Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

resurgam40 posted:

the law would have to be change- the Civil Code updated, the police abolished, the state dissolved.

That escalated quickly. Why change the law and the civil code if you’re going to remove any ability to enforce either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Qrr posted:

That escalated quickly. Why change the law and the civil code if you’re going to remove any ability to enforce either?

Because some people miss the point that SMT Chaos routes tend to be just as bad as the Law ones, if not worse, most of the time if you actually look at the overall impact on people.

Alternatively they're an anarchist, but I'd like to imagine they aren't really that dumb.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Comrade Jack Frost led the Demon's Glorious Republic of Worker Demons to victory in the Glorious Patriotic Demon's Worker's Revolution of Worker Demons.

The snow runs red with the blood of the Green Army, hee-ho.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Alternatively they're an anarchist, but I'd like to imagine they aren't really that dumb.

I take deep offense at this, but will allow it for my internet anime vidya games.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arist posted:

On that note, do you all know how to write the kanji for “crow”?

Oh boy, a kanji quiz!

The characters for “bird” and “crow” look very similar, but the latter has one fewer line. What do you think, Hamiru-kun? Isn’t it easy to confuse with “bird”?

At least this one is kinda solvable if you think about it and ignore the obviously wrong answers.

Exactly.

Even though the kanji is missing the eye line, crow actually have pretty good vision.

Hey, that bird hanzi (the Chinese reading of the kanji characters for "kanji") is the right half of the last character of my given name in Chinese!

The first is my generational name (all males of a generation were supposed to get the same character, but my grandfather didn't enforce it as strictly as he could have like his own father, so my uncle broke the scheme with my younger cousin), and my personal name is 鴻, pronounced Hong, which is a combination of the characters for river on the left and bird on the right. When I first learned how to write it, I tended to write the two parts too far apart, resulting in my grandfather making fun of me by calling me river bird in Cantonese.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was going to say that the Transformers Judas is Starscream, but then that would mean Megatron is Jesus and I can't think of a better replacement.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was going to say that the Transformers Judas is Starscream, but then that would mean Megatron is Jesus and I can't think of a better replacement.

Weren't Megatron and Optimus allies and friends before they had a violent falling out that lead to the whole Autobots vs. Decepticons feud, way back on Cybertron? It's been a while since I've poked around tfwiki, anyways.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Lord Koth posted:

Because some people miss the point that SMT Chaos routes tend to be just as bad as the Law ones, if not worse, most of the time if you actually look at the overall impact on people.

Rude! I'd like to clarify my position if only to get my own back some, but Arist has requested this not turn into a political thread, so I'll just leave it at saying that your understanding of anarchy is shoddy and shameful and that you a rude bastard. :mad:

VanSandman posted:

I want a marxist revolutionary JRPG

Me too... but if you don't mind furries, there's this adventure game and this strategy game to tide you over until we get one. (Or the real-life revolution comes, whichever comes first. Or last.)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lightrook posted:

Weren't Megatron and Optimus allies and friends before they had a violent falling out that lead to the whole Autobots vs. Decepticons feud, way back on Cybertron? It's been a while since I've poked around tfwiki, anyways.

Depends which continuity. That's the current Movie background, also Prime.

The G1 cartoon and comic have Megatron just being an rear end in a top hat who gathered like-minded assholes to conquer Cybertron and/or the galaxy.

Animated has the feud being the latest in a long line of Cybertronian factional warfare, with Optimus being basically a college dropout low in the Autobot hierarchy and Megs not even being the original Decepticon leader.

IDW has the Decepticons being Megatron's resistance movement to Cybertron's monstrously corrupt and racist Senate that got incredibly out of hand due to the Decepticon cause attracting all sorts of horrible people and Megatron himself getting a good taste for blood after a bit of police brutality. Optimus was an admirer of Megs' movement but ends up forming the Autobots to fight the Decepticons after Megatron makes it clear that he's not going to stop until he rules Cybertron himself.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Arist posted:

Mr. Shido’s new party, the “United Future,” sent a motion of non-confidence against the cabinet. It was approved by a majority vote, which then led to a dissolution of the House. An election is expected to be held before the yearend, and each party has already begun preparing.
Oh, sounds like there’s going to be an election. I wonder who’s going to win.

This is kind of a huge deal and it's amazing that they just bury it in skippable side content.

Political stuff is kind of my thing, though, so I've done some research into Japan's House of Representatives. The situation as presented is realistic - Japan's Constitution does allow for the House to be dissolved after the passage of a motion of no confidence.

The voting system for the House is also kind of strange. 176 members are elected from multi-member constituencies and a further 289 are elected from single-member seats. These systems don't really interact, though, so large parties seem to have a big advantage. The current government, under Shinzo Abe, has 312 of the 465 seats.

All of this is by way of confirming that the poo poo Shido is pulling would be a MAJOR loving deal in Japan and it's kind of mind boggling that the game glosses it over.

E: The closest parallel I can think of for American readers would be some group splintering off the Democrat or Republican Party and having the numbers to not just gently caress with legislation, but to immediately dissolve Congress and force an election.

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 26, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, the game's kind of bad about burying that stuff. Let's just say there's a ton of incredibly relevant information in the daily TV messages and I haven't only been showing them off because they're cool.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The game could use an aside to explain Japanese politics to non-Japanese players, because Shido's whole plotline gets a bit murky without understanding it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On the Japanesee police being lovely. Lets not forgot that shittyness is corruption and illegal. Becoming Commissioner would help fix that stuff.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Funky Valentine posted:

The game could use an aside to explain Japanese politics to non-Japanese players, because Shido's whole plotline gets a bit murky without understanding it.

It's very different to US politics, and much closer to the Westminster system you see in the UK, Canada, Australia, etc. The voting system seems a bit weird though, and basically guarantees large majorities for governing parties.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Coq au Nandos posted:

It's very different to US politics, and much closer to the Westminster system you see in the UK, Canada, Australia, etc. The voting system seems a bit weird though, and basically guarantees large majorities for governing parties.

Also, the game is super on the nose by having the ruling party that Shido's new one is splitting being called the Liberal Co-Prosperity Party, referencing both the hegemonic Liberal Democratic Party who have ruled Japan for almost the entirety of the post war period (I think they've only been out of power for like 5 years or something like that), and the name of the World War II Japanese Empire, officially the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Or I'm just reading way too much into a translation choice.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Arist posted:

Bahahahahahaha, oh that’s dumb.

Has anyone in the real world ever reverted to another speech pattern or language from getting too stressed or angry, or is this just a thing that happens in stories?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Solitair posted:

Has anyone in the real world ever reverted to another speech pattern or language from getting too stressed or angry, or is this just a thing that happens in stories?

I'd imagine it's entirely possible if you have to consciously affect your day to day accent.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Solitair posted:

as i get worked up my jersey dialect dials up from "whitebread college boy" to "gandolfini 2: the revenge of gandolfini"

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

Also, the game is super on the nose by having the ruling party that Shido's new one is splitting being called the Liberal Co-Prosperity Party, referencing both the hegemonic Liberal Democratic Party who have ruled Japan for almost the entirety of the post war period (I think they've only been out of power for like 5 years or something like that), and the name of the World War II Japanese Empire, officially the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Or I'm just reading way too much into a translation choice.

Nah, that seems far too cute to be accidental.

One thing I neglected to focus on earlier is the numbers Shido needed to bring down the government. Assuming the current makeup of the House; the government is in majority with 312 seats. The other parties make up the remaining 153.

To pass a vote of no confidence (assuming every opposition member voted for it), Shido needed to convince 80 members of the government's party to cross the floor and vote against their own leadership. That might seem like a routine thing in America, but party unity is a much bigger deal in jurisdictions like Japan, where the executive sits in the parliament.

Looking at some more history, there is form for this - Prime Minister Koizumi advised the Emperor to dissolve the House after losing a vote to privatise the postal service in 2005, with several members of his party crossing the floor.

It's me, I'm the guy theorycrafting the political environment of a parliament presented as a tangential plot in a game about teens fighting with their minds and riding inside a talking cat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Solitair posted:

Yes

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm pretty sure you are, in fact, supposed to be theorycrafting the political atmosphere and seeing this as a huge shakeup to Japanese politics as usual.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Solitair posted:

Short answer, yes. Especially if english is not your first language.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Enunciation has never been my strong point, but with effort I can slow myself down and be clear enough to those I am speaking to but if I start to get worked up and begin speaking fast that all flies out of the window. So yeah, what Chihaya did does seem quite reasonable.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Solitair posted:

Yeah, but not like that; the shift is too abrupt, the syntax changing from one sentence to the next in a way that feels wholly unnatural. Generally speaking, people tend to shift when they aren't concentrating on their speech, when they are emotional or otherwise not paying attention: if Chihaya were actually from Kansai (or wherever she's supposed to be from) I imagine we'd have known before this, either earlier in the conversation when she begins getting flustered, or possibly much before- when she might have betrayed a twang in her vowels, or if she'd say a word that was wrong to her ears and correct it immediately afterwards. That's something real people trying to disguise an accent do all the time, and that's how that quoted screenshot could have been improved- Chihaya concentrating on her words and repeating them again. As it is... its really fake.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Solitair posted:

Oddly enough that kinda happens for me. When I get angry, I start to talk in ebonics a bit. It's nothing major like Chifuya or anything, but I don't consciously use ebonics regularly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's not just an accent, it's code switching.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Some stuff about Anat: she had a bow that was made in her name that was gifted to a kid. When he came to age, she asked to buy it back, but the kid's dad told her to sod off and asked why a woman would need a bow. Considering that she was a war goddess, this was a bad idea. She sent an attendant to retrieve the bow and bloody up the young man, but accidentally kills him instead. This makes the attendant run away and cast the bow into the sea. She's mad, land's cursed, fin.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

There's always one moron, isn't there? Asking the resident war goddess what she needs a bow for is probably in the top ten of idiocy.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

This is the best part, where we slowly max out all our confidants.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah, but not like that; the shift is too abrupt, the syntax changing from one sentence to the next in a way that feels wholly unnatural. Generally speaking, people tend to shift when they aren't concentrating on their speech, when they are emotional or otherwise not paying attention: if Chihaya were actually from Kansai (or wherever she's supposed to be from) I imagine we'd have known before this, either earlier in the conversation when she begins getting flustered, or possibly much before- when she might have betrayed a twang in her vowels, or if she'd say a word that was wrong to her ears and correct it immediately afterwards. That's something real people trying to disguise an accent do all the time, and that's how that quoted screenshot could have been improved- Chihaya concentrating on her words and repeating them again. As it is... its really fake.

The translation is pretty awful for that part. They just did their standard, stilted, obviously-translated-from-Japanese diction, and then went back through and changed all the -ings to in'-s. No English speaker would shout "you've got that strength in yourselves!", let alone "Y'all got that strength in yerselves!" Pretty :effort: if you ask me.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

Anat is a Semitic goddess, the daughter of the highest Ugaritic god El. She is a goddess of hunting and war, as well as fertility. She was also the wife/consort of loving Yahweh.

God drat it. Even in Persona, YHVH!

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
So, is it just me, or does this game have the same opening as Sly 3?

Starts with a big endgame heist with the whole crew together, something goes horribly wrong, extended flashback to how we got there including putting the crew together.

But does that make Carmelita Akechi or Sae?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Getting pretty suspicious of how long it's taking you to do the next Palace, hmmmmmmmmmmm

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Illuyankas posted:

Getting pretty suspicious of how long it's taking you to do the next Palace, hmmmmmmmmmmm

If this game is like Persona 4, taking care of that Palace is gonna skip all of the remaining game-time to go into whatever denouement this game has, so breaking an entire game's worth of strategy and saving the Palace for the last possible moment is necessary to have all of the game-time available.

Granted, modern Personas get more and more lenient with max-ranking runs time-wise as you go, so I'd assume there isn't a demand to use every single day and don't you dare let a single one go to waste.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 141: 11/12-11/13: You Come At The King

Anon: 30 million yen OMG XD
Anon: this site pisses me off
--- DELETED BY ADMIN ---
--- DELETED BY ADMIN ---

Music: Suspicion

It’s already the 12th. We have about a week until the investigation. Can we make it so we can send the calling card? Let’s go to the Palace today!

We’ll go when I feel like it! Get off my case, mom!

I’m sure you have a plan. You’re you, after all. I don’t want to be arrested for a false accusation. I want to find the real culprit after all. Let me know when you decide to go. I’ll be waiting to hear from you.

Music: So Boring

No.

Have you ever heard a recording of your own voice? Were you surprised? That’s because when you hear your voice normally, you hear it through your bones. The voice you hear in a recording that makes you feel uncomfortable is unmistakably your own voice. Now then, Hamiru-kun. Has hearing someone’s voice over the phone ever felt strange to you? Do you know why hearing someone’s voice over the phone sounds different than their real voice?

I’m impressed. That’s correct. It’s practically not even their voice anymore. To transmit data, cell phones use a certain way of encoding your voice into digital information. And when your phone has to use that data to reassemble a voice, it can only do so much.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Oh? You think you’d be able to tell if you were hearing a computer talking? As long as the tone and intonation match, the listener’s brain fills in any other differences. Most of our communication is based on assumptions.
Yeah, my voice just sounds like meows to people who don’t know me. Geez… Assumptions are dangerous.

That’s not quite the same thing, Morgana.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

The ruling party disbanded, so our country and economy’s doomed! But I can stop all that. I hope.

Come on, buddy! Don’t be like that. I’m just looking out for your future… ...Psh. Kid’s not buying it. I guess you’d have to be a real idiot to fall for that line.

Nooo! I don’t want my brains scrambled! Daddy! Daddy, help meeeeeee! Heh, playing Phantom Thieves at a time like this? They’re cowards who ran from the police. All I do is save money from idiots who’d waste it. Society ought to be grateful to me!

Ohya’s ready after only one try, awesome.

There’s something I wanna talk to you about while we’re at it.

Hamiru-san, you’ve improved so much compared to when you first started. OK, let’s play.

Shinya Rank 10

Music: What’s Going On?

Actually, yeah I did! *chuckle* Have you noticed that my playing style has changed? I feel calmer when I’m under pressure now. I wonder if it’s because I’m not so obsessed with winning anymore…

Good for you, man.

Hey… I invited some people here today. They should be arriving any minute now…

Oh hey, those kids you terrorized. Good times.

Music: Sunset Bridge

I finally realized that I was being selfish… Please forgive me. I’ll understand if you guys don’t, but… ...I promise I’ll pay back the money as soon as I save up enough.
(to Quiet-looking Boy) ...Well, what do you wanna do?
……
That’s all I wanted to say… Thanks for coming.

Wait! I’m not very good at Gun About… Will you teach me how to get better?
Huh? Then…

Hey, it’s the pro gamer…!
It’s been a while, hasn’t it, kid? You want to play a game? I haven’t faced any worthy opponents lately.

Shinya looks over to Quiet-looking Boy, who nods.

...I’ve gotten better since we last played, you know. Now I can stay calm during a battle. I’m gonna blast right through that pitch black armor of yours.
...So then, you believe the rumor that’s being told about me, eh? Well, a full display of my skills should put an end to that lie.

...Take that. Don’t aim for the body… ...And that!
...Tch! This is BS!
Whoa, the champ can’t even get off a shot!
Takekuma’s about to lose! The king’s going to win!

Stop using that armor and start playing fair and square. It’s unacceptable to break the rules just to win, whether you’re an adult or a child. And if you don’t stop, I’ll tell everyone.
...No, I won’t admit defeat! I just can’t! It’ll be the end of everything!

The video’s worth it just for this one line, because Takekuma sounds exceptionally whiny here.

No it won’t. Your life will go on, even after you lose. But if you don’t change now, then it might really be the end for you. And then no one will be able to help you. I don’t want you to go through that.

...Is that a threat?

…… Well said… for a kid… I’m not going to enter the tournament. See ya.

The King’s the new champ!
No… I’m not. I haven’t won the tournament yet. Besides, it’s thanks to you guys… that I was able to get stronger.

...I’m so happy right now.

I’ve always thought that winning was the coolest thing. But being nice is pretty cool too… Losing wasn’t the end. It was just a new beginning. Through all the pain, and with your help… I was able to change.
*nods*
Now it’s my turn to help others. My mom, my friends… even people I don’t know. I wonder… Will that help me become a member of the Phantom Thieves?

D’oh, guess there was no point in trying to keep up the charade.

Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone. …… Well, this is the last time we’ll play together. There’s nothing left to teach you, and the Phantom Thieves seem to be having a rough time… Thank you… for hanging out with a lonely kid like myself. I’ll continue to do my best. OK, put out your hand.

Music: The Spirit

Despite the plain description here, from cursory forum searching I have discovered Oda Special actually seems to do three things. The first is exactly what this text implies, that all of your handgun bullets (so no Gun Skills, sadly) now have the classic SMT skill Pierce applied to them, so they’re no longer subject to enemy resistances and will deal full damage no matter what. Drain/Repel/Null/Resist Gun are no longer a problem. This is only mildly useful, but apparently this skill also prevents Joker’s gun attacks from missing, too. Still, not worth all that much. Warning Shot is still Shinya’s best skill by a mile. However, when I did research on this skill for this update, I found multiple sources online stating that Oda Special also ridiculously ups Joker’s critical chance with guns, to something like eighty percent. What the gently caress. So I checked up and sure enough, I’m getting lotsocrits, but in practice the rate is more like fifty percent or so. Still, abso-loving-lutely incredible.

Anyway, Shinya’s a decent kid. I’m used to Barbara Goodson’s voice for him, but it’s still a little weird.

...You’ve gotten really good! But you’ll still never be able to beat me!

Didn’t you just learn the Important Life Lesson that it doesn’t actually matter?

You won’t lose to anyone else though! *chuckle* I’ll be supporting you, no matter what…!
Interacting with Shinya has made my heart grow… I feel like my Kindness has increased…

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

Later!

Bye, Shinya. Truly it was we who... got smoked.

Music: Beneath the Mask

How will the Feathermen, who are slowly succumbing to avian influenza, get out of this one!? Next episode… “Broken Wings.”

Music: Layer Cake

Well, it’ll make my job easier if the cops have their attention elsewhere, y’know? So, you’re here ‘cause you saw my message, right?

I’m gonna give you hard time [sic] like I promised, OK?

Time for you to do some work around the shop, Mr. Gun Enthusiast.

This thing’s an antique. I’m not gonna sell it to anyone less than a real gun expert.

I heard he got excommunicated from the clan. Apparently his boss found out what happened. Serves him right, huh?

I mean sure, that bastard pissed me off, but I never once wished he’d up and die on me.

Not even when he was going to murder you and your son? And also me?

This whole thing’s been real crazy though. I mean, Tsuda used to be the role model for upholdin’ the code… I guess this is what he meant when he said times’re changin…

Music: Tension

The hell’re you doin…!? You motherfucker! Hey, hold on!

That bastard Masa’s abducted Kaoru!

Masa? Oh right, him. That dude what from the diner.

He drat well better be, or else Masa’s a dead man! God, that piece of poo poo…! He knew about Tsuda’s failure the whole time… I bet he was just waitin’ for a chance like this.

Right. They’re over at Seaside Park. I’ll grab the keys n’ lock up! C’mon, let’s go!

Wait, why am I coming?

Music: Desire

Ahahahahaha, what is Masa doing? “Hey man, I got this knife! I wanna show it to you! Just gonna hold it vaguely in the direction of your son and hopefully that works as a threat! There totally aren’t like eight different ways for him to easily escape this situation! The devs just didn’t want to go to the trouble of doing a more sensible pose? What are you talking about? It’s probably way more complicated than you’re suggesting, shut up!”

Take it easy, Mune-san. All I did was give him a friendly ride home from cram school. Ain’t that right, Kaoru-kun?
Dad… I’m sorry. He said he had some stuff to tell me about you… Then, he…
Kaoru…
Man, ain’t he just a great kid?

And what’re you, Mune-san’s little errand boy? Wait… I remember you. You’re that weirdo from the diner.

gently caress off. I heard you the first time.
...So, what’re you gonna make me do?
Great question. Y’know those modded guns you were gonna give Tsuda? It’d be real nice to get my hands on ‘em. There’s a lieutenant spot open now that Tsuda’s gone, but I still need to prove my worth before I can get it. And you’re gonna help me do just that.
Sorry Masa, but you got some real lovely timin’. We just broke ‘em all down. There’s nothin’ left.
You think that’s gonna dissuade me? ...Y’know, I know everythin’ about Kaoru-kun’s situation.

What…!?

Dad? What does he mean!?
Don’t you remember what I told you in the car, Kaoru-kun? About your dad? About what he thinks of you?
R-Right… I’m just… a burden, aren’t I? That’s it, isn’t it? Tell me, Dad. I can handle the truth!

You’re at (very loose) knifepoint, kid. Can’t we have this conversation some other time? Man, this is some hot fresh melodrama if I’ve ever seen it.

That ain’t true! I’m tryin’ to protect you, Kaoru!
Hey, this family bullshit is real touching n’ all, but we’re s’posed to be negotiatin’ here, remember? Why don’t we start with a delivery date? The sooner the better, in my book.
You bastard…!
Oh, don’t gimme that poo poo. None of this would be happenin’ if you didn’t go n’ take that brat in.
I knew it… Everything really is my fault…
Kaoru…

Hey, what’re you two chattin’ about over there?
Kaoru, listen… There’s somethin’ I [sic] been keepin’ from you for a while now… and you’re prolly not gonna like it. Truth is, your real parents didn’t die in a car crash. You were abandoned by your mother when you were still a baby. That’s why I took you in. Believe it or not… I was actually part of the yakuza back then.

Oh man! I can’t believe you really freakin’ told him, Mune! He’s not lyin’, Kaoru. From what I heard, your mom tried to sell you to us just so she could get her hands on some easy drug money!
Sell me…?
Yup! Then when Mune here wasn’t buyin’, she just dumped you and ran! And that’s how you ended up with a yakuza dad. Pretty crazy, huh!? Ahhh, that’s a relief! I’ve been tryin’ to hold that in all day long. I couldn’t wait to see the look on your face when you found out!
……
Man, this is hilarious. Boo freakin’ hoo, how sad… Ahahaha!
Enough. All of that might be true… but it’s in the past now! I’m not a child anymore, and I’d never let a stupid secret like that get to me!

So what if my mom dumped me!? Or if my dad was part of the yakuza!? We might not be related by blood, but we’re connected by the gecko…! So you know what? I don’t care what you have to say about us! I’m me, and Munehisa Iwai… is my dad!

Aww…

Heh… *chuckle* Attaboy, Kaoru. Listen, Masa… Let’s put an end to this, right here, right now. We can start fresh.
You seriously still don’t get it, do you? Kaoru-kun’s--

Music: Tension

Oh poo poo, Tsuda! Also, he’s not even holding the knife on the same side of his body as you anymore, Kaoru. Just loving run away.

T-Tsuda… I mean, sir!?
Don’t give me that. I know you ratted me out to the boss. You never have been good at keeping your mouth shut.
N-No, it wasn’t me!
Uh-huh. And what do you think you’re doing waving that knife around? Huh!?

Your kid’s got guts, Mune. Like father like son, huh?
Looks like it. So, what now?
Well, I’ll start by making this idiot repay his debts. I haven’t thought much about what comes after. All I really know is… this is where we say goodbye, Mune.
...Take care, brother.
Let’s go.

And now that Masa’s busy digging his own shallow grave, time for a family chat.

Yeah. I was a little afraid… but it’s all better now.
Heh. Honestly, I’m surprised you stayed calm through all that. Guess you’re maturin’ quicker than I even realized…

Y’know, I’ve been so busy makin’ sure he doesn’t end up like me that I forgot to see who he’s actually becomin’. Heh… I can’t believe I’m only just realizin’ this now. Hehe… And it’s all thanks to you, kid. I appreciate it… for real.
It feels like my bond with Iwai is growing even deeper...

Hey, all that excitement made me super hungry… Why don’t we go back to that diner?
*sigh* You seriously eat on a whole ‘nother level… You might even end up taller than me someday. C’mon, let’s head over there.
Let’s go!
The three of us enjoyed a peaceful dinner together...

Huh…? Who could that be at this hour…?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

We have about a week left, so why don’t we take a break?

Because we haven’t done anything yet, Haru.

There’s a thriller that’s out called “Pach-Saw.” What do you think? If you can handle that kind of stuff, that is.

You guys are gonna fuckin’ hate me for this, but uh… tomorrow was actually the date I had decided we would go into the Palace about an in-game week in advance. And even if it wasn’t, we don’t need points with Haru, we’re full up on social stats, and there’s just no good reason to waste a day hanging out when we could be ranking someone up. I’m sorry. But, then, why choose “Decide later”? Well… you’ll see.

Anon: Oh how far they’ve fallen
Anon: lol this place went to poo poo
Anon: Is the admin an accomplice?
Anon: if its not them ill eat poo

I love these messages so much.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Yeah, that’s how much time we got to nab that Treasure.
There’s that, but it’s also how much longer we’ll ge to stay as the Phantom Thieves.
Yeah.
Now that you mention that, it is quite an odd feeling.

That’s not really an answer to my question, but it’s good motivation!
Well I guess all we can do now is do this poo poo like we always do.
Yeah. For Makoto’s sister.
Thank you, everyone.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Now, I said we wouldn’t be able to do Haru’s movie event. But I never said we wouldn’t see it. I felt bad about it, so I saved my game in the attic when I regained control and decided to accept Haru’s invite.

(Also, Haru’s “Maaku-kun? I guess you didn’t want to go?” there is heartbreaking.)

All right, let’s meet in front of the movie theater in Shinjuku!
All right, let’s go see the movie today.

Pach-Saw

Music: Break it Down

Let’s go inside. I’m so excited…

Haru likes scary movies, good to know.

Music: Some weird low humming

Coward voice: Please! No! The elephant! It’s coming this way! AAAAAAAAAAGH
*Elephant noises*
Deep voice: GAME OVER.

I-I-I-I can t-t-totally handle th-this sorta s-s-stuff…!
After watching this scary movie, I feel like I’ve got more Guts than I did before...

Maaku gains Guts +3.

Music: Break it Down

How was it for you? Do you like scary movies?

There’s a brief pause in the video at this point, because I had to put down the controller I was laughing so hard. Haru’s great.

Thanks for hanging out with me today. I had a lot of fun! It’s too scary to watch these alone. And I didn’t have any friends I could ask before, so… I’m really happy that we could watch it together! Ah, it’s time we headed back home.

Now we reload back to the earlier attic save we made in the daytime.

Here’s what we’ve got for you today! 20 cans of Mystery Stew! Customers keep coming back for its, well, mysterious flavor!
It’s perfect for using it as a punishment on someone! Ugh, the smell’s leaking out…!

Despite the weird way it’s being sold, we absolutely loving want this. It’s absurdly cheap for what it does and it’s enough to last the entire rest of the game. Buy it.

But I’m sure we can expect great things from Mr. Shido! Election day can’t come soon enough.
I don’t mind who wins, as long as I can live out the rest of my days in peace and quiet...

Autumn is here, and the leaves have changed color. This season, the cool air feels a bit lonely…
Stuff like feeling lonely doesn’t bother me anymore. I’m single and happy with what I’ve got.

I hate Mommy and Daddy! I wanna be with Kotaro…
Will you stop!? Kotaro is an old dog! You can’t push him like that!
*whine*...
I hope the Phantom Thieves come! I hope they steal Mommy and Daddy’s heart!

This dog girl subplot is really sad.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

It’s been pretty crazy out here. You’ve seen all the stuff about the Phantom Thieves on TV, right? I was thinkin’ I might come home. Nobody takes me seriously. Dunno if I have what it takes to be a star… Huh? What d’ya mean that ain’t rock n’ roll? Why you gettin’ mad about this? I thought long and hard, and…

I think I’ll get into politics. We women should take a more active role in our society!
Wh-What’s with all this? Did you just have a change of heart?
I’m gonna start volunteering at the election office. I bet there’s a lot of hot, energetic men there!
You never learn, do you…

Money boosted!

And now we’re ready to (finally) head into the Palace.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 28, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh man, I'm so glad we're dating Haru. :allears:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sordas Volantyr posted:

If this game is like Persona 4, taking care of that Palace is gonna skip all of the remaining game-time to go into whatever denouement this game has, so breaking an entire game's worth of strategy and saving the Palace for the last possible moment is necessary to have all of the game-time available.

Granted, modern Personas get more and more lenient with max-ranking runs time-wise as you go, so I'd assume there isn't a demand to use every single day and don't you dare let a single one go to waste.

There's no skipping ahead in P5, thankfully. Do the palaces whenever you want.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
To add to this, you do want to give the palace a couple days so that you don't get screwed over by running into a plot barrier.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Oh boy time for some Whims of Fate! And more Sae I guess.

Speaking of Whims of Fate, would it be possible for you to include lyrics for the songs the first time they show up? They tend to be very appropriate but unfortunately kind of hard to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's always funny when people start reading up on the Justice system in Asia and find out that unless you were under British control it's all a shitshow of various shades.

Torturing for a confession, btw, originates with the Chinese judicial system, which then spread outwards. Outside the Sinosphere you have more regular judicial problems in Asia

VanSandman posted:

I want a marxist revolutionary JRPG
I mean, Mother 3 accurately goes through the change from proto-communism to capitalism and how this devastates society?