Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 188: 12/24: The Truth About Cats

Music: Aria of the Soul

Who’re they…?
My name is Igor. I am the master of the Velvet Room.
I am Lavenza, a resident of this place as well. We have been waiting for all of you.

My master has just been released from a long period of imprisonment. His powers have not fully returned. Though it may be presumptuous of me, I will speak on his--
Hey, where’s Morgana?
Would you like to see him?

That’s where you were hidin’!?

Morgana’s been awkwardly standing in that cell for like five minutes waiting for us to notice him.

It was to dispel an evil being from man’s spiritual world…

Mona…?
My role was to find the Trickster and help him defeat it. That’s why I was created here by my master.

I really remember everything. When this place was about to be taken over, my master gathered the last traces of mankind’s hope. ...He mustered up his remaining strength to make me.
The entity that calls itself a god is a malevolent will that forces man into everlasting servitude. It hopes to attain eternal peace by filling reality with those who have stopped thinking for themselves. ...That is the ruin of man that this evil god envisions.

An uncharacteristically spirited outburst from Lavenza.

It seems like most of the party somehow understood that last episode. Try to keep up, Makoto.

I was wondering why it had a will of its own, but are you implying that it isn’t a Treasure?
No. As the distorted desires of the masses, it is most certainly the core of Mementos itself.
Then… did the Treasure become a god because people wished to be ruled over…?
That is correct.

One—Goro Akechi—incited the masses’ distortion. Had he won, the world would have been destroyed and remade. The other was a Trickster who would stand up against this… That was Maaku Hamiru.
If Maaku won, the human world would be left as is… Those were the conditions of the game—at least, that’s what should’ve happened.

That malevolent being knew that a revolution would not occur within indolent humans. After all, it is the masses’ distorted desires incarnate.

He believed that a Trickster would rise among the people and accomplish this change. But that evil entity laughed at the prospect, and sought to prove the powerlessness of man with the game. And Maaku Hamiru had great potential… which is why is approached him. It helped train the Trickster, only to cast him into despair, using the masses who rejected their savior. This was likely its means to nip in the bud anything that would pose a threat. Now that I think back to when I was separated, I felt a disagreement to the word “rehabilitation.” Of course I did… It was just a means for the fake to keep you under surveillance.
Basically, this guy was dragged into a game where the evil god rigged the outcome.

We’ve been hosed over countless times by assholes making decisions for us, only to reveal they had their thumbs on the scale the whole time. This is nothing new.

Your real world has already been fused with Mementos. You do not exist because reality is replete with the cognition of those who deny the Phantom Thieves. It can be said that the world is one step away from the evil god’s machinations. However… there is still hope. Maaku Hamiru. Now that the evil god’s identity has been exposed, you can see your rehabilitation to its completion. Only you can leave this prison, and save this distorted world and its captive people…

You must challenge the evil god and reclaim your existence in reality. Are you up to the task?

Fist pump, nice.

The Phantom Thieves nod.

Igor claps in amusement.

There is nothing to fear. You already possess the strength to oppose this evil god.

Morgana, please guide them. And thank you for all that you’ve done. It’s a cruel responsibility that’s been cast upon you…
I will accept your words of appreciation fully when everything is over. Now follow me!

That’s our exit. Come on, let’s go.

Music: Disquiet

Huh? We’re back in Shibuya again!?

The party instantly vanishes aga—just kidding.

Oh, right… This is where we were when our bodies disappeared.
It seems like people still haven’t realized that this abnormality has taken over the city…

If I remember correctly, this is that Quarantine Cell…

You did say you were born in there… It makes so much sense now.

It does?

Wait… So if we came outta there, does that mean WE’RE the criminals…!?

How is that at all a new or novel concept at this point?

No, it’s more like Maaku! Since he was kept in here!

Uhhh, hi Morgana. You’re looking… radiant this afternoon.

The Velvet Room originally existed to nurture the human mind, but after it was taken over… It was sealed inside that bastard’s nest… Inside Mementos.

You’re shining…
It’s probably because my memories have returned. I know what my duty is now.

Wait a sec, wh-what’s with those weirdly-dressed guys?

I kind of remember seeing a silhouette of them on a jumbo-screen in the city…
The Phantom Thieves?
Oh yeah, that’s right! I completely forgot about them!

It doesn’t seem to be everyone though. Only a handful of people in this large crowd.
Maybe it’s ‘cause of Mona’s light!
Either way, they remember the Phantom Thieves!
The key of hope…
Mona, guide us. Where must we go?

The bastard from earlier should be in that temple!

And so we march toward the Holy Grail once more…

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Kind of weird seeing the whole cast in the Velvet Room outside of Persona Q.

Shame that no one ever bothers explaining what it is. :argh:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The being created from the hopes of mankind is a cat that turns into a car. :3:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doc M posted:

For me, McGlynn's voice is so closely associated with the Silent Hill soundtracks that it's weird to hear anywhere else.

For me swap out Silent Hill with the Major.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
There's just such a drastic shift here and it's so poorly executed, ughhhhhhh

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I was really expecting a repeat of the Teddy twist with Morganna, so at least I can say him being a weird offshoot Velvet Room resident is a surprise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DanielCross posted:

I was really expecting a repeat of the Teddy twist with Morganna, so at least I can say him being a weird offshoot Velvet Room resident is a surprise.

:same:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Now that I think about it, Morgana had the blue/black/yellow Velvet Room color scheme all along. Huh.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Without the eyepatch to make the face more distinctive, Lavenza just makes me think of a blonde Nanako.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, Morgana you couldn't stand beside Lavenza so everyone wasn't constantly looking back and forth at the two of you while you're talking?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GeneX posted:

There's just such a drastic shift here and it's so poorly executed, ughhhhhhh

Why nothing here has been bad and the Igor twist was cool.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bloody Emissary posted:

Now that I think about it, Morgana had the blue/black/yellow Velvet Room color scheme all along. Huh.
In fairness, Morgana's color scheme is predominately black, which sets him apart from the Velvet Room attendants who usually have a predominately blue color scheme. Morgana has blue eyes, yes, but they are not the primary color of Morgana's color palette nor what the casual viewer will focus on right away. Which helps sell the reveal that Morgana is a construct born from the Velvet Room in that, as you said, you don't notice that Morgana's colors are a match to the Velvet Room's usual color scheme until this point. And given that Fake Igor forcefully took over the Velvet Room, it also makes sense for Morgana's color scheme to not directly match people like Lavenza, the trio of Elizabeth/Margaret/Theodore (which the dancing game reveals are Lavenza's older siblings), or even the past attendants like Nameless, Demon Painter and Belladonna. Morgana was created as a last ditch response to Fake Igor's attack, so the real Igor probably didn't have enough time to get the details right, since I doubt it is easy to create a new life form while an evil god is flailing you around like a ragdoll or performing some other form of curbstomp.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Gruckles posted:

Miyazaki is the True Prophet of our Lord and Savior Catbus.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Dawgstar posted:

For me swap out Silent Hill with the Major.

Same. And also the first assassination target in Hitman, Dalia Margolis.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Turns out Morgana is still a cat.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Gruckles posted:

That nags you about going to bed now because you must be very tired.

The real embodiment of humanity's hopes is being able to get enough sleep even when you might be tempted to do otherwise. :geno:

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 2, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Morgana's always telling you to go to bed because he assumes that humans, like cats, need sixteen hours of sleep.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Okay, but why is the embodiment of humanity's hope so horny towards Ann???

On a more serious note, I thought Morgana would be echoes of Wakaba Isshiki that she made right before she got mindnuked by Akechi. Like it'd make some thematic sense that someone who was that important for the world building that also got screwed by the system to have been there helping you fight. Plus it'd provide some closure for Futaba too.

I'm also wondering if this bit was written early on, or if it went through a ton of rewrites. Like Fake Igor's plan feels like it's got a lot of inconsistencies. Like how it's supposed to be a showdown between Joker and Akechi, and yet Akechi got a few years headstart. Or that it's essentially trying to prove to itself that humanity sucks.

And even if you notice an inconsistency, the game has the convenient excuse of "Fake Igor rigged the game from the start".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

amigolupus posted:

On a more serious note, I thought Morgana would be echoes of Wakaba Isshiki that she made right before she got mindnuked by Akechi. Like it'd make some thematic sense that someone who was that important for the world building that also got screwed by the system to have been there helping you fight. Plus it'd provide some closure for Futaba too.

I'm also wondering if this bit was written early on, or if it went through a ton of rewrites. Like Fake Igor's plan feels like it's got a lot of inconsistencies. Like how it's supposed to be a showdown between Joker and Akechi, and yet Akechi got a few years headstart. Or that it's essentially trying to prove to itself that humanity sucks.

And even if you notice an inconsistency, the game has the convenient excuse of "Fake Igor rigged the game from the start".

it's definitely more consistent than a lot of other things in the script, "the game is rigged" was practically one of the taglines and all of the villains are people who have exploited the rules of society so that they can't be taken down by normal means while using and abusing those with less power and influence than themselves

at the pinnacle of it all is fake igor, who exploited that principle on a metaphysical level, and used a pissed-off futureless orphan kid as his main pawn

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

amigolupus posted:

because persona 5 is not a very well thought-out game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you surgically removed every stock cliche and overused gag from P5 the end product would be so much stronger it's unbelievable

every now and then you get a kernel of a good idea and then it's like "hey folks, here's a joke that was already starting to get tiresome twenty years ago"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I thought it was a well-established fact that everyone in this game is horny for Ann.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I thought it was a well-established fact that everyone in this game is horny for Ann.

including (and perhaps most importantly) the game's developers

Malah
May 18, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

When was it established that Haru was horny for Ann? That sounds like a hilarious Mementos convo.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Malah posted:

When was it established that Haru was horny for Ann? That sounds like a hilarious Mementos convo.

I don't think that one actually happened. They all make comments about costumes though. My favorite Haru quip is her saying "Is it just me or do the shadows pleading for their life really get you guys going?" And Ryuji just... Bugs the hell out

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine if this game had had a bit more development time, and they'd actually been able to show Haru's personality in the actual plot instead of random Mementos convos 99% of players will never hear ever.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I changed the title of the last update because I'm very lazy and wanted to use it for the next one.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

All I could think of regarding Fake Igor's plan was this comic

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 189: 12/24: Once More Unto The Breach

Music: Life Will Change

Just like on a heist day, Life Will Change will be playing near-uninterrupted during our ascent to the temple and in any fodder battles. Way to set the mood.

“Day of Reckoning,” eh? Let’s get to work. Our current location is known as the “Qliphoth World,” for the record.

In order to repay that debt, allow me to assist you and your teammates here. Please come to me if you are injured. I will heal your wounds.

Just like in Mementos Depths, Lavenza will now be waiting outside the Velvet Room to restore our HP and SP. Unfortunately, because everything’s turbo-hosed, we can’t go back to Untouchable or the clinic. We’ll just have to make do.

Time to start the climb.

Heh, it’s nice knowin’ there aren’t gonna be any bullshit traps or nothing this time! All right, let’s get movin’!

There are a few treasure chests with some mildly useful items in this first area, but it is devoid of enemies. Let’s just proceed to the end.

What’s up?
I’m sensing something up ahead…
I guess we can’t just go waltzin’ in here, huh… Whaddya say, Joker?

Careful! Enemy incoming! It’s pretty dangerous…!

Music: Blood of Villain

Those who wish to disturb society shall be slain on the very spot they stand.
You’re the one who’s disturbing it!
Dissenters must be destroyed.
It’s useless trying to reason with this guy! Let’s beat him and break through here!

Music: Keeper of Lust

The Herald of Death is a rather simple fight, so I won’t bother with a video. That’s the reason, yes, it’s not at all that a few seconds of my footage is corrupted and I don’t want to rerecord.

His skills are Deathbound (Medium Physical, all foes, 1-2x), Bloodbath (Medium Physical, all foes, low chance of Fear), Myriad Slashes (Medium Physical, 1 foe, 2-3x), and Megidola (Heavy Almighty, all foes). He gets two turns, but all in all this isn’t really that much to write home about.

However, he’ll start by summoning two Angels, which is where his gimmick will come in. These Angels are much, much higher leveled than their counterparts from way back in Kaneshiro’s Palace, and can use Tarukaja, Rakukaja, or Sukukaja. None of those are really an issue, but…

...they can also use Recarmdra, a gimmick from some of the minibosses in Okumura’s Palace. For those of you who don’t remember, Recarmdra is an enemy-exclusive skill that fully heals every other foe on the field, at the cost of all but 1 of the user’s HP. It’s pretty annoying, and means we should focus on the Angels first. Thankfully, they are still weak to Curse.

Music: Disquiet

Wh-What’s going on here!?

Took ‘em long enough!
I can’t believe they didn’t notice until the danger was so close to them…
Things are going to get even worse from here on out… The entire city has stopped functioning. At least they can still panic for now…
If people still don’t act for themselves after seeing all this… I’m sorry, but they’re hopeless!
In any case, let’s head to the temple!

Music: Life Will Change

Onward and upward.

The people in the city recognized us, so it’s only natural we’d draw the enemy’s attention as well.
Well they can bring it on! I’m startin’ to get fired up!

So now we have enemies to deal with.

This is Dominion. It uses Bless (including Hamaon), Ice, and can inflict Forget party-wide. It’s weak to Gun, repels Nuke, and blocks Bless.

As I mentioned earlier, Caroline’s/Lavenza’s healing will not restore bullets. Notably, your bullets also do not replenish automatically in between leaving Mementos Depths and entering Qliphoth World. We have two Reserve Ammo packs if we need them, but if you utilize my strategy of “gently caress negotiating, gently caress probing for weaknesses, shoot them until Oda Special’s crit buff knocks them down and then Warning Shot for easy captures,” you’ll probably be running low by the end of this “dungeon.”

This is Kali. It uses Psy, extremely strong Physical attacks, has a crit buff skill, and also can use Tentarafoo to mass Confuse the party. I lost maybe 150k yen at least in this place to bullshit scenarios where 3 or even 4 of my party members were Confused and throwing away 30k at a time and there was nothing I could do about it.

Also, no weaknesses, gently caress you. They block Fire and repel Psy, though!

This is Mot. It drains Electricity, reflects Curse, and is weak to Wind. It can use Concentrate to charge up its magic, use Megido or Megidolaon (Heavy/Severe Almighty), or just put the entire party to Sleep. This place has a lot of bullshit status ailment enemies, you’ll notice.

Here’s Abaddon, jesus christ. It drains Physical, Gun, and Curse, but is weak to Psy and Nuke. It uses extremely strong Physical moves exclusively.

Are you ready for this?

Music: Blood of Villain

Come on, let’s beat this one too!

That’s exactly what we want!

Music: Keeper of Lust

The Cleanser of Heaven is just a bit more complicated than the Herald of Death. Still not hard.

He’ll start by using Heat Riser and Charge. We want to get rid of Heat Riser immediately, mainly for the Defense buff aspect of it. He’s going to hit like a truck, don’t get me wrong…

...But there’s really not much we can do about that. We can instead take advantage of the game mechanics to make this dude a joke by just blitzing him down as quickly as possible. See, his only damage skill is Sword Dance, which is Colossal Physical, a step above Severe. That’s pretty bad, but luckily for us it’s single-target, meaning that we have a few safeguards. On the off-chance he targets Maaku, one of our party members will simply take the hit for him, in which case they will withstand the blow. Even if he manages to do this twice (which our strategy of “kill him in three turns” is designed to prevent), Futaba will just save the party with Final Guard. I can’t think of any possible reason this dude would be alive long enough to try it a third time, which means that you’re basically unkillable here unless you play like an idiot.

Ryuji learns Agneyastra, which deals Medium Physical to all enemies 1-3 times, finally replacing Swift Strike.

Makoto also learns Nuke Amp, which we replace Evade Psy with. I considered throwing away Energy Shower for it, but it’s a nice backup.

Music: Desire

H-Hey! That person… They just disappeared! Th-They turned into some kind of black fog…

Things are only getting worse in the city…

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I was joking before, but now I wonder if Fake Igor really was Thanos.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Poor random person disappearing will likely have the same vague fate as that dude that melted at the mere sight of Nyx in P3.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

We're even fighting some of the big four angels now, and they're not random encounters. We've hit peak Shin Megami Tensei, everyone.

Materant fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 3, 2019

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

We haven't gone on the warpath to fight YHWH Himself, so we're a little short of peak SMT. A false peak even.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Even though we likely won't be killing that fuckface YHVH, I'm liking this Neutral Route just because we get to cleave through those bastard seraph! :black101:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So are people waking up and de-merging from Bone Shibuya?

I suppose we'll just have to see.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Like with the rest of this game, I love and loathe this part in equal measure.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Glazius posted:

So are people waking up and de-merging from Bone Shibuya?

I suppose we'll just have to see.

Shiboneya, surely (wait no that's a rude and rather forward question now I think about it)

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I started watching the Persona5 anime last night and good lord I forgot just how horny everyone was for Ann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part of me wants to watch that anime because apparently they actually do expand on stuff occasionally, but I really didn't like the P4 anime, especially its interpretation of the main character, and never finished it. Maybe I'd be able to put up with the P5 one, but who knows? Also, lol, they're having to rush through the end of the game in two OVAs.

Anyway, update incoming.