Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Amidiri posted:

You don't like, successfully date an adult in P3 though, do you? The teacher is into your online persona but figures out it's unhealthy and stops, and the Magician social link dude is into a teacher who doesn't return his affections and rejects him in favour of her actual adult fiance, right?

Her last interaction with you is to shyly ask you out for dinner, which obviously doesn't happen thanks to the "messianic death" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's definitely an undercurrent of "I'll wait for you to get older" too.

There is a reason the SMT Thread's title was, is, and will continue to be Katsura Hashino Retire Bitch

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Hashino's own version of the Tarot would just feature The Hierophant as a sexy lady.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Again: Hashino's going to be working on Project Re: Fantasy, so keep very close eyes on that. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but knowing him... I'm right to be cautious.

On the other hand, Persona 6 will be freaking amazing without his grossness, at least, that's what I hope.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh hey, this LP is still ongoing.

McTimmy posted:

Sayako the nurse is super suggestive but any time you try and follow up on her innuendos she just gives a lecture on some hospital procedure instead.

As I recall, the nurse is implied to sleep with Yu in the early phases of the Social Link if you accepted her advances, but that doesn't rank up. At least, I think that's what the LP I was reading said.

Instead, you have to tell her to stop being a creeper, which only gets her more interested in flirting with you, strangely enough. But then she winds up caring about something other than being promiscuous and things become less weird.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 8, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Junpei posted:

Again: Hashino's going to be working on Project Re: Fantasy, so keep very close eyes on that. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but knowing him... I'm right to be cautious.

On the other hand, Persona 6 will be freaking amazing without his grossness, at least, that's what I hope.

As long as we get Persona goodness with slightly less creepy men indulging in their fantasies of being a teenager dating adults, I'd be all over it. Not that most of the current wifu wars crew is any less creepy about teenage girls, but at least those relationships wouldn't be in-game felonies.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Guess what
Smash somehow made it possible to use enjoy being at Mementos.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Addendum III: Gettin’ Smashed

Hey, everyone! As you probably know already, Joker was announced as the newest Smash Bros. character a good four months ago, and they finally put him in last week! Coincidentally, I had all my wisdom teeth ripped out last Friday! The original plan was to write this update while hopped up on some druuuuuugs, but they didn’t give me the good poo poo and I stayed pretty lucid in the hours that followed! Lame!

I went and bought Joker when the eShop updated, which was easier said than done, because...

The servers were on loving fire. I eventually managed to get through...

though updating the game itself was another trial.

I eventually managed to get in...

Very slowly.

All right, we did it! Though something about this render kinda creeps me out. The actual P5 models don’t look all that great but the way they’re shaded looks pretty neat. This art style just looks funky to me.

And some other new stuff, too! We’ll see what it is in a moment.

Oh, jesus christ, the new stage is Mementos. Kill me.

We can pick from 11 songs here from Personas 3, 4, and 5. The red triangle in the corner indicates it’s a new mix created just for Smash, and all three of those are pretty great. Why include Our Beginning, though? No Wiping All Out or Life Will Change? At least we got Rivers in the Desert, I guess.

Mementos is honestly a pretty cool stage. Besides the great Persona music, there’s trains flying through the bottom that can knock you back if they hit you (as you can see in that picture where Villager is about to build a literal house on my rear end), and walls and ceilings will appear randomly. As you may notice during this, the other Phantom Thieves will also appear in the background, just… hanging out. Sure.

And if you use a P3 or P4 song, the colors will change too!

Time for some good, old-fashioned violence.

Joker’s default special is GUN. No bullet counter though, thankfully. He can dodge in the middle of a gun combo, for the record, and punish recoveries in the air with downward fire.

Side special is Eiha, a Curse move that deals low damage (but will inflict damage over time).

Joker’s up special is a tether, which is good because he’s pretty broken. He’ll throw out a grappling hook that can grab the edge of the stage or even opponents and pull them (though he can only do the latter from the ground).

Down special is a counter, but not really. Taking damage while using it (you can hold it down, as well) will make you take half damage and not get knocked back, while charging his character gauge. Enemies will get knocked back when the B button is released.

He can also bring out Morgana when he taunts!

Filling his character gauge will automatically summon Arsene.

Arsene adds power to all his moves, including smashes.

Gun becomes a three-hit burst.

Eiha becomes Eigaon, which does a lot more damage and damage over time.

The grappling hook becomes a huge flying leap with invulnerability.

Finally, his “counter” becomes a true counter, Tetrakarn/Makarakarn, each activating for physical/projectile attacks automatically.

Let’s see his Final Smash, now.

0(Note, in case this narrowly misses, he can flick the analog stick in the other direction to go back that way for another shot)

It’s an All-out Attack, and it’s pretty dope. Wish they got the font right, though.

There’s also another version with the other Phantom Thieves in there.

Joker gets a special victory screen that replicated P5’s. They put way too much work into this.

And just like in the game, winning from an All-out Attack will go straight to the victory screen.

Two of his eight colors are dedicated to his Shujin uniform.

Poyo!

Lastly, let’s check out the new Spirit Board and see what fights they devised.

There are 11 new Spirits here, and they get pretty clever. Most of that cleverness comes down to how they represent the various Personas of the cast.

Morgana is a tiny Pikachu with a giant Incineroar helper representing Zorro. The Incineroar can create strong tornadoes with his Ore Club, in addition to the strong winds that will naturally populate the stage. It’s chaos.

Ryuji is a Captain Falcon with a Home-Run Bat, plus a giant Mii Gunner wearing a pirate hat. Obvious.

Ann is a Zero Suit Samus, plus a giant Peach with a Fire Flower. Also obvious.

Yusuke is Chrom (it’s not just blue hair, they share voice actors in both English and Japanese, heh) plus a giant Dedede representing Goemon.

Also, there’s a Vince assist trophy who’ll paint all over you!

Makoto is a Sheik. This is probably my favorite of the bunch, because they represent Johanna by having an invisible Wario summoning constant motorcycles.

Futaba doesn’t have a “helper” representing Necronomicon (if only Kirby’s UFO move had made it in), instead having Doctor Wily and some Boss Galaga assistance

Haru is a Villager (awwwwwww) with a giant Daisy with a Super Scope as Milady. Also, “veggies” will constantly spawn to heal you. I also just realized we’re supposed to be on Shujin’s roof.

Goro is a Marth with a giant Pit as Robin Hood. Also your controls will keep reversing to… represent his deception? I got nothing.

Caroline and Justine are Ice Climbers (natch) with a time limit. You’ll also take damage at certain intervals.

Igor is three Ridleys and a Robin, you’re at 300 percent, and will be greatly healed every several seconds. I didn’t know what the Ridleys were, but someone theorized they’re the guillotine…

...because they keep doing this.

Final fight is a marathon against the Phantom Thieves, all the previous fights (minus the Personas). It’s pretty crazy.

They’ll just keep appearing, one after the other.

Save me Haru!

Anyway, that’s the rundown on Joker. I’m not going to go into what the various spirits do because I’m bad at this game and can’t win these fights it’s not that interesting. See you all during the next eight spinoffs! I crave death!

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 22, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was wondering if you'd mention the Smash addition or not and seeing you go over everything involving Joker was a neat surprise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Oh, jesus christ, the new stage is Mementos. Kill me.

There is no escape. :unsmigghh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Aria of the Soul remix is loving incredible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
According to some big name Smash players, Joker is pretty good and has some neat techs. I'm not good with him myself, but it's cool to hear that he's good without being obnoxiously busted. (coughbayonettacough)

Sydin posted:

The Aria of the Soul remix is loving incredible.
:yeah:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I narrowly lost a match against my friend, and Ryuji’s taunt of “Ha! LOSERS!” didn’t help me feel any better. :argh:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I've seen someone bring up how Smash Mementos is less mementos and more an excuse to make Persona 5's UI elements into a stage. I mean just look how crazy & vibrant it is.
I can believe it.

Also there's even MORE secrets to Joker's victory screens for no good reason:
-if you win with a P3 or P4 song, the UI changes to Blue or Yelllow respectively
-Also under those same conditions, the victory theme will change to P3/P4's battle end themes
-If you're in a 4 player match, the blue & yellow UI colors are used. And if you're the 4th player it will be green because WHY NOT I GUESS
-Usually Morganna talks during the victory screen but sometimes the other Phantom Thieves will chime in instead! I think Sakurai said they're all new recordings, including the quips on the stage.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a theory that the 3 ridleys are the archangels, since robin is secretly the dark dragon grima reborn, just as Igor is Yaldaboth in disguise.

You gonna do classic mode?

Oh, and Aria of the Soul is listed as coming from Revelations: Persona, the first persona game.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 22, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I kind of want to do a writeup of Joker's appearance in noted good game and not a hell of infinite grinding in which we are thrown to suffer Granblue Fantasy, but his event ran long enough ago that I don't recall a lot of it.

He looks pretty great in Granblue style, though:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Leraika posted:

I kind of want to do a writeup of Joker's appearance in noted good game and not a hell of infinite grinding in which we are thrown to suffer Granblue Fantasy, but his event ran long enough ago that I don't recall a lot of it.

He looks pretty great in Granblue style, though:

I don't remember much of it either really. In terms of where it would fit into P5's canon I think it's between the art museum and the bank? Yusuke was around but not anyone that joined after him.

On the other hand, it's also recent enough that the wiki has the full transcript of the event.

Meanwhile, Joker himself is a solid unit and middle-of-the-road as far as SSRs go in his element (dark, of course).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

AweStriker posted:

I don't remember much of it either really. In terms of where it would fit into P5's canon I think it's between the art museum and the bank? Yusuke was around but not anyone that joined after him.

On the other hand, it's also recent enough that the wiki has the full transcript of the event.

Meanwhile, Joker himself is a solid unit and middle-of-the-road as far as SSRs go in his element (dark, of course).

I went to the wiki to grab the loving joker art but didn't think to check if there was a transcript for the event itself because I'm a dumbass whoops.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pharohman777 posted:

You gonna do classic mode?

Nah

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Invisible wario with bike spam is brilliant.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Most of these I get, but why is Makoto Shiek? Beyond being female martial artists, I don't really see much connection.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

She has similar standing kicking animations. Plus she's the closest you can get unless you go for Mii Fighter in which case why not bother making special Miis for all of them.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TheKirbs posted:

She has similar standing kicking animations. Plus she's the closest you can get unless you go for Mii Fighter in which case why not bother making special Miis for all of them.

That makes sense. Mii Brawler would be closest to her, but using Miis for any character is cheating. I guess Sheik or Zero Suit Samus would be the closest equivalents and Samus is already taken by Ann.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Most of these I get, but why is Makoto Shiek? Beyond being female martial artists, I don't really see much connection.

Yeah, it's because of a dearth of female brawlers. The outliers being Wii-Fit, Zero Suit Samus and Peach but the first doesnt look right and the other two use unconventional weapons even for the Phantom Thieves.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, it's because of a dearth of female brawlers. The outliers being Wii-Fit, Zero Suit Samus and Peach but the first doesnt look right and the other two use unconventional weapons even for the Phantom Thieves.

Haru could probably pull off Peach as well as she does Villager. Peach even fits the gardening theme with her turnips and, if you stretch it, Toad, but this is a topic that will lead to no end of arguing if followed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Haru could probably pull off Peach as well as she does Villager. Peach even fits the gardening theme with her turnips and, if you stretch it, Toad, but this is a topic that will lead to no end of arguing if followed.

Oh yeah, but I'm just talking about for Makoto. Either you're using the ones previously mentioned or like, Lucina, girl Robin or Corrin, which also don't also fit too well.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Geostomp posted:

and now it makes me wish they went with Hector instead of Another Sword Boy for FE, because he would've worked for Haru as well.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think Sheik, especially the black outfit they use, matches Makoto pretty well

Scarves, hand to hand combatants, similar builds, I'd say even the suit's not that dissimilar

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Arist posted:

Addendum III: Gettin’ Smashed

Goro is a Marth with a giant Pit as Robin Hood. Also your controls will keep reversing to… represent his deception? I got nothing.

The control reversal is probably referencing Loki, since Trickster god and all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

rannum posted:

Also there's even MORE secrets to Joker's victory screens for no good reason:
-if you win with a P3 or P4 song, the UI changes to Blue or Yelllow respectively
-Also under those same conditions, the victory theme will change to P3/P4's battle end themes
-If you're in a 4 player match, the blue & yellow UI colors are used. And if you're the 4th player it will be green because WHY NOT I GUESS
-Usually Morganna talks during the victory screen but sometimes the other Phantom Thieves will chime in instead! I think Sakurai said they're all new recordings, including the quips on the stage.

Clearly green is what color the UI will be in Persona 6.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Having mentioned the lack of hand to hand female fighters in Smash, I hope to see one of the new DLC fighters being Jade from DQ11. Just think, martial arts, claws or a naginata! Not a sword to be seen!

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

I'm surprised they didn't use Bayo for anyone, or even a Persona

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Villager being Haru also works because of the axe.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Did some research, cool fact:

Haru may be a historical reference to Haru Hiratsuka (平塚 明), a Japanese feminist in the early 1910s. This is further supported by Haru's last name "Okumura" which is the same as Hiratsuka's artist lover, Hiroshi Okumura (奥村 博史).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

KILLLLLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEE

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Arist posted:

KILLLLLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEE

No.

You'll be running this LP till the end of days.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

:woop:

NEW PLAYTHROUGH

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I still find it kind of fucky if leaks are true that the switch port isn't going to have the things added to the royal.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Royal seems to be more of a redo than Golden and FES were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The ride never ends.