Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 13: 4/20: Castle Crashers

We’re finally heading into the Palace today.

Music: Suspicion

We basically just have to go to that castle and steal the treasure from Kamoshida, right?
But wait, what even is a Treasure? I wanna know that before we do anything.
A Treasure is the physical form of the Palace ruler’s distorted desires. In other words, it’s the core of the Palace. Once we steal it, the Palace will crumble… I think. Having said all that, even I don’t know what Kamoshida’s Treasure is going to be.
And where can we find it?
There’s no way of knowing that until we go in and find out. But if I had to guess, I’d say he has it locked up somewhere in the depths of the Palace.
Eh, I think I get it now. We just gotta find the Treasure, yeah?
Pretty much. There’s just a lot we won’t know until we go in… In any case, our objective is to find the Treasure’s location somewhere in the Palace. Make sure we go about this with time to spare so we can avoid any unforeseen circumstances. ...I expect great things from you guys.

We can “check our progress” with the Hold Meeting option, or just select Infiltrate Palace now and head on in.

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves

I think I’d feel a lot better about Ann and her costume if this game wasn’t so drat thirsty over her.

Hm? What’s up?
N-Nothing. I was just thinkin’ we should choose a code name for you too.
A code name?
I’m Skull, he’s Joker, and that’s Mona.
Judging by your costume...
I mean, she’s got that tail and stuff, so… Whadda you think, Maaku?

What do you wanna be called, then?
Um, something better than just a little cat… Maybe… “Panther”? That sounds pretty cool, doesn’t it?
Huh? Why?
‘Cause it sounds more… ferocious?
She’s a cougar...!
Don’t call me that! More importantly, Kamoshida…!
Oh, right. Let’s go!

It’s game time from this point forward. I’ll teach you guys the basics of infiltrating a Palace as we go.

My master would like a word with you.
*nods*

Music: Aria of the Soul

Well done. It seems you have remembered my words… You truly make it worth rehabilitating you.

*chuckle* I am not attempting to withhold information from you. The essence of the rehabilitation that you must complete will be explained in due time. Once you encounter friends who share your aesthetics and discover your place in reality…

This game has an interesting sense of the word “aesthetics.”

I mean, I guess that works. Sort of.

...Only then, will I explain it all. Such a day should not be far off. This time, I wish to introduce you to the aid we are providing.

Due to your potential in wielding the power of the wild card, you can handle more than one Persona. That power holds infinite possibilities. We will assist you in nurturing that potential. ...To that end, we must execute your Persona.

Well, that’s morbid.

*chuckle* Do not be alarmed. Personas are personalities that exist within you… Thus, you will only be discarding old personalities to have them be reborn as new ones.

Think of it as the fusion of your Personas. Now then, let us try an actual Persona fusion.

By fusing together multiple Personas, we can create a new one at the cost of the old ones.

To start, select the first Persona you want to use.

Do you remember how I mentioned forming bonds with Confidants? Personas are the power of the heart… The stronger those bonds, the stronger your Persona will be. In other words, the effect of your bonds on execution… or fusion, if you will, are quite substantial. When you fuse a Persona that shares its arcana with one of your bonds, it will gain great power.

So, when we fuse a Persona of the same arcana as our Confidants, the resulting Persona will gain bonus experience. This boost, called Arcana Burst, increases with the rank of the related Confidant. This is a big help because Personas require much more experience to level up than party members.

This will be a guiding principle for your forays into fusion… Try not to forget it. Moreover, there is one thing I must warn you about. You cannot create a Persona that surpasses your current level. This is because the resulting Persona would be too powerful for you to handle effectively.

This is a straight-up bullshit gameplay contrivance, for the record. It only applies during the original fusion (or negotiation). If the Persona is resummoned in NG+ or gains experience beyond your level through Arcana Burst, it doesn’t apply.

Now then, check the fusion results and choose a Persona that suits your stature.

So, we select two Personas...

When fusing a new Persona, you can select skills for it to inherit from the base Personas.

This Agathion seems good.

But let’s give it Zio from Pixie for good measure. It’s already about to learn a Physical skill and there isn’t much use for Curse this early in the game.

Are you certain this Persona is acceptable?

Bye, Arsene.

*diabolical laughter*

Though I may disappear this moment, I shall always be at your side. We shall meet again… when your fate reaches its conclusion. *diabolical laughter*

That scene always plays the first time you fuse Arsene, whenever it might be.

JESUS

I’m Agathion. I’m gonna be your new mask now! Use me, use me, use me!

I don’t say it enough but these new Persona models are really excellent across the board.

A stronger Persona has been born from the body and blood of the old. It shall be your new strength.

You better understand it at once! You’ll end up dead if you don’t master it.
Gather Personas, and bring them here. Gather a great many, execute them, and continue to give birth to even stronger Personas. Developing your powers as such will play an integral role in the stand against ruin.
So that your rehabilitation goes well, we have a variety of rituals to choose in regard to executions.
And depending on the effort you put in, our master might consider further development of new rituals. Cry your tears of joy, Inmate!
Your heart is steadily gaining the strength of rebellion. IT seems your rehabilitation is proceeding smoothly—a joyous fact, indeed… In anticipation of this, I have prepared a gift for you. I hope that you shall accept it.
I feel a deepened connection with Igor...

Now we can see hidden secrets in the environment.

That is a thief’s skill, allowing one to tap into their sixth sense and see what is hidden in the dark. I believe you can handle it now. May you continue devoting yourself to further rehabilitation.
...Now then, if you have any requests, we will heed them.

Actually, we’ll just head out. Seeya Igor.

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves

To my teammates, it looked like I wasn’t moving…
Why’re you spacin’ out like that? ...It’s kinda hard to tell what you’re thinkin’ sometimes.
Let’s just say he’s a man of high caliber.

Uh, sure. Let’s go with that. As we also saw in Persona 3, the Velvet Room is not a physical place, and when you “enter” it, to everyone else you’re simply zoning out.

We’re counting on you, Joker!

Let’s head to the safe room we found last time. It’s in the first floor of the west building. That’s pretty close to our usual entrance. It should be a pretty decent starting point.
Safe room…?
It’ll make sense when you see it. Welp, let’s head out!

This is a godsend for moving through the Palace, especially if you’re forced to leave and come back. We’ll be trying to get through this Palace in a single day (operative word there being “trying,” because oh boy) but even so just being able to pop out from a safe room and hit up the Velvet Room is great.

There’s also this weird thing. We can get help from other online players occasionally. Very occasionally. So occasionally that I don’t even really remember most of the situations it’s useful for. We get three help requests per dungeon visit and that’s it, though, and we’ll be seeing at least one of those potential situations within this Palace.

We can steal goodies from environmental features that glow using Third Eye.

It’s just more loot to sell at Untouchable, but hey, more cash is always nice.

It’s a gap in the cognition. A safe room, if you will.
Yeah, still not getting it.
Right? Uhhh, I’m fuzzy on the details, but I think it’s some kinda spot where Shadows can’t find us.
Huh… I didn’t think a place like that existed in here. So, what do we do in this “safe room”?
Take a break, duh. Oh, and we talk about stuff too.
Huh… Those are important. I guess I’ll rest for a bit too then. Let me know when we’re ready to head out, Joker.

Time to get to work. I’ll be explaining enemies’ gimmicks and some of their weaknesses.

This Bicorn is weak to Electricity and uses mainly Physical strikes, while the Pixie primarily heals and uses Electricity, and is weak to Gun and Curse.

Ryuji can hit the Bicorn’s weakness easily, then Baton Pass over to Ann. Morgana still doesn’t know Baton Pass, which is going to be something of an issue for his usefulness in this Palace.

Ann’s gun also has an interesting gimmick. She has an SMG with more than double the amount of bullets anyone else has, but no way of controlling which enemy she targets, forcing you to fire repeatedly until you hit your mark.

Ann’s finisher is something, all right.

These Incubuses are prone to using Life Drain repeatedly to suck health from your party members and give it to themselves. They’re weak to Gun and Bless, the latter of which we have no source of as of yet.

They also have massive spiky dicks because SMT is weird.

And here’s Ryuji’s finisher.

Oh well… Guess we just gotta ambush it from behind again…
Well sure, if you want to go about it the orthodox way. But there’s a more stylish route!

Once it’s in range, jump on it and rip its mask off!
Whoa… That does sound pretty drat cool...
Hey! This isn’t a movie!
Joker, with your poise, you should be able to finish it off. Give it a try!

This is a lot of tutorial text for the act of hiding behind a couch. The controls for moving around cover aren’t great, for the record. They’re much too sensitive and I often find myself flipping around my hiding place trying to return to where I was.

But hey, guaranteed ambushes are pretty great.

These Agathions use Wind and are weak to Electricity.

These Silkys, on the other hand, use Ice and are weak to Fire… and Electricity. Noticing a pattern here?

Further in, we come to a room with bars blocking the inside.

If he’s protecting it this securely, it has to be important. That means there should be a way in and out of there. Joker, do you think you can solve the mystery of this room? I’m sure your observation skills will help you get through!

If it wasn’t obvious enough, we need to use Third Eye to see these footprints and the glow of the switches.

Pull the first switch...

...run to the opposite side of the room...

…and do the same thing.

The bars recede.

Whoa...
As expected from you, Joker!

It’s a trap! The bars drop back down and a Garrador drops from the ceiling!

...Not really.

You’re hopeless… Don’t you realize how vital a map is?

It’s a true necessity for a phantom thief. This should make securing a route much easier.
Wait, does it say where the Treasure is on there?
Oh… Actually, it seems like this map is incomplete… There might be more of them around.
Mkay, let’s start checkin’ what we can. We’ll prolly find another map along the way somewhere.

Further in, we return to the entrance hall, where we’re forced to climb above to the rafters.

From there, we jump across the chandeliers...

...Right into an enemy trap. Sometimes enemies will just sprout out of thin air at set points and gently caress you up.

Not only do they get to go first, we can’t escape. It’s a rough situation all around.

After dealing with that and returning to solid ground, we find a safe room and a treasure chest.

It needs a Lockpick… We have 1 of those. Want to open it?

We have to use a Lockpick to open this chest. What’s in it?

Straight garbage, that’s what. The Gold Breastplate is barely better than Ryuji’s default armor, and with half the evasion. It’s designed to be sold to Unbreakable along with that Onyx, which is vendor trash. Oh, hey, that was also our last Lockpick, meaning we can’t open any of the other chests in here either! Great!

Hey… Look to the left… There are some Shadows here too. Now, you can’t just blindly rush into a fight. First you need to ascertain how strong they are.
How’re we supposed to do that?
Well, we’ll need to observe the enemy’s actions and get some insight into their skills. That should be possible for you, Joker.

This nearby enemy is yellow, so it’s the same level as us. Using this is handy because it lets us know what kind of enemy we’ll face, which is useful if you’re trying to conserve SP and skip fights like we are. Through this, we can game our encounters to only fight enemies we want or need to for Personas or experience.

These Kelpies use Wind skills and are weak to, guess what, Electricity, but also have the annoying habit of summoning more of themselves. If you can defeat them quickly enough, it’s more experience for little cost, but they can also overwhelm you if you’re not careful.

There’s also this Berith, too strong for us to grab just yet, but it’s weak to Ice.

He’s also capable of loving us right up.

Further in we pick up this Snuff Soul, which restores 50 SP and we’re going to be saving for a later dungeon, because 50 SP is massive at this point in the game.

Door’s locked.

Th-The hell…? It ain’t openin’!
Wait… I can hear a faint breeze blowing in from somewhere… Is there another way through?

We can climb on top of the bookshelves to this vent.

From there, we can crawl through.

Uh, there’s a guard there...
That’s OK. Hey, Joker, do you think we can ambush it from here? It should be the same as hiding and jumping toward an enemy. Give it a try.

Morgana’s just trying to tell us that we can also ambush from above.

I don’t have anything to say about this shot, I just happened to stop on this frame and thought you all should see it.

Anyway, let’s beat the piss out of this enemy.

We don’t quite manage to kill it (because it’s invincible for the purpose of this tutorial). Instead, it starts talking to us.

We ask it for an item and send it on its way.

Shadows have emotions too, you know. Of course they’ll be afraid if you corner them like that. It might be worth purposely creating such situations to get them begging for their lives.

This Muscle Anklet raises Strength by 2, so we slap it on Ryuji.

Finally, we hit another saferoom. This update’s getting a bit long in the tooth, so we’ll resume next time. We’re doing relatively well on SP, for the most part, but we’ve already spent a good portion of our healing, so we’ll need to be careful if we want to complete the Palace in a single day.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Arist posted:

I don’t say it enough but these new Persona models are really excellent across the board.

They sure are. Another great thing about fusing personae in this game is that they all, to my knowledge, have a unique awakening that more or less completely fits who they are supposed to be, or at least seem to. Agathion here, for example, seems like an overeager kid who can't wait to start busting faces; another persona might sound completely different, more regal, comical, sinister, or what have you. There are no repeats that I've seen; the only such effort to differentiate personae in the past have been with Jack Frost and all of his offshoots, and only then to incorporate that "hee-ho" thing they do. It's really cool, and the only drawback in this sequence is that you lose Arsene in finding it out (and I'm pretty sure you have to use him here, if you don't want another persona you could easily acquire through adventuring at this point).

I do have to wonder how they haven't by this point incorporated actually going to the Velvet room a little bit more seamlessly in dungeon-crawling times... or better establish why the various Persona teams are OK with a leader who spends long moments just staring into space and possibly giggling for no reason apparently discernible.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Arist posted:

And here’s Ryuji’s finisher.

Ryuji, you could not be more wrong about that if you tried. :allears:

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

"Aesthetic" is certainly a translation of what Ryuji said.

While that's one of the literal translations of the term, it doesn't have the same connotations as 'aesthetic' has in English: a better way for Ryuji to put it is "That's just how I roll" or "that's my style."

But then again I'm sure we don't want to get bogged down into a discussion of how the sasuga is made.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Arist missed the most important part of Ryuji's finisher: He faceplants before it. Every time. A true hero. :allears:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So are the Chests and the contents inside that you have to spend lockpicks on completely RNG-based?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The unlocked chests are definitely set, the locked ones might be random but I doubt it. I have no idea what's in any of the other locked chests for the record.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Arist posted:

The unlocked chests are definitely set, the locked ones might be random but I doubt it. I have no idea what's in any of the other locked chests for the record.
Locked chests are definitely set as well.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Yeah, oh boy
The first Palace is probably fine for a starter dungeon.
But boy does it wear you down if you want to do it in one day.

Finishers are great, never get tired of seeing them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
When I first played this, I was cruisin' through the palace until Berith rolled in and hosed me up repeatedly. It's a really jarring jump in difficulty when a random shadow can just oneshot a party member with a physical attack.

I think you're supposed to use a silky for it, or fuse a lilim and hope Ryuji crits them with rebellion. Either way they survived an all-out attack so Morgana and Ann had to waste sp healing somebody from 1% back to maximum every single time. Kamoshida's palace has sudden weird difficulty jumps like that which forced me out when I was 3/4th of the way through and out of resources.

In retrospect I should have abused the vending machine drinks more to conserve sp but eh.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

resurgam40 posted:

They sure are. Another great thing about fusing personae in this game is that they all, to my knowledge, have a unique awakening that more or less completely fits who they are supposed to be, or at least seem to. Agathion here, for example, seems like an overeager kid who can't wait to start busting faces; another persona might sound completely different, more regal, comical, sinister, or what have you. There are no repeats that I've seen; the only such effort to differentiate personae in the past have been with Jack Frost and all of his offshoots, and only then to incorporate that "hee-ho" thing they do. It's really cool, and the only drawback in this sequence is that you lose Arsene in finding it out (and I'm pretty sure you have to use him here, if you don't want another persona you could easily acquire through adventuring at this point).

I do have to wonder how they haven't by this point incorporated actually going to the Velvet room a little bit more seamlessly in dungeon-crawling times... or better establish why the various Persona teams are OK with a leader who spends long moments just staring into space and possibly giggling for no reason apparently discernible.

I'm drat sure I've seen a repeat, but theres so many personality types for the lines now or something that its hard to notice.

Haifisch posted:

Arist missed the most important part of Ryuji's finisher: He faceplants before it. Every time. A true hero. :allears:

He doesnt even need a stage to dive off to do it either, unlike Yosuke.

Deltasquid posted:

When I first played this, I was cruisin' through the palace until Berith rolled in and hosed me up repeatedly. It's a really jarring jump in difficulty when a random shadow can just oneshot a party member with a physical attack.

I think you're supposed to use a silky for it, or fuse a lilim and hope Ryuji crits them with rebellion. Either way they survived an all-out attack so Morgana and Ann had to waste sp healing somebody from 1% back to maximum every single time. Kamoshida's palace has sudden weird difficulty jumps like that which forced me out when I was 3/4th of the way through and out of resources.

In retrospect I should have abused the vending machine drinks more to conserve sp but eh.

Thats what you get for underestimating the Ars Goetia.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 20, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why does everyone have different brightly colored gloves?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mzbundifund posted:

For most characters (Ann is one of the exceptions) the gloves match the color of the element they use.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

People think it's a nod to sentai shows. Red is the leader, Pink is the chick, etc. Hopefully, we get Featherman costume DLC eventually.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Joker having red gloves is significant because he was captured in the opening scenes of the game.

He was caught red-handed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

It's hard to tell from this angle, but yeah, that's an unconscious teenage girl in a catsuit with her rear end in the air. :yikes:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

It's hard to tell from this angle, but yeah, that's an unconscious teenage girl in a catsuit with her rear end in the air. :yikes:

Wait till she gets knocked down.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

I think I’d feel a lot better about Ann and her costume if this game wasn’t so drat thirsty over her.

Yeah, I agree. Either tone it down or take it up to the point of comedy. All the party members keep hitting on her! Shadows occasionally profess their love to her. Some of your Persona grow stronger when in a battle with her, etc.

Arist posted:

A stronger Persona has been born from the body and bloody of the old. It shall be your new strength.

Just blood right?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Arist posted:

Shadows will only beg if they’re the only one left. We ask it for an item and send it on its way.

I'm pretty sure they'll still beg when there's multiple shadows remaining. It's just really rare.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MythosDragon posted:

Wait till she gets knocked down.

So that's what everyone was alluding to earlier. I just thought her attack animations were ridiculous or something.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So that's what everyone was alluding to earlier. I just thought her attack animations were ridiculous or something.

Those are also...questionable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Here's what it looks like when Ann is knocked down, for the record:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Berith on normal is nasty. On hard they're a goddamn nightmare. At the level you're liable to be at when you encounter one for the first time, that Cleave has a pretty good chance of killing any party member in one hit. Even Joker, with the instant game over that implies.
There are ways to mitigate this, but you probably don't have any of them yet. Hell, I'm not sure you'd even have a Persona that uses ice attacks at this point. Silky has them, but you can't fuse or recruit her before level 6.

If you must start this game on hard, learn from my mistake and avoid Berith fights as much as possible. This is the real use of marking encounters by color--in most palaces that means an encounter with one or two specific demons that are meant to be impossible to recruit during this palace. For the record, level 9 is about where you'll end up near the end of the palace.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 20, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Montegoraon posted:

I'm pretty sure they'll still beg when there's multiple shadows remaining. It's just really rare.

If another enemy is frozen or something they might beg. I had it happen once.

Enemies begging is a great way to get personas because if you ask them to join your cause, it skips the whole question and answer part.

I mostly just ask held up enemies for money.

Oh and I followed the advice of not buying stuff from Untouchables.

And it worked really well. I had money, plus my combat efficiency was perfectly fine.

But I upgraded some of my equipment after a few palaces.

Mona and Panther are made of glass.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Arist posted:

Wait... isn't this situation really bad?

Sleeping restores SP though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If you keep everyone in the latest armor, you can do fine without spending a penny on weapons or guns. I do usually buy a gun if there's an increase in accuracy though. Gotta make those shots count.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Bliss Authority posted:

"Aesthetic" is certainly a translation of what Ryuji said.

While that's one of the literal translations of the term, it doesn't have the same connotations as 'aesthetic' has in English: a better way for Ryuji to put it is "That's just how I roll" or "that's my style."
leaked footage of an unused opening theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHnqF5PLP2w

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Wait... isn't this situation really bad?

Sleeping restores SP though.

I set up that scenario for the sole purpose of capturing that godawful pose. I turned off my PS4 immediately after doing so.

E: also I still would have won because Joker's Persona blocked Ice.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

The other thing about asking for money and items is that it ends the battle, so if you say, come across an enemy that takes a bunch of SP/ resources to beat, you can just knock them down, ask them for some cash and send them away. You still get some experience.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Blademaster_Aio posted:

If another enemy is frozen or something they might beg. I had it happen once.

I've flat out had them beg for their lives quite a few times when there was still three enemies left, none with any status effect. I was just much higher leveled then them as I was grinding out some cash at the beginning of a palace for a thing later on.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Arist posted:

You know, I had intended to make a post going into the character of Carmen from the opera and why I thought she fit with the themes of Ann's story, but didn't get around to it because I had a lot on my plate. And now I'm learning just how thirsty the game is for sweet, sweet teenage rear end, and I'm so glad that I didn't make that post, because I'm pretty sure that Atlus chose Carmen because she's a super-sexy seductress for their super-sexy teenage character.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Can I say something about Kamoshida? I think what makes him so terrifying, in my opinion, is the fact that he (and some of the latter villains, if to a lesser extent) feels like he could exist in the real world, no Palaces or Personas attached. When you boil it down to the base description (P.E. coach who physically abuses his male students and sexually abuses his female ones, who everyone covers up for him because he gets good results on the team he coaches), it sounds almost plausible, if slightly absurd.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Junpei posted:

Can I say something about Kamoshida? I think what makes him so terrifying, in my opinion, is the fact that he (and some of the latter villains, if to a lesser extent) feels like he could exist in the real world, no Palaces or Personas attached. When you boil it down to the base description (P.E. coach who physically abuses his male students and sexually abuses his female ones, who everyone covers up for him because he gets good results on the team he coaches), it sounds almost plausible, if slightly absurd.
It's not like the real world's had a shortage of scandals like that, like the one Kamoshida was based on(I think orenroren linked it earlier), or this guy you might have heard of.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Kamoshida is a relatively mild case compared to a lot of the stuff various places let slide for sports (see: the unfathomably awful rape scandal that Baylor University is currently involved in).

Things like this are still being revealed: this article is from 2 days ago!

Or Penn State and the whole Jerry Sandusky thing, which for those who don't know is about the university turning a blind eye to a serial child rapist.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 20, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

A lot of people worse than Kamoshida exist in the real world.

Really, someone like Kamoshida existing isn't some far fetched theory.

He's a pretty realistic villain, even if the method we're using to deal with him is not so realistic.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Junpei posted:

It's the Gaston type of villain. He is successful and charismatic and a bully, but people don't see him as that because they want to be cool like him. They certainly do exist in this world and they're hard to take down by talking reasonably to people who are taken in by them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ann is a very coinflip character. There are some aspects of her role as a character that are mishandled badly, whilst their are other parts that are done extremely well.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Montegoraon posted:

I've seen this happen as well.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Im really enjoying Ann myself, shes nothing like I expected. Her Social link is somehow the goofiest and 2nd most fun Ive seen so far despite being focused on the after effects of this first arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ann herself is a pretty great character.

The way the game and the majority of its male cast treat Ann is incredibly awful.