Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm rather excited to see what Royal does with all of this, because by nature of the stuff they're adding they're going to have to heavily restructure the end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This game needed it, so anything Royal does is going to make it a better experience. I assume a lot of the endgame is going to be heavy on Haru and Sae and Aketchi, since they get almost zero time to shine in the proper game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gen. Ripper posted:

Oh so Futaba doesn't exist to you. Man, no wonder you like Sae.

I actually forgot about that part of Futaba’s story. Sorry, I thought you were actually talking about Makoto being the abuse victim.

In context, she threatens Sojiro once in regards to taking him to family court, believes much like Makoto that Sojiro is possibly abusing Futaba, and probably would not let Futaba go back to her abusive relatives if she was aware of them, which she might not be.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Sae sucks.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

i mean dojima locking you up makes sense in the context of him being the original person they had planned to be the murderer, except that they changed that last minute to Adachi and in classic Atlus fashion just left it untouched

poo poo iirc he's one of the options when you're deciding who the REAL killer is and it's basically just "yah ur right on all accounts but uhh what about nanako"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Iamgoofball posted:

i mean dojima locking you up makes sense in the context of him being the original person they had planned to be the murderer, except that they changed that last minute to Adachi and in classic Atlus fashion just left it untouched

poo poo iirc he's one of the options when you're deciding who the REAL killer is and it's basically just "yah ur right on all accounts but uhh what about nanako"

Hell, that even explains why you're so eager to leave at the end of the year. I think I prefer the story as it is, Adachi turned into a great foil for Yu, but it's still frustrating that they didn't brush it up a little better.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Iamgoofball posted:

Literally every named character in the game is an option when you're deciding who the killer is.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 16, 2019

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

WRT to Dojima, turning your ward over to the cops is lovely no matter what, but he has the mitigating circumstance of (I assume, I haven't played P4 so don't quote me on this) the entire country not screaming for you to be killed and left for the buzzards when he does it.

(Sae would 100% have arrested Makoto and let her swing tho)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Why does everyone want to gently caress sae anyway

is it the eyeshadow

I guess people just like mean older sisters.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gen. Ripper posted:

WRT to Dojima, turning your ward over to the cops is lovely no matter what, but he has the mitigating circumstance of (I assume, I haven't played P4 so don't quote me on this) the entire country not screaming for you to be killed and left for the buzzards when he does it.

(Sae would 100% have arrested Makoto and let her swing tho)

And this is again what I'm talking about, because it requires the worst possible reading of Sae, which the text itself refutes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

And this is again what I'm talking about, because it requires the worst possible reading of Sae, which the text itself refutes.
Basically every other authority figure is some shade of horrible person. Why should Sae be the one exception?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Basically every other authority figure is some shade of horrible person. Why should Sae be the one exception?

She is, for the early parts of the story before her change of heart is the point I am making, not that she did nothing wrong, but that she realises what she did wrong and strives to fix it on her own instead of having to be forced to change her mind. Maybe it's slower than the total 180 that actually stealing the treasure would've caused, but Sae's palace disappearing after the end of that sequence is proof she did change, and no longer has distorted desires or feelings or thought patterns.

My problem is that people are uninterested in the fact that Sae is working to be a better person, we just don't see much of it because of how the game is written sadly.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Wasn’t the whole point of Sae’s Palace that she was dangerously close to crossing a serious line, but not at the point of no return yet? Her changing was a little weak, but that comes back to the decision of the framing device of the game spanning interrogation. You know, the one that presents her as paranoid enough to assume every single interaction the player has as a diabolical plot, yet patient enough to sit through the every irrelevant detail of seven months of a clearly drugged teenager’s life.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Geostomp posted:

Wasn’t the whole point of Sae’s Palace that she was dangerously close to crossing a serious line, but not at the point of no return yet? Her changing was a little weak, but that comes back to the decision of the framing device of the game spanning interrogation. You know, the one that presents her as paranoid enough to assume every single interaction the player has as a diabolical plot, yet patient enough to sit through the every irrelevant detail of seven months of a clearly drugged teenager’s life.

Where she also shows concern repeatedly that said teenager has been drugged with truth serum, and is willing to hear him out no matter how fantastical because she wants the truth and justice not just an easy win. It's an interesting framing device, and Sae ultimately saves the player because she a) believes them and b) realises she's been awful to her sister and other people in her pursuit of "victory at all costs" mentality.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

because we actually get to follow sae's deterioration through the entire course of the game, unlike the other targets. she's a dumping ground for abuse from the SIU and even the douchey teenager who follows her around, and vents her stress in turn on makoto, which (along with further blackmail from the principal and general contempt from her classmates) leads makoto to lash out in drastic and potentially life-ruining ways

that dinnertime conversation between sae and makoto wasn't just there to whip the audience up into a froth, it was to show how abuse is perpetrated by the powerful and trickles down to the powerless. sae's just an intermediary (with the origin being, again, fuckin shido). she was on her way to becoming just as despicable as the other targets, but managed to pull back of her own accord - something else that differentiates her from the other targets

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Grapplejack posted:

is it the eyeshadow

Well, there's the hat too, and the yellow eyes... but honestly? Yeah, pretty much.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Grapplejack posted:

is it the eyeshadow

Nah, if anything, I feel like the eye-shadow completely ruins the look.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grapplejack posted:

is it the eyeshadow

She's the only female confidant who isn't romancable so it's probably about that.

Alternatively the simpler explanation is that she's a single female in a game with dating mechanics and therefore nerds feel she should be available.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not gonna lie, I really don't like Sae but my poor bi heart is over the moon about that Goth-Noir look her shadow has (though I'd prefer if her eyeliner wasn't so thick).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Addendum XV: False Closure, Part 1

A long, long time ago, one of you asked me to show what happens when we don’t change a heart by the deadline. Specifically, Kaneshiro’s. I actually went ahead and recorded it back then, but ended up vetoing that idea at the time for fear of spoilers. Might as well now though, right?

We’ve got three days left to change Kaneshiro’s heart. Plenty of time.

Oddly ominous, considering who we’re dealing with.

Kaneshiro’s deadline is almost here. We’re in big trouble if things continue as they are. We know where the Treasure is. All we have to do now is send the calling card. I think we should send it today even. Well?

What are you saying!? Kaneshiro’s deadline is the 9th! We’ll still make it in time if we send the calling card today. Got it? I’ll be waiting after school.

Hey idiot, send the calling card today, you moron.

Can’t think of anything else we need to do.

Psh, you’re imagining things.

The game automatically fast-forwards to the next day.

What is your plan? We don’t have that much time left…

The screen pulses white with each cut.

Even through her drug-induced stupor, she managed to identify one name clearly—yours.

We’d like to speak in more detail about the ramifications of this.

So… that’s dark.

Music: Interrogation Room

*sigh*

In any case, it seems it’d be a waste of time to speak to you any longer. ...It’s unfortunate.

I would like to stress that the preceding scene was double non-canon by being an alternate, false recollection of the game’s events induced by druuuuugs. It did not actually happen in any version of this game’s reality.

That trivial righteousness that you’ve paraded around…? This is how such idiocy ends.

They hide the voice behind a filter but it’s so loving obviously Robbie Daymond it’s funny they even bothered.

Huh? Hey! Someone! He’s dead! He’s killed himself! Dammit! Where did he hide a gun!?

What a truly foolish end…

And we get the choice to warp back a week to fix our idiotic mistakes. Smart design. However, we’re not done yet. Next, we’re going to see one of the “real” alternate endings, one that’s slightly more involved than a glorified game over screen.

Music: Interrogation Room

Your operation was leaked, and you failed to change my heart. There’s no point in being obstinate now. You’ve corrupted the order of this country and caused an uprising against its very existence. You’ll most likely be given life imprisonment or the death penalty. ...Unless you accept my proposal.

Tell me honestly whether or not the following are involved with the Phantom Thieves.

Yep!

You’ve made a wise choice. Thank you. I’ll do my best with what you’ve told me.

What the gently caress, Sae? I did what you wanted, and you just praised me, and then you turn around and twist the knife?

Maaku sits and stews with his awesome decision.

Music: Desire

Why do you seem so surprised?
I needed my director to step in to get access and I was directly responsible for this case. How did you get approval?
For the same reason you did. I am heading up the investigation team, after all. It’s only natural I’d have the right to interrogate our culprit as well, don’t you think?

...That was a joke, of course. I’m merely here to assist with the public security interrogation. I am surprised it’s this far underground though… There aren’t any others incarcerated here, yes? Nobody would ever know if things got a little violent…
If I remember correctly… didn’t you say there was another culprit besides the Phantom Thieves?
That was but a lie I spread to set them up. Oh, I’m sorry! I forgot that I had deceived you too, Sae-san. After all, if you wish to trick your enemies, you must first trick your allies.

Is that so? I’d better perform well myself. I can’t leave here without some kind of evidence now.
…Good luck in there.

Going in unarmed to interrogate a murderer makes me uncomfortable…

That’s right. You and your little friends were vital to our plan. And now, it will be completed.

Music: Betrayer

Huh? Hey! Someone! He’s dead! He’s killed himself! Dammit! Where did he hide a gun!?

And it ends the same way as before.

Music: Aria of the Soul

It appears I have underestimated you.

This line still makes no sense. But it’s Yaldy speaking, so maybe he underestimated how much we suck?

The assistance that we provided was all for naught.

I already died, though.

Music: Freedom and Security

And now the credits roll with the Mementos Depths theme playing instead of the normal credits theme.

So, lesson learned: don’t betray your friends or you’ll get shot in the face.

This is technically a “real” ending, so instead of a rewind they let you save clear data and start the game over.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Poor Akechi. He's so misunderstood and not at all a complete psycho.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Poor Akechi. He's so misunderstood and not at all a complete psycho.

Can't wait for Royal to give us the option to save him and keep him in the party forever as if he isn't personally responsible for murdering Futaba's mom and Haru's dad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

But he's so DREAMY! :syoon:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BisbyWorl posted:

Can't wait for Royal to give us the option to save him and keep him in the party forever as if he isn't personally responsible for murdering Futaba's mom and Haru's dad.

You're not going deep enough: Royal will go full Gundam Seed Remastered and retcon all of his intentional killings. Futaba's mom is really alive somehow, and Haru's dad walks in front of Akechi's gun as he's shooting at something else making the murder accidental. Also there were miraculously zero deaths in all of the subway mental shutdowns.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

The 3rd rank Personas are all apparently going to be related to their original one.

Yusuke's is one of Goemon's early names and Ann's is the first actress who ever played Carmen.

Also Makoto and Haru form a wrestling tag team for their Showtime attack.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Y'know, have to wonder if that might be a spiritual regression.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

To use Kant, one can grow without really relying on oneself for growth. In accepting oneself and casting off the nonage imposed by others you become enlightened. Which is your third persona stage, obviously.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

They’re also so far combinations of the two.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Y'know, have to wonder if that might be a spiritual regression.

More like a re-evaluation or old ideas to help advance in a new direction. They are just making more advanced versions of the same root ideas. The fusion has thematic elements of both previous tiers, but looks much more personalized for them than the fully mythological figures they used to be.

I just want to see how Makoto’s new fused persona will work since Anat was just Johanna in robot mode.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Geostomp posted:

I just want to see how Makoto’s new fused persona will work since Anat was just Johanna in robot mode.
Anat... riding Johanna.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Geostomp posted:

More like a re-evaluation or old ideas to help advance in a new direction. They are just making more advanced versions of the same root ideas. The fusion has thematic elements of both previous tiers, but looks much more personalized for them than the fully mythological figures they used to be.

It'll basically be a triple changer like Blitzblast, and can go between motorcycle, robot and a new jet fighter mode. Randomly training a football team not included, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Now she's a helicopter!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Makoto's Tier 3 Persona is Sixshot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

To use Kant, one can grow without really relying on oneself for growth. In accepting oneself and casting off the nonage imposed by others you become enlightened. Which is your third persona stage, obviously.

it's probably more of a hegelian synthesis thing given one of akechi's earlier spiels

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Akechi's combo moves will just be pancake memes, won't they?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The only “redemption” for Akechi I would accept is him taking the rap for Joker to let him have the additional three months and agreeing to never appear again.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Geostomp posted:

The only “redemption” for Akechi I would accept is him taking the rap for Joker to let him have the additional three months and agreeing to never appear again.

Not emptyquoting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Geostomp posted:

This, but in addition to the life sentence he's no doubt built up. :argh:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, I wouldn't mind a chance to play around with Akechi-Loki with new skills and a new appearance, but probably in some sort of non-canon capacity, or at the very least with the PTs making it very clear that this is purely for dealing with (new Royal-only villain scenario).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

I mean, I wouldn't mind a chance to play around with Akechi-Loki with new skills and a new appearance, but probably in some sort of non-canon capacity, or at the very least with the PTs making it very clear that this is purely for dealing with (new Royal-only villain scenario).

If they, unfortunately, do team up again, the group should absolutely have mutual hostility between them the whole time. The first Royal trailer flat or has Akechi himself rejecting the obsessive pity the fangirls have for him as an insult, so I have some hope.