Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

To get back to the fusion accident stuff being incredibly rare, add me to the list of those who've never seen one in their own game, and I've got 90%+ of my Compendium filled. Seriously, seeing it "only" twice during your game seems even more unlikely in the opposite direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

PMush Perfect posted:

This isn't ethnocentricism, it's pointing out that the game is guilty of literally the exact thing it's trying to condemn. You don't need to defend the e-honor of Persona's Weird Sex Stuff, the LP isn't suddenly going to stop existing because you didn't come running to the defense of ephebophilia.

don't put words in my mouth.

I DON'T agree with the sexualization of 16 year old.

Frankly, I REALLY want to tell you off right now. THIS is the kind of poo poo we're so close to right now.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 21, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mauman posted:

don't put words in my mouth you rear end in a top hat.

I DON'T agree with the sexualization of 16 year old.

Seriously, gently caress you.

You sure as gently caress implied it, my dude

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

This isn't ethnocentricism, it's pointing out that the game is guilty of literally the exact thing it's trying to condemn. You don't need to defend the e-honor of Persona's Weird Sex Stuff, the LP isn't suddenly going to stop existing because you didn't come running to the defense of ephebophilia.
Also the age of consent being different doesn't make perving on teens less creepy. Something conveniently lost on the "But the age of consent is lower here!" types.

GeneX posted:

You sure as gently caress implied it, my dude
No see he just brought up Japan's age of consent because he likes sharing random trivia.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Okay, can we step away from the insults now? This is getting a bit out of hand.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welp, we'll see about reopening this thread in the morning

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 14: 4/20: Heh, Just Noticed What Day It Is

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves

We’re still exploring this drat castle.

Entering this library, we find a rather conspicuous book.

Are you curious about that book, Joker? Hmmm… I guess we can always take it with us if you want!

The Slave Book, huh…? That sounds kind of important...

Something I neglected to point out is that Ryuji does this absurd faceplant every single time he uses his finisher. It’s pretty great.

Ann also learns Dormina around this point, which has high odds of causing an enemy to fall asleep. It’s not useful very often, but we’ll find some applications for it.

See that barred door at the end of the hall? We need some sort of circular key to activate the switch that opens it, which means we’re going to have to scour this floor looking for it.

In another library, we find another book.

Did that catch your attention, Joker? We should take it with us!

The Queen Book? Is this some kinda special book?

And again in the third library.

Then let’s bring it along!

The King Book? What is this?

Here’s a locked chest we can’t open because we wasted our only Lockpick. I have no idea what’s inside it.

This is the only room left in this area to check.

A library, huh? This definitely seems fishy.
Whaddya mean?
Come on, it’s a library in a castle. There has to be some kind of secret mechanism in here. Let’s look around, Joker.

Music: Suspicion

Looks like we’ve got a puzzle to solve.

“Tracing Kamoshida’s Steps”… “Kamoshida’s Heroisms”… “Kamoshida’s Law”…? What the hell!? All these goddamn books’re about Kamoshida!
That reminds me, we found a book earlier, didn’t we?

Yeah, something might happen if we put a book in here...

We insert The King Book. Now, to move over to one of the other slots...

There are all sorts of books here… The titles don’t have any rhyme or reason to them. Huh? This book… has Shiho’s name in the title… Wait… It’s not just this one! All of the books here are about female students…!
“Ann Takamaki: The Charming Doll.” Holy poo poo...
What the heck is this…!?
>Insert “The Queen Book”

And now for the third shelf.

Hm… Wait a second. The books on this shelf seem familiar.
These’re the names of the volleyball team members! Wait, what the hell!? All of the titles are boys from our school!
“Ryuji Sakamoto: The Vulgar Ape.” There’s one here for Skull.

Way to just spill his name, Mona. Weren’t code names your idea?

That bastard! Who the hell does he think he is!?
>Insert “The Slave Book”

The bookshelf slides out of place, revealing a hidden room.

You got it, Joker! Let’s take a look inside!

Music: Desire

Wait… It’s all pics of her…?
…...

Yeah… Thanks. If anything… I feel even more motivated to do this now.
I’m sure it’ll feel awful, but we should search this room. There has to be something in here if he was hiding it with such an elaborate trick.

I spy a shiny object over in the corner.

Is this… a medal?
Well, it has to be important. He went through all the trouble to hide it here, after all.
Guess we’ll take it then.
Wait, there’s something under the medal too.

So is it gonna tell us where the treasure is?

That’s a weird-shaped building… Could it be a tower or something?
Considering our current position… I’d say we’re about halfway there.
All right! Let’s hurry over there!4
No. Now that we know how much we have left, we can calculate the best way to pace ourselves. Let’s keep exploring, but take breaks when you need to, Joker.

We’re halfway through, eh? Well, we’ve got a little under half of our SP left, so that’s good. We might make it through in one day yet.

For now, let’s just head back to that door we couldn’t open.

Insert the medal and pull the switch, and…

The bars lower.

Sweet! Looks like it worked.
Now we can keep going!
This must lead somewhere important. Let’s go!1

Over here we find a safe room.

...and a Devil Fruit. If Kamoshida turns out to be some weird giraffe man I’m done with this game.

Let’s pop out using the safe room and go fuse some Personas.

First up, a Genbu using Incubus and Agathion.

I shall become a mask and make use of my wisdom to create a profitable future for you.

This thing is some weird CatDog-style amalgamation of a tortoise and a dragon, which is actually pretty blasé as far as SMT goes. It’s actually one of the four symbols of the Chinese Constellation, representing the north and the color black.

Next, a Saki Mitama using Jack-o’-Lantern and Bicorn.

Love and sympathy are all you need in life. I shall become your mask and guide you to intense passion...

This weird teardrop with a face is one of the four great aspects of Shinto thought, aiding in love, profit, and growth. Speaking of growth, Growth 1, which we get from having started Ann’s Confidant, lets it gain 25% experience even when inactive. It’s handy but we won’t be using this one all that much. I fused it primarily to consolidate my damage skills onto as few Personas as possible. Now, let’s head back into the Palace.

But the Treasure’s up ahead, right? We don’t got a choice but to keep goin’.
I guess that’s true… but we need to make sure we’re ready for whatever might be ahead. What do you think, Joker? Should we continue onward?

The building distorts, revealing the image of a gymnasium.

Wait, was that… the gym…?

I can’t believe he can think like that… especially after what he did to Shiho…
God, that bastard makes me so freakin’ sick! Just you wait, Kamoshida…!

It is preposterous for miscreants like yourselves to come waltzing in like this.

You will pay for foolishly defying King Kamoshida… with your lives!
I knew this would happen! Well, we don’t have a choice! Let’s take it down!

Music: Keeper of Lust

Uh-oh. This guy means business. Charge increases the damage of the next attack by 2.5x. We’re in trouble.

Look! He’s trying to do something! It’s important to guard if you think you’re in danger!

That took more than half of Ann’s health even blocked, which means that strike is more than enough to decimate any of our party members from full health.

And he uses his next turn to charge up again. We’re forced to spend half our turns guarding and the other half frantically trying to do damage. It’s a rough situation. Complicating matters is the fact that it resists fire, meaning Ann is ineffective.

Yeah… It looks like he’s making a concerted effort to stop us now. Joker, I’ve helped you learn a few different things so far, but there’s no more time for lessons. I’ll compile some info you’ll need to know for battle, so be sure to take a look later.

We’ll review the information in here another time. For now, let’s just keep moving.

...Or not, because a ton of enemies suddenly spawn, surrounding us.

What should we do? Head back?
No, the Treasure is definitely up ahead, and there has to be a path to it somewhere. Let’s look around, Joker!

Easier said than done, Morgana.

He gets taken out pretty much instantly at the start of this fight. And since he can’t navigate while unconscious, the game does something interesting.

Morgana jumps away and takes cover nearby, continuing to give us information. It’s neat if kind of pointless because he never actually says anything useful, but whatever.

Eventually we can manage to avoid the rest of the enemies and climb up above.

Hey… That stuff is disgusting. You should get it cleaned somewhere… Anywhere… Wait, wasn’t there a coin laundry near Leblanc?

You can find useless, stained gear in Palaces and use the coin laundry to clean it up. I’ve never actually bothered to do this because it loving spends time, so I have no idea if any of the gear is worth it. Scratch that, I will say that it’s unilaterally not worth it because, again, it loving spends time, holy poo poo, and you can easily make do without bothering.

We continue to make our way across the room.

Uh-oh, the enemy’s captured Ryuji!

If the hostage negotiation fails, the captured party member will be instantly KO’d.

We could call the Thieves’ Guild for help, but I’m feeling bold. Let’s let him drain our health.

And so the fight resumes. Whew, barely got out of that one. Time to heal!

YO HO HO HE TOOK A BITE OF GUM GUM

...I’m sorry.

Down just leads to an enemy and yet another treasure chest we can’t open. Instead, let’s go up.

Music: Tension

Oh! That matches up with the map. There’s no doubt that’s the tower we’re headed for.
So the Treasure’s up there!
Hell yeah, we did it! So… where’s the entrance?

And right on cue, a ton of Shadows so strong they’re visibly growing red appear.

Ugh, not again...
It’s no surprise that security would be tight around here. But as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained! Let’s go, Joker!

In this case, “strong Shadow” means “double Berith,” which ends up being quite the drain on Joker’s SP. We don’t end up having to fight all four because enemies tend to despawn between successful fights and won’t reappear until you move away, but multiple nearby enemies means you’re going to end up with at least one linked encounter, where defeating one set of enemies causes a new set to spawn immediately.

Also, the door’s locked, because it’s never easy.

Instead, we have to climb up above and run along the walls.

See that itty-bitty hole in the tower near those banners? That’s our goal.

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves (Another Version)

And we’re finally inside.

The distortion is getting stronger… The Treasure has got to be nearby!

Over in a side room, we find something interesting. It seems to be a rather strange-looking elevator.

Why, we seem to be in some secret area of the castle! Let’s check this place out a bit.

If we walk over to where another elevator seems like it should be, Ann pipes up.

Oh dear.

These Succubuses (Succubi, I guess) are weak to Gun and Bless just like their friend Incubus. They also like casting Fire, as well as using Marin Karin to Brainwash the party.

This Bead is a full HP restore for one party member, which is great… but not yet. We’ll be saving this for way down the road.

Turning around, we see… a portrait of Kamoshida?

Either way… it’s kind of strange that this would be our dead end.

Let’s examine it, then.

It’s the entrance hall! Have you already forgotten!?
I didn’t realize we would end up here...
Hey, look! There used to be tons of soldiers wanderin’ around, but I don’t see any of ‘em now...

Well, we finally made our way back to the entrance hall. While we’re down here, we also unlock some of the paths so we can head back to a nearby safe room before returning to the tower. This is good, because...

There’s a righteous asskicking waiting for us up there.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 14, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There is a way to wash the clothes without taking up time, but it requires a few ranks of a Confidant we haven't met yet, so I'll hold my tongue on the matter. But yeah, the armor-washing idea was kind of bad.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What I don't understand about the armor washing thing is why you're not allowed to read a book while you wait.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, Berith and the "Heavenly Protector" as that Persona's name is still secret (though easily guessable) are real pissers in combat; Berith is immensely strong compared to the other shadows and past the Chapel, you start encountering enemies with attacks that hit twice, an absolute bane for your characters at this level as everyone's HP is still low (and you don't have anything that reflects physical yet). Think the first dungeon would take it easy on you? Oh no: you're in SMT land, and life comes at you fast.

For this reason, Kamoshida's Palace is one of the more difficult and soul crushing Palaces to do in one go, despite being at the beginning. There's ways to do it, of course, generally by exploiting every weakness you can, but it's messy and not very fun.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I think the washed armor is at least good for re-selling, unless you're someone like me who never bought armor until the last third of the game.

And wow, this stretch is a real gauntlet, especially for a one-day run. The "gym" miniboss, the little maze before the "distortion" bit, and everything to come is just... Oof. Needless to say, I wasted a lot of days on this dungeon.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This bit was such a slog and it felt so good one-shotting it in NG+.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Eh, I wasn't able to do it in one day. Doing it in one day is really unfun.

Speaking of, Laundry give you pretty decent gear.

Unfortunately it costs time. That's a pretty big unfortunately and there are ways around it.

ChaosArgate posted:

What I don't understand about the armor washing thing is why you're not allowed to read a book while you wait.

This. I mean, really game. Really?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
On my first run (on hard difficulty) there was no way I could finish the dungeon in one day. The gym boss stopped me cold. I didn't have the SP to keep using Tarunda, and without that he was just too strong.

Thank goodness for the alternate way to clean gear. It's much more expensive, but easily pays for itself.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Thing is, you CAN get "Ultimate" armors from it...right before the end of the game and you're only given enough in-game time for TWO possible end-game armors from two different things. You can also easily savescum what you get, but...yea, the Laundromat thing taking time was a baaaaaad idea. Also gently caress Kamoshida's palace. If you don't conserve SP like a motherfucker (like I didn't) you're gonna have a bad time trying to finish it off as soon as possible.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
There' s a way in the future to use the laundry without it taking time. I never bothered until I unlocked it.

And this castle is a *slog* if you're trying to 1-day it on hard. I managed it, but only by burning through every single SP-restoring item I could get my hands on except that big, juicy Soma. That Snuff Soul that you grabbed earlier? Extended my own exploration like, twofold.

While I'm glad the entire game isn't like it, I do appreciate the challenge this Palace provides. Management of such limited resources isn't as common in games these days, so it was a lot of fun.
...With the notable exception of that Makou instantly killing my entire team before I could even move. It's absolutely required that you ambush those shadows.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ChaosArgate posted:

That would've actually made it at least nominally worthwhile.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
The design of Kamoshida's Palace, especially the rotating picture shortcut, really imply that at one point safe-room warping was NOT part of the plan.

On the one hand convenience features are king, but on the other hand I really think the game might have lost something really stylish that would have really upped the epic heist feel by forcing you to take increasingly convoluted shortcuts in order to stealth your way closer and closer to the Treasure. That, and secret passages are just plain cool, and this game practically runs on the premise of doing absurd things while looking as loving awesome as possible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ayana posted:

The design of Kamoshida's Palace, especially the rotating picture shortcut, really imply that at one point safe-room warping was NOT part of the plan.

On the one hand convenience features are king, but on the other hand I really think the game might have lost something really stylish that would have really upped the epic heist feel by forcing you to take increasingly convoluted shortcuts in order to stealth your way closer and closer to the Treasure. That, and secret passages are just plain cool, and this game practically runs on the premise of doing absurd things while looking as loving awesome as possible.
You could probably still do it as a self-imposed challenge. Make the stealth actually feel meaningful, too.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

ChaosArgate posted:

Or why doing a single load takes the entire afternoon, but that's the limitations of the day/night system in a nutshell.

The big benefit of laundering clothes is that the armors you find tend to be superior to the stuff you could buy around the same time. Worst-case scenario, laundered armor can fetch a ton of yen down the line, while I think they only sell for 200 yen if they're dirty.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Same thing here about what everyone else said about laundry time, it at least has the chance of being better than Untouchable's stuff at a fraction of the cost once you get the time for it.

Also, 25% alert level? What kind of phantom thief are you getting spotted?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Level Seven posted:

Same thing here about what everyone else said about laundry time, it at least has the chance of being better than Untouchable's stuff at a fraction of the cost once you get the time for it.

Also, 25% alert level? What kind of phantom thief are you getting spotted?

It's not my fault, enemies literally pop up out of the floor and surprise me :saddowns:

Also I already knew about the way around laundry time, guys, I just didn't want to get ahead of myself.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Ayana posted:

In one of the early trailers, there was a scene in Leblanc where the team gets together around a table to examine a map, and presumably plan their heist. That scene was completely cut from the game. Most likely at some point they planned to force you to devise a stealthy route through the palace that avoids patrols that are at maximum alert, possibly while hitting multiple objectives along the way as will be seen in the second palace. But that undoubtedly turned out to be too complicated to implement and meaningfully design the palaces around.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Arist posted:

Morgana jumps away and takes cover nearby, continuing to give us information. It’s neat if kind of pointless because he never actually says anything useful, but whatever.

Whoa, completely untrue. How else are you supposed to know when Joker is looking cool?

Also, that portrait of Kamoshida is wonderful. I wish I could find a bigger version of it.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I wonder just how many people got wiped out by a Heavenly Punisher like you did at the end there.

I know I did.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I just love the insane fetish decor in Kamoshida's dungeon. "Sexy volleyball mannequin" elevator? Sure thing. I am looking forward what the other heist dungeons have to offer.

Is the "Heavenly Punisher" not something of a recurring char design in the SMT games? I remember, that the archangels in SMT4 - Strange Journey looked similar...

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

this was the part where I was starting to feel the pain
the gymboss was easy with guarding, but knowing I was only halfway done?
ouwgh
so to get some more SP, I just grinded a bit on the lower levels

and yeah washing clothes is only worth it later

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Every demon gets a descriptive name like "Heavenly Punisher" when you haven't fused/recruited them yet. I presume as a way to prevent you from googling their weaknesses or something? Or simply as a style choice the same way people are described as "Rude Boy" and such before you learn their names.

The Heavenly Punisher is actually one of the few things weak to darkness in this dungeon, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately he uses bless spells so using Arsene or Incubus is a huge gamble and you're better off using the safer personas with lightning.

They're painful fights though.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
If I may have a suggestion, Arist, could you add videos for the boss and miniboss fights in the future?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Deltasquid posted:

Every demon gets a descriptive name like "Heavenly Punisher" when you haven't fused/recruited them yet. I presume as a way to prevent you from googling their weaknesses or something? Or simply as a style choice the same way people are described as "Rude Boy" and such before you learn their names.

The Heavenly Punisher is actually one of the few things weak to darkness in this dungeon, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately he uses bless spells so using Arsene or Incubus is a huge gamble

Probably based on their appearance and manners.

You can always fuse a persona that knows curse skills and doesn't have bless weakness.

Actually, a persona with bless resistance is better.

I called it quits after the gym boss.

Stuff that is not a boss goes down faster than the mini-bosses.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's still easy enough to look up weaknesses if you haven't fused the Persona yet, though- most non-boss enemies still list their level and Arcana, meaning it's a simple matter of going to the SMT wiki and comparing the levels.

But I'll mirror what's been said- Kamoshida's Palace is a monster to beat in one day, but much like Yukiko's Castle in P4, this is the real hurdle; the other Palaces get significantly easier to do in one day after this.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Weeble posted:

I wonder just how many people got wiped out by a Heavenly Punisher like you did at the end there.

I know I did.

I think I died more to it than any boss in the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aumanor posted:

If I may have a suggestion, Arist, could you add videos for the boss and miniboss fights in the future?

I was already going to do that for the main boss fights. Maybe I'll do the minibosses in the future, but this one was pretty simple to deal with.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I died to Heavenly Punisher three times in a row before I realised I had a Succubus equipped that make me weak to Bless.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Just to be clear, is there any in-game bonus/motivation for doing the entire dungeon in one day or is it a personal challenge thing?

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

frajaq posted:

Just to be clear, is there any in-game bonus/motivation for doing the entire dungeon in one day or is it a personal challenge thing?

Most Max Confidant runs at this time require it, since the schedule for Persona 5 is quite tight. The more time you spend in the dungeons is less time you have to work on Confidants or grind social stats.

I'd assume that ideally you're meant to do the Max Confidants run on a New Game + run, since by that point you're at a high enough level to steamroll the early palaces, and you already have most of the work done on social stats.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

frajaq posted:

More time to do stuff.

Granted if you're smart, you can get away with being inefficient.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Maxing all the confidants isn't that rough, it's maxing confidants AND reading all the books AND watching all the movies and etc etc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a part of me that wanted to go "screw the guide, do it in two days" and spend the rest of the game improvising but we're very close to the end of the Palace at this point and after all the preparation we went through it seemed kind of wasteful to duck out when we were more than capable of getting through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

frajaq posted:

The more days you use to beat a palace, the less time you have to do other things like hanging out with friends or grinding out social stats. On your first playthrough it's also quite unclear how far through a palace you are, so you're afraid of being like 15 minutes of powering through to the end and calling it quits for the day. This incentivizes you to just keep pushing as far as you can in a day and being afraid to jump out.