Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Qrr posted:

Oh boy time for some Whims of Fate! And more Sae I guess.

Speaking of Whims of Fate, would it be possible for you to include lyrics for the songs the first time they show up? They tend to be very appropriate but unfortunately kind of hard to understand.

Uhh, sure, I guess. I can figure out some way to include that, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

someone probably has it transcribed on animelyrics, or uploaded it on youtube with the lyrics in the video, so it could be a matter of linking to either one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Robindaybird posted:

someone probably has it transcribed on animelyrics, or uploaded it on youtube with the lyrics in the video, so it could be a matter of linking to either one.

It's on the wiki but I don't want to link to that for obvious spoiler reasons. I could just polsy link one of the videos, though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, someone on youtube's been making some pretty snazzy lyric videos for P5 songs.

e: actually I should let arist do that probs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Christ, Makoto wanting to be a cop now that I have context on what that entails is real gross. If anything gets improved with the new director, hopefully that doesn't happen anymore at the least.

And, I don't remember 4 that well, wasn't Naoto more self-aware about these things, comparatively?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The issue is that Makoto is naive enough to believe she can make a difference which is not a bad thing.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
As far as I could tell, Naoto doesn't take corruption lightly. Coupled with the police stations that ask for her help telling her to buzz off once the thing's over to foster resentment and I'd imagine she'd be the first to blow the whistle at the first sign of trouble.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

The issue is that Makoto is naive enough to believe she can make a difference which is not a bad thing.

Yeah I think that's why I think the end of her link is pretty fitting. Idealism is kind of Makoto's primary thing. I mean, her metaverse outfit is fuckin' Kamen Rider or some poo poo

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

A Bystander posted:

As far as I could tell, Naoto doesn't take corruption lightly. Coupled with the police stations that ask for her help telling her to buzz off once the thing's over to foster resentment and I'd imagine she'd be the first to blow the whistle at the first sign of trouble.

Yeah, the whole reason she ends up joining the Investigation Team was that she made herself a target to get kidnapped because she didn't believe the real perpetrator of the incidents had been caught when Mitsuo was arrested, but the higher-ups in the Inaba police politely told her to kindly gently caress off so they could just close the book on the case and be done with it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The end to Shinya's link is kind of weird. I thought he'd become friends with those kids, but then the gamer crashes in the scene and ruins the mood. The writers tried to resolve the subplot of Shinya bullying those kids and his beef with that gamer at the same time and ends up with neither having a satisfying resolution.

RareAcumen posted:

Christ, Makoto wanting to be a cop now that I have context on what that entails is real gross. If anything gets improved with the new director, hopefully that doesn't happen anymore at the least.

And, I don't remember 4 that well, wasn't Naoto more self-aware about these things, comparatively?

It's really jarring seeing her so idealistic about it when we're at this point in the story. After Akechi explicitly telling the team that the cops are abusing their power to catch the Phantom Thieves and seeing her sister develop a Palace because of her work, you'd think Makoto would be just a tiny bit disillusioned about wanting to be a cop. At least Tatsuya from P2 had Katsuya as a positive role model, so him showing interest in becoming a detective made sense.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I'm sure the persona police force of Tatsuya, Katusya, Akihiko, Chie, Naoto, and Makoto will turn things around eventually.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Good God do I need a Shadow Operatives game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Gruckles posted:

I'm sure the persona police force of Tatsuya, Katusya, Akihiko, Chie, Naoto, and Makoto will turn things around eventually.

Have we ever had a movie about an entire precinct of loose cannons?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think there’s also the implication that Makoto still wants to make her father proud by becoming a great policewoman. She’s aware of the corruption in the system surely but wants to be what a police officer should be instead of what they currently are?

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Have we ever had a movie about an entire precinct of loose cannons?

To a degree, The Last Action Hero.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

You're right, things are bad now so that means nobody should ever try to change it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The fact that she wants to be the Commissioner and not just a Detective or whatever implies to me that her dream is to change the system, not just to join it. You might call that naive, but I don't think she's ignoring the problems that we've seen.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 30, 2018

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Clarste posted:

The fact that she wants to be the Commissioner and not just a Detective or whatever implies to me that her dream is to change the system, not just to join it. You might call that naive, but I don't think she's ignoring the problems that we've seen.

Now that you mention this, the whole 'collapse of the government' angle would be way more believable if instead of a PE teacher, an artist, a mafia guy and a CEO the Phantom Thieves has targeted actual corrupt public officials like cops, prosecutors, and even the former Prime Minister. Might not play well in Japan though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Now that you mention this, the whole 'collapse of the government' angle would be way more believable if instead of a PE teacher, an artist, a mafia guy and a CEO the Phantom Thieves has targeted actual corrupt public officials like cops, prosecutors, and even the former Prime Minister. Might not play well in Japan though.

Hey, cut us some slack, we're trying.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Clarste posted:

Hey, cut us some slack, we're trying.

This one barely counts. On a scale of one to 'beating a confession out of someone with a phone book', Sae is maybe a two, and only because she didn't seem that phased to find out poor old Maaku got drugged during the prologue. Game needs a Phoenix Wright-tier shithead prosecutor.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

amigolupus posted:

The end to Shinya's link is kind of weird. I thought he'd become friends with those kids, but then the gamer crashes in the scene and ruins the mood. The writers tried to resolve the subplot of Shinya bullying those kids and his beef with that gamer at the same time and ends up with neither having a satisfying resolution.

I dunno, I think it works. I admit, having Takekuma show up then and there to grant Shinya validation to his personal growth is rushed and on the nose, but that's the way this series is, generally speaking: emotional growth translated into prosperity, as melodramas are wont to do. Actually, I think Shinya's link is probably my favorite Tower link in the series thus far, in terms of the themes presented by the card- that is, destruction of the false foundations that is painful, but necessary for growth.

The Tower is an interesting card in the Tarot; it's one of the cards that has a very clear theme that can be expressed in a sentence- "Pride goeth before a fall." Its illustration, of a tower on fire being struck by lightning and a falling person with the head going first, is evocative of the fall of Lucifer or the destruction of the Tower of Babel (you will note that the text on the actual card literally read "House of God" when translated); more than the Devil or the Tower, it's seen as the one true "Oh poo poo" card in the deck because the upheaval it describes is meant to be taken at face value as actually coming. It's necessary upheaval though, meant to wipe away false foundations built on destructive elements like anger, fear, grief, or good old pride, and to bring you understanding of where you went wrong in life, but in order to bring about that understanding, something is breaking, something is ending, something is leaving your life and never coming back. Shinya's loss to Takekuma and his subsequent efforts to get back on top, which included him bullying some kids, led to the acknowledgement that he was turning into the same kind of bully that his mom was becoming, and of his own volition he apologized and tried to become better (even if you don't actually get to that part unless you complete the social link, but that's video games for you)... I don't know, that's low key, but I still find it impressive, in its way. Perhaps because I've known much older people who stumble when confronted with the "I'm not a bad guy, I'm not a bad guy.... Am I a bad guy?" question and struggle with justifying it a little longer than Shinya does, who more or less concludes "yes" almost immediately, even if it took him a little longer to address it. It all seems like a better incorporation of the themes of the card than the first iteration in P3, which suffered from the same problem all of the SLs did in that the Protag is too passive and is just kinda "there" for all of the themes to happen at him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It's possible Takekuma showed up to dunk on Shinya again when he learnt Shinya hadn't given up like he tried to make him, either out of jealousy or fear for what Shinya will do to his own livelihood. But that becomes weird due to how confidants have no set time period.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think it's impossible for Makoto to make a difference, she's just hopelessly naive and also it's funny to make fun of her for being a cop.

Also "update" incoming.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 141.5: 11/13: Side Note: Seasons Don’t Fear The Reaper

Music: Tokyo Emergency

...Juuuuuust kidding! We’re not going into the Palace just yet. We’ll reload a save and do that next update. First, though, there’s something I really need to show off.

Music: Mementos

Yeah, there’s been an outbreak… I’m sure lots of people are suffering through it.
I see… Those feelings might have an effect on Mementos…
What’s this flu gonna do to it?
It might have something to do with people’s negative emotions…
Uh… what’s that even mean…?
I’m not entirely sure. This is a first for me too, so let’s go find out with our own eyes.

Hmm, whatever could the effect of Flu Season be? Well...

Music: Last Surprise

...It’s despair. Remember despair? The ailment that makes you totally unable to act, drains your SP, and kills you after three turns? That seems a little overpowered, doesn’t it? Well, just you wait!

See, Mementos weather effects apply to any fight in the main halls (so the boss areas are unaffected), not counting ones where you get ambushed for some reason. Any fight. If you remember back to the very early updates where we went to Mementos and got a certain warning, you might already know where I’m going with this.

Music: Mementos

We’re going to hang out on the early floors so no Shadows bug us and just sit in a dead end waiting. For what, you ask? Why, we’re waiting for it to spawn.

Five minutes or so later…

The rattling of chains can be heard…

There he is… off in the distance.

The Reaper!

Music: Last Surprise

After one failed attempt where he killed me, I decide to let him ambush me because he doesn’t get two turns at the start when he does that. Unfortunately, he can’t get the despair effect when this happens, so no dice. I eventually just hit him again and it works. And boy, does it work.

One thing I should point out is that I was wrong once again: Anat can transform, just not in a cool way. The animation of Johanna rolling up pre-skill use still happens, but Makoto doesn’t hop on, it just transforms into Anat at the very end. Lame.

This fight honestly isn’t worth not cheesing, for the simple reason that The Reaper takes almost no damage from anything. Almighty does slightly more (Akechi’s Megidola does about 3 times this), but still not enough to make even a dent.

The Reaper has an absurd amount of SP for the record.

And we beat it. :toot: That was easy guys, I don’t know what the big fuss was about.

We get 72 thousand experience for… that. Whatever, I’ll take it, but it sucks that I have to reload and lose it all.

Only 3500 yen!? What!?

And that was enough for our entire party to level up about nine times. Cool. We probably won’t end up doing that again without reloading, but it’s a neat trick that the game seems to all but encourage you exploit. For this LP, I’m fine with doing things the intended way… mostly.

Anyway… next time, we’ll actually finally enter the Palace. I mean it this time.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 25, 2019

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just to add to this, when fighting the reaper there is a chance for it to drop a Divine Pillar Accessory which reduces all damage by half but also makes it so that the character using it can't dodge.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well, that was a cool thing. That's a lot more than I was expecting from the battle system here.

Anyway, since someone already did one for Mishima here's one I found for Chihaya.

It's certainly not the most inspired outfit but I think it's still pretty good.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I never even encountered the reaper on my playthrough.
drat my strict schedule!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I’m kind of confused as to why the reaper is in the game. It won’t ever show up in a normal play of the game, you’ll finish floors in mementos too quickly for that. And I can’t imagine how hard it is to beat normally - those damage numbers are pathetic. I guess it could be an optional superboss but frankly boss fights in this game aren’t super interesting mechanically (because they take the basic premise of the combat system and throw it out, and this guy probably doesn’t get a gimmick like the real bosses so far), and you’d expect there to be a reward besides “lots of xp” in that case.

And then they put in a mechanic where it just dies. Speaking of which status effects are kind of weird too. It’s odd to see a move that inflict some despair with the same cost and targeting as a move that inflicts, say, enrage. One of them instakills the enemy while the other makes it hit me harder, so why would I ever want the second one?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The second one locks shadows out of non physical skills. Which depending on enemy might just stop them doing anything at all. Also enrage has a much higher chance of working.

The reaper is an optional ng+ superboss and exists because like Jack Frost they are a part of Persona Game identity at this point. Also he can be hit with all the status effects from weather, and whilst flu season despair gives a poo poo ton of exp you can also get him confused when that weather is active, which does make a truly ludicrous amount of yen.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

The second one locks shadows out of non physical skills. Which depending on enemy might just stop them doing anything at all. Also enrage has a much higher chance of working.

Despair also locks shadows out of non-physical skills. And physical skills. And being alive.

The much higher chance of working seems more relevant. I didn't see anything about that ingame and it didn't really feel like different debuffs had different chances of hitting ("medium confuse" sure succeeded a lot), but I did tend to ditch the enrage skills pretty quickly. For a game with so very many numbers going on it does like to hide a bunch of them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 142: 11/13: Hamill’s Nine

Okay, so, let me get this straight: you knew that you were getting arrested if you failed to change my heart?
Yep.
But instead of doing something about it, you hosed around with your friends for two weeks and put it off until the last minute?
I don’t see the issue here.
*sigh*

Music: Tokyo Emergency

We’re doing it right now, idiot!

Music: The Whims of Fate

Someone requested the lyrics so here’s a video with them. They get stuck in my head a lot, it’s great.

Music: Aria of the Soul

We’re just here to free up a slot, so we fuse Queen Mab from Kikuri-Hime and Lachesis.

You who holds my mask shall soon understand the true might of the fairy queen...

Queen Mab, also known as Medb or Meive, is the fairy queen in Celtic myth. She was immortalized in Mercutio’s monologue in Romeo and Juliet.

Now, time to enter the Palace.

And for that, we will need to have a member’s card.
Where’re we gonna get one though? There’s not too many places we can go right now.
Hm… I doubt we will find one simply lying on the ground in the main hall. I suggest we head for the backroom.
Huh…? But why?
I will explain later. In any case, let’s try to find an entrance.

These Unicorns use Physical Strikes and are weak to Curse.

Oses also use Physical along with charging up and inflicting Rage. They’re weak to Bless.

Yusuke learns Deadly Fury, an upgrade to Rising Slash that keeps the Baton Pass strength boost and ups its attack power from Heavy to Severe. I apologize for saying Ryuji is straight-up better than Yusuke, which isn’t exactly true even yet; Yusuke does have higher base Strength, and learns his Physical skills a bit sooner. His support skills are just marginally less useful.

Then let us check around. We may find something useful.
Like… what?
Mwehehe… I get it… You mean some kinda customer data terminal.
Haha, I am glad you’re so quick to understand. Though even if I were to find such a terminal, there is nothing my meager skills could do about it…
That’s where I come in. Leave it all to me!

These are Powers. They’re weak to Curse and use Physical and Bless skills.

Makoto learns Marakukaja to replace Rakukaja.

These Kikuri-Himes have no attack skills whatsoever, preferring to use Makarakarn to repel our magic at us, as well as heal themselves. They’re weak to Fire.

This is a Valkyrie. It’s not weak to anything. It has Physical attacks and Dodge Phys as well as Counterstrike, so Physical attacks aren’t recommended.

We eventually come to a safe room.

That thing really don’t want anyone gettin’ past there, huh… You wanna try attackin’ it?
Or we could always find another route. We may be able to sneak around it and avoid fighting. What do you want to do, Joker? We’ll follow whatever you decide.

That you suggest there’s an alternate path means there absolutely is one, so I’ll go with that.

Understood. In that case, let us find another way in.

Back near the safe room, we can climb up some boxes to find an alternate route through—what else?—a vent.

Now, we’re on the other side of the door the Shadow was standing in front of, and we could just leave… but nah. Let’s fight it anyway.

You can do it. I’ll do my best to support you guys too!

And we get a free ambush out of it.

These girls are weak to Wind and can use strong Electricity and Fire spells, along with Concentrate to up their power. Not that they get a chance to do much of that.

Hey, it dropped something… Is this some kinda keycard?
It might help us open stuff up further in. We should probably hold onto it for now.
Then let us be grateful for its existence and proceed onward.

A bit further in, we come across more guards in front of a different room.

Talk about bein’ heavily guarded. They’re practically screamin’ at us ‘bout how there’s something important in there.
It would be foolish to overlook this, though perhaps even more foolish to meet them head on… What is your call, Joker?

Right next to that corner is a barred door.

There’s an authentication device next t oit though. Let’s try using the keycard from earlier.

Great. Now we’ll be able to get through here, Joker.

The room contains nothing but another vent.

But the vent leads into the guarded room, meaning we intentionally went back and did a skippable fight in order to skip a different, harder fight. Though it turns out that if we decided to just do this fight anyway, the door was locked, so we couldn't do that either. :v:

OK then, let’s hurry up and take that guard down!

Very well then. We shall defeat it at once!

And we score another ambush.

And the great thing about getting an ambush is...

Motherfucking BULLET HAIL can trigger! The rest of this fight is pretty simple, though he resists Physical and Dodges Electric attacks so Ryuji’s not that useful. He mainly just tries to crit us with Miracle Punch.

Ah, aren’t those what we are looking for? Oh… There are no names on them. They’ll be unusable if they remain unregistered.
Mweheheh! I can handle that!

I wasn’t sure what name to give it, so I just thought of a random one: Taro Tanaka.
That’s way too simple! Aren’t they gonna figure that out?

“Taro Tanaka,” for the most of you who aren’t going to get that, is the Japanese equivalent of “John Doe.” I only understood it because I vaguely remember the name used as an alias from Durarara!.

Um, they already know what we look like, and that we’ve intruded into the Palace… …Then again, it’s prolly better to be safe than sorry.

Joker, you can hold on to this card and the map. Don’t lose ‘em, ‘kay? As for the Taro Tanaka card… Hmmm… Crow, get rid of it next time you see a garbage can.

Hm…? Why me?
These kinds of chores always fall to the newbie.
...Oh.

We can also use that elevator now, right?
According to the map, it would be quicker to use this path than to go back the way we came. Come, let’s hurry on.

Everyone nods.

Stop fooling around and throw out the drat card, Akechi!

Valkyrie is strong against Gun, so firing at her gives us a chance to see Oda Special in action. Yep, that sure is 8 damage.

Anyway, we eventually wrap around to the earlier area with the chandeliers we hop across, but before we go to the elevator, we’re going to go back to the Velvet Room.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Power and Legion make Ananta.

The power of creation that has awakened inside of you shall henceforth be within your mask.

Ananta, or “Shesha,” is the king of all nagas in Hindu mythology and one of the primal beings of creation, depicted with as many as one thousand heads. Vishnu rested upon Shesha, and upon waking up created the universe. At the end of each Kalpa (time period allotted to the earth) the serpent destroys all of creation.

Next up, Daisoujou from Mithras and Queen Mab.

You with the body immune to rot... Let us welcome the impending day of salvation together as one...

Daisoujou is… fuckin’ weird and creepy, and I’m just going to post the wiki’s description along with the game’s here, holy poo poo:

P5’s description:

“A monk who died while fasting, his spiritual power allows his body to continue to exist without rotting. It is said that he will appear before people on the day of salvation.”

That’s not so bad, right? I mean, except for being wrong, because that’s clearly not a preserved corpse but a loving skullman, but whatever. Well…

The wiki’s description:

“Based on the Buddhist mummies, Sokushinbutsu. These monks performed self-mummification by starving themselves for about three years. At the end of these three years, they were entombed alive with just enough room to sit cross-legged. A tube was placed in the ground, leading to the tomb for air. The monk had a bell with him and every day, someone would listen for the bell to make sure the monk was still alive. When the bell no longer rang, the air tube was removed and the tomb was completely sealed. A thousand days later, the body would be exhumed. If it was preserved, it was revered as a god.”

loving hell!

You may also have noticed the skill Samsara. That’s a unique skill to Daisoujou that cannot be passed on from fusion. It has a high chance to instant-kill every enemy on the field. It’s pretty great.

Finally, we’re going to fulfill the request for a Bugs with Samarecarm. Bugs is an Advanced Fusion from Pixie, Pisaca, and Hariti. Hariti naturally learns Samarecarm, so we just need to make sure Bugs gets it.

You the badass with the mask? C’mon dude, let’s play!

Bugs, or the Bugbear, is the literal Boogeyman. It’s used by mothers to frighten their children into behaving.

I see you have brought us a Bugs with the skill Samarecarm
Hmph. You make it seem easy. Well, the assignment is done...

So, uh… me and Justine had a little talk. I dunno how to put this… but we don’t know each other too well, even though we’re so close.
We have also come to realize that each of us complements the faults of the other quite nicely…
I don’t think I’ve ever had a deep convo like that with anyone before. Oh, and it made me remember something super important. I bet you wanna hear what that was. Isn’t that right, Inmate!?

The thing that I remembered… is something someone once told me. You explain it, Justine.
Essentially, the twenty-two arcana represent a journey… The Fool embarks on a pilgrimage through the numbers, overcoming Death and eventually obtaining the World. In short, this journey is the tale of one’s path through life.
So we realized something. If this wild card thing—the potential of the Fool—proves that you’re a traveler…
Then your becoming stronger will lead us all in the right direction. That may be the true meaning of rehabilitation. Or perhaps it is something beyond even that… Regardless, one thing we can be sure of is that this list was written with the intent of being completed.
Understanding and having faith in that intent is the change this list has brought about in us.

Not that somebody like you would be able to comprehend that. But for us… it was something really important to learn. Oh, and… I think we might know who that voice in my head was too. I can’t tell you right now though.

First of all, we don’t have any way to actually prove it.
Secondly… if it is indeed true, everything we have come to know would be thrown into question. Regardless, we have grown able to reflect on ourselves thanks to you. This may not be something I should be saying to you… but I have quite enjoyed out time spent together.
You hear that, Inmate!? You’d better overcome this ruin stuff! Keep surviving, all the way until we learn the truth… together!
We vow to do everything in our power to assist you… For the sake of your future, and our own.
I feel like my bond with Caroline and Justine is growing deeper...

Don’t expect us to play nice just ‘cause we believe in you though! We’re gonna be as strict as ever!
Now then, it is time I assign you the final task before you receive your immensely powerful reward.

Please bring us a Seth with High Counter. Speak to us again once you have obtained it.

Joker scans the card.

Authentication complete. You can now access the following floors: The Standard Floor/The Members Floor.
It didn’t say nothing about the one for the manager…
Well, the floors we have access to are limited by player ranking. That must mean the members floor is the highest we can go for now.
It’s impossible to mess with the data on the card too. It’s nothing like the ones I’ve seen before.
So we can’t go directly to the manager’s floor… In that case, what exactly should we do?
Our first move should be to head upward. Either way, we have no more business on this floor.
Please select your desired floor.

Music: Desire

You wanna just get this over with right now, huh? That makes this easy. Bring it on.
Do not speak to me as though you are my equal. I am the manager of this casino, as well as its number-one player. At the moment, you lack the qualifications to fight me.
It would seem she looks down on us.

Got any more stunning insight to share with us, Councilor Troi?

And what if we would like to battle you, no matter what?

Uh, we’re not actually here to fight her, guys. We’re supposed to at least pretend the boss fight isn’t mandatory.

I had to win time and time again in order to reach my number-one rank. If you want to face me, you must continue to win as well.

Continue to win…?
It must have to do with the fact that this place is a casino.
Correct. Do you have the confidence to win…?
We might just pull the rug out from underneath you if you aren’t careful.
I don’t expect much from you… but I’ll be waiting.

Shadow Sae snaps her fingers.

Music: Suspicion

It’s going up…
I wasn’t expecting to come all the way to a Palace only to end up gambling…

What about you guys?

The group looks around at each other.

Looks like this is going to take longer than expected.
We don’t got time to waste!

Sorry, my bad.

No need to worry. Leave this to me.
You know how to do this?
I’m well-informed on what it takes to win. In any case, we need to hurry and change her heart. If she acts recklessly, both her chances of promotion and reputation as a prosecutor will drop greatly. Sae-san didn’t use to be like this, did she?
My sister must have lost her sense of justice because her desires became distorted…
Do you think there was a particular event that triggered her Palace’s creation?
...I believe it’s related to my father’s death. My sister took on all the responsibilities of dealing with it herself. Trying to earn a living wage, gain a promotion in a male society, and uphold justice at the same time… Those things may have weighed her down and led to the distortion within her heart.
...My apologies, but we don’t have time to be sentimental. The longer we wait, the more people will learn about us. The investigation will advance as well. Hence, we must infiltrate this Palace as quickly as possible.
She did challenge us to reach her, after all. Niijima’s Treasure must be at her managerial base of operations. Either way, we have to get there!

Everyone nods.

Well, we’ll see what else this Palace has in store next time. But that doesn’t mean we’re done here for today! Now that Akechi’s joined our party, we can do something I’ve been anticipating for a while!

See, for 60 real US dollars, you can buy a pack of all the DLC costumes off the PlayStation Network! And I’m an idiot, so of course I decided to buy it for the sake of showing it off in this LP!

There’s another 12 of these popups.

By going to the “Outfits” section of the Equipment menu, we can put on outfits that change our appearance. This does nothing to affect our stats, but that doesn’t mean nothing changes. We’ll go into what that means in a later episode!

Now, without further ado, it’s time for the…

Yes, I’m putting on something of a fashion show here! We’ll be covering the basic set of costumes in today’s appearance. Hope you like awkward camera angles and poo poo-rear end JPG compression, because those are the real stars tonight!

Why, it’s the incredibly stylish Phantom Thieves! Well… mostly stylish. Poor Akechi here probably thinks he looks cool as hell, while I’m just thinking “I hope he doesn’t rip his band uniform.” He also breaks the male trend of cool, impractically large collars. Gotta say I don’t understand Makoto’s antipathy for her outfit, it’s dope and the cape (not visible here, sadly) rules. Haru’s might be my favorite, though, especially with the ammo belt. Why does Ann’s costume have a boob window? Yusuke’s weird tail always makes me laugh, by the way. I’m also less sure how much I like the pirate look for Ryuji the more I see it.

This is also Morgana’s only costume for today’s show, but look forward to his appearance changing in future installments.

Maaku goes for the standard look, but pulls it off. There have been many jokes made in the past about how Ryuji’s shirt here says “HOMO RULES” instead of “NO MO,” and I can only say I approve. Gotta wonder how Haru manages to have a totally unique uniform for both seasons without the faculty complaining, but she pulls it off. Makoto also manages to make a fairly standard uniform her own. Akechi loses points for his tie clipping into his shirt, sadly. All I can say about Yusuke is that Kosei’s purple shirt for the summer uniform is cool as hell.

Maaku is the only person in the game who looks good in the Shujin turtleneck, which unfortunately kind of includes Makoto. She makes up for it though with her… vest? Whatever the hell that is, it’s nice. I like how Ryuji just lets the suspenders hang out of his pants. Ann’s hoodie is dope and if I was a girl I would buy one. Maybe I will anyway. Haru’s sweater is goddamn adorable and I will not hear otherwise. Are the gloves a standard part of the uniform of whatever school Akechi goes to? The fleur-de-lis on Yusuke’s shirt is pretty cool I guess.

Maaku, rocking that watch, nice. Ryuji’s shirt seems to say “ON U R MARK” instead of “UR,” but okay. I like the sunglasses clipped onto Ann’s shirt there, and the shirt wrapped around her shorts. Haru’s unfortunately looking rather plain. Futaba’s got a cool shirt, but the person playing Tetris on it really needs to step up their game. Really like Makoto’s blouse here. That shirt is not doing you any favors, Yusuke buddy.

Like the v-neck, Maaku. Not liking Ryuji’s hoodie so much, it’s a little gaudy, though that’s just him I guess. Ann’s wearing like a letterman jacket or something, which is an odd fit for her. Please cover up, Futaba, and I don’t just mean that because you’re probably really cold not wearing your jacket on your actual shoulders. Haru and Makoto both look nice in their coats. Akechi’s sweater-vest just cements his dork status, though. Nice jacket, Yusuke.

Now we get to the awkward part of this where I review a bunch of teenagers’ swimsuits… yeah, pass. I only included this in the first place because we haven’t seen Haru’s yet. Though Yusuke’s hoodie is real silly and I appreciate it.

Really like both of these outfits, but what in the goddamn hell is “JL MK !”?

That's all for today’s installment of The Phantastic Phantom Phashion Phrenzy, please join us again next time, where this is going to get a little weirder!

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 29, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

Akechi loses points for his tie clipping into his shirt, sadly.

it's a clip-on :haw:

Does Morgana not get any different outfits?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 1, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Morgana gets all the best outfits.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really Pants posted:

it's a clip-on :haw:

Does Morgana not get any different outfits?

Morgana gets a bunch of different outfits.... in the DLC pack. Swimsuits is in that pack, but the rest of the ones I showed today you don't actually need to buy, and none of the ones that are just a costume the characters normally wear include him. We'll get to the outfit sets that do include him next time.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Arist posted:

Queen Mab, also known as Medb or Meive, is the fairy queen in Celtic myth. She was immortalized in Mercutio’s monologue in Romeo and Juliet.
I always get Queen Mab the fairy confused with Queen Medb, the warrior queen who is the antagonist of Cu Chulainn, the Irish warrior of legend, in the Tain Bo of the Ulster Cycle of Irish mythology. Then again, one is a very dangerous fairy queen and the other is somewhat affectionately deprecatingly known as the Thot Queen amongst the Fate fandom, as she basically caused the America Singularity in Fate Grand/Order because she made a wish on the Holy Grail for Cu dick, and it turned him into Cu Alter. The latter is probably named after the former, come to think of it.

Arist posted:

Really like both of these outfits, but what in the goddamn hell is “JL MK !”?
Knowing Futaba, some kind of Japanese net slang or meme on 2channel or a similar site.

Also, regarding the costume packs, I'm disappointed the Yakuza costumes from Dancing Star Night aren't available here in P5. Those would've been awesome.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Arist posted:

Gotta wonder how Haru manages to have a totally unique uniform for both seasons without the faculty complaining, but she pulls it off.

I suspect it has something to do with a combination of having a kindly disposition and being filthy stinking rich.

Also, I'm pretty sure that most of the faculty really doesn't give a poo poo about how the students dress, as long as they're wearing the basic uniform. I think the most we've seen in the way of teachers complaining about students not adhering to the dress code was Kawakami being upset that Ryuji keeps dying his hair blonde.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Maaku and Makoto definitely win the fashion contest, on account of just looking normal and understated instead of... whatever Akechi is doing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

W.T. Fits posted:

I suspect it has something to do with a combination of having a kindly disposition and being filthy stinking rich.

Also, I'm pretty sure that most of the faculty really doesn't give a poo poo about how the students dress, as long as they're wearing the basic uniform. I think the most we've seen in the way of teachers complaining about students not adhering to the dress code was Kawakami being upset that Ryuji keeps dying his hair blonde.

Yeah, this. Haru just seems like she's wearing a blouse/sweater over the normal uniform, like Chie's jacket and Yukiko's sweater in P4, and Ann's hoodie and Ryuji's t-shirts here. Being filthy stinking rich def helps too.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

JLMK is Just Let Me Know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
God, I just want to give Akechi a swirlie so bad.