Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Also romance Haru because I like her and I feel like she doesn't get enough recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

My final suggestion; Lord_Magmar Attempt #5: We should romance ourselves through the medium of our Personas, with extra attention placed upon Arsene. After all, who else could understand us and all we stand for, who else could be there for us at all times, who else but our own psyche.

Whilst we practice loving thyself we should use this confidence in ourselves and our abilities to then flirt with everyone else because we will truly understand what it is to be a phantom thief and steal the hearts of all our friends, metaphorically.

Also Maaku Hamiru the incorrigible flirt is a great mental image.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 7, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kith Attempt #1:

Out of all of the companions, only Makoto has a psychic motorcycle. That alone should be reason enough.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
date ann to piss off the cat

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
McTimmy: Attempt #1

Futaba because that means Sojiro becomes Maaku's real dad.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

popecrunch attempt 3 I think:the cat, because any other option is anime as gently caress. pork the cat.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
free Trapt CD attempt 1: dote up a cop.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

CommaToes posted:

date ann to piss off the cat

This is the strongest argument I've heard for Ann

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 113: 9/25: Invaders Must Die

Music: Life Will Change (Instrumental Version)

And we’re off to take the Treasure. While I’m here, I’m sure some of you who know the fight ahead will wonder why I’m not switching out Ryuji for Yusuke and Makoto for Morgana. Well, they are marginally useful in the coming battle, but I have my reasons, which I’ll go into at the appropriate time. Also, I’ve kind of made it a point by now not to switch out Makoto. Makot-owns, more like.

Using the good ol’ safe room warps, we can head right back to Weapon Production.

Around here is where I have the brilliant idea to swap out everyone’s accessories. Who needs that pesky SP regen, right? Spoiler alert: I will come to regret this.

Is that… the frisbee Skull mentioned before? That’s what they’re making here!?

Suck it, Wham-O corporation, your trademark is a genericized term now. No money for you!

The SS Utopia will soon enter its launch sequence from the shipbuilding dock. After retrieval of the main core, the launch sequence will commence.
The SS Utopia!?
Project: Escape to Utopia… So this is what that was about.
Father did say he was going to ascend into the political world…
So even this company is a stepping stone for him… He will discard this place for his “utopia”…
Wait up… If he gets outta here, we’re not gonna be able to make him tell us about the shutdowns!

Or, you know, change his heart.

You’re right… We gotta hurry! I think we can go further in now!

Sirens begin blaring.

Certain areas may be shut off or destroyed. I repeat, emergency launch sequence will soon be activated. All personnel is [sic] advised to evacuate immediately to a safe area of the facility.

The Treasure is lifted into the air.

You can all stand and watch in despair as you go down along with this base! Your destruction is imminent! Hahahahahahaha!

The Treasure is taken aboard the ship.

Let’s hurry! We need to stop him for certain!
We’re not gonna let him escape!

So, we have ten minutes to get aboard the SS Utopia.

There are enemies in the path, as you might imagine. However, this is by no means difficult.

I get it, Futaba. I can run.

Even with this dick who randomly (it’s actually scripted) pops up in the middle of the hallway to surprise us, it’s no big deal. There’s three fights and all of them are pretty much cake.

We get there with almost five minutes to spare even at a rather leisurely pace. Also, that chest just contains a piece of armor we slap on Haru, it’s nothing that important. Anyway, from here we enter the ship.

Music: Desire

Father…
Haru, you were always so agreeable. Whether it was in school or after, you only ever did as I said. You’ve become so admirable…

Music: Suspicion

What’s gotten into him…?

Oh, you morons can’t possibly fall for this, can you?

Ah yes. Do you remember, Haru…? You cried your eyes out when my work kept me from attending your first sports day.

Is that like field day in elementary school, which was always rad because we didn’t have normal class and just got to run around outside and poo poo? ...Now that I think about that as an “adult,” I think I’d rather just go to class. That sounds exhausting.

It was then that you stopped talking back to me. Honestly… you had me worried. Still, you stood up against me and became an independent young woman… Nothing could make a father happier than seeing that!
You still remember something that happened so long ago…? Back then, you poured your heart into making delicious food. You wanted to bring joy to others… Why did you change…?
F-Forgive me, Haru… But I would never last if my Treasure was stolen! Please don’t do it, I’m begging you…!

Let’s… Let’s end it here…

Ah jeez.

Ah… Haru…

Music: Blood of Villain

What!?

Goddammit, we’re so stupid.

The cold reality of kicking people down is part of business! Virtues and sentiments are for losers.

Is this guy a person or an episode of South Park?

What happiness can be found in acting with justice but losing the battle?
What happiness can be found through profit gained by crushing the hearts of others!?
Better that than fail! I’d much rather destroy others than wallow in the misery of debt! Regardless, I shall soon set sail into the political realm. To the upper echelons of the world! To utopia! My name shall be etched in the annals of history! Make your decision, Haru. If you cast them away, I’ll let you join me on this ship. Stay, and you will be incinerated along with this entire base. Now then, what is your choice!?

Noir!

It’s kinda hard to see but he’s pointing a gun at them.

(to Morgana) What about you there? Don’t you want to get out of here alive? Want to board my ship?

“Hey I’m going to space. Yo random cat, wanna come with?”

You’re fighting against the others, are you not?
Hmph. So you were spying on us.
You’ll gain nothing by staying with them… That’s what you believe, isn’t it? You are absolutely right. Sell them out! Cut them off for your own personal gain! I’ll even give you the switch once we take off. So, do we have a deal? I’ll give you ten seconds. Time is money, after all.

Morgana’s Moment (You can click on this if you want, I guess)

Music: Regret

Don’t take me for such a fool… Everything’s gains and losses for you, isn’t it? I pity you, Mr. CEO. You lived with Haru for seventeen years and you still haven’t realized? In this world, there are tons of things that money and fame can’t buy! What point would there be in only saving myself!? Nobody could replace these guys, period!

Music: Blooming Villain

All right, chill. It wasn’t that cool, guys.

Father…
So much for the negotiation…

Very well then.
Bring it!

Oh yeah, offscreen a floating chair dropped in out of nowhere and he sat in it.

Boss: Kunikazu Mammon Okumura

This is Kunikazu “Mammon” Okumura, and he won’t be our boss for this evening. How so? Well, you’ll see.

For the record, Mammon is the demon associated with the deadly sin of greed. Actually, not just the demon, but the sin personified as a deity and included as one of the seven princes of hell. So, Mammon isn’t just a demon, but greed itself, the god of material things.

Give up…? Try saying that after you’ve taken down my company’s elite soldiers!

Go, my employees! Be the foundation upon which my victory is built…!

I’m nothing without my stunt team workforce.

So, as you can see (or actually, can’t see in this picture, thanks Futaba), we have thirty minutes to defeat Okumura. That’s about twice as much time as we’ll realistically need even if we’re taking our time, so don’t worry about it. Its real purpose here is just to make it super obvious when I use footage from a different take.

I should also mention that these enemies are the same ones we encountered as minibosses throughout the Palace, weaknesses and all. In fact, these are the only times during a “boss” that we can hit a weakness or get a critical hit, and likewise the only opportunity in a “boss fight” we’ll have to Baton Pass. Why not bring Yusuke instead of Ryuji, then? Well, even with Yusuke’s slightly higher Physical stat, Ryuji just has better skills for this situation. Swift Strike hits everything 3-4 times, and if he gets a critical hit, then every hit on that enemy also crits. Also, Yusuke’s Baton Pass skills only hit one enemy at a time, and we’re going to spend this phase of the fight dealing with groups that we want to take out as swiftly as possible, meaning party attacks are vital. We could switch out Haru, especially because of her lack of Baton Pass, but she’s also got some good skills for this, like Mapsio and Triple Down, and I’d feel bad missing her dialogue with her father.

Despite the ability to knock enemies here down, we cannot get All-out Attacks, either.

This first round of enemies goes down without getting an action. They also say really hosed-up poo poo like “I CAN FINALLY REST...” when they die, holy crap!

This is Mammon’s cue to summon more with Work Order. For most of this phase, leaving an open enemy slot at the end of your party’s round will cause him to summon more to replace them.

And again.

And again.

AND AGAIN.

I’m not even going to bother going into the weaknesses of these enemies because while some of them are weak to Psy or Fire or Wind or Nuke, we already know most of this from the dungeon, and we’re going to be spending most of our turns spamming Physical and occasionally their weaknesses if they’re weak to Psy for Haru. Other than that, it’s Swift Strike, Swift Strike, Mafreila, Triple Down, with the occasional Mediarama from Makoto. I’m also not really going to go into what they actually do, because unless you’re really doing poorly it should take a few rounds before anyone gets an action. Most of the time an enemy did end up getting a turn here, it was “dazed” and unable to act.

One group proves too much for us to completely take down in a single turn. It also uses a move that inflicts Hunger on Haru. Hunger is pretty common in this fight. It’s an enemy-exclusive status effect, as I have explained earlier, that reduces the afflicted party member’s outgoing damage (but not healing, crucially) to about 30% or so, based on my observation. We could have brought in Morgana instead of Makoto to heal it with Me Patra, but I have my reasons for not wanting to do that.

If an enemy has been alive for longer than a turn, Mammon may use Sacrifice Order (and later, double Sacrifice Orders to affect two different enemies).

The enemy with the red plume of smoke above its head will, you guessed it, explode on its next turn.

It does a lot of damage, but not so much as to be totally devastating. I eat a few of these over the course of this fight because he picks enemies with full health when I needed to heal, and it’s fine.

Hahaha! My workers will obey any order I give to them! Don’t you think their loyalty is incredible!?
I can’t believe this…!

We’re clearly on the last wave, because he’s summoned only one enemy. We take them down (mainly by eating sacrifices) and move on.

Executive Director! Come to me!

Now then fulfill your duty as my right-hand man! For the eternal prosperity of Okumura Foods!

The Executive Director has more health than the other enemies, but still a lot less than a normal boss would, which makes sense. He can apparently be knocked down, but I only managed to do this once on a lucky crit and it was also the attack that killed him, so maybe it’s just really rare.

He also doesn’t have that many moves in his arsenal. He’ll use Executive Punch to deal a lot of damage (almost always to Haru, weirdly), but for this phase that’s all I saw.

Mammon will also use Famine’s Breath to attempt to inflict Hunger on a party member. He’ll later also use Famine’s Scream to attempt to inflict it on the entire party. Besides that, he can use Tarunda and Rakunda to reduce a party member’s Attack or Defense, and Dekaja to remove party buffs.

Work harder! Contribute more! The fate of my company rests upon how hard you work!

After getting it down to 70% or so, this will happen, and the Executive Director will change tactics.

FOR THE ETERNAL PROSPERITY OF MY COMPANY.

The Executive Director will charge up for his next attack.

I’LL MAKE YOU INTO A HUMAN BURGER!

Delicious!

What happens if you don’t block? Well...

That happens.

So we guard next time.

Still does a lot, but manageable.

Now, the Executive Director can also use Makarakarn to reflect one magic attack.

The main reason I don’t really worry about Hunger in this fight is due to a little quirk with the Big Bang Challenge attack.

See how Makoto was actually healed to full by the attack? Well, she was hungry. That’s the joke. Any party members with Hunger don’t need to block and can take the attack safely, leaving them free to attack (for reduced damage) or heal. The attack also heals the Hunger effect, naturally.

Now, this can all be ruined if Ryuji’s Harisen Recovery activates and heals the status effect before the attack hits, but it’s usually fine.

Also you may notice I’m about to run out of SP! I should not have switched my accessories!

You carry the Okumura Foods company name! Kill those thieves, even if it costs you your life!

At this point (around 25%), I believe the Executive Director will begin just using Big Bang Order/Big Bang Challenge over and over until it dies. Probably.

Grr, someone! Is there anyone here!?

Wh-Why isn’t anyone coming!?
Father… You’ve been forsaken even by your own employees… Let’s end this, Joker!

Makoto can take him down in a single Mafreila.

And that’s the fight.

Music: Victory

Ryuji learns Mazionga to replace Mazio. Some might suggest that he keep Mazio because he’s just using it to hit weaknesses, but we’re not using his magic attacks enough for it to make a real difference.

Makoto could have learned Nuke Break, but it’s garbage so she doesn’t.

And Haru learns Psy Boost, which gives her a 25% boost to Psy skills.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That sure was(n't) a boss fight with Shadow Mettaton.

But there was a giant burger attack and that was all I needed.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 8, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I don't know where the P5 anime is plotwise at this moment, but I do hope that for this boss they make Joker immune to the Big Bang Challenge, and then show a flashback of him clearing the challenges in the real world.

I do like the intro to this fight. Okumura is going to get creamed and he knows it, so he desperately tries to get the party to betray each other.
Although we could have used less of the party being the densest idiots ever to be honest; it's not like it was needed, I'd bet :10bux: he actually has a McDuck-style trapdoor in his real world office so his Palace sanctum should be more booby-trapped than an ancient temple.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
looking forward to hearing the reason for Morgana being replaced (not like I ditched him back at the start of the dungeon already)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeafNote posted:

looking forward to hearing the reason for Morgana being replaced (not like I ditched him back at the start of the dungeon already)

Oh, that was just because I didn't really see a reason to bother with using Me Patra to heal Hunger. Some of the enemies are weak to Wind and others to Nuke so it's kind of a wash and I prefer not switching out Makoto.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Omobono posted:

I don't know where the P5 anime is plotwise at this moment, but I do hope that for this boss they make Joker immune to the Big Bang Challenge, and then show a flashback of him clearing the challenges in the real world.

They just started the Yusuke and Madarame plot this past episode, so there's a while to go.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

GhostStalker posted:

They just started the Yusuke and Madarame plot this past episode, so there's a while to go.

I'm really hoping they handle the whole thing with Ann better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Considering how P4's anime handled Kanji's dungeon, that's probably wise. It was pretty much an extended sequence of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU_Yi37On1c

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For the record, since the final enemy will always attack Haru, you can just have her spam Tetrakarn on herself. It does more damage than any of her attacks, and reduces the healing you need to do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Clarste posted:

For the record, since the final enemy will always attack Haru, you can just have her spam Tetrakarn on herself. It does more damage than any of her attacks, and reduces the healing you need to do.

I did end up doing this on some of the attempts you didn't see, because she takes a lot of loving damage from Executive Punch.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 113.5: Side Note: Some Trivial Bullshit

There are a few things that we never got to show off relevant to the last update, just due to the structure of it as a boss fight update.

Music: Life Will Change (Instrumental Version)

First, we get ambushed.

But what’s this?

Why, it’s Position Hack, which not only gives us an opportunity to All-out Attack, but also gets us out of that pesky ambush situation by changing the “surrounded” formation to the normal line-up. Again, this can only proc when we don’t get the ambush. It’s also definitely more common when we get ambushed, seeing as how it procced twice in a row when I failed to run past these guys on one of my takes.

Also worth noting is that Hifumi’s Kakoi Kuzushi would have allowed us to get out of an enemy ambush instantly, as opposed to trying to escape when not surrounded.

And so we end up back here, to see what happens when the timer runs out. It will involve waiting.

A lot of waiting.

Ah, here we are.

Weirdly, it doesn’t seem like the timer will actually expire until you take your last turn. Or maybe it’s just a weird quirk that gives you five extra seconds.

What’s goin’ on!?

*snicker* There’s nothing here for you thieves! I’m going to launch you all out into space! Aaahahahaha!

Fuckin’ RIP.

Finally, this is what happens when we let Mammon take a turn after killing the Executive Director. ...Nothing! What a thrilling update this is and not at all filler because I need a little more time before the contest ends!

Here’s his nameplate, in case you care (you don’t).

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 24, 2019

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

*snicker* There’s nothing here for you thieves! I’m going to launch you all out into space! Aaahahahaha!

Fuckin’ RIP.

Gotta wonder what the hell that's representing in the real world. Like, is he pulling a Get Out, or what?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Stroth posted:

Gotta wonder what the hell that's representing in the real world. Like, is he pulling a Get Out, or what?

It's been stated that Okumura's using his company as a springboard to get into politics, so that's probably what him launching his UFO represents. Based on the rest of the Palace he doesn't care about his employees, so maybe he's just going to let his company crash and burn once he's got what he wants out of it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
For all the grief of his dungeon, Mammon is actually one of my favourite bosses in the game. There's just enough complexity that you can use anyone you want here, since everyone can take a potshot at the varying weaknesses here. Previous bosses tended to disadvantage one of your party members (Kaneshiro had a Fire attack so you don't want Yusuke, Wakaba had a Wind attack against Ryuji and is generally anti-magic), but here everyone can do something. Also getting off Baton Pass after Baton Pass is pretty satisfying as each successive attack gets stronger (which helps to mow down the tougher soldiers).

My party of choice here was Morgana/Ann/Yusuke. Morgana and Ann can hit the Fire/Wind weaknesses of the early soliders, Yusuke can hit Ice, Ann can Tarunda the boss to weaken Big Bang, and Morgana can gamble with Miracle Punch to BP to Yusuke for the final soldier. Joker can fill in any gaps.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Leraika attempt #2:

Let's make Arist write
Bad Akechi fanfic as
Summer, too, heats up

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As to why the Executive Director attacks Haru with his punches more often than not. It might be that he's a remodeled/skinned Fiance Robot with more stats/attacks, which would include the attack Haru coding.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hunt11 attempt #1-3

Makoto as there is no better way of throwing an interrogator off balance by saying that you are dating their younger sister.

Sae as that would be the easiest way to convince Sae that she should be on your side.

Ann dating a caring goofball is never a bad idea.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Update incoming, was gonna save this one for tomorrow morning and announce the results with it but I decided to split them up because I got impatient and also wanted to give myself some time tomorrow to do a final check before picking anything. This one's pretty short, just FYI, because we're at just about the absolute maximum I could get through without knowing who we're romancing.

Also I don't feel like staying up late so if you still wanna submit an entry you have until I wake up tomorrow and formally cut it off, which could be anywhere between 7 and 10 AM Eastern time 'cause I'm an extremely sleepy person! Just get them in by tonight, is what I'm saying. Though you don't need to feel pressured, either, because I'm pretty happy with what we've got so far.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 11, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 114: 9/25: Tell Me About Your Childhood

Music: Regret

Yep, seems like it. You and your whole family all suck. Uhh… sorry, Haru.

(to Haru) I will contact your fiance and rescind the marriage offer. This may be the end for Okumura Foods…

*sobbing*
Father…

I admit, I spent large sums of money to help my company grow, and to crush business competitors…
Answer me, dammit! Did you do it or not!?
N-Not personally! I had a contract. All I did was make the requests to have them eliminated!

Holy poo poo! We just blew this thing wide open!

Requests…!? Then there really is a mysterious criminal in people’s Palaces after all!
So it’s true…
What kind of contract did you form… and with whom?
*sobbing uncontrollably*
C’mon, stop cryin’ and tell us!

Dammit, why now…!? Mr. CEO, can’t you stop that thing!?

Okumura does not respond.

Oh well… We can’t just throw our lives away like this.

Morgana grabs the Treasure out of the air.

We’ve taken your Treasure.
Huh?

What’s up, Ann?

There’s one more thing you need to tell us. Have you seen this criminal’s face before?

We don’t got time to get that outta him!
We’ll just have to inquire about it back in the real world.

Ann snaps back into reality and runs away with Makoto. I wonder what’s got her so distracted?

Don’t worry, he’ll be fine! We’ll end up dead if we’re not out of here soon though!

That is what you’ve taught me, Father.

Haru then leaves with the others, leaving Okumura alone in his ship.

Uhhh, what the hell is going on, cause it looks like he just got sho--

Oh gently caress.

Music: Run, Run, Run!

Probably not… Actually, I think it’s impossible!
We’re countin’ on ya, Mona!

Four… Three… Two… One… Goodbye.

I am so glad, after all that, to see this place explode. I don’t even care that we’re still inside.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

*sigh* We did a great job in there.
You know Morgana, you seemed almost normal when you took the Treasure.

Oh, was that all you were so busy thinking about you almost died?

Oh…?

...And that’s the end of that conversation, I guess. No answers here!

Still, he did mention requesting people to be eliminated. He has to know who’s responsible.
Mm…
Mom…

Haru notices the object on the ground, which literally faded into existence in between screenshots.

His Treasure… was a plastic model kit?

Music: Alleycat

I remember Father telling me something before he changed… He said there was a model kit he really wanted back when he was a child. But no matter how much he begged my grandfather, he never got it.

Oh boo hoo, I turned evil because I never got the toy I wanted, don’t you feel so bad for me?

Your family could get like a thousand of those kits though.
Okumura Foods has been around for generations, but it was a small company until my father took over. My grandfather was a good man, but not the best businessman. He’d even lend money with no collateral… It seems the debt collectors were a frequent presence when my father was young…
That must be why… Why Okumura was so willing to pursue his own happiness at the expense of others.

Oh, so it’s actually the experience of being hounded by debt for his entire childhood that caused his desires to become distorted? And the model was just a metaphor for the promise of financial stability? And I’m kind of an rear end in a top hat for making fun of it? Okay!

Whoa!?

It is a staggering price. I’ve heard this can happen to collector’s items, but still…
People’re gonna pay that much for a plastic toy!?
By the way… when exactly is the change of heart supposed to happen?
Soon. That’s all we know. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens until then.

It’s a real pain in the rear end!

Once he has his change of heart, we’ll surely be able to find out who’s behind the mental shutdowns.

Everything. From the Phantom Thieves targeting Okumura to them changing his heart… We’ve lost a convenient source of income, but I’d rather not risk his connection coming to light. Okumura was not fit for the political world to begin with. He should have just behaved himself… ……. Of course. Without fail, sir. I’ve requested that he handle the matter. Arrangements have been made. A sudden mental shutdown will occur at just the right time. We’ll dispose of our disappointing connection and the Phantom Thieves at once. Two birds with one stone.

Wonder what’s going on here?

*evil chuckle*

Probably nothing important.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

And about how much of a dick you were? Good!

I was way too worried about who I am, and how I don’t compare to the other members of our group. Turns out I just don’t have any guts, huh?

I have the perfect remedy. We’re going to Big Bang Burg—wait, poo poo, they’re still evil.

Thanks. I think the reason I was so hung up on wanting to be human is because I needed a goal of my own. Well, not a goal per se, but something bigger… I guess more like… a reason to live. But now that I’m sure I belong with the Phantom Thieves, I know what I want to do. Do you know what it is?

Please god, move out. How am I supposed to cran—I mean, how am I supposed to get any with the cat watching?

That too, eventually. I’m going to do whatever I can to make sure the Phantom Thieves succeed. In other words, our goals are in alignment.

You’d better put some effort in too! Don’t make me regret my choice!
I feel like my bond with Morgana is growing deeper...

Protect is a great skill. Any time a single-target attack would kill Maaku, a party member with Protect can step in to take it for him. It can only proc once per party member per battle, though, and it won’t save you from attacks that hit the whole party.

Plus… I want Lady Ann to be happy.

God dammit, cat.

I hope you’re not thinking about how sappy all of this is…!

Same, Maaku.

Music: Beneath the Mask

Likewise.
You must surely be exhausted. I suggest you go to sleep early.
Hey, we should talk about Haru’s welcome party!
Didn’t we just say we would let her rest, you dimwit!?
I appreciate your concern, but I’m OK, I promise.
As long as you’re OK, Haru… Well, is there anywhere you’d like to go?
Actually, I’d like to walk around the school festival with everyone.

That reminds me, we still haven’t settled on a guest.
A guest!? Like, some kinda celebrity!?
Wait, does that mean the Phantom Thieves could be one of the candidates!? How ‘bout it? Wanna show up?
That’s a bit over the top…
You’re just getting way too carried away.
Don’t say such strange things.
What a shallow idea.
Oooh, a four-hit combo!
Sorry...

Poor Ryuji.

The internet is rampant with speculation over the claims made on the calling card. Awareness of the Phantom Thieves is extremely high, and the world will be watching their next move.
We took care of it, but… We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Sonic Socks! They’re made with a special fiber that’s a revolution in thin fabrics!
They’re so light, it feels like your feet aren’t wearing any socks at all!
And it can be yours… For the incredibly low price of 4980 yen!

Nothing at all! Nothing at all! Nothing at all!

Why do I keep buying this crap? I never use it.

Hm, now that I think about it, we’ve really grown quite a lot.

Sometimes saving will give us a special message from Morgana depending on our progress through the game. It’s kinda neat.

Music: Aria of the Soul

...Contrary to our assumptions, it seems you have turned out to be quite promising.
Your powers continue to grow, as do the relationships you hold with your contractors. It seems the rehabilitation is proceeding at a fine rate.

“HEY IGOR WE JUST BEAT A CRIMINAL! IGOR? HEY IGOR! :haw:

*chuckle* Allow me to warn you on one matter. Being at the peak may mean you are mere moments from your downfall.

The game’s really laying it on thick, isn’t it?

Unexpected situations are necessary in a “game,” after all. *more chuckling*

What the hell...? I’m human… I have to be… I…

I kinda figured the existential crisis was done by this point, ugh.

There’s no way I was born like that...

What the hell are you talking about?

H-Hmph. I won’t let myself get worked up over some dream… I’m sure everything will be clear if we can get to the depths of Mementos…

I somehow doubt that, given that we’re running off a massive hunch of yours, but oh well.

(sadly staring at Maaku) …...

Don’t wake me up, cat, I’m hanging out with Igor in the decidedly unsexy dungeon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Welp, Okumara is hosed.

And the Phantom Thieves will get blamed for it, obviously.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The pain of knowing more than what the characters can know

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Just to make sure, my spoiler entry for the contest still counts, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GhostStalker posted:

Just to make sure, my spoiler entry for the contest still counts, right?

Yeah, it counts. If it places I'll edit it in later.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Yeah, it counts. If it places I'll edit it in later.

Cool, thanks!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Igor's an rear end in a top hat, wow.

YOU LOSERS ARE PROBABLY GOING TO FAIL HORRIBLY HA HA HA

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, his rear end is dead.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The way the game beats you over the head that this entire thing was a trap and still forcing you to do it anyway is so...insulting? Aggravating? Pathetic?

Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly, but I think that every time the party starts discussing that things don't add up, Ryuji or Morgana pipe up to shut down the discussion.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I like how this section of the game is all about dramatic irony. Right at the beginning of this part, Sae is interrogating you and says something like, "You understand why this is so important, considering what happened to him," and you have a pretty good idea of what she means. It coincides with the group's peak of popularity, when even they start to see things are getting a bit out of hand. It builds tension around seeing exactly where your team will screw up and how everything will fall apart. I didn't like the dungeon or the overlong Morgana arc very much, but I did like the rising action.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Alpha3KV: Attempt #1
Date all dames. Don't deny your depraved dreams. Dive down the dumpster and descend the depths of delightful degeneracy.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
McTimmy Attempt #2:

It's entirely clear who should win Maaku's heart.

His own soul.

Arsene has already demonstrated he'll be there for Maaku in the worst circumstances and even when displaced as part of plot only reaffirms his eternal devotion to Joker.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
W.T. Fits Attempt #1

We should date Haru because I dated Makoto back when I played through this the first time, and I wanna see Haru's romance stuff without having to replay the game myself or looking it up on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, that's gonna do it for submissions. I'll gather my favorites and announce winners in a bit.