Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

While it looks really good on screenshots, Morgana's cat portrait looks less animated than any other but I'm not sure if that's because it's used in like two scenes or if it's a limitation of it being the portrait of a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd say it's both: the cat face is naturally less expressive, and the reason it can afford to be so much less expressive is that the game is almost over.

e: I wondered for a long time why they didn't use the cat face for real world Morgana before this scene. Why make the cat portrait if you're not gonna use it? But I realized very recently when revisiting this scene to record it that they use the cognitive Morgana portraits until his cognitive self "dies," then switch to the realistic cat, which is kinda interesting. It's like his portraits disappeared along with that version of himself. Also again, the cognitive Morgana portraits can be a lot more expressive.

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 11, 2019

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
gently caress, I genuinely forgot Maaku even HAD parents.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Agaragon posted:

gently caress, I genuinely forgot Maaku even HAD parents.

He has Sojiro and in the end that's all that matters.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Funky Valentine posted:

He has Sojiro and in the end that's all that matters.

Coffee dad best dad.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I... kinda don't like Persona 5? I've never played them, only read the various LPs over the years, and this is the first one where I've ended up feeling like "oh." at the end. Persona 4 made a much better impression on me. Oh well!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dog Kisser posted:

I... kinda don't like Persona 5? I've never played them, only read the various LPs over the years, and this is the first one where I've ended up feeling like "oh." at the end. Persona 4 made a much better impression on me. Oh well!

it's got style to spare but under the groovy soundtrack and UI it's a stitched-together mess that shows its seams very badly

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Dog Kisser posted:

I found it a lot more fun to play than P4 (which I didn't finish). Getting tangible benefits for leveling up your confidants is great, and pre-built rather than random dungeons are a huuuuge improvement. But I agree that the overall plot is weaker, and if your only getting the LP experience, I can see why you would think it's worse.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This game suffers a lot from the LP format because it gives you a lot of time to look at its (very real very visible) cracks. When you're playing it all kind of works as a neat incredibly stylish package, with only the most glaring issues being noticeable.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Dog Kisser posted:

Same boat here. I 100% completed P3 and P4, but the structure was starting to really get to me, and the story in this game is making me glad I didn't buy P5. I wonder where the series goes from here.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I wonder where the series goes from here.
Good question. The stylized thief idea was great and is enough to pave over the games many flaws for a lot of people, but it sets the bar high for the next game.

I'm glad Morgana came back because I wuv cats so vewy much my wittle fuzzies I think it's lazy writing to pull a "welp can't figure out closure for the arc of supernatural character, Imma just kill 'em off." I think him getting to keep living as a cat makes more sense.

But man the Anne crush is so totally unnecessary especially when she's treated like a piece of meat in so many other ways by the game's story.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Gruckles posted:

Hey, transforming into a human thanks to a strong desire to gently caress worked out for Teddie. Not sure there's space for a bishonen to grow inside Morgana though.
I always assumed Morgana's human form would be a little kid, because he's short, he's voiced by a woman, and he can come off as rather immature at times. There's also something in there about him being a manifestation of hope and children being the future.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, the main Persona team went on to start working on some unnamed new Fantasy IP, and presumably Atlus isn't going to drop their money-cow, so P6 will probably have a fresh new perspective of some sort, for better or worse.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
So, I guess the consensus is "Persona 4: better story, Persona 5: better gameplay?" That's my takeaway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Yup.

And if you played the original P4 but skipped Golden, being able to straight-up pick fusion skills is worth a million plot missteps by itself.

E: I'd also say P5's non-party member s-links are more memorable overall than P4's s-links, although the same applied to P3 vs P4 s-links. Atlus is definitely getting better at that over time.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 11, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Morgana waited until now to show up because he was afraid there wouldn't be a party any other way.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And given they'll have a different director, hopefully the weird gross sex jokes and super tired cliche gags will not be in the next game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snorb posted:

So, I guess the consensus is "Persona 4: better story, Persona 5: better gameplay?" That's my takeaway.

It is more that the highs in P5 are higher but the lows are lower.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

So long as we're talking about issues we had with the game, I feel like most of the final personas for the group were less interesting than their original ones, including Joker. Having them all be thieves and outlaws was really interesting, and made them really unique to me. And then they just become gods/goddesses, just like all the other games. I wouldn't have an issue with it as much, except for some of them being re-used from other games. Yusuke's is pretty bad, but Joker's persona is basically just Helel, who coincidentally isn't available in this game. The fact that the protagonist's final persona isn't even wholly original is honestly really disappointing.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

It is more that the highs in P5 are higher but the lows are lower.
That is definitely my impression as well, coming from someone who has not played the game. When Persona 5 finds its groove, it is a very satisfying production and the player gets a rewarding experience. Conversely, when the wheels fall off the bus, Persona 5 really cannot shake the stench of bad execution and half-baked concepts. This is really noticeable once we enter Okumura's arc, where the rewrites and production delays unfortunately stand out the most. About the only consistent part of the game that I can point to is the soundtack. Meguro and company really put in the effort to set (and help sell) the atmosphere of the game, but alas, a good soundtrack cannot overcome problems with the rest of the game.

The only thing I hope is that P5R takes the time to at least patch up the weaker parts of the game. But, what'll probably happen is very little improvement on that front, and way more on the costume front, because deep down we all know that the Dancing Star Night costumes are getting ported over without hesitation.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thundersword238 posted:

So long as we're talking about issues we had with the game, I feel like most of the final personas for the group were less interesting than their original ones, including Joker. Having them all be thieves and outlaws was really interesting, and made them really unique to me. And then they just become gods/goddesses, just like all the other games. I wouldn't have an issue with it as much, except for some of them being re-used from other games. Yusuke's is pretty bad, but Joker's persona is basically just Helel, who coincidentally isn't available in this game. The fact that the protagonist's final persona isn't even wholly original is honestly really disappointing.

They become rebel gods which does feel like a suitable upgrade.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ryuji gets Goku which is rad.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Ryuji I feel gets the best upgrade, because yeah, he gets Goku. Yusuke's is still pretty bad, since he just gets Yosuke's final persona.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Makoto clearly gets it the worst, because it goes from cool bike she can ride to transformer bike she can't ride.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Arist posted:

I'd say it's both: the cat face is naturally less expressive, and the reason it can afford to be so much less expressive is that the game is almost over.

e: I wondered for a long time why they didn't use the cat face for real world Morgana before this scene. Why make the cat portrait if you're not gonna use it? But I realized very recently when revisiting this scene to record it that they use the cognitive Morgana portraits until his cognitive self "dies," then switch to the realistic cat, which is kinda interesting. It's like his portraits disappeared along with that version of himself. Also again, the cognitive Morgana portraits can be a lot more expressive.

Honestly?

It's hard to express animals' emotions with just the head/face, since body language (posture and tail behaviour especially) get elided from facial portraits. You can do something with eyes and ears just as with humans, but...

...I'm just gonna go with "the artists couldn't be bothered to do two sets of portraits for a single character, possibly for budgetary reasons", since they were clearly able to emote with Mona's cognitive form.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I know it would completely muck up the narrative thread that the PT's adventures are over and Maaku is rehabilitated which means it's time for him to move on to the next stage of his life, but it makes no sense to me that he's going back to his parents. They clearly don't give a gently caress about him, meanwhile Sojiro absolutely does now. Just call up his parents and tell them you'll let him stay in your attic for another year to finish HS.

Haifisch posted:

Makoto clearly gets it the worst, because it goes from cool bike she can ride to transformer bike she can't ride.

:hai:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Haifisch posted:

I disagree, because I like the clear visual symbolism involved. Makoto's inner-self goes from being a vehicle that has no will of its own and can only go where it's steered by others into being a free-willed, sentient being that's capable of thinking for itself and making its own decisions.

JDGreat
Jan 26, 2015
I'd argue that Joker's is the most thematic of all, it definitely got an "Oh OF COURSE, it'd be him!" sort of reaction from me.

Who rebelled harder than the Fallen Angel himself? Plus, after Messiah for P3 and Izanagi no Okami for P4, it felt right that we had more of a "bad boy" final Persona for once.

Even Akechi's Ultimate Persona (if you class Loki as one) follows the same theme. Human Legend of a Trickster -> Trickster/Rebellion Deity figure.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Night10194 posted:

The police have honestly done way more to put Maaku in danger and gently caress with him than God has so far.
Akechi loving shot him while on the clock!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The true moral of Persona 5 is ACAB, and I'm okay with that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

The true moral of Persona 5 is ACAB, and I'm okay with that.

It's a shame that we're gonna have to kill Makoto eventually.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Malah posted:

Akechi loving shot him while on the clock!

Yaldabaoth: I DUNNO MAN SEEMS LIKE KIND OF A DICK MOVE

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm still overjoyed our favorite character, rude cat horny for Ann, decided to come back and insult us again.

He only just decided to show up because he couldn't break into our prison and tell us to go to sleep ten minutes after we wake up.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
feature not bug

RareAcumen posted:

horny for Ann
everything in the whole game is horny for Ann and it's weird

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 198: 2/13-2/14: Kiss Me Goodbye

Music: Break it Down

I would love to talk about a few different things with you if that’s all right…

Come on, let’s go to bed. You’re working at the shop from tomorrow onward, right?

You’ve been back for like three hours and you’re already telling me when to go to bed.

Anon: im gonna try hard this year
Anon: We should thank them…
Admin: Please post your support!
Anon: I guess YES?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I’m highly suspicious of the premise that there were a notable number of customers in Leblanc on any given day period, much less guys bringing dates there for Valentine’s Day.

I was in in lockup by myself for six straight weeks until yesterday. Those aren’t exactly optimal conditions from which immediately get up and start crushing puss, unless you count my accidentally stepping on Morgana this morning when I was getting out of bed, the same way Michael Scott burned his foot.

Oh yeah, I’m sure they were all over you, buddy.

Music: Sweet

Ah, the store is still--

The first time I brought a girl over here in even a platonic capacity you asked if she had a boyfriend and stared at her rear end, you old lech. The less you know about my love life, the better. And don’t ask how I found out about that poo poo with Ann when I wasn’t in the room, okay? I have the power of clairvoyance, but it usually only shows me occasional minor plot-relevant scenes featuring people getting up to or becoming the victims of nefarious bullshit. Sometimes I know the people, sometimes I don’t. Sometimes they’re talking about me and my friends, sometimes they’re not. A lot of the time, it just showed me the same one dude, but I can’t figure out why because he was just kind of a one-note rear end in a top hat barfing out waves of mostly pointless expository blather that there was probably a much less artificial and labored way to communicate, but he’s dead now so whatever.

Anyway, stay away from my girlfriend. I’m not threatening you, I’m warning you. If you upset her you’ll wake up bound hand and foot just as the last specks of dirt being shoveled onto your face block your vision of the sky. And then she’ll use the soil from where you were buried alive in a shallow, unmarked grave to grow some delicious vegetables.

Here, I’ll leave the store to you.

Smart idea.

Oh yeah, and you better leave too, cat. I’m probably not gonna get any tonight because you’ve already made my room smell like cat turds again, the least you can do is give us some privacy.

Ignore him. He sucks.

I am worried though. After all, it’s you we’re talking about.

I’m… really not sure how to take that. It doesn’t quite sound like a compliment.

Um…

I actually made it myself…

If you think that now, wait until you take the wrapping paper off!

...I’m so glad.

I was thinking I would have to mail it to you…

I’m not sure they would have let me receive a large bundle of chocolate in solitary.

My apologies. I didn’t mean it like that…

Nah, it’s fine. I hid what I was doing on Christmas from you, after all, because I’m a massive coward who uses my perception of your weakness to rationalize not being emotionally open or honest about my problems.

It seems I’ll be participating in the coffee chain project even while I’m at college. Starting in April, I’ll be on my way to becoming a full member of society… Am I going to be OK?

Seems like you’ve got a lot on your plate, but I’m sure you can handle it.

*nod*

*nod*

Maaku’s inherent qualities as a silent protagonist are really making this tender scene hilariously strange.

I’ll be busy with work by then as well… so we…

It’s so great that we’ve spent all this time encouraging Haru, helping her make her own decisions and realize her goals, and there’s an option here where we can just tell her to throw her college plans and entire future away at the last minute so she can follow her boyfriend, who she won’t even be able to attend the same school as anyway because she will have already graduated, to bumfuck nowhere.

*nod*

Long-distance relationship, huh? I’ve heard that those never work. People delude themselves into thinking it might… but it might work for us!

Truthfully, I spent all that time waiting for your release, so living a little further away is nothing…

And so, we spent a nice night with Haru. :unsmith:

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The Valentine's Day scenes are always nice. I really wish there was more incentive to hang out with your girlfriend, because after you start dating you just basically ignore her until Christmas/Valentine's Day rolls around. Persona is a time management game and gameplay-wise taking your girlfriend on nice dates (which you can do, and there are many really cute scenes) is just a waste of time.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wow, I think that was the most negative post in the entire LP. Who hurt you on Valentine's Day, Arist?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

SoundwaveAU posted:

The Valentine's Day scenes are always nice. I really wish there was more incentive to hang out with your girlfriend, because after you start dating you just basically ignore her until Christmas/Valentine's Day rolls around. Persona is a time management game and gameplay-wise taking your girlfriend on nice dates (which you can do, and there are many really cute scenes) is just a waste of time.
Especially in P5, where I feel like the 'unlock a bunch of spots to hang out with s-links' system is kind of wasted. There's a lot of cool scenes you can get, but they can only happen when you hang out when you're not ready to rank up, so you might never see them for a given character, or only get one or two.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sudonim posted:

everything in the whole game is horny for Ann and it's weird

The MC was fine throughout the game so far right?

And by fine I mean not getting their ideas of how to act around women from famous 1980's comedies Porky's and Revenge of the Nerds.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Yeah, once you get to rank 10 with someone you should be able to hang out with them for free and get a cool scene out of it too. And it shouldn't take any time either.

Still gonna agree that having a silent protagonist feels real weird considering how lengthy everyone's replies get to your- at max- six word response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Patrick Spens posted:

I found it a lot more fun to play than P4 (which I didn't finish). Getting tangible benefits for leveling up your confidants is great, and pre-built rather than random dungeons are a huuuuge improvement. But I agree that the overall plot is weaker, and if your only getting the LP experience, I can see why you would think it's worse.

I couldn't afford to get it on release, so I was at first glad that I could follow along through this LP and the cancelled video one... and for a while now I've been unsure if I made the right decision.