Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GunnerJ posted:

lol at Shido threatening his own muscle and secret source of his power.

More on the pile for 'Shido not a very smart man.'

Doesn't stop him being dangerous, though. Stupid guy in the right place who stumbled backwards onto the backing of the right awfulness is a disaster waiting to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think it's more that the phantom thieves rummaging around in his brain and forcing his cognitions to give up their secrets is making him even more violently paranoid than usual, which is what tipped off akechi that something is amiss

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

the scene spells out, "hey shido is acting irrationally, i wonder :thunk:"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

i think it's more that the phantom thieves rummaging around in his brain and forcing his cognitions to give up their secrets is making him even more violently paranoid than usual, which is what tipped off akechi that something is amiss

The game does a terrible job of explaining this, to be fair

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

The game does a terrible job of explaining this, to be fair

might have been helpful if we had seen shido ever be anything other than a snappish, backstabbing toolbox

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Basically, yeah. 'I snap at my own muscle and secret source of my power' doesn't seem at all unusual for him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Shido's a big dummy who hasn't seen Space Jam.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Night10194 posted:

Basically, yeah. 'I snap at my own muscle and secret source of my power' doesn't seem at all unusual for him.

I could 100% see him thinking about sending Akechi to give Akechi a mental shutdown if he doesn't comply.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

I could 100% see him thinking about sending Akechi to give Akechi a mental shutdown if he doesn't comply.

"Your target is...Schmoro Schmakechi"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Stroth posted:

"Let's have some kind of 90's movie hacker contest to prove who is the best!"

"Nah, I'm just gonna shoot you."

At least someone around here makes sense!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GunnerJ posted:

Of course. He's not a weak-minded fool like those lesser beings. He's the savior of Japan!

(Also he's probably totally just sending Akechi to get killed and hoping he won't catch on.)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

might have been helpful if we had seen shido ever be anything other than a snappish, backstabbing toolbox
The little in-between segments where the game switches back to Shido in the real world would have been perfect opportunities for the game to expand on his characterization. Have Shido slowly realize that someone is inside (since he seems to have a better understanding of the cognitive world compared to other Palace targets) as each sub-bosscognition goes down, then have him finally hit a paranoia-fueled breaking point and order this mass mental shutdown spree. I mean, the whole point of Shido ordering Akechi to kill off these supporters (thus tipping off Akechi that something is going on) is to railroad Akechi into being the next major boss fight. But like so much of the back half of the game, it is so poorly implemented that it drags everything down with it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

It really is annoying how bad the phantom thieves are at, y'know, phantom thieving. Like, the game is so infatuated with miniboss fights that it doesn't let them convince anyone of anything - all of their tricks are pointless because they just end up fighting anyway and there's no consequences for doing so. You could argue that "drawing the attention of the cleaner" is a downside of just fighting, except they need that attention because they need to beat him up for his letter too.

It seems like these should have been minigames with the fights being a failure state, but instead failure is mandatory. Just like every other time they try to be surreptitious. I can kind of understand the guaranteed failure every time they try to steal the treasure without being noticed because they made these big dramatic boss fights and they want everyone to see them, but the minibosses are just normal monsters with some weaknesses moved around - skipping them should be allowed.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Qrr posted:

It seems like these should have been minigames with the fights being a failure state, but instead failure is mandatory. Just like every other time they try to be surreptitious. I can kind of understand the guaranteed failure every time they try to steal the treasure without being noticed because they made these big dramatic boss fights and they want everyone to see them, but the minibosses are just normal monsters with some weaknesses moved around - skipping them should be allowed.

Plus, you can easily justify the big boss fights, cause the whole Phantom Thief cognitive deal is that you have to tell the person you're going to do it before you can steal anything. So no matter how sneaky you are on the way, they know you're gonna try to get to the treasure at that point, so that's always the obvious "you got caught" boss fight spot.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I don't think Shido threatening Akechi is all that foolish. What's Akechi gonna do, navigate that shithole palace all on his own and take the guy out one-on-one? The Phantom Thieves, he ain't.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
He literally did that to Haru’s dad. The Phantom Thieves didn’t help him, and he managed to be in the right place at the right time to cap the guy right after his treasure got stolen.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It seems to be because he does not care at all about the Treasure and just stealths around until he lines up a good shot on the shadow.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Night10194 posted:

More on the pile for 'Shido not a very smart man.'

Doesn't stop him being dangerous, though. Stupid guy in the right place who stumbled backwards onto the backing of the right awfulness is a disaster waiting to happen.

Well, I don't think that would EVER happen in today's pol.. it... uh... uh-oh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the game absolutely wants us to believe that Shido is a devious all-encompassing mastermind, which is rather the problem

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

"Do as I say or I'll order you to cause a mental shutdown in youself!"

:downs:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Shido has other criminal resources available, including the more traditional use of street thugs, so there's at least that.

It's still a stupid threat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, considering any perceived threat could result in Akechi causing a mental shutdown in Shido and blaming the other members of the Phantom Thieves whom he hasn't killed yet, he really has no power to be making a statement like that.

Especially since Akechi is often around the police and is apparently a pretty sharp detective, which would likely make sending goons after him fairly difficult as well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

kw0134 posted:

Shido has other criminal resources available, including the more traditional use of street thugs, so there's at least that.

It's still a stupid threat.

If Shido has even a basic understanding of how the mental shutdowns work then he should be aware that physical threats towards Akechi are useless since he can just gently caress off into the cognitive world for however long he wants where nobody can reach him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sydin posted:

If Shido has even a basic understanding of how the mental shutdowns work then he should be aware that physical threats towards Akechi are useless since he can just gently caress off into the cognitive world for however long he wants where nobody can reach him.

shido bankrolls akechi so the mere threat of cutting off his money spigot and using his connections to leave the kid homeless and disgraced would probably suffice

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's an earlier line from I think Futaba in this Palace where she says "you can't get full off food from a Palace" which seems to imply that cognitive food isn't "real" and thus cannot sustain you, so he'd theoretically have to leave to fulfill his needs from time to time.

That's not really that relevant to the conversation, I just thought it was interesting. Working on the update now, it should be done pretty soon.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Huh, interesting. There's definitely a bit of vagueness with how tangible anything in the palaces really are, since you earn and take money and items out of the palace back into the real world, and consume food items you bring in. I can buy that it's not possible to stay there forever though.

Oxxidation posted:

shido bankrolls akechi so the mere threat of cutting off his money spigot and using his connections to leave the kid homeless and disgraced would probably suffice

What Shido doesn't realize is that Akechi now knows about Mementos, the greatest cash cow in history.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 168: 12/7: Taking Out The Trash

When last we left off, Shido was only one letter of introduction away from being completely undermined. But I’m suuuuure those Phantom Thieves won’t get any further. That would be just impossible.

Also worth noting: we’re officially done with Hallway Simulator 2017. Thank gently caress.

Music: Ark

Just that cleaner dude left then. Wanna go cause a scene somewhere and lure him out?
As I’ve already said, we should avoid doing that if we can.
But we’ve gone everywhere on the map. Is there any place we haven’t checked yet…?

Hm? I don’t recall ever passing by such a place.
Wait, I found something… The engine room. Remember how you were wondering about that smoke earlier, Skull?
Oh yeah… Where was that?

Back down on the main level of the side deck, the thieves find this vent.

I’m getting a reading from inside, but I can’t tell if it’s him.
Huh? We ain’t gonna be able to get in like this. You wanna try forcin’ it open, Joker?

OK, let’s do it!

But his men are with him too. Exiting here will land us directly in front of them. There will be no chance of escape at that point. What do you think, Joker?

Very well. We shall jump in!

I said you’re off the hook, didn’t I? You got guts, bro.
Crap, this guy might be just a cognition, but he’s drat scary!
I’m too busy to deal with you punks now. I’ll be leavin’ that to my men here.

This fight is just more Baphomets and is therefore a complete joke. Melchizedek has Mahamaon and can thus instakill all of them in a single turn. Get some better henchmen. I am of course referring to the cleaner, not Shido. That would be absurd, as Shido is perfect. Shido cannot fail, he can only be failed.

Look, over there!

Dammit, we’re not lettin’ him escape! Let’s take that letter by force if we gotta!

Bead Chain and a Diamond, not terrible.

Our target appears to be within this room. We have cornered him thus far, so let us look for a way inside.

They’re holed up in this room…

Agh, dammit! He locked the door!
This won’t do. We can’t exactly give up on the letter either… Is there some way in…?

...but the door is impassible. They’ll need to find another way in.

Climbing up on these containers allows the thieves to reach another duct they can crawl through.

This will be our final letter of introduction! We must get it!

Very well! It is time we put an end to this charade!

You punks… You snuck in again!?

The cleaner removes his jacket.

Music: Tension

WHAT DID YOU THINK HE WAS DOING, YOU MORONS

Crap…! Is he really yakuza?
IT seems that bastard Shido has close ties to the underground…
How are we supposed to get the letter of introduction from him? Do we have to prove our worth?

Well, if you have any pattern recognition at all, everyone except Skull, Mona, and Fox have had some one-on-one session with the targets to prove their mettle, so I guess it’s gonna be one of them who gets it for us.

I’m a busy man. I gotta deal with cleanin’ up problems and all them mental shutdowns, after all. If you got business with me, just spit it out already.

May I please have the letter, kind sir?

A letter of introduction? Why the hell would I give you one?

Music: Wicked Plan

A tattoo?

Yep, it’s Fox’s turn.

I thought you’d be able to do it, Yusuke…

Ixnay on the loving names, jesus christ!

What’re you squabbloin’ about?

Yusuke, draw something! Art’s art, ain’t it!?
…… ...Very well. May I at least decide what I draw?
Uh uh. I won’t accept anything ‘cept a godly phoenix fitting for my godly personality.
A phoenix… I’d rather something else…
Makin’ excuses now, mister “artist”? You’re all talk. People like you are a dime a dozen.

I am not all talk. I can draw anything you want. Bring me a brush and a piece of paper.

It should be emphasized that Skull sounds hilariously pissed here.

…Is it a monster? It has some kinda crazy aura...
A truly… explosive piece…
This is my perception of a phoenix.

I get that this thing is wrong for a yakuza tat, but I personally think the rest of the Phantom Thieves are a bunch of whiners here and that Fox’s drawing looks loving badass.

Thank you.
It seems like… it went well…?
Well then, I request a letter of introduction.

I decline.

Music: Desire

No letter for you then.
I must decide my own path as an artist. I will not receive aid from others any longer. Now if you understand, hand over the letter. Otherwise, we’ll just have to take it by force. By the way, you’re more feral pigeon than phoenix.

We’re still gonna fight after all that!?

Shadow Cleaner

The Shadow Cleaner is unique among minibosses in that he actually has a semi-unique model (albeit just a palette swap of Fuu-Ki). (Nope! It's just an Ongyo-Ki!) He also has a shitload of health. This fight is a bit annoying and took over eight minutes, which is about double what a miniboss normally takes.

He’s capable of using Maeigaon to hit everyone with Heavy Curse damage, using Myriad Slashes for a bunch of physical hits on one party member, and can increase ailment susceptibility with Foul Breath (one target) and Stagnant Air (everyone, including himself). While he doesn’t have any status ailments to inflict on us, I’m pretty sure they also increase the hit rate for instakill skills, which he does have in the form of Mudoon, a Curse skill. He can use (Ma)Rakunda to lower Defense and Tarukaja to raise his Attack, as well, plus Heat Riser to increase all three of his parameters.

I don’t think he has a weakness, but if he does I don’t know it. Thankfully, One-shot Kill from Astarte has a high crit rate. I also left out the best part of all this, which is that he gets two turns. Joy. This is where I started dipping into my reserve of Takemedic-All-Zs to replace my lack of Mediarama.

Anyway, the Phantom Thieves kick his rear end.

That's all five!

Music: Suspicion

You’ve got some backbone. All right, I’ll give you my letter. Normally I’d have to “clean” you guys up for messin’ around on the ship, but… there’s no point now.

Uh, why is this dude not cowering and repentant like all the other cognition/Shadow hybrids? Is he just a cognition? If so, why did he go berserk? Actually, never mind. Here’s the only important question here: Why is he suddenly wearing clothes again?

You’re letting us go?
This place ain’t gonna last much longer if powerful soldiers like you guys got in here. Time for me to jet. The captain was great n’ all, but he’s gonna have to go down with this ship alone. See ya later, kiddos.

Politicians never get too close with their shady connections. They must have only been linked monetarily.

How do you know that, Noir? Is there something you’re not telling us?

That must be it.
Well, we finally have all five. We need to use these to get into the main assembly hall, right?
Yes, and I believe that will be where we find the Treasure. We’ve been to most other places to gather the letters—there’s almost no doubt about it.
We’re gonna take his Treasure, no matter what!
As I’m sure you all know, the importance of this particular card is unlike any that’s come before. Once we send it, our opponents will know that Joker, who they presumed dead, is in fact still alive. We will be putting our backs to the wall.
If we lose, our lives will truly be over…
We can’t let that happen, can we!?

Hell yeah!
Then it’s decided.
The real question is, how and where do we send the calling card?
How about we make it super flashy? Our whole big plan was all for this moment, you know!
Actually, it must be theatrically done. A minor leak will only be crushed by Shido’s influence.
Maybe it doesn’t have to be in letter form this time.
Hehe… It’s finally my turn to steal the spotlight.
...What’s the matter?
Heeheehee… It’s nothing.
Well, there’s no use in thinking about it here. Let’s head back for now.

Music: Ark

It was quite the feat, but we can finally open that door! Let’s take the Treasure!

It won’t be that easy, Phantom Thieves, for Lord Shido wi—actually, you know what? gently caress it. The Phantom Thieves have chewed up and spit out everything you’ve thrown at them, and I know which way the wind is blowing. I’m siding not just with the winning team, but the right team. You have nothing left, man, and the Phantom Thieves are just getting warmed up. Say your prayers.

Man, it’s good to not feel like I’m under some shitlord’s heel anymore. Even if I get a mental shutdown, this is worth it. Time to kick back and watch the Phantom Thieves do their thing.

There’s no obstacles left between us and victory now. Let’s just head back to where the Treasure is and we can call this a day. I’m positive there’s nothing that can possibly stand in our way.

Music: Desire

ah gently caress

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 14, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

Politicians never get too close with their shady connections. They must have only been linked monetarily.

How do you know that, Noir? Is there something you’re not telling us?

she could tell you, but then she'd have to kill you! ha ha! seriously though

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's time for the obligatory evil Persona User fight!

Also

just how dumb are these kids? I mean seriously, did this really need explaining?

That tattoo is badass, though. Reminds me of Okami.

Oxxidation posted:

she could tell you, but then she'd have to kill you! ha ha! seriously though

No, but seriously, don't ever ask Noir about her business.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 13, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is strange how much the party bags on that design.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think this is the only time in the entire game, beyond his recruitment arc, where Yusuke's presence has any impact whatsoever on the plot

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The Cleaner isn't a palette swap of Fuu-Ki, that's just a regular Ongyo-Ki. IIRC you can make him from a special fusion of the other three -Kis, though I might be mixing that up with another SMT game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rectified.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Arist, I hope the Phantom Thieves manage to change Shido's heart before Ari can convince him to retaliate against you. Good luck!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Here comes the real Goro Akechi's Wild Ride.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My guess as to why the cleaner doesn't become a grovelling wimp after beating him is probably because you appealed to his yakuza heart: you beat him in a contest of strength and now he respects you. Granted, the party did not follow the cleaner's example and go shirtless for the battle as per yakuza tradition, but alas.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

None of them have any sick gang tattoos to show off, except for Makoto.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Noir absolutely has her body count carved into her skin, you can't fool me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AradoBalanga posted:

My guess as to why the cleaner doesn't become a grovelling wimp after beating him is probably because you appealed to his yakuza heart: you beat him in a contest of strength and now he respects you. Granted, the party did not follow the cleaner's example and go shirtless for the battle as per yakuza tradition, but alas.

That and he is sure that if Shido goes down then he is safe. Everyone else knows that they are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Having played 3 Yakuza games now I can agree that the design on that Phoenix isn't great. But with those games as my only experience I'm used to tattoos that look like they take 3 months to finish.