Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just did this over two days and I did not get annoyed. While it's not ideal taking a break from a dungeon helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So I was reading over some older updates and I just realized that I've been spelling the name of the collective non Palace dungeon in this game wrong whenever I post about it, since I thought it was Momentos instead of Mementos, and my eyes glossed over any use of the correct spelling as shown in the game or from other comments.

I honestly thought that the former was the correct way to spell the word "momento" as in a keepsake, that I didn't even know I was spelling it incorrectly my entire life until I did a Google search right now. When I found out about the actual name of the dungeon, I thought it was a reference to memes in general. Apparently, the former is such a common misspelling even after editors have gone through the piece because of the nature of English and words coming from the same root that it's become somewhat accepted as an alternate spelling? I dunno, English is such a goddamn tricksy language.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 3, 2018

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Computer can't tell if you just disconnect the wire from the speakers, it'll just keep pumping music to nothing in particular. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Geomancing posted:

Computer can't tell if you just disconnect the wire from the speakers, it'll just keep pumping music to nothing in particular. :v:

To be fair, I'm stupid

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

RareAcumen posted:

What's new Pussycat!

So glad I wasn't alone in recognizing that.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I thought his dungeon was boring and long, but otherwise okay.

The end part of it is something I actually like.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 111: 9/23: ERROR: NO GIMMICK FOUND

Well, we’ve gotten through the baneful barracks and the foul factory. Time for the abysmal airlocks (I actually don’t mind this part).

Music: Sweatshop

Cool detail that didn’t translate well to the images is that there’s tons of floating detritus outside the airlocks, primarily floating worker robots.

Putting it lightly, I believe such an action would lead to our extermination.

I fixed the portraits.

Wellllll, apparently you’ll be OK for like thirty seconds if you keep your eyes and mouth shut. Huh. Honestly, I woulda thought we’d just explode out there.
Don’t scare us, dammit!

And a new safe room.

Music: Have a Short Rest

Hm, this extreme scenery really makes it clear how distorted the Palace ruler is…
We’re about halfway now, right? We need to hurry up and change my father’s heart!
Now is not the time to get hasty. Let us go about this one step at a time.

What!? Halfway!? That’s loving impossible! It’s been over three hours!

I don’t know if this is an error or meant for a different point in the Palace or simply loving wrong, but don’t worry, we are not only halfway through by any stretch of the imagination. We’ll be out of here in under thirty-five minutes or this update is free.

Also, the previous updates were not free, you all owe me big.

So, the airlocks on the far side have a capital Omega symbol (Ω), while the near side have a lowercase Alpha (α). This will end up being hella confusing but ultimately has no importance whatsoever because it never matters which door in a pair is which, so ignore the symbols on the actual doors. Later airlocks will have a smaller α or Ω underneath the door (not on these for reference, unfortunately), which is actually important, infuriatingly, and we will actually have to pay attention to. I did not realize this or even notice those symbols on those airlocks until I was taking screenshots for this update. I can only imagine how annoying it must be to not be able to figure out anything because you never saw them and the game signposts the wrong information here. I say “I can only assume” because while I’ve heard many a horror story about this part of the Palace… I’ve never run into any trouble here whatsoever. By either sheer blind luck or incredible intellectual aptitude (and it’s not the second one), I have stumbled through this part of the Palace perfectly on the first attempt both times I played it, with a full year between attempts. I’ve just never had any trouble here. Sorry. I’ll try my best to explain the path, though.

All right, let’s open this airlock.

WHOOSH

I guess it’s not a true vacuum outside… but that seriously shaved years off my life.
At least other stuff won’t seem as scary to me anymore…

We ascend to the next level of the Palace.

Sweatshop (Another Version)

This version is notably less good, but at least it’s not the old one at this point.

We're in the next area. Also if you squint really hard you can see the itty-bitty α on the bottom of the airlock door. I can’t believe that they’d put the important part there, and so small.

To think we’d end up flying through space… The awe I felt at seeing that flying bank feels like a distant memory at this point.

Oh, what the gently caress now!?

i’m bored of you so i’m just gonna delete all your poo poo, lol

Wait, what!? No!

bye

*deep breath* Well, uh… looks like I’ll just have to recreate the missing images for this update manually. Oh boy.

Also, goddammit, he left me with the loving crayon portraits.

Some airlocks are working, but others aren’t…?
I hope we can reach our goal with just the ones that are on...

There we go. Any time I “draw” an airlock from now on, the symbol will indicate what type of door it is, not which in its pair it is (actually I’m lazy so it never comes up again). This may make things more confusing, but just think of it as reducing it down to the relevant information. The colors are also important, so uh… hope you’re not colorblind! (I’ll try to label the relevant colors in more complicated scenarios)

Also, yes, some of the airlocks aren’t working right now. We’ll get to why in a second. But Morgana’s wrong, because the exit is dead ahead, and we can’t get through there right now. So, we head right.

Along this path, we come across two switches, the symbols next to them surrounded by a blue border. The alpha is depressed, and the omega is upright. The Omega symbol and switch are also glowing red, but I forgot to put that bit in.

Are these… switches?
There is something written above each one… These symbols…

One of the nearby doors turns on, and another (the one we entered through) becomes inactive.

Oh, so these levers switch the airlocks on and off! It looks like this should open our path through here. This is all on you now, Joker!

So, it seems our goal is to turn on the first door we saw.

Here’s a crude map of the area. We pulled the blue switch, changing it from alpha to omega. Then we head east through the orange omega path. If you want to get this done faster, you can skip this part and head south through the blue omega path, but I wanted to fight more enemies. However you make it to the southmost building, pull the eastern switch to change blue to alpha, head up into the middle building, and pull the switch inside to change orange to omega. Then, go back to the eastern blue switch, change it back to omega, and head back to the northwestern airlock. You’ll be back in the building you found the first switch in, and after pulling that switch to change blue back to alpha, you can head west and finally north to the exit.

I realize now as I write it out that this all seems very complicated and confusing. Well, uh… this was the simple one.

THE MAJESTY OF SPAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!!!!!

Hm… Soaring through space is quite fun once you’ve become accustomed to it!
I bet bungee jumping’s nothing compared to this! Not that I’ve done it!
Ugh, can you guys be serious for one second!?

This is Mithras. It uses Heavy Nuke spells and can hit everyone with nasty Physical attacks. It can drain fire, block Nuke, and resist Physical. Weak to Psy, though.

And this is Scathach, and I can’t make any jokes about that name that the Persona 4 Endurance Run hasn’t already. It doesn’t have a weakness, uh-oh! It repels Ice and blocks Curse, can use Maragion and Magarula (Medium Fire and Wind to everyone), and Tempest Slash (Miniscule Physical damage to 1 foe 3 to 5 times). It’s a nasty one, and even if we were to knock it down with a crit or Shinya’s skill, it’s above our level so we can’t acquire it.

Eventually, we make it back to the end.

It looks like this is the end. We did it, you guys!
That was simple! Let’s keep blazing a path through here!

In the next area…

Glad for the safe room, at least.

Now, here’s a map of this area:

Pretty daunting, eh? I’ll explain the switchers in a bit when we get to them.

The first thing we need to do is proceed normally through buildings 1 and 2 until we reach building 3. Once, there we need to make absolutely sure not to activate the lever right there. It’s a trap, the first of two to my limited understanding.

This here’s Kaiwan. He likes to use Heavy Psy and inflict Forget. Weak to Nuke, though it also blocks Psy and Gun.

Ann learns Matarunda to replace Tarunda. It’ll be very handy if I ever decide to use her again.

Eventually we enter a room and the airlock we used to enter turns off behind us. That would be in room 4, going by the map. However, another airlock in front of us turns on at the same time.

Oh… The path we came on has been closed off?
The airlocks seem to have changed. Let’s proceed with caution.

These are the switchers. Every time we go through a green airlock, all other green airlocks will cycle to the opposite state, “on,” or “off.” It’s pretty simple, though I can imagine it causing a real headache in conjunction with some of these other mechanics.

Back to the map:

Here’s the steps to complete this area:
  1. Head north from building 1 to building 2.
  2. Head east from building 2 to building 3.
  3. Head to the southeast exit of building 3 without pulling the northern lever. This is crucial. There’s probably still a solution if you do that, but I don’t know what it is. Exit to building 4.
  4. Head north to building 5.
  5. Head east to building 6.
  6. Go to the easternmost airlock and go to building 9.
  7. Go west to building 8.
  8. Go west again to building 7.
  9. Pull the lever in building 7.
  10. South to building 6 again.
  11. Middle airlock to building 8.
  12. East to building 9.
  13. North to building 10.
  14. Pull the lever in building 10.
  15. North to building 11.
  16. Pull the lever in building 11.
  17. South to building 12.
  18. Using the blue airlock on the eastern wall, head back to building 10. Using the green airlock is another trap.
  19. Pull the lever in building 10.
  20. Use the green airlock on the southwestern wall to go back to building 12.
  21. Head south to building 13.
  22. Head west to building 14.
  23. South to building 2.
  24. West to building 15.
That’s it. Awful complex, don’t it sound? Well, it’s not, really. I did it by accident twice, and it only took me twenty minutes this time (which includes a death). Most of the time you really only have one option for advancement. Still, I’ve heard some bad things about this part of the palace. Be wary.

Oooh, we’re finally reachin’ the end. That poo poo was easy!
Uh, Skull…? All you did was follow Joker.

And that’s the entire Palace. We’ll see the Treasure later after I throw my computer in the dumpster, but just know this was something of a trial. The weird thing is that if you subtract deaths (and even if you add some time for the fact that I didn’t fuse anything) and time spent loving around for dialogue in the security card game, this is honestly a pretty short Palace. Well, shorter than Kaneshiro’s or Futaba’s, anyway. It took me four hours all things considered, which is par, but again I wasted a lot of time here.

Well, at least I never have to do this again! Until NG+!

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 4, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You do have a save just before the NG+ bonus boss right? I wouldn't care if NG Joker is not Hamiru.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Omobono posted:

You do have a save just before the NG+ bonus boss right? I wouldn't care if NG Joker is not Hamiru.

I have a clear save that I've never once touched because I started this LP like two days after I beat the game! :v:

e: we'll see that boss, but it might be a bit after the game ends, just saying

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 4, 2018

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arist posted:

And this is Scathach, and I can’t make any jokes about that name that the Persona 4 Endurance Run hasn’t already. It doesn’t have a weakness, uh-oh! It repels Ice and blocks Curse, can use Maragion and Magarula (Medium Fire and Wind to everyone), and Tempest Slash (Miniscule Physical damage to 1 foe 3 to 5 times). It’s a nasty one, and even if we were to knock it down with a crit or Shinya’s skill, it’s above our level so we can’t acquire it.

Well, at least she isn't throwing Gae Bolgs at you like she would if this was Fate Grand Order...

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

because I had been drinking throughout the rest of the dungeon that third set of airlocks really hosed me up

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the third set of airlocks hosed me up because i'm a huge idiot

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

While I actually remember, there's a week left to get a submission in for the Best Girl bullshit. Even if it's dumb or throwaway, I wanna see it. Of course, I welcome and encourage longer, more thoughtful stuff, but even if it's something short and stupid that gives you a chuckle, hey, it works. I need to go back and check the earlier entries again but I think the frontrunner right now is one of the aforementioned short and stupid ones, so don't worry about it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Someone contacted me about a submission that contains extremely minor Confidant spoilers, and I said they could post it with some stipulations, under spoiler tags, just FYI. I mainly approved it because I liked what it was going for, but if you have any confusion over what is or isn't allowed just give me a heads up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I have a clear save that I've never once touched because I started this LP like two days after I beat the game! :v:

e: we'll see that boss, but it might be a bit after the game ends, just saying

Not surprised to hear that as while not as bad as other bonus bosses, it still does take some time building up to be able to really handle them.

Also on a more general note I think the biggest issue with this palace is the one you highlighted. That it can seem to be a matter of chance about how people will handle the various sections as just little things can make the difference of weather or not you get what the puzzle is asking for.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Someone contacted me about a submission that contains extremely minor Confidant spoilers, and I said they could post it with some stipulations, under spoiler tags, just FYI. I mainly approved it because I liked what it was going for, but if you have any confusion over what is or isn't allowed just give me a heads up.

That was me, but it turns out I'm hopeless at cropping things on mobile so I guess I'll wait until it's not a spoiler to post it.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

[Blue Labrador Attempt #1]

The only logical choice is to Steal Haru's Heart (er...metaphorically so. Not in the pseudo-literal sense we've excelled at so far)

Undeserved or not, Maaku is blackened. The boy has a criminal record. An assault charge. Know what that means? Fuckin RIP good employment. RIP a cushy 401k. Big Bang Burger middle management may be the loftiest goal he can aspire to. Or maybe he can be a lobbyist for No-Good Tora but let's be honest, there's no money in that; we've all seen at least one episode of House of Cards. If we wish to avoid a meager and weak existence, our only choice is to gold dig. We must Date Haru.

Plus, unlike Ann or Makoto, you know Haru loving digs her Phantom Thief outfit and that's just plain wholesome.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Sae is marginally less likely to convict us if we're dating her.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Or if we're part of the family. I say Makoto is our girl. She's been aligned on this path of justice and truth for a while, and seems to be an accepting and decent person. Not to say the others aren't, but she's a good match for the person that Maaku is growing into.

Anne, Haru, Hifumi, and Futaba are all people who are going through some changes and perspectives right now, and they need and deserve strong friends to help them through. Don't make things more difficult.

Also Yusuke and Ohya are definitely never gonna be interested, Ryuji isn't open minded enough. Fortune teller isnt the type I think that would be good for Maaku.

A second vote for me does go towards Our shady doctor friend, whom appears incredibly open minded and nonchalant about life, much like Maaku him.

I will accept Kawakami as well. But because I don't think she'd ever actually accept, nor would Maaku truly vs interested. Its simply a powerful statement to tell her that her student cares and appreciates her, which is good for someone who's forced to feel the way she has been.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Well, at least she isn't throwing Gae Bolgs at you like she would if this was Fate Grand Order...

Actually Scathach explained that Gae Bulg is the name of spear techniques, (Spear of Impaling Barbed Death and The Spear of Striking Death Flight) while the spears themselves are nameless, which is why she has so freaking many of them. It's within reason the spear Cu Cullen uses is itself called Gae Bulga is because he would say that name while using either it's anti-unit causality refraction technique or it's anti-army aerial attack, probably because Scathach drilled it into him.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

cdyoung posted:

Actually Scathach explained that Gae Bulg is the name of spear techniques, (Spear of Impaling Barbed Death and The Spear of Striking Death Flight) while the spears themselves are nameless, which is why she has so freaking many of them. It's within reason the spear Cu Cullen uses is itself called Gae Bulga is because he would say that name while using either it's anti-unit causality refraction technique or it's anti-army aerial attack, probably because Scathach drilled it into him.

This might be the most :psyduck: post in the thread, mostly because it's the most Anime thing in it thus far, including the literal OVA

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

GeneX posted:

This might be the most :psyduck: post in the thread, mostly because it's the most Anime thing in it thus far, including the literal OVA

Sorry for it being so off topic, on a different forum I've sorta taken it upon myself to correct fate lore people get wrong.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

cdyoung posted:

What the hell does any of this mean

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Doodmons posted:

I kinda got what he was saying.

In FGO and Fate in general, Scathach and Cu Chullain both attack primarily by using red barbed spears, Scathach by hurling a bunch of them or attacking with two, and Cu using one. Since in most mythologies, Gae Bolg is the name of the spear that Cu wields, everyone calls the weapon Cu attacks with Gae Bolg, and because Scathach uses similar spears to attack, I made a reference to her hurling a bunch of them at you.

Apparently, in Fate, according to what he said, Scathach's spears themselves are nameless, and Gae Bolg is the name of the techniques that Cu learned from her; either his single target Gae Bolg subtitled the Spear of Impaling Barbed Death which is a technique that reverses causality in that it always hits you in the heart before it he thrusts, causing death (unless you also have some way to change causality or have a high enough Luck skill) and then impaling your body with thorns; or Gae Bolg subtitled the Spear of Striking Death Flight, which is a technique where the spear is thrown from the air hard enough that it singlehandedly destroys armies. So I was wrong in saying that Scathach hurls Gae Bolgs at people, since the spears are nameless and Gae Bolg is the name of an attack that employs those spears.

tl;dr, :goonsay: about Fate.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 11:19 on May 6, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doodmons posted:

anime

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The original source material is pretty loving anime tbh.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this is my OC he is strongest in the world and used to be a dark evil god-king until the second strongest warrior dueled him and taught him the ways of honor, and the goddess of love and war is in love with him

I call him Gilgamesh

e: apparently some historians agree that Gilgamesh was an actual king who had all this poo poo written about him lol

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

I kinda got what he was saying.

tl;dr, :goonsay: about Fate.

got it in one. :viggo:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Really Pants posted:

this is my OC he is strongest in the world and used to be a dark evil god-king until the second strongest warrior dueled him and taught him the ways of honor, and the goddess of love and war is in love with him

I call him Gilgamesh

e: apparently some historians agree that Gilgamesh was an actual king who had all this poo poo written about him lol

Thanks to the Epic of Gilgamesh I learned that the path to civilisation lies through sex with prostitutes
:goonsay:

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
History nerd incoming! There are a number of myths involving Gilgamesh and historians suspect there’s a real king buried under there somewhere. The best known one, The Epic of Gilgamesh, shows him as a young, arrogant king who goes on adventures and comes back sadder and wiser. If you asked a Hollywood producer to film it, he’d say “Standard adventure bromance. No problem.” Some things never change.

Going back to Persona, am I the only one who felt there was a sexual subtext in the interactions with the doctor?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BurningStone posted:

Going back to Persona, am I the only one who felt there was a sexual subtext in the interactions with the doctor?

This is the internet, the answer to this question is always no.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BurningStone posted:

Robert California posted:

There is no such thing as a product. Don't ever think there is. There is only sex. Everything is sex. You understand what I'm telling you is a universal truth, Toby.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 112: 9/23-9/25: Executions Are Better With Friends

All right, finally purged everything and can get back to working on this fine Let’s Play. But first, a little payback.

There.

AH JESUS

Back to the old music, though it won’t be playing for long.

So this is where they’re being used.
But what are they…? It’s hard to tell just from looking…
Dude, let’s leave the factory tour for later. We gotta focus on the Treasure right now!
Huh. It’s rare to hear Skull say something sensible…

Portraits fixed. Also, are you really gonna try to start poo poo with Ryuji already, cat? Goddamn, we just got through your last spat.

Final saferoom of the Palace, go.

Dude, I could totally get used to all this flyin’ through space poo poo! But we’re almost at the end…
……
You don’t look so good, Oracle. Is everything OK?
She must have gotten motion sickness…
It’s not much further to the Treasure. Hang in there, Oracle!
Mm… I’ll try.

Cute character beat, here.

drat, we just bought a Hero Eyepatch. At least we get the Ointments, which let us reflect a Physical or magical attack, respectively.

There’s the Treasure, dead ahead.

Music: Disquiet

But we haven’t found any information about the mental collapses. That bothers me…
Oh yeah, you’re right…
Maybe he’s hidin’ it? We got this far. Wouldn’t it be better to just squeeze the truth outta the guy?

That plan is fine by me.
Let’s send out the calling card and take his Treasure then. You can decide when we do so.

>Return to the real world
Now returning to the real world from Okumura’s Palace. Thank you for your hard work.

We finally secured our route to the Treasure! All we need to do now is send the calling card.
Sooo? When’re we gonna send it? We don’t wanna be too hasty… but sitting around is pretty annoying. I guess just lemme know when we’re meeting at the hideout next. I’ll be counting on you, Joker!

Music: Beneath the Mask

Huh? What happened?
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, y’know the whole kerfuffle between you and Mona?

“Kerfuffle” is a way of putting it, sure.

Do you really gotta bring that up again?
It’s all good. It was because of your fight that we met Haru, after all.
Thank you. I wouldn’t be able to do this without your help.
Now is not the time to thank us. The finishing touch still remains.
The calling card, right? What do I need to do?
Once he does that, we’ll meet up and discuss the details.
I’ll prepare myself for that. I leave it in your capable hands, Hamiru-kun.
This is Haru’s first mission, and we’re going after her father. Give word when you’re ready.

A man living in Tokyo was arrested by police for running a scam. He tricked victims into paying him money with the empty promise of getting to meet #Millennials.

Sometimes, that name we chose really pays off. Also, I hope this wasn’t our “good buddy” Fishy Hawker.

Some people are just really bad at heart. I’d like to take them all out someday, but…

Anon: ppl sure talk big on anon

For some reason this one makes me crack up.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Music: Everyday Days

I’m sure you must have a better understanding of the resolve that drives a bushido master.

Maaku gains a special Guts +3. It’s seven points instead of five because the book was three sessions long instead of two.

Music: So Boring

Stores will use whatever reasons they can to pull in customers. This season in particular. Ah yes… People also say that autumn is for sports. A while back, baseball was the national sport, but these days people have been into soccer. As you know, black and white are the common colors for soccer balls. Now then, Hamiru-san. Could you take a look at this picture?

Correct. When they stated broadcasting soccer on TV, the screens were still black and white. Color combinations like white and brown were difficult to make out.

A contrast of colors stretching over a surface, uninterrupted… Don’t you think it’s elegant?

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

A recent design that’s caught my eye is the Moon Burger, which uses an egg to represent the moon. I’m well aware of the bad rumors surrounding Okumura Foods, but you can’t argue with hunger…
You think someone like her really eats hamburgers?

Music: Tokyo Daylight

First thing we do upon leaving school is head over to Chihaya.

Then we save. Double nice.

Now, we head over to Jinbocho to get a new book, now that we’ve finished the first one.

Well then, let me sell you another book you may enjoy.

Now, we head over to the hideout.

Music: Suspicion

But she’s new to the team, right? Shouldn’t we do what we did for Yusuke and Makoto?
Ah, you mean the Phantom Thief Basic Training. There’s much we need to teach her.

We have a name for it?

Please do!
Someone’s excited.
Then again, I already told her the gist of things. What other stuff should we talk about…?
Oh, about how we defeated my fiance in there… Will that have any effect on my father?
Nope. They did something similar in my Palace, but I’m perfectly fine.
I-Is that so…?
But man, that cognitive person stuff is crazy! He was so similar that even Haru couldn’t tell!

Except for the part where he turned into a robot.

That might have just been a coincidence. Usually cognitive people look totally different. The version of me in Kamoshida’s castle was terrible.
Ah, and the version of me at the museum was a painting, not even a person.
Now that you mention it, why isn’t there a cognitive version of me? Is it somewhere in there?
Well, I could imagine a couple of reasons why we haven’t seen it… but I don’t think you’d like them.
……
Come on, don’t think about that dark stuff. Anyways, if a dude’s cognition can change the scenery or even the people in the Palace… Couldn’t you use that to make a dream world filled with places and people you love!? Man, Palaces are super promising! My greatest hopes and dreams might still come true! Well, that’s kinda impossible this time, hehehe… but maybe we should try in the future!?

*sigh*

Boo. Makoto, you’re no fun.

...In any case, if Haru followed that conversation, there’s nothing else we need to teach her.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

I finally figured out why the “mission active” music plays in Yongen now. It’s not about the location of the target, it’s about the location of the hideout.

All right, let’s do this!

Music: Suspicion

Why did Makoto and Yusuke switch places?

OK… I place this in my father’s study, and the Treasure will appear, correct?
If he notices the calling card, then yes. Are you afraid of doing this to your own father?
To be honest… a little.
Try to recall your anger. It will guide you in the right direction.
...So we’re carrying out this plan tomorrow?

...Mm-hm.
We can laugh or cry all we want, but we only get one shot at this. Everyone… I’m counting on you!
*nodding in unison*

Music: Beneath the Mask

Not since Okumura took first place in the rankings.
Perhaps the culprit behind them is being cautious due to the success we’ve had recently.
So it’s cause of us! drat, I’m glad we’re famous!
But it’s highly probable they’ll become active again. Especially if they think the Phantom Thieves aren’t actively attempting to do anything…
We’re also gonna be in trouble if we let public opinion go down the path it’s heading.
Yes, there have been a great deal more instigating comments lately. And we’re all trying so hard…
Our inactivity must be upsetting. We should keep that in mind.

Nah, instead I think I’ll go downstairs.

Oh goddammit, Naoto But Prettier showed up. I guess he escaped the hell realm we accidentally trapped him in!

I simply happened to be passing by, and had an urge to drink a cup of fine coffee here.

Haha, how cold of you. Are you busy, perhaps?

Man, nothing fazes this guy.

My apologies. I’m sure it must be closing time soon. I will be on my way soon enough. I must be going now. The coffee was delicious.

We followed a student who worked part-time at one of these companies. What we saw was a young person pressured by immense responsibilites.
Looks like Okumura Foods isn’t the only company like this…

There isn’t much you can do to prepare at this point, but make sure you give this all you’ve got.

We decide to make two Treasure Traps (which boost the rate of encountering Treasure Demons) and three Lockpicks. One of the Treasure Traps gets a double craft proc.

Maaku gains Proficiency +3.

So true!
So much for being a great detective. Akechi-kun is finished.
I’m really curious about their true identities!
Those calling card posters are collector’s items now!

Music: Desire

Wait, his sin is greed!? Uhh… maybe I was a bit hasty in writing off the possibility of him being an unflattering stereotype.

Your success and global fame exists due to the tyranny you rain over your employees. Thus, we have decided to make you confess all your crimes with your own mouth. Hmph. From, #Millennials…

None of this is in quotation marks, but I’m gonna assume the “Hmph” is a little editorializing from our good buddy Kunikazu here.

Don’t make me repeat myself. Give it to the police. That’s an order. These scoundrels have threatened me. Aren’t the police supposed to side with law-abiding citizens?

How is he using the phone through his helmet?

Music: Disquiet

This is different from normal. He has some nerve, delivering the calling card to the police himself.
Either he’s certain his heart won’t be changed, or he’s colluded with the police from the beginning…
As strange as it is for me to say… I could see that being the case.

“Take him down, Phantom Thieves!” “I don’t care what the Phantom Thieves do as long as they show up haha.” “Just do it quick lol.”
They’re just saying whatever they want. At this point all they care about is seeing those in power beg for forgiveness.
Dammit! This isn’t a game…!

PRESS X TO ADVANCE TEXT

The means and the ends have been reversed. We’re starting to be seen purely as entertainment…
But we gotta do this! We can’t just drop everything now!
Considering the existence of the Palace, his desires are indeed distorted… In a sense, the earlier we pull the root, the better…

It’s not like we can come back another time, guys. We already sent the calling card. There’s no second chance here.

And given the issue concerning Haru’s fiance, we don’t have another choice in the matter…

There’s also that, yes.

If we don’t… then everything we been doin’ up until now would just be for nothing!
I believe this is best too. After hearing my father speak… I saw no remorse in him.
Ryuji and Haru are right.

Holy poo poo, a totally unqualified agreement between Morgana and Ryuji. It’s a miracle!

Honestly, everything the public is talking about does bother me a little… But Okumura may just be the one behind the mental collapses. We can’t leave this be.

I feel like he’s hiding something. Something big…
True… And we already sent the calling card, after all.
Let’s do this like we always do… and steal his Palace’s Treasure.

Music: Life Will Change (Instrumental Version)

Before we take on the big bossman, let’s do some fusing. We haven’t done any of that in a while.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Oh?

Our master admires the progress of your rehabilitation, and hence has given you use of a special ritual.
It requires the cooperation of the Phantom Thieves who stand against ordeals in the hidden world… It’s a special fusion called Public Execution!
Apparently luck plays a great role in this ritual. It will determine what form your new Persona takes. Additionally, I have heard that there are some special powers only attainable through this method.
Basically, whether or not you make good use of it is up to you! You better devote yourself, Inmate!
The development of rituals is now complete, but your rehabilitation shall continue onward. Please keep pushing forward toward that ultimate goal.

First thing we fuse is Kikuri-Hime, from Lamia and Take-Minakata. I should probably mention before I forget that I don’t have any of the DLC Personas, which can screw up which result you get… except Izanagi and Izanagi Picaro, which were digital preorder bonuses. This is probably far too late in the LP to actually help anyone, though. Those DLC Personas, I should mention, are largely game-breakers and thus not really worth using anyway. I kind of regret even selling that free Soma at the start for the same reason even if the earlygame of P5 is kinda hosed so as to almost require it for *optimization*.

I shall be your mask and guide you along the border between life and death…

Kikuri-Hime was a priestess that mediated on behalf of the goddess Izanami so she could debate her husband, the god Izanagi. Seems like he was probably sleeping on the couch after he (checks notes) abandoned Izanami in the underworld, hyuk.

Next up, Kushinada from Mothman and Kin-Ki.

It is time I become a new mask and free the pristine power hidden within your mortal flesh…

Kushinada was the wife of Susano-o, promised to him in exchange for his defeat of the serpent Orochi. Pretty much just the first arc of Okami, this bit.

Now, let’s try out Public Execution. Here’s how I think this works, which is always a great thing to hear, especially from me, the guy who’s always right: You send a Persona, and it automatically gets fused with a Persona someone else sent via Public Execution, kinda like Wonder Trading from Pokémon. Given that it’s been a year since release and there’s still no wait time, I’m going to guess the results are not one-to-one and it simply gives us the result based on a recent Persona sent rather than waiting for someone else to use Public Execution and spitting out the result from there to both users. We can also only use Public Execution once per day for reasons that will quickly become obvious, though you can savescum to get around that and just reload until you find something you wanna stick with.

Let’s send another Kin-Ki. Sure, why not?

Even we don’t have any idea what this Persona’s gonna turn into. You’re sure of this, right?
>Go ahead.

Besides not showing us the second Persona involved, it goes down just like a regular fusion.

The radiant light and somber darkness within me are both within your mask now.

This is the Persona we received. It’s two levels above ours, but that’s not an issue for Public Execution. In fact, this is probably a lesser result, all things considered. We put in a Persona 12 levels below ours and got one two levels above ours. Public Execution unlocks so late that people generally aren’t putting trash in like I am, they’re trying to game it for stuff way above their level and exclusive skills. Oh yeah, there’s exclusive skills, too. Almighty Boost (25% stronger Almighty attacks), Almighty Amp (50% stronger Almighty attacks), and Magic Ability, which boosts all magic damage by 25%. All of those stack. Yeah.

However, we don’t get any Arcana Burst experience, and we can’t control what skills we pass on, but that’s a small price to pay for a chance at something loving amazing. We probably won’t gently caress with this much because the results can be game-breaking and impossible to replicate.

Anyway, Girimehkala is the mount of the demon lord Mara. Those who stare into its eye are said to fall ill with a sickness that cannot be cured.

Back to regular fusions, we’re gonna make a Unicorn with Zouchouten and Matador.

Me become your mask, protect you from unclean thing.

It’s a loving unicorn. You know what this is. Pure maiden, healing horn, blah blah blah

And this is OH JESUS KILL IT WITH FIRE

Sorry, this *retch* is Hecatoncheires, which we’ll fuse with Unicorn and Lilim. It’s actually the next target of our Strength requests, so we make sure to give it Lilim’s Masukunda as one of its skills.

These one hundred hands which have emerged victorious in such varied wars are now held within your mask.

Hecatoncheires are giant beings from Greek myth. Their name means “those with a hundred arms,” and they had fifty heads as well. They were thrown into Tartarus (not that one) by their father, Uranus (ohhhhhhhhh snap). Zeus eventually freed them to help him fight the Titans. Can’t believe something this weird is now in Maaku.

We don’t have enough time to get to the boss fight here, and there’s not enough time in this update or the next for a Strength visit today, so we’ll turn in this request later. The important thing is that after these fusions, we’re prepared.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 20, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Girimehkala is a beast who works great as a general persona for the mc. There are only a handful of enemies wwith bless skills and his reflect all physical attacks makes the mc a lot safer from some of the more dangerous enemy attacks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I hope Spaceman attacks you with the Cosmic Burger.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

quote:

Naoto But Prettier showed up.

Psh
I doubt Akechi would have won a swimsuit competition

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

we don't talk about that day

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Hecatonheires is also a boss in Etrian Odyssey 2 and Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Arist posted:

Part 112: 9/23-9/25: Executions Are Better With Friends

Kikuri-Hime was a priestess that mediated on behalf of the goddess Izanami so she could debate her husband, the god Izanami. Seems like he was probably sleeping on the couch after he (checks notes) abandoned Izanami in the underworld, hyuk.

I think you meant Izanagi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucania
May 1, 2009
Lucania: Attempt #1

Romance Ryuji, just for the sole reason that I'd like to see how Maaku comes to terms with falling for a loud-mouthed idiot who has feuded with his cat. I mean...

Arist posted:

DO IT, FISTFIGHT THE CAT, I’VE BEEN WAITING A YEAR FOR THIS

...was this the moment it all fell into place?