m gonna end up dead...”Why doesn’t this kid speak up? Like there aren’t tons of options, like going to the police?

Ryuji, you’re a Phantom Thief. NO COPS.

Hey, come on. Lower your voice!

Maybe this choice of hideout was ill-conceived? NAH.

(whispering) Hey, my bad.
We need to take care of this before it’s too late.

I should mention that Yusuke’s Japanese voice is loving absurdly deep. It’s only like an octave higher than Other Noted High Schooler Jotaro Kujo, whose Japanese voice is already the deepest sound audible by humans. Hilariously, both are portrayed in English by Matthew Mercer.

Wait, what? How did we find this dude? If we have his name, then I guess, but why would he give us his own name instead of the target’s? And if we have any of their names, shouldn’t we just be going into the Metaverse? We don’t generally do more investigating than we have to, which is kind of a flaw with our methodology, to be fair.

Another pretty good shot, here.

Music: Suspicion

“Yo, should we have our burglary meeting with that weird kid with the glasses just staring at us from behind that tree?”
“It’ll be fine, don’t worry about it.”

You serious? Both of you?

The thing is, our security firm, see… Well, you know. Thanks to that geezer of a painter everybody’s raving about now… Thanks to him, our company’s toast.

Looks like the Phantom Thieves taking down Madarame had some negative repercussions for the security company he hired.

If you’re fired, we won’t get any more leads for these easy gigs!

This is so messed up! Why should I have to suffer collateral damage? Well, but don’t you worry. I’m gonna find our next part-time gig, all right?
Hey, no need to go overboard or anything…

Morgana, why your head so smol

Another neat artistic choice: the last five images are one continuous shot from Maaku’s perspective, starting with the moon, panning down to the house (with Maki), and crossing the street to the pole. It’s nifty.

And we’ve found… the house of the dude who called us? How does this help us? Also, why is Maaku’s Shujin badge so blurry? Well, whatever. We’re only a third of the way through this OVA, so we’ll check back later for more.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

For the moment the only thing the OVA is missing is Makoto trailing Joker desperately trying to be stealthy.