Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Alkydere posted:

you can't go hire some hitmen to kill the English-speaking VA, can you?

Look at this lack of dedication to the artform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This series is not especially well-known for crediting its English voice actors. We still don't know who Naoto's original VA was. The only English voice actors in the credits are the ones for the Phantom Thieves (including Akechi), Sae, Shido, Caroline/Justine, and the "Warden." It took like a year for people to figure out William Salyers played Tora.

e: On that note, I never mentioned who Lavenza's voice actress was; it's Carrie Keranen, the same woman who played Caroline and Justine, duh.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Arist posted:

We still don't know who Naoto's original VA was.

I am SUPER happy to report that she actually outed herself earlier in 2018 despite remaining anonymous for a decade.

https://personacentral.com/naoto-shiroganes-original-english-voice-actor-from-persona-4-confirmed-to-be-anna-graves/

I always wanted to tell this strange anonymous person what a great a job they did and I finally got to tell her on Twitter. :)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
eugh, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn replaced her?

i like McGlynn's voice a lot but it's really not a fit for younger characters

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I never played Persona or SMT as a whole. A Persona fan friend of mind told me to follow an LP of P5. GOTY, parts of the Internet said. Good music, other parts of the Internet said.

Me: "Well, okay, I trust Arist's LPs so let's give it a whirl---:stare:"

[Untold number of days reading pass] :stare:

And now I'm finally caught up. This is a wild ride and looking forward to reading/watching how this ends.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

eugh, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn replaced her?

Only for the anime, and apparently she did a decent job, in that it made the pretense that she was male actually believable.

e: Anyway, had no idea someone took credit for Naoto this year, that's neat

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 31, 2018

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

I forgot all of this and it's very stupid

This is a game where you use google maps to punch people in the id.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Oxxidation posted:

digital devil saga was kooky in all sorts of ways, and i miss it so

god is the sun, and he's PISSED

now eat people

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On real Igor's voice in this game. It's kind of funny it sounds near identical to Mr Burns.

Still it's sad they were not able to get Dan Woren back.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Alkydere posted:

I really don't understand why everyone is so confused by the old English VA not being hired for Igor. It's kind of obvious in retrospect.

The old Japanese VA died and Atlus saw a chance to make an *incredibly* potent twist that would be broadcast in front of the player and yet never realized because of meta reasons. So they grab a new VA for Igor, only he's really !Igor. No one notices until they're at the very endgame when it's revealed and suddenly the old fans are going "Oooooh shiiiit!" as so many little inconsistencies are explained and new players are given enough information to nod at the VA thing as being pretty clever even if most of it flew over their head.

But what do you do for the English VA situation? You want to keep the player in the dark but you can't go hire some hitmen to kill the English-speaking VA, can you? So do you hire him back? Well then fans of the series will know something is definitely up when the old VA for Igor is listed but someone else is speaking for Igor. The point of this whole twist is to have it be an utter mindfuck: you were working for the villain the entire time and while it's understandable that the protagonist, who's never met Igor before, to not realize that. However it takes a lot more work to make the player believe such a thing.

If you hired the old VA and had !Igor speaking in the wrong voice questions would be asked. If you hire two new VAs and don't immediately announce who the second is for, you shrug and feel it's some weirdness with the VA guild or personal drama between the team and the VA. You never realize it's to disguise that something's wrong with Igor.

Or they could've just reused the old voice samples they already had, like they did in Japanese.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Oxxidation posted:

For me, McGlynn's voice is so closely associated with the Silent Hill soundtracks that it's weird to hear anywhere else.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

use Igor's old voice but make him say "WAAH" all the time

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
we weren't really working for not-Igor so much as we were working with the stuff he helped us get

like, psychonauting all the people that #Millennials did was pretty much all about taking down, in Ryuji's words, "lovely adults"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I decided to go back and capture Maaku's sass as a gif, which I will add to the previous update. Here it is:

You're welcome.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Arist posted:

I decided to go back and capture Maaku's sass as a gif, which I will add to the previous update. Here it is:

You're welcome.

Man I can just hear him say "Pffft, really?" Nice work.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The VA thing is really clever, and apparently his initial greeting for the Velvet Room was different. What other things are there in the game where you can look back and say "oh, this makes more sense now"?

I don't know anything about the other games in the series so I wasn't really able to see much. Is there more stuff that's inconsistent with Igor's previous behavior?

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Qrr posted:

The VA thing is really clever, and apparently his initial greeting for the Velvet Room was different. What other things are there in the game where you can look back and say "oh, this makes more sense now"?

I don't know anything about the other games in the series so I wasn't really able to see much. Is there more stuff that's inconsistent with Igor's previous behavior?

Guillotine fusion is REALLY ODD when you look at previous games. If I remember correctly, most Persona games, Igor simply combines cards that represent each Persona into one card for fusion. This thing where it's not Igor, but rather the attendant(s) that handles Fusion, as well as the brutal and destructive method in which the prior Personae into one, is completely out of character from past games. The fake Igor doesn't have the proper power to fuse, so instead delegates it to the attendants, and they can only manage it by destroying the previous Personae completely and melding their essences.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

that's the big one really, in previous games Igor personally handles fusions, the assistant mainly handle recording personas for later fusions and handing out quests.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Elisabeth did the fusions in The Answer, and Igor's complete absence in Q means Margret does it most of the time.

The P4 anime just has Yu do it himself mid-battle.

Justine and Caroline do it in Q2, but they use some projectors they found and rigged up. So, the implication is that the guillotines were the Holy Grail's idea, and deliberately offputting. While the delegation of fusions was "Kind of odd, but with years of precedent."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I believe Margaret mentions Igor taught her how to fuse in Q.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Prythian posted:

Guillotine fusion is REALLY ODD when you look at previous games. If I remember correctly, most Persona games, Igor simply combines cards that represent each Persona into one card for fusion. This thing where it's not Igor, but rather the attendant(s) that handles Fusion, as well as the brutal and destructive method in which the prior Personae into one, is completely out of character from past games. The fake Igor doesn't have the proper power to fuse, so instead delegates it to the attendants, and they can only manage it by destroying the previous Personae completely and melding their essences.
As weird as the guillotine is, your description almost perfectly matches how the Raidou games handle fusion. Victor takes the fusion materials, places them in cages, adds liberal amounts of science and boom, new demon ally. So, while the guillotine is weird for those who have only played Persona games, veterans of other SMT games won't quite find the guillotine so strange.

Then again, the Raidou duology features Victor Frankenstein living in the very spacious basement of an antiques dealer (who doubles as a weapon merchant), Rasputin as a time traveling secret agent, and a quest to prevent Totally Not Isoroku Yamamoto from dying otherwise the space-time continuum gets hosed sideways. "Weird poo poo happening" is part of those games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 187: 12/24: The Audacity Of Mope

Music: Aria of the Soul

Please find them… Save them… This is something only you can do…

Well, let’s get to this. We’ve got seven team members to find, which if I know anything about JRPGs or this game in particular, probably means I get to edit a bunch of repetitive one-on-one conversations.

Here’s the “prison” we’re navigating.

Oh, hey Futaba! Uh, wait, I decided to do these in order, so can you just hang out for like ten minutes? Thanks!

First up is Ryuji, naturally.

Looks like we’re both somehow still alive and kickin’… But… where at?

Music: Regret

And remember how Shibuya was all effed up just now? But like, nobody was seein’ any of it… No, it was more like they didn’t wanna see any of it… What the hell…? So even all them people who were sufferin’, and cheerin’ for us to come and help ‘em… In reality, they would’ve rather just had everything stay how it was…? Did what we were doin’ have any meanin’ at all…?

Haha, you’re so freakin’ tough… Y’know, back when I thought we were gonna die without learnin’ the truth about all this… I kinda felt for the first time that maybe we hadn’t been doin’ the right thing… That maybe we deserved to lose… You get me?

Now that I’m thinkin’ about it, I started all this’cause of how pissed off I was. Maybe it’s never been about winnin’ or anything like that… Maybe all I was doin’ was just continuin’ my own defiance…

Gah! So whiny! Get your head in the game, man!

It’s… fine…?

I get it now… We’re doin’ this to make sure people don’t gotta go through the same crap we did. It doesn’t matter if they think we’re just or not. We gotta do what we believe in!

Music: Swear to My Bones

Yeah, and this is the last time I’m bailin’ you out, man. I can’t afford much more of this.

Thanks… Y’know, it’s kinda embarrassin’ to say this, but I’m real glad I met you. All right, I’m done gettin’ my rear end kicked! That shiny bastard acts like it’s some kinda god… I ain’t gonna feel good ‘til we deal with it!

Maybe they’re stuck in the same rut I was… You go save ‘em, OK? I’ll stay here while you do. It don’t seem like there’re any enemies around so I’ll be fine. And I dunno how to put this… but I’m kinda thinkin’ you should go see ‘em alone…

Thanks for the support, bro.

Next, we find Ann.

Thank goodness you’re safe…

Oh, yeah…

Yeah, we definitely all went to hell.

That means the hell that Shibuya turned into was all real… …… ...I’m so weak. When I thought I was gonna die, I… started trembling. I was just so scared. At hat moment, nothing mattered. The justice of our actions was the last thing on my mind.

Joker… You kept going even through a plan that might have ended up killing you. Yet look at me. I’ve always said I’m doing this for other people, but that didn’t get me far… Haha, it’s no wonder we lost. Maybe I should’ve just behaved myself and stayed out of all this…

Holy poo poo, I was wrong! Shiho does get mentioned after the Hawaii trip! It’s only been like forty hours since then, and the game’s almost over!

Ann is equally shocked to find out that Shiho is at all relevant at this point in the game.

...You’re right. I could never abandon her. If I whine like this now, I’d just be betraying Shiho… No, I’d be betraying myself!

I… I never want anyone to have to go through what I did! I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to keep looking forward. Things like dying or losing aren’t important now. All that matters is that I don’t return to my old self.

We have successfully played the role of Motivational Cat Poster to two of our party members. Hooray.

I seriously treasure being able to be a part of your team!

Gotcha, Joker! It would be a disgrace to the #Millennials name if we didn’t take such a big Treasure!

*explains*
OK… I’ll wait here. Please go save everyone else… It’s something only you can do…

Whatever. Let’s do Yusuke next.

As I expected, you appear to be safe… However, where exactly are we…?

Velvet… Room…? I’m not sure I understand…

Considering the state of the real world… it is hard to say that we were even remotely helpful… This situation… Can we truly handle such horrid circumstances? All the Phantom Thieves can do is change the hearts of others. However, the world outside has become a veritable hell. Nothing within our power can fix that…

...I’m merely acknowledging how powerless I am. The people of this world desired their enslavement. That isn’t all… They screamed at us for attacking the Holy Grail, defended it… Even the criminals whose hearts we changed became meek followers of the Holy Grail because of us. Were we truly that foolish, risking our lives for a result nobody desired…?

...That’s right. It wasn’t just for recognition from those we were helping. My purpose lies elsewhere…

I will forever treasure what you did for me. ...Very well! Just as art is meant to break boundaries, people should be saved even if they frown upon it.

Please don’t. I’m like halfway done with this poo poo and I really don’t need it to take any longer.

Being by your side truly gives rise to the greatest ideas!

Ah, yes! We cannot afford to leave reality in the hellish state it’s currently in. I will make use of my role as an artist and paint over the distortions of society!

I’ll witness with my own two eyes that this world isn’t bound by some Holy Grail.

*explains*
I see… As I thought… In that case, I will remain here on standby. I ask that you go save the rest of our teammates.

It’d be kind of nice if like, even just one of you guys came with me, you know! It’s dark and scary in here!

‘Sup, Makoto.

What a relief. You’re safe…!

Huh…? I, um…

Could this mean that the will of rebellion is no longer within me…? …… ...That may be true. We have to fight that Holy Grail again, correct? Could you imagine defeating it, Joker…? That monster has the support of the masses, and with it, nearly an infinite amount of power… I… No matter which way I approach the subject in my head, nothing points to our victory.

I think I finally, genuinely understand the pain my father and my sister were burdened with… Victory against a single criminal is meaningless… The true enemy is society itself.

Great things to hear from someone whose goal in life is to join the police force!

And even against that foe, you still have to try to somehow emerge victorious. I don’t know what to do…

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE

Believe… in myself… Hm… *chuckle* You got me.

Please don’t treat this like some deep, trenchant insight. I’m basically a walking fortune cookie at this point.

But even if there is no clear solution, I’ll just have to make one… with my own two hands. Before you guys came along, my life was defined by someone else, set on a path of someone else’s choosing… But only a true loser would live such a rigid life! I… I will win…

Good, because I’m really getting sick of this bullshit from everyone. How many more of these do I have to do?

I want the people of the world to see what you’ve shown me!

Right!

Shall we go? We can’t let our last big job end in failure!

*explains*
I knew it… OK, I’ll wait here. I ask that you go save the others. There’s no doubt they’re in need of your help…

Next on the docket is Futaba.

I’m relieved… Looks like we’re both still alive.

Am I really safe though…? Shibuya… What happened…? And… where are we?

I see… I guess my fears turned out to be true… The real world is a scary place… Pain like this can never reach you if you keep yourself cooped up indoors…

I know of a place
Where you never get harmed~
A magical place
With magical charms~
Indoors
Indoors
Indooooooooors!

Who am I to think I can tell the people what to do? I mean, I used to be a shut-in myself… Dammit… I just wanna go home…

Giving up would be too painful. You know, I think… I’ve changed. I don’t know when it happened… But I can’t… I can’t let people suffer like this, even if I don’t know them personally.

Grown…? Honestly, this all seems like a bit too much… But… But…

…… ...Nn-hm. I’ve known the right answer from the very beginning.

I ran from my mom’s death for so long… I misunderstood it… Everything was just too painful for me to handle. But… I never want to be left in the dark again! ...That’s probably why my Persona is a little bit special. Because I want to learn the truth. That’s how I really feel!

Atta girl.

...Thanks. I’m so happy. Like, so much that I can’t even express it in my normal words! Anyway, we’re going up against a god. I couldn’t even leave my own room before, but now we’re gonna beat a god. I’m so pumped! And wait a sec… I just noticed I got out of here on my own!

Whoa, you’re quick to act! That’s what makes you dependable! All right, time to get back at it!

*explains*
I knew it… I was getting some signals that felt like them… Anyway, I don’t sense any Shadows in here, Joker. You’ll be fine even without my navigation. So, I’ll be staying right in this spot for now. You gotta go save everyone else.

I’m so lonely…

Haru! My girl! How’ve you been? Dead? Well, we’ll fix that right up!

You are safe…! Oh, thank goodness…!

R-Right…

Although, it seemed like we were the only ones able to see it… You know, the moment I disappeared, I honestly thought I was about to die… But… part of me wasn’t afraid. I knew that was all I could do… and looked forward to apologizing to Father face to face…

First off, why would you think you would have to be the one apologizing to him? Second, why on earth do you think you two would go to the same place?

Honestly, I thought I had changed, but I realize now that I still have no control over my life… It makes me sick…

I’m sorry, I know you don’t want to deal with my whining…

To be honest, not only is your whining a breath of fresh air compared to everyone else’s whining, it’s kind of my job as your boyfriend to deal with it.

You’re going to try and defeat that thing again, aren’t you? Don’t push yourself to get me to come along. You can always leave me here if I’ll slow you down…

Oh, don’t say poo poo like that. You have a goddamn grenade launcher, you’ll be fine.

...That’s right. I was foolish to think you should abandon me.

I’ll never stop fighting for you, or our team!

That’s the spirit!

...I won’t give up anymore.

And Noir is back in business. Good to have you.

Before I met you, I had great admiration for the Phantom Thieves of Justice…

That is not something that we have ever been called before in this game, but okay.

And… it’s turned out you were exactly the person I always imagined you would be.

I’ve secretly longed for a situation like this.

We haven’t lost yet.

Now then, please gather in this room at once.
Hm…? What was that voice…? Joker, have you already rescued all the others?

Oh yeah, you were last. Uh, sorry.

Huh? You couldn’t find Mona-chan? But why…?

Where could Morgana be…?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Happy New Year, everyone! I totally posted this update at 11:30 PM EST to coincide with that and not because I put it off all day!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ringing in the new year still listening to Rivers in the Desert because goddamn.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I always found it very weird that this part of the game had no voice acting. Like you think you're such an important scene would have voice acting to go with it but no, is just the regular clips. Seems like a waste. :shrug:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I always found it very weird that this part of the game had no voice acting. Like you think you're such an important scene would have voice acting to go with it but no, is just the regular clips. Seems like a waste. :shrug:

Why voice act lines that you can find in a Wikihow article entitled 'How to have confidence'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Coq au Nandos posted:

Why voice act lines that you can find in a Wikihow article entitled 'How to have confidence'

Yeah, it's very awkward to have three word replies to their paragraphs of revelations.

It works fine for tricking people into being more and more blatant shitheads on twitter but here it's kinda ehhhhh.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

AradoBalanga posted:

As weird as the guillotine is, your description almost perfectly matches how the Raidou games handle fusion. Victor takes the fusion materials, places them in cages, adds liberal amounts of science and boom, new demon ally. So, while the guillotine is weird for those who have only played Persona games, veterans of other SMT games won't quite find the guillotine so strange.

Then again, the Raidou duology features Victor Frankenstein living in the very spacious basement of an antiques dealer (who doubles as a weapon merchant), Rasputin as a time traveling secret agent, and a quest to prevent Totally Not Isoroku Yamamoto from dying otherwise the space-time continuum gets hosed sideways. "Weird poo poo happening" is part of those games.

I mean, 100% true. However, the fact that the method here fits SMT fusion rather than Persona fusion, combined with Igor not doing the fusing despite that being his whole purpose inside the Velvet Room, is incredibly suspicious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is it bad that I completely forgot about Morgana?

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, it's very awkward to have three word replies to their paragraphs of revelations.

It works fine for tricking people into being more and more blatant shitheads on twitter but here it's kinda ehhhhh.

It'd probably work better if everyone came to their revelations like Futaba.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's unfortunate that as much as the Igor twist was masterfully executed, the subsequent "save your party members from despair!" part is pretty half-assed. Not only is their no voice acting, and not only are they all more or less reading from the same generic script instead of having their own unique hurdles to overcome, but it's yet another goddamn retread of the "Party member asks Joker if they're really doing the right thing, Joker sighs in an exasperated manner and tells them for the hundredth loving time 'yes for gently caress's sake we are doing the right thing now shut up' shtick that P5 just won't stop repeating.

Like I get that Joker is supposed to be the glue that holds the party together, but at a certain point the naval gazing all the other PT's just keep reverting back to the second anything goes wrong is infuriating.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It just seems so half-assed and only adds credence to the idea that this game was rushed and unfinished.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
See. I was expecting them to have you have to get the rest of them with the two wildcards and the cat at this point

After all, if they didn't not die, why not Akechi?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You know what would have been cool? If they were all slamming on their doors, shouting down the corridor, searching their cells for a way to escape. Just about anything to show that they're not the persons they were at the start of the game and have found the strength to rebel on their own, without needing Papa Joker to clean everything up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Terper posted:

You know what would have been cool? If they were all slamming on their doors, shouting down the corridor, searching their cells for a way to escape. Just about anything to show that they're not the persons they were at the start of the game and have found the strength to rebel on their own, without needing Papa Joker to clean everything up.

I don't think the world is ready for a Persona game where the supporting cast doesn't worship the ground you walk on.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think it might've been interesting if the self-doubt and losing their rebellious spirits also involved their personas reverting into shadows that were acting as jailers to themselves.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, I don't hate the idea of this bit but it's not well executed.

Gruckles posted:

I think it might've been interesting if the self-doubt and losing their rebellious spirits also involved their personas reverting into shadows that were acting as jailers to themselves.

The problem of course being that this is a retread of Persona 4, although not a huge one.

If you wanted something that fit this game you could've had the relevant villain talking down to them in the same cell? Like Wakaba was tormenting Futaba.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Terper posted:

Or if they’d done the setup of Lavenza being all like ‘go find your friends, they’re in jail’ and everyone just strolls in after already having escaped because they’ve grown as people.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Coq au Nandos posted:

Or if they’d done the setup of Lavenza being all like ‘go find your friends, they’re in jail’ and everyone just strolls in after already having escaped because they’ve grown as people.

Could even attach it to whether or not you achieved rank 10 with them. If you did they free themselves otherwise you have to go help them because they have unresolved personal problems shackling them to the cell.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gruckles posted:

But Futaba's Shadow was supportive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But Futaba's Shadow was supportive.

all the shadows could be supportive and by the time you reach futaba she's already realized "yeah, duh" and found her spirit again

course at that point it's basically a retread of Futaba's dungeon 7 times, I suppose.