Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Apparently, the LP freeze thing is ATLUS policy because Japanese fans ask for it, as an anti-spoiler measure. Or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
As soon as Atlus announced the whole "Hey, could you not play the game past the in-game date July 7 November 19, 2016?" thing, I looked up "persona 5 final boss english" on YouTube.

This policy had no teeth, is what I'm trying to imply.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Some believed it to be a publicity/viral stunt, a "ruse" to get people into the theme of the game, which is DISRESPECTING AUTHORITY.

Even if that were true (and it seems like it was, seeing as how no one really got hit by copyright strikes), it was way too realistic, given that quite a few companies copyright claim any footage of their games at a moment's notice. So it naturally put a lot of people off from streaming/LPing the game.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Solitair posted:

THE JIG IS UP
THE NEWS IS OUT
THEY FINALLY FOUND YOU

"You have your audience to thank for this. You were sold out."

WHO'S THE TRAITOR

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MarquiseMindfang posted:

"You have your audience to thank for this. You were sold out."

WHO'S THE TRAITOR

It's me, I am the Traitor, my Lordship depends upon such things.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Snorb posted:

As soon as Atlus announced the whole "Hey, could you not play the game past the in-game date July 7 November 19, 2016?" thing, I looked up "persona 5 final boss english" on YouTube.

This policy had no teeth, is what I'm trying to imply.

I just wish they got rid of that braindead anti-screenshot policy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's me, I am the Traitor, my Lordship depends upon such things.

So are you going to tell us where we can strike at your Lordship or are we going to have to force a change of heart on you first?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Solitair posted:

THE JIG IS UP
THE NEWS IS OUT
THEY FINALLY FOUND YOU

oh my god

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

pre:
ATLUS FOUND YOU!!!
 ATLUS FOUND YOU!!!
  ATLUS FOUND YOU!!!
   ATLUS FOUND YOU!!!
    ATLUS FOUND YOU!!!
     ATLUS FOUND YOU!!!
      ATLUS FOUND YOU!!!
       ATLUS FOUND YOU!!!
        ATLUS FOUND YOU!!!
        RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
       RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
      RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
     RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
    RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
   RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
  RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
 RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Do not engage Lu Bu Atlus.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Is it ever explained why the interrogator looks like he's from loving Innsmouth? I thought it was just his ingame model looking off but turns out he looks like that in the anime too.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

And now we’ve finally almost caught up to the present.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
When you were arrested, someone must have interrogated you and learned your secrets. Who was it!?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Is it ever explained why the interrogator looks like he's from loving Innsmouth? I thought it was just his ingame model looking off but turns out he looks like that in the anime too.

there is a very good reason for this and the very next story events in the LP will address it.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

cdyoung posted:

there is a very good reason for this and the very next story events in the LP will address it.

Fingers crossed for Bloodborne-style twist of suddenly Lovecraftian horror

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Enough of this. Let's move on to the next thing. *throws Maaku's arrest record on the table* Ten minutes ago, you were arrested. You were then brought to this interrogation room, where I began grilling you. What did you tell me? Explain in detail and leave nothing out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I unironically would be okay with that being the next cutscene.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Maaku in fact died during the police brutality and is now spending eternity in Hell: telling Sae his entire life story complete with the inane bullshit details while she makes really weird assumptions about the people he hangs out with.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Illuyankas posted:

Fingers crossed for Bloodborne-style twist of suddenly Lovecraftian horror

Persona as a series does have a history of Nyarlathotep problems.

I could see it happening.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Persona as a series does have a history of Nyarlathotep problems.

I could see it happening.

The cthulhu mythos featured quite prominently in the two second games, a lot of the outer gods were summon-able personae or demons that you fight/interact with and as said Nyarly has been the series antagonist since the very beginning. (and it's very possible he was that dark voice from the arena games.)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's a fairly popular fan theory that all the Velvet Room Assistants are really various Elder Gods in human form but there's really not too much in the game's actual text to support that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cdyoung posted:

The cthulhu mythos featured quite prominently in the two second games, a lot of the outer gods were summon-able personae or demons that you fight/interact with and as said Nyarly has been the series antagonist since the very beginning. (and it's very possible he was that dark voice from the arena games.)

nope, that voice turned out to be some other schmuck god limited to the arena games only

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Enough of this. Let's move on to the next thing. *throws Maaku's arrest record on the table* Ten minutes ago, you were arrested. You were then brought to this interrogation room, where I began grilling you. What did you tell me? Explain in detail and leave nothing out.

Arist I'm digging the LP but I'm sorry, I love the Sae interrogation jokes the most.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some speculation on how Maaku can get out of this situation.

I think the plan is for Maaku to keep stalling Sae until her change of heart triggers, which could explain why he talks about every single thing that's happened to him over the last several months. To get a bit meta, the group chose to steal Sae's treasure during the deadline itself and from what we've seen in the previous palaces, the targets there only show their change right after the deadline as well.

Now what makes me think this is rather improbable is how the player can finish a palace way earlier than the deadline. Unless the Thieves have canonically stolen their targets' treasures at the very last second, they really should have no way of gauging how fast a person would change once their heart's been stolen. For all they know, it could take nearly a month before Sae changes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

this is easily the weirdest thing anyone’s ever asked me to do.

I don’t give a poo poo. Can you do it?

i don’t even like you. why are you coming to me for help?

Can you loving do it or not?

maybe? i think? again, this is a weird case.

How weird?

a simple proxy to hide your computer’s location isn’t gonna work. they’ll sniff right through that. i’ll have to spoof the signal from multiple locations at once, and even then you’ll only have a five minute window to upload it from a public wifi signal. don’t do it from the same place more than once, and under absolutely no circumstances do it from your own home.

Thank you.

also, word of warning: there might be some… minor corruption of key words or phrases in the process.

What does that mean?

it’s an unavoidable part of the process.

I can deal with whatever it is. I’ve come too far to stop now.

you’re probably going to go to prison, lol.

Part 150: 11/20: Communication Breakdown

Music: Aria of the Soul

Now that you have traversed your long, perilous recollection, you truly have entered the present.
The effects of that drug are gonna wear off soon. This is your golden opportunity. You must grasp the truth that will save you from the brink of ruin.
The evil influence who wishes you dead is fast approaching.
If you want to win this unreasonable game…
If you wish to take back your stolen future…
Recall the bonds you formed with your allies… And grasp the truth that will save you from the brink of ruin.
*laugh*

Music: Interrogation Room

So that’s what led to your ending up here. What a disappointing end to the hero of justice. I still can’t believe it… but I now have a general idea of the methods you used for your crimes. There’s much more I’d like to ask, but my allotted time is nearly up… I do have a suggestion though.

Your operation was leaked, and you failed to change my heart. There’s no point in being obstinate now. You’ve corrupted the order of this country and caused an uprising against its very existence. You’ll most likely be given life imprisonment or the death penalty. ...Unless you accept my proposal. Going forward, I will read a list of people who are closest to you and this case. Tell me honestly whether or not the following are involved with the Phantom Thieves.

One of the victims of the Kamoshida case—Ann Takamaki. Ichiryusai Madarame’s pupil—Yusuke Kitagawa. The daughter of Wakaba Isshiki—Futaba Sakura.

Hey, Sae? Sae! I think you skipped one? Just checking?

The heiress to the Okumura Foods legacy and daughter of its CEO—Haru Okumura.

Oh, there it is.

Those are your accomplices in the Phantom Thieves case, are they not?

So you won’t sell out your friends… Then let me change the question. ...I find it hard to believe that high schoolers could have pulled off these crimes by themselves. Were there not others outside of your direct group who encouraged your crimes or lent their aid?

...You had the cooperation of people outside your group, did you not? Can you tell me about them?

...I see. So you won’t speak a word about either your teammates or your collaborators? Do you even understand the position that you’re in?

Might he be a part of your team too?

Aww shucks, Akechi’s such a swell guy we don’t even get the option of selling him out :3:

It’s a setup, lady! I’ve been framed! You got the wrong guy! I don’t know a thing about these Phantom Thieves!

Even now, you’re still acting as though you’re a hero of justice? Your teammates have sacrificed you in order to escape, yet you wish to defend their honor? Why won’t you talk about them?

Sae slams the table.

...Then tell me! What is this “justice” you speak of?

What an awfully simple response! *sigh* You continue to stand firm… Are you implying that we have no evidence on you? ...You’re right—we have nothing. And it doesn’t help that your story sounds like a fairy tale! But many people have fallen victim to this! We need to learn the truth.

After all this, you’re still--

Are you listening? The side effects of the truth serum should be wearing off. I won’t be deceived by such a poor act.

I feel like… I’m forgetting something important...

“Minor corruption,” eh?

...Can you hear me?

Although I find your story to be quite interesting, I won’t be able to speak with you any longer.

What are you getting at? ...That’s right. No matter the results of this case, I won’t be receiving credit. I even had to call in a large favor just to conduct this interrogation…

That’s right… If I remember...

Niijima mentioned a special interrogation room, didn’t she? Good. It looks like we can make this work if we lure them there.

...Our time’s up. We’re done talking here. ...Goodbye.

Why…? Because this is my job. Don’t ask me such odd questions. Anyhow… there’s one last thing I want to ask you. There’s something that’s been bothering me for some time now.

A short while later, I received word you were caught in the act… within some bizarre phenomenon. ...But that was all I was told. You were told someone sold you out, correct? If that’s true, who could it have been? Don’t you have any idea…?

That’s right… There’s something I need to do…

...All that’s left is to figure out a way to hand it over. It’s all up to you, Leader.

OK then.

We’ll be counting on you to pull this one off.

Music: Disquiet

Sae slams the table again.

If you know something, you must tell me! I won’t allow things to end like this!

I’ve been told the lock on it is quite complicated. But, it’s only a matter of time until it’s cracked. What’s so important about this smartphone? Are you going to unlock it and show me the data?

She hasn’t slept for days while she’s been getting that app ready.

What are you trying to get at here? And what about this smartphone?

The traitor…?

Maaku recalls the voice of the traitor…

Sae slams the table again. Geez lady, what’d it do to you?

I need you to be clear with me! Who am I supposed to show this to?

*sigh* What are you plotting? I can’t even begin to fathom it.

...But it appears my time is up. This is as far as our conversation can go. This will be my last involvement with this case… Heh… ...Very well. I’ve listened to your whole story, so I may as well play along to the end. And that honest look in your eyes… I used to view the world the same way too, once. I’ll place my bet on you.

*nod*

Music: The Spirit

Sae jumps straight from Rank 6 to Rank 10. Also, no romance option for her, which is weird considering how otherwise horny this game is. She’s voiced by Elizabeth Maxwell, a newer VA who voices Midnight in My Hero Academia, Ymir in Attack on Titan, and Urbosa in Breath of the Wild.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

True Justice?

gently caress YEAH, SATAN

Music: Disquiet

I’ll be going now.

Sae’s ready to follow our instructions. But who ever could the traitor be!?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
WHO, INDEED

e: actually I don't know but it seems so obvious that I'll be genuinely impressed if they pull a twist at this point

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hail satan

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Arist posted:

But who ever could the traitor be!?

morgana

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
The real traitor was the friend we made along the way.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

My knee jerk reaction points to two people.

But this dialogue doesn't... Really clear it up. Maybe a little bit.

Is it allowed to post my two suspicions?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Let's just say if you're going to post your suspicions now would be the time.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
traitor is that drat kid who sat behind us all year and watched us make lockpicks and sneak a cat into school...he wanted that reward money. dammit Green Pencil Bag Kid, I thought we were bros!!!!!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
You. You're the traitor.

It's some big drat Tyler Durdenesque conspiracy.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It’s Ryuji.. Clearly. He’s been trying to tell the world this whole time. “Hey, over here, Phantom Thieves!” Like he’s screaming from the rooftops ‘Get over here and arrest this practiced criminal and his cronies before they strike again.’

But the world has been so incredibly thick about it that it’s come to this. Having to do some big elaborate setup just so the police can’t miss it this time.

Skull, you bonehead!

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Yusuke's clearly the traitor, they just kept him in a room for a little while until he passed out from hunger, then offered him a meal to get him to cooperate.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ryuji was the only one of our teammates not named by Sae, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is this really obfuscation? Did we not see the phone handed over earlier? :iiam:

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Ryuji was the only one of our teammates not named by Sae, right?

He was literally the first one named.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's Maaku, Keyser Soze this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the real answer is clear

literally everyone is the traitor because the Japanese justice system is super good at getting confessions lol

the rest of the game is Maaku making new confidants in prison as he plans a breakout