Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Fun fact: cheesecake is actually a custard pie.

Only a monster would pull back the veil like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
See this is how you know Ann is a quality person, she prioritized the dessert table at the buffet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 41: 5/30-5/31: Everybody's Horny And Life Is Terrible

Anon: lovely site, but cool idea

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Music: Everyday Days

So, you’ve finished reading The Gallant Rogue. That splendid spirit that pays no mind to the bad guys… He’s a true example of a gentleman thief. After reading this, I’m sure you have a better understanding of a chivalrous thief’s courage.

Maaku gains Guts +3.

And we get another rank up.

Music: So Boring

I can’t go sea fishing because I get seasick easily. So much for my dream of being a sailor. Oh right. When people think of sailing the high seas, they tend to think of pirates. Even though they’re ruffians who plunder other ships and coastal settlements through force… For some reason, they ended up getting romanticized. Now then, Hamiru-kun. Who was the pirate who said that he hid his treasure in a certain place just before he was executed?

Pshh, this was part of my Persona trivia like 30 updates ago.

That’s right. The answer is William Kidd, also known as Captain Kidd. Kidd was a merchant who had raised money from aristocrats. He should have been subduing pirates… ...But in order to turn his commission into a profit, he ended up becoming a pirate himself.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

The money he used for his exploits was essentially the aristocracy’s. He himself wasn’t considered rich. Still, several novels were written based on his legend, and people still look for his treasure today. By the way, I’ve heard that there’s an island in Kyushu where Kidd’s treasure is said to sleep…
Kidd’s secret treasure, huh… Regardless of its actual worth, there’s still value in letting that many people dream about it.

Yeah, dream it. Don’t give it up.

I need your help with something… I found this flyer stuffed in my mailbox.

Music: My Homie

“Housekeeping Service”! It says that a cute maid will do anything for you! A maid, dude! A MAID! Who’ll do ANYTHING for us! Right? ...Right!?

Oh god, it’s time for Horny Ryuji. Well, at least it’s no Horny Yosuke, the worst character in Persona 4.

...You’re a guy, right? You know what I mean! Let’s give it a try. Yeah? Yeah!

Luckily, some guy on my floor just moved out so there’s a vacant apartment in my complex. The key is behind the mailbox, so we can get in anytime. The landlord seriously doesn’t care. The place is all set, so...

Um, can I, uh… ...Get in on this?
Oh-ho! You mean you’re into this kinda stuff? Wow! Okaaay…
I-I’m not into it! It’s just for research!

“I’m just writing a trashy novel about sex workers, I promise!”

What does it mean that they’ll do “anything”? And do the maids look exactly as they’re advertised? We need to determine whether or not this company just pretends to offer housekeeping services!

Nice save, Mishima.

I-I… ...Just want to punish the bad guys! And in order to do that, I have to see it with my own eyes!
Yeah, we gotta see it with our own eyes. Every little detail… *snicker* We’ll have to do this at night, so let us know when you’re ready.
So what’s the code name for this operation…? Hmmm…

Nice! I like that!

With that nonsense out of the way, it’s time for other things.

First, let’s trade in The Gallant Rogue for The Great Thief at the library.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

We also go to the diner. Maaku gains Kindness +1 from the Nostalgic Steak and Knowledge +3 from studying due to the rain.

Music: Beneath the Mask

You know, about that flyer! We need to look into the truth behind that housekeeping service. I’m over at Central Street right now, so come talk to me if you’re interested.
Looks like Mishima’s waiting for us in Shibuya. Do you think we should go see him?
>Decide later

We have other plans. But first…

...Another box came for you.

These Wild Clogs give Resist Fear. We probably won’t ever equip them.

He’s received even more praise for his dynamic art style. Requests for commissions are flooding in.
It seems that even people outside of Japan love him too. I don’t really get art…

What happened to you being such a cultured phantom thief?

Since it’s Monday and we haven’t been in a while, we go to the baths. Maaku gains Charm +3.

Anon: My friend said they’re real!

By the way, the exhibit’s ‘til the end of this week, huh… We did what we could, and now we wait for the results.

Nope. That’s one option that’s a definite “no.” School’s enough for studyin’. Let’s exercise, man!

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Let’s hang out with Ann today.

Strengthening my heart is turning out to be harder than I thought… Do you think we can maybe talk some more about it?
>Hang out with her
Then let’s head back to Inokashira Park. We can talk there.

Music: Break it Down

This place seriously feels amazing. It’s not even that far from Shibuya, but it feels so different here. You know, Tokyo is so strange. There are tons of people and tons of stores, yet there are still duck-filled parks here too. It has everything… but it feels like I can’t understand any of it. It’s honestly kinda scary.

When I first got here, I had a super tough time adjusting. It’s so crowded, and everyone walks really fast… almost like they’re angry or something. Even at school, I was only ever the “foreigner.” Nobody really knew me; they just spread rumors. I thought maybe my looks were the problem. I even considered dyeing my hair black to match everyone else… But that was when Shiho talked to me. The first thing she said was, “Takamaki-san, your paintings suck.”

According to her, they were so bad that she just HAD to tell me. Pretty mean, huh? Still, that was the first time someone here talked to me without mentioning my looks. We sorta just grew closer after that… and Shiho’s been my best friend ever since.

There’s something else I need to talk to you about!

Do you remember what I told you the last time we came here? About that female thief in the anime I used to watch? Well, I thought of something!

You know how the villains in those shows are always going on about world domination? Well, even though they get beaten by the heroes every time, they never give up. That means they must have really solid hearts… And that’s why I’m going to try and learn from them!

So I’ve decided...

Reminder: Ann is the world’s worst actress.

Goddammit, I have to stop being sarcastic, nobody ever gets it.

All right, I’m making this my ultimate goal for the future. You know, I’ve never really thought much about what I wanted to do in life… but now I have an objective! And that only happened because of talking to you, Maaku! Thanks!
I sense a heightened motivation from Ann...

Well, if I want to be in action movies, I’ll need to work on my actions! I wonder how many sit-ups I’ll have to do… Wait, Ryuji said he knows a good gym! I should ask him for advice!

She’ll definitely be happy to hear that! Come on, let’s jog to the station!

But you asked about pawn to 9-5? I don’t think I’d ever make that move. It’s something a maverick--
Oh, he just moved his pawn to 9-5…

FUCKIN OWNED

Anyway, time for Operation Maidwatch.

You’d seriously look like a criminal if you had one of those allergy masks to go along with your cool glasses!

Gee, thanks Mishima.

One of the better dialogue options in this game.

Sweet, I’ve been waiting for this! ...Wait, you already changed out of your uniform!? I guess that’s a pretty good idea… We’re meeting over at Sakamoto’s place, right? Let’s stop by mine beforehand so I can change too.

Y-Yeah! Operation Maidwatch!
If it turns out to be sketchy, we can just bail. The apartment’s vacant, so it’s not like we’ll be messing with anyone’s home.

To think… Sakamoto has a brain. But if that’s the case, then…
Then...
Yep!

I’m just as lost as you, Maaku.

OK, give ‘em a call!

Well, I guess he could do it too. OK, go for it, Mishima.

I-I’m not good with that kinda stuff! Seriously! Please, Hamiru!

They answered!
Shhh!
I take it you’re interested in our services, then?
S-Services…!
Is there anyone in particular you’d like to request?
A-Anyone we want to request!? What should we do, Maaku?

Very well! Let’s see here… We have a maid available in… 20 minutes. May I ask for your address?

A maid’s “services”… Hey… What should we have her do? I was thinking we start with some cooking…

Thinking awfully small, Mishima.

Of course, I wouldn’t mind some of the other services either… ...Should we hold a strategy meeting to discuss?
They said 20 minutes, right…? I gotta use the bathroom…

One bathroom visit later...

You were in there for a while… Are you OK? Hey, did you wash your hands?

Get off his case, mom.

…… Huh? What? Who? Me?
Y-You’re really nervous. Ahaha… haha… uh...

Are high school students even allowed to use this type of service?
Huh?

What if they find out who we are!?
H-How should I know!? But why would how old you are matter when it comes to housekeeping?

Oh Ryuji, you pure, sweet, innocent flower.

We would’ve been screwed if your number had shown up on their caller ID...

What!? Already!? She’s five minutes early! What do we do!? I’m not mentally prepared!

Music: Sweet

Oh, the door’s unlocked…? Um, may I come in…?
I-I can’t do this…! My stomach’s actin’ up! And my hands are all sweaty!

This was your idea and you’re bailing!? Goddammit, you putz.

I’ve got your back! Just… From way back! Like, from the balcony!
Wh-What? I can’t do this either! Hamiru, we’ll leave it to you!

Now, I can’t even really be mad at Mishima, because I’m honestly impressed he hasn’t thrown up or wet himself. Fine, whatever, I’ll get all the action myself!

Excuse me… Oh, there you are!

I’m going to fill your tired heart full of lovely energy. Meow! ♥ I’m Becky, and I have the pleasure of serving you today. ♥

We’re going to get along so well! Meeeooowww! ♥♥ Oh my… how thoughtless of me! I should explain our services to you, Master! What would you like me to do today? The basics include cooking, cleaning, laundry… But there are other “services” we provide if you desire. ♥

Are you… perhaps… ...In high school?

This game is really good sometimes.

…… You’re not lying to me, are you…? …… …… …… Hmmm, I’ll wait to provide those other “services” until you’ve matured a bit, Master. ♥ Sooo… I’ll be going now. ♥

All that for nothing. poo poo.

Quiet…!

Music: Suspicion

Oh no…!
poo poo! Run, Mishima!
Mishima? Sakamoto-kun?

Uhhh...

This is our first meeting. Yes, the first time ever, Master. ♥

Ugh, this is unbelievable… Yes, it’s me… your homeroom teacher.

This night is a profound tragedy on every level. It is a cancer upon my soul.

I’m so done… I can’t believe I got caught by some of my own students...

I should’ve taken a job outside of the city. But I needed it to be close to school so I could go there after I finished work… ...Who did you hear about this from?

Ms. Chouno, the English teacher… She’s been snooping on all the teachers ever since that incident with Mr. Kamoshida. ...Are you going to tell Ms. Chouno about this?

Let’s not loving blackmail this woman.

Hmmm… It doesn’t seem like you’re playing dumb… In any case, I’ll get in big trouble if you tell on me. …… Hey, if you’re going to side with a teacher, side with me. I’m in charge of your class, after all. And if you promise not to tell Ms. Chouno about this, I’ll do anything for you!

This is tragically the less skeevy option.

Kawakami’s got some great facial expressions.

Hey… It won’t be any better for you if people find out that you called a maid service. This isn’t even your home address to begin with, is it? I guess you at least thought about that. Well, I’ll promise to keep this a secret too… so why don’t we both forget this ever happened? I’ll treat this as if you had canceled, so you won’t have to pay anything. OK?

Don’t say anything about this at school, OK!? Just act as if nothing ever happened! Got it? OK, bye!
I suddenly feel exhausted… I want to go home...

Yeah, loving same. What a weird goddamn game this is.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 29, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What is with Japan and maids, jesus christ.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I feel like Horny Teddie was worse, but really their combined worseness was far greater than the sum of the parts

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I would have expected this from Kashiwagi, not her.

This is going to lead to a Confidant, isn't it? I can't imagine what Sae will have to say about it unless the dynamic shifts from "My teacher is a courtesan" in some capacity.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

Ah, come on, it's not that bad! You're not in jail!

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Arist posted:

H-How should I know!? But why would how old you are matter when it comes to housekeeping?

Oh Ryuji, you pure, sweet, innocent flower.

My preferred interpretation here is that Ryuji is stoked to pay someone to do his chores for him.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Arist posted:

Aw c'mon, maidwatch is hilarious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's definitely funny, but if that actually happened to you, oh man.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It'd make a good icebreaker at social events, though. Accidentally hiring your teacher from a phone hotline because you wanted her to do housekeeping.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Given that Ryuji approached us about this while at school, one has to wonder where he came across that flyer to begin with.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is going to lead to a Confidant, isn't it?

One of the best Confidants.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

W.T. Fits posted:

Given that Ryuji approached us about this while at school, one has to wonder where he came across that flyer to begin with.

Didn't he say it was in his mailbox?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Didn't he say it was in his mailbox?

And you believed that? :colbert:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

W.T. Fits posted:

One of the best Confidants.

You are a man of culture I see. But really, this is probably one of the best confidants in the game.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
When I got to this part it almost killed me, but the funnier part was that my wife has been watching the entire time as I played and didn't recognize that it was in fact their homeroom teacher until she came out and said it. Which, honestly, the maid look actually kind of works better for her than her trademark shapeless sweater and no-effort hairdo.

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Awwww man, seconding above opinions about this being one of the best confidants in the game. Mostly in terms of sheer usefulness.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Looks like we're not out of the cringe woods yet.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Huh, hadn't come across the term "homeroom teacher" before.

This scene was loving awful.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Gort posted:

Huh, hadn't come across the term "homeroom teacher" before.
It's one of those artifacts of how Japanese schools are set up. You have one teacher who's your homeroom teacher and considered to be more in charge of you, and other teachers rotate into your classroom to teach their classes(as opposed to American schools where the students go to a bunch of different classrooms).

And yes this scene is awful, but every 'your impulsive idiot friend goes after chicks' scene is in these games.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Haifisch posted:

It's one of those artifacts of how Japanese schools are set up. You have one teacher who's your homeroom teacher and considered to be more in charge of you, and other teachers rotate into your classroom to teach their classes(as opposed to American schools where the students go to a bunch of different classrooms).

And yes this scene is awful, but every 'your impulsive idiot friend goes after chicks' scene is in these games.

that's interesting

we had homeroom teachers when i was in high school in new jersery, but it was like, a pre-class to hold students while all the buses came in. i guess if there were any announcements they'd be made then, if there was some school function, they'd just expand the homeroom period.

on this scene in particular.... i think i might have just the game down for a couple weeks after this. yikes

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
I had something similar in high school in Scotland though different there was a teacher in charge of my group(seven in total though most years combined two) that would have a small opening class in the beginning or assembly if that was on then we went to other teacher class depending on subject( which did combine student from different groups)

It is interesting to see the differences yet so similar

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
We used to have homeroom teachers in grade 1-9 here in Sweden but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm from the USA, and I had a homeroom teacher during middle school.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Homeroom teachers through 1-6, then they became figureheads outside their own subjects and we rotated rooms.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Meanwhile I'm distracted by the fact that the chess moves on the TV are completely nonsensical. That's not chess notation, and even if it were the board is 8x8, so 9-5 would be off the board entirely.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Maybe that's why it's such a maverick move. :colbert:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

idhrendur posted:

Meanwhile I'm distracted by the fact that the chess moves on the TV are completely nonsensical. That's not chess notation, and even if it were the board is 8x8, so 9-5 would be off the board entirely.
They're playing shogi, the telop calls the speaker a "pro shogi player". Shogi is 9x9.

Really easy to miss though. When are you ever looking at the telops anyway?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

idhrendur posted:

Except they're not playing chess, they're playing shogi, which is played on a 9x9 board.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

idhrendur posted:

Were they not playing shogi?

Not that I know anything about shogi. Or chess.

We had class teachers. They were mostly in charge of attendance and stuff. And other things included chaperoning us on field trips, organising our part in any school events.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

They're talking about shogi, which is usually described as Japanese chess. Thing is, that's not the Japanese word for chess, it refers to a game with its own board and pieces.

Like so. Naturally most of those pieces also have different movements than their rough equivalent in chess terms. Here, let these (appropriately enough) anime cats explain it to you via song & dance.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 15, 2017

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Haifisch posted:

AriadneThread posted:

that's interesting

we had homeroom teachers when i was in high school in new jersery, but it was like, a pre-class to hold students while all the buses came in. i guess if there were any announcements they'd be made then, if there was some school function, they'd just expand the homeroom period.

on this scene in particular.... i think i might have just the game down for a couple weeks after this. yikes

I had homeroom in my high school in NYC; our "class" stayed the same throughout the years as did our homeroom teacher kinda like what I think the Japanese style is meant to be, and we just got new individual schedules of classes every semester. I was in class 1Q during freshman year, which was changed into 3Q sophomore year, then became 5Q Junior year, etc. Again, kinda like how the Japanese Hign School system does it.

Originally I think the homeroom class was meant to be an easier way to do orientation to our high school (a specialized public math/science high school you need to test into, often considered one of the best in the city and the country), since we had upperclassmen attached during our orientation period prior to and during freshman year to get us used to the building, kinda like how a lot of colleges and universities do with RAs in most dorms in the US. My homeroom teacher was a gym teacher, had her for a class my Junior year after picking the class she taught without knowing beforehand.

They'd actually hold homeroom maybe once a week, between third and fourth periods, where we'd have to report to our designated homeroom classroom, take official attendance for the day there, hand out important paperwork, and give announcements about stuff coming up, sometimes in video form in the TVs in every classroom, and in the year immediately after 9/11, do the Pledge of Allegiance, which most people did in the beginning, but kinda petered out to nothing by the end of the year where only the most dedicated would stand and make the pledge. When they didn't hold homeroom, our 3rd period class was when they took official attendance and made announcements, but I think they mostly avoided the latter because they didn't want to cut down on possible teaching time. For some reason, that always seemed to be a Mandarin class for me.

Also, there was the time we were called to indefinite homeroom on the 5th (2nd non-abbreviated) day of my freshman year, which happened to be 9/11. See, my school was 3 blocks up the West Side Highway from the WTC, I even used to get off the subway there to go to school and was wandering around the area lost a bit that day because I had gotten out of an exit I was unfamiliar with at the urging of an old middle school classmate. Homeroom was where we were panicking after the television channels stopped broadcasting (the local stations' transmitters were on top of the WTC), but we had already gotten our fill of the news coverage during 3rd period when no other teaching could go on and we were all glued to the TVs, and couldn't call out to family to let them know we were ok on the old Nokia brick cellphones that were otherwise only good for playing Snake that some classmates had because the lines were jammed. We were also evacuated from the building by homeroom once the decision was made to do so by the principal after the first tower went down, and were meant to be shepherded by said attached upperclassmen to other parts of Manhattan and eventually the outer boroughs over the bridges or once the subways started running again. Worked out pretty ok, from what I could tell afterwards, though I mostly linked up with a cousin and stayed at a dry cleaner friend of his dad's in Greenwich Village until the subways were running again instead.

The Japanese style homeroom was kinda what we had in my middle school: homeroom period every day for announcements and handouts, but they had different teachers every year, a different classroom, and were often reshuffled every year, as we'd go to the same classes as a block except for art and music electives, the foreign language you chose, and advanced classes in other subjects, where you were bunched in with people from other homeroom classes but also taking the same level material, which by 8th grade for me, was practically every class. They tried to keep us together for as much of the day as possible, for socialization reasons as much as anything, but not every person in the class would be in the same advanced classes, so for toes, they tended to shuffle us around.

As for the Operation Maidwatch scene, I was clearly not as skeeved out over it as some here, it's nowhere near egregious as the "Miss" Yasogami cross dressing beauty contest during the Cultural Festival in Persona 4. Now that was a thing that made we walk away from that game for a couple days or so. I dunno, I found it kinda funny in a sad way, and it does lead to one of the best Confidants in the game too, so there's that. And the whole "lol Japan" aspect of it with regards to maids and otaku bait and such.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 15, 2017

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
It's a pretty amusing running gag in the game that the pro commentator will say how he would never do such-and-such a move (usually in response to something the other, non-pro commentator suggested) and then the player will make that move.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

They're playing shogi, the telop calls the speaker a "pro shogi player". Shogi is 9x9.

Really easy to miss though. When are you ever looking at the telops anyway?

W.T. Fits posted:

Except they're not playing chess, they're playing shogi, which is played on a 9x9 board.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Were they not playing shogi?

Not that I know anything about shogi. Or chess.

We had class teachers. They were mostly in charge of attendance and stuff. And other things included chaperoning us on field trips, organising our part in any school events.

Rangpur posted:

They're talking about shogi, which is usually described as Japanese chess. Thing is, that's not the Japanese word for chess, it refers to a game with its own board and pieces.

Like so. Naturally most of those pieces also have different movements than their rough equivalent in chess terms. Here, let these (appropriately enough) anime cats explain it to you via song & dance.

That would certainly make a lot more sense.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Shogi is one of those things that comes up in Japanese games now and then and it almost always throws a curveball at Western audiences if the translation went with "Japanese chess" or something equivalent. Yakuza 5 also randomly springs a shogi minigame on you and if you've never played it before you get to scramble for the rules online.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Night10194 posted:

What is with Japan and maids, jesus christ.

Just for variety's sake, I'd like to see this level of panic over trying to get beer despite being underage.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Just for variety's sake, I'd like to see this level of panic over trying to get beer despite being underage.

Japan doesn't give a poo poo about underage drinking. I can never recall anyone actually asking to see ID when I lived there, and you can just buy all kinds of booze down at the local corner store.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yet they don't have a bunch of teenage drinking? Japan is wierd (well, has a completely different social context around drinking than the western world one)

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 15, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Japan is super conservative about televised depictions of teenagers drinking or smoking, for the record, leading to censorship like this:

Even P4 couldn't really get away with the whole underage drinking thing and they had to twist it into a gag that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 42: 6/1-6/3: An Inappropriate Student-Teacher Relationship

Sorry, I couldn’t hold it in. You’ll have to make some kind of excuse for me.

“Employee Posts Nude Chef Selfie!” Wild-Duck Burger claims to have fired the employee in question. Those close to the man voiced their surprise, vouching for his seriousness at work. “Is Shibuya Unsafe? Crime Rising!” The police are issuing warnings for people to be wary of scams. “Hotspots of Tokyo!” Tickets for the Madarame exhibit are available until June 5th!
The Madarame exhibit goes on until June 5th… That’s the end of this week. We’ll show him what a change of heart means!

Music: Tokyo Daylight

It sounded like she was in trouble. Why don’t you go ask her what’s going on? She should be at school anyways, right?

I’d rather drink bleach than ever think about last night ever again, but sure.

In the hallway, we find Ms. Kawakami being beset by Ms. Chouno.

Kawakami’s been driven into a corner by Chouno! Let’s talk to her so we can help her out.

Get home safely, Hamiru-kun. Well then, I have another matter to attend to, so I have to excuse myself…
No! We’re not finished talking yet!
But I...
There’s been a series of scandals on this campus. We’re all being called into question. And yet you leave work earlier than anyone—and you barely make it to the faculty meetings! Explain yourself! Don’t tell me you’re out running around at night!?
Kawakami’s being grilled by Chouno. She said she’d do anything if we helped her out, so let’s clear up Chouno’s suspicions.
The school’s closing soon, Mr. Hamiru. Head on home before it gets late. Or did you need something from Ms. Kawakami?

...What?

...Another question?
Th-That’s right! Hamiru-kun’s questions are complicated, so I take time at night to help him...
So you’re giving individual lessons outside of school hours, hm? What passion! You are the ideal teacher! A passionate teacher is exactly what we need at this school. I’m sorry for suspecting you. Well then, keep up the hard work, you two.

But that did clear up her suspicion, so… thanks. Could you come with me for a bit?

This is the address and phone number of my night job.
I received a phone number from Kawakami.

What? What the gently caress???

Just be careful that it doesn’t show up in your call history though, OK?
Nice going, man. No call history means a public telephone. Let’s call from Leblanc’s yellow phone. Let’s call her over to your room the next time you’re free at night!

I feel dirty.

OK, I have to go.

Do you think we could maybe spend some time together before I go?
>Hang out with her
Thanks! Hm, what should I get for Shiho…? It’s hard deciding by myself.

Music: What’s Going On?

Oh, but I probably can’t take a crepe into the hospital, huh… I… really want one though… Do you think maybe Shiho would want one too?

It might be half off… but I should try to control myself… Shiho might have rehab today too. They probably wouldn’t even let her eat it. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention—Shiho started her physical rehab. She pushed it up ahead of schedule. I think it’s because I told her about how I want to get stronger. She said she was gonna start working hard too… I haven’t actually seen any of her rehab sessions yet though...

Oh, hold on.

Uhhh, that’s not good!

Sorry, something just came up! That was from my agency. One of the models didn’t show for a magazine shoot they’re doing. They’re looking to wrap soon, so I’m gonna head over now to fill in. ...It’s pretty close though. Wanna come with? Actually, let’s just go! I’ll race you there!

Music: Break it Down

It looks like they’re having a pre-shoot briefing...

This is the only Confidant sub-character to get a portrait and I have no idea why. She’s easily the least important character in the game to get one.

After I saw you in last year’s show, I just… *sniff* Oh, I think I’m gonna cry...
U-Um, it really wasn’t a big deal… That fashion show was tiny...
By the way, I’m Mika. And please, no honorifics. I might be older, but you have loads more experience, Ann-senpai.
All right, M-Mika… Haha, it feels a little weird saying it like that… Oh, and you don’t need to use “senpai” with me. A-Anyway, uh… it’s nice to meet you?
Likewise, Ann-chan. *giggle* You’re so nice.

Hey, can you teach me how to be a better model? You know, your everyday routines, stretches...

O-Oh, is that all you do…? Then, what kinda stuff do you eat? I’ve been looking all over for a place to import some organic green almonds… Plus I’m getting suuuper tired of eating quinoa. Do I need to like, boil it in hard water or something?
Um, almonds? I only ever eat those when they’re covered in chocolate… and hard water? Isn’t it kinda tough to boil ice…?

…… Do you weigh yourself?
Oh, of course! Once a year for the health examinations at school.

You are impressively bad at this.

…… So… you’re gonna keep it all a secret from me, huh? I get it. I guess it’s hard trusting someone you just met...
Th-That’s not it! I just don’t really think about that stuff…! It has nothing to do with not trusting you. It’s more that modeling is like a hobby for me.

Music: Wicked Plan

What do you mean you don’t care about modeling for these guys!?

I love this magazine! Everyone tries so hard to make sure their product is the best…!
Mika-chan, just calm down. Don’t worry, we all know that you’re giving it your all here.
But… you guys work so much harder than me… and I’m still the one getting comforted… *sniff*
H-Hold on…
Ann-chan, the truth is, we had both you and Mika-chan come down as substitutes for our missing model. We wanted both of you on the cover, but if you’re not really interested...
H-Hey. I didn’t…
Don’t worry, I… I can do it alone! I read the concept docs on my way here… *sniff*

Oh, I like this chick.

You faker...!

Sorry about all this, Ann-chan. We won’t be needing you today. We’ll reimburse your transportation expenses though, and even throw in a little extra for your trouble.
But… …...
The magazine staff left for the photoshoot...

But maybe it’s because deep down, I’m not actually that invested in modeling… She sees straight through that. Anyway, I totally ruined the shoot… But still, wasn’t Mika’s fake crying pretty incredible?

I-I dunno though, I think I’m pretty good at fake crying myself. I know the perfect technique.

Listen carefully… The key is… you don’t actually cry!

Either way, I think I’ll be able to use that ability to our advantage in the Metaverse! I’ll turn my failure today into positive energy going forward!
I sense a heightened motivation from Ann...

I didn’t use Ann much in my first playthrough, but still, this never procced once for me. Doesn’t seem terribly useful anyway. (e: apparently this only affects the rates demons ask for money during hostage situations... which is incredibly rare already, making this one of the most useless Confidant abilities in the game)

Speaking of the Metaverse… I’m gonna try super hard in my work with the Phantom Thieves too! But for now, I should go stop by and see Shiho at the hospital. Thanks for today! Bye!

Madarame is still bedridden. He hasn’t spoken a single word. My apologies for not being able to provide anything more solid...
C’mon, it’s not your fault. Don’t worry about it. Although it is June already...
The exhibition will be ending soon...
At least it doesn’t seem like Madarame’s had a mental shutdown. But there’s no point if he don’t have a change of heart and call off that legal action bullshit.

Yeah, Kamoshida was out of school for a while.
Either way, there has been no palpable progress. It appears only the target themselves can tell whether or not their heart has changed.
It’s a goddamn pain in the rear end, but yeah. We just gotta hear from Madarame himself what the deal is.
Yeah, there’s nothing we can really do… Let’s just try waiting a little longer.

You going to call her?

gently caress no!

Stuff like that happening makes me not want to eat there, ever. There’s just no excuse for it.

Thank you. The curry was delicious.

The scandal occurred just before a stockholder meeting, having dire effects on the fast food chain. As for the man behind the scandal, he claims that he was “fully nude at work before he realized it.”
Why would anyone do that? Did he think he was being hilarious or something?

That story’s really dominating the news cycle, eh?

Since we’re definitely not calling up Kawakami, let’s see what other people chose to do with their ti-huh?

Trial by burger?

TRIAL BY BURGER

Hey, my bad. I’m trying, it’s just really hard to wrap my head around how formal Japanese culture is!
Why’d you even take this job if you can’t speak Japanese well?
I said I’m sorry...

I feel bad for Foreign Barker, but I must find this burger.

Music: Big Bang Burger March

We’re currently offering what we call the Big Bang Challenge! Why don’t you take the challenge? The universe awaits! Due to the popularity of the Big Bang Challenge, we are offering another campaign this month! At night, the Big Bang Challenge will cost our intrepid travelers a meager fee of only 500 yen! What can I get for you?

At this time, you can take the Big Bang Challenge for only 500 yen. Would you like to try it?

Now then, go take a seat! And good luck!

This is your first time, yes? Your starting rank will be Third Mate. Thus, your aim will be… the Comet Burger!

You see, there are actually three challenges, unlocked after beating each previous challenge, that give increased stat gains, but also have increased stat requirements.

This is a lot bigger than I was expecting...
This burger is as voluminous as a soaring comet burning in the sky. It will not be overcome easily. But should you conquer this challenge, you will be rewarded with an extravagant prize.
Ooh, a prize would be great! Good luck, Maaku!
Well then, it’s time to get the thirty-minute Big Bang Challenge started! Ready… Go!

Music: High Pressure

This is a tough battle...!
I’m rooting for you… and remember, nobody will think any less of you if you give up partway through.

Y-You did it!

Since you managed to extinguish the Comet Burger… I present to you the 2nd Mate Badge!

It gives you +10 HP. It’s garbage.

New challenges will await you now that you’ve become a Second Mate! I look forward to your next attempt at our challenge!
You took that Comet Burger down! You were so admirable, taking on such a daunting task with that intense level of courage!

Maaku gains Guts +1.

Your pace, your strategy of using well-timed drinks, and just the spectacular way you devoured it… Everything was perfect!

Maaku gains Knowledge +1, Charm +1, and Proficiency +1.

Come on, we should head home. I’m full just from watching you...

Why did Mr. Kamoshida change all of a sudden?

Is that your hypothesis? It’s still too sudden… I believe it’s only natural to think that something must have caused it. ...Well, that’s fine. Thanks for your valuable opinion. I’ll take it into account.

Later in the day, we head on over to Shi-oh goddammit, again?

Are you alone? Are you going to meet Sakamoto-kun and Takamaki-san? U-Um, I don’t mean to pry. I was simply wondering. A-Ah, yes… There are errands to do. I must be going. Hmmm… First to the pharmacy, then shopping at Rocinante...

Anyway, we head to the diner. Maaku gains Knowledge +2 and Kindness +1.

Now, when it comes to probation… A: Overseas travel is prohibited/B: Probation officers are unpaid/Which one of these statements is true? You be the judge!

The correct answer is… B! Probation officers don’t receive a salary!
Probation officers are civil volunteers. They are only paid the necessary amount when providing a report. Since probation is intended to encourage rehabilitation, overseas travel is not prohibited.
You got it right! It’s pretty amazing that the chief is doing this for no pay, though…
It feels like I’ve improved my Knowledge.

Are probation officers like, a different thing in Japan, because this can’t be true. Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Maaku gains Charm +3.

Anon: ok but are they hot

I dunno, you tell me.

We choose to read Vague today.

You could learn about cutting-edge fashions there, but I’d say what’s on the inside is more important… Still, this place looks fun, almost like a theme park. Taking someone there might be a pretty good idea. So, you’ve finished reading Vague. Harajuku seems to have a lot of cool shops. Takenoko Street also seems pretty interesting.

You should invite someone to go sometime. I can’t imagine you as the fashionable type, though...

Well, gently caress you too, cat.

Well, you can’t. Guess who can?

I don’t think my bond with Ann will deepen just yet...

ME!

OK! Where should we go? Somewhere popular would be nice!

I know just the place.

Harajuku… how about Takenoko Street? It’d be great if you could come shopping with me. Even just going for the people watching is interesting. Anyway, let’s go!

Music: What’s Going On?

But all the people are such a pain… What gives them the right to be here!?

That’s weirdly selfish thinking of you.

Anyway, let’s get through quickly so we don’t get caught by the salespeople!

In any case, there are so many different types of people here. It’s fun just watching them. People might think I’m weird if they see me staring at them alone… But I’m sure it’s fine as long as I’m with you.

I mean, things are half as fun if you don’t have anyone to share that fun with, right? I wonder what all these people are thinking about right now… Some of them might even be sad beneath those happy exteriors, and we’d never even know… Hey, don’t you get fired up when you’re thinking about helping them out!? Oh, um… never mind. That’s not what we were talking about...

Are you interested in this stuff? You can have it if you want.

Oh poo poo. Is this what I think it is?

I feel like my bond with Ann will grow stronger soon...
Well then, want to go home?

Even those who only came out of curiosity find themselves entranced by his delicate imagery. The exhibition is scheduled to continue until June 5th.
That exhibition is ending soon, eh? I wonder what’s going to happen.

Oh, man, please be it...

gently caress YES THIS poo poo’S NEVER COMING DOWN

...Ahem.

Well, time to bite the bullet and make this call.

I should try calling the maid delivery service… I feel like I can call whenever I want since I’m full of Guts!

Using the public phone requires Rank 3 Guts, for the record. Thankfully, we just hit that recently.

Thinking of calling in a maid? Well, if you use this, you won’t leave proof in your call history! This is all for the good of the Phantom Thieves… right?

Yeah… sure.

...Oh, wait, it’s you. Well, it’ll be 5,000 yen with the request fee included, you know. Is that OK with you?

You have to pay this fee every single time you want to engage with this Confidant, rank up or no. It becomes exorbitantly expensive, especially at this point in the game.

...OK. I’ll head over right away then...

...Never mind. So, what kind of kid are you? The way you opposed Mr. Kamoshida, I’d say that you’re earnest and have a strong sense of justice. That being said… you called a maid service and requested me?

You asked me to!

I spent a good while debating which of these sounded more pathetic.

I’ll let you skip class a few times.

It’s tough not having any place where you belong, isn’t it? However, I reserve the right to change my mind if your grades drop. And in exchange, you won’t tell anyone that I’m moonlighting as a maid. Sound good?

Then it’s a deal!
I’ve made a deal with Kawakami...

Music: Interrogation Room

I can’t believe you managed that by yourself. There had to be someone at the school helping you. ...What do you have to say to that?

Pff, come on Sae, you haven’t even scratched the surface of this one. I’d tell you to try a little harder but the reality is so loving insane I can’t even blame you for not getting it.

Music: The Spirit

The Temperance arcana represents concepts like patience, balance, and moderation, or when reversed the very opposite, signaling excess and imbalance.

Oh, also it’s the lamest possible version of “skipping class” because you still have to be at class.

I would also like the answer to that question.

Well, I guess I should get going. Oh, please request me if you need any help with your housework, OK?

That’s clearly not true. C’mon, we know each other’s secret and it would put my mind at ease… Besides, I’m, uh… I’m considered over the hill for this type of job, so I don’t get requested that often… I’ll show my appreciation by making it easy for you to ditch class! Just think about it, OK? Thank you for using our service...

What is this game.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 5, 2018