Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 148.5: Side Note: Double Or Nothing

We’re not quite done yet here. There’s a few minor beats with this fight that I feel the need to show off.

First, we need to remove everyone from our party.

Then, we can enter the fight alone.

Have someone snipe the pocket when that glass lid appears! You’re in charge of choosing who’s gonna be the sniper!

Uh, that’s kinda gonna be a problem, Futaba! There’s no one else here!

So, what do we do? Well, we do all we can. We loving wait. We wait a long-rear end time. 10 (!) total cycles of the roulette, in fact.

L-Luck, my rear end! You’re probably cheating! How else would we keep losing like this!?
…! Why would I cheat…?
There’s no way you’re not, you liar! It’s totally obvious! You’re only up against me and Joker, you know! You’re supposed to be an adult! You should be ashamed! More importantly, are you so weak that you have to cheat to win? And you call yourself a Palace ruler? You’re just a wimp! You should totally be ashamed!
You only dare talk like that because you can’t beat me…
Shut it! To begin with--

And just like that, she transforms just from Futaba chewing her out. Way to go! Now we can get thrashed near-instantly because we’re alone and our HP and SP are in the dumpster from the repeated roulette spins!

I assume the reason this happens is that the devs didn't want the game to ever be straight-up unwinnable, even if you were doing weird garbage like removing everyone from your party. This is also probably the reason most of the boss actions are so lame.

The other thing I wanted to show off is dumb and really only funny to me, but whatever:

Haru gonna snipe with a grenade launcher. And it works. Haru is the greatest sniper of all time.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Haru is a proud graduate of the Forest Speyer Academy of Marksmanship.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
It’s still an unnoticed kill of there’s no one left

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

Haru gonna snipe with a grenade launcher.

Still makes more sense than Akechi.

He has a laser. You know, the thing that shoots things that are known for going through glass without affecting it? Which is in fact what glass is famous for?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The glass shatters because Akechi is in the reflection, and he's just that drat ugly.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Miz Kriss posted:

It’s still an unnoticed kill of there’s no one left

So the Metal Gear Solid School of Stealth?

ApeHawk posted:

The glass shatters because Akechi is in the reflection, and he's just that drat ugly.

:emptyquote:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Interestingly, Futaba's voice actress says "S-shut up!" instead of "Luck, my rear end!" when she calls Sae out on her cheating.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Futaba just flames Sae until she transforms. :allears:

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Futaba just flames Sae until she transforms. :allears:

That's our Medjed!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Stroth posted:

He has a laser. You know, the thing that shoots things that are known for going through glass without affecting it? Which is in fact what glass is famous for?

He has a fantasy laser, which is well-known for acting exactly like a bullet but with added 'pew pew' noises.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Stroth posted:

He has a sonic screwdriver because he’s that much of a loving dork

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ApeHawk posted:

:drat:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Arist posted:

Haru gonna snipe with a grenade launcher. And it works. Haru is the greatest sniper of all time.

And this was the reason why I didnt even bother to bring Akechi into this fight. Because this is clearly the superior option.

Also I had no idea you could even do that to Sae with just one player.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Sae thing is presumably because they don't want it to be possible for the player to get "stuck" even through the situation requires you to be a colossal moron. This might also be why the other party actions in boss battles are so lame.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I think Atlus knows that people like solo challenge runs and are just accommodating that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not very well, though? Like, this one puts you in a hosed situation where you have to have your SP drained at least 3 or 4 times, and while maybe there's some weird trick to beating it alone, to my knowledge Cognitive Wakaba Isshiki makes you fight a monster with a massive HP pool with only magic, which does piddly damage against her.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 149: 11/19-11/20: Replay Value

A black-clothed figure leaps stealthily through the air, crossing the room via the lights above.

Well, aren’t you pleased with yourself?

Huh? Oh, what the gently caress now? Receiving an anomalous signal… It’s interfering with the image upload? What’s going on? Hold on, switching to an alternate track!

Joker motions for Crow to start.

Crow fires just past Joker...

...in the process snapping the support for the light rig.

Distraction successful. Though, uh… maybe a bit overzealous. Someone could have died. Wait, they’re all cognitions. Never mind.

With that, Joker heads off.

Over there! Let’s get rid of them!
All right! The enemies are focusing on Joker. A perfect diversion!

Totally. Skull could never come up with something like that.

Because he has no sense for aesthetics.
Shut up, Fox!

You guys can praise my marksmanship, if you’d like.

LOL, Akechi’s so desperate for praise.

Joker, do you read me?
We’ll recover the stolen treasure.

Joker places the Treasure for the team to retrieve.

The agents transform into masked creatures.

Joker leaps through the air...

...before landing directly on top of the enemy, grabbing its mask, and...

...ripping it clean off.

The enemy’s body bubbles up and explodes into a mass of red and black goo.

It then turns into whatever the hell this monstrosity is.

Oh, hey Arsene. How’s it hanging?

You have progressed well through your recollections. Last spring, you awakened to this furious power. Now, use that power… and defeat the enemies before you!

This solo fight can be a bit annoying if you don’t have the proper Persona for it, but our Seth is up to the task. Someone asked if we could make the Arsene from the intro and I don’t think it’s quite possible, at least out of NG+. It just knows skills we don’t have access to yet. Making a high-level Arsene in the first place would be a massive chore, too.

Recall everything… Remember the bonds you have forged with your friends… If you are fated to continue past this point, then we shall surely meet again...

Bye, Arsene!

If we recover the Treasure now, we can split up and get away!
Run, run! Yahoo!

Where should we meet up?
No worries, I’ll navigate!
Hey, Joker!

He’s always so cool.
Reckless, I’d call it. Sheesh!

Huh? No way! What’s this reading?

An ambush?

The frame is off-center here because it’s just cooler that way.

Guess the drugs were too strong…

No dozing off!

What about the camera? Are you thinking it can be used as video evidence?

So you’re not that stupid.

I’ll tell you now, don’t think that you’ll get out so easily. Obstruction of justice, blackmail, defamation, possession of weapons…

Hey, I was only ever the victim of blackmail! Many times!

We can add murder too, right? It’s a full course.

We’ll make you understand. One must take full responsibility for their actions.

Your name, you little poo poo! Giving the silent treatment? If you don’t spill it, your friends will suffer instead.

“He’s bluffing! They only caught me!” That’s what you wanna say, right? That’s fine. You can believe it or not.

Sign your confession.

What’s happening? It’s getting worse!

Halt. No one else goes in there.
It’s urgent. There’s something I need to confirm with the suspect.

Niijima-san, your director is on the phone.

Don’t make me repeat myself. Niijima, this case is already out of your hands--
I will not be convinced unless I confirm it. Director, this is my case.
I never win when you’re like this, so I went ahead and cleared it with them. Good luck, but I won’t be expecting much.

Your time will be cut short. We can’t permit you to talk with him for long. His methods are still unknown. We can’t guarantee it’s safe, even just to talk to him.
Understood.

What’s going on?

What the--

Huh?

Oh god

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this was the dumbest loving policy and a clear sign that atlus has grown fat and indolent

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

rip arist, now in video game jail

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A note: the gameplay and story sequences of this update would normally be identical to what was covered in Parts 1 and 2 of the LP (up to Sae entering the interrogation room). The only difference is that the first animated cutscene starts a bit later, the music in the two animated cutscenes is a bit different, and the brief Arsene appearance here. You also, obviously, don't get the opportunity to pick your name again, it just does that automatically. If you really wanna see that stuff again, read Parts 1 and 2 over. I ended up having to change a few lines from the "alternate footage" to comply with the story as presented thus far, also, but it's really minor poo poo. Not even spoiler stuff, just minor wording changes. Whatever.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Get ready, everyone.

poo poo's about to get off the anime rails.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aww gently caress, things were actually getting to a head!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Well rip LP it was fun while it lasted.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
ATLUS :argh:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Free arist

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is Earthbound's copy protection all over again!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

e: wrong thread

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I can't believe Arist is loving dead. Also as of this posting, P5 is 30$ on PSN for the PS4 version, 18$ for the PS3 version (Who even has a PS3 anymore? I do.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe the LP is dead.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

confess to your EULA violations nasty crimeboy

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
They stopped the signal rip Arist, maybe Mal can get it going again on the back up.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Really Pants posted:

confess to your EULA violations nasty crimeboy

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

:atlus:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

We have to steal Atlus' heart!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
To post such an extensive screenshot LP, you must have had a thread full of idiots posting dumb white noise between updates. Well? Confess! Who were your posters?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Coq au Nandos posted:

To post such an extensive screenshot LP, you must have had a thread full of idiots posting dumb white noise between updates. Well? Confess! Who were your posters?

I am thou, thou art I...
Thou hast acquired a new vow.

It shall become the wings of rebellion
that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Troll persona,
I have obtained the winds of blessing that
shall lead to freedom and new power...

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

We have to steal Atlus' heart!

This is a job for the Phantom Goons! :getin:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
THE JIG IS UP
THE NEWS IS OUT
THEY FINALLY FOUND YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Qrr posted:

I am thou, thou art I...
Thou hast acquired a new vow.

It shall become the wings of rebellion
that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Troll persona,
I have obtained the winds of blessing that
shall lead to freedom and new power...

Personally, I would've gone with Jester/Hunger, because it'd be a cute reference as well as something the series has used in the past when doubling up on Arcana. The ultimate persona of the Social Link is, of course, Anon.