Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And we have finally been assigned to deal with the worst people in mementos as quite seriously Kana's parents are horrifyingly awful people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Because Maaku's a good big brother, he's going to break the limbs of Kana's parents so she and Futaba can be friends again and play PUBG together.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At what point in the gun storyline does Majima jump out at us from under a giant novelty traffic cone?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

At what point in the gun storyline does Majima jump out at us from under a giant novelty traffic cone?

Never. We'll have to chaperone Goromi though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe this is the story of how Mishima became the world's greatest Phantom Thief.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Arist, when are you going to do Tora’s confidant rank ups??

I mean, we should max him out already because he is amazing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blademaster_Aio posted:

At this point in-game he's been available to hang maybe 2-3 times at most over the last two weeks. Given that most of my balancing act here is to keep rotating through people so that I A) don't have to do the same person twice in one update and B) try to keep most people at around the same level, I've been prioritizing other people, primarily those with requests we haven't gotten to yet. So, due to his lack of consistent availability, his final rank has kind of fallen by the wayside at this point, and I don't know when we'll get the chance to see it as of yet, unfortunately.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Okay, just keep in mind the deadlines. Tora and the teacher aren’t available in the final month.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 121: 10/9-10/11: This Should Go Well

Music: Break it Down

He gets his opponent to bet money, and then cheats to win it all…

Oh, hey bro. What’s up?

Man, that’s so good… Perfect for a superhero.

Shut up, dude!

…Superhero?
Yeah! We want to do something about that cheater who comes here.
Cheater…? Oh, maybe it was that guy I just beat. I handed his rear end to him and he ran home crying. I was rusty at first since it wasn’t Gun About, but it was easy once I got the hang of it.
Wh-What. Really!? But you’re just a kid…
...So what? Age is irrelevant.
So, uh… You know, I’ve seen your face somewhere before… Oh! Are you… Shinya Oda, the gaming prodigy!?
Don’t address me without an honorific. Who are you, anyway?
Y-You don’t remember me!? We fought one time in a tournament. It’s me, Mishiman!

That’s like one step beneath “THRILLHO.”

I don’t remember. I’ve fought way too many people. You’d only stick in my memory if you were something special.
Wow, you really are the King! The way you talk sounds so cool!

He’s insulting you, dude!

(to Maaku) ...Who is this guy? Your friend?

What is that supposed to mean!? We are friends!

That was the nicest option, man. Chill.

Hamiru-san, do you have some spare time? Wanna go check out the theme park? There’s no Gun About here, and I’m getting annoyed with all the people watching me. Let’s go.

Shinya and Maaku begin to walk away.

Wow, so kind! I knew the King had a big heart!

And so they spent an enjoyable day at Dome Town. There’s really no point to that event because we were full up on points with Shinya, but I wanted to indulge Mishima for once.

Well, see you!

Music: Beneath the Mask

Ugh, it’s a rerun.

Music: Layer Cake

Welp, time to die!

I wanna settle things with Tsuda. Will you come with me as a witness? I’ll do my best to protect you. But… I can’t guarantee your safety. ...You can say no.
Should I go with Iwai to meet with Tsuda as his witness?

Whew! I would go, Iwai, but I’m just too much of a cheese-boned coward!

...What? “Cheese-boned?” “What the hell does that mean?” I don’t know, man. I just made it up.

I don’t feel like I can go with Iwai until my Guts reaches Lionhearted...

Well, we can’t do that yet!

Let’s head over to Rocinante, then.

Due to the Phantom Thieves boom, they’re selling more Phantom Wafers here, in addition to the Thief Masks (+1 Agility, garbage) and a Calling Postcard, an item which we might not actually get to use in this run but I’ll try to show off anyway.

We’re about to run out of time, so let’s see some of these messages.

You know what has a big bang—my anger! I’m gonna sing a new song called “Death by Black Burger”!
Hey, you’re the guy from those videos! You’re the Rock Parody Singer, right? Sing me a funny song.
Parody!? What are you talking about? I perform authentic rock n’ roll!

Glad to see Young Rocker getting some well-deserved fame.

And Tora’s getting some of that, too! Good for him!

Depression and suicide are on the rise, and the young workforce is being crushed on a daily basis. The evil that permeates the corporate world has filtered down into society… Hello, Hamiru-kun. Stamina is important for public speaking as well. You’re still young, but take care of yourself. Come to think of it, I haven’t told you about what I aspire to do. I’m starting to uncover various behind-the-scenes situations. I want to tell you about them. Would you care to listen?

Thank you. Let’s talk before the speech.

Yoshida Rank 10

Music: Alleycat

Old man Kuramoto will likely be forced to retire from the political world. The police can’t do anything because it was 20 years ago, but he has a moral obligation. I hear his grandson Benzo resigned from the party as well. It could be due to Matsushita’s influence, or perhaps it’s just the party’s way of atoning… Now it’s all up to me… and my abilities.

To think that people would be excited to hear me speak… The article mentioned I didn’t want the real culprit to be named even though I knew who it was. Apparently, people admire me for having quietly accepted a false charge for 20 years. I didn’t intend for any of this to happen though…

I’ve struggled for the past 20 years… but I can put that all behind me after the election. ...Oh, look at the time. I should get started. Today will be the last day I’ll request help from you…

WHAT!? How did you…!?

Music: Sunset Bridge

I don’t intend to meddle. Everything I’ve told you has been based on assumptions, but if you’re still willing to listen… Then I think you should focus on your “work,” because the time is now. I can’t think of anything else to teach you. You are now an expert on giving speeches. I taught you all I know about the art of public speaking, in return for you supporting a guy like me. And over time, you became someone who shared my beliefs. Thanks to you, I was bale to overcome my crisis these last few months…

But if you ever find yourself in harm’s way on your journey, I will be there to help you. We’ll be comrades who reform the world… together.

Tora…

I feel a strong bond with Yoshida…

Music: The Spirit

This is flat-out incredible. We’re no longer limited to forming contracts with Shadows at or below our levels. The world is our oyster! No more of those annoying high-level Shadows we can’t nab! We still can’t fuse higher-level Personas, but it’s still great.

And that’s it for Toranosuke Yoshida, my favorite Confidant in the game. His nickname “No-Good Tora,” while no longer having any reason to be used, was apparently “Failnosuke” or something similar in Japanese, which is a lot less good. It wasn’t known who voiced Yoshida for a long time, but recently people seem to have figured out it was William Salyers, probably best known as Rigby in Regular Show. You can’t really hear it in that role (dude’s got a ton of range) but I looked up a video of him as Reverend Putty in Moral Orel and it’s a dead ringer for Tora. Anyway, Tora’s Confidant can seem weird and complicated, but he’s just a great dude.

And our bonus for completing this Confidant is the ability to fuse the ultimate Sun Persona, Asura.

Music: Sunset Bridge

Thank you for everything. All right, it’s time to begin.

I cut my date short so I could watch this, you know!
Does anyone out there have something they aspire to do? I met a certain young man… Through a method that differs from mine, he was trying to reform the world.

“It’s not the young man standing right next to me, though. Not a chance.”

As you know, that is a very large mountain to cross. Unfortunately, I am unable to travel the same path as him. ...However, I will not say goodbye. Because we will surely meet at the peak. He is desperately doing what he aspires to do. So I encourage you all. Please find what it is that YOU aspire to do. And I will support you. Because that is what I aspire to do.
Way to go, Toranosuke!
I believe in you!
I feel like listening to Yoshida’s speech has served to increase my Charm

Maaku gains Charm +3.

I’ll listen to Yoshida’s speech a little longer, then head home…

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I’ll bring it to the hideout. You have tomorrow off for Health and Sports Day, right? It’ll definitely get your adrenaline pumping… I really wanna read it, but I’ll wait til tomorrow! See ya!
I guess Futaba’s coming here to show us a magazine tomorrow. It sounds like fun, but… I’m going to bed.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Sounds like Futaba’s here. Come on, let’s go downstairs.

The exhibitions reflected the students’ personal desires, and many memories were surely made.
A culture festival sounds fun. Does your school do anything like that?

Traveling is too much trouble. Isn’t it good enough to just relax here?
You’re right, it is pretty nice here. We usually relax here for hours at a time.

Oh, I have enough for you, by the way. There’s some seriously ingenious stuff in these things.
I may be able to improve my Proficiency if I read the computer magazines with Futaba… Furthermore, this may be a good chance to deepen my bond with her...

What a coincidence, I was just looking to go out to see if any movies today would help me increase my Proficiency!

So, you wanna just relax and read if we’re not meeting up with the others?

OK! Today’s a readathon!

Music: My Homie

And this keyboard is too curvy! How would the keystrokes even work…? This is great! This “self-built PC competition” is really amazing! Have you ever built your own PC before, Maaku?

We’ll put together a beast of a machine! We’ll pick out every component for this custom build! Hehehe… We should go together to Akiba sometime, Maaku!
I read with Futaba, while talking about computers… I feel that learning more about intricate PC components helped me gain a bit more Proficiency.

Maaku gains Proficiency +3.

Yo, I read this magazine and now I have the dexterity and reflexes of a trained monkey.

Oof, I hunger… No wonder I’m in power saving mode. I want curry…
Should I spend some more time with Futaba…?

Aw, never mind… Guess I’m just gonna make like a bee and buzz off… Thanks for bringin’ me home! Lates!

I’ll be OK though. The state my father is in has put that on hold for the time being.
Woo! We accomplished one of our goals!
That doesn’t mean my marriage has been called off though. My father agreed to do so in that other world… but I’m not so sure now, given his current condition.
Hm, so that too will be on hold until the next change of heart.
Well, sounds to me like we’re totally in the clear!
Yes, and it’s all thanks to you guys.

Woohoo! Sweet victory!

We actually forgot to do this yesterday, oops. Takemi’s still not ready.

Also, we decide to boost our Guts acquisition tonight.

Let’s take the challenge once more. Maaku gains 10 Big Bang Burgers and Guts +3.

Music: Confession/Secret

It seems my father will be holding an urgent press conference.
I guess Okumura finally had his change of heart. That has to at least life some of the burden on Haru’s shoulders.
For real!?
Congrats!
When is that going to be?
8 pm tonight.
I wonder if he’ll talk about the mental shutdowns.

I don’t really have a reason for meeting up, but it still might prove beneficial.

“We just needed a reason for the next scene to happen, that’s all!”

Anyway, how does the Shujin Academy rooftop sound?

You know, that place 2 of our members don’t actually have access to? That was also locked off last we heard?

I actually happen to have some business up there.
Sounds good to me. It’s been ages since I was last there.
Wait… The school…?
Futaba, make sure you come in through the front entrance. See you all there after school.
Hm…? Wait, where’s Yusuke? ...If he’s still asleep at this point, he’s definitely going to be late for school.

How very strange. And suspicious!

Music: So Boring

That aside, Okumura Foods has been a hot topic lately. This much media coverage must be worth at least ten million yen. At first, I even thought that all this outcry was just some kind of elaborate marketing campaign. I guess it’s giving them too much of a bad image to be that, though. Advertising and public image are more important than anything else for a corporation. Are you familiar with a psychological test using these images? You show these two images to people, and then ask them to name one “bouba” and the other “kiki.” Hamiru-san.

That’s correct. You should have instinctively felt that A is “kiki.”

According to one theory, sounds and shapes are processed in the same area of the brain. Furthermore, this sense is the same worldwide. No matter the language, the result is the same.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

A product’s name impresses an image on people before they even use or buy it. Big Bang Burger exemplifies this. The voiced consonants and short syllables leave a strong imprint. Although with the news these days, it may also evoke the image of the strong oppressing the weak.
Even the teachers have their eyes on Okumura… Well, he should be having a change of heart, so there should be nothing to worry about.

Yep, that’s what should be occurring.

Rooftop? What is this about?
Oh yeah, you weren’t there.
Can you come to our school rooftop after your classes today?

How the hell are Yusuke and Futaba going to get onto the roof without attracting attention? Yusuke’s wearing a drat Kosei uniform!

I don’t quite understand what is going on, but sure.
Is Haru at school?
I’m heading over now. Things were a little hectic this morning.

That’s right! The season is good, so I’m thinking of transplanting them sometime soon.
Flowers are an excellent hobby. I will gladly assist you.
We’ll help too.
Really? Thanks! All right. I’ll see all of you after school.

Music: Break it Down

You can just call me Haru. The seasons are changing soon, so I thought it’d be nice for the plants to change as well.

I really like Haru’s weird sweater.

This time, it’s a Yusuke Kitagawa production.
All I did was add some… how do I put it… aesthetic simplicity by balancing the color placement. Furthermore, Haru chose the flowers herself. It will surely be a great bed no matter the arrangement.
Hm, I’m looking forward to it.
Why don’t we plant you, Mona?

It’s cloudy, Morgana. That wouldn’t work!

Music: New Beginning

That’s not gonna make a difference!
Hey, y’know how we’re thinkin’ of the school festival as our celebration party? Anyone else think we should have a real celebration on top of that?
I must agree. It would be not only a celebration, but a welcoming as well. I’d like to do something among ourselves.
Let’s do it then! A joint party to celebrate and to welcome Haru!
Oh, you don’t have to do that. The school festival is more than enough.
How is everyone else supposed to get excited if the star of the party’s not into it?
Well then… how about a night party? At Destinyland.

Now, this is an obvious riff on Disneyland (specifically Tokyo Disneyland), but Destinyland actually has some history. In the very first Shin Megami Tensei, Destinyland is where the alignment lock occurred.

Also Makoto’s dialogue here is incredibly awkward and stiff. It’s like she turned into a five-year-old upon hearing about this theme park.

It would be a bit late, but there are someplans that allow us to rent out the park for the night.

You’re talking about THE Destinyland, right…?
Didn’t you say you’d like to do something amongst ourselves…?
I did, but…

The heck’s she gonna check?

We’re really gonna have it at Destinyland…? Not like, one of the restaurants, but… the entire park?
Even just for one night… the price is insane…
Oh, that won’t be a problem. We had originally booked it for a company party, then had to call it off because of the scandal…

What kind of company party books an amusement park?

We’d barely get anything back if we canceled the reservation, so why not take advantage of it?
Wouldn’t that be oddly conspicuous though?
It’s still officially under the company’s name. We needn’t worry.
In that case… let’s do this. We’ll just celebrate twice as hard today!
I’m sorry for disrupting everyone. You did come to help me, after all. Well, let’s get back to it!

For real!?
It seems like we’ll be having our celebration at Destinyland tonight…

Music: Alright

The food was arranged on my plate as though it were paint on a canvas.

Oh god, half the cast’s got weird novelty headgear.

I thought if we were going to dine together, it would be better to do it somewhere with a view.
The VIP life is incredible! Not that I’d expect anything else from a private rental!
There really is no one else here.
We are the rulers of the kingdom of dreams!

That’s right.

That’s the kinda stuff couples say, right?
Almost anyone would fall for that line in front of a sight like this!

Lady Ann, this view is not as beautiful as--

Oh, too bad, cat. You missed your chance. Better luck next time.

You say that like you’re not tapping into your inner child too, Ryuji.
This is just ‘cause Futaba kept naggin’ me to put ‘em on!
I did not!
...You said somethin’ like that!

What was that!?
*chuckle* My, this is so heartwarming…!
Honestly, I would’ve liked to see the parade as well. But given how sudden the request was, they couldn’t get enough staff together to do it.
Perhaps that will have to wait until next time.
Either way, this party’s totally the best one so far! It’s freakin’ amazing!
I’m glad to see you’re enjoying it.
Be careful, Haru. You’ve shown these guys what luxury means. This’ll really raise the bar for our next celebration party.
You’re already talking about our next party? Don’t you think that’s somewhat premature?

The group chatters happily.

Still… How do I put this…? I met Mona-chan, I got to know you all… Isn’t everything going a little too perfectly? It’s actually a bit frightening…
You worry too much.
…I must just be overly cautious because of my circumstances up till recently. I’m sorry for bringing it up.

Father…

Music: Regret

Today, I’d like to elaborate upon the whole truth behind my company’s labor situation.

Sanitation? That’s not even one of the things we heard about!

And how my corporation acted as a whole to… cover up every facet of this scandal. For all of this, I wholeheartedly apologize.

...Yes. I… am solely responsible…

Furthermore, these happened to be officials who stood against your proposal for overseas expansion. The same thing also happened to executives at competing companies who were looking to expand abroad. Is all of this true?
Yes.
Was it all coincidence?

We’d like some answers.

Okumura’s going to say who’s really behind the mental shutdowns.

What’s gonna happen…?

Okumura Bares It All (Watch this)

...loving finally, jesus christ.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 28, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Arist posted:

At this point in-game he's been available to hang maybe 2-3 times at most over the last two weeks. Given that most of my balancing act here is to keep rotating through people so that I A) don't have to do the same person twice in one update and B) try to keep most people at around the same level, I've been prioritizing other people, primarily those with requests we haven't gotten to yet. So, due to his lack of consistent availability, his final rank has kind of fallen by the wayside at this point, and I don't know when we'll get the chance to see it as of yet, unfortunately.

Also I totally fuckin' lied to you

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And poo poo has now gotten real.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Welp, Haru got to watch her dad die on live TV. That's definitely going to make things awkward for the next few updates.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
And this is where we have our alignment lock...looks like it’s chaos for us, ah well, Lucifer’s a chill guy to rage against the heavens with.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Tora owns, and that part at the end was like some kind of Japanese screamer.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

So far the p5 Anime has seriously toned down a lot of the gross leering at Ann poo poo, which is pretty good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
For a more constructive post I am going to talk a little bit about just how useful Tora's max social link is. So in the last dungeon their were two powerful enemies floating around that are impossible to recruit, the elephant dude and Scathach. Whilst Scathach has some useful skills the real prize is the Elephant dude who out of the gate has Deathbound and reflects all physical damage. Just in his base form he makes the rest of the dungeon so much easier due to the sheer abundance of physical oriented opponents that it almost seems unfair.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

AradoBalanga posted:

Welp, Haru got to watch her dad die on live TV.

WHILE AT NOT-DISNEYLAND, NO LESS

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Also Arist, i.e: business at theme parks. It's actually not uncommon for Disney and similar big-name theme parks to reserve entire spaces for a business function, mainly as like Okumura food does - to celebrate a really good business year as a sort of company bonus, I never heard of an entire park of that scale being rented out, as I can't imagine any rental fee would offset the loss of revenue.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point, I guess, is what would a bunch of businessmen need with an entire theme park, kid-alone-in-a-toy-store-style? What are they going to do, ride all the rides? I understand renting out a space, but that just goes kinda overboard in my perception, I dunno.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Arist posted:

My point, I guess, is what would a bunch of businessmen need with an entire theme park, kid-alone-in-a-toy-store-style? What are they going to do, ride all the rides? I understand renting out a space, but that just goes kinda overboard in my perception, I dunno.

businessmen are weird, I've read up on some of the team-building exercises, some include playing house.

MagicBoots
Mar 29, 2010

How about we pump the atmosphere full of methane?
You put me on Cargo handling optimization?! I am the premier defense specialist in the entirety of the UN!
Don't you dare pull my funding!
You can't cut back on funding!
You will regret this!
There is also the PR/Prestige angle, "we did so well we rented out an amusement park for our employees!" (pays employees garbage wages, has terrible business practices).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"poo poo, we need to model and animate five thousand goddamn park guests"

"OR DO WE"

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

It's also at night, so it's outside normal business hours. The park has to find staffing, but it's not like they're actually losing out on revenue. Some searching suggests that you can do that at Disneyland after hours, starting at about $50k for one ride for four hours. So we're probably talking on the order of a million dollars for the whole park. That's a lot, but not completely insane, just mostly insane.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Robindaybird posted:

businessmen are weird, I've read up on some of the team-building exercises, some include playing house.

VAs in Japan also perform in the studio in front of their peers, as to make said VAs give the best performances they can as well as get feedback from their coworkers. Compare to America where VAs are alone in the recording booths without feedback from their peers and...you can tell a somewhat difference in quality between the two. This has been your :spergin: lesson of the day

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For what it's worth, the text scrolling across the screen at the end is reminiscent of Nico Douga, one of the more popular video streaming sites in Japan. Basically the audience can type their reactions and they'll scroll across the screen at the time they typed it, I guess so you can feel like you're watching it alongside others.

The comments on Okumura's death are basically "lololololololol" with a little "ew creepy" mixed in.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Arist posted:

Also I totally fuckin' lied to you

Well we maxed him out and I’m happy.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Here the other shoe drops. Welcome to the endgame plot.

After next week's exams, of course. What, did you think Queen would let the team slack just because of a little thing like your target dying on live TV?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
A little weird that the effect of killing his shadow in the Palace would be to give him some kind of aneurysm about 10 seconds after he starts the typical confession.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

A little weird that the effect of killing his shadow in the Palace would be to give him some kind of aneurysm about 10 seconds after he starts the typical confession.

Between him and the principal I always figured that the killer is able to just trigger their victims’ expiration at will once the Shadow is dead.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's also possible that the "canon" timing for palace heists is the day before the deadline for whatever reason. Possibly because it's the time when the person's palace would actually lose it's guard most, as they're so assured of victory, plus all of them make the deadline as some sort of announcement they already planned for, so maybe you want to make sure they'll repent properly.

I dunno, weak logic but I can see it nearly.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

given how Haru said her dad's been locked up in the study (contrivance), one could also surmise he's just been getting sicker and sicker until black blood time.

also just a nice touch they added Japan's broadcast tendency to broadcast cute, calming scenes to cover up graphic or disturbing scenes if they deemed it too awful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

Between him and the principal I always figured that the killer is able to just trigger their victims’ expiration at will once the Shadow is dead.

It's pretty much the only option that makes any sense whatsoever, and it still makes almost no sense at all. Whatever, it's a plot contrivance.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, it's one of those weird things that's a consequence of the game design where they expect you to do the dungeon gradually over the course of the month and finish it near the end... but the actual most efficient course from an optimization standpoint is to just clear the drat thing immediately in the minimum number of required days, so that you don't have to deal with your various confidants/social links deciding they'd rather not hang out with you because the dungeon's not clear yet.

So you wind up with situations like this where Okamura's Shadow has been dead for over two weeks, but he doesn't actually die until the deadline for Haru being given away. Or stuff like Futaba and the majority of the Persona 4 crew, where if you clear the dungeon and rescue them at the earliest opportunity, they're out of commission for like a month, but if you wait until the very last minute, they show up the next day no worse for the wear and the plot continues. :shrug:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

For some of the targets it makes sense: for example Kamoshida could easily decide to wait a couple weeks for the general assembly, especially because he knew he'd have to confess in a way to make impossible for the principal to suppress. I don't remember if the mafioso turned himself in immediately after the shadow or at the deadline, but we didn't get a scene either way.

Frankly speaking they should have forced sending the calling cards right at the deadline and unlocked party confidantes for the month when you reached the treasure room.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Omobono posted:

Frankly speaking they should have forced sending the calling cards right at the deadline and unlocked party confidantes for the month when you reached the treasure room.

That would have made a lot of sense. Borrowing the good parts of P3 while keeping the more interesting dungeons.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Omobono posted:

For some of the targets it makes sense: for example Kamoshida could easily decide to wait a couple weeks for the general assembly, especially because he knew he'd have to confess in a way to make impossible for the principal to suppress.

I find it difficult to believe that he was behaving that rationally.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 122: 10/11-10/12: The Foregone Conclusion

Music: Desire

When last we left off, Okumura finally bit it like two full weeks after his Shadow died, goddamn.

Good to see in this shocking, heartbreaking scene that our cast is still wearing the loving animal ears.

Wh-Why did he collapse?
That didn’t look right at all… Don’t tell me...!
Mona-chan, what’s going on…?
No… That’s impossible!

I want to know that myself! We made sure we just took the Treasure too…
*gasp* I should call home!
This-- This isn’t our fault… is it? It’s been OK all four times so far—ever since Kamoshida!
If we let the Shadow live, the real person won’t undergo mental shutdown… right?
That’s how it should work…
Yeah… it’s gotta be.

What’s wrong?

I remember now… It’s just like… what happened to my mom…

Oh poo poo.

So this is the moment when mental shutdown occurs…
But why did they target Okumura-san…?
Dammit! The hell’s goin’ on here!?

I’ll talk to the staff before I leave. Feel free to take your time…

This ain’t our fault, right…?
I’d like to think so…
Some welcoming party, huh…
I’ll get in contact with Haru later. But for today, I think we should all return home.

What are you watching?

Akechi begins retching.

This is just a hypothesis… But perhaps Okumura was bitten by his lapdog.

Are you implying that the Phantom Thieves triggered a sudden mental shutdown on Okumura?
There might have been a falling out of sorts, so the Phantom Thieves abandoned a useless employer. ...And to cover their tracks, they dealt with Okumura.
I hate to bring this up, but I’m actually here about that.
Did you find any evidence?

Aww, Akechi believes in us! Well, sort of! Whatever!

How do you mean? You were suspecting the Phantom Thieves as well.
It is still hypothetical at this point… but I don’t want to rule it out.
We’re searching the Okumura residence tomorrow. Same with Shujin and its principal. We will find evidence on this… no matter what it takes.

Yes?
...You haven’t looked at my laptop or taken files from it without my permission, have you?

Uh-oh, looks like Makoto hosed up somehow.

That’s quite out of the blue.
There were traces that someone transferred data from it. It was only a small error pop-up… But I noticed it immediately after I had that argument with you last month.
And that’s why you suspect me…? Oh please, give me a break.
Are you saying you didn’t?
As a detective myself, I honor the value of information—as well as the effort invested in it.

For someone who values information so much you’d think you’d be better at conveying it in a reasonable way. Jesus christ, this argument is stilted.

I take pride in what I do. I thought you of all people would understand such values, Sae-san.
...I apologize.

:siren: SAE ADMITTED FAULT :siren:

I let my guard down. They’re mine… I’m the one who will catch them…!

Did you see? He collapsed during the interview… This is serious!
That was gruesome… Wish they put some sort of warning on the video.
They said President Okumura died!
Really!? Whoa, you’re right! I just saw a news report about it!

Anon: KL;ASD;’H DOTN’ PANIC
Anon: Too bad! It had to happen
Anon: good poo poo for us plebs lol
Anon: Did they make a mistake…?
Anon: whoa wtf
Anon: There better be a statement
Anon: That was all an act, right?
Anon: Well that was disturbing…
Anon: Is he really dead…?
Anon: die capitalist pigs!!!

I’M THAT LAST GUY

Music: Confession/Secret

The news said it was a cardiac arrest…
There’s a chance he’ll pull through, right…?
I hate to say this… But usually after such a report, the only thing that follows is a confirmation of death…
No…!
Haru…
Why is this happening!? Can someone die simply from having a mental shutdown!?
I don’t know! I suppose it’s possible that the shock could kill a person… Haru did mention how her father wasn’t in the best of health…
But… for him to just up and die? This has gotta be some kinda joke…
Haru…!

Futaba, you gonna say anything other than Haru’s name?

...Are we responsible for his death?
But I thought it was supposed to be fine as long as we didn’t kill their Shadow! Ain’t that what you said, Morgana!?
It should’ve been OK!

Well, it wasn’t! It was very much not!

It… should’ve been…

Great, the cat’s not even sure anymore.

We did everything the same as always too…
In any case, let’s compose ourselves for now. We need to act normally in public. But keep Haru in our minds…
Dammit, this doesn’t make any sense… Why he suffered a mental shutdown is one thing… But what are we supposed to do from here on out…?

The president of Okumura Foods collapsed during his conference and was taken to the hospital. However, we just received confirmation that he passed away. Truly a shocking turn of events.
I can’t believe he died…

Well, ain’t you chipper!?

Music: Aria of the Soul

Our master has an important matter to discuss with you. Heed his words well.

...Or so I’d like to say, but something odd seems to have happened.

Oh god, Igor, we hosed up big time, man. We need a place to lie low for a while, you dig?
Yeah, you really botched that one, my dude.

Who knows…? However, don’t you sense it? The malicious will of another… It seems a contingency has occurred.

Why does everyone in this game talk like a fortune cookie?

At this rate, your rehabilitation cannot be completed… though I doubt that will be the case. I truly look forward to seeing how you overcome this predicament…
I feel like my bond with Igor is growing deeper...

...We shall meet again.
Time’s up, Inmate! Hurry up and return to your world!

And our approval went down, but that’s kind of to be expected, isn’t it?

Anon: his face, holy poo poo

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

He collapsed during his press conference, right? I wish I’d been watching when it happened.
You’re probably better off. It was a total disaster. I never imagined seeing a heart attack would be so unsettling…
The news says it was because of illness, but either way you spin it? Still bizarre. drat. Wish I’d seen it live…

Kids today are sick.

Music: So Boring

Did you see that interview? I thought it was gonna be some hidden-camera show at first.
I was so scared I changed the channel…
He really looked like he was in pain… That was sick.
Will you quiet down!? We’re in class right now! Not to mention, you have midterms starting on Monday! Focus on studying!
...Things are getting pretty bad.

Later in the day...

The police? What for?
Your sister hasn’t told you about any of this?
Nothing at all.
Could this be related to Okumura’s death in some way?
But there’s no connection between our school and Okumura Foods.
Think they came to talk to Haru?
She’s… absent today.
Then seriously, what’re they here for?
I can’t even begin to fathom the reason. Anyway. let’s be particularly careful not to stand out. And head straight home once school ends. Understand that, everyone?

Music: Suspicion

I see.
We were hoping to find something more than the calling card too.
We’ve confirmed the victim’s connection to the Phantom Thieves at least.

I’d have assumed Okumura would have already turned the calling card over to the police, but whatever.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Huh!?

WHAT!?

Music: Disquiet

Yes…!

That’s right…
Please contact me if something catches your attention. It doesn’t matter how trivial it seems. ...You don’t have to force yourself though. Just anything that comes to mind.

Music: Interrogation Room

And even the death of Shujin’s principal, who we found a calling card for, was the work of another?
*nods*
*sigh* You don’t sound like you’re lying… If you wanted to deceive me, you could’ve easily woven up a much simpler lie than this “Metaverse.” Moreover, your account coincides with my own investigation. Is that even possible if it were made up? And I hate to admit, but… with my line of work, I know a false testimony when I hear one. Still, if you set your sights on Okumura based on my intel, it’d be before his name was even ranked. You could’ve ignored him and targeted some other famous person. Why would you go so far as to further investigate and pursue this criminal?

Heh… simple enough. There’s still no proof that another suspect exists. That said, it’s safe enough to say that you aren’t the murdering type.

Is it really? That’s kind of a big leap there, Sae.

I feel like my bond with Sae is growing deeper...

Pressed to prove your innocence, your next objective was…
*shakes head*

What in the world did the police inject into you?

Sae’s voice sounds far away...

Maaku Hamiru! You need to stay focused!

If what you’re saying is true, you must tell your side of the story to the end. We’ll both be in trouble if your testimony becomes unreliable.
*nods*
*sigh*

At last we arrive at your most recent crime.

You know what I mean, don’t you? This calling card was delivered to your latest target—the one you had decided would prove your innocence.

Now, explain everything to me.

OH SHIIIIIIIIT

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a bit in here where I inject a few lines of my own dialogue into a regular scene, mainly as a test. I underlined those lines as it was not otherwise clear that they were not part of the game. Tell me if that works or if it's too confusing, thanks.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think italics might work better? That seems to be standard convention.

Also: OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Leraika posted:

I think italics might work better? That seems to be standard convention.

Also: OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Italics are kind of reserved for inner monologue, is the problem. I might just put those lines in quotes and see if that works better.