Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

different thing, the p3 protagonists summoned their personas by confronting their own mortality so they had gun-shaped doodads meant to evoke the pain and fear of suicide without the actual dying bit

But, unlike Persona's 1, 2a, 2b, 4 and 5, they don't contract with their personas and are instead brute forcing them into action.

Edit: new page, whee

DanielCross posted:

The real question is, would Evokers fire actual ammo in the Metaverse since they look pretty real?

depends on if the users and demons believe they're real. the airsofts are pretty realistic but the evokers aren't.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Persona 1 and 2 have it so Personas basically manifest like Stands in the real world, right?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I loved the second twist so much, especially since once we got to Sae's palace in real time I had an inkling of what was going on and what could have happened, and it turned out I was really close. But yeah, "we got em" was a great little scene.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thinking about it, getting a Persona means going through one or two of the 5 stages of grief. For the record: first is Denial, second Anger, third Bargaining, fourth Depression, and finally Acceptance. Denial and Acceptance go with Persona 4, Anger with Persona 5, and Depression with Persona 3.

Persona 5 also features Bargaining. Pretty much all the Persona Awakenings we see over the course of the game involve the character's Shadow mentioning forming a contract or a pact for their power.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Persona 1 and 2 have it so Personas basically manifest like Stands in the real world, right?

pretty much, P1 and both P2s didn't have some quazi-metaspace where demons and shadows existed. Demons and Personae were both real things and effected real space, since they were also based in Shin Megami Tensei If...'s universe.

So if the P1 and both P2 crews showed up in P3/4/5 they'd laugh off the fact the new generations need a special place to summon and just solve all the problems with liberal application of BRAIN GODS.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

cdyoung posted:

pretty much, P1 and both P2s didn't have some quazi-metaspace where demons and shadows existed. Demons and Personae were both real things and effected real space, since they were also based in Shin Megami Tensei If...'s universe.

So if the P1 and both P2 crews showed up in P3/4/5 they'd laugh off the fact the new generations need a special place to summon and just solve all the problems with liberal application of BRAIN GODS.

And actual guns that are definitely real.

That they used to shoot Hitler while he wielded the Spear of Destiny.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gruckles posted:

During the Arena games while the P3 cast is inside the TV world they notice they're able to summon their personas at will without an evoker. Though Mitsuru also mentions she's done that once or twice in the real world, but it was way more difficult.
Likewise the P4 cast are surprised to learn that Fuuka is able to use her persona in the real world to contact them.

Presumably if either group ended up inside a Palace then they'd get the masked intruder gimmick.

It's also implied that the P3 cast are much stronger; Fuuka kinda blows Rise out of the water in terms of navigating ability.

Whether this is due to experience or the way they manifest their Personas isn't made explicit though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's also implied that the P3 cast are much stronger; Fuuka kinda blows Rise out of the water in terms of navigating ability.

Whether this is due to experience or the way they manifest their Personas isn't made explicit though.

I thought the implication was that Fuuka was better at scouting but Rise was a better combat navigator.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I never really used Rise in Persona Q due to finding Fuka better, so I could buy that.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

It’s kinda wild how, with all the various “video games cause violence/satanism” stuff, there was never any real controversy over a game where kids get superpowers by holding a gun to their head and screaming “Lucifer” but I guess Persona was just too obscure

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I never really used Rise in Persona Q due to finding Fuka better, so I could buy that.

Well, Fuuka had better nav skills then Rise.

Night10194 posted:

And actual guns that are definitely real.

That they used to shoot Hitler while he wielded the Spear of Destiny.

Well, Jun could throw flowers with enough force to injure people and demons and Boafu was able to flick coins with the same strength of handgun bullets.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 29, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

I thought the implication was that Fuuka was better at scouting but Rise was a better combat navigator.

meanwhile futaba is making entire squadrons of enemies play Look the Other Way while screaming "GET ON MY LEVEL"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mover posted:

It’s kinda wild how, with all the various “video games cause violence/satanism” stuff, there was never any real controversy over a game where kids get superpowers by holding a gun to their head and screaming “Lucifer” but I guess Persona was just too obscure

Yeah, I dunno. Maybe it being an obscure-ish JRPG had something to do with it. Because people just go 'lol, Japan' any time something weirder than than the screen changing colors like you're on drugs happens.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Persona 3 was obscure as hell, remember that 4 is when the series hit the big time in America which is where most of the Video Games are evil stuff crops up hardest. Furthermore the most popular version of Persona 3 was on the PSP, which 0 people care about corrupting the youth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Furthermore the most popular version of Persona 3 was on the PSP, which 0 people care about corrupting the youth.

https://youtu.be/4l7ng-U_fks

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mover posted:

My favorite part of the Persona 4 anime is when Yu summons the Antichrist as a representation of how strong his bonds with his friends have become.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Okay, you got me, I don't watch Fox News because I'm not American. The point still stands that as far as things people were worried about the PSP was rather low compared to actual consoles.

Also on further thought Persona 3 doesn’t really fit the usual narrative of realistic violent video games corrupting the youth, because Persona 3 is not realistic looking at all and not a first person genre, which seems to be where the largest issue arises in these “claims”.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 29, 2018

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Persona 3 was obscure as hell, remember that 4 is when the series hit the big time in America which is where most of the Video Games are evil stuff crops up hardest. Furthermore the most popular version of Persona 3 was on the PSP, which 0 people care about corrupting the youth.

It had two re-releases, that's not obscure. it was THE breakout game for the persona series.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, I remember it getting hyped as hell in gaming magazines and sites, so it wasn't under the radar at all if you pay any attention to video games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He's not american, we don't know how good or bad coverage is on his home country.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I don't remember Persona 3 Hype but I do remember Persona 4 Hype, but you've convinced me it's just that I wasn't paying attention.

I feel though that the fact Persona 4 got a re-release, and 2 spin-offs, means it was significantly more popular in the general public opinion than P3 anyway.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Lord_Magmar posted:

I don't remember Persona 3 Hype but I do remember Persona 4 Hype, but you've convinced me it's just that I wasn't paying attention.

I feel though that the fact Persona 4 got a re-release, and 2 spin-offs, means it was significantly more popular in the general public opinion than P3 anyway.

Part of it is that Atlus went through a corporate restructuring between P3 and P4 iirc, and part of it was that P3 proved that Persona games could be financially successful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
P4 seemed to be made as a quick cash-in on P3's surprising popularity, imo. SMT titles had always been cult hits at best, but P3 opened the door to mainstream success. The turnaround time between P3 and P4 was astonishingly short.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
IIRC they recycled a lot of the models and behind-the-hood stuff for P4, which undoubtedly helped a lot.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Clarste posted:

P4 seemed to be made as a quick cash-in on P3's surprising popularity, imo. SMT titles had always been cult hits at best, but P3 opened the door to mainstream success. The turnaround time between P3 and P4 was astonishingly short.

well the two games were started simultaneously, Like how P5 and P4G were started at the same time. So yeah, cross pollenization and all that.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Clarste posted:

Weird that the 'quick cash-in' was better in pretty much every way than the thing it was supposedly cashing in on.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

LordNagash posted:

Weird that the 'quick cash-in' was better in pretty much every way than the thing it was supposedly cashing in on.

Like argue all you want over the story, P4's gameplay is way better even if it suffers from the series long Start To First Save problem, and a far better balance with S. Links. P3 original was insanely tight with the s.links and iirc it was almost impossible to 100% all the links on a first run since so many share the same time slots (remakes moved Tanaka and a few other s. links to the evening to help relieve the pressure).

And honestly, I like most of P4's cast better pre spin off character flattening

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Wasn't Atlus also in a financial bind when they were making Persona 4 and that made it their hail mary? I mean they got bought out by Sega anyway

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

HIJK posted:

Wasn't Atlus also in a financial bind when they were making Persona 4 and that made it their hail mary? I mean they got bought out by Sega anyway

well that financial bind was because their parent company got caught doing some record-breaking corporate corporate larceny

Atlus itself was actually doing pretty well, Index was however doing some massive number inflating.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

LordNagash posted:

I would certainly hope that they learned from their mistakes. "Oh hey, turns out not being able to control your characters isn't fun."

Honestly, I like P4 better than P3. But I still think it's pretty clear that it's essentially a full-length expansion pack with the exact same gameplay systems and a few quality of life tweaks.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Clarste posted:

I would certainly hope that they learned from their mistakes. "Oh hey, turns out not being able to control your characters isn't fun."

Honestly, I like P4 better than P3. But I still think it's pretty clear that it's essentially a full-length expansion pack with the exact same gameplay systems and a few quality of life tweaks.

I have no problems not being able to control my characters directly, if I can at least give them general instructions. FFXII's gambit system appeals to the same part of me that spends 200 hours in Factorio. More games should use that type of system. Let me entirely automate random battles dammit.

They also learned that randomised fusions aren't fun, too.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
While P4 is probably a better game, with a more clear story.
P3 I feel had more highs and made me more emotional. Certainly had a better climax.

Also I definitely remember P3 hype over here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 153: 11/20: Behind The Scenes

Music: Aria of the Soul

But why were you killed? Why did you have to die? Do you remember…? It seems you forgot an important fact while your consciousness was hazy. Indeed… Your “death” was a necessity for your escape from certain doom. *chuckle* What a tremendous plan. How might you be capable of executing such a feat…? Well then, let us rouse the memories which are missing…

That’s right. It was during the school festival...

Maaku shakes his head.

Pfff.

There’s no way he could’ve reacted like that if he hadn’t heard me.

My thoughts exactly. It was your social studies trip. We met him in the hallway of that TV station…

This whole deal feels sketchy.

Yeah. It’s impossible not to think that of him. OK… Let’s get everyone on the same page right away.

So Ann knew the whole time? But she’s a terrible actress!

If it’s possible, I want to eavesdrop on their phone conversation.
That’ll be tough…

I agree.
Hmmm… I’d have to plant a bug directly on the phone…
So it’s impossible even for you…

...That’s perfect.

Don’t worry, I’ll tell you the details later.

Futaba’s going to do something…? I wonder if it’ll be OK...

It’ll be a gamble…
I think it’s gonna work. You can’t tell a thing.

Wait, you weren’t even in that last scene, Maaku!

This “game” is not over yet.

“Another fifteen hours, give or take.”

There are still things that must be done.

...That’s right. This is what really happened to me at that moment...

But before that, we need to rewind and see that Sae scene we missed last time!

Music: Disquiet

How do they know I have this…!?
Goro Akechi is evil. He didn’t come to interrogate the captured Phantom Thief… He came to kill him.

(phone) We could say he stole the guard’s gun and committed suicide during his imprisonment… How about that? Yes, the guard will be one of ours. We’ll have to eliminate him after to destroy the evidence though...

Don’t trust the guard, either. He’s an accomplice as well. Now then, I’ll tell you detailed steps to take. You must save Maaku Hamiru.
You want me to… save him?

U-Um, nothing… Anyway, what brings you here? I thought you were done with your business…
Did anyone else stop by?

…… Nobody?
Th-There’d be no reason for anyone else to come down here!

It’s Akechi-kun. He had to take a sudden call, so he won’t be able to make it down today.
Huh?
...I’ve been asked to handle things instead.

I suggest you go into hiding at once if you value your life.
Y-Yes, ma’am…
And don’t say a word of what transpired here. Trust nobody. Forget this ever happened.

Well, that was simple! Now, where were we?

The Reveal

Maaku, you wily alive bastard.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
IT WAS THE GODDAMN PANCAKES THAT DID HIM IN!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Okay, what happened, exactly? I'm super confused.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SweaterGear posted:

So Goro just heard Morgana talk in that hallway, right? Nobody else said anything about pancakes before then. I wonder what that's all about, especially since nobody besides the Phantom Thieves #Millennials has been able to hear him speak until now.

From way back then:
yup, he totally did and the party immediately caught on it.

E: in-universe the pancake slip was about 5 months before Pancake-kun tried to infiltrate the group.

E2:

Neopie posted:

Explanations will come later, when we're safely back at Leblanc.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 30, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

"i lived bitch"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neopie posted:

Edit: Deleted

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We're literally one update away from the explanation, please don't.