Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I honestly still prefer Robin Hood and think it appropriate for Akechi even after his 'reveal'.

And hey, don't be dissing the ~~power of friendship~~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Loki is my favorite Persona design in the game, maybe even in the whole series.

Also, if you felt like snapping the game in two and Despair'd the Reaper to death back in November, this fight literally is just the "puny god" scene. It's great.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If they have him ~~see the power of friendship~~ and rejoin the team and be buddy buddies with everyone again after this, I'm going to loving scream. gently caress this guy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

megane posted:

If they have him ~~see the power of friendship~~ and rejoin the team and be buddy buddies with everyone again after this, I'm going to loving scream. gently caress this guy.

Look, if a few dozen murders are enough to get in the way of a good friendship then that’s being very unfair to Haru.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Look, if a few dozen murders are enough to get in the way of a good friendship then that’s being very unfair to Haru.
And it's about to be a few dozen more. If you can't wrap your mind around the concept of killing someone multiple times, you're about to get a handy demonstration.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Also, the script for this scene is pretty bad but Robbie Daymond is having the time of his loving life as insane Akechi and it owns.

Mmmm-hmmmm. I love, love, love this bit and it has caused me to love Akechi as a character. You need to hear this part for yourselves- Daymond was already turning the ham knop all the way up during the battle scenes, but he just breaks that fucker off here. He rules, his powers rule, the fact that his persona is Loki the Liesmith rules...It's magnificent. I loves my hammy bad guys.

I love you, Akechi, even if Arist doesn't! This part is great, honestly part of what makes P5 worth the price of admission; I would suffer all that corridor/ mice bullshit for this.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The great range between polite, demure Akechi and power-tripping psychotic Akechi is great. He's tearing up the scenery and it's totally appropriate.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like that zebra-pattern Loki concept art.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Akechi's Japanese voice actor (yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a horrible weeb) also does a hell of a job in this scene. Dude sounds like he's going utterly insane, and it's fantastic.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Can I just add that Akechi's "Black Knight" outfit (as I call it) is loving badass?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah Akechi is great and much like Yusuke during the early Madarame palace a lot of his evil actions are meant to reflect on Shido being a lovely person and using a child for his own dirty ends. Akechi is damaged and broken by his life and his father being a massive piece of poo poo, he needs help really badly and that’s his whole lament about not meeting the protagonist sooner.

Akechi knows his plan is insane and monstrous, he also doesn’t think there’s any other way at this point. If he’d met Joker earlier in his life before he went so far he probably feels like his life wouldn’t have been as awful as it was for him to get to this point.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Haha, yeah, the people who only know a bit about the gods and maybe only from the Marvel movies are often quite surprised to hear about how his story ends

Elaborating on this a little: most people think of Loki's ultimate fate (pre ragnarok anyway) as getting punished for killing Baldr, but it got more complicated than that. He got driven out of Asgard, but he lived to run away. Later, he ends up crashing a big diplomatic dinner event between the Aesir and some important giants or someone, and he started just verbally laying into everyone, belting out grievance after grievance, airing every last scrap of dirty laundry, and just generally making GBS threads all over the rules of hospitality and friendship. Everyone there begged him to just stop, they'll forgive him and everything just STOP DOING THIS, but he was past the point of no return and just kept ruining everything at the party until Thor finally got home and beat the poo poo out of him.

So yeah, pretty good persona for Akechi!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I wish Akechi’s personality extended anywhere beyond this scene but unfortunately having a tantrum in Shido’s palace is the only interesting thing he does.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah Akechi is great and much like Yusuke during the early Madarame palace a lot of his evil actions are meant to reflect on Shido being a lovely person and using a child for his own dirty ends. Akechi is damaged and broken by his life and his father being a massive piece of poo poo, he needs help really badly and that’s his whole lament about not meeting the protagonist sooner.

Akechi knows his plan is insane and monstrous, he also doesn’t think there’s any other way at this point. If he’d met Joker earlier in his life before he went so far he probably feels like his life wouldn’t have been as awful as it was for him to get to this point.

Akechi was already abusing his powers before he even met Shido and without him Shido would have just been swallowed up by the political machinations of his party. He did have a horrible life but because of his need to make his father suffer Akechi was more then willing to basically gently caress over the entire world.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Really Pants posted:

lol Shido is behind literally everything

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, I'm looking forward to what Persona Q2 does with him.

(From what I've heard, Dancing Star Night just makes him all psycho all the time.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MightyPretenders posted:

(From what I've heard, Dancing Star Night just makes him all psycho all the time.)

Are you saying he's a maniac, a maniac on the floor? And he'll be dancing like he's never danced before?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Akechi was already abusing his powers before he even met Shido and without him Shido would have just been swallowed up by the political machinations of his party. He did have a horrible life but because of his need to make his father suffer Akechi was more then willing to basically gently caress over the entire world.

If this game wasn't so willing to give into stock cliches then Akechi would have been a pretty interesting examination into what society pushes its dispossessed into doing - he was an orphan (which in Japan means you're good for nothing but slave labor and pig food) who stumbled across the power to exert his influence onto a society that he never gave a poo poo about and vice-versa. The system never showed him any consideration or compassion, so why should he show any in return? But at the same time, his mission to ruin Shido allowed him to glut on cheap admiration from people he always hated and sneered at, so he slowly started going nuts from wanting love from society and wanting to destroy it at the same time. This is reflected in Loki himself - that zebra pattern is apparently battleship camouflage that makes it difficult to see whether the vessel is coming or going. The kid was twisted up inside from contradiction.

In short, Goro Akechi is a boy of contrasts.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 18, 2018

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

For someone with the power to make people psychotic, I'm surprised there wasn't a phase where Akechi berserk'd your teammates into attacking the group. Then again, they already did that gimmick in P4.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

amigolupus posted:

For someone with the power to make people psychotic, I'm surprised there wasn't a phase where Akechi berserk'd your teammates into attacking the group. Then again, they already did that gimmick in P4.
I also wouldn't be surprised if the team having Personas means they're immune. It's come up in the series before that Personas are what you get once you master and learn to control your own Shadow.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Robbie Daymond is so, so, so good. Best performance in a game filled with incredible voice acting (say whatever about the localization but the actual actors have been consistently top tier). Akechi's screams of "PERSOONAAAARRRGHHHHQGGHHHH" are genuinely chilling.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean, he could have caused Shido to have a mental shutdown years ago. He just came up with this ridiculous plan to do everything Shido wanted instead so that he could pull the rug out from under him just as he reached victory.

It's pretty silly, really.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Yeah, that seems fairly apt given that Persona users can't have a palace, or so we've been told so far.

Other than blasting and punching each other with Psychic Stands, it doesn't seem like Persona Users (hereby referred to a Perusers) have many weapons against each other.

Game over happens when Joker hits 0 yeah? But somehow when our team mates hit 0 they persist. It's Joker that keeps them together; his cognition of unity.

We've seen that you can change the cognition of others, and even Akechi has had his belief and views altered indirectly.

I just have to wonder what it would mean if Akechi can inflict psychosis on your team. That would be breaching this gap in a way previously unheard of.

Or, Akechi is just a power mad tool who's halfway between Awakenings. Our team mates have two, but it's not simultaneous like it is with Akechi. Maybe that's the key

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Akechi can't make the party's shadows psychotic, since they aren't going to be wandering around Mementos now that the thieves have all awakened. But if he can just target his own physical body, he could have done it to the others during battle. He just thought of the other thing first.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Req.Martyr posted:

Or, Akechi is just a power mad tool who's halfway between Awakenings. Our team mates have two, but it's not simultaneous like it is with Akechi. Maybe that's the key

we never find out the details in-game, but supplementary materials state that Akechi's Robin Hood appearance is just an illusion created by Loki

as for where he got Robin Hood in the first place, i'm pretty sure it's ambiguous, but i like to think that it's because the Wild Card relies on close bonds to create other Personas and he's such a broken weirdo that the closest thing he ever had to a friend was Joker, severely limiting his options

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

If this game wasn't so willing to give into stock cliches then Akechi would have been a pretty interesting examination into what society pushes its dispossessed into doing - he was an orphan (which in Japan means you're good for nothing but slave labor and pig food) who stumbled across the power to exert his influence onto a society that he never gave a poo poo about and vice-versa. The system never showed him any consideration or compassion, so why should he show any in return? But at the same time, his mission to ruin Shido allowed him to glut on cheap admiration from people he always hated and sneered at, so he slowly started going nuts from wanting love from society and wanting to destroy it at the same time. This is reflected in Loki himself - that zebra pattern is apparently battleship camouflage that makes it difficult to see whether the vessel is coming or going. The kid was twisted up inside from contradiction.

In short, Goro Akechi is a boy of contrasts.
And this makes the party's slow attempt to win him over even more painful to watch. This is someone who is absolutely broken beyond redemption, a physical representation of the darker sides of Japan's society and culture. And yet, the party thinks that by talking and being friendly to him, Akechi can reform and be a good person. I know that this series is built around friendships and people uniting together to defeat evil, but in this case, Actual Serial Killer Goro Akechi does not deserve a redemption arc. It gets even more ludicrous when you recall that both Futaba and Haru have had family members literally murdered by Akechi. In the former case, Futuba was so messed up from her mother's death and cover-up that she turned into a shut-in who wanted almost no contact with the outside world until meeting Maaku and company. Of all the people here, Futaba should be calling for Akechi's head to be served on a platter. And that's not to diminish Haru's feelings either; she had to watch her father get murdered on live television. Haru should also be at the point where other party members have to restrain her from ripping Akechi's head off with her bare hands, not trying to win him over with kindness and platitudes.

It feels like two very important plot points (the deaths of Wakaba and Mr. Okumura) were forgotten when this scene was written. Or, more than likely given Japan's rear end-backwards method of game development, Akechi's reveal as the one behind the mental shutdown was scripted well before the team got around to writing the deaths of Wakaba and Mr. Okumura. And no one on the staff thought, "Hey, maybe we should go back to that Akechi reveal and change things up to fit this new information..." for whatever reason. Like, updating your cutscenes as changes to the plot happen should be priority number one, and I will never understand how an entire industry came to believe that important detail should be an extremely low priority.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like how Akechi's boss theme is the awakened Persona music.

Also, yeah, it's sad your dad never hugged you, but you still killed a poo poo ton of people unapologetically.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Akechi wasn't Joker's Justice confidante. Joker was Akechi's. Pity he understood nothing from it.

The psychotic personas here get the same colour scheme as Shadow Sae did when she went berserk towards the end of the battle.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Akechi really well represents Reverse Justice. Unfairness, lack of accountability, dishonesty, refusal to change, self-righteousness, callousness, and imbalance are the traits associated with reverse justice.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I like how Akechi's boss theme is the awakened Persona music.

It's a nice touch because he's using his main Persona in the fight.

Also because he isn't important enough for his own boss theme.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Akechi really well represents Reverse Justice. Unfairness, lack of accountability, dishonesty, refusal to change, self-righteousness, callousness, and imbalance are the traits associated with reverse justice.

Absolutely, I just find the image of Akechi slowly grinding his Justice s.link the hard way because he keeps choosing the wrong answers funny.

E: I think I already said this earlier but they should have had his card warp and change like Adachi's in Golden.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 18, 2018

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I also wouldn't be surprised if the team having Personas means they're immune. It's come up in the series before that Personas are what you get once you master and learn to control your own Shadow.

But wait, Akechi's mastered his own Persona so wouldn't that mean he should be immune to being berserk'd? Considering how much the game loved over-explaining how the P. Thieves pulled off their master plan before, it's just weird there's no throwaway line why it wouldn't work on the team.

(I know the answer's gonna be, 'the writers didn't really think this through'. :ssh:)

I'm just spitballing here, but maybe when you get Akechi's HP down, he'd turn one or two of the party members. Then you have to send someone else to sneak around to smack them back to their senses while Joker goes on the defensive. Once the others turn back to normal, Akechi would then have his tantrum about not needing friends for realsies and that he can finish them all off on his own.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And it's not like they were even close to Akechi in the first place - given they were 'why did he mention pancakes?' so the whole talk him down by appealing to friendship feels tone-deaf - though in the hands of better writer, Akechi would've thrown that back in their faces.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

megane posted:

Yeah, the only help I´m willing to give this piece of poo poo is basically :commissar:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

And it's not like they were even close to Akechi in the first place - given they were 'why did he mention pancakes?' so the whole talk him down by appealing to friendship feels tone-deaf - though in the hands of better writer, Akechi would've thrown that back in their faces.

being charitable, the intent was that they immediately pivoted all the blame onto Shido and the society that supported him for loving up Akechi so badly in the first place, except teens (and especially these teens) aren't likely to get that philosophical in the heat of the moment

if the writers had let this scene breathe a little more then they maybe could've established more of a rapport between him and the PT, because i'm pretty sure some of them would have absolutely started whacking people with impunity if they'd had the Meta-Nav app and no friends to temper their anger

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Junpei posted:

Can I just add that Akechi's "Black Knight" outfit (as I call it) is loving badass?

it's the berserk armor, what's not to love about it?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Also, the script for this scene is pretty bad but Robbie Daymond is having the time of his loving life as insane Akechi and it owns.

Last page but :same: Daymond completely hamming it up owns and really sold this otherwise dumb as hell scene for me. Arist also missed what is IMO the best line read where Akechi flips the gently caress out in response to one of the nicer dialogue options with "Is that supposed to be pity?! YOU PIECE OF SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!" :allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Music: Regret

...You’re so lucky. Lucky to be surrounded… by teammates who acknowledge you… And once Shido confesses his crimes, you’ll all be heroes. As for me, people will find out my past deductions were just charade. My fame and trust will vanish.

Oh boo loving hoo.

...I see. So you were turning people psychotic, then solving the cases yourself. And you did that by joining forces with Shido.
In the end… I couldn’t be special…
Dude, you’re more than special…

What?

It pains me to admit… but your wit and strength far exceeds ours. We only defeated you by teaming up… I was honestly… envious of your natural ability.

Oh, gently caress this

It was frustrating to see how much my sister trusted you…
I have no intention of forgiving you for what you did to my father, but… I sympathize with you. I wholeheartedly understand wanting to get back at the adults who took from you…
But when you gained the power to fulfill that desire, you only used it for your own self-benefit.
If you have the ability to use multiple Personas, you probably have the same talents as Joker. But because you went through life alone, the power you awakened was fueled by lies and hate… Still, you thought that was enough, right…? That part, I totally get.
You excelled at everything over us… yet that was the one thing you lacked.

All right, let’s go back and get that callin’ card ready! (to Akechi) We’re gonna take Shido down. What’re you gonna do?

loving what!? He’s a mass murderer!!!!!

So yeah, all you guys worried that things would all be hunky dory after Akechi’s fight were maybe on to something, there.

You should get rid of me… if you don’t want me getting in your way. ……

Music: Desire

OH GREAT, ANOTHER ONE

That’s… Shido’s cognitive version of Akechi!

One thing that my portraits can’t really capture is just how creepy and dead this motherfucker’s eyes are.

……!
Captain Shido’s orders… He has no need for losers. Well… this just moves the plan up a little. He was going to get rid of you after the election anyway.

You can’t possibly be surprised by this, my dude.

Did you truly believe you’d be spared after all the murders you undertook? Don’t tell me… Were you actually feeling good about having someone rely on you for once? Oh by the way, the captain says it’s time you receive retribution for causing the mental shutdowns.
What the hell, man!? That bastard’s the one who put him up to it!

I was wondering how he’d protect himself if I used my power to tear through his Palace. Turns out you’re how. So he’s making a puppet kill me… Sounds like something he’d do.
That’s right. I’ll do anything. But look at yourself… you’re the true puppet.

Not only is Cognitive Akechi a loving sociopath, he’s also a vampire apparently.

You’ve been nothing but a puppet from the very beginning.
You little…!
So this… is how Shido thinks of Goro Akechi… It’s… it’s too horrible!
It’s still not too late! We can change his heart together! Even if he’s your father… No, because he’s your father!

noooooo let him dieeeeee

Oh my goooooooooooooooooood what’s going on with your goddamn face!?

No… He’s not alone! He has Shadows too…!?
You know what? I’ll let someone volunteer to take his place. Who knows, you might delay his death.
drat you…!

Oh, that’s just the same as me. I’m going to take all the blame for our captain. I’ll die for him too.
This is what Shido thinks of Akechi-kun, even after making him help with the murders…!?

Uh, yeah, you already said that, Makoto.

(to Akechi) Here, I’ll give you one last chance. Shoot them.
Haha… I was such a fool.

...Don’t misunderstand. You’re the one who’s going to disappear!

Music: Alleycat

Fuckin’ sad music playing over your heroic sacrifice, gently caress you. You didn’t earn that.

You fool! Are you trying to get yourself killed!?
The real fools… are you guys. You should have just abandoned me here a long time ago… You would have all perished… if you had tried to face these with me weighing you down…

Akechi-kun!
Let’s make a deal… OK? You won’t say no… will you?
Why at a time like this…!?
Change Shido’s heart… in my stead… End his crimes… Please…!

I kind of want to do it less now that you’re asking me, jeez. Fine, whatever.

Akechi smiles and nods.

Ha!

Music: The Spirit

It’s Akechi, everyone! The charming Detective Prince you all know and love! He’s voiced by Robbie Daymond!

(A funny thing here is that Akechi is the only Confidant in the game to give no permanent benefit, if we acknowledge that Sae’s “?????????????” just means that we get to keep playing the game. Lol, Akechi was worthless to the end)

Music: Alleycat

JESUS

Not bad.

Isn’t there some way to get this open, Mona…?

I’m only getting… the weaklings…

Welp, too bad, let’s go.

No...
Come on, you guys! We can’t let a rotten criminal like Shido do what he wants any longer! We can’t… no matter what!

Part 170: 12/7: A Murder Of Crows

Now, before we go, it’s time for...

Did you know? According to some tweet I read once that I never saw any other substantiation for, apparently data miners found evidence that Akechi was originally intended to have his own Palace! This would probably have been very early in development, I assume. Pretty weird, right? Oh well! Anyway, that’s the end of Akechi. Let us never speak of him again.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Some notes: short update today, but I really wanted to make this its own thing. Also, because the title of this update is technically such a spoiler that I had to put it at the very end, I have listed this update in the table of contents under the title "[redacted]". Not the most elegant solution, but normally my spoiler titles are more weird and opaque until you know what I'm referring to, and while I love the title I came up with here, it definitely gives the game away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Oh good, I can finally post this: