Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Leraika posted:

Hifumi is such a good girl.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I wonder who or what is going to end up being the World Arcana for this game, what with Igor breaking the mould and taking the Fool.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The World Arcana was Elizabeths in P3, wasnt it?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Who had it in P4?

In Golden Marie had Aeon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nobody had it in either game; it was the "You've won" arcana.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The World is never an SL. Aeon yes, never the actual World.

Elizabeth has the World for her boss fight and the World is the arcana for P4 MC's ultimate persona.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I forgot that Elizabeth is not actually a social link in P3

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
gently caress, got World mixed up with Judgement.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Based on the past games, if/when Persona 5 gets an updated re-release with a new Aeon social link, I wonder if it'll be for an existing character or a new one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DeafNote posted:

I forgot that Elizabeth is not actually a social link in P3

In OG, in P3P she was.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

In OG, in P3P she was.

She's still not an 'actual' SL though, there's no Arcana associated with her.

Yeah her outings are similar to Margaret/Caroline&Justine's requests, but as far as the game goes it's just fun trips out with your kooky blue pal.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not really sure what characters would be updated with a Social Link in a possible P5 remake. It seems like everyone major has one, barring any kind of last minute twists that reveal the Homeless Man is the main antagonist or something.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
We finally get a gay romance option, but it's with one of the horrible stereotype duo. A finger curls on the monkey's paw.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Akechi and the MC might make a cute couple, but I wouldn't want this team trying to write it.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Were they localized by the same company?

No, Mirage sessions was handled by Nintendo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cdyoung posted:

No, Mirage sessions was handled by Nintendo.

No, Atlus did localize TMS

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/04/22/atlus-localization-for-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe/

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Oh thank god I'm wrong.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mraagvpeine posted:

Based on the past games, if/when Persona 5 gets an updated re-release with a new Aeon social link, I wonder if it'll be for an existing character or a new one.

Lala Escargot, of course.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 128: 10/23-10/24: The Akechi Gambit

Anon: world-famous fail loool
Anon: hurry up and end the world
Anon: got dox on the thieves yet?
Anon: Shut this site down!!!

He’s just trying to get popular, isn’t he? He wants to stand out.
Just hurry up and arrest the Phantom Thieves already…
I’m curious… It seems like he knows something.
I bet he found out some really juicy secret!

Anon: support went to poo poo lmao
Anon: Officer, look!
Anon: low expectations, ho!

Music: Disquiet

Well… Sis actually stopped mentioning anything about work in front of me… It’s possible I made some sort of mistake…

Yeah, you sure hosed up that data transfer.

Regardless, I thought over the matter of who we’re going to invite for our school festival… I’m considering asking Akechi-kun.

For real!? Weren’t you talkin’ about how you didn’t wanna draw danger to us or whatever?
I understand this is dangerous. But without a powerful source of intel, we won’t be able to win against the police network. And I can no longer rely on my sister for information…
Wait, is this because of Akechi-kun’s police connections? You’re going to use him as your “powerful source of intel”…?
Bold move. I’m surprised to hear that suggestion coming from you, Makoto.
Did you see his press conference yesterday? One of his comments defending the Phantom Thieves stood out to me. “There is more to this.” I think he said that knowing for certain that the Phantom Thieves would be watching.
Still, there will be so many other students at the school festival… What are the odds of success?
It’s a gamble. And the odds are less than favorable… But we can no longer afford to hesitate. (to Maaku) What are your thoughts? Should we invite Akechi-kun?

Music: Suspicion

In that case… I’ll do it. Is everyone else OK with that?

The group nods.

I’m good… Whatever he says has gotta be more reliable than what I’ve been able to come up with.
It would be reassuring to gain him as an ally, rather than simply a source of information.
Hold on, how’re we even gonna get in touch with him? It’s not like we got his contact info…
We have all the data from the PC of a public prosecutor! Finding his phone number was a no brainer!
drat, you’re real impressive…
But then, wouldn’t he wonder how we acquired his number?
I’ll just say my sister had it. That isn’t even technically a lie.

Ha, devious. Though if he ends up asking Sae about it we’re totally boned.

Can you send me the number, Futaba?

You already agreed, Ryuji. Shut up.

Now’s no time to be petty.
Just think of him as a source of intel, nothing more.

He says, “Let me think about it.”
Wait a sec. Didn’t he say he wasn’t gonna do any more stuff for the media?
That’s likely why he’s so hesitant.
What’re we gonna do if he turns us down?
I’ll keep trying. It may be frustrating, but he’s all we have at the moment. We need him to do it, no matter what.

What if he refuses? Are you just gonna wear him down with “pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease”?

We’re counting on you, Makoto…

Music: Beneath the Mask

I wonder if he’ll really be interested in our offer…

Stock prices of security companies are on the rise due to growing concerns about public safety. Overall stock market performance, though, is down, and phantom thief goods companies are suffering…
I never expected that even the economy would get worse… This isn’t our fault!

You’re not at fault. Still, he might try to harass you…
I have Futaba’s uncle’s name. I promised Futaba we’d change his heart together. I should talk to her during the day...

All right, Akechi-kun, let’s get you home. Your family is probably worried about you.
Hmm, there’sh an inshident, offisher! Which way’s yer car? Heeey, taxi!
Geez, my patrol car isn’t a taxi.

They only target high-profile people like artists and CEOs. And who could believe they’d have a change of heart, anyway? I’m sure it’s all staged! Scumbags deserve to be destroyed, not have a change of heart. The world’d be better off that way.

What? Are you going against the grain just to be cool? You don’t have to push it. Just be yourself. Isn’t that what you promised when you changed your image and moved out here?
I haven’t changed anything! But perhaps I have forgotten who I am, deep down inside…

And this, children, is an example of how an errant comma can completely change the meaning of a sentence.

Murder’s a step too far. My friends in class were shocked.
OK, OK, enough worrying! We got more important concerns, like when our next party’ll be!

I see you’ve been practicing. Your Japanese is much better.
I no longer fear prejudice, now that I’ve learned to be sincere and hospitable! I wonder if the Phantom Thieves are struggling with he same thing. I don’t think they murdered anyone.

Aww, Foreign Barker! You do believe in us! :unsmith:

So, we need Guts to advance Iwai, and pretty much all of our night Confidants are gated by Mementos. This means that we’re going to be consuming a lot of burgers to increase our Guts instead of advancing Confidants.

Maaku gains a boosted Guts +3. This is about where I start getting concerned that we haven’t ranked up yet.

Anon: They were screwing with us.
Anon: I reported this website.
Anon: lol dont be fooled so easy
Anon: throw em in the slammer!

WISE GUY STUDENT

Also, how the hell did that leak? I doubt Makoto was going around telling people, unless the faculty jumped the gun.

I kinda saw that coming. Everyone I know voted for him.
Didn’t he say he wasn’t gonna make any more appearances though? Why’d he agree to come here?
It probably has to do with the Phantom Thieves. Wasn’t Akechi going around saying how evil they were before?
Oh yeah! That proves they’re connected to our school somehow then!
Hey, you’re right! Maybe he’ll tell us some stuff about the case! No way am I gonna miss the panel this year!
Hmph… They just say whatever they want with no thought… But for now we’ll just need to endure it. At least until we can get some more intel…

Music: So Boring

I’m the advisor for the ESS, so I’ll be busy helping them today. ESS stands for English Study Society, by the way. We need to advertise that Shujin’s a school that provides an education you can use anywhere in the world. Hey! Mr. Hamiru! There are tons of three-letter acronyms like ESS in the world. Can you tell me what the S in SOS means?

Correct. SOS is often said to mean “save our ship.” “Save our souls” is another interpretation too… ...But in reality, it’s not an acronym of anything. It’s just the simplest thing you can send in Morse code in an emergency. If you haven’t finished preparing for the festival though, it’s too late to send an SOS now.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

The school festival isn’t just a time for you students to goof off. It’s an important event where we invite prospective students, PTA members, and the like to attend. This time, we have Akechi-san for a panel. There will be twice as many guests even though it’s a weekday.

Did I miss something? Did he already agree?

I’ll have to spend twice as much time on my makeup tomorrow too… Be on your best behavior! Got it?
The school festival, huh… Is Akechi really going to be there…

How’d you do?
drat… I’m dead…
Hey, look at that! Look who got the top score!
I wonder what score I got...

That’s amazing! Everyone’s gonna have their eyes on you now!

Maaku gains Charm +3.

Music: So Boring

Nothing.

Then why was everyone talking like it was a done deal!?

But tomorrow is the start of the school festival. Will this be OK? If Akechi-kun declines our offer, we won’t have a guest…
Huh? That’s what you’re worried about?
I appreciate the concern, but it will be fine. I just need to get Akechi-kun to agree to this somehow.
Yup.
What’s that bastard up to anyways?
He hasn’t done anything since he said he was gonna go into hiding.
I’m not sure. I’ll try explaining the circumstances surrounding the school festival to him again. Hopefully he can give me a response by the end of the day. I’ll let you know if I make any progress on that front.

Music: Everyday Days

Yadda yadda yadda, he throws chalk at us and we dodge. Maaku gains Charm +2. Geez, they really want us to max Charm.

There’s really only one option here.

Jesus christ, he played along!

Take a look around. ...Is the Niijima lady doing well?

Last time you saw her she threatened to revoke your custody, dude.

Unfortunately, we haven’t seen each other lately. We had a… difference of opinion.

This dude again!?

And because they’ve targeted only prominent figures, our government leaders have been hesitant to act. I apologize for any concern they may have caused and will henceforth search for an apt countermeasure.

Saying he’s gonna do it all fast means he’s lying, you simpleton.

The selfish criminals enacting this “social reform” are in fact the ones most deserving of reformation. Answering to the interest of the people as hastily as possible is my natural duty as a politician.

What a fuckin’ rube.

We must resolve this problem, and I assure the people of this noble country that I will do just that.

Yeah, you also thought that the last time you saw him. Jesus christ, what a dope Maaku is.

Standing here’s my job.
That politician is honest and carries an overwhelming amount of charisma. It feels like a trustworthy leader for Japan has finally come forth. Don’t you think, Boss?
Sorry, wasn’t listening.

However, that is ignorant of their true nature.

It may be somewhat of a stretch to say I’m “on their side.” Having said that, I won’t deny that I empathize with them on some level. If this Okumura incident was not the Phantom Thieves… If they only change the hearts of criminals… Then even though they can’t be considered “innocent”… Perhaps my goals are not so different from theirs.

Hahaha. I knew there was something special about you, ever since the first time we met. I feel as though I could tell you anything during our conversations.

Man, Akechi’s really into me. Shame we didn’t pick that route. And also that he’s a cop.

I feel like I understand Akechi a little more now...

Oh wait, I’m sure you know that already. Considering it’s such a good opportunity, I’ve decided to accept the offer.

Glad you liked it.

I’ll be going now.

Okay first off, “prolly”? Don’t think I didn’t catch that, localization team. Sojiro would never say that, you clearly just ran out of space. Second, I’M TOP OF THE CLASS, DUDE.

Hm? Really?
Either way, the real issue is what we do next.
The lecture is on the afternoon of the second day, yes?
Wait, you’re coming to our school festival?
It’s during my exam week, so I’ll be able to go in the afternoon.
You wanna come too, Futaba? C’mon, it’ll be fun!

That sounds incredibly suspicious, yo!

This is the perfect chance for us to relax though.
Haru, um, are you sure you’re OK? This seems a little soon.
I am, thank you. I’ve just always dreamed of walking around my school festival with friends.
I suppose if you say it like that, I can resign myself to enjoying our time there too. Thanks, Haru.
It’s my pleasure.

We conducted a survey about the Phantom Thieves, who have been the target of intensifying criticism. Close to ninety percent of respondents said they do not support the Phantom Thieves.
The whole world’s against us now… This could be bad.

I guess you can’t judge a book by its cover. Then maybe you didn’t need this… Oh well. Take it.

I made it myself. It has the finest coffee bean I have in it. I wanted to give it to you before the exams… but well, you still have more tests. Don’t let up on the finals.

The Leblanc Charm nulls Sleep. Not great.

This country’s got a first-rate economy with a cut-rate government. He’s a rare specimen. Our souls resonate on the same frequency… That is, exceptional people can always recognize one another. You’ll see one day, hahaha. Well, I’ll be going home then.

The real question is, how do we get info out of Akechi…?

Let me warn you again: if you do anything this time, it's over, you hear?

And another burger. Maaku gains a boosted Guts +3.

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 29, 2019

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The fear of not having enough guts

did you miss a book somewhere maybe?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If you stuff enough burgers down your throat you should be fine.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I didn't think that Atlus would actually have the balls to make Akechi romanceable, but drat he gets flirty with you.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Akechi is a good boy.

FYI Arist, I think you messed up Haru's portrait in the chatlog where they decide to walk around together. You use her regular portrait instead of her IM image.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeafNote posted:

The fear of not having enough guts

did you miss a book somewhere maybe?

To my knowledge there's only one Guts book we haven't read yet and it's nowhere near enough to get us to the next rank on its own, so... BURGER TIME.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I see that "Guts" will be literal in this case.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You never truly escape the Meat Dimension.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I forgot that Sojiro has some new dialogue if you talk to him again after accepting the exam gift, but most of it's pretty banal and only some of it even relates to the Phantom Thieves. Except for this, which I went back and included:

quote:

Let me warn you again: if you do anything this time, it's over, you hear?

Not much, but I felt I should keep it in.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'm sort of curious what he says if you get his rank 10 first, or if he just doesn't get the realization like everyone else.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Leraika posted:

I didn't think that Atlus would actually have the balls to make Akechi romanceable, but drat he gets flirty with you.

Akechi was the Rise stand-in this whole time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Foreign Barker being in our corner makes everything okay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

[img] I feel like I understand Akechi a little more now...

You missed a spot, kid. :clint:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Lala finally got a voice since she showed up in the anime last episode, and it's the stereotypical male deep voice with a falsetto when she greeted Amamiya when he walks into the bar. On the other hand, the two camp gay stereotypes got voices too, and they're just as bad as one can imagine.

Also, didn't the Japanese voice actress for Chihaya pass away or something? They got a new one for her, but I can't compare it because I haven't heard the old one.

I like how they're changing up some of the bits of the anime regarding the storyline, cutting some of the investigation stuff wrt finding Kaneshiro's name. They just had Makoto make the recording of the Phantom Thieves taking, her calling Amamiya up to the student council room and then having him take her to the walkway over Shibuya hideout to have her play the recording for the rest of the Thieves, then jump straight to them trying to find Kaneshiro's goons, with her getting accosted alongside Ren in the alleyway with the Protein Lovers gym and being too obvious, getting rid of tracking down that Shujin student that was being blackmailed. She even asks for your phone number at the end of that encounter instead of going through Leblanc like in the game. They cut one of the Sae/Makoto scenes at home though, unless they're changing up the order and will show it next episode...

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Both Chihaya's and Kaneshiro's voice actors have passed away.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

GhostStalker posted:

They cut one of the Sae/Makoto scenes at home though, unless they're changing up the order and will show it next episode...

didnt that scene happen right before Makoto's kaneshiro scene anyway?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

DeafNote posted:

didnt that scene happen right before Makoto's kaneshiro scene anyway?

The specific one where Sae yells at Makoto is right before she goes after Kaneshiro personally, but I remember there being other more minor ones at their apartment.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
eh I am okay with those being skipped, since you can get the gist of their interactions with the big scene (which they better not skip)
I do wish they'd show the Akechi dissing Makoto scene

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 129: 10/25-10/26: The Akechi Reversal

Anon: I told you so…
Anon: They need to be executed.
Anon: yeah... this is terrorism
Anon: Murderers deserve to die!

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

There’s definitely a lot more people than last year.
Well, yeah. This place got “famous” and all. The Phantom Thieves, Kamoshida, Principal Kobayakawa. On top of that, we got Akechi as a guest.
There may be police officers in plainclothes too… Actually, they probably are here. We better be careful about what we discuss.

Maybe we should be avoiding having this suspicious conversation in the entrance, then!?

Acting like normal students is going to be important.

So no talking to cats. Got it.

What do you normally do at a school festival?

The group pauses.

Look around at the exhibits… and eat stuff?
There’s no rules. Remember when we went to the beach before? Why not go about it like that?

I-I know that.
There’s a possibility that both your names have come up during the course of the investigation.

A number of the teachers had been questioned before, and even we were interviewed the other day too.
Don’t let your guard down too much.
It’s true that the initial members have been at this for a long time, making it easier to get tracked…

Like, you know, what Makoto did.

All riiight…
Now, now. Let’s leave it at that. We just need to be mindful about what we’re saying, correct?
(embarrassed) Oh, um…
You seem to be having quite a lot of fun, Haru. You did mention that you were looking forward to this.
I want to go around with everyone and eat at the refreshment stands.

Shall we head off to the stands then?

Oh right. This is your first time at our school festival.
They’re pretty good. From what I’ve heard…

What does that mean? Did you skip your last one?

I know a great one! Follow me.

“Maid Takoyaki”…?

Music: Wicked Plan

New customers! I’ll show you all to your seats.
...So it’s your class’s stand.
It’s still a refreshment stand, isn’t it?
It’s like a deserted island here…
Well, I guess it’s good for talking since there aren’t any people here…

And it was all bullshit.
Here she comes… Act normal.
Who cares…? There’s nothin’ “normal” about this anymore.

May I take your order?
“Take my order”!? What happened to the maid atmosphere!?
There are a lot of odd flavors…
Stick to a normal one. I bet they--
I’m so sorry. We sold our last normal one to the previous customer.
The hell…
Well then… I’ll have the mentai cheese takoyaki.
I’m sorry. We’re out of cod roe.
Then, how about the squid--
Um… We’re currently out catching squid. It’ll probably be another five or six hours…
That doesn’t even sound remotely possible! Ain’t this whole menu just a sham!?

Ryuji sounds angrier than he has for most of the rest of the game here.

Actually, we spent most of our budget on making the maid costumes look nice. We didn’t put too much effort into the octopus.
I can see that!
(whispering) Ryuji, you’re making a scene…
Then, what would you recommend with what you have now?
That would be the Russian takoyaki.
We’ll have that, please.
This will take a little time.

I’ve even heard conjecture that the principal was targeted for reasons like “he knew too much.”
I kept hearing about Goro Akechi’s popularity.
All thanks to the Phantom Thieves!
You know, did that Akechi guy agree to show up here ‘cause he believes we didn’t kill anybody…?
Or, he may simply love large gatherings.
Oh, true. He didn’t seem like he minded being pampered by the media at all.
We plan on stealing intel, but we might fall into another trap. I’m gonna be bummed if that happens…

You’re so carefree. ...Does it mean you have nerves of steel in any situation? Still, it doesn’t change the fact that we don’t know what Akechi-kun is planning.

Ooh, it’s fresh made!

Music: My Homie

Lies! I heard a microwave go off!
Well, it’s not like I was expectin’ crispy takoyaki at a school festival or anything. So, what makes this a “Russian” takoyaki…?
Could there be jam in it as a secret ingredient? That sounds quite delicious.
Well… one of these is “special.”

Dude, don’t tell me the “Russian” part means…

Gotta admit, this is a really solid, dumb joke.

I-Is that so?
I’d prefer the most beautifully shaped one… but all of them are misshapen.
Oh, aren’t you all going to eat? I think I’ll go for the “special” one.
Wait… Is she honestly going for it?

HARU’S FUCKIN’ HARDCORE, NICE

(to Maaku) Do YOU wanna go for the red one?

Uh… well, yeah.

I love this line. He sounds so defeated by my idiocy.

Th-The panel isn’t until tomorrow though…
I came to check out the venue. I can’t make any mistakes since a lot of people will be present.
Someone’s eager.
But people ended up recognizing me. Everyone bombarded me with questions.

You’re wearing your normal clothes, dude. Not much of a disguise.

(whispering) That’s ‘cause you were sloppy…
I grew tired of the baseless rumors they kept bringing up, so I escaped to where there weren’t any people.

*gasp* The “special” one…!

That’s for Haru, you bastard! Put the takoyaki back in the box!

Let’s just call this my performance fee.

Akechi eats the special takoyaki.

But--
It’s fine.

Eating it in one bite is a bad idea…

Music: Wicked Plan

Ohhh… Oh, my stomach… It burns…!
Are you OK? Do you need water?

Hey, does he sound broken to you?
W-Well then… I’ll… I’ll see you… uh… t-t-t-tomorrow.

It’s like he wants to get picked up for some commercial or something…
But… did he truly come to simply check the venue? ...This isn’t good. I keep suspecting every little thing…
...I know what you mean. I’m doing the same too. I need to do my best tomorrow. We need to somehow get him to be our source of intel… I’m gonna pull this off no matter what!
That Akechi guy… When he got here, didn’t he say that everyone’s all here? “Everyone”…?

He’s met most of us, minus Haru, before. Couldn’t he just be talking about that?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Yes, but the associated mental fatigue was extraordinary. Being cautious takes a lot out of you…
Seriously. I think I’m as tired now as I am after midterms.
I didn’t mind any of that. I just loved seeing that detective gulp down the special takoyaki…
I had fun as well, since I got to spend time with you all.
What would you like to do now, Haru? Walk around a little more?
I appreciate the gesture, but I’m satisfied with stopping here. Why don’t we go home and rest up? We’ll have to deal with Akechi-kun again tomorrow, after all…
I have to agree. What will his next move be…?

Criticism against him is not only coming from the opposition, but from the ruling party as well. If the ruling party does split, then a snap election may be a real possibility.
I don’t know much about politics, but it sounds like there’s a lot going on in the government.

Anon: world-famous fail loool
Anon: lol, ppl still like them?
Anon: you’re guilty too tbh
Anon: got dox on the thieves yet?

Our guest of honor is Goro Akechi.
I feel kind of bad, considering how many people have gathered… I’m sure you all would’ve been happier to have a singer or a mascot appear, wouldn’t you say?

The crowd begins laughing and cheering raucously.

We’d appreciate it if you could tell us about your experiences with the notorious Phantom Thieves.

“You know, all those experiences you’ve definitely had.”

It’d be wonderful if you could let us hear more about your actual investigative process.
I’m not used to being the one interrogated… so please go easy on me.

The crowd laughs.

This might be kind of a confusing scene because it involves multiple conversations happening in different parts of the same room. I’ll try to make it as clear as I can.

He talks of how the Phantom Thieves are dangerous, yet he says they haven’t committed any murders… Either he has an idea who the true culprit is, or he has uncovered the identities of the Phantom Thieves.
C’mon, Makoto… You gotta get it outta him…!

Well, if it’s as much as I’m allowed to say, then everything on TV and the internet is all of it. We don’t have any leads yet, and the methods behind their crimes are still unclear.

So you don’t know anything about them, and you couldn’t say anything even if you did! Wow, really interesting panel! I guess we should start with the audience Q&A, then, with riveting questions like “This is actually more of a three-part statement...” and “How do I break into games journalism?”

Even with this country’s power, arresting them is proving to be difficult… Is that the case?
I wouldn’t phrase it that way… but well, something like that.
Thank you for answering that question. By the way, it seems you’ve denied a correlation between the Phantom Thieves and the murders… Why the sudden change? Until now, haven’t you upheld your stance that the Phantom Thieves are dangerous? How are you so positive that they haven’t committed murder?
Aren’t you a little too comfortable interrogating people? Why, it’s as if you’re a prosecutor.

The audience laughs once again. Is Makoto’s sister being a prosecutor common knowledge to the students?

Ah, excuse me. This is something I’ve personally been interested in, so I couldn’t help it… But won’t you tell us? What reason is there that you’d claim their innocence when you previously stated they were unjust?

She’s pelting him with questions.

Why, then, was he the only one who needed to be killed…?
Why is that?
I must admit… I couldn’t deduce a reason. That’s why I believe that case should be thought of as if a different party is responsible. And if-- This is all hypothetical, mind you. If the Phantom Thieves are the ones I know of, I can’t possibly imagine they would kill anyone.

Oh poo poo! We’re boned!

The crowd begins chattering.

Music: Tension

Oh, no. The police haven’t gotten that far yet. But I have my own conclusions about the true identities of the Phantom Thieves.

Pipe down!
He’s lying, right…?
But if it’s the truth…

It’s only my personal opinion, so announcing that here wouldn’t pose a problem. However… ...There is a possibility that everyone present will hear the truth before the police or media.

What’s he planning on saying…?

If you’re so certain… then very well. I’d like to ask you then: Who do you think the Phantom Thieves are, Akechi-san?

What are you doooooiiiiinnnng!?

No… there’s no way he could have any evidence…

Would you mind if I step away for about… ten minutes or so?

God, you’re gonna give everyone in the audience blue balls, huh?

I’m terribly sorry, everyone, but we’ll be taking a break. We’ll resume the panel in ten minutes.

The crowd goes nuts.

There’s the PE faculty office.

Your friends from yesterday are here, aren’t they? Can you bring them too, if that’s all right?

Did you set this up…?
We only have ten minutes, you know.

Akechi places some photographs on the table.

Music: Desire

That’s gotta be ‘shopped!
I have video footage too.

Well… gently caress. I vote we kill him.

Please, let’s not feign ignorance. All of you can go to that other world too, yes?

It’s not just all of you. I am aware of that world too… I also know that when you traverse over there, your appearance changes as well. It’s because of those mysterious powers, isn’t it?

This had been installed onto my phone without my knowledge.

Dude, it’s the Nav…
When the app activated on its own, the scenery around me suddenly changed. Quite frankly, I still can’t believe it myself. But from the look of these photos, all of you seem quite used to it.
We’ve been listenin’ to you blab on for a while now, but cut the delusional--
All of you are acting as Phantom Thieves in the Metaverse. I can say so with conviction because I have the same power as you.

So you admit it then. In all honesty, I’ve been curious about you since the time of the Madarame case. But to think it would end up like this…

I believe that as well.
...How can you be so sure?
Because I saw another—the real culprit.

Okay, we’re all very shocked at these developments, we get it.

Who was it!?
I couldn’t identify his face… He had a mask on, after all. Actually, when I took these photos, I entered that world too.

This dude’s just so happy about murder.

He shot at me the moment he noticed me.

Most likely. At the very least, I was almost killed by him. “I can’t die here… I need to determine the truth...” When those thoughts overcame me, I awakened to that power—a most fortunate accident.

Morgana. Our teammate who taught us about the Metaverse.
...Really? This is unbelievable… But it IS true that you know things that I don’t… ...Say, Morgana. Were you also the one who instructed them on how to change people’s hearts? I experienced that world too, but I still haven’t solved that mystery yet.

And those whose Treasure has been stolen have a change of heart.
Hahaha… There’s certainly no way anyone could figure out such an MO.

Although I don’t completely understand the method, all you do is simply reform people. Someone else is behind the murders. However, the police have decided that the Phantom Thieves did it… They’ll arrest you at this rate.
Th-They’re going to treat me as my father’s murderer…?
I can’t overlook such a grave mistake. Which is precisely why I want us to strike a deal. I may be able to save you from this situation.

I would like you to cooperate with me on investigating the truth.
And if we decline?
Then I think I’ll have to inform the police about all of you, along with that video I mentioned.

gently caress YEAH IT IS

The justice I uphold will not tolerate criminals who kill people at their leisure.
Justice…
You’ve heard that Sae-san is the one spearheading the investigation about you Phantom Thieves, correct? The higher-ups are concerned only with settling the case. They want to capture the culprits behind the psychotic breakdown incidents and end the commotion. Those are the ones who are putting pressure on Sae-san. I can only imagine her impatience.
What of evidence that we did it? How do they intend on proving it?
Even if there is no objective explanation to the method, it’s over once causality is established. Sae-san can’t make rational judgments at the moment. If she were to be cornered, well… she may even make up a confession.

So, they’re gonna make it all our fault!? Just ‘cause they feel like it!?

...And we’re still going to be arrested?
You’ll be found guilty if you’re caught, and it will be treated as a very serious crime.

Alternate title for this update: “Ryuji’s Effing Pissed!”

Unfortunately, there’s nothing I can do alone anymore to stop the flow of things…
And that’s why you want our cooperation…?
Yes. In return, I’ll turn a blind eye to what you’ve done. Those are my conditions. That said, I ask that you disband the Phantom Thieves after this.
What should we do about Akechi-san’s proposal…?

I sadly must decline, for I am too young to—oh, you mean what he’s asking right now.

I see… I thought I was making a lot of concessions myself… Well, you don’t have to decide at the moment. Considering this is you we’re talking about, I believe you’ll come to a favorable reply.
I can sense a bond of trust coming from Akechi...

I’m glad we could talk. It’s been a while since I’ve been able to spend such a meaningful time like this. I look forward to your answer. It was definitely worth coming today—for various reasons.

I can feel the fanfiction getting written as I type this sentence.

...About that. I’m sorry. Would it be acceptable if we ended the panel here? The reason why you called for me in the first place was because you wanted intel, correct? My business is concluded as well.
I’ll deal with it somehow.

My memory is a haze...

So, I truly apologize about this… But I’ll have to end things here today.

The crowd is despondent. As they should be, because this loving tease was about to tell them who the Phantom Thieves were!

To make up for the time that was planned for this panel, the rakugo research club will instead be--

BORING

I can’t say anything in detail regarding the Phantom Thieves investigation… But I feel another great stride will occur again soon. I hope you all continue to pay attention to what happens.
Let’s have a big round of applause for today’s guest, Goro Akechi.

He totally used Makoto’s suggestion against us.
Indeed. We intended to get intel out of him, but to think it would play out like this.
So what? We’ll just accept his deal?
He’s got evidence on us. We really don’t have a choice…
Dammit, what’re we gonna do!?
Calm down, Ryuji.
How am I s’posed to calm down!? What are we gonna do!?
What’s done is done. We’ll have to cool our heads and think more on this. We must make up our minds by the time he contacts us again.
We need to give this a lot of thought…

Although things have quieted down until recently, several incidents have occurred once again. Furthermore, new information has come to light about the suspect who suffered sudden mental shutdown… He had received a calling card from the Phantom Thieves.

Music: Desire

OH gently caress

If so, those occurrences back in spring can be attributed to them as well. Moreover…

Seems like this whole enterprise is collapsing around us! Tune in next time to find out how the hell we get out of this one!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The plot's kicking into high gear again.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I'm almost sorry I did the "We're in a tight spot" thing earlier in the LP, because now kinda makes the other time look like penuts. Not only has Akechi cottoned on to everything and isn't shy about blackmailing us with arrest if we don't go along, but the one person who was never supposed to find out about Maaku and the Phantom Thieves... has found out. Big things is happenin', I mean; the plot train has taken off anew.

Privately, the bit with the Russian Takoyaki is one of my favorite Akechi bits. It's yet another thing that drives home that no matter how much Goro tries to build his suave Detective Prince cred, he is still a massive dork and no amount of effort will change that. It's pretty great :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

gently caress, first we have to kill Akechi, then Dad.