Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arist posted:

And I've been leaning towards not voting but I might honestly do a vote to decide if there will be a vote because I don't know anymore. Despite all my kvetching Kawakami isn't even the one I would veto if you guys picked it though.

Just romance everyone. The scene you get for it is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

RedMagus posted:

The only romance we should pursue is our love of :catdrugs:.

And not the person who gives them either. :colbert:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Mark Hamill is going to date starry-eyed student

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Arcsech posted:

Just romance everyone. The scene you get for it is pretty great.

My curiosity now demands we do this, my sense of responsibility says... still do it because hey, it's a fictional character and therefore more responsible to see what happens to them than to try and do this in real life.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
I'd say have a vote but also reserve the right to veto if certain characters win (don't tell us which!). Of course I'm a fan of joke votes in these LPs so seeing some horrible option winning and Arist being aghast before bringing down the gavel seems like the best possible outcome, maybe that's not the same for everybody.

Also for anyone who really wants to see certain things that might not appear in the LP you can find almost anything persona 5 on youtube, particularly for romance options. Just be resilient and wait for after the LP is over to see what you missed though, cause youtube is always full of spoilers as well.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

Arist posted:

I'd prefer you didn't. Talking about characters' stat growth seems fine, but getting into their entire skill tree is a little much imo.

And I've been leaning towards not voting but I might honestly do a vote to decide if there will be a vote because I don't know anymore. Despite all my kvetching Kawakami isn't even the one I would veto if you guys picked it though.

I guess I'll just talk about that when we're near endgame because most of what I wanted to get in to was what skills each character got (or in some cases, didn't get, Yusuke! :argh:)

As for voting, I'd say yeah, the thread should be allowed to at least push for a certain girl to be romanced. I'm only saying that because Good Boy isn't an option though. Also, I don't think we should go for the "date everyone" option simply because that runs the risk of leaving Arist shortchanged on time that could be spent doing Mementos or building up more useful or higher priority Confidants.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I though you were going to romance Ann, since you've been levelling up her confidant for the past few updates.

Please don't date everyone. That scene can be seen on youtube if anyone is curious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 56: 6/25: The Nice Meltdown

There’s some important news coming at the end of this update, everyone. Just read normally, you’ll understand in time.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

First things first, we need some stuff from Takemi.

Music: Butterfly Kiss

Some of these will greatly increase our survivability, but they’re not the only reason we’re here.

No, the main reason we came to the clinic is for SP Adhesive 3. If you don’t remember what this does, it gives us Invigorate 3, which restores 7 SP per turn on whoever has it equipped. We were only going to buy one of these, but considering that we have yet to actually incur the massive expense we went to Mementos to save up for due to the Palace visit getting pushed up, we can afford to buy two while still having plenty left over. Since the end goal is to have four of these, one for every active party member, we might as well buy a second one now. We’ll stick one on ourselves and give the other to Makoto.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Now, it’s time to head to the Palace.

Music: Price

You all were using code names, weren’t you?
You’re quite perceptive.
This time’s a hard one… Maybe somethin’ like “Shoulder Pads”?
Why in the world did you focus on that…?
I refuse to be called that.
What about “Rider”?
Sounds too much like a smuggler. Next.
“Fixer”?
I’m not a mastermind though. Next. Won’t you give me something better to work with?
She reminds me of an empress. You got anything, Joker?

Whoa, I totally see it!
It fits so well that I’m at a loss for words here.
Queen… It has a nice ring to it. I like it. Let’s go with that. Now then, could you explain to me the strategy for this mission?
...Strategy?

This is approaching Naoto levels of not understanding that we’re all idiots.

Uhh… We pretty much look around the area, I provide navigation when needed, and then…
If we run into Shadows, we beat the poo poo outta ‘em!
Very well then. I feel like I’ll be useful for sure. It seems my role is to be the brain of this team. I’ll analyze Mona’s information and give out orders. Any objections?

I bet Skull’s definitely the type that’ll be under a girl’s thumb.
Mona, will you begin navigating us?

Him too, it seems...

Apparently we are acknowledged as customers who can be extorted.
...That’s fine. We can take advantage of his negligence.
Though I will say, it’s a little scary every time.

Approaching the front door reveals that it is impassable.

It seems as though they didn’t want to leave that gaping hole...
But… we can’t get in now...
Sorry… I… think I might have taken it a little too far...

That’s right. We would have been in serious danger had it not been for Queen’s actions.
Th-Thanks...
The details are no longer important. Let us search for a new infiltration point, Joker.

Let’s examine this suspicious pig statue.

Wait. I can feel a draft coming from underneath the statue… Doesn’t this seem strange to you, Joker?

...Especially that placard. I wonder why it looks so odd.
Why don’t we check it out?

The statue moves, and that weird Legend of Zelda chime plays again.

Let’s head inside… After we’re adequately prepared, of course.

I don’t remember seeing this place last time… Just where exactly are we…?
There has to be a map somewhere. For now, let’s try to explore and search for the Treasure.

We don’t got any business with reception anymore, right? Let’s try attackin’ some new places!
That should be OK, but there will be a lot of enemies. Try to be careful, OK?

These Nekomata are weak to Electricity and use Wind and Physical.

High Pixies are weak to Gun and Nuclear, and like to put party members to sleep, heal, and use Wind.

An elevator arrives.

The Shadow gets in the elevator, and it descends.

It looks like there are lower floors in here too…
Hm, but that elevator is lacking a control panel.
They probably control it from a security room. It’s a simple, but effective measure of screening.
That must mean they really don’t want anyone going down there...

Orobas is weak to Bless and uses Sukukaja and Fire attacks.

Angel is weak to Curse (not Gun, though, the first winged enemy we’ve seen that isn’t), and likes to try to instant-kill us with Hama and also blow itself up. Sure, why not? This place is hell.

I’m not sure I can handle that...
Y’mean ‘cause you’re a cat?
I meant ‘cause it might be quicker or smarter than other enemies! J-Just be careful, Joker!

I don’t know about smarter, but these things are definitely a hell of a lot faster than other enemies.

In a second, they’re on you. It’s really important to get the ambush, because if they catch you off guard they’re likely to get the advantage.

This is Orthrus. It’s weak to Ice and really, really likes Fire.

We see the ever-rare hostage situation once more here.

Let’s call in for help this time, just to see what it’s like.

A true hero by the name Vitam1nB...

A shot from offscreen forces the enemy to back away.

Finally, we see yet another Oni.

One thing Makoto can do is sub in occasionally for navigation duties. It’s pretty neat. It also won’t save us here!

Oni still loves using Rampage!

Now, fine, we just go do all that again and--

gently caress

Okay, one more ti--

gently caress

All right, let’s think about this calmly and approach this with--

WHY

I’m not mad. It’s funny, actually. Just one more tr--

ha. haha. hahaha. hahahahahahhhaahahahahahahahhaahaghhahahahahahahhahahahahassdgkksdgdjkgfjksadfjkd

……

…….

…….

…….

…….

…….

...Nope, no more of this. I’m done. I’m not kidding. This is too much. All this work to appease you chattering imbeciles, but it’s never enough, is it? You think you know more about this game than me just because you constantly point out my countless grievous factual errors, huh? Well, maybe you do, but that’s not the point! You wastrels get off on this, don’t you?

Persona 5 has no chill. Just because you leave on the wrong Persona multiple times and refuse to change your strategy at all between deaths, it keeps happening? What bullshit is this? This is the worst gaming experience I’ve had since my heavily savescummed playthrough of XCOM 2!

And you realize I’m never actually going to finish this game, right? It’s been five months and I’m not even halfway done. This LP is an asymptote. I committed to this thinking it would be an interesting way to spend some time and get some e-cred. I never thought I’d spend most of my Sunday rewatching footage of me dying five times in a row in the first three rooms of this loving Palace that smells like butts and oh god what am I doing with my life.

This isn’t worth it. Goodbye forever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The end! No moral.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo, we broke the OP :smith:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

bye

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

rip op

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The front end of the bank is incredibly brutal, I feel you. Although you didn't get to its biggest dick move That loving safe room that only activates after to take out the midboss and there are a million enemies before it and then there's another safe room like two minutes away argh! :argh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

am I too late to vote for Kawakami

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Quick, someone reload the last LP save.

quote:

This is the moment where she realized that, as dumb as she's been acting, everyone around her is even worse. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 25, 2017

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
The front end of this palace can kiss my rear end. I got so lost the first time in here trying to find my way.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
That bit at the end was meant to be a parody of DSP wasn't it?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Well, assuming the bit at the end isn't a joke, that's sort of what I expected. I had 130 hours on my save at the end of my run, the amount of effort involved in LPing this (especially as a screenshot LP, transcribing all the dialog) is frankly insane. Good on Arist for getting as far as he did.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Really Pants posted:

am I too late to vote for Kawakami

Not empty quoting.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Oxxidation posted:

The end! No moral.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Yes I too do not have fond memories of the front area of the bank

also,
hmmm
I think I missed something

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Well if nothing else it's good to see I'm not the only one who loving hates the bank.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Had more trouble with the art museum than the bank. I think that may have been due to not using Yusuke in the bank. Way too many fire enemies.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This is why you admit that you are bad at video games and just want to watch the anime shenanigans and set the game on easy.

No regrets.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Clearly the only solution is go inside the OP's mindscape and steal his treasure. I assume it's a wasteland of shattered controllers, and the PRIMA strategy guide, respectively.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Stephen9001 posted:

That bit at the end was meant to be a parody of DSP wasn't it?

Who or what is DSP?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

serefin99 posted:

Who or what is DSP?

A lovely youtube person whose gimmick is being bad at things and then complaining about it.

Black_Oni 165
Mar 11, 2015

serefin99 posted:

Who or what is DSP?

Oh my sweet child, the internet has such wonders to show you.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

serefin99 posted:

Who or what is DSP?

A person who took several hours to fail to Nyx Avatar on Easy before ragequitting so fiercely that ATLUS USA's youtube account dunked on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD87waPSvc4

edit: also apparently I never actually posted in this thread even though I've been following it since the start? Jesus.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Grinnblade posted:

A person who took several hours to fail to Nyx Avatar on Easy before ragequitting so fiercely that ATLUS USA's youtube account dunked on him.

edit: also apparently I never actually posted in this thread even though I've been following it since the start? Jesus.

And this video, specifically, is why I assumed the end of the update was supposed to be a parody of DSP. Any else think my conclusion seems reasonable?

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Stephen9001 posted:

And this video, specifically, is why I assumed the end of the update was supposed to be a parody of DSP. Any else think my conclusion seems reasonable?

Well, since the alternative is Arist painstakingly typing a whiny rant with tongue-in-cheek allusions to his bad strategy choices and lack of ability to learn from his mistakes, your conclusion is more than reasonable.

Or, in shorter form: :thejoke:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

LupusAter posted:

Well, since the alternative is Arist painstakingly typing a whiny rant with tongue-in-cheek allusions to his bad strategy choices and lack of ability to learn from his mistakes, your conclusion is more than reasonable.

Or, in shorter form: :thejoke:

Well yes, the main reason I asked is because I tend to like to get confirmation for things, even when they seem obvious. This is the internet after all, and misunderstandings can happen easily, for example, the people who seem to have a serious response to the OP declaring that they are done, are they themselves being funny and trying to further the joke, or do they honestly believe the OP is "done"? I know from experience that people being part of the latter possibility is far from impossible.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
LPs can often make a game look easy. While P5 and most recent Atlus games are relatively decent about not throwing challenges you aren't equipped to handle at you, that doesn't mean they're any less unforgiving of mistakes as the old ones.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Never have I been more relieved to get 'owned.'

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
So you picked a popular game to LP, an Atlus SMT game, Persona for that matter, and you expected to get through it in less than a year? You have to be a master of it to navigate through all of it's tricks and traps to have a flawless playthrough. I've played through Strange Journey (twice), SMT IV, and IV Apocalypse, and before that, I've read through all of Luisfe's LPs from Persona 2 through Strange Journey. In SMT, you will die repeatedly, but your deaths have less to do with random chance than with poor strategy.

You have to know your opponent's weaknesses and prepare for them. You're probably not stuck at this point, but you may have to slog through. You're getting trounced by Rampage right? Do you have any Resist Phys gear/masks/whatever this game uses? I haven't seen any Null, Reflect, or Absorb passive skills yet, but it's still early. Maybe you can buff your defenses?

As for the know-it-alls, instead of getting angry, either learn or ignore them. It's still your LP and who cares if you're perfect or barely get by? Get some sleep and take a breather for a while. It's just a game. Personally, I'd rather see it completed, even if it takes you 5 years. We've had longer LPs than that and even longer breaks without content. You at least update fairly regularly, so I think your LP is going well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Pretty sure the last update was satire.

Arist posted:

Persona 5 has no chill. Just because you leave on the wrong Persona multiple times and refuse to change your strategy at all between deaths, it keeps happening? What bullshit is this?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Looks like everybody assumes the position when they're taken hostage or knocked out

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

mastersord posted:

So you picked a popular game to LP, an Atlus SMT game, Persona for that matter, and you expected to get through it in less than a year? You have to be a master of it to navigate through all of it's tricks and traps to have a flawless playthrough. I've played through Strange Journey (twice), SMT IV, and IV Apocalypse, and before that, I've read through all of Luisfe's LPs from Persona 2 through Strange Journey. In SMT, you will die repeatedly, but your deaths have less to do with random chance than with poor strategy.

You have to know your opponent's weaknesses and prepare for them. You're probably not stuck at this point, but you may have to slog through. You're getting trounced by Rampage right? Do you have any Resist Phys gear/masks/whatever this game uses? I haven't seen any Null, Reflect, or Absorb passive skills yet, but it's still early. Maybe you can buff your defenses?

As for the know-it-alls, instead of getting angry, either learn or ignore them. It's still your LP and who cares if you're perfect or barely get by? Get some sleep and take a breather for a while. It's just a game. Personally, I'd rather see it completed, even if it takes you 5 years. We've had longer LPs than that and even longer breaks without content. You at least update fairly regularly, so I think your LP is going well.

lmao

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Grinnblade posted:

Out of curiosity (and I'm not trying to defend the mouthbreather here), as someone that never played 3 what are you supposed to do there? Null charm accessories on your diarahan users?

Or I guess using one Dis-Charm potion out of the 99 the mouthbreather had in his inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Its quite hard to deal with it once you are in the fight and you dont know it can happen the first time around(I lucked out on my first run and never had the boss charm my healers, and that fight still took almost two hours)
the annoying part is not being able to control your teammates (especially if Nyx avatars turn comes after your main character but before theirs, like for the first time he got charmed) thats thankfully something P4 did away with

so discharm wouldnt have helped him but he got charmed twice that fight. he really should have gotten a nullcharm persona sometime during the game and switched to that for the fight after the first hit
except
his party really sucked, he was underleveled, and had no really good personas for anything other than damage spells.

so he probably had no chance in hell