Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Play through the whole game a second time with no other changes just for the privilege of playing a bullshit bonus boss" sounds like Persona alright. :nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

The twins are the least bullshit of all 3 games bonus boss fights, they just seem worst than Margaret because you can fight them so early.

That they both have to be dead before their turn otherwise the living one would revive the other is undercut by the way you can make them quarter their HP with a persona with repel bless and curse

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It also helps that you can get something in NG+ that seems specifically tailored to help with fighting the twins. That's all I'll say with respect to spoilers for now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The little dance when they first start is very cute, before the fight with the flipping.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

It also helps that you can get something in NG+ that seems specifically tailored to help with fighting the twins. That's all I'll say with respect to spoilers for now.

Is it some way of spawning five sick Reapers in a single battle?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

TheKirbs posted:

The twins are the least bullshit of all 3 games bonus boss fights, they just seem worst than Margaret because you can fight them so early.

That they both have to be dead before their turn otherwise the living one would revive the other is undercut by the way you can make them quarter their HP with a persona with repel bless and curse

Its pretty hard to top Margaret and then Eliza "I will be waiting for you and you alone, at the bottom of the worst dungeon, to kill you instantly if you dont play by my rules" beth.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As long as you are aware that you need to finish of the twins in the same round then your pretty much golden in regards to understanding the fight.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arist, why are you having a child's tantrum over LPing Royal next year? I thought you liked Persona 5. :ironicat:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/persona-5-royal-third-semester-volume-beyond-expectations-of-persona-4-golden-players

quote:

The reason the subtitle is “Royal” is because we wanted to express our enthusiasm to make a gorgeous title.
We’re not simply adding new elements. We’re making it easier to earn experience points so you can play at a better tempo.
The play assist feature further implements everyone’s voices into the game. It considers your character parameters and confidants, then suggests a destination, which you can move to with the push of a button.
We’re making the volume of the newly implemented third semester to go beyond the expectations of those who have experienced the volume of Persona 4 Golden.
New character Kasumi increases the perspective and flavor of the story, and is someone who will expose existing characters in a new light. Naturally, she is being tweaked to blend into the story. As you play through the game, you will see a different side of her from the teaser trailer. Kasumi also has a confidant you can level up.
New confidant Maruki is an extremely nice adult character.
If we had to say “Yes” or “No” to there being new confidants other than Kasumi and Maruki, we would have to say “Yes.” Look forward to more information in the future.
If you have save data for Persona 5, you will get some sort of bonus. You will not be able to use the same save data for Persona 5 Royal however.
There are 20 new background music tracks.
There is a scene where the mysterious new handsome guy character sleeps in the same bed as the protagonist.

You know if they move the end of the game to the end of the third semester they might be able to fix a lot of the story issues with the second half of the game. Also more fujo bait with morgana.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
20 new tracks to replace the droning Mementos music!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 9, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Most importantly more Haru/other Waifu time.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Grouchio posted:

Most importantly more Haru/other Waifu time.

I’d be fine with SOME Haru time. The girl gets no screentime since everything shifts into overdrive after her dungeon ends. I could not tell you how her presence changes the group at all. I barely got her Confidant to level two before the game ended first time I played since she apparently uses the most complicated planters known to man.

Also, they are not being remotely subtle about who Handsome Man really is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I didn't even realize it was supposed to be a secret.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Geostomp posted:

Also, they are not being remotely subtle about who Handsome Man really is.

I'm not following this, but I'm going to do the obvious speculation:
---------- Pancakes? -------------

E: oh nevermind, it's not that dumb.
Still pretty dumb, but not terminally so.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 9, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stop ripping off Teddie, you coward. :argh:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Omobono posted:

I'm not following this, but I'm going to do the obvious speculation:
---------- Pancakes? -------------

E: oh nevermind, it's not that dumb.
Still pretty dumb, but not terminally so.

Why not so? Let's go all out with this. It's Morgana fused with Akechi. He found Akechi's body after everything, brought it to the Velvet Room, one double guillotine later, and bam!

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Imagine if you could feed confidants into the guillotine.... And the electric chair....

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Addendum VI: Downloadable Christfigures

I wanted to get something out today, but I couldn’t figure out exactly what I could post with what I had recorded at the moment.

So I went and paid 20 Real US Dollars for some bullshit I’ll never use! Let’s show off these DLC Personas! I shouldn’t be allowed to have money!

Let’s head to the Velvet Room and take care of that.

But first, let’s sit on the toilet and think for a while.

We can get rudimentary explanations of some basic concepts we already understand pretty well. Whatever.

Let’s take a nap while we’re here.

Five more minutes, Mooooom

...are…final…leave… If…voice…reached… ...am most…no… Even…must…relay… Please…remember… ...that… by your…own… ...reverse…repel… ...Chosen… ...cruel…save…world…
I feel like I can hear a voice coming from somewhere…

If you lay on the bed, Lavenza will try to send you a message, but it’s all scrambled and useless. It’s fun foreshadowing, though.

Now, let’s get to the meat of this: these DLC Personas. They’re all specially marked, and can each be summoned once for free. All of them also have a unique skill. Downloading these Personas will also make them available via fusion, which is kind of annoying because it’ll mess with the recipes, meaning the Strength Confidant special fusions are trickier to make work. It’s for this reason I didn’t download any (other than Izanagi, which I got for free) until NG+.

Izanagi is the Persona of the Persona 4 protagonist. He is a major creation deity who made many of the islands and deities of Japan along with Izanami.

Izanagi’s unique skill is Cross Slash, which deals Heavy Physical damage 1-2x with high accuracy.

In addition to the default colors, there are also “Picaro” versions of each Persona, which are recolors with better stats and slightly different skills in some cases.

Orpheus is the Persona of the Persona 3 protagonist. Well, the male one. The female protagonist also gets Orpheus, but a female one, somehow. Orpheus was a master lyre player who convinced Hades and Persephone to let him bring back his deceased wife Eurydice, but failed to follow their instructions out of anxiety and lost her forever.

Orpheus’ unique skill is Cadenza, which restores 50% of the party’s HP and increases their evasion rate.

Ariadne is the Persona of Labrys from Persona 4 Arena. I like Labrys a lot, she has an adorable Jersey accent. Anyway, Ariadne was the daughter of King Minos of Crete. She fell in love with Theseus, and gave him the tools to defeat the minotaur within her father’s labyrinth.

Ariadne’s unique skill is Beast Weaver, which deals Colossal Physical damage to a single foe, but causes the user to have their Attack reduced.

Asterius is the Persona of Shadow Labrys from Persona 4 Arena. It is the minotaur from Minos’ labyrinth, born from Pasiphae due to a curse.

Asterius’ unique skill is Titanomachia, which deals Severe Fire damage to all foes with a high chance of Fear.

Thanatos is the other Persona of the Persona 3 protagonist, which developed from having the avatar of Nyx sealed within them. It is the Greek personification of death and mortality, who brings mortals peaceful ends.

Thanatos’ unique skill is Door of Hades, which deals Heavy Almighty to all foes with a medium chance of insta-death.

Magatsu-Izanagi is the Persona of Tohru Adachi from Persona 4. It is the dark mirror of the protagonist’s Persona.

Magatsu-Izanagi’s unique skill is Magatsu Mandala, which deals Heavy Curse damage to all foes, with a medium chance of Confuse/Fear/Despair.

Tsukiyomi is the Persona of Sho Minazuki from Persona 4 Arena Uitimax. It is the Shinto god of the moon, born of Izanagi’s right eye.

Tsukiyomi’s unique skill is Abyssal Wings, which deals Severe Curse damage to all foes.

Kaguya is technically Marie’s Persona, but she doesn’t use it in her debut game, Persona 4 Golden. It has a unique Persona design and is heavily associated with her in that game, being the final Persona of her Arcana. She does eventually use it in her appearance in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. Marie is a pretty controversial character, but this is honestly one of my very favorite Persona designs, I think it’s cool as hell. Kaguya is a divine, celestial being from a people who lived on the moon. She was found inside a bamboo shoot, and became renowned for her beauty, rejecting all who proposed to her.

Kaguya’s unique skill is Shining Arrows, which deals Light Bless damage to all foes 4-8x.

Messiah is the ultimate Persona of the Persona 3 protagonist, who is really goddamn overrepresented here, I think. He’s the motherfucking messiah, maybe you’ve heard of him.

Messiah’s unique skill is Oratorio, which fully restores the party’s HP and negates all debuffs.

And that’s all the DLC Personas! I spent like twenty bucks on this update, so you better have enjoyed it!

Arist fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 13, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Thanatos Picaro is gaudy and awful in the way that only real goths can be.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Arist you don't have to let this game hurt you anymore

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think Thanatos is also the persona Elizabeth uses in Arena

Aegis' personas should have been here too, imo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Arist posted:

Kaguya is a divine, celestial being from a people who lived on the moon. She was found inside a bamboo shoot, and became renowned for her beauty, rejecting all who proposed to her.

It's actually of some interest to literary scholars that Kaguya is not described as divine or godly in any way. While she's certainly celestial, being literally from the sky, the moon people are treated as if they're simply from some advanced otherworldly culture, rather than being gods descended to Earth. For this reason, the tale of Princess Kaguya is sometimes considered one of the earliest science fiction stories. In pop culture she tends to be associated with rocketships and space aliens more than mythology proper, which is probably why her design looks a little like a spacesuit here.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 13, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What's the dealio with this Labrys person?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember hearing that the historical basis for Kaguya and the moon people might be Westerners.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What's the dealio with this Labrys person?

prototype anti-shadow android of the same type as aigis, the lab's AI learning program required the prototypes to slaughter each other until they spontaneously manifested a persona and this turned out about as well as you'd expect

she destroyed the lab and fled but the trauma caused her to develop a shadow, which was the antagonist for most of the first fighting game

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Izanagi to this day is still my favorite Persona design. It just look so loving cool. Also M. Izanagi Picaro's jack-o'-lantern face looks so goofy, and so cool at the same time it's great.

I wonder why they didn't put in Izanagi-no-Okami if they put in Messiah?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

prototype anti-shadow android of the same type as aigis, the lab's AI learning program required the prototypes to slaughter each other until they spontaneously manifested a persona and this turned out about as well as you'd expect

she destroyed the lab and fled but the trauma caused her to develop a shadow, which was the antagonist for most of the first fighting game

Someday anime scientists will figure out to not give their artificial lifeforms traumatic backstories.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someday anime scientists will figure out to not give their artificial lifeforms traumatic backstories.

The anime robots need the trauma to manifest their psychic persona powers though. Otherwise they'd just be boring useless robots with normal personalities.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, it's a Thing in P3 that you don't really get a Persona unless you're traumatized.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, it's a Thing in P3 that you don't really get a Persona unless you're traumatized.

Given how relatively easily the P4 and, debatably, P5 cast get their Personas, I think that the Kirijo Group scientists were just a bit too enamored with pointless malice. As shown with just about everything else they did.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Honestly, the P5 cast didn't necessarily have it that much easier than the P3 cast, it's just that they awakened to it a bit more fully than the P3 cast, arguably, EVER did. Neither P4 nor P5 require artificial tools for it, but also arguably the traumas that the Shadows represented in P4 and the traumas that the P5 cast went through still sucked rear end.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I can imagine that having to endure agony when your Persona pipes up and having to rip part of your face off probably also sucked.

Did they ever explain why the P3 group were the only ones who needed an external device to summon where everyone else can just focus hard enough to do it?

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 13, 2019

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
My best guess would be that P4 and P5 groups come to terms with who and what their Shadows and the parts of themselves they represent, whereas the P3 group activates their Personas simply by making the brain poo poo itself in terror from fight-or-flight. They never actually treat the Persona as a controlled Shadow of themselves, just a power they can use. So they're forcing it out, instead of it being awakened like the P4 and P5 group have.

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
Oh, I feel bad for you, you think you're safe but then an enhanced edition comes which forces you to go back from the start.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Geostomp posted:

I can imagine that having to endure agony when your Persona pipes up and having to rip part of your face off probably also sucked.

Did they ever explain why the P3 group were the only ones who needed an external device to summon where everyone else can just focus hard enough to do it?

A good part of it is that summoning a Persona is much easier in the TV world/Metaverse compared to the Dark Hour, probably because they both exist closer to the collective subconsciousness than Tartarus. When the P3 crew enters the TV world in Arena they're all able to summon without an Evoker.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BisbyWorl posted:

A good part of it is that summoning a Persona is much easier in the TV world/Metaverse compared to the Dark Hour, probably because they both exist closer to the collective subconsciousness than Tartarus. When the P3 crew enters the TV world in Arena they're all able to summon without an Evoker.

The dungeons in 4 and 5 are actually part of the collective unconscious when you visit them. The Dark Hour is closer to the end of 5 when the magic mindzone of all humanity overlays the real world. Also the method used is different for how the collective unconscious physically manifests.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Clarste posted:

It's actually of some interest to literary scholars that Kaguya is not described as divine or godly in any way.

The in-game description uses "divine," so that'll learn me for trusting it! :v:

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Arist posted:

The in-game description uses "divine," so that'll learn me for trusting it! :v:

Japan leans heavily on the idea that anything associated with "up" is Divine, for example in Dragon Quest, Priests generally get wind and lightning magic. So maybe they used some wording meaning "from above" or "from the heavens" and they just translated that as Divine. Just a guess though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Prythian posted:

My best guess would be that P4 and P5 groups come to terms with who and what their Shadows and the parts of themselves they represent, whereas the P3 group activates their Personas simply by making the brain poo poo itself in terror from fight-or-flight. They never actually treat the Persona as a controlled Shadow of themselves, just a power they can use. So they're forcing it out, instead of it being awakened like the P4 and P5 group have.

The P3 crew doesn't learn that Shadows and Personas are the same until Metis tells them in The Answer. Sure, at the time it feels like just a bit of extra lore they tacked on, but P4 built on that concept.

Clarste posted:

The anime robots need the trauma to manifest their psychic persona powers though. Otherwise they'd just be boring useless robots with normal personalities.

The best/worst part of Labrys' backstory is when the robot that needs an emotional core to manifest her psychic persona powers starts getting emotional (Read: Labrys just got a bittersweet set of memories and resolves to take on the task her best friend can no longer accomplish because Labrys just killed her), the scientists assume she's defective and want to scrub her memory clean and start over.

And that's when Labrys starts breaking poo poo.