Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This conversation about Yu-Gi-Oh! and DIO reminds me that there is a Yu-Gi-Oh! GX villain voiced by Koyasu whose signature card is The World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLOsSI8OhNo

Jesus, he even keeps screaming about Fate the whole time.

Arist posted:

Part 65: 7/7-7/8: Flower Power

I can sense a quiet resolve from Makoto...

I feel like my bond with Ohya is growing deeper...

I feel like my Charm has increased...

My deal with Ohya seems to be progressing smoothly...

Holy moly, Maaku is such a huge dork. I wish he got to say full sentences more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey so I went back and recorded some stuff in regards to the fake ending you get when you fail to beat Kaneshiro in time, because someone requested I do that. I have the footage, but I've decided not to actually do anything with it (at least not yet) because in my opinion the ending goes a little too far and reveals a little too much. I'll probably post it eventually... by which I mean, I'll do it when it's no longer a spoiler.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kind of weird to hear our new analysis maven dismissing the value of a good education. I realize they don't exactly teach "fundamental fears of the human psyche" as an elective but if you pay attention you can probably get close from context.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Glazius posted:

Kind of weird to hear our new analysis maven dismissing the value of a good education. I realize they don't exactly teach "fundamental fears of the human psyche" as an elective but if you pay attention you can probably get close from context.

She's just feeling out rebelling against authority and openly questioning why she does any of the poo poo she does for the first time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 66: 7/9-7/10: Maaku Hamiru’s Time-Traveling Burglary Club

Well, thanks to some bullshit in regards to an inaccurate and archaic cap on character limits, I had to cleave this post in twain. Whatever.

Anon: who do they think they are
Anon: dunno what they want. NO
Anon: C’mon, show us your faces!
Anon: Who needs police anymore?

And our notoriety increases yet again.

People are saying it was foretold by a calling card...
Oh, I know about that! I saw them in Shibuya!
That Phantom Thieves forum is super active.
There’s a forum!? What’s it called? I wanna see!

Anon: get rekt, scumbags lmao
Anon: jokes on the cops! rofl
Anon: lel. Kaneshiro was a pig
Anon: p thieves, can u see this?
Anon: could this really be it?

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Did you catch the news report this morning about the mafia boss getting busted? Apparently, someone scattered calling cards all across Shibuya just before his arrest. Remember the Kamoshida scandal? They say the same thing happened, that someone left a calling card. Madarame too, if I’m not mistaken.
Do you think it’s the Phantom Thieves? If so, I’m impressed. I can’t believe they actually steal hearts!

Music: Disquiet

And yet he simply turned himself in—even confessed all his crimes. The Phantom Thieves...

...Depending on the means, yes. He’s absolutely right.
Even if it makes someone admit their evil deeds and helps make them pay for their crimes?

*sigh*

...drat it!

Music: So Boring

It seems like some of our students had been victimized by them, so we can breathe easy for now. I’m thankful to the police for arresting the perp, even though they’re just doing their job. By the way, “perp” is police slang. You might have heard the stars in police procedurals say it. It’s short for “perpetrator.”

The sec with the mo’s got a perf al.

Speaking of stars… Can you answer this question, Hamiru-san?

No, no. gently caress off. I’m not letting you get away with that bullshit segue. Try harder.

That’s correct.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

By the way, there are rumors that the Phantom Thieves took down the perp this time—Kaneshiro. I remember their name with that bit on Madarame, as well as the incident in May. Is this a new urban legend? Anyway, please prepare for your tests starting Wednesday, and don’t be distracted by rumors like that.
Looks like we succeeded in changing Kaneshiro’s heart! A lot of people are talking about the Phantom Thieves too!

Music: Alright

Hell yeah! Kaneshiro finally confessed! People’ve been makin’ a huge deal of it since the police announcement!
It’s difficult to accept that the authorities are taking all of the credit for his arrest.

It’s all comin’ together for us!
This is quite the turnaround. All of a sudden, people are expressing their long-standing belief in us.
So this is why Makoto told us to post the calling card anywhere that might stand out.
Pretty smart move on her part. Oh… where is our amazing Miss President?

I’ve been called into a meeting with the principal. There’s no need to worry though. More importantly, there is a special on TV about the Phantom Thieves!
Huh? What did it say!?
They were talking all about our calling cards.
For real!?
Anyway, my apologies about today. I’ll have to see you all another time.

Maaku tells them.

Really!? That’s freakin’ crazy!
I hope all this excitement doesn’t place us on the police’s radar.
It’ll be fine! No way they’d fine out about that weird other world!
True, but… Do you remember what the fake Kaneshiro said towards the end?

Yeah, he said we’re not the only ones who are doing it…
Eh, not gonna let it bother me. Far as we know, he was just pullin’ that poo poo out of his rear end.
I hope that’s the case...
Anyways, in your face, Akechi! Now whaddya wanna do about our next target!?
Don’t get ahead of yourself. Still, people might expect a lot from our next move considering how excited they’re getting.
We can’t just pick any old schmo now.
There is no need to hurry though. Counting Kamoshida, we’ve claimed three consecutive victories, right? We should just lay low and wait for all this excitement to blow over.
In that case, how about we have another celebration?
Good idea! We can make it a welcomin’ party for Miss President too. By the way, that briefcase? It’s pretty drat expensive! Let’s sell it and drop the cash on our party.

Sorry, Ryuji. I already sold it to finance my health drink habit.

Wow… Seems like the “lay low and wait” idea has gone completely out the window.
So we can count you out then, Morgana?

Hahaha, that’s the spirit. Well, I’m gonna let Makoto know!

Oh…
What’s wrong?

If you wish not to stand out, you had best not get bad grades, OK? That is something I simply would not be able to overlook as student council president! For now, behave and concentrate on your studies. We can have fun once finals are over… Understood?

Urrrgh...

I believe in what I wrote… “The Phantom Thieves are just.”
Have you figured out who they are?
No, I’m nowhere close. However, after considering all the facts, I concluded there are no errors in their acts or principles. Thus, upon deeming them to be on the side of justice, I have decided to end my investigation.
But that’s impossible!
Impossible…? May I see the evidence you have that leads you to believe so?
I was just speaking to the director of a prestigious college about your letter of recommendation too...
There will be no need for that. I intend on getting into a good college by my own merit. Please excuse me.

About that… Yes, I am making progress. However, I have stumbled upon some difficulties… Still, why would someone as important as you be interested in a petty case like this…? N-No! That’s not what I meant…! I will investigate with all the resources available to me. Of course… Um, I should be able to let you know relatively soon. Yes, I will bring good news… Well then, thank you for your--

The person on the other end abruptly hangs up.

Man, poor Richard Epcar principal. I know Double-Stuf Albino Ving Rhames here isn’t exactly on the up-and-up, but yikes. He’s about to let out the saddest “HOLY poo poo” of all time.

Music: Days of Sisters

Hi, Sis. You look tired… Is everything OK?
Don’t worry about me. How about you, Makoto? Have you been keeping up with your studies?
Yes, of course. Though… what is the point of studying?
...What do you mean?

:siren: SAE FREAKOUT INCOMING :siren:

I was just wondering what will be waiting for me at the end… Even if I manage to push through tough entrance exams, I’m still thrust into a competitive society.
What else is there besides success? Don’t ask me such childish questions.

Even the police couldn’t figure out why. It really… was out of nowhere. This would only make sense if his personality changed… but that would be impossible.
Why does it matter? The police still caught him in the end, right?
I had plans set for a promotion, but no one can take credit for his arrest now with that confession. ...Not that a child would understand.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat. Anyway, Sae leaves.

Promotion… You’ve changed, Sis. But… I’ll be OK. ...I finally found a place where I belong.

Aww...

Music: Beneath the Mask

That doesn’t mean you can slack off because summer’s on the horizon, got it?

It is only natural that people are surprised. Even the police were struggling to catch him.
Yeah. By the way, you said you were called in by the principal? Did something happen?
It was regarding my investigation of the incident with Mr. Kamoshida.

I will. I’ve graduated from my role as the exemplary honor student. From now on, I’m going to be more honest with myself. It’s quite a refreshing feeling.

It’d actually be a big problem if you didn’t stick with us.
We should allow her to join us. It would be greatly convenient.
Well then, I hope I can continue getting along with all of you.
An advisor, huh…? This new teammate of ours is pretty promising! We’ll be able to do even more now!

Many people are surprised that such a major criminal was suddenly arrested. Police are also reasserting their stance that the “Phantom Thieves” weren’t involved in the arrest. However, some outlets are reporting otherwise.
The police should just be honest. Why play dumb?

Hey-looo, lil cricket. I mean, shee… cicada. What’re your summer… summer memoriesh?

Chirp chirp! Girlsh! Oh. Oh, I fergot! I should really find a… a wives. Wife. Mother! Faaatheer! I’m shooorry! I can’t make you a grandkid jush by mysheeeeeelf!

Homework? Yesh… I’mma busy too, wi’ veryyy impurtant researsh in sciencsh, y’know. Centrifugal. Inertia! Gravitation fieldsh! H-Hamilton Jacobi action angle variaaableeeesh!

And the third choice is boring.

They steal people’s hearts, right? You think they can steal the tests for our summer classes?
No, dummy. If they steal anything, they’ll steal the hearts of our teachers and parents. They’ll make ‘em cry on TV and say they’re sorry because they make us study too much.

In honor of the Phantom Thieves, I give you… “Sometimes Blues”! My heart hides behind tears/Will you steal it/Steal it away in eternal night/Hey, is it possible to change/And make the debut of my new/Self/The Phantom Thieves/Are the greatest/ Thank you so much. How was my performance?

Haha, happy to hear! The blues is all well and good, but I need to live a rock n’ roll life like the Phantom Thieves!

We need to get home and get studying—exams are coming up. Aren’t you screwed otherwise?
Naw, bro—I’ll just flex my connections like a boss!

A lot of business executives appear to be nervous about his arrest.
I didn’t know he was such a big deal… Bravo to the Phantom Thieves.
We shouldn’t celebrate them just yet… They still remain suspicious.

It is imperative that we resolve this situation, and social reform must be led by the government. However, who can the people currently depend on…? Yes, the Phantom Thieves!

Aww, Tora’s the best.

The fact that they’re being lionized is proof that the government is malfunctioning! The mismanagement by authority figures is what has led us to this terrible condition...

I’d like your help on my days off. I’ll contact you again soon to discuss.

He appeared in court on his own, didn’t he? That doesn’t make any sense.
Maybe, behind the scenes, he made a deal with the police or something.
Ahhh, OK, I can buy that. The police can’t really be trusted either.

How do I put it…
*sad meow*
Stuff like the forced smiles and sensing the mood? There’s just still so much for me to learn!

This place ain’t safe! There’s those creepy Phantom Thieves or whatever runnin’ wild. What if they snatch ya up in the dead of night? C’mon, let’s go back home.
I said drop it already! I’m so sick of hearing about the country!

*chuckle* Hey, I work at night. If you got a job for me, just leave a letter in that trash bin. If there’s any annoying trash you want taken out, I’ll dispose of it for ya. Hahaha!

No way, my parents are scumbag gambling addicts! And as their son, I’m a natural scumbag too!

gently caress YEAH, EMBRACE YOUR GENETIC CURSE

You’ve got other worries! People are saying the Phantom Thieves do better work than the police!
Hmph, what a rotten bastard… I’ll get you one of these days.

Hey, careful with how you say things! You’ve got such a dirty mind, you know that?
Look who’s talking! Lusting after a boy at least 20 years younger than you!
Oh, lay off! I can’t help it! Besides, I’m not really me if I’m not in love with somebody, right?

Just go for the fresh meat from the country. They’re nice and innocent—by which I mean naive! Bring ‘em in, even if you gotta use force. Got it?

Wait, is this considered playing at night? Or worse? Well, it’s under my supervision. It’s fine.
I don’t think my bond with Kawakami will deepen just yet...

Music: What’s Going On?

Oh, that’s right. I have something Kawakami might like… I should give it to her as a gift...

Maybe I shouldn’t give any gifts for now...

These gift items can be given to girls to get bonus points to speed up the arrival of the next rank. Kawakami doesn’t seem like the kind of woman who’d be into whatever an Uji Matcha Flan is, though.

I feel like my bond with Kawakami will grow stronger soon…
Well. See you… *sigh*

Music: Interrogation Room

This new ally you gained was Makoto!? Just tell me the truth!

Makoto… That’s preposterous. If what you say is true… ...Was Makoto also running from the police when you were arrested…!?

Now that I think about it… she did start talking a lot about the investigation from summer onward… …… Makoto aside, you mentioned one other important detail. Did Kaneshiro really say there was someone using the Metaverse besides the Phantom Thieves?
*nods*
Those words could just be taken as you shifting blame to this other person, you know.

…… But why would you fabricate such an elaborate story and then shift the blame elsewhere…? There are two possibilities: either you’ve simply been trying to confuse me with your lies… ...Or everything you’ve stated is true.

Huh, so I’m either lying or telling the truth? Wow, you’ve really gained a lot of concrete information, haven’t you Sae?

Have you been telling me the truth from the very start…?

That’s the plan. ...Then again, I am investigating a “thief who steals hearts.” Very well. No matter how absurd it may seem, I’ll reevaluate my stance on believing you for now. In return, speak the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. It’s a fair deal. ...Is that acceptable?
I’ve made a deal with Sae Niijima...

Music: The Spirit

Judgement is a card that represents making a decision, rebirth, and absolution, and when reversed, self-doubt. It’s about the moment of reflection at the end of a journey.

In Personas 3 and 4, Fool and Judgement were linked arcana that represented the bonds between your teammates as the game progressed. When Fool ended, Judgement would step in and take its place. This was because Fool is the first card, 0, and Judgement was the twenty-first and “last” (not counting The World, which is another special arcana that doesn’t get a corresponding Social Link/Confidant in any of the games, or Aeon, which is just Judgement from the Thoth deck stapled onto the end of the deck to make an excuse for another Social Link in the rereleases of 3 and 4). Persona 5, obviously, does not do that, with Fool going to Igor and Judgement going to Sae.

But, yep, we’ve got a Confidant with Sae. There sadly isn’t a flash-forward for this one, heh. Also, you may have noticed that we didn’t get an ability from this level. As you may have guessed, Sae’s Confidant, being Judgment, is a little special. We still get the Arcana Burst experience when we fuse Judgement Personas, though… which is hilariously confusing. You know how The Flash time-travels into Batman’s dream in Batman v Superman? Well, first, you shouldn’t, that movie’s terrible. But anyway, it’s kinda like that but slightly less nonsensical. We do not, in fact, get Arcana Burst experience yet, which is honestly pretty annoying.

Music: Interrogation Room

...I stand corrected. It was they who targeted your group first, wasn’t it?

...Medjed? What’s that one dumb Egyptian god who looks like a sheet ghost got to do with this?

We have no pictures. Even their names and identities are unknown. If what you told me is true, then this “Nav” thing you’ve mentioned wouldn’t have worked in this case. How did you target them? Tell me everything.

Anon: thx admin!!!
Anon: cmon, next target plz
Anon: i wanna know more bout em
Anon: Oh god, Akechi lol

Seriously!? The Phantom Thieves are amazing!
Isn’t it so cool how they steal people’s hearts?
How do they make them repent?
I’m really curious… Who are they?

Anon: They’re surely in the right.
Anon: YES! take em down a notch
Anon: YES!!! fan club plz
Anon: think they got chicks?

Huh? It’s not right? ...Not cute? That was the one the staff recommended to me though… Won’t that printer do? Huh? It’ll do, but it’s not it? ...OK, I’ll be right over.

Sojiro hangs up the phone and sighs.

Lock up for me if I don’t come back.

Something like that… Sheesh, what a handful...

This case is said to be a result of the Phantom Thieves’ actions, but what do you think?

This dangerous group tampers with people’s hearts. It’s no different from brainwashing.
I see. You’re absolutely correct.

Who was it again? You know, that famous artist...
Ah, Madarame, was it?
They punished those awful people, didn’t they? The Phantom Thieves aren’t at fault then.
That may be true, but...
(to Maaku) Don’t you think so too, deary? The Phantom Thieves aren’t doing anything wrong, are they?

See? Even he says that they’re doing good. Oh my, look at the time. We should probably head home.
Ah, you’re right. Thanks for the drink.

But to think the Phantom Thieves would honestly attempt an absurd idea like social reform… ...You’re absolutely right. I’m not pleased about the general public’s support of them either. There’s also the danger of the Metaverse being exposed with their continued actions…

…………..WHAT!? These chucklefucks know about the Metaverse?

...Actually, there is one countermeasure he brought in that seems usable. It involves having the Phantom Thieves destroy themselves without our direct intervention...

...Ah I thought as much. I had a feeling that it was too brutal for it to be his own idea. Still, to think you’d go through such elaborate detail to crush them… Their actions must be that much of an eyesore for you. I sympathize with what you’re going through. Well then, we’ll clean this up quickly and put it behind us. Yes. A grand undertaking like social reform is beyond a group such as the Phantom Thieves. Only a few people are entitled to change the world… like you, “future” Prime Minister. *sinister chuckling*

Uh-oh. Looks like this goes way bigger than we possibly could have imagined...

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Pfft! Don’t be such an rear end! I bet you’re at home, right? We’re gonna come over right now about the you-know-what. Seeya!

I don’t know what, for the record.

Music: Alright

That’s not why we’re here! We need to study for finals!
*sigh* Why am I here too…?
You’re one of us now, so of course you gotta help us. We’re in trouble if you don’t teach us, you know?

Ohoho, oh, I’ll hold you to that! Wanna see who gets the higher test scores?
Let’s leave those guys be...
*sigh* I couldn’t ask the last time I was here… But what is this place? The storekeeper doesn’t seem to be around...

He’s got complicated circumstances… We can tell her about it, right? Actually, tell her yourself.

Ann, Yusuke, and me are pretty much the same too. I mean, it’s not as bad as this guy’s though. There’s just something we can’t ever put up with. That’s why we all became Phantom Thieves.
Hey, don’t forget me.
I know, I know. We’re all part of the team. By the way, Makoto, ain’t there someone you can’t forgive either? Like, a heart you wanna change?
...That’s a secret.
Ooh, there’s someone like that? You could just tell us, you know. You don’t gotta be so cold.
That aside, do you have any intention of studying for the exam?
Not really…
It’s fine if I leave then?
N-No, I’m just joking! Please teach us...

I think it’s a fear of open spaces. You don’t hear it that often, though.

Leave vocabulary and long sentences to me. I suck at proper grammar, though...
Even if we study English, it’s not like I’m gonna use it in the future.
When it comes to you, your Japanese is questionable too.
Aw shuddup!
Explain the writer’s feelings…? What point is there in that?

...Why don’t we take a break?

This case is said to be the result of the Phantom Thieves’ actions, but in actuality, is this true?

The question is what the Phantom Thieves actually did. If they tampered with a suspect’s heart, it casts doubt on the authenticity of any confession.
So then, by tampering with hearts, the Phantom Thieves are fabricating crimes that may not exist?
We can’t deny the possibility. There’s no doubt that the Phantom Thieves are exposing hidden injustices in society. However, if this is done by sidestepping the law, their way of thinking is very dangerous.
So in a way, they’re outlaws.
Yes. They’re no different than the criminals they target. This cannot be overlooked.
I see.

Music: Break it Down

Just let them say whatever they want. More people are starting to understand that what we’re doing is right, after all.
When I’m walkin’ around in town, I hear a lot more people talkin’ about us too. And the forum’s been full of hype! Do you think we made it big time?
Don’t get pompous over dealing with some street thug. Save it for after we deal with a bigger target.
We just gotta take down a bigger one, yeah? That was the plan from the start, anyways!
True, it may be best if we start thinking about it.
I bet we’ll find one in no time. The wind’s blowin’ in our direction and everything! I feel like we won’t lose to anything right now.
Well, we’ll decide on that eventually. We need to overcome our exams first. Now then, break time’s over! Let’s get back to--
That reminds me—the celebration party. Weren’t we gonna do it after exams?
Yes, I believe so.
Where should we go? I feel like I’ll study better if I got something to look forward to.
The last one was a buffet at a hotel. We haven’t gone anywhere since.

...Hm!? A buffet!?

Oh, Yusuke’s here. I didn’t notice him because he’s been completely silent for the entire scene, popping up only for his requisite “starving artist” gag.

Where would be good…?

Hey, what about fireworks!? A fireworks festival!
Oh yeah, it’s that season, huh!
That sounds good to me.
It’s hard to ignore a buffet, but I’ll take the beauties of summer. Still, I demand that we feast during the festival as well.
Do you guys own a yukata? Will you wear a yukata!?
Doesn’t a fireworks festival sound good? You think so too, right?

All right, fireworks festival, it is! Let’s look for a good one!
Study comes first, though. I won’t let you off if you fail any of them. Are we clear?
Y-Yes, ma’am...

Somewhere else, someone is listening to our conversation...

Study comes first, though. I won’t let you off if you fail any of them. Are we clear?
Y-Yes, ma’am...

The girl chuckles.

Music: Beneath the Mask

Yeah, it seems like she’ll do something real bad someday, right? And, it gets even worse. As it turns out, she’s a Shujin student. You know a girl named Yumeko Mogami? She’s always up near the classrooms on the second floor… Please, you have to do something before things get worse!
Heheh! This is a good opportunity for us! Kaneshiro’s change of heart has probably opened up some deeper parts of Mementos. Let’s make some time and talk about it at the hideout.

Just before his arrest, “calling cards” with the suspect’s name were posted all over the area. Pictures of these were spread on the internet. Some claim these are proof the “Phantom Thieves” exist.
Putting calling cards up all over town was really effective. Getting famous might keep us pretty busy.

Are they just choosing bad people to steal hearts from?
Maybe someone’s asking them to do it.
Oh yeah, don’t they have a forum or something?
What if you make a request on there and they follow through?

Anon: jokes on the cops! rofl
Anon: i wanna know more bout em

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 25, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 66.5: 7/11: Thanks Radium

And here's the rest of the update.

Anon: omg they got the mafia lol

…I didn’t expect the Phantom Thieves would suppress a man that even the police had trouble with. The fact they have so much support online is worrisome. I’m in a bind since I previously denounced them. All the interviews these days ask me about that. ...Still, can we really say the Phantom Thieves are on the side of justice with just this example?

Haha, thank you. But… I notice that you’re not saying that the Phantom Thieves are right. ...I suppose that was an unfair way to phrase it. I was originally investigating the mental shutdown incidents. ...Don’t you think it’s similar to the change of heart that the Phantom Thieves are doing? …… Now that I think about it, their actions mirror the mental shutdown cases, with the rate of victims. It’s impossible not to see a connection there… ...Ah, sorry. I don’t want to make you late. I’ll see you again.

My god, this dude can talk your ear off.

“Shibuya Crime Ring Reveals All!” The leader’s confession has led to the arrest of other key members. “Sudden Rampage? Highway Accident!” The driver’s death has been confirmed, taking the total count up to four. “Hotspots of Tokyo!” Come see the summer fireworks show on July 18th!
Thanks to Kaneshiro spilling the beans, that organization is falling like a house of cards. Hehehe… We’re getting more and more famous!

Music: So Boring

In this internet society, every silly little thing gets its five minutes of fame. But just like a fleeting firework, they are destined to be forgotten once summer ends. Now that I think about it, there’s an organism that has its own short-lived glimmer. That’s right—fireflies. They’re probably something akin to magic creatures to you city kids. Hamiru-kun. You haven’t been completely tainted by city life yet, so here’s a question. What is the name of the light-producing substance in fireflies?

I picked the one with “Lucifer” in the name.

Correct. When luciferin combines with oxygen, it undergoes oxidation and emits light. A firefly cannot cry, so it burns its body… or so they say. Their light is actually a chemical reaction called a cold light—it doesn’t produce heat like fire.

Uhh, the second law of thermodynamics would like a word with you.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

We ranked up in Knowledge just in time for finals!

Now that I think about it, there’s a fireworks show next week. It may not be a bad idea to go see them. However, don’t become so blinded by the far-off lights that you can’t see the exams in front of you.
I wanna go relax somewhere after exams end!

Finals end on the 16th, so that should be good, right?
What are you talking about?

I’ll do that tomorrow.
Hey, we’re in the middle of class. Talk about those things later.
Yeah, yeah.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

It looks like they saved me again. I guess I’ll become a fan of the Phantom Thieves, after all.
I hope Akechi-kun isn’t too shocked from all the backlash he’s been getting online… I’ll still believe in Akechi-kun, though! I mean, he’s so handsome! Like, ridiculously handsome!

I suppose I’ll ask you this too, just in case. Who do you think will be their next target?

Well, if they want a bigger target, maybe the government? That’d be really interesting. I have no idea what they’ll do next. I’m a bit excited, but it’s also kind of scary.

I see… So rather than acting right away, they’re carefully observing society for now? It might also be that the criminals have been scared into hiding by the Phantom Thieves.

She says she knit her boyfriend a scarf, which made him super happy. Maybe that’s you, Ikesugi-kun?
Ah, stop it… That scarf freaked me out, so I threw it away. That’s only a coincidence.
Maybe you should ask that genius detective Akechi-kun to get to the bottom of this? Juuust kidding.

Oh, wait… When I marry him, I’ll be Yumeko Ikesugi… *giggle* I’ll post online about anyone who gets in my way. And they’ll bleed! It’ll be a blood storm!

Well, we found our target.

People are all about them right now. I totally voted “YES” in that online poll!
Yeah, I think Akechi-kun might’ve jumped the gun a little by saying they’re dangerous.
They should team up and take out Tokyo’s trash together!

Heroes like them must get all the girls. Maybe I’ll quit basketball to join the Phantom Thieves.
The Phantom Thieves are just a fad! You’re not seriously thinking of quitting your team, are you!?
I just don’t think it’s gonna work out. There aren’t many talented people I can get to join our team.

Be careful not to spread weird rumors. Students should concentrate on studying, anyway.
Oh, crap! It’s almost finals! I don’t want to fail and have to take remedial classes. I wonder if the Phantom Thieves can steal test questions. Hahaha! Nah, that’d be impossible!

Heh… Who could have known that Kaneshiro had that up his sleeve…? I can hear the people’s cries for a hero to fight evil… But for now, let me rest a bit… Heh.

Yeah, I’m not doing too shabby. People really fall for these “too-good-to-be-true” stories. Just butter ‘em up a little, and it’s a cinch. There are so many gullible people everywhere!

It’s up to you to protect what’s really important. You can’t take risks in these dangerous times. But what can you do to protect yourself? Don’t worry—our security systems are the answer! Please contact our company for installation services!

What are the police doing, letting those fishy Phantom Thieves steal their thunder!?
He was still arrested in the very end. It all worked out, didn’t it?
Come on… Can you really trust someone who hides their face like that!?

Hmm… I’m not sure. It seems like they only fight the bad guys.
Woof! Woof!
Kotaro says he likes them!
Oh, really? They must be good guys then.

There’s been a running subplot with this kid and her sick dog that I’ve been skipping because it’s both not terribly relevant and also because it’s pretty depressing.

*grunt* This too is thanks to the power of the Sun God and his blessing of the Phantom Thieves.
Um, I don’t mean to dispute you, Sun God, but I thought your power was weak during the rainy season?
Th-The power of the Sun God cuts through the darkness! Heal your battle wounds, my apostles...

I see. No comment then, hm? He is so pessimistic about the country’s future that he sees no point in sharing his opinion! And that concludes our on-the-spot coverage.

I’m the romantic phantom thief, here to steal your heart… The Love Thief of Pounding Hearts!
Love Thief… of Pounding Hearts…? Isn’t that a bit corny?
Idiot, that’s the point! Just give it a try!

I completely support the Phantom Thieves now. Hopefully they bring more bad apples to justice!
I can only imagine what the police are doing. They haven’t seemed very reliable.
I agree. Although I’m sure they’re reevaluating how they handle crime prevention.

Everyone runs away as soon as they see my face, but I’m not really sure why… Hey, can I ask you something? Do you think it’s possible that someone’s personality could change overnight…? No, sorry. Never mind...

Don’t trust the cops. The real calling card was posted online!
I guess it doesn’t really matter who did it, as long as they’re getting rid of the bad guys.
You’re so nonchalant, as usual...

He’s been talking about Egypt and stuff… But is he really working on deals with people overseas?
Is it because of Medjed? That thing on the internet, right?
Yeah, that! He was getting frustrated about being stuck at work since he can’t take his computer home anymore.

Well, we’ve got five requests on deck, so next time we’re gonna go take care of them. Mementos update! gently caress!

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 25, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is it too late to boot Mishima and have Tora run our website instead?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Regrettably, it doesn't look like our Tora knows as much about coding as he does about speechifying... more's the pity.

But a large update today, to finish up the Kaneshiro saga, and to set up new bumps in the road, including a burgeoning conspiracy, finals approaching, and a more compenent spy than Makoto getting into our business... as well as to chec in on our old friends Starry eyed hid, Rockjer, Lush, and Foreign Barker. Full plate today, and full plate when we go to Mementos and knock out... what is your quest count, Arist? 10? 12?

And of course, we have our new Confidant, the prosecutor and awful person Sae. I was kinda amused when we got some folks wondering if she is a sympathetic figure because she's interviewing us now, and hopefully we have an answer: nope. She might have moments approaching clarity regarding the upholding of law, but her clear ambition and outbursts toward Makoto (which as this thread has already identified, leap past outbursts due to stress and right into emotional abuse) is firmly in the "lovely adult" camp and even Makoto can see it:

Arist posted:

Promotion… You’ve changed, Sis. But… I’ll be OK. ...I finally found a place where I belong.

Pictured: TFW you realize that the guardian who fed and raised you is not stressed or going through a rough patch, but is genuinely kind of a terrible person... Poor girl. :smith:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You were then arrested and interrogated about your activities as a Phantom Thief. WHO WAS THE PERSON WHO INTERROGATED YOU?! TELL ME, NASTY CRIMEBOY!

idloveaspud
Apr 30, 2013
Another Sunday where you can't get a disgusting juice! :argh:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is it too late to boot Mishima and have Tora run our website instead?

Tora rocks at pretty much everything.

As does Foreign Barker. Can we recruit Foreign Barker to be buddies forever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

resurgam40 posted:

And of course, we have our new Confidant, the prosecutor and awful person Sae. I was kinda amused when we got some folks wondering if she is a sympathetic figure because she's interviewing us now, and hopefully we have an answer: nope. She might have moments approaching clarity regarding the upholding of law, but her clear ambition and outbursts toward Makoto (which as this thread has already identified, leap past outbursts due to stress and right into emotional abuse) is firmly in the "lovely adult" camp
It's between her "EATING AWAY AT MY LIFE" rant and something she does during this arc that really makes me wonder if the writers realized how strained the player's sympathy for her would get.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I can never take the Medjed card seriously because it uses the same font as Spongebob.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Wait, did Kaneshiro's confession just... happen off-screen?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Given the timing when you first get the Judgement confidant (right after Sae freaks out over the realization that her own sister really was involved in this whole mess) I always figured it was a sign that Sae really does care for Makoto deep down but it's buried so deep under all her other issues that she barely ever shows that side of her anymore.

megane posted:

Yep! :v:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

megane posted:

Yes.

Also you can't get judgement bonus until you finally reach the interrogation point.

I've tried. You don't get it. She shows up in your SL though, but the bonus is absent.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So can we discuss our team's choice of casual summer wear? In general I dig pretty much all of them, Maaku's in particular, with the sole exception of Yusuke. Because holy crap, that shirt is hideous.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

megane posted:

Yeah, it's kind of weird but I guess it's some mix of there being a whole lot of other plot after his deadline, and that after turning himself in the police he can't exactly go onto the news to talk to the public about how terrible of a person he was/is?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Kaneshiro's entire arc seems to be just filler.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I thought Akechi had a much more twisted face/reaction when he finds out that the phantom thieves got Kaneshiro.

Kay Kessler posted:

Kaneshrio's arc is more about resolving everything around Makoto then it is about him.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Looking at the studying session at the cafe, I find it interesting that Yusuke is still the only party member to not go to Shujin. I'm surprised that his arc didn't have some silly convoluted "new transfer student" part tacked onto the end of his arc where Yusuke starts attending Shujin like the rest of the party.

Also, clearly Sae is angry at us not because her sister is involved, but because her sister got a sweet-rear end motorcycle as her Persona and Sae is naturally very jealous that she doesn't get a cool ride. Seriously, I'm bummed out we never got to see an on-screen reaction to Maaku explaining to Sae how Makoto's Awakening went down. Like, just the sheer ridiculousness of describing Johanna's design should have made Sae go "Wait, WHAT?" right away.

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Arist posted:

Huh? It's not right? ...Not cute? That was the one the staff recommended to me though… Won't that printer do? Huh? It'll do, but it's not it? ...OK, I'll be right over.

Is Sojiro secretly Printer Goon?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Who is this mysterious eavesdropper who is definitely not on the box art in any way??

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Tarezax posted:

Who is this mysterious eavesdropper who is definitely not on the box art in any way??

Or in the intro video, nor heavily featured pre-release.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

It's between her "EATING AWAY AT MY LIFE" rant and something she does during this arc that really makes me wonder if the writers realized how strained the player's sympathy for her would get.

Her complaint about missing her chance for a promotion would be more understandable if she hadn't graduated law school like 4 years ago too. Apparently lawyers in Persona 5 run on the same rules as Phoenix Wright. You're either a teen prodigy or you're completely incompetent.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how everyone can agree on a collective term for the mysterious space we're all operating in. Keeps the confusion down.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, clearly Sae is angry at us not because her sister is involved, but because her sister got a sweet-rear end motorcycle as her Persona and Sae is naturally very jealous that she doesn't get a cool ride. Seriously, I'm bummed out we never got to see an on-screen reaction to Maaku explaining to Sae how Makoto's Awakening went down. Like, just the sheer ridiculousness of describing Johanna's design should have made Sae go "Wait, WHAT?" right away.

Makoto did mention that she actually has a motorcycle license. Which, honestly, just raises more questions.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kay Kessler posted:

I think this is an issue with the game failing to integrate everything into an overarching goal. It's very much deliberate.

By this point in Persona 3, you were well into the whole thing with Tartarus and the Arcana bosses, and in Persona 4, you were trying hard to uncover the mystery of whatever the gently caress is going on with the midnight channel, saving the victims. Here, while there's definitely a plot, the specifics of the arcs aren't really centered around it: #millenials jumped into Madarame's entire deal because they got curious, Yusuke tried sexually exploiting Ann, and Madarame wanted them hit for trespassing, and Kaneshiro's because Makoto tried to be a hero, which got everyone blackmailed.

There's no real overriding goal for the party right now beyond "let's save people and be heroes!", and I think the choice to not have one does more harm than good.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I think it's meant to emulate or invoke a picaresque, which often are loosely related vignettes by a roguish character who interacts with a corrupt society (sound familiar?). Think of Candide or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which don't have a real overarching plot -- things just sort of happen. I haven't played the game so I'm withholding judgment as to whether this is a sound choice, but it's not without literary antecedents.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

kw0134 posted:

I think it's meant to emulate or invoke a picaresque, which often are loosely related vignettes by a roguish character who interacts with a corrupt society (sound familiar?). Think of Candide or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which don't have a real overarching plot -- things just sort of happen. I haven't played the game so I'm withholding judgment as to whether this is a sound choice, but it's not without literary antecedents.

I’d say that it’s not quite like Candide (where half the point was Voltaire satirizing Leibniz, Pope, and Rousseau through everything he could, from the plot, to character naming [the guy named for Rousseau is very nice, then dies, for instance, presumably mocking Rousseau’s lack of explicit solutions to his abstracted criticism of society], to dialogue, to settings, to...), but Huck Finn is a fair analogy, sure, even if Twain is much better at it than the people who wrote this game.

The game definitely does have a main plotline, however; it just doesn’t do a great job at introducing it.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 29, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't have the benefit of hindsight but as someone just following along I think it's doing all right. The over-arching plot is kind of a lurking background threat the becomes clearer with each palace hit. The main issue I have is that the goal of "becoming famous and respected" has slipped into the main characters' agenda of "use powers for good" and I didn't notice how it got there or why. Maybe I just forgot a bunch of really obvious stuff. :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Holy crap Sae is a moron.
As a gamer, I kinda understand the irritation at the killsteal, but loving hell you're complaining about missing a single promotion* when with Kaneshiro turned witness you can start an investigation on his Mafia that will give you all the promotions** because you dismantled a criminal organization? Seriously?

*in at least two years time if and when you finally manage to catch the slippery eel
**on roughly the same timeframe as catching Kaneshiro on your own

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Not if she's not allowed anywhere near the cases, which seems to be the other problem. Her ability to earn promotions is being controlled by other people's opinions, not her own merits.

Honestly I think the way the story has gone so far actually works really well, they're teenagers looking for a goal, rebels looking for a cause. Of course they'll latch onto each case as they appear, they don't realize there is something more than the next target right now because that's how teenagers think.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

GeneX posted:

I’d say that it’s not quite like Candide (where half the point was Voltaire satirizing Leibniz, Pope, and Rousseau through everything he could, from the plot, to character naming [the guy named for Rousseau is very nice, then dies, for instance, presumably mocking Rousseau’s lack of explicit solutions to his abstracted criticism of society], to dialogue, to settings, to...), but Huck Finn is a fair analogy, sure, even if Twain is much better at it than the people who wrote this game.

The game definitely does have a main plotline, however; it just doesn’t do a great job at introducing it.
The idea is that the lack of a plot isn't out of the ordinary for these sort of stories, which is more like a long-running sitcom than a tightly scripted epic arc that obviously and continuously builds towards some sort of climax. When Candide starts out in Westphalia, his plans are to marry outside his station and have a simple and happy life. By the end he's been to multiple continents, barely escaped with his life a dozen times, shows up the local aristocracy/authorities (even if by accident) and has met a ridiculous cross section of contemporary society before settling on a tiny plot of land somewhere near the Bosporus. There's no indication of where the story's going, only that ridiculous things keep happening to the cast, whether they had intended to or not.

No one's going to claim the writers of P5 are successors to Voltaire or Mark Twain, but the influence is there, I believe.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Okay, now I really hope the writers didn't want us to have any sympathy for Sae, because loving christ, I mean, you could say she's just overly cynical, but you'd think a decent person would be happy a scumbag is going to jail, even if they are cynical. I'm gonna roll with "the writers probably don't want us to have sympathy for Sae, and if they do, that was really dumb".

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If Phoenix Wright demonstrates anything, it's that the key to prosecutors getting promotions is to straight up bring weapons to court with which to threaten witnesses and defense attorneys.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I think people need to remember several things about Sae:

1. She is a woman in an extremely patriarchal society, so she already needs to be five times as good as the men around her to get and keep her job
2. She is a woman in a job where women are basically unheard of, which tends to make the men in her job feel extremely fragile and search for ways to :airquote: legitimately :airquote: get rid of her
3. She is in a job where her ability to take better cases and prove her worth is limited by her ability to solve the cases already in front of her, and in the eyes of her bosses (who already don't like her and would love to see her fail) she basically just faceplanted
4. She is in a job where if you aren't getting promoted, you're getting fired
5. She has a dependent going through an extremely stressful and important part of her life which she does not want to disrupt, and she lives in a society where she cannot simply "get another job" if she loses hers

Now, does that justify going off on Makoto like she has? I don't think so, but anyone looking at Sae and thinking "ugh she just wants a promotion, why doesn't she just wait for another chance :rolleyes:" does not appreciate the situation that she is in.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tarezax posted:

Probably no one important.

On an unrelated note, I only just noticed that the first post has all of the future party members' titles in the filenames of their images.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Now, does that justify going off on Makoto like she has? I don't think so, but anyone looking at Sae and thinking "ugh she just wants a promotion, why doesn't she just wait for another chance :rolleyes:" does not appreciate the situation that she is in.

Except that my point was that with Kaneshiro turned witness she now has an even better opportunity for promotion than what she had before our intervention. If she doesn't recognize it she's an idiot and if her boss stole her investigation (and slam dunk promotion opportunity) to give it to his father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate that's not our fault.

Keep in mind that I like Sae, but in retrospect this particular rant feels complaining about #Millennials for the sake of complaining, which makes it surprisingly appropriate (god both that name and Maaku are the gifts that keep on giving)

E: I'm mostly ignoring the flashforwards when establishing a social link because I feel the writers didn't really think those properly.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
There's very much the theme of dramatic irony of the cast stumbling into a power they don't quite understand and focusing on short-term objectives while lacking an overall goal or image, while we know that there is an overarching conspiracy or establishment lurking behind it. This arc/update pretty much confirmed other people know about the metaverse and use it for their own ends, and they're probably not a bunch of teenagers loving around.