Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

resurgam40 posted:

Indeed, and this is an SMT game we speak of, after all; it just wouldn't be right if you portrayed it as an effortless experience with no loss or scary bits. Other bosses, use your discretion, but here? It'd be more informative to see both.

vv Only if you do things exactly right, and even then, all it takes is a knockdown on one character before a good run spirals into failure. Being feast or famine to the degree this game is doesn't make it particularly easy.

If you're playing on Hard then that's probably true, but on Normal you're only walking a tightrope for the first Palace. With the exception of a few encounters, most enemies afterwards don't have enough mojo to turn a single knockdown into a defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

There's always the unlucky Hama or Mudo spell taking Joker out to worry about.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

GhostStalker posted:

There's always the unlucky Hama or Mudo spell taking Joker out to worry about.
For some reason I feel like P5 is really really biased against targeting Joker with instant death. There are plenty of rear end in a top hat regular enemies with Hama and Mudo, but I don't recall Joker getting targeted once by one in my entire run through the game. I'd say I was just lucky, but that feels like way too long to be a coincidence.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

For some reason I feel like P5 is really really biased against targeting Joker with instant death. There are plenty of rear end in a top hat regular enemies with Hama and Mudo, but I don't recall Joker getting targeted once by one in my entire run through the game. I'd say I was just lucky, but that feels like way too long to be a coincidence.

Actually, I can't recall Joker ever being targeted by instant death either. Also, I'm pretty sure I went through the entire game without having Mahama or Mamudo used against me even once.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It happens, trust me.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I can think of one enemy in particular that just constantly hounded my Joker with instant death spells.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah I have it happen to me too on occasion if I can't end a fight within my first rounds. I never got an unceremonious game over from it this time around, but I'm sure I'd have been super salty if I did.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Unlucky insta-kill have given me much grief in one of the later palaces.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Phew, caught up on thread. This seems very interesting, so I'll be sure to stay updated on it, but I doubt I'll comment much.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, like 9/10 game overs I got after the first palace were due to Joker getting KO'd. Hopefully they change that for the inevitable enhanced edition down the line.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It always seemed like a weird mechanic in a game with instakill spells. I mean I don't get a game over when Ryuji goes down. Is the rest of the team just completely incapable of using a revival item unless Joker is telling them to do it?

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
It's a hold-over from Persona 3 where you dying unleashed the avatar of death upon the world . I have no idea why they've kept it in P4/5 when those games are much easier than 3 in most other ways.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

It's a hold-over from Persona 3 where you dying unleashed the avatar of death upon the world . I have no idea why they've kept it in P4/5 when those games are much easier than 3 in most other ways.

P4 had the whole "last boss testing humanity via these three chosen people" thing so if the MC died they 'failed' and fog for everyone.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Shinji117 posted:

P4 had the whole "last boss testing humanity via these three chosen people" thing so if the MC died they 'failed' and fog for everyone.

I honestly glossed over all the (P4 spoiler) Izanami stuff but I guess (vague P5 spoiler) the same holds true for P5? You've failed "the game" after all.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Stop posting spoilers in this thread, please.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm in the minority I guess but I'm actually a-okay with Joker dying causing a game over. Persona MCs are so OP anyway with how they can shuffle their weaknesses around and use every element that this mechanic (+ the sheer amount of SP Maaku tends to use) at least resembles an attempt at balancing. It also helps that you can retry bosses and mini-bosses in this game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's a very bad mechanic because you don't always get a chance to shuffle your guys around to find someone to counter the enemy before they gank you.

Getting killed because you started with the wrong dude and the enemy got 2 turns and killed you – before you could do anything – enforces tedium when combined with the lack of autosaving before all battles and the inability of your party members to fight on while you're unconscious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Not to mention that it renders any Persona with a weakness to Light or Dark essentially unusable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GeneX posted:

It's a very bad mechanic because you don't always get a chance to shuffle your guys around to find someone to counter the enemy before they gank you.

Getting killed because you started with the wrong dude and the enemy got 2 turns and killed you – before you could do anything – enforces tedium when combined with the lack of autosaving before all battles and the inability of your party members to fight on while you're unconscious.

Reminds me of how Final Fantasy X gives you seven party members, but you get a Game Over when the first three in the party die. I guess the other four just sit on their thumbs.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Blue Labrador posted:

I'm in the minority I guess but I'm actually a-okay with Joker dying causing a game over. Persona MCs are so OP anyway with how they can shuffle their weaknesses around and use every element that this mechanic (+ the sheer amount of SP Maaku tends to use) at least resembles an attempt at balancing. It also helps that you can retry bosses and mini-bosses in this game.

Correction: you only get to straight retry from boss/miniboss fights on the easiest difficulty. Any other difficulty will at minimum punt you back to your last safe room.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Materant posted:

Correction: you only get to straight retry from boss/miniboss fights on the easiest difficulty. Any other difficulty will at minimum punt you back to your last safe room.
There's a weird exception for certain minibosses in places we haven't gotten to yet, but we're already super deep into spoiler territory, so instead I'm just gonna change subjects.

Watching people struggle with bosses is way more dramatic. Has more character, too. Even if the commentary says "I redid this fight later because I had to waste some super-important healing items", that's okay, just as long as I got to see the entertaining run.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Materant posted:

Incorrect, I play on Hard and you definitely get to retry bosses/minibosses.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Look guys, nobody 'dies' when they get knocked out, so getting a gameover with the MC 'dying' is stupid. It doesn't matter what your logic is, you aren't dead. You can still be healed. Even after battle, you're up and walking just fine with 1 HP.

I am incredibly salty against this mechanic, especially in a game with instant death skills.

And I've had enemies spam Joker with those skills.

...hats off to you for completing the palace in one day though.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
at least in this game I can imagine its 'cognitive death'
but considering a gameover leads you to the velvet room, I just assumed Igor has some strict rules for wild card users

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DeafNote posted:

at least in this game I can imagine its 'cognitive death'
but considering a gameover leads you to the velvet room, I just assumed Igor has some strict rules for wild card users
There's an interesting theory that it's because when a Wild Card user dies, their spirit is pulled into the Velvet Room to be an attendant. Not much to build it on, but interesting.

Edit Let's not talk about how P5 could corroborate or contradict this theory, please.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

For all we know, it could be there for strictly gameplay purposes, just to make the player angry. Because it's ATLUS.

In fact, that is probably what it is. They could easily remove it, but why should they, when it causes grief.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Atlus does unironically love their salt.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Materant posted:

Atlus does unironically love their salt.

In response to a video making fun of DSP ragequitting Persona 3.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's something beautiful about not only a game developer calling out DSP on being a lovely player, but also the idea of ATLUS trolling someone with their notorious difficulty. :allears:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's something beautiful about not only a game developer calling out DSP on being a lovely player, but also the idea of ATLUS trolling someone with their notorious difficulty. :allears:

Considering one of their (more well known) taglines is "We get off on your tears"? It doesn't surprise me they aren't afraid to poke fun at people with their official channels.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 16: 4/22: Forked Tongue

It’s the day we’re stealing Kamoshida’s Treasure. Time to head to school and see what Ryuji’s prepared.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I haven’t been able to get any even once.
Oh, don’t you know? It’s always sold out on Mondays, but there’s usually some left over on Fridays.
Are you serious!? I’ll finally be able to get some yakisoba pan today!
Huh, I guess there’s a lot in this world you can only get for a limited time or during certain seasons...

Do you want to try to get some? I’ll come with you.

Nah. We’ve got other things to do today, Morgana.

I heard it was already posted by the time everyone got here this morning.

“We know how lovely you are, and that you put your twisted desires on students that can’t fight back. That’s why we have decided to steal away those desires and make you confess your sins. This will be done tomorrow, so we hope you will be ready. From, the Phantom Thieves of Hearts.”

Music: Disquiet

I looked up a bunch of similar stuff online for reference.
Um… Yeah… I know what you wanted to say, but it sounded like an idiot trying to be an adult.

OK, y’know what? Th-That ain’t true!

Does this mean the rumors are true!?
Wait a sec… Is someone gonna take something from Mr. Kamoshida…?
What’s with this weird logo? And who’re these Phantom Thieves of Hearts people…?
...It got everyone excited, so it’s all good, yeah?

Who’s responsible for this…!?
...Look at that. A predictable reaction for someone who knows what we mean by distorted desires.
I think it’s hittin’ him pretty hard.
Did you do this!? Or was it you!?

The students scatter.

What garbage… Eh, it’s not a problem. You’ll be expelled soon enough anyway.

Music: Tension

The scene returns to normal, and Kamoshida walks away.

Does that mean the Treasure’s appeared!? We’ll be able to get it today, right?
It’s not just “today.” It’s ONLY today. The impact of seeing a calling card doesn’t last long, and it cannot be repeated. This will be our one chance to steal the Treasure.
One day’s more than enough for us!

Music: Life Will Change (Instrumental Version) (Worth a listen)

One great thing that happens on the day you steal the Treasure is that this song will play uninterrupted by anything except entering the Velvet Room. It's really great. But, uh, speaking of which...

Before we steal the Treasure, we have one last Persona to fuse.

It’s this Mokoi, from Saki Mitama and Kelpie.

I am the soul of your shadow… So that would be why I’m becoming your mask...

Mokoi are evil spirits in Australian folklore who used dark magic and kidnapped children in the night to eat them. One of them’s part of our soul now!

All right, let’s head into the castle.

Huh? The door’s open.

This place is probably undermanned now that they all got assigned elsewhere. Either way, we win as long as we can steal the Treasure! Let’s keep going!

Worth noting: The pillars flanking the entrance are a pair of giant legs. Ugh.

Man, it’s huge!
What do you think!? It’s just as I said! Now we can steal it! Ahh… this shine brings tears to my eyes...
...It kinda pisses me off. Why’s it so pretty…? Isn’t this Kamoshida’s desires?

Uh, the cat’s actin’ awfully excited.
What’s wrong? Is something…?

Mrrrrroooooow!

You were completely out of character too. What was that about?
I couldn’t stop it either… To think I’d be drawn to human desires this much… Doesn’t that prove that I’m human!?
How should we know!?
A-Anyway, you guys need to carry it!
All you do is bark orders...

His Palace will disappear if we take this back, right? And Kamoshida will change too...
...That should be the case.
Good. Now’s our chance then.

To think it’d go so well… I’ve even found three Persona users in the process… My judgment was correct. I made the right choice in making a deal with you!

I feel like my bond with Morgana is growing deeper...

We finally get Baton Pass for Morgana, far too late for it to actually help us with this Palace. Whatever, let’s just drag this giant crown outside.

Hm?

Kamoshida spikes...

Right on target.

Kamoshida does a magnificent leaping spiral.

Music: Blood of Villain

He should really shave those legs, though.

The crown shines a brilliant blinding light...

…and reappears, small, in Kamoshida’s hand.

That rat bastard… That’s how he sees me, isn’t it!?
Yo, pervert. Were you waitin’ to ambush us?
I just made it easier to find you. I’ll dispose of you myself. Right here, right now.

What a selfish misunderstanding...

This translation could probably have used another pass, yikes.

The people around me were the ones who kept it secret. Adults who want to share in my accomplishments, students who have the drive to become winners… They willingly protect me so that we all may profit from it.
Profit!?
There are too many imbeciles who don’t understand that! Including naive brats like you and that girl who tried to kill herself!

Wow, Ann. Harsh.

But no matter what kind of fool someone might be… They don’t need your permission to live their lives!
Drop the attitude, you mediocre peasant! There’s no wrong in using my gifts for my gain! I’m a cut above all other humans!
Above...? You mean beneath! You’re a goddamn demon obsessed with your sick desires!

Music: Blooming Villain (Worth a listen)

...Well, that’s certainly a change.

I’m allowed to do whatever the hell I want!

Boss: Suguru Asmodeus Kamoshida

So, this is the ultimate form of Shadow Kamoshida. He’s known as Asmodeus, a reference to a king of demons from the Book of Tobit. He represents the deadly sin of lust.

We should catch him off guard and steal it! Let’s attack him and wait for that opportunity!

We use three Personas in this fight, primarily: Bicorn for Tarunda, Genbu for Rakunda, and that Mokoi we just fused for its Skull Cracker, which as a Medium Physical attack is stronger than anything else in our arsenal.

It's worth noting that boss fights in this game have some unique properties. They don't have any weaknesses and can't be critted (so no knockdowns or Baton Passes), and are immune to all ailments. That removes a lot of the more interesting and fun battle strategies, sadly.

Tragically, however, I’m too much of a dumbass to realize Skull Cracker is Medium instead of Light, so I waste Ryuji’s Tarukaja on himself instead of Maaku.

Volleyball Assault is the main reason we want to keep Tarunda up. It doesn’t hit for much even unhindered, but it can strike up to three times. Oh, and Asmodeus gets to attack twice per turn. If you don’t reduce his attack, healing can become a full-time job.

A funny thing happens when we get Asmodeus down to about half.

He eats one of the figures in his trophy for a full heal.

Come at me, you pieces of poo poo! I ain’t lettin’ you sleep tonight!

So, we’ve just got to focus down the trophy instead. Gotcha.

You don’t know what this is worth, so stop touching it! Don’t do it anymore, got it? I’ve warned you!
When someone tells us not to do something, it makes us want to do it even more!

While we work on destroying that trophy, we have to deal with Asmodeus’ Tongue Whip, which hits everyone...

...as well as his Lustful Slurp, which raises his attack, meaning we need to Tarunda again. That figure in the glass he's taking a swig of? Cognitive Ann. Eugh.

He’ll also follow the lead of the Torn King of Desire and stare at Ann.

He then… licks her. All right.

One smashed trophy later…

No way… This was from when I won the national...
All right!

...I am Kamoshida! Don’t you get it!?

Huh…!? Like I keep saying! I am Kamoshida! I’m the king!
You look down on everyone… but you’re seriously lame right now.
We came all this way to steal that! Will you just give it up and hand it over?
Silence! I won’t let the likes of you have this!
You still have the energy to say things like that!? Then we’re going to up our game as well!

I’m the king…! If I’m not, then who is!?
We won’t get anywhere with brute force...

This is an explanation of a new mechanic to the series, wherein we can send party members to perform tasks for us in the heat of battle to help us out. It’s not super involved or even always that useful, sadly.

What do we do!?

I see… In that case, time for Plan B!

While the others are drawing Kamoshida’s attention, have someone go there! Let’s steal the Treasure without him noticing!

Kamoshida will now start using Golden Knife to deal a ton of damage, which is a good incentive to keep Tarunda up.

Sure, let’s send someone.

Ann’s got too much heat right now, so a poor choice for a stealth mission.

And let’s keep Morgana just for the sake of healing.

Alright, you’re up, Ryuji.

Gotcha. Keep him distracted by attackin’ him!

Now Ryuji will be unavailable for a good portion of the battle.

Slaves! Bring over you-know-what!

Time for my killshot from when I was active and rockin’ it! Killshot… as in I’ll make the kill!

So, at around this point I’m thinking, “They’ll probably give me two turns, right? For ultimate moves, the boss generally gives you two turns in Persona games, so you get a chance to heal and what-not. I’m probably fine this turn.”

“But let’s guard to be safe and have Morgana heal Joker, it’d really suck to die here because you still game over when the protagonist dies.”

“Oops.”

Morgana, sadly, was not guarding, and is KO’d instantly because the attack deals only slightly less than his maximum HP.

In the middle of all this, Asmodeus will mix things up by recycling old moves like Lustful Slurp, forcing us to Tarunda again. Eventually, we deal enough damage between heals to move onto the next step:

You’re the only ones who don’t respect me, you know!

Anyway. Now’s my chance!

Some more damage later:

They came on to me because they wanted to get on my good side!

But at least it’s lettin’ me get closer to the Treasure.

Ryuji’s finally in place. Just a bit more to go.

...Ah, I get it! You want to see my killshot again, don’t you?

Ah poo poo.

I ended up healing Maaku and Morgana here for… some reason. Morgana was hosed no matter what, but I guess I assumed that Ann could survive the attack.

I was wrong. Welp, that’s the story of how I managed to gently caress up both killshots.

Eventually, we manage to get him down to half.

I knew it! They’re missing! Where’d they go!?

All right, way to go Ryuji.

Kamoshida’s now “dejected.” What does that mean? Well…

We now do about four or five times as much damage. Now we just finish him off.

And that’s Asmodeus down.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 14, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I appreciate the attempts they made with this mechanic to make fights more interesting, even if it effectively just boils down to "wail on him with three" instead of "wail on him with four".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought for sure you were going to let Ann get the final hit.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Most bosses in this game have a super attack that can easily wipe the party if you don't guard. The problem is that some have longer grace periods than others, with one in particular being hellishly difficult to predict. It really sucks to get a game over because you spent an extra turn healing Joker to full health only to realise moments later that you should have had him guard instead.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

You didn't mention it, but the cup Kamoshida takes his Lustful Slurps from has the cognitive Ann in a bikini in it. You can imagine what he does with her based off of the attack name, before dumping her back in the cup. If you needed one more reason to hate the shitbag.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
The boss fight, while not TOO terribly difficult, is a nice tutorial of sorts into what to expect from your palace designated boss fights. Shame the new mechanic isn't utilized as well as it COULD have been, but it's nice to see. Also Life Will Change and Blooming Villain are drat good songs. Only beaten out, imo, by two other tracks in the game...too bad those tracks don't play until near end-game, so we won't be hearing them in the LP for quite some time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I couldn't wait for the next update to see how this concluded. :smith:

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
While the pillars at the front entrance are legs, there are two protrusions in the ceiling that are probably meant to be breasts. So the whole throne room is literally a woman bending over Kamoshida.

That plus the Lustful Slurp show that someone in Atlus was really dedicated to show Kamoshida's sleaziness.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I highly, highly recommend listening to Life Will Change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Life Will Change is unironically my favorite song in the entire game, and it sounds even better without the lyrics it gets later on.