Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GeneX posted:

For all that I have serious problems with basically the entirety of the game's first 2 arcs, the game absolutely nails Sojiro's characterization.

It makes me wonder why him of all people. Whoever scouted him out as jailer for Maarku must've realized that his drill sergeant personality was just a weak act.

I mean, it had to have been noticed. If the MC came to him in the middle of the night claiming he had a nightmare, Sojiro would probably cook him something his mom/dad would make for him as a kid. And if that happened he'd be liable to tuck him into bed afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

vdate posted:

I'm not sure you fully understand the meaning of 'hard mode'. I'm not saying they should lower drop/xp/money returns either, that mostly just seems tedious, but giving you more of that stuff seems like it renders 'hard mode' largely pointless. It's there for people who want the game to be tougher. Asking them to do more with fewer resources might be a bad idea (inasmuch as it just encourages mindless grinding), but asking them to do more with the same resources is what hard modes are generally all about. Also, asking for a unique gameplay feature in hard mode and then complaining about locking content behind a hard mode seems like a contradiction in terms.

More to the point, though, it seems like only your first point is pertinent to the subject at hand (i.e. Persona 5), unless I'm missing something critical here.

High Risk, High Return. If youre playing hard mode, you should be rewarded for doing so in some way otherwise it really can be interpreted as some form of masochism, and that doesnt work for me at all. The unique game feature exists independent of hard mode but its one of the things that rewards for playing on hard mode can be applied to. Examples:
Bonus EXP tends to be higher in hard modes when present.
Point Systems that it makes sense to give you more points on hard.
Crafting Systems that give you better or more drops on hard, since you'd actually use them on hard.

Very few of the discussions since I last checked the thread have actually been pertinent to P5 after the first few posts, mine is alot more so and its definitely pertinent to the subject of hard modes, which are relevant to a pretty sizable majority of games. You did alot more for taking the subject off P5 by saying that if you ask me.

Arist posted:

I'm going to spend it all on lotto tickets just like in real life :unsmigghh:

I keep buying the lottery, so same. For some reason I actually really like gambling in games but would never actually touch it in real life. Probably the fact that it would take some serious trying to ruin my life over it.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yes, that certainly would have been unbearable.

You shouldve used the face.

Just to not quote again, pretty sure MC's "get out of my house, you troublemaker" parents, just kind of shipped him off to the first person that said yes. I think it said he was like "a friend of a friend" or something. Pretty sure it was the scene where we first met him.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

GeneX posted:

I do think that Teddie living with you in P4 would have been horrible though

He actually does live with you for a while in Golden.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Arist posted:

I think you can win like 100,000 yen from it but I've never actually done it.

I've definitely won the 100,000 yen before, but normally I barely break even.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

I'm going to spend it all on lotto tickets just like in real life :unsmigghh:

See, this here's a man of culture and totally someone you wanna trust your cash with :v:

By the by, are you gonna do write ups on the confidants and what benefits they give later on in the game? Because if not, I'd be happy to help there, along with (personal) opinions on how to level them up and whatnot. I won't do them past whatever rank the LP has them at either to help preserve spoilers and all that.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like this dungeon expedition is going slower than P4 when it finally let you get up in there.

It's kind of baffling that the party runs into the castle and gets threatened with death by Kamoshida, causing someone to awaken their Persona, three separate times before you even tackle the dungeon proper.

It also makes Morgana sound like a dink when he says you can't just waltz into the castle, because he obviously has not been paying attention to the plot.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It is starting to feel as if we will assemble the entire group of possible party members on repeated raids of Kamoshida's palace before ever taking him down.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
As entertaining as using Kamoshida as the sort of training wheels of mental-trauma-and-duress-necessary-to-awaken-a-Persona would be, we do kind of have a time limit. Given the pacing of these games I kind of doubt we'll be meeting any more party members before next month.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

It is starting to feel as if we will assemble the entire group of possible party members on repeated raids of Kamoshida's palace before ever taking him down.

Considering what a raging rear end in a top hat Kamoshida is, that's not unrealistic.

Let's bring Mishima in!

EDIT: Morgana is feeling really stupid for not going with his initial plan of throwing an army of teenagers in here.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like this dungeon expedition is going slower than P4 when it finally let you get up in there.
I actually had the opposite reaction. Persona 4 takes it's time getting you to the first dungeon to an almost absurd degree, although you can complete it in one shot like the day after Chie joins the party. P5 lets you in a lot earlier, but they parcel out the initial exploration because there's more to it than in the previous game.

And that's why I'm a lot more willing to forgive a slow start--people might prefer Persona 4 for all sorts of reasons, but when it comes to the dungeons themselves at least, it's not even a contest. The palaces are more interesting than either of the previous 2 games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rangpur posted:

I actually had the opposite reaction. Persona 4 takes it's time getting you to the first dungeon to an almost absurd degree, although you can complete it in one shot like the day after Chie joins the party. P5 lets you in a lot earlier, but they parcel out the initial exploration because there's more to it than in the previous game.

I don't think we're disagreeing? I think this is taking longer to finish than Persona 4's first dungeon is all I'm saying.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Dredging up "wait, the tool making has multiple tabs discussion" sort of:

I just found out you can use the toilet & bed in the Velvet Room for bonus dialogue. Hopefully Arist shows it off since I'm probably not the first to go "wait, you can DO that?".

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Haifisch posted:

I just found out you can use the toilet & bed in the Velvet Room for bonus dialogue. Hopefully Arist shows it off since I'm probably not the first to go "wait, you can DO that?".

God damnit.

I thought I got all the flavor text, thanks.

Learn from LoH damnit, give me obvious cues for when NPCs change dialogue.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I don't think we're disagreeing? I think this is taking longer to finish than Persona 4's first dungeon is all I'm saying.
Well that's definitely true, yeah.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Haifisch posted:

I discovered that 3/4's through my first playthrough.

To say I was shocked would be an understatement.

The tool tabs thing only took me 1/2 through to figure out :downs:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The game just wants you to have a full party of 4 members before you properly/freely storm through the first dungeon

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

dragon_pamcake posted:

EDIT: Morgana is feeling really stupid for not going with his initial plan of throwing an army of teenagers in here.

Thanks to you, I'm now imagining Persona 5 with the Power Rangers opening.

"Morgana, recruit a team of teenagers with attitudes"

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

RedMagus posted:

Thanks to you, I'm now imagining Persona 5 with the Power Rangers opening.

"Morgana, recruit a team of teenagers with attitudes"
Persona 5 would definitely be improved (further) with the addition of Ron Wasserman's face-melting guitar riffs. :rock: To be fair, the same could be said for most things in life.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

dragon_pamcake posted:

I mean, he saw some evil pantsless king's castle and said, "yeah this sounds like a good place to hang out". He might be the tutorial dumper, but I'm not sure Morgana is the brains of the group.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Having finally listened to the battle theme, I now know where all of those "You'll never see it coming" memes originate from.

Also, a team of Power Rangers would be pretty neat.

Though, I am a bit curious now, though, about Persona 6 given that this game already uses a prison cell as the Velvet Room location. Seems like it'd have been more fitting for the next game, which will likely be based on Stone Ocean somewhat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Someone rang?

Hotlinked instead of inlined for major P4 spoilers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Though, I am a bit curious now, though, about Persona 6 given that this game already uses a prison cell as the Velvet Room location. Seems like it'd have been more fitting for the next game, which will likely be based on Stone Ocean somewhat.

The main Persona Team is actually going to be working on brand new IPs for Atlus. Persona 6 will be made by their understudies, so it might end up fairly different.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Someone rang?

...Really, no Neo Featherman costumes? You heavily disappoint.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Lord Koth posted:

...Really, no Neo Featherman costumes? You heavily disappoint.

Here you go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Someone rang?

This is like worrying about Street Fighter 4 spoilers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The other P5 LP thread says to not go spoiling other Persona games. Figured I'd play by the same rules here. :shrug:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

The main Persona Team is actually going to be working on brand new IPs for Atlus. Persona 6 will be made by their understudies, so it might end up fairly different.
I suspect that making a game like Persona 5 is enough of a trial to make anyone into a battle-scarred veteran.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I wonder if they'll give P6 to the director of Persona 3 Portable. She sure knocked that one out of the park.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The concept of spoilers pisses me off to no end. Its not about not telling people things or something like that, its specifically about being told things ruining the entire experience which is complete bullshit, it'd have to be a lovely experience you wouldn't enjoy in the first place if you cant enjoy it just by knowing something about it. We should trash the entire concept and get a new one that isnt innately insulting to stories.

Just follow common decency, if someone asks you nicely not to say things in a public space, dont. If someone yells and insults you, feel free to ignore them till someone asks decently. Also since this is Arist's thread, follow his rules at all times. Speaking of, Arist, might want to add a policy section to OP to curb any arguments about this.

Speaking of people that actually make the games, I wonder if any of the Career Soft people that Atlus ate worked on this. Career soft was great.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Clarste posted:

Do you have some sources for that? I'm interested in the future of Atlus. God willing, we might have Catherine re-release with online multiplayer.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

EDIT: Wrong thread.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

A Catherine remake with online multiplayer would be amazing and also maybe actually motivate me to try and beat the bonus levels. Plus, I would love to see the competitive Catherine scene blow up because I was taken aback by how cutthroat it was when I saw it at Evo last year.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

The concept of spoilers pisses me off to no end. Its not about not telling people things or something like that, its specifically about being told things ruining the entire experience which is complete bullshit, it'd have to be a lovely experience you wouldn't enjoy in the first place if you cant enjoy it just by knowing something about it. We should trash the entire concept and get a new one that isnt innately insulting to stories.

Just follow common decency, if someone asks you nicely not to say things in a public space, dont. If someone yells and insults you, feel free to ignore them till someone asks decently. Also since this is Arist's thread, follow his rules at all times. Speaking of, Arist, might want to add a policy section to OP to curb any arguments about this.

Speaking of people that actually make the games, I wonder if any of the Career Soft people that Atlus ate worked on this. Career soft was great.
Are you okay?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
There are some people who just aren't affected by spoilers, and don't understand that the majority of humanity actually is. It's difficult sometimes to grasp an emotional experience that you can't personally have. Honestly, you just have to trust that we're not just loving around, and that spoiling things for us genuinely does harm our enjoyment of them, yes, even if they're good. In fact, especially when they're good. Not spoiling things is just basic politeness to all of those people.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Expectations shape response. Telling me about what's going to happen in a work will shape my response to it, and I neither need nor want that, from you or anybody else. I don't care about plot twists or any other thing in particular, but I do want a work to speak for itself the first time around, and spoilers inevitably shape expectation.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I will say, I do like how they re-integrated the Persona awakening speeches from Persona 2. I really like those, and this game's Awakenings are top-notch. Maaku's totally reminds me of Lelouch from Code Geass gaining his Geass (not helped by Maaku's seiyuu also voicing Lelouch in Japan), and Ryuji's and Ann's are fantastic as well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 11: 4/18: Thief And The Big City

Today we’re not gonna worry about any of that “forward progression” nonsense and just explore. Well, explore and prepare. There’s a lot of stuff to buy and if we want to tackle the Palace in as little time as possible (we do), we’re gonna need the essentials. But first, time for school!

Music: Disquiet

The implied “motherfucker” is what really makes this a great dialogue option.

In class...

Music: So Boring

Seems like Ryuji probably got the same treatment.

He was just standing there looking at me with this poo poo-eating grin on his face.
Ugh, that’s annoying… he was probably mocking you.
Honestly, seeing that got me even more fired up about this.
Yeah. I’m worried about Shiho, but I want to concentrate on our operation too. And I won’t let myself get exhausted like last time.

Same goes for me.
Me too! I’ll do my best. No going in without me, OK?
Yeah, you better let us know if you’re going into the Palace.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

I bet the others are ready to go and waiting on the signal. Well, I’ll leave the planning to you.

We’re finally free*!

*Freedom may be limited at this point in the game.

The game just goes back a week like in P4 if you hit the deadline, don’t worry. The fail states are slightly more interesting than they were in that game, but not enough to really justify showing them off. They’re generally pretty samey, though there is one abjectly horrifying one.

Despite the two days of preparation, we’re still nowhere close to adequately prepared to take on the castle. We’ll need to more thoroughly investigate the city for more resources.

Let’s take Kamoshida’s twisted heart!

We can also check what other people did during their runs.

Most chose to enter the Palace, which is understandable. Incorrect, but understandable.

Ain’t we meeting up? If you dunno what to do, let’s just go.
Well, what do you want to do? Should we meet up at the hideout and head into the Palace?

Sorry, Ryuji.

Hey, we’re heading in today, right?

Do you need to get ready first? I want to make him pay as soon as possible now that we know the real story behind his actions….

I appreciate the offer… but I’m not really in the mood to be out having fun right now… Sorry, but I’d rather focus on the Kamoshida situation.
Lady Ann seems stressed… I guess it’s not much of a surprise. Kamoshida’s the only thing she can afford to think about right now. If you want Lady Ann to rely on you, you’ll need to be kinder. Like me!

Looks like it’s too early to develop Ann’s Confidant any further.

Instead, let’s head to the library.

We can check out books here or just read or study.

You’re only allowed to borrow one book at a time. Once you finish, please be sure to retur-- Huh? That badge… Are you a second-year? ...Oh, could you be that transfer student I keep hearing about!?

I knew it… Um… I don’t mean to be rude, but maybe you shouldn’t come here… See, you’re scaring the other students too… Oh… No, I didn’t mean that you can’t use the library, but...
You’re not welcomed anywhere you go… I guess there’s nothing we can do about it.

...You can only borrow one book at a time. Be sure to return it once you’re done reading it. ...These are all the books you can check out right now.

Yes, all the books we can check out are based on our party members’ Personas. We’ll check out Pirate Legend for now.

But I’m a little worried about the look that librarian is giving you. Not to mention the other students…

We’ll get a Knowledge boost when we study...

...but also Guts, if we manage to stay focused. If not, we still get Knowledge.

Are you sure you’re gonna be OK studying here?

We’ll ignore that for now and head down to the courtyard.

SP’s at a premium in Palaces, so having these SP restoring drinks, even if they only give back five each, is essential.

Mmm, sounds... delicious.

We also run into Kamoshida roaming the halls. Attempt to walk past him without a word...

...and he accosts us himself.

I can’t believe you can come to school all calm like that. Unless you’re scheming something…?

Don’t give me that cheek! You’re really pushing your luck, you defiant piece of garbage. I suggest you try and enjoy the time before your expulsion. Now then, get lost. I don’t have the time to be dealing with you.

Time to leave school.

We can see the names of Confidants we can spend time with by hitting Square next to their respective area. The only one available today is the Languid Doctor from the medical clinic, but let’s not commit just yet. Let’s head to Central Street in Shibuya instead.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Next, let’s hit up the bookstore and clean the place out. I’m gonna be the bestest pick-up artist in the world! :buddy:

Your room’s a little cleaner, but there’s still no reason to go here without a TV.

A TV, eh…?

This is the sad song of mid-April, sung by this loving cat. We can’t actually enter about half of these establishments because Morgana decides otherwise.

While we’re here, we’ll buy 30 Adhesive Bandages, which are the best value on healing we have available right now at 20 HP for 120 yen a piece. Is this enough? Well, I know the future, and I’m going to say probably not.

You can watch a movie whenever you want later. Let’s save it for after you deal with Kamoshida.

drat cat’s interfering with my personal life. To continue on, we head underground.

Inspecting the magazines lets us consider some job possibilities.

Some of the jobs are gated by social stats or gameplay progress, though, so we can’t accept all of them just yet.

We can’t go out at night yet so the beef bowl shop’s out, and the flower shop requires more charm, so the only option we have is the convenience store.

A part-time job at a convenience store, huh? Sounds typical for a student. You wanna apply?

Let’s call them right now!
Hi, this is Triple Seven on Central Street. You’re calling about the job opening? Hold on. I’ll get the manager.
Thanks for waiting. So, you wanted to apply for a part-time job? You’re a student, right? I’ll plan your schedule around the days you’re available. I’m always in the store, so you can come straight here. I look forward to working with you.
Seems like it worked out! Good job!

That manager’s gonna be bummed, because we aren’t going to go to work there for several months at the very least. The convenience store job gives no social stat boosts and isn’t tied to any Confidants, so there’s only one reason besides money to even bother with it and we don’t have to worry about that for a long-rear end time.

I don’t know why it bothers telling you any of this, because you can work at any job any day of the week as long as you have that segment of the day free. It’s not like P4 where you could only go on certain days.

Down in the Underground Mall, most of the shops are full of items that are really only useful as gifts to give female Confidants. Different girls like different things, but I don’t know any of the intricacies of any of that and as such I’ll probably just ignore it entirely.

We need to make sure to pick up these Bio Nutrients while we’re down here, though. It’s pretty critical.

Back up on the surface...

If you’re interested, I’d love for you to come. I want young people like yourself to hear it.
A speech highlights a person’s ability to attract others. What’s your take on this guy? I sense experience emanating from him, so he may be good at it… If that’s the case, we should go. But… it’s at night, so we won’t be able to attend without the chief’s approval.

Don’t mind if I do.

All right, let’s scratch away! Let’s see… Scratchers… There’s three spots you can scratch and… It seems that you win if any of those spots show a money amount as the prize. I guess you can just go ahead and scratch them all. Which one do you want to scratch first?

M-Meh… It’s a miss. Which one do you want to scratch next?
>The left one.
M-Meh… It’s a miss. Just one more left… Now, let’s see what you’ve got! Huh…? Could it be...!?

Wow, you really won! Let’s come here again some other time!

Time to never, ever play scratchoffs again, I guess.

We’re moving up to the big time!

Over in Yongen-Jaya, we find another vending machine with more SP drinks.

Let me take a bath you goddamn cat, Leblanc doesn’t even have a shower

This Spring Fruit Pack is a great deal, too bad it’s only available during this season and in limited quantities.

Next, we head over to the second-hand shop.

...Welcome.

I didn’ t think anyone would buy such an outdated TV… Since you got it off my hands, I’ll throw in a DVD player and tuner for you, OK? ...Does Leblanc work as your delivery address?
He’s giving us a DVD player and a tuner? Maybe this turned out to be quite the bargain! I’m excited! I can’t wait for it to be delivered!

One of the only things we can actually do today is head to the batting cages.

Batting cages? In a small place like this? ...What’s it like inside?

Getting the home run prize is much easier than the slugger prize, for the record. I believe you also get bonus Proficiency if you can get the slugger prize, but it’s hard enough that it’s not really worth it to even try at this stage unless you love savescumming. The rewards are decent enough that we might put some time into this, though.

Whoa, he said there’d be prizes. Sounds like it’s worth trying!

You came here just to look…?

Sorry, Morgana. We’ve got other plans.

For those of you who want to keep track, we bought:
  • A bunch of assorted soda, including
  • 6 sodas that restore 5 SP each
  • 3 books
  • 30 Adhesive Bandages, though again I probably should have bought more
  • 3 Happy Pops (Cures Despair) from the drugstore, which won’t be important for a bit but will be a lifesaver in later dungeons
  • 2 Coolifier Pads (Cures Burn), 2 Hand Warmalizers (Cures Freeze), and 2 Non-Static Gum (cures Shock) from the station kiosk
  • An Earth Burger (40 HP to all allies) from Big Bang Burger (not usable in battle)
  • A Protein (30% health to one party member) from the thinly-veiled Don Quijote knockoff Rocinante (It’s the name of his horse, you see)
  • A 5,000 yen Recover Oil (cures all ailments for one ally), by far the most expensive thing we get
  • A scratchoff ticket
  • A 3,000 yen lottery ticket
  • A Spring Fruit Pack (80 HP to all allies) from the supermarket (not usable in battle)
  • Bio Nutrients from Rafflesia (this is important)
  • A CRT Television from the Second-hand Shop, as well as
  • 2 Tin Clasps for tool crafting, because we were out
This all drains our coffers down to a paltry 22,000 out of the 50k we started with. And we’re probably going to chew through most of that just in this next Palace run, keep in mind. Future Palaces won’t be quite so bad, but this one is dangerous for a few reasons. But that’s for another time.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 14, 2019

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

There was a lotto scratch and place! I never found this. I thought I discovered everything.

Kamoshida just gets more and more annoying. Giving him grief is so much fun.

Also, why that recover all ailments oil?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Everyone's Activity Log is a neat little idea that gives a peek into other player's playstyles, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Gotta love that fussy, smothering cat.