Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RareAcumen posted:

Hardcore of Atlus to murder your protagonist but hey, whatever it takes to make Makoto not be a cop.

Nah she’s gonna use this as inspiration to become an internal affairs officer and root out all corruption in the system, which is probably her plan at this point anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Snorb posted:

There's a bit more foreshadowing; Akechi's the only left-handed party member, and he's the only party member who goes by their last name in the in-game menus/skill targeting.

How sinister!

Edit: the twist so far feels kinda whatever. I'm mostly waiting to see what hackneyed connection they make between Akechi and Shido, because that's the only way this is gonna make any kind of structural sense.

Edit 2: vvv Indeed. vvv

Black Balloon fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 26, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The sinister hand, even.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Also Akechi is the only one who has an eye covered on the box art.

As you can see, Akechi's left eye is covered while every other party member has both eyes out.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
...Just one thing. Since his confidant thing just levelled up, presumably it'll still be able to be levelled up to 10. Which raises the question, what will the context and benefit of those level ups be? Will it turn out this is some sort of imposter Akechi and we still get an Akechi for the party at some point? Hmmm...

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

KDavisJr posted:

The game did a pretty poo poo job covering this plot twist, unlike P4's which kinda came out of nowhere.

I dont think that was the point myself, though I never fell for some of the 'red herrings' they tossed out.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So Akechi being the traitor was super obvious, but I'm looking forward to how this turns out. I'm guessing he's either been secretly evil all along (which is the most boring way to play out), OR he could have been brainwashed/had his heart changed by the real culprit (which means we may still be able to save Pleasant Boy).

Also, Sae being really cooperative with Maaku at the end of the interrogation makes me think that the change of heart really did take place already. Mostly because her wanting to know what's really going on rather than just letting Maaku take the fall doesn't strike me as something she'd do.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Akechi is too young, barring some sort of eternal youth nonsense, to have killed Wakaba though. At least I'm pretty sure the timeline works out like that, I forget how long ago she was supposed to have died. I'd reason that there are at least two enemies capable of causing mental shutdowns in any case.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Obligatum VII posted:

Akechi is too young, barring some sort of eternal youth nonsense, to have killed Wakaba though. At least I'm pretty sure the timeline works out like that, I forget how long ago she was supposed to have died. I'd reason that there are at least two enemies capable of causing mental shutdowns in any case.

Wakaba's only been dead for like two years.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Obligatum VII posted:

Wakaba died like 2 or 3 years ago.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

...Just one thing. Since his confidant thing just levelled up, presumably it'll still be able to be levelled up to 10.

On this note, am I the only one who found it kind of funny that Akechi walks in to kill Ren Maaku and gloats about how he set him up, only for the game to be all "Your bond with Akechi has gotten even better!" immediately after?

macfam
Dec 22, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On this note, am I the only one who found it kind of funny that Akechi walks in to kill Ren Maaku and gloats about how he set him up, only for the game to be all "Your bond with Akechi has gotten even better!" immediately after?

Getting past the bullshit and finding out more about how someone really is has been how social links/confidants work though.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

"I sense my bond with Akechi has grown deeper..."

Akechi will now DIE FOR YOU.

"(voiced) All right!"

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Also they are teenagers, of course they are going to bond over wanting to die.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

macfam posted:

Getting past the bullshit and finding out more about how someone really is has been how social links/confidants work though.

So then they should have done what they did with Adachi and had the justice link should have morphed into a new arcana.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hunt11 posted:

So then they should have done what they did with Adachi and had the justice link should have morphed into a new arcana.

Reversed Justice is unfairness, lack of accountability and dishonesty.
It still matches, whereas Adachi didn't match Jester (Fool) anymore and switched to reversed Hunger (Strength); the switch also symbolizes how he and Namatame started as Fools but unlike Narukami they didn't wield their power responsibly and their Fool's Journey ended prematurely.

What would Namatame's reversed Arcana be, by the way? I'd peg him as either a Fool (naivety, foolishness, recklessness, risk-taking) or Magician (manipulation, poor planning, untapped talents)

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Omobono posted:

What would Namatame's reversed Arcana be, by the way? I'd peg him as either a Fool (naivety, foolishness, recklessness, risk-taking) or Magician (manipulation, poor planning, untapped talents)

If Narukami is Hope and Adachi is Emptiness, then Namatame represents Despair. He felt helpless after Yamano and Saki Konishi's deaths, until he was led to put those he thought were in danger into the TV himself. We may know how wrong he was, but Namatame truly thought he was saving people until he was forced to take Nanako in himself. My point is Namatame had no malicious intent. He meant well but he was acting on faulty beliefs, and I can't really blame him for that. Indeed, proceeding in the game explicitly requires looking past his role in events to search for a deeper truth to the matter.

His best match is the reverse of whichever Arcana represents the understanding of a situation, but I can't really match that with a Major Arcana. I want to give Namatame a reversed Star, which normally represents hope, optimism, and healing, especially after some kind of disaster or fundamental change, as the Star follows the Tower in tarot. Namatame's Tower is the exposure of his affair and the downfall of his life, and in his case the reversed Star is not just a lack of hope but a misplaced hope.

Back to Akechi, Justice and its reversed meaning really do suit him. He is surrounded by unfairness and ruled by imbalance in life, even as he claims what he does is just. For another example of Justice in the Persona series, look at Ken Amada. Ken seeks vengeance against his mother's killer because somebody that kills is not meant to live. Even when he confronts Shinjiro in an alley, the older boy still manages to call out Ken's intention of killing himself after the deed is done to keep the Scales of Justice balanced. (Or maybe it's Revolver Jesus that says that line.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also Justice does not tend to change it's mind so it makes sense Akechi never did.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Those are good points that I didn't think about and I actually agree with, but in my opinion your arguments apply to the Namatame we see in the epilogue added in Golden, where upright Star matches him quite well.
E: and reversed Star immediately after he understands exactly what he was actually doing.

To clarify, I meant Namatame's Arcana before he got caught by the Scoobies Teddies and/or before he fled into the TV world, when he was going around kidnapping people thinking he was saving them.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

Wakaba's only been dead for like two years.

Has it really been only two years? I assumed from the murals on the wall in Futaba's palace of her being looking pretty small that Wakaba died when Futaba was just a little kid.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

amigolupus posted:

Has it really been only two years? I assumed from the murals on the wall in Futaba's palace of her being looking pretty small that Wakaba died when Futaba was just a little kid.

Well Futaba is young enough that she basically was a little kid, just on the higher end of what you could consider. Plus she'd rather sheltered at that point still.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Wakaba is meant to be dead for like, 2-4 years yes. Futaba is 1 year younger than the protagonist which makes her like, 15-16?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Well Futaba's already small so when she was younger she was probably more of a pixie than she is now.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I still don't understand how Maaku was arrested in the cognition world and the real world at the same time?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Akechi has the app and app users can bring guests in the Metaverse (see: Ryuji, Ann, Yusuke); additionally, he picked the date and time for this heist.

He brought about one hundred cops in the Metaverse to lay in ambush some time before the heist; Joker got arrested in the Metaverse and dragged over to an interrogation room.

Incidentally I love Sae's reaction to the second option here:

Paraphrased:
No you did no *stops midsentence upon realizing that yes he did and he knows exactly who he's talking about*

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 152: 11/20: A Very Elaborate Game Over

Last time on Persona 5, we got loving murdered. Let’s see how that goes for us!

The Trick

Music: Trick

Akechi prods Maaku’s corpse with his gun.

Uhhh, you shot him square in the face, my dude. That’s kind of an awkward position to contort your hand into to do yourself.

Music: Desire

Shido! ...gently caress, I forget who that is.

Oh, right, this dude.

Regardless, all that’s left is to deal with the remnants.
The continued deaths of these teenagers would be a bit much, don’t you think? I considered making it appear they had a falling out… but that would only amplify public frenzy… It would be best to have each of them meet with an unfortunate accident once the storm blows over.
Is there any possibility they’ll want to avenge their leader?
No chance. They’re nothing but cattle anyway… They have no backbone without his guidance. I will keep my eye on them just in case though.
I’ll be counting on you.
They will live their lives cowering in fear of death. An apt punishment for obstructing our work.
Make sure to kill that strange cat once you find it as well.
Understood, though I doubt there is anything to worry about. It’s merely a cat, after all.

Things will become quite busy once the word gets out… I’ll need to prepare my comments on the matter.

Beyond that… what of the director of the Special Investigations Unit?
Perhaps he’ll be struck by a mysterious illness sometime soon…

“If only I got to monologue evilly… one last time…”

What? The data for the next scene is corrupt… I’ll have to skip past it and return later. My sincerest apologies.

Bad News

Music: Nothingness

This next scene has a lot of unsubtitled VO and text. I’ll do my best to grab what I can.

And now we return to our continued report. This morning, the police have announced that they have detained a suspect who may in fact be the leader of the Phantom Thieves group.

The suspect is reportedly a young man...
Ann-chan, can I get you to look over here?

That group sure was something.
Y-Yeah…

How ‘bout we have you do an idol theme, y’know? That cool?

What a surprise to think that the culprit behind all this is just a minor.
But considering how quickly they announced his arrest, the police must surely be confident in the outcome of this case..

Hm? Well I’ll be…

Huh? Uh, yeah…
You stopped visiting so abruptly, everyone was worried about you. It’s your second year, right? Are you still doing track and field?

Also, the young man continues to remain silent, refusing to implicate any potential accomplices.

The girls stare at Yusuke.

I wonder if something happened…
Yeah…

Oh. Yes…

With your skills, there’s no need to worry about your future.

He’s just a high school student. How do you think he was contacting the others?
The police here can search any online communications. His accomplices may slip up eventually.

I can only assume this is the rest of the group.

Still, it seems the Phantom Thieves’ most recent targets have gone comatose. Actual harm has been done here.
Given the lack of physical evidence, their method is still a mystery. Regardless, the police are looking into attempted murder charges.

And actual murder charges.

From what I’ve gathered these messages are just praising “Alibaba” and badmouthing the Phantom Thieves. It’s nothing critical, it’s just weird that none of it gets subbed.

I thought I lost it this whole time! Hahahaha!
I’m sorry…
Well, your grades are excellent, AND you’re student council president. I’m sure you’ll be admitted anywhere you apply. That one Phantom Thief should have followed your example. You hear? It seems he was caught. Some high schooler. I wonder why he turned to a life of crime.

We also received word that the young man was placed on probation for assault.
Because of his previous record, he had to leave his hometown. Perhaps his motive lies there.

Um, why are you hanging out with Sugimura, Haru!?

That Phantom Thief could never have changed anything.

So you’ve been coming home late. That’s what I’ve heard.

We have breaking news. The young man being held in custody has committed suicide. The police have confirmed his death, although details have not been released. To repeat, the suspect has committed suicide.

I’m just going to reiterate that none of this TV report is subbed, so if you’re one of those hardcore weebs who plays everything in Japanese even when there’s a perfectly fine dub sitting in front of you, you ingrate (and also, Persona 5), you have no idea what the gently caress just happened, and it’s the entire point of the scene.

This station will continue to report any further updates as they arrive.

It may be difficult to uncover his methods now. Perhaps that’s why he decided to take this course of action.

Oh no! I think Ryuji’s the traitor, you guys! :ohdear:

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 27, 2018

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Haha I love this twist.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ryuji's "We got 'em" felt so drat good to hear in the game.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I love this part.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What even was the point of SIU Director?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Exposition!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it always feels weird to me when a story is anchored in the perspective of one specific character but the narrative keeps breaking away to give expository dumps to the reader/watcher/player/whatever giving them information that the character wouldn't know.
there are ways to make that work, i guess, but most writers don't seem to be good enough for it to add more then it detracts

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Allow me to summarize:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This whole sequence is maybe the most holy poo poo part of any Persona game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the last three persona games have had their weak moments writing-wise but everything about the SIU Director is clumsy to the point of being actively offensive to my sensibilities, he was a nameless beak-faced schmuck who existed in a vacuum to provide ominous exposition that didn't even foreshadow all that much

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
For all the people complaining that the twist sucked? There you go.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think the thing I appreciate most is every phantom thief besides Ryuji stops for a few seconds and seems a little unsure if it worked. Ryuji, who has total faith in his friends, immediately announces “we gottem” because he cannot believe that his friends would fail.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's quite obvious. To be :moreevil:

Also, when Ryuji says 'We got 'em' is that point where you realize who was really playing who, and you love these bunch of misfits even more allears:

Stroth posted:

For all the people complaining that the twist sucked? There you go.

I actually kinda feel this was the real plot twist.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

KDavisJr posted:

I actually kinda feel this was the real plot twist.

The twist was that the first twist wasn't actually the twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm not 100% sure I know what's going on, other than the fact that Maaku somehow faked being shot in the head?