Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah you get some funky (and I do mean that literally) screenshots when you've only got a second before the cursor comes up.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

Yeah you get some funky (and I do mean that literally) screenshots when you've only got a second before the cursor comes up.

Better than seeing characters in T-poses as the screens come up (Or you hit an enemy with Pull in Mass Effect 2)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, the problem here is that the characters all start battle by doing sick backflips, which now that I think about it isn't much of a problem.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arist posted:

Well, the problem here is that the characters all start battle by doing sick backflips, which now that I think about it isn't much of a problem.

So a lot of the design doc for this game is just 'Do a thing but do it more stylishly', isn't it?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Compared to 3 and 4, very much. YMMV on whether figuratively blowing your brains out outdoes posing.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

Compared to 3 and 4, very much. YMMV on whether figuratively blowing your brains out outdoes posing.

Nah. Blowing one's brains out is dark. Backflipping and posing is hella cool. The latter two win.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GuyUpNorth posted:

Why not do both?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYjE9SCU6o8

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 36: 5/23: Goddammit Game, You Made Euclid Cry

Music: A Woman

The dev team is devious enough to hide a stationary Shadow in one of the bathrooms, ready to pounce if you run in. This isn’t important, I just thought it was really dumb.

And behind this door is…

Music: A Woman (Another Version)

An MC Escher hellscape! I don’t see what the big deal with this style is, you guys. I can draw things bad, too.

poo poo… What the hell is up with this place!?
There’s so much gold…! It’s hurting my eyes...
The distortion is especially bad here… It’s barely holding up. Plus, it’s not even on our map…
So we must ascertain the truth through our eyes alone...

We run into more Shadows here. These Koppa Tengu are still weak to Ice.

We head into the mysterious blue gateway.

It seems even the paths beyond these apertures are distorted in the same way as this room...

Warping again, we come to an area with two paintings.

It’s probably some kind of illusion. We’re in a Palace, after all. Well, I guess the painting itself might be correct though.
You say “correct,” but aren’t they all counterfeit? Although maybe the real one’s here too...
I wonder… Either way, the fact that this is here might mean it’s connected to this space in some way.

Attempting to bypass the paintings…

...puts us right back at the start. Because everything has to be a gimmick.

It seems this is a trick after all… He would not let us proceed that easily...

So, we inspect the paintings.

Isn’t that a fake? I mean, this is Madarame’s Palace...
There is an obvious difference if you look closely. It shouldn’t be too difficult to tell them apart.
Yeah, maybe it’s obvious for you… What do you think, Joker?

So, here we have to correctly identify the true Sayuri… from memory. I really hope you were paying attention to what color she was wearing one of the two times we saw it prior, because otherwise you’re screwed!

Unfortunately, this is a fake. The real “Sayuri” has vibrant crimson garments.

What? Oh, uh… I knew that! Just showing off the penalty for failure for the LP! Yeah, let’s go with that!

O-Oh, right… Now that you mention it...

By the way, that penalty is...

...A Shadow shows up! Fun!

This Makami loves to cast Mafrei (multi-target Nuclear) and Double Fangs and is weak to Electricity. We make sure to pick one up for later.

>It’s the real thing.
That is correct. It seems you have quite the eye for detail, Joker.

He says, after I hosed it up once and chose the only other option.

For real… That’s amazin’...
The vibrant crimson clothes, her beautiful hair, the sublime balance between subject and background… This may only be an illusion, but it is without a doubt a spitting image of the true “Sayuri.”

If you know what it looks like so goddamn exactly why am I doing this instead of you!?

The painting turns into a light that shoots into the doorway. We enter it.

Seeing past the false image has opened a path to the truth… Hm, this golden place filled with counterfeit work is a prime example of the alchemy of Madarame’s brain. And here, just as in reality, he entraps those who cannot see through his lying facade...
You might be right… No wonder the distortion is so strong here.
Hey, so… what does that mean?
I think it means finding the real “Sayuri” should break through the distortion and open a path.
So do we just gotta check all of ‘em?
Why would we do that…? Let’s just look for the real one… assuming we can differentiate it.

From here, we can see all four paintings. Can you spot the correct one? I’ll give you a hint: It’s the third one. Thankfully, this is more spot-the-difference (the tree branch is missing) than rote memorization, because all the counterfeits here are the same.

Yes, this is the true “Sayuri.” It may be an illusion, but there can be no mistaking its allure. Nicely done, Joker.

And in the next hall, we see yet more obvious fakes. I say “obvious” because, well...

...the developers couldn’t be bothered to add new fakes, so all these are just repeats of the old forgeries. As such, they can be dismissed outright. However...

...with the last two, they get tricky. You’ll probably get it in a few seconds because I’ve helpfully screenshotted them both (and they’re both onscreen at the same time here), but in my first playthrough I was reduced to outright guessing, and even in this run it took me a number of minutes before I spotted the difference. I was looking at the kanji in the corner, at the fog patterns, at the budding flowers on the tree branch… It’s pretty embarrassing in retrospect.

If you somehow can’t figure it out: her hair is wrong in the first one. It’s supposed to go over her shoulder.

The light from the painting shoots off far below us.

Huh…? Where the poo poo did it fly off to!?

We have seen all of the false images. Something must have changed somewhere...

Walking into the nearby gateway will send us back to the start, but now a new gate is open.

Just be careful, OK? The distortion is growing much stronger the deeper we go...

From here, it’s just a straight shot back to the comparatively more “normal” museum.

Then is the Treasure behind him?
It’s kinda hard to tell from here. Let’s get a close look!

Music: Disquiet (This song plays for almost the entire rest of the Palace outside of battle)

Doesn’t it look a bit hazy?
For the time being. Once we send the card and make Madarame aware it’ll be stolen, it’ll materialize like “Yoohoo!”
I wonder what form it will take...
Who knows? Bet it’s something like a self-portrait.
The source of what distorted Madarame’s reality this much...

Hmm… We know where the Treasure is, but I’m not sure that we’ve necessarily secured the route...
Huh? Why’s that?
You must be talking about the infrared lasers surrounding it.
That, and the outer perimeter is swarming with guards. Forcing our way through will be difficult.
So we’ll need to find a way to steal it too… This is tougher than it was with Kamoshida…
We just have to make one final push. Let’s check this floor…!

We find the control room further in.

Nothing happens.

Huh? Nothing happened...

The heck? There was no point in even comin’ here then…!
Hm,. It seems disabling the infrared lasers is not within the realm of possibility for us...
Let’s try the other ones too.

I-I am not sure! It seems we have lost power… The backup generators should bring it up again in no time!

Hm… Could this also be…? Hey, someone!
Tch, it came back on pretty drat fast...
Yes, and the infrared lasers remained active even during the power outage.
So we’ll only be able to turn the power off in there for a few seconds...
Wait a second… Aren’t those guards that just ran out headed this way!? What else should we try? We might be in trouble if we don’t hurry...

All right!
Now there are more places we can explore...

Crap, we got company!

The encounter, while not quite a boss or a miniboss, consists of three Makami who like to spam Mafrei and Double Fangs and actually managed to kill me once (but there’s a safe room nearby, so whatever). It’s more annoying than difficult.

All we really managed to do was open the shutters…
On top of that, we can only turn the lights off briefly, while the lasers remain unaffected.
Oh well… Guess we just gotta go see what’s past those shutters.

Yet another unopened chest. Sigh.

A lot of the encounters on the way up this winding hall that circles the main room consist of Shiki-Ouji, better known as “that fucker who blocks Physical.” He still likes to pull the same old tricks, hitting you with Rage, boosting his Attack, and using Gun attacks, but now we have to deal with our dwindling SP resources on top of it all. Suffice it to say I ran from at least one of these encounters.

No, it is most likely where all the mechanisms in the exhibition hall are controlled from. Given the number of hanging works, it would make sense to have a room dedicated to controlling them.
The observational skills of an artist are out of this world...

Oh, look! There aren’t any lasers above it!
This is quite a large hole in their security… but what do we do? Jump down to retrieve it?

Not if you don’t want your legs to snap like twigs.

We wouldn’t be able to get out if we did that though. Look up.

The controls should probably be around here somewhere. Let’s find them!

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Hm, this could be useful...
Do you plan on descending on that hook? Would they not spot you the moment you were lowered down?
No… Not necessarily. There’s something I can do to make sure that doesn’t happen.

Exactly! That’s our Joker!
Oh right… We were able to turn the lights off over in that other control room!
Only for a few seconds though. There would not be enough time to make it all the way here.
That’s why we’re going to split up the tasks and work together to pull off this heist! One person will shut the power off here, one person will lower the crane, and I’ll grab the Treasure!
You sure that’s gonna work? Seems to me like they’d realize what’s going on at some point.

Smart thought, Ryuji, but basically, no one else has a better idea, so gently caress it!

Sometimes bold moves have the greatest payout. Unless someone has a better idea?

Well said, Joker! You understand what being a phantom thief really means!

I’m actually not totally sure on what being a phantom thief really means. That archetype isn’t that much of a thing over here.

All right, it’s settled. Our infiltration route is secured!
You gotta be kiddin’ me…

It amuses me that Ryuji is the only one with any objection to the genius plan of “let’s tie the cat to a rope and lower it like it’s loving Looney Tunes.”

Now then, it’s time for the calling card!

>Return to the real world
Well, I’m still kinda worried… but we gotta do this.
I cannot even begin to fathom what Madarame’s Treasure may be…
Either way, we’ll steal it for sure. Oh, and you all did great today!

We finally secured out route to the Treasure! All we need to do now is send the calling card.
You’re right… And once we send it, the heist is the only thing left… We have to succeed… I’ll let you decide when we do it, Joker. Let’s make sure we’re ready before then!

Music: Beneath the Mask

All right, it’s finally time! Now all we gotta do is decide when we’re gonna do it.
Shouldn’t we talk to Yusuke about that first?
Uhhh, why?
I mean, Madarame was his teacher.

Yeah, this problem’s bigger than just the three of us.
Anyway, how about we all meet up at the hideout?
Yup, sounds good.
OK. Lemme know when you want to meet and I’ll tell Yusuke.

This would have been handy in the Palace. Oh well.

With the recent economic slump, many companies are limiting their number of new hires. Popular companies are overwhelmed with applications, accepting applicants at very low rates.
In their suits, everyone all looks the same. It must be tough to look for a job.

I can just feel the cat getting smug that it doesn’t have to work.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 29, 2018

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It amuses me endlessly that Yusuke just stands there and watches Joker gently caress up, possibly several times, without offering to just point out the correct one himself.

It's also cool how the heist gets more complicated here. The Castle was just entering the vault, here we need to pull some Mission Impossible poo poo with Morgana to grab the treasure. A nice touch.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The game really wants you to care about this painting, jeez

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GeneX posted:

The game really wants you to care about this painting, jeez

Is there literally anything in this game you actually liked or do you intend to complain non-stop for the rest of the LP

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there literally anything in this game you actually liked or do you intend to complain non-stop for the rest of the LP

Yes

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Arist posted:

The dev team is devious enough to hide a stationary Shadow in one of the bathrooms, ready to pounce if you run in. This isn’t important, I just thought it was really dumb.

Has it been mentioned yet that most palaces from here on out have alternate shadows, like this lady here, who spawn enemies instead of chasing after you?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Montegoraon posted:

Has it been mentioned yet that most palaces from here on out have alternate shadows, like this lady here, who spawn enemies instead of chasing after you?

Wait, what

holy poo poo is that what's been happening

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Isn't the bathroom shadow punishment for you going into the women's toilet... even if you're inside a palace.

I mean, it's a female shadow inside. She's probably really unhappy a bunch of thieves broke into the restrooms.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Wait, what

holy poo poo is that what's been happening

You never noticed that?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

These enemies I always ambushed. I didn't even realize there was anything different except the model because they never got a chance. The later enemy types doing it sounds familiar though, to the point where I honestly probably figured it out and just like, forgot about it because it only came up once or twice.

I'll introduce the mechanic in the next Palace either way.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Even if they catch you, if you hit them fast enough (which is pretty easy to do) they won't spawn anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

It amuses me that Ryuji is the only one with any objection to the genius plan of “let’s tie the cat to a rope and lower it like it’s loving Looney Tunes.”

Hmm, I would've gone with an Inspector Gadget reference as a more 'Only 90's kids will get this!' comeback.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Inspector Gadget was before my time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's a magic cat though

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

These enemies I always ambushed. I didn't even realize there was anything different except the model because they never got a chance. The later enemy types doing it sounds familiar though, to the point where I honestly probably figured it out and just like, forgot about it because it only came up once or twice.

I'll introduce the mechanic in the next Palace either way.

That makes a lot more sense. For some reason I took it as though you have never noticed that enemies could do that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like the dungeon is beating you over the head that the real Sayuri is his treasure.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Arist posted:

But not before mine. :corsair:

If you want to grind at high security for some reason or another, the lady shadows are nice for jacking it up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Drakenel posted:

But not before mine. :corsair:

The movie, not the tv show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RareAcumen posted:

MODS!?!?!?!?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

MODS!?!?!?!?

Look man, I never watched the TV show but I remember Inspector Gadget deploying from the ceiling to cut wires so he could steal that bionic foot. I don't know if that happened in the animated show but I know it happened in the live action movie.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I liked the Inspector Gadget movie as a kid. It actually had a rather Japanese sense of humor.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Arist posted:

An MC Escher hellscape! I don’t see what the big deal with this style is, you guys. I can draw things bad, too.

A bad artist? posted:

:colbert:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

RareAcumen posted:

Both, sadly. :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eugh, get out of here with your biting social commentary Banksy.

Drakenel posted:

Both, sadly. :(

That's fine. I just don't want people getting the impression that I was also around during the Salem Witch trials like the rest of you fossils. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 37: 5/24-5/26: Coen-Level Criminal Idiocy

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Ishikawa Goemon was a thief without peer. So he was a hero of the common people, huh?

Halfway through that book for now.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

I guess I’ll come back later. It’d be a problem if they called the police on me or something.

Looks like this lady’s still trying to check up on the Phantom Thieves rumors.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Over in the Velvet Room, we can fuse a Shiisaa using Makami and Jack Frost.

You have mask… You and me… Don’t worry, be happy!

Somebody cut Meher Baba a check.

Anyway, Shiisaa is an Okinawan protective spirit.

Not only does it get Mabufu from Jack Frost and the Frei we needed from Makami, we also learn Rampage, which is Light Physical that hits 1-3 times. It’s very useful.

Ooh, that’s…!
I see you have brought us a Shiisaa with Frei.
*chuckle* Very well… Your assignment’s done.

Hmph. I guess at least you’ve got the will to work.

Don’t gimme that smug attitude! This is your duty, Inmate!
That said, you have completed the task surprisingly easily.
You might actually be worth our time after all. Justine, tell him his next task. It’s on that list, right?
Indeed… Now then, I will assign your next task. Be aware that the tasks on this list will increase in difficulty as we go. Are you prepared?

How admirable.
I feel like my bond with Caroline and Justine is growing deeper...

Once again, we would like to bestow a new privilege upon you… However, it is exceedingly powerful. We ask that you fulfill another task before receiving it.
*snicker* Life isn’t gonna just hand you success!
Now, I will assign you your next task...

Let’s back out and check on the new goodies Takemi has.

Music: Butterfly Kiss

Takemi’s got a new section open for accessories now.

The Regen Patches give Regenerate 1, 2, and 3, which restore 2, 4, and 6 percent of HP each turn, respectively. But those are terrible and unimportant compared to the SP Adhesives, the third one in particular. The SP Adhesives give Invigorate 1, 2, and 3, which restore 3, 5, and 7 SP each turn, respectively. Not “percent.” 3, 5, and 7. While that may seem like a bummer, it’s really not. 7 SP a turn is massive for most of the game and having four of them on your party members can carry you through even the longest Palaces. Remember how I said Takemi’s accessories were “mandatory”? I meant it. This is the way you manage to clear the later Palaces in a day. There’s really no point in even bothering with 1 or 2, as that’s wasted money better spent elsewhere. Unfortunately, we can’t afford to buy an SP Adhesive 3 yet as it’s one of the most expensive items in the game, so we’re forced to wait.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Over at the diner, we order a Nostalgic Steak. Maaku gains Kindness +1 and Knowledge +2.

We finally get Rank 2 Knowledge, holy poo poo.

Oh no, not a nifu!

That must be such a difficult loss to accept. I wish we could let him have some time to himself…
Well then… Let’s move on to the postmortem, where we analyze what happened in the game.

Let’s make some coffee.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

There is no mistaking it… This is Hawaiian Kona...

...The flavor profile is bland. You should practice more to bring out the roast’s full potential.

Those words are going on my suicide note.

It appears you’re lying low lately. What’s with the change?

Really… Is it just my imagination then?

Girl, you suck at this.

Anyhow… I wish the culprit would come forward soon… It’s absurd to pretend I can do the police’s job… I wish he considered my feelings before asking me this.

Maaku’s just standing there awkwardly listening to her complain to herself.

Get off my case.

Music: Butterfly Kiss

>I want to do a clinical trial.
I’ve been really busy lately with all my new patients buuut… What the heck? Oh, everything’s set up already. Oh, that old lady from earlier forgot something… I wonder if she’s still outside…

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

...It was right in front of me, so...
Oh my! You’re a shy one, aren’t you?
(blushing) I-I’m not shy.
My neighbor speaks highly of you. She says your medicines are better than those at the big hospitals. It’s very reassuring to have such a distinguished doctor right here in town. I’ll see you again soon.

...Thanks to you.

There’s a lot of talk going around town about me, started by that girl and her dad… Apparently, they’ve been telling everyone that I can make all these amazing medicines and remedies. So now the number of patients I’m seeing has increased dramatically. I don’t know what some of these people are thinking though. I’ve had a lot of crazy requests. Like, yesterday a patient requested a “sweet-smelling” compress. And the other day, I had a request for a “cold-buster.” Ha! A drug like that deserves a Nobel Prize. Other requests have included hair and skin tonics… I even had to do a consultation about a cat… Sheesh. It’s not like I’m some kind of genius doctor.

This is all interfering with my development. I’m only interested in completing my new drug. That’s my role as the Plague. I’m not suited for all this other stuff.

What…? Really…?

But a “town doctor,” huh…? That sort of lifestyle profession might’ve been possible for me at one time, but now… …… Oh yeah, about those clinical trials… With so many new patients, it’s taking longer to analyze the data, so I’ll need to catch up. This is a bit on the stronger side, but I’m sure you’ll be OK.
It feels like my bond with Takemi is growing even deeper...

It looks like that girl is going to make a full recovery. The treatment seems to be a good match for her. So at least I can breathe a little easier, for now. ...Hopefully she’ll be able to attend school soon.

Well then, let’s have some fun.

I feel like cooperating in that shady clinical trial has increased my Guts...

Maaku gains Guts +1.

OK, thanks for your hard work.

Ryuji finally contacted us on the Yamauchi situation.

You’ll go with me to help investigate undercover, right!?
So, what’s it going to be? Will you listen to Ryuji’s request?

For this rank of Ryuji’s Confidant, we have to participate in a special night event. These aren’t terribly frequent (by which I mean this may very well be the only one) and can only be done on specific dates. First things first though, our daily ritual must be upheld.

Scams are much more intricate now, and many young people have fallen victim to them. Police are working to protect people from scams, but struggle to come up with countermeasures.
It sounds like more people have been getting scammed. I feel bad for people who fall for those.

All right, now we can go.

And we got a new spot, where we can take people who enjoy… monjayaki. Sure, I know what that is.

ChaosArgate posted:

Monjayaki is a dish pretty similar to Okonomiyaki. For those who don't know what that is either, Okonomiyaki is sort of a grilled pancake made mostly of cabbage, batter, and whatever else the customer wants. This can include meat, like beef or pork, vegetables, like corn, or even potato chips. The batter in Okonomiyaki is pretty much just a binder to hold everything together while it cooks. Monja is similar; it's also cooked on a grill and made of mostly cabbage and batter, but there's more batter in Monja and it's a lot runnier. It's like a liquid Okonomiyaki and it has a consistency that's kinda like melted cheese. People also tend to eat it right off the grill with tiny spatulas, whereas people can just cut up and eat Okonomiyaki off their own plates with a fork or chopsticks or whatever.

Oh, okay.

Monjayaki vs Okonomiyaki.

Sorry, but I’m gonna be hiding in the bathroom.

Ryuji is nothing if not dignified.

Please, Maaku! Just leave your phone on so I can hear what they’re saying.

Music: Suspicion

Mmm, I’ve had some experience. Back in my college days, we’d rent a yacht for the weekend and have massive parties. I must say though… the sake’s been tasting particularly sweet today.
No surprise there. Things have been much calmer without Kamoshida. Those were some real dark times for Shujin though, huh? But now that he’s gone, you finally get the chance you deserve, Yamauchi!
Don’t flatter me, haha. He had his strengths, sure… but because of him, our volleyball team will be forever scarred. The only real option now is to abandon it completely. There has to be a way to bring Shujin back into the limelight though. That’s where I come in...
You mean with the track team, right?

The students who went through so much hardship under Kamoshida rise again with a caring new advisor… It’ll be the rebirth of a team that found themselves in the depths of despair… The public will love it. Despite my lack of track and field knowledge, I’ll form a tight bond with the students… I’ll be the protagonist of my very own tear-jerker… And of course all the praise for reviving them will go to me, their incredible, loving advisor. I’ll have to hire a great coach if I want to pull this off though.
So you’re gonna pretend to coach them while someone else does all the legwork? Amazing, Yamauchi!
Such stunning achievements will look great when it’s time to hand out bonuses… But I’m not gonna stop there either… I’ll publish books, give motivational speeches...

I’m noticing quite a few holes in this plan, such as “what if literally anyone catches on to the fact that you’re not actually coaching them.”

What about all the troublemakers on the team? I’ve heard that Nakaoka kid is especially bad.
Nakaoka…? Oh, you mean the one who asked them to bring the pre-Kamoshida coach back? Don’t worry, I’ve already taken care of him…

There’s this other boy on the team… Takeishi. Doesn’t really excel in much of anything. Well, I said I would make him the new captain if he could get rid of that troublemaker Nakaoka. I might’ve mentioned something about how Nakaoka was working with Kamoshida too… ...Subtly, of course.
And? What ended up happening?
Apparently, Takeishi chased him away… The plan worked perfectly! And the best part is, not only are Takeishi’s parents loaded, but his mother’s the president of the PTA.
I see… He’d make a great pawn!
Perhaps, but a nothing like him could never captain a successful championship-winning team. He may have to have an unfortunate “accident” at practice one day.

Look at this criminal loving mastermind here, blabbing off about his plan to injure a minor in front of a random teenager.

But until then, he can show the others the value of obedience.
Hehehe… You’re incredible!

So… they’re just gonna have to decide on their own. Y’know, track ain’t a team sport. At least, sprintin’ wasn’t.

You’ve got teammates, sure… but you’re really just lookin’ out for your own time. That’s why I never thought about askin’ people for help or tryin’ to solve our problems together. But… I can’t ignore the stuff they’re goin’ through now. I mean, even though we had our own goals n’ poo poo… We were still runnin’ together. They suffered with me, gritted their teeth with me… Honestly, I think it was only ‘cause of them I was able to run at all.

I know that ain’t the coolest thing to say, but it’s how I feel.

...For real? Thanks, man!
I feel like my bond with Ryuji is growing deeper...

Insta-kill is an odd ability. For starters, it only works on enemies substantially weaker than you, to the point where I’ve only very rarely seen it outside of Mementos floors I was way overpowered for. You don’t get experience or money from these skipped encounters, but if you have room in your Persona deck it’ll automatically give you a mask of one of the Shadows you would have encountered. If you don’t have room, you can’t even choose to throw an old mask away, you just get nothing. This means that if you’re fishing for a specific Persona, you have to keep throwing old ones away from the menu. All in all, it’s honestly kind of pointless beyond speeding up travel through old Mementos floors and trying to get Personas you’re so overpowered you’ll kill in one hit.

Anyways, I’m starvin’! Let’s eat some monja while we’re here. Right now all I’ve seen of this place is the goddamn toilet! Thanks for hangin’ with me, man.

I spent an awful amount of time trying to spin a Rick and Morty reference out of this before I gave up. This space is instead dedicated to how much I suck for attempting to make such a boring, tired joke in the first place.

That parliamentarian from when I was a kid… Toranosuke something.

He hangs out at train stations giving speeches these days, but no one pays him any mind. He used to be a rising star in politics, but wound up involved in scandal after scandal.
Huh… Yeah, I saw him in line for food. It was weird seeing a politician eating at the same place as we do.
Well, that’s probably his new gimmick, right? Pandering to middle-class people.

Man, poor Tora. People are even doubting his motives.

Music: So Boring

Don’t think you can get away with copying stuff from some website. I’ll know. Got it? Stealing someone’s ideas is plagiarism. It’s as much of a crime as stealing anything else. It’s so annoying dealing with copyright crap these days… Oh yeah, did you know this? So, you know how Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has the famous character Sherlock Holmes? One time, another author used Holmes in his own story without permission, and Doyle protested. Now then… Hamiru-kun. What was the name of the other famous novel that Sherlock Holmes appeared in?

Oh, do you like mystery novels? You’re right. It’s the ultimate showdown between the gentleman thief and the famous detective. But afterward, Maurice Leblanc—the author of the Lupin series—changed Sherlock’s name in his books. He changed it to “Herlock Sholmes.” He just moved the S to the start of his last name.

That’s the kind of hilarious dick move that I can totally get behind.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Both Lupin and Holmes would go on to appear in a number of other works… But those were homages, not plagiarism. Now, Arsene Lupin is synonymous with the idea of a “phantom thief.” He’s recognized all over the world.
Wow, it looks like some phantom thieves never go out of style!

Music: Tokyo Emergency

We don’t have many options today, as being on the calling card step means we can’t hang out with Ann or Ryuji. Also, we just hung out with Takemi, so she’s not free. Since we have no available Confidants, we might as well just send the calling card today. Next time, we’ll do just that.

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 17, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So I guess we're going to be contending with a famous detective at some point.

Maybe a Naoto boss fight? :dance:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Monjayaki is a dish pretty similar to Okonomiyaki. For those who don't know what that is either, Okonomiyaki is sort of a grilled pancake made mostly of cabbage, batter, and whatever else the customer wants. This can include meat, like beef or pork, vegetables, like corn, or even potato chips. The batter in Okonomiyaki is pretty much just a binder to hold everything together while it cooks. Monja is similar; it's also cooked on a grill and made of mostly cabbage and batter, but there's more batter in Monja and it's a lot runnier. It's like a liquid Okonomiyaki and it has a consistency that's kinda like melted cheese. People also tend to eat it right off the grill with tiny spatulas, whereas people can just cut up and eat Okonomiyaki off their own plates with a fork or chopsticks or whatever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Here's a picture I found.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh yeah I had reference pictures too. Coincidentally that was the picture I had of Monja. Here's one of Okonomiyaki, just to illustrate the difference.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I did end up looking it up and it's cool that the place where it seems to have originated/be most common is in fact Tsukishima, the place in the game.

ChaosArgate posted:

Mind if I quote this for the update?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Here's a picture I found.

This looks like vomit, but I'm sure it's actually really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Arist posted:

Mind if I quote this for the update?

Have at it! Just be sure to edit in the pictures while you're at it.

GeneX posted:

This looks like vomit, but I'm sure it's actually really good

It's good, but personally, I like Okonomiyaki more. It's slightly less of a pain in the rear end to make and I think it tastes better in general.