Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
No, but 3 and 4's final bosses were both well after New Year's, so this still feels kinda early to be cut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

DanielCross posted:

No, but 3 and 4's final bosses were both well after New Year's, so this still feels kinda early to be cut off.

Well, in the case of 4, at least prior to Golden, you fought the penultimate boss right before New Year's and then it skipped to the date of the final boss fight that you had to trigger and all that, making you think that you had already hit the epilogue.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I mean, it's not like Sae forces you into it. She just says 'look, far as I can see, if you don't do anything, the Conspiracy doesn't get busted, if you publicly reveal yourself to be the Phantom Thieves, the police is going to target your friends, my advice is to take the bullet for your friends, turn yourself in'

However, there is the question why Maaku has to be the one to do it. I mean, Haru could just as well go and turn herself in to the police. She doesn't have the probation hanging over her head, and the police would probably be a bit more hesitant going after the recently orphaned rich girl with the army of high powered lawyers.

Alternatively, for maximum 'gently caress Sae' points, we could have asked Makoto to do it. And she's get some perspective on the Japanese Police Force.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Merry Christmas Maaku!

*Shoves him into solitary confinement and welds the door shut*

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

At this rate, I'm expecting Akechi to reappear at the last moment to either take your place, or be the game's super secret final boss. And as he goes away, sad music plays while everyone goes "Gee, it sure is a shame we couldn't save him in this version of the game, huh? WINK WINK"

GeneX posted:

This is a really bad reason for not giving us the ability to hang out with slinks in the postgame

lord knows it's terrible storytelling and entirely unfulfilling, so I assume their reason is "we didn't want to have to write multiple extra months of dialogue, you'll stay free in the remake when we aren't under a giant time crunch to finish this thing"

What really bugs me is that it seemed like the writers learned not to make the MC the only one who mattered, at least for the final boss. Satanael is like a spirit bomb from the people in Tokyo telling god to gently caress off, and that only happened because they all believed in the Phantom Thieves. It was pretty much a group effort.

So ending this incident so that YOU have to go to jail to protect the others, all without bothering to tell them or get their input, was really jarring. It was like the bit when the others were in prison waiting for you to give them a pep talk, when they could have broken out on their own. It's pretty much written so you, the player, would feel special.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lol turns out that society is corrupt and the innocent get arbitrarily punished by a system that cares nothing for true justice but only with cynical self-perpetuation

Who could have foreseen this turn of events?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

This I feel is a better place for a bad end than with Fake Igor, an actual choice about whether to turn yourself in or not and the bad end (Shido gets free, distortion continues, etc) if you don't.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Arist posted:

That guy was real annoyin’, but now that he’s gone it feels… y’know… Guess we really did count on him a lot.

why did ryuji suddenly put on his PT outfit

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sae is so worthless lol

There's literally no reason to believe her, either that she needs your help (she doesn't) or that they won't go after your friends anyway. What a loving mess this ending is.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally I can absolutely buy that without Maaku coming in and testifying Shido and the Conspiracy will manage to wiggle out of this whole thing thanks to the corruption going around anyway. Unfortunately any form of testimony Maaku gives requires revealing that he's broken the whole agreement that was made to keep him out of Juvie in the first place.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I knew Sae would betray us!

ACAB! ACAB!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At least Maaku really knows his way around a shiv.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Shouldn't Shido have confessed that Maaku's criminal record is bullshit?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Shouldn't Shido have confessed that Maaku's criminal record is bullshit?

The issue though is that he pulled strings so that by official records he has no connection to Maaku's assault charge.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
So hypothetically, if P5R were to include some way to have Akechi be a playable party member permanently, is there a way to implement that without feeling like a cheap dismissal of his crimes?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

no

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises
Yeah fair enough

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the way akechi got dismissed from the story was lazy and cheap but wrangling him into being a full party member would probably feel even moreso

bet it won't stop atlus from trying, though!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The Akechi that we dealt with during the game was actually Shido's Cognitive Akechi that came into the physical world via the metaverse navigator app. The Cognative Akechi inside Shido's head was actually his Cognitive Cognitive Akechi.

The REAL Akechi who is completely identical to the other Akechi but also conveniently and legally not guilty of his crimes is at the bottom of this 600 floor superdungeon.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Oxxidation posted:

the way akechi got dismissed from the story was lazy and cheap but wrangling him into being a full party member would probably feel even moreso

bet it won't stop atlus from trying, though!

Akechi isn't a cute girl with no previous attachment to the party or involvement in the storyline, so nah, they're not going to do anything with him for the remake.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kith posted:

why did ryuji suddenly put on his PT outfit

Ryuji is very tsundere about his feelings for Mona and had to hide his face.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When we destroyed the Metaverse, did we also destroy the Velvet Room?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

the velvet room is a separate thing from the metaverse, it changes form depending on the guest but the platonic concept of it always exists

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

That would probably kill the series.

Also, it seemed like the Metaverse was surrounding the Velvet Room rather than the Velvet Room being a part of it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 196: 12/31-1/31: Confide

Anon: I wanna help somehow…
Anon: ...And it was all a dream
Anon: was admin one of them?
Anon: will things improve a bit?

New Year’s Eve

They don’t even know. Heh. Guess that’s fine.

Some of the faces and animation in this cutscene are a little rough.

Was there truly a need to meet?
Our next move’s important.

Sounds good to me.

Let’s do this.

Then everyone starts walking off in different directions for some reason.

Music: Sunset Bridge

Why is Makoto in her summer outfit?

Now that we know the name, all we need is an address. …… You’re right. We’ll succeed if we all do it together. Sis has yet to say anything, but I believe she’s looking into possible actions as well. As for me, I will look into every viable solution. ...Thank you. Make sure you give my regards to Shiho-san.

Shiho mentioned again!

...Oh, could we try getting their help as well? I’m sure they would gladly cooperate. ...That would be a great help. I’ll leave that to you. ...Mm-hm. We’ll talk again tomorrow. Let’s save him, no matter what.

Looks like there’s a plan.

There was nothing wrong with his conduct! I was his guardian, so I should know best.

Hell yeah, Boss is standing up for us.

I’ve heard that Miwa-chan’s progress is going well?

I’m certain that this will help prove his good character in the trials. Please. I want to increase his chances of being found innocent as much as possible.
I see, so that’s why.

Thanks, Takemi.

You’ll all agree with me, correct!?

The faculty nervously look at one another.

Kawakami’s giving us all her support.

Make sure the guys in lock-up know not to let anyone lay a drat finger on him. Also, you guys know someone in Public Security, right? Won’t you introduce me to him? ...I have to protect him, using whatever means necessary.

Heh, Iwai is keeping us safe. What a guy.

I want to help a friend who’s innocent! He’s a really good guy! He always fights for the sake of others…

Uhh, a little strong there, Mishima. Also I’m not really sure you’re gonna get much done there with random signatures.

The reason why we were able to come to our senses is because he saved us! And now he’s in a crisis himself. I believe it’s our turn to save him this time! But our words alone won’t reach anyone… That’s why I need Yokota-san and everyone’s help! Won’t you please protest the police with me!?

Chihaya’s gathering resources for us.

I need testimonies from people to use in the special article in regard to him! Did he truly look like a boy who would cause an assault here? There is a discrepancy in the other resident’s testimonies and the court decision at the time.

It seems like Ohya’s hunting down exonerating evidence.

He is suffering from a crime he did not commit! He is a promising young man who will support this country’s future! What justice is there in a country without it being able to save such an individual!?

Aw, Tora… I’m gonna tear up, you jerk…

I really wanna go up against him, but I heard he’s been arrested for some crime he didn’t commit. But… I can’t help him out with just myself alone. We need tons more people’s voices, like on online forums and getting signatures and stuff! You have to say with me, that it makes no sense that he’s been arrested when he’s done nothing bad!

Uh… good work, Shinya. Yelling at a bunch of assholes on the internet will… totally help secure Maaku’s release. Yeah.

The reason I was able to escape from the fixed matches is because of his devoted support. However, such a young man with an honest heart is currently in juvenile hall serving an undeserved sentence…!

Hifumi’s spreading the word. Great job, Hifumi.

Music: Aria of the Soul

What an ironic turn of events because you wished for the fortune of others over your own well-being. Still… it will do. You chose the correct path with your own volition. You did not compromise your beliefs for personal gain to the very end.

It is the willpower to stand up in this world on your own feet, unswayed by no one.

“Unswayed by no one”? Uhh, I’m just gonna assume the double negative there is unintentional.

That will become the basis of hope toward a future with your teammates who share the same belief. Now that you’ve gained that power, you are no longer an existence that wanders alone…

...You were truly a remarkable guest.

Goodbye, Velvet Room.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do love this sequence as it is nice seeing the people you have helped out all game return the favor in a way that isn't just charging up your final persona.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hunt11 posted:

I do love this sequence as it is nice seeing the people you have helped out all game return the favor in a way that isn't just charging up your final persona.

There are so many people who are the best, to make up for Sae being the worst.

In Shinya's defense, he's a little kid. I'm not sure how much more he could do, unlike our Yakuza connection or the helpful politician and journalist.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Everyone helps in their own way. Hifumi leverages her fame, Tora gives a stirring public speech, and, uh,

Mishima shitposts about us in E/N or something

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I think that short montage of all your confidants trying to help you is one of the best parts of the game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Mishima's a good kid. I mean, yeah, he's a dumb gently caress up who tries way too hard and screws up a lot... but at least he tries. At least he puts himself out there and tries to make a difference instead of just giving up. He's come a long way from the mentally and physically abused kid who let everyone else push him around because it was easier to sit there and endure it than it was to take a stand. And he still has a long way to go, but at least he's putting in the effort.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Igor, you can't really say what kind of guest Maaku was. You only knew him for about 15 minutes!

I guess shooting a god in the head on Christmas Eve does make a big impression, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

By Philemon, I guess you are the room or something.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

I too would sign Mishima's Change.org petition

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

gmq posted:

I think that short montage of all your confidants trying to help you is one of the best parts of the game.

It really is, and hits on one of the (few) parts of this game that genuinely is subversive and revolutionary.

There are a lot of stories across media about people being unjustly repressed by the system- heck, it seems there's a Broadway musical to that effect every decade or so since at least the 60s- that work in theory (and catchy tunes) but not so much in practice, and when you examine them with a critical eye. Because these stories are generally about the oppression of the majority upon minorities, or the wealthy upon the poor, or an injustice that pervades the law and its practice... but wouldn't you know, the problem rarely comes down to the system, but an aberration of it- a single actor fouling the works, an event that muddied the waters, one thing that goes wrong that can be fixed by the end. Or even if it cannot be fixed, the problem is with the people inside the system, and not the system itself; the status quo cannot fail or be evil, but be practiced evilly or failed. So what you get is a lot of stuff where the violent revolution fails, but the overall feeling at the end is hopeful, because we all have each other, and we just need to treat each other a little better and things will be better. You know, that good hearted bullshit to get the wealthy who bought the story feel a little less guilty about being wealthy (and the beneficiary of a system unjustly repressing people, ho ho). And this game is clearly no different... except for this part here.

Because a subconscious message about a bunch of that revolutionary-but-not-really media is that power corrupts, and acting out against the system in a violent disruptive way will breed sorrow and suffering for all concerned. Violent revolutions will fail, strikes will be unsuccessful, and even those who acquire power eventually become part of the problem when they become as cruel and greedy as those they replaced ("You die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain," and so forth.) And thus people are encouraged to consider what power they have- martial, social, or political- and, well, throw it on the ground- to cast it all aside in favor of pursuing the Things That Really Matter(tm)- family, friends, pleasure, to form their own community if there is no place in the greater community. (Never mind that part of the entire problem is that some people cannot pursue these things, or form their own community, in safety because the system won't permit them, but that's another post.) But this part of the game, this one single, glorious part after all of the bullshit to get here, is better than that. It has the people that you've helped throughout the game help you in return, blowing their own personal horns, using their personal power, to do it. And it makes what could be the only really revolutionary point this game has- use your power if you want to change something. It may not be a persona, but it's a vote... so use it anyway. That is so refreshing to see, and yeah, it's one of the things that does wholly justify this purchase.

So there, I guess.

(And collecting signatures for a petition is in fact a legitimate way to get clemency for a criminal, so let's not dump on Mishima too much. Also, ans the past couple of years have proven, Youtube celebrity can be a pretty powerful force, so let's not dismiss Shinya either. It's nice seeing somebody trying to get somebody freed from prison, rather than... other things.)

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I was kind freaked out when I got to the animated scene here, because #Milennials were spending New Year's precisely in the same place I spent it 5 years ago. This is a game that makes one miss Tokyo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

I really wanna go up against him, but I heard he’s been arrested for some crime he didn’t commit. But… I can’t help him out with just myself alone. We need tons more people’s voices, like on online forums and getting signatures and stuff! You have to say with me, that it makes no sense that he’s been arrested when he’s done nothing bad!

Uh… good work, Shinya. Yelling at a bunch of assholes on the internet will… totally help secure Maaku’s release. Yeah.

Calling All Epic Gun About Gamers

This scene was pretty rad, though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Igor, you can't really say what kind of guest Maaku was. You only knew him for about 15 minutes!

Well, yeah. Have you seen the stumblebums Igor's had to work up to competent lately? Must be refreshing to talk to someone who knows their poo poo.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 11, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Awww, that was really sweet seeing everyone try their best to help you out. :3:

Assuming Maaku does go to jail, would there actually be any chance he'd get hurt in there? If the story spreads that he tried to take down a corrupt politician and they used their power to send him to jail, won't that make him more of a hero instead?

Leraika posted:

Akechi isn't a cute girl with no previous attachment to the party or involvement in the storyline, so nah, they're not going to do anything with him for the remake.

Ah, so that's what they're saving Shiho for in P5R. Truly the P5 writers have thought of everything. :v:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Something else to like is that when you reach Level 10 in a confidant they always say that they are there to help you if you need it. At the time it feels very "yeah, yeah, give me my max persona" but they really do come through at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All things said I'm absolutely expecting something like your transport truck explodes and you get snuck off to Takemi's office and she gives you a new face or something. I don't actually think the game would end this tone deaf, but I wouldn't be surprised.