Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Persona 5 is much more lenient with time than Persona 3 or 4 was. I think I managed to Max all my Confidants with about two weeks to spare and I wasted a lot of time leveling up Knowledge early.

Then again, I have played Persona 3 & 4 multiple times and I found out the best way to level Confidants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I feel our recent adventures with Morgana telling us we can't do things makes this very relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw7_k8GTVnQ

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Deltasquid posted:

Every demon gets a descriptive name like "Heavenly Punisher" when you haven't fused/recruited them yet. I presume as a way to prevent you from googling their weaknesses or something? Or simply as a style choice the same way people are described as "Rude Boy" and such before you learn their names.

When you recruit them they always say something like "Oh, now I remember! I'm Jack Frost, from the sea of souls!" So thematically speaking, they're actually nameless before you recruit them, because by being stuck in a Palace they've forgotten who they are.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

GoneRampant posted:

But I'll mirror what's been said- Kamoshida's Palace is a monster to beat in one day, but much like Yukiko's Castle in P4, this is the real hurdle; the other Palaces get significantly easier to do in one day after this.

Not having played this game, but from all the comments posted here, I feel the comparison to Yukiko's Castle in Persona 4 is apt. I know I got destroyed by the midboss in that level the first time I attempted it because I was overconfident and underleveled, and from threads on that game, I know I wasn't the only one. Shadow Yukiko is also sort of a test boss, so I see Kamoshida's Palace and that Berith in the same way.

That being said, I probably wouldn't try to beast through the Palace in a single afternoon, I doubt I'd be able to conserve and budget my SP enough to do so. I remember I was even cutting it close my first time doing Yukiko's Castle in P4, since I was convinced I needed to grind more after getting destroyed by the midboss, and then was low on SP and healing items after at I think I needed at least 3 days to do it, and the last couple were when it was raining, so it was really close.

I eventually got better at the game and did dungeons as quickly as I could, mostly in a single day, so as to have more time to do other stuff, but that was after I was better prepared, and yes, later dungeons felt easier, but then again, you tend to be better at the game at that point. I doubt I'd be able to single day this Palace when starting this game out myself, and probably wouldn't try.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 23, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 14.5: Side Note: Some Useful Information

Last time, we got some assorted tutorials that we never ended up checking. I figured I’d use this opportunity to go into those and also the various skill types.

This game has a ton of negative status effects, most of which are new or at the very least renamed. Let’s review them.

Burn, Freeze, and Shock are applied by Fire, Ice, and Electricity skills, respectively. This is the only way to inflict them. Burn is just the old RPG standby of Poison, making you take damage every turn. Freeze prevents you from acting, while Shock is the same, but with the added potential of passing the status onto others. This includes enemies who use melee attacks on you, and vice versa.

Dizzy reduces our accuracy, Forget prevents you from using skills just like Silence, and Sleep prevents you from acting until woken up, usually by getting attacked, but with the interesting twist of minor HP and SP restoration every turn we remain asleep.

Confuse causes us to waste items or throw away money. Fear causes afflicted party members to ignore commands regularly and occasionally even flee the battle entirely.

Now, Despair is wholly devastating. You can’t act, your SP drains, and you loving die in three turns, which is an… interesting take on depression. Rage is Berserk. We’ll attack automatically with increased strength, but much worse defense.

Brainwash causes us to heal and buff enemies and attack allies. Hunger just lowers our attack power considerably.

Remember that many enemies, discounting bosses and minibosses, are just as vulnerable to status effects as the party is. Unfortunately, not that many of the party’s skills (outside of Ann’s) have the potential to inflict statuses. Ann’s also the only party member to get any skill with a high chance of inflicting any status. Considering I ended up not using Ann all that much in my previous run, it’s easy to forget how useful they can be.

Also worth noting is that depending on what status the enemy is hit with, it may make them unable to negotiate. Enemies that are asleep or frozen, for example, are obviously in no state to talk. Attempting to negotiate in this case will cause the relevant status to be cured.

Now, Technical attacks are like Critical strikes in that they deal more damage, but different in that they don’t knock down the enemy or give a 1 more.

Wind can’t inflict any status ailments and can only perform one kind of Technical attack, which might be why it costs slightly less SP than the other spells.

Once we get Nuclear skills, they’ll be a good way to follow up on these physical ailments.

Anything afflicted with a mental ailment will take extra damage from Psychokinesis.

And asleep or dizzied enemies will also take extra damage from all sources.

This is just more information on how to deal with Shadow negotiations.

I feel I should also cover the weird skill language while I’m here:
  • Agi is Fire, Bufu is Ice, Garu is Wind, and Zio is Electricity. Kouha is Bless and Eiha is Curse. Also, we haven’t gotten to them yet but Frei is Nuclear and Psi is Psychokinesis.
  • For buffs and debuffs, which we’ll go over the uses of later, Taru-, Raku-, and Suku- are Attack, Defense, and Hit Rate/Evasion, respectively. Likewise, the -kaja suffix means it increases that parameter, while -nda decreases it.
  • Ma- at the front is multitarget.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 24, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I never really cared about Technicals all that much.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Junpei posted:

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I never really cared about Technicals all that much.
I mostly cared about getting hit by them. Trying to inflict them was too much hassle most of the time when I could just put that energy into hitting a weakness or attacking harder.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The mileage that comes out of technicals comes from the ease of which you can set them up.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
the only Technicals which I get off a lot are the psychic ones
and thats only because I love confusing enemies

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Burn, Shock, and Freeze are too unreliable to build a strategy around, but mental ailments can be exceptionally useful, especially on Hard. However, Dizzy is king poo poo of status ailment mountain and I wish I had learned how to take advantage of it sooner. You can still get screwed if the RNG is against you, and enemies can still debuff and heal with it, but the damage boost is nothing to sneeze at.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
One other thing is that some enemies are much more likely to be affected by ailments than others. And generally speaking, if an enemy has no weaknesses, there's a good chance they fall into that category.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Excluding Ann and Joker, there are three other characters (one being Ryuji) that can inflict a status (not including the random Burn/Freeze/Shock). Which is around 2/3rds of the cast.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

DeafNote posted:

the only Technicals which I get off a lot are the psychic ones
and thats only because I love confusing enemies

Same here, though it helps that confuse seems to stick to a LOT of enemies. Plus, I had a dedicated confuse persona with me for most of the game for....reasons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Excluding Ann and Joker, there are three other characters (one being Ryuji) that can inflict a status (not including the random Burn/Freeze/Shock). Which is around 2/3rds of the cast.

Yeah, but most of those are on Physical skills you're probably going to upgrade away.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
In all honesty, I kept all but one of them til the endgame. Having the chance to disrupt an otherwise tough enemy with no weaknesses can mean breezing through another random fight or resetting. Having status on physical skills also makes them 'cheaper' to use, since Ann's status moves take away from her SP pool. She has a generous amount, but you don't want to go too nuts with it anyway.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I never really bothered much.

But there are some enemies who actually use this strategy and I wiped to one of them. Painful lesson.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

OutofSight posted:

I just love the insane fetish decor in Kamoshida's dungeon. "Sexy volleyball mannequin" elevator? Sure thing. I am looking forward what the other heist dungeons have to offer.
Yeah its really good for a laugh.

Also, Arist, you exemplified what I expect from LPs with those One Piece jokes, I want all the stupid jokes you can make. It makes this about you and the game rather than just about the game, and thats what LPs are about I think.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I've come to realize I absolutely adore Forget. It sticks to so much and so much spam their skills.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Materant posted:

I've come to realize I absolutely adore Forget. It sticks to so much and so much spam their skills.

To most enemies, Forget is like, the third version of Freeze. I don't think Atlus really thought it through too well honestly, most enemies will keep trying to use their skills through the entire duration of it and it's free hits forever.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, for a Persona thread, there's certainly been a lack of "X is my waifu" or "Y is Best Girl". I mean, I know that the spoiler rule is keeping those at bay, but I'd at least expect someone to chime in with a "Ann is my waifu" at this point.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Junpei posted:

You know, for a Persona thread, there's certainly been a lack of "X is my waifu" or "Y is Best Girl". I mean, I know that the spoiler rule is keeping those at bay, but I'd at least expect someone to chime in with a "Ann is my waifu" at this point.

Nonono, shut up right now before this thread goes south again.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
There's literally no point in having a waifu-war when we're avoiding spoilers. Have we even established a dateable Confidant yet?

Also neither of the other P5 threads have anything like that so I have no idea why you're bringing that poo poo up.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Sorry, I guess GameFAQs and other places ruined it for me.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
Junpei is my waifu

Artelier posted:

wai fuul around with skirting spoilers

loving bravo

Cuveball Sliders fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 25, 2017

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Yosuke is mine because I like my men with a healthy dose of self-loathing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

wai fuul around with skirting spoilers when we can just talk about what's going on in the lp

i also found it hard to one day this dungeon

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I fully recommend banning anyone who uses the word waifu to talk about female characters.

and also banning Junpei because he's the worst poster in the subforum

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Being banned is my waifu

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

GeneX posted:

I fully recommend banning anyone who uses the word waifu to talk about female characters.

and also banning Junpei because he's the worst poster in the subforum
Someone make this person a mod.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I apologize for using that word, and furthermore explain that I was using that word ironically.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
The last persona game I played was 3 (FES), and I really loved the style and atmosphere but remember it being incredibly annoying and difficult. It sounds like they ramped down the annoying in 4 and 5 (time management issues, bad luck being able to screw you really easily, etc). How does the difficulty generally compare? Can random battles still realistically end in game over?

Granted, I'm better at games than back then but I also have way less time to play them. Is this worth putting the time into? I really like the phantom thief concept and the direction the story seems to have taken but there are a few things that either look unfinished or poorly implemented. Is this game worth it for someone with limited time and money to put into gaming these days?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Generally speaking, with all the QoL improvements, it's become easier and easier to play and see the game to the end. You could probably give this an hour every day or something like that and I'd say it's worth your time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A Bystander posted:

You could probably give this an hour every day or something like that and I'd say it's worth your time.
It would also last you a solid 3-4 months at that pace, depending. Persona 5 is a long game.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
Alright awesome. Thank you, I'll look into it. Until then this LP should tide me over

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Confusion is your ticket to infinite riches and items. But that's for another time. I'm sure Arist will get to it when it's relevant, but it really your best way to earning cash early on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 15: 4/20-4/21: Not Safe For Work

Let’s try that again, shall we?

Music: Last Surprise

Thankfully, this iteration of the Heavenly Punisher is weak to Electricity.

We dispatch it in short measure.

And right ahead is another safe room.

This owl thing is called Andras, and it uses… Ice? I think? I never really let it attack much because it’s weak to Fire and Ann still had about half her SP at this point.

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves (Another Version)

Skipping ahead a bit, we come to an odd corridor.

Odd because it’s full of swinging implements of death, you see.

It’s a classic security measure. My tail might be in danger if we try to force our way through…
Oh yeah, same for Panther’s. So… what do we do? No way we’re gettin’ through here as is.

I didn’t think it would be that easy. We’ll probably need some kind of key for it...
We gotta look for a key again? What a pain in the rear end...
Where would it be though? There weren’t any suspicious rooms on the way here.
Hm… What do you think, Joker?

Hm… That probably would be the most likely scenario...
An enemy? Y’mean one of them Shadows that’s roamin’ around? Dude, how many of ‘em do you think there are? We can’t beat the crap outta all of them!
The key is for this tower, so it would have to be one of the Shadows around here. On top of that, it would have to be a relatively high-ranking one.
Then we just need to look for Shadows like that and defeat them!
Let’s do this, Joker! We need to find the Shadow with that key!

First up, though, we need some more SP. Mmm, Placentastic!

I should also note that this is the point where we finally run out of those 30 Adhesive Bandages we bought. I’ll need to pick up more later.

Back downstairs, we see a captain over on the left.

Music: Keeper of Lust

Double Fangs is a light Physical strike that hits twice, which means...

...it takes this guy no time at all to pound us flat. So, the head-on approach clearly isn’t going to work. Let’s try a different tack.

Miniboss: War-hungry Horseman

If we use the Dormina skill Ann learned...

We can put the War-hungry Horseman (Eligor) to sleep for its turn.

It gets a minor amount of HP and SP back, but nothing we can’t handle.

We can also score a Technical attack while we’re at it. Ultimately, it goes down without much trouble (poor Ryuji).

Oh, I just figured it out! This must be how we stop those scythes!
Oh, yeah… Now that I think about it, the statue didn’t have eyes...
Ugh, how much grosser can he get? So this is gonna stop those things, huh?
Well, we’ll need one more. Another guard captain probably has it. Let’s try checking the other floors, Joker!

Crap… They all look like high-rankin’ soldiers! Are we gonna have to beat all of ‘em!?
That would work, but there should only be one actual guard captain among them. Do you have any way to tell them apart, Joker? I’d think you of all people would have the skills to figure out which is the real one.

(We have to use Third Eye, in case the game wasn’t screaming it loud enough)

The one glowing gold is the one we’re after. It’s just the same enemy, I won’t bother explaining how to fight it twice.

Ryuji also learns the very useful skill Tarukaja from the fight, which increases an ally’s Attack for three turns.

Sweet, we got both of that bastard’s eyes! Let’s go stop those swingin’ things!

Back upstairs...

>Use the eyes

A loving Legend of Zelda chime plays. Yeah, real tough “solving” that “puzzle.”

Further in, we come to another room with a set of stairs that refuses to activate.

Are you ready, Joker?

It is nowhere for children like yourselves! Prepare for your punishment!
What kind of selfish reasoning is that!? The only one who needs to be punished is--

Uh, well, this is really--

A-Ahhhhhhhhh!

--Yeah, more or less.

It’s coming!

GROSS

Miniboss: Torn King of Desire

‘Sup, dickhead.

Okay, so the Torn King of Desire… ugh… will stare at Ann.

This is her cue to defend.

Which is good, because it’ll hit with Assault Dive for a ton of damage.

It tries to heal itself, but there’s no real point. We take it down within three turns.

I-I’m so done with this place…

YEP. SAME.

Hang in there, Panther. We’re almost at the Treasure.

Further in, we find our next (and final) safe room.

Next, we have to climb up this rear end...

...to reach this window.

Quiet down, you idiot!

Music: Desire

And a ton of soldiers…
How have you not captured the intruders yet!?
I apologize, my liege!
I bet he’d never imagine we’re in the same room as him. Come on, let’s keep moving...

Music: Disquiet

That Treasure thing’s gotta be in here!

Just hold on a second. I was planning on telling you more once we made it this far. Simply finding the Treasure isn’t enough. We’ll need to make it materialize before we can steal it.

Whaddya mean…?
Desires have no physical form by nature. Hence, we’ll first need to make the real person aware that their desires are in fact a Treasure. Once they’re conscious that their desires might be stolen, the Treasure will finally show itself.
But how do we do that?

So we’re gonna send a calling card!? That’s totally what a phantom thief would do!

That again…? Either way, sounds like it’s worth givin’ it a shot!
Our infiltration route is secure. All that’s left now is to pump out a calling card in reality, then come back to take the Treasure!
This is it, huh?

That’s the spirit! Once we send out the calling card, there will be no turning back.

Well done, team. The mission was a success. We managed to get through the Palace in a single day, which is really, really difficult. My first run through this game, I needed three days. The benefit’s really just having more time to do Confidants, but it’s well worth the trouble.

The Infiltration Log is pretty pointless. It keeps track of what you’ve done, sure, but there’s no way of knowing how much further is left from it.

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Let’s hurry to bed and get some rest.

Wait, what?

Yeah, so you can’t do poo poo on days you enter the Metaverse. It’s a huge bummer. Persona 4 gave you some options, but for now we’ve got nothing.

Not too tired to hang out with Sojiro, cat.

It hit me like a goddamn ton of bricks right when I sat down...
Well, I guess we did walk pretty far in. I’m glad we found that Treasure thing though.
So Kamoshida’ll turn into a good guy if we steal that, huh…

See ya!
The real challenge is coming up. I hope you’re ready.

The opposition party is blaming the prime minister for appointing him in the first place…

That’s the opposition party for ya. What a bunch of lovable rapscallions.

Sheesh… It seems like someone who was pretty high up was forced to resign.

Good idea. Goodbye, weed number. I'm glad we could spend three updates on you.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Makes sense, having nutrition handy and all. Makes it easier to study. OK… No more food talk. Hurk!

We found the Treasure, so all that’s left is to send the calling card. We have some time until the board meeting though. What do you want to do today?

These before-school events give us a chance to “commit” and head straight to the hideout once class ends. We can always duck out and come back though if we’re feeling underprepared. Let’s try it.

I can’t just sit and do nothing when I think about Shiho. And I won’t let you guys get expelled either. Kamoshida won’t get away with this…! We’ll talk in more detail after school.

I’m sure both Ryuji and Lady Ann are uneasy, too. So make sure you talk to them about it, OK? Oh, yeah, we said we’d meet at the hideout… OK, let’s head there now!

Music: Suspicion

Couldn’t we have just sent one at the beginnin’ of all this…?
It’s not that simple. A Treasure won’t stay materialized forever. Once the impression is gone, the Treasure will disappear. I think it’ll last around a day, at most.
The hell…? That’s like no time at all… Anyways, we can send a callin’ card right now, yeah? Let’s do it and steal that bastard’s heart!

So, the important stuff here is to remember that we have to be fully prepared before sending the calling card, because that eats a day for some reason. We’re not fully prepared, so we need to duck out for a quick second.

But it’s raining… so I may get an influx of people with colds.
Come to think of it, I might collapse again if I take that medicine...I feel like I need Bold Guts in order to take that medicine… I shouldn’t suggest a clinical trial...

Aww, no hanging with Takemi. Well, we’re not here for that anyway.

We need some of these Takemedic-Alls, as well as more Revivadrins and Recov-R: 50 mgs. The Takemedic-Alls will be vital later because they restore 50 HP for the entire party.

Next, we head to Untouchable to get all this junk we found in the Palace off our hands. I totally forget to sell the useless armor we found in that chest while we’re here, because I’m a dumbass.

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

On the way out, we spy something unusual...

Return here whenever you wish. It shall be of your own accord...
That’s what he said… But, how do I go back to that room?

Hey, Inmate!
Our master awaits. Please come this way.

Caroline just gives you a swift, impatient kick in the rear end.

Music: Aria of the Soul

How does it feel slipping into the unusual from your usual life…?
Our master has arranged an access point to assist you in coming here directly from the real world.
That door you just went through is it! Be thankful, Inmate!
This too shall aid in your rehabilitation. Make good use of it.

So, now we can also access the Velvet Room from the real world, which we’re going to make heavy use of later.

Also worth noting: I totally missed two SP drinks in the arcade, mainly because they weren’t in the guide, dammit.

Well, let’s send the calling card.

I’ve been waitin’ to hear you say that!

So we send the calling card in the morning… and carry out the plan by the end of the day, right?
Correct. The effect won’t last that long. ...Are you worried?
Heh. Waited too long.
Perfect.

So, who’s going to write the card?

Why?
Why…? Why wouldn’t it be me!?
This is important. Are you sure you can handle the pressure?
I must agree.
I really wanna get him good! Lemme write it… C’mon, please?

Hey, are you sure about this…? If they find out our identities, all this work will be for nothing...
I know, I know!

You’d better not slack off on this.

It’s a bit late for that, Morgana.

Are you sure you’re really capable of this!?
Don’t worry, I got it. I even made a logo for us.
...A logo?
Yup. You’ll get to see it tomorrow.
Well that’s worrying...

Yup, I’m sure we can do this.
Just remember, we can’t trust any lovely adults. That’s why we gotta do this ourselves. Anyways, let’s pull this off and surprise everyone!

Many other incidents similar to this one have been reported recently. In all cases, there was no warning or indication exhibited by the afflicted. Police have not released an official statement regarding this similarity, but…
So there’ve been a lot of strange incidents, huh? Seems like this world has got its own problems.

There’s pretty much only one thing the game will let us do on the day we send the calling card: make tools. I have no idea why. It’s not like the game wants you to be spending an extended amount of time in the Palace on the day you steal the Treasure.

Anyway, we make two Lockpicks and receive Proficiency +2. Tomorrow, we’re finally going after Kamoshida’s Treasure.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 26, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

For a second I thought he was talking about, y'know, and I was wondering if I was reading into it too much.

Arist posted:

It’s coming!

And then this happened. :stare:

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
I managed to clear the dungeon in one day, but I had to use the Soma from the free DLC. Otherwise I died before even seeing the first key holder.

Also Arist, Before you finish the dungeon can you take a second look at the Throne Room architecture? Specifically the two pillars near the entrance and the protrusions from the ceiling (Someone in Atlus was really dedicated to this dungeon's theme :v:).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

drat I actually laughed at this, I'm twelve.

the translators probably had a lot of fun this part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I laughed out loud at the head of a certain green penis just finding its way into the dungeon. It's a nice touch.