Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Arist posted:

Italics are kind of reserved for inner monologue, is the problem. I might just put those lines in quotes and see if that works better.

Good point. Either way, I could certainly tell what you were going for.

e: update on the last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ah, we're finally catching up to modern day.

So if Sae was their most recent target, was the palace at the start her dungeon? And are they still in there now given the police showed up while he was still in costume? :psyduck:

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Arist posted:

Who knows…? However, don’t you sense it? The malicious will of another… It seems a contingency has occurred.

Why does everyone in this game talk like a fortune cookie?

Being a fortune cookie is kind of Igor's thing, though. I don't think it's fair to single him out.

And since it hasn't been brought up on this page yet: OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

megane
Jun 20, 2008

What if this whole interview has been Sae's boss fight

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I actually did not see this coming and it's good

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's astounding that Maaku hasn't OD'd yet during the interrogation.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It’s weird to me how everyone is saying he “collapsed.” Like, I guess that’s one word for what happened to him but it seems like actual humans might say something different.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I actually did not see this coming and it's good

This is the best part of the game coming up (not sure if this is vague enough, tell me if not)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Arist posted:

There's a bit in here where I inject a few lines of my own dialogue into a regular scene, mainly as a test. I underlined those lines as it was not otherwise clear that they were not part of the game. Tell me if that works or if it's too confusing, thanks.

It was certainly clear to me. Underline is an unconventional way of doing it but once you think about what it might mean, it's obvious, especially since the lines you added don't actually match the characters' voices.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

There's a bit in here where I inject a few lines of my own dialogue into a regular scene, mainly as a test. I underlined those lines as it was not otherwise clear that they were not part of the game. Tell me if that works or if it's too confusing, thanks.

I felt that underlining made it pretty obvious. That and Igor and Maaku were having a conversation too which is uh- not really how this game goes usually.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Has Igor directly responded to a question Maaku has asked this entire game?

In fact, has Igor made any indication that he hears anything Maaku says?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Funky Valentine posted:

Has Igor directly responded to a question Maaku has asked this entire game?

In fact, has Igor made any indication that he hears anything Maaku says?

In fairness it would get pretty same-y after a while. "Why am I here?" "Why did that guy die?" "Why did a giant penis emerge from the sea of my soul?" You can't blame Igor for losing interest in the details.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
*Eats popcorn, reads reactions, laughs*

Ah, the perks of knowing what's going to happen.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

To echo: Oooooooh poo poo.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

Heh… simple enough. There’s still no proof that another suspect exists. That said, it’s safe enough to say that you aren’t the murdering type.

Is it really? That’s kind of a big leap there, Sae.

If he were the murdering type, a certain bald-headed individual he's supposed to have attacked would be dead.. Also, he's admitting to having "attacked" a bunch of other people, only one of whom died. The pattern of his actions doesn't support the idea of him as a killer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Arist posted:

But why did they target Okumura-san…?

... Uh, Makoto? Remember how you were all just watching the press conference and expecting him to spill the beans about who's behind the mental shutdowns? Did it not occur to you that maybe... just maybe... whoever's behind the mental shutdowns might be perfectly willing to kill him to keep that information from coming to light? Especially given that pretty much the whole world knew at this point that he'd been targeted by the Phantom Thieves for a change of heart?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

W.T. Fits posted:

... Uh, Makoto? Remember how you were all just watching the press conference and expecting him to spill the beans about who's behind the mental shutdowns? Did it not occur to you that maybe... just maybe... whoever's behind the mental shutdowns might be perfectly willing to kill him to keep that information from coming to light? Especially given that pretty much the whole world knew at this point that he'd been targeted by the Phantom Thieves for a change of heart?

Haru still has to tell them about the calling card in the principal's office. I hope they don't spend an entire day sitting around asking how he got a card when they never targeted him. Maybe, just maybe, the Phantom Thieves are being set up for the mental shutdowns? These guys seem pretty stupid, though. The team could use a Naoto to make "insightful deductions" to keep the team moving forward (read: keep the plot from stalling out because nobody knows nothin').

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kevos Setzer posted:

Haru still has to tell them about the calling card in the principal's office. I hope they don't spend an entire day sitting around asking how he got a card when they never targeted him. Maybe, just maybe, the Phantom Thieves are being set up for the mental shutdowns? These guys seem pretty stupid, though. The team could use a Naoto to make "insightful deductions" to keep the team moving forward (read: keep the plot from stalling out because nobody knows nothin').

unfortunately Handsome Naoto is busy dissing makoto's sister and taking an uncomfortably long time to drink a single cappuccino in your house

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kevos Setzer posted:

I try to rationalize it as them still being in shock over what just happened, and them not having the benefit of what the 3rd person observers in the audience have seen, but it still comes across as kind of a dumb question from the team member who's supposed to be "the smart one."

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Ahahahahahahaha this scene.

The Spaceport was so awful it burned me out on the game for a year, so when I came back, slogged through the Spaceport, and then saw who the 6th target was.... well, let's just say I was in full interest mode from here until the end of the game.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
The game does pick up a bit after this, yes; barring that certain other area who's name begins with M, we've cleared all the low points of the game. It's (mostly) all uphill from here.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

It's astounding that Maaku hasn't OD'd yet during the interrogation.
I think it's safe to assume that being a Persona user does grant some level of added physical and mental resistance compared to normal humans, as seen with the close combat characters in the series (i.e., Reiji, Lisa, Ulala, Akihiko, Chie and Makoto) who can punch or kick demons/Shadows/et al. that are twice their size or have other damage-reducing attributes like a full suit of armor, but suffer no ill consequences like shattered bones or something worse like a dislocated knee (do not google images of that injury, it is highly :nms:). Or take Jun for another example, who can beat up said enemies with nothing more than flowers, objects that are absolutely not designed for direct combat. Maaku being able to resist something like a mind-altering substance while under intense interrogation for a long period of time is entirely plausible.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

AradoBalanga posted:

I think it's safe to assume that being a Persona user does grant some level of added physical and mental resistance compared to normal humans, as seen with the close combat characters in the series (i.e., Reiji, Lisa, Ulala, Akihiko, Chie and Makoto) who can punch or kick demons/Shadows/et al. that are twice their size or have other damage-reducing attributes like a full suit of armor, but suffer no ill consequences like shattered bones or something worse like a dislocated knee (do not google images of that injury, it is highly :nms:). Or take Jun for another example, who can beat up said enemies with nothing more than flowers, objects that are absolutely not designed for direct combat. Maaku being able to resist something like a mind-altering substance while under intense interrogation for a long period of time is entirely plausible.

He's also spent close to a year doing human drug trials in a shady underground clinic, eating burgers bigger than his head and subsisting on a diet of curry and coffee. The guy has some tolerance.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Does Sae know that Hamiru's criminal history so far has been "getting charged by a bullshitter while protecting a woman"?

Also OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIT!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Coq au Nandos posted:

He's also spent close to a year doing human drug trials in a shady underground clinic, eating burgers bigger than his head and subsisting on a diet of curry and coffee. The guy has some tolerance.

Also close to a year putting up with Ryuji and Mishima. If that's not mental fortitude I don't know what is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like to imagine that this interrogation is taking a week, considering that we're talking to Sae about things that happened over like seven months or something.

*I don't actually know when we're kidnapped and talking to her.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also close to a year putting up with Ryuji and Mishima. If that's not mental fortitude I don't know what is.

Maaku lives with Morgana.

He's long dead inside.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Maaku lives with Morgana.

He's long dead inside.

All that extra energy he got from going to bed on time is now being used to keep Maaku going long past the point where he should have passed out.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

He can't sleep unless a cat tells him to.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheDavies posted:

If he were the murdering type, a certain bald-headed individual he's supposed to have attacked would be dead.. Also, he's admitting to having "attacked" a bunch of other people, only one of whom died. The pattern of his actions doesn't support the idea of him as a killer.

My point is, she doesn't know him very well at all, really.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

My point is, she doesn't know him very well at all, really.

She has enough experience to know that she isn't being told everything and that Maaku doesn't seem like the monster that he is being portrayed as.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 123: 10/12-10/13: It’s A Setup

Music: Beneath the Mask

Maaku, do you just spend all your unoccupied time sitting on your bed staring at Morgana until someone texts you? That’s kinda weird, man.

Speak of the devil.

No luck here.
Me neither.
She won’t pick up.

I mean, if you were her, would you trust us right now? We might have killed her dad, and unbeknownst to all of us she now thinks we murdered the principal too.

It doesn’t look like she’s seen any of our chats either.
I’m worried about her…

I just said that, Ann.

She wouldn’t, right? ...Right?

I’m surprised the cops aren’t already here, cat.

Today, the police investigated President Okumura’s home and other places he visited. They’re looking into whether this was a crime or an accident, but what caused his death is still unknown.
Sounds like the police even went to your school… What are they going to do?

Is there an illness that could cause that…?
Nah, no way…
So it was murder? That’s terrifying…
This might be the biggest event of the century!

Anon: That was all an act, right?
Anon: Is he really dead…?
Anon: what is the press thinking
Anon: Well that was disturbing…
Anon: Now, who’s next? : )

We’re dropping precipitously at this rate...

Anon: eh, good riddance
Anon: I can’t believe anyone now!
Anon: Evil has perished.
Anon: So, whodunnit?

Music: Suspicion

Maaku, you need to get dressed, buddy! You have school today!

Yes… Thank you. Um, there’s actually something that’s caught my attention. I think I need to discuss it with everyone though. We should meet at the hideout after school.
It looks like Haru is managing… somehow. All right, let’s meet up with everyone after school.

But that was a live broadcast, wasn’t it?
If it wasn’t an illness… then it has to be murder!
Didn’t he kinda deserve to die anyway?
Still, I feel bad for him, going out like that…

Anon: killing ppl’s a no-no
Anon: ohhhhh shiiiii!!!
Anon: KARMA, BITCH!! lolol
Anon: dont fukkin murder ppl
Anon: Aww, what a waste

Music: Desire

The public has praised them as “allies of justice,” before they strike them back to the ground… Now then, she’ll be next…

It will be a heavy responsibility, but I’m certain it’d be an honor for her. The culprits behind the mental shutdown cases she’s been pursuing all this time… ...Haha, indeed. They’ll become the criminals we’ve set them up to be… just as you instructed.

Music: Suspicion

There’s a muffled-yet-loud voice coming from outside, seemingly that of a man giving a speech.

Summoning the cops to beat our asses down, I assume!

She’s the one that called us, so she’ll show up eventually.
Well, even though things have calmed down, she must be occupied with what happened to her father…

Yusuke with no reaction.

Wh-What’s up?

Music: Tension

Okay, Yusuke’s completely stonefaced for two in a row? That’s funny and weird. Maybe they just forgot to set his reactions properly?

Still, this was inevitable due to the circumstances, we shouldn’t be all that shocked.

Also:

Something about his completely deadpan “shocked” face is hilarious.

So it’s begun already…
What!?
Think about it. The CEO collapsed the way he did, during an apology conference that our group caused.
Still…! They were raving about us so much… and now they just treat us like murderers…?
What a lightning-fast change of attitude!

Calm down. Not everyone is necessarily saying that…
But there’s no way to vindicate ourselves. ……

I’m sorry I’m late. I’m the one who asked you all to make time for me too…
...My condolences. It must be rough.
I’m OK now.

Did you all target the principal?

Yusuke, man, react to something here, you’re freaking me out!

Huh? The principal? ...You mean ours?
Yes.
What makes you say that?
Yesterday, a public prosecutor came to my home. Um… it was a woman named… Niijima-san.
That’s--
I overheard her saying that a calling card was found in the principal’s office. Considering that this was right after what happened… It’s got to be Shujin’s.

Huh?

It may just be my imagination… But I feel as if… things are escalating far too quickly after President Okumura’s incident.
...Whaddya mean?

It’s Yusuke! Yusuke did it! I don’t know what he did, but it’s the only explanation for why he’s so goddamn chill about all this!

That could be…
Then we need to catch them as soon as possible.
Hold a moment. Can we assume we’ve been set up though? We don’t even know their objective.

I’m going to assume it was “ruin our reputation and prevent Okumura from spilling the beans,” dude. You know, the two direct consequences of his death thus far?

What else are we supposed to do then!?
Let’s all calm down for a moment. From what Haru said, even the police are suspecting that the Phantom Thieves are murderers… It wouldn’t be wise to carelessly make a move at the moment. We need to act as normal students for now. In addition, we have midterms next week.
Exams? At a time like this…? Rgh… I envy you, Futaba… ...Futaba?

Everyone turns to look at Futaba.

Got something on my mind. Gonna go home and look into it.

At any rate, we need to behave and not draw attention to ourselves. Understood?
*nods*

For some reason, probably just because she’s not facing the camera, Haru doesn’t nod. Morgana doesn’t either, but he’s a cat.

They’re heroes! They would never do that!
I’d be disappointed if they just turned out to be criminals…
It has to be some kind of trick! They would never do that!
...I can’t think of any other explanation. That has to be it!

Anon: actually, im ok w/this lol
Anon: they’re in a tough spot now
Anon: This is a murder case?
Anon: we need dox on these guys
Anon: but Madarame’s alive, huh

Music: Beneath the Mask

But that’s impossible!

Why are people doubting the Phantom Thieves over what happened to President Okumura?

Yeah, I trust them! Anyway, it seems like everyone’s forgotten all that they’ve done up to this point. That won’t stop me though. I’ll continue cheering them on. Make sure you tell them that! Well, see you later!
Mishima is a bit narrow-sighted, but he’s a good person deep down. We can’t betray him…

You have to be kidding me! How could they accuse us of that!?

Stock prices are low—it’s almost certain Okumura Foods is pressured to restructure their management. The public is watching to see how they handle the issues Mr. Okumura addressed in his press conference.
What’s going to happen to Haru’s company? I’m worried about that, too.

Seems like it!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In this part of the game there are several changes in the text reactions that play during day transitions and during reactions to the Phantom Thieves' exploits. Some of them change by the day; the evening of 10/11 to the entirety of 10/12 has its own set of reactions, as does 10/13.

What I'm getting at here is that I'd like to ask if anyone wants me to compile some of the ones we've missed so far in a short bonus update? A lot of them are pretty good.

e: also this update's pretty short because I expect the next one to be very long, sorry

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 30, 2018

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
In retrospect, having watched the opening sequence multiple times (cause it's sooooo good) I really should have noticed we got arrested in our Phantom Theives gear.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, a mini update would be cool. Also:

quote:

Anon: dont fukkin murder ppl

Words to live by.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
well at least someone can see the setup for what it is

and clearly Yusuke is a mole

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

DeafNote posted:

well at least someone can see the setup for what it is

and clearly Yusuke is a mole

But he is standing still not digging, he’s clearly some sort of meerkat or sloth.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

RickVoid posted:

In retrospect, having watched the opening sequence multiple times (cause it's sooooo good) I really should have noticed we got arrested in our Phantom Theives gear.

I'd been wondering about that for a while, especially given that he's not being interrogated with them on. And if Niijima is the target of that run, then nothing I could have thought of as an explanation makes much sense. Her Palace is a casino...?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
dont fukkin murder ppl: Let's Play Persona 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

I'd been wondering about that for a while, especially given that he's not being interrogated with them on. And if Niijima is the target of that run, then nothing I could have thought of as an explanation makes much sense. Her Palace is a casino...?
I've a theory on the casino structure, although it's one hell of an indictment of Sae's character. Then again, she does have a Palace, so ...

I wonder how Akechi fits into this. Going after Sae is definitely flying rather close to the sun.