Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wait, what dancing footage? Did I skim over this by accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Our Beginning was ok but somehow I just feel like that would have been the perfect opportunity for Life Will Change since the lyrics for that song fits perfectly with the events happening in this scene.

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Clarste posted:

Wait, what dancing footage? Did I skim over this by accident?

It was spliced into the Yaldy boss fight video.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Koorisch posted:

Our Beginning was ok but somehow I just feel like that would have been the perfect opportunity for Life Will Change since the lyrics for that song fits perfectly with the events happening in this scene.

Yeah this definitely felt like the time to pull the old "Anime OP fades in over the dramatic final fight" trope. Alas.

At least Satanael is pretty fuckin' neato. I also like this scene even if it's cheesy as gently caress. All your rank 10 confidants rallying the populace is a pretty nice touch.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Alex0080 posted:

Persona 4 Dancing used Reach out to the Truth for that instead of any of the boss themes, and it's actually possible to have a dance routine that fits that song.
I do a very slow version of the Commander Shepard shuffle to The Genesis

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Doc M posted:

I do a very slow version of the Commander Shepard shuffle to The Genesis

I just played a vid of the Shepard Shuffle at half speed while listening to The Genesis, and this checks out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sydin posted:

Yeah this definitely felt like the time to pull the old "Anime OP fades in over the dramatic final fight" trope. Alas.

At least Satanael is pretty fuckin' neato. I also like this scene even if it's cheesy as gently caress. All your rank 10 confidants rallying the populace is a pretty nice touch.

Apparently, if you haven't maxed out Mishima's confidant, an NPC takes his place for that whole scene. Specifically, the man with the floral pants.

Either that or I am very gullible.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Clarste posted:

Apparently, if you haven't maxed out Mishima's confidant, an NPC takes his place for that whole scene. Specifically, the man with the floral pants.

Either that or I am very gullible.

No, that sounds about right, I've seen screenshots of that same dude rallying Tokyo in place of Mishima.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's just been revoked. :getin:

But seriously, I wasn't sure how I felt about Yu summoning Lucifer as the personification of his bonds with his friends at the end of the Persona 4 anime.

I'm not sure how I feel about this either.

Well, those are different angels. Especially in SMT.
In this series, Satan is all about giving humanity the choice to destroy themselves. It's no fair if someone grinds you under heel, that's what the thieves have rallied against. Satan is all about the choice , and no set outcomes.

And what is friendship, but the ability to make stupid choices and persevere, together, no matter what?

Thanks, Satan.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's just been revoked. :getin:

But seriously, I wasn't sure how I felt about Yu summoning Lucifer as the personification of his bonds with his friends at the end of the Persona 4 anime.

I'm not sure how I feel about this either.

To be fair, it WAS foreshadowed:

Arsene, at the very beginning of the entire game posted:

What the hell could be more sacrilegious than summoning mega-satan to shoot god in the face?

TheFlyingLlama posted:

so the funny thing with this fight is that I just happened to be using satan for it

the radness of summoning satan to kill what is effectively the demiurge is lost a little when you were already using satan

I'm sure Arist will go over this for NG+ stuff but satanael is the most satan possible, by far.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Satanael, appropriately, is a Gnostic interpretation of Satan to counter Yaldabaoth who is a Gnostic interpretation of God. The most likely set-up they've used is that Satanael is the first angel created by Yaldabaoth, the false physical Creator, who is empowered by Sophia with true knowledge of the spiritual reality and rebels to free Humanity from their physical chains. Basically he rebels to free people from their shackles, as opposed to the other variations of Satan/Lucifer/etc who rebel out of jealousy or pride or hatred or anger. Alternatively he rebels because he wishes to rule humanity instead of God as the firstborn son of God, and it is his fall that grants humanity free will from all divinities.

Lucifer and Satan are other non-Gnostic interpretations of the same character I would assume, or different characters with similar positions in christian mythology. Satan in particular based on his Arcana is meant to be the Judge aspect of this character, the one who presides over hell and decides on what punishment is just for the sins one commits in life. Lucifer being the Star is likely representative of the actual first angel, the Morningstar who fell after rebelling against God.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 7, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*slaps joker’s head* this bad boy can hold so much satan in it

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Oxxidation posted:

*slaps joker’s head* this nasty crime boy can hold so much satan in it

There we go, much better.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Satan is more arguably Judgement for his role as lead prosecutor and tester of humanity; refer to Book of Job and Ha-Satan as depicted in OT.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BekNnnQbKno

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think the whole "story contradicting itself" re: people turning to the PThieves to solve their poo poo again isn't as bad as it first seems since I think it's pretty clear that Yaldabaoth isn't actually using the desires of the people to guide its hand, but in fact went rogue a long time ago from being hopped up on its own power, and is just using that as a flimsy justification for doing whatever it wants. I mean, it played a stacked game against itself, lost, then redefined the terms of victory, declared itself the winner anyway and did what it wanted in the first place. Yaldy had made its decision to erase humanity before Joker even set foot in the Velvet Room.

Just another lovely authority figure imposing its lovely will on people.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I think the whole "story contradicting itself" re: people turning to the PThieves to solve their poo poo again isn't as bad as it first seems since I think it's pretty clear that Yaldabaoth isn't actually using the desires of the people to guide its hand, but in fact went rogue a long time ago from being hopped up on its own power, and is just using that as a flimsy justification for doing whatever it wants. I mean, it played a stacked game against itself, lost, then redefined the terms of victory, declared itself the winner anyway and did what it wanted in the first place. Yaldy had made its decision to erase humanity before Joker even set foot in the Velvet Room.

Just another lovely authority figure imposing its lovely will on people.

Pretty much this, I think. It latched onto an idea and took it to the extreme

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to admit, I´ve pretty much disliked the plot of the entire game, mostly due to the bad presentation but seeing Satan executing the Demiurge with a giant gently caress-off gun loaded with the seven deadly sins really made my day.

EDIT: Hail Satan!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I have to say, I dug this too. Killing God* with Satan on Christmas is the sort of good time I want from video games.

Also, good for Mishima, getting his time in the sun. :3:

*Or the Demiurge, or however you want to spin this; I'm with Lord Magmar here, with the usurpation of a creator being because they want power/think they can do better. Gotta say, pretending the old god is really an impostor is one of the more creative ways to reconcile the Old and New Testaments...

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
So is Morgana broadcasting the fight on the city TVs? It may have been mentioned but I could have missed it.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Arist posted:

Akechi flips us off from beyond the grave.

OK, seriously, I would LOVE it for one of these "everybody unite behind the heroes" things to include a shot of their past enemies going "Nope, still hate you!" sometime.

quote:

At first I read that with a P in place of the N there, I've officially been on the Internet too long now...

And yes, watching Satan kill God on Christmas makes up for a LOT of the things annoying me about the game ending up till now. And I can't help but think somebody started with that ending and wrote backwards to justify it, in which case God(devil?)speed you glorious trolling bastard(s).

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Its not an RPG until there’s a montage of everyone sending the heroes their hopes and strength

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I've been wanting to echo this joke since I saw this thread open. Not only "Hail Satan", buuuuuut...

SATAN SAVES CHRISTMAS!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Miz Kriss posted:

So is Morgana broadcasting the fight on the city TVs? It may have been mentioned but I could have missed it.

It is hard to miss a fight that is going on in the center of Tokyo involving one giant monster, let alone two.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 194: 12/24: Goodbye To Cognition

You might wanna see someone about your face, Yaldy. It’s, uh… missing.

What power… It surpasses mine own… a god born from the wish of the masses…

drat that Igor… It seems he wasn’t spouting nonsense…

Man, what a sore loser. Izanami was really cool in comparison, she congratulated us and everything.

Right, Mona?
Thanks for everything, gang.
Mona-chan?

Humans have the power to change the world. They just forgot about that a bit…
Hey…

Everything was thanks to you, wasn’t it, Morgana…?

I got to be useful for humans that I admired so much. Nothing could make me happier.

Morgana closes his eyes and shakes his head.

Music: Desire

What is this…?

The members of the public are all frozen in place.

Return (Watch this)

Looks like the rain stopped…

Hey, guys!

Music: With the Stars and Us (Piano Version)

So beautiful…
Yeah…

Why’s everything--

...not just the Metaverse. It can be freely re-made… The same goes for you, and everyone else.

Ah, poo poo. Morgana’s turning into wisps of ethereal light, signifying his return to an abstract thoughtform and the cessation of his physical construct, will, and independent consciousness. Hate when that happens.

Mona-chan…!
This can’t be happening!

One where mankind isn’t held captive.

Truth be told, Maaku’s just thinking about how nice it is that he’ll actually get some solitude for the first time in eight months. God, finally the smug loud cat’s going away. I mean, uh, poo poo, sorry Morgana.

Music: Alleycat

Morgana…
Mona…

Mementos must have disappeared too…
We can’t see Mona anymore… can we?

It’s fine. I already know…
...What’re you all so gloomy for? Mona would laugh at us for it…
That reminds me, what about the public? Were we able to change their hearts?

It’s kinda hard to tell.

Let’s believe in the adults. Sis promised us, after all.

I still think we’ve learned nothing if we’re counting on adults to swoop in and save us in the end.

From here on out’s the prosecutor’s job, huh…
If we can’t enter the Metaverse, that means we’ve been relieved of being Phantom Thieves.
It feels a bit sad…

No wonder it’s cold.
Is this what they call a white Christmas?
It’s still Christmas Eve.
Christmas… I completely forgot about it…
Anyhow, we’ll have to see what happens for now. We should probably break for today. Let’s meet at Leblanc tomorrow, and have a final meeting on the situation.
Yeah, let’s do that.
...Hey! It’ll be Christmas, so why don’t we do a last celebration party!
I like the sound of that! There better not be anyone that’s got plans already!
It’s settled then!
Make sure you persuade Boss to let us reserve the story for the party.

We’re counting on you. Well then, see you all again tomorrow.
I’m worried about Sojiro, so I’m gonna head home.

Maaku apparently just stood there in the biting cold until it got dark.

Sure, go ahead.

With your actions, I can only hope that public opinion changes. ...It will change, won’t it?

I believe so, too. Shido confessed to a variety of crimes. We can arrest him on those charges. ...The problem lies in proving him guilty. It’d be difficult unless the correlation between the Metaverse and the mental shutdowns is made. Akechi, who perpetrated those crimes, has gona missing… You’re the only ones left who can testify.

Huh, tough break. Sounds like you’ve got a lot of work ahead of you. Welp, toodles.

...I’ll be blunt.

Oh goddammit Sae you’re such an rear end in a top hat

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I knew this was TWEWY all along. :argh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
idk I kinda like when the villain is an unrepentant rear end in a top hat to the end. One of my favorite moments in Tales of Symphonia is when, after beating the final boss, the party tries to console him and he just shuts them down and tells them to gently caress off because he knows he was still right, he just wasn't strong enough to beat them.

Also gently caress you Sae, what happened to all that "your job is done, not leave it to us adults" crap?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I knew this was TWEWY all along. :argh:

Beautiful words of inspiration from CAT

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I’ve been waiting over a year to point out Maaku is an anagram of Akuma, the Japanese word for devil. Congratulations, goons. Your silly voice actor joke accidentally foreshadowed the biggest and baddest of Joker’s Personas.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

I’ve been waiting over a year to point out Maaku is an anagram of Akuma, the Japanese word for devil. Congratulations, goons. Your silly voice actor joke accidentally foreshadowed the biggest and baddest of Joker’s Personas.

魔悪?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm just going to say that I effing hated that cat and I'm glad he's gone.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
His parents used different characters, but Maaku spelled it this way back when he suffered from eighth grader syndrome.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

Supersonic Shine posted:

An accident? Me using Mr. Satan's first name wasn't an accident.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm gonna run through the halls of my high school etc

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"hello, yes Mr policeman, I shot God in the head."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Arist posted:

From here on out’s the prosecutor’s job, huh…
One prosecutor shoots god in the head, another figures out Shido's trial and also tries to get us in jail again. So it goes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I should stress that Cassandra Lee Morris really manages to sell Morgana's lines here.

The rest of the supporting VA cast for Confidants helps with the "call on everyone you maxed out" bit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
To be fair to Sae, who else is going to flip on Shido? The conspiracy can make it out to look like some weird designer drug if it's just him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Glazius posted:

To be fair to Sae, who else is going to flip on Shido? The conspiracy can make it out to look like some weird designer drug if it's just him.

Presumably

Shido is gonna flip on Shido