Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm blind on pretty much all of this game, barring a few late game plot twists that I heard about from people. I haven't alluded to those at all, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm running into this completely blind, having avoided discussions about this game or searching for anything Persona-related in Youtube. It's been a fun ride so far, barring some weird parts in some of the writing, and it's been nice to be able to comment and speculate about stuff in this thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've only got suspicions. Like that Akechi is either going to join us or be a Confidant later. He has a unique portrait and everything so he has to end up being more relevant than a hello after we get off the train sooner or later!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Akechi is already a Confidant. We formed ot when we went to the TV station, he's Justice.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So Futaba is Boss's Hikikomori daughter that's a hacker that asked us to steal her heart to help her or something?

I never played the game and I think that is exactly what this is. Also something about psychosis somehow. I bet that's also the girl that has been spying on us. That's my assumptions at least.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what do #Millennials need to go after someone anyway? Their name, their crime, and either they're in Mementos or we also have to know where their dungeon is and what it looks like?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

So what do #Millennials need to go after someone anyway? Their name, their crime, and either they're in Mementos or we also have to know where their dungeon is and what it looks like?

Their full name, and the keywords of their palace.

Basically we need to know what their palace is.

Kamoshida had the school, Madarame had his shack, and Kaneshiro had all of Shibuya.

As you can see, this makes stealing Futaba Sakura's heart difficult because we don't know who she is, don't know what she thinks her palace is, or if she even has a palace.

We also need to get in pseudo contact with them, via calling cards so they know that the heart is a thing that can be stolen.

Can't just randomly steal hearts.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 18, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glazius posted:

The target's name, a location with which they identify, and the distortion warping that location in their own mind. Kamoshida-School-Castle, Madarame-Atelier-Museum, Kaneshiro-Shibuya-Bank, etc.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Also being able to actually access the location.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
But that's for Palaces. If the target is in Mementos (i.e not quite twisted enough for a Palace of their own), all you need is the name and then to find them.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

resurgam40 posted:

But that's for Palaces. If the target is in Mementos (i.e not quite twisted enough for a Palace of their own), all you need is the name and then to find them.

But we also need to identify if the target is in mementos.

So basically we check if they have a palace and if they don't they're in mementos.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

How come Kamoshida's Palace had four keywords (Kamoshida/School/Castle/Pervert) but the others have had three?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ajkalan posted:

How come Kamoshida's Palace had four keywords (Kamoshida/School/Castle/Pervert) but the others have had three?

Navigation to the Metaverse is done through Igor's app. Multiple keywords would work, but after Kamoshida the party more or less knows what they're doing and there's no point in searching for other keywords once a path has been found.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

Akechi is already a Confidant. We formed ot when we went to the TV station, he's Justice.

They can't accuse you of spoiling things, if you forget plot points that've already happened.

And so far, that's all I've got.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Blademaster_Aio posted:

As you can see, this makes stealing Futaba Sakura's heart difficult because we don't know who she is, don't know what she thinks her palace is, or if she even has a palace.

This kind of surprised me - no one even brought up the idea that Futaba might not even have a palace, despite Ali Baba not telling them what, if anything, she had done wrong. I got the impression palaces were reserved for the worst of the worst who had really let their temptations run away with them, so for everyone to just assume this random girl would have one without questioning it felt a little odd.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
The crew might assume Alibaba knows more than he lets on, or might assume "he probably means we gotta find her in mementos"

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I would have expected Yusuke or Makoto to ping the name "Futaba Sakura" just to check for palace. Or they did it off-screen :shrug:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

GuyUpNorth posted:

I would have expected Yusuke or Makoto to ping the name "Futaba Sakura" just to check for palace. Or they did it off-screen :shrug:

I imagine that Futaba Sakura is a common enough name (or at least isn't as famous a name as all the others who #Millennials have tackled) that you might need to get a bit more specific when querying the name to check if they have a Palace.

Dunno if that holds with checking if they're in Momentos though, the targets there aren't much more famous.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think they also have to be standing near-ish to where the palace is for it to pop up, so they'd have to know at least like... what street to stand on.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

megane posted:

I think they also have to be standing near-ish to where the palace is for it to pop up, so they'd have to know at least like... what street to stand on.

Well, if she is Sojiro's hikikomori daughter like it's been all but shown, and those by definition never leave the house, that would probably narrow it down. Still, without the third keyword, they're still SoL.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So assuming the group did the smart thing and said, "gently caress it, we need to keep investigating!", what would be their next move? They don't know who the members of Medjed are or where they live, Alibaba backed out from the deal and they can't contact him, and they don't know where Futaba Sakura is.

The only thing I can think of is they could maybe try following Sojiro around when he goes to give some of the food he bought to Futaba. But aside from knowing where she lives now, I'm not really sure how it would help with the rest of this case.

I guess it just bothers me a little that so far the team is forced to wait until these threats from people that they have no way of tracking finally decide to kick them in the rear end.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Well, they can infer there's a connection between Sojiro and Futaba Sakura, considering his evasiveness on the issue. So the logical next move would be to ruin Sojiro's privacy until they find out who the girl is and why somebody would want to change her heart.

As we've seen with Yusuke and Madarame, the cast isn't above breaking and entering or persistently harassing people to find what they are looking for, even on a hunch.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Maaku went to Sojiro's house before going to Le Blanc at the beginning of the game. He knows where Sojiro lives, so I assume that's a good place to start.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 72: 7/24: The Ridiculously Depressing One

Music: Disquiet

The Phantom Thieves made a mockery of us when they brought down Kaneshiro… And to make matters worse, Medjed, who has been dormant for some time now, just declared war on them. How much more can they screw us over?
Stress is bad for the skin, you know.
Did you come all this way simply to be sarcastic?
How about you listen to my deductions for a change of pace? You may think it absurd… But don’t you think the case you’re pursuing and the actions of the Phantom Thieves overlap somehow?
What are you basing this off of?
The one point of commonality across all cases is how those involved have an unforeseen change of heart.
I’ve suspected that myself, but those suspicions are unfounded.
I told you at the beginning that this was only a deduction. These “just” Phantom Thieves are riling up the public. However, that is a disguise. Their true goal is terrorist action by way of psychotic breakdowns… Is that too much?
There’s nothing at the moment that falsifies that claim. Have you mentioned this to the police?
I’d never tell them such things. The only value they have to me is in their mobility and organizational capabilities.
Hm, it seems having you lend a hand has paid off.
I’m glad to hear that. What about your case, Sae-san? Did you learn anything from the guardian of that mental shutdown victim’s daughter?
Nothing at all.
I see. Now, what should my next action be for our victory?
Handle the Phantom Thieves. Without remorse. Use any means necessary to win. That’s how I would deal with them.
*chuckle* Very well.
This seems to be fun for you. Are you on to something?
No, not at all. Well then, to our victory.

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

This place is in Ginza, right? Do we take the usual train from Shibuya?

Music: Alright

I-I don’t see any prices listed here...
It’s called market price. Don’t worry ‘bout it; we got the cash!
Sooo gooooood…

Hold your horses. And don’t talk!
By the way, Maaku-kun… Is Boss really the kind of person who would abuse someone?
That again?
I can’t get it off my mind. Especially if it means he could be taken to court… What kind of person is he? Do you truly believe he’d do such a thing?

Gonna keep sticking up for the old man. No way, Makoto.

Hm...
If it’s really true about the abuse, he’d be a no-good jerk pretendin’ to be a guardian.
Maybe the chief is the one who needs a change of heart…
Hold on a sec! About that… I actually got curious after our conversation… and checked his name in the Nav.
Sounds to me like there wasn’t a hit.
Right. Anything beyond this is his family’s problem. We probably shouldn’t get any more involved.

Wait… You think Alibaba could be Boss’ ex-wife!?

What?

He musta cheated on her, and that’s where Futaba came from.
Doubtful.
Your imagination has run rampant.
How foolish.

GODDAMMIT RYUJI

U-Ummm…. Ph-Phan… Fantastic! This sushi is delicious!
Y-Yeah! The fish is so fresh!
Hmph. Everywhere we go, we hear about these Phantom Thieves.
What rubbish.

Sorry, it just kinda slipped…

My foot is gonna slip straight up your rear end if you do that again.

My apologies for bringing up Boss again. We should just enjoy the food.

Music: Wicked Plan

Akechi-kun...
Akechi…?

Do you know this guy?
It’s nice to meet you. My name is Akechi. Glad to make your acquaintance, Yusuke Kitagawa.

How do you know my name?
Well, because I’m a psychic, of course. Haha, I’m only joking. In truth, I’m a rookie detective. You’re a former pupil of Madarame, right? I have actually just recently joined the investigation team looking into the Phantom Thieves.

How nice of you to share this with us, totally random teenagers.

Did you see that Medjed has declared war on them?

Wait, what?

War…?
Their website was updated just a moment ago.

For real!?

Wait, what…!?
What’s it say!?
Hm? Why do you seem so agitated?
Oh, um...
She’s, uh… a huge fan of the Phantom Thieves. A total nutjob for ‘em.
Hm, I don’t know how wise it is to be a fan of groups like them.

How about you mind your own business?

What is with these comments?
My apologies. I didn’t mean to butt into your conversation. But I must say, this is an interesting group. Prosecutor Niijima’s sister, an ex-pupil of Madarame. And a few Shujin Academy students… It seems you’re all connected to the Phantom Thieves. Perhaps you have better intel than I do.

I wonder what you could possibly be getting at.

Ah, yes. I wanted to ask you something.

What a stupid question.

Unsurprising. I suppose you aren’t interested in such gossip.
Sorry to disappoint, but we’re just normal high school kids. If anything, we wanna hear what you gotta say, Mr. Detective.
...My profiling of the Phantom Thieves has led me to believe they are a group of juveniles. They have a relative amount of free time after school, and a hideout to slip away to. Furthermore, considering Kamoshida was their first target, it seems they began activity around April. In a way, all I’ve just said about the Phantom Thieves coincides with the group you have here.

Huh. Weird!

What, you gonna report us?

Ryuji, with the brilliant “just loving admit it” tactic. He’ll never see it coming.

I didn’t say I was being suspicious of you.

Sorry man, gotta throw you under the bus for the good of the team. And also because it’s funny.

I wasn’t anticipating that response. You always find a way to rise above my expectations. You really are an intriguing one. I lack your calm mannerisms… but don’t you think my deduction is an interesting one?

This winking cut-in is the best one in the whole game.

What!? The hell’re you sayin’!?

…Is he hitting on me? I mean, I’m flattered, but this is kinda awkward considering the circumstances.

In return, I’ll teach you how to make deductions. I believe that is a fair trade-off for you.
It seems like Akechi is interested in me...

Okay, yeah, he’s definitely hitting on me.

Well, this has been a valuable point of reference for me. I hope to see you all again.

Do you think he’s ascertained our true identities?
Nah, couldn’t be. Right?

Why would you think that? We’re the worst at hiding it. We reestablished that literally one scene ago.

I’d like to say that it’s simply us overthinking this, but… it may be best to be cautious from now on. We shouldn’t forget that Alibaba was able to discover who we are.

Or that you were.

True, but it’s not as though he had tangible evidence to prove that discovery. Just keep acting normally.

Oh yeah! What’d they write!?

“We are disappointed in the people of Japan and their belief in the Phantom Thieves’ false justice. Hence, we shall proceed with our plan to cleanse Japan. This process will commence on August 21st. As a result, the Japanese economy shall suffer devastating damages.”
For real…?
Keep going.
“However, we are magnanimous. We will give the Phantom Thieves one final opportunity to repent. As proof of this repentance, we demand that they reveal their identities to the public. We will attack if these demands remain unmet. The future of Japan rests with the Phantom Thieves. We are Medjed. We are unseen. We will eliminate evil.” ...That’s what it says.
Sounds bad...
In other words, if we don’t unmask ourselves, Medjed will attack Japan… correct? It seems they are quite the attention seekers...
What are we gonna do about this…?
If only we could get in contact with Alibaba.
Our only clues… are Boss and Futaba. Anyways, it’s too drat hot out here. Why don’t we go to Leblanc? We can talk more over there.

Music: Suspicion

Looks like we got no choice but to ask for Alibaba’s help.
Question is, how do we get in touch with him?
He cut off all contact with us after that misunderstanding. Then again, if we manage to steal Futaba’s heart, he may attempt to reach out to us once more.
But we don’t have any clues on what her keywords are.
Dammit, Alibaba! Where the hell are you!?

Huh?

Hypothetically speaking, even if we stole Futaba’s heart… How would Alibaba know that the deed has been done? Would he truly be able to discern that just from cell phone messages?
You mean he’d have to meet her in person?
Alibaba was able to deliver the calling card here. On top of that, he can check on Futaba’s condition. However, according to the circumstances he put forth, he’s unable to meet with us. This leads me to believe that it would be bad for him if we were to see the two of them together. It seems to me...

So she’s asking that we steal her own heart…?
Maybe she wants us to save her from the scars of her abuse…? That would be hard to ask directly.

I know the gang doesn’t really know Sojiro, but I’m really not here for this constant assumption of terrible poo poo about him.

I’d like to meet with Boss… He lives nearby, right?

I agree. It’s real late though. What’re we gonna tell Boss when we get there?
We’ll say this take-out sushi is a gift for him.

No complaining.
Let’s all go together. Boss may get the wrong idea if Maaku-kun and I show up alone.

Or the entirely right idea? No? Okay.

But the lights are on...
Think he’s nappin’?
Even Boss would’ve woken up with how many times we’ve rung his doorbell.
I would think Futaba would have answered by now if she were here too.

Dude, you can’t go openin’ other people’s stuff like that.

I wonder why. That’s rather careless...

...Do you think that’s OK?
Prolly…?
My apologies, Boss!

The door ahead is open, and I can hear the TV.
I hope he didn’t pass out or something… I mean, Boss is kinda old, ain’t he?
I’m a bit worried. Should we go in and check on him?
Please excuse us...

Music: Desire

Suddenly, the lights go out.

A scream!? What was that!?
H-How should I know?

Did you hear that!?
Let’s just get out of here, please? Can we just go?
What’re you freakin’ out for?
I-I-I’m not freaking out!
Could it be Alibaba…? I mean, Futaba?

The group turns to leave.

*nods*

Hell yeah, you can.

Uh, that’s not… whatever.

I can sense someone’s presence...

A series of soft thuds can be heard, like a person descending steps.

Who is it…? Who’s there…!?

Makoto turns her head frantically in search.

I can’t take this anymore! I’m leaving!

N-No… My legs won’t move...

The figure runs upstairs.

Alibaba! Futaba! Hey! C’mon, where are you!? You’re a hacker, right? Just show yourself!
I’msorryI’msorryI’msorry! PleasesavemeSis...

Crap, he’s home!

Sojiro bursts through the doorway and notices us.

Who the hell are you!? Don’t move!

I’msorryI’msorryI’msosorrySis… Somebodypleasesaveme...

Music: Wicked Plan

Time for the wacky hijinks music!

You’re...
Oh… G-Good… evening, sir… We… didn’t mean… to intrude...
Niijima-san! Wait, are you two dating?

Well, it’s complicat--

Makoto shakes her head vigorously.

W-We’re j-just friends!

Jeez, way to break a guy’s spirit, Makoto.

Friends nowadays get that close to each other…?

Um, we brought you some sushi, but nobody answered when we rang the bell… The door was unlocked too. We could hear the TV though, so we got worried you might have passed out or something...
The door was unlocked?
Yes.
...I do that sometimes. Guess I’m getting old.
Um, excuse me. There’s something we’d like to ask.
Hm? You wanna ask me?

Yeah… My daughter.
Could she be Futaba Sakura…?
You told Niijima-san too!?
U-Um… is there any way we could meet with Futaba-san? I think we may have frightened her earlier, so we’d like to apologize if at all possible...
Well… that’s...
Is she sick…?
No, it’s not like that.

Sojiro waits a moment, then puts his head in his palm and sighs.

I don’t want you all getting the wrong idea… I shouldn’t have kept this a secret from you. Let’s talk at my shop. She’ll hear us if we stay here.

Music: Alleycat

Futaba’s mother and I knew each other long before Futaba was born. Her mother was a bit of a weird one, but we got along well for some reason… She was sharp-witted, somewhat stern, a little socially inept, but always carefree… She truly was a great woman.
I see…
When something piqued her interest, that’d be all she focused on. She always worked deep into the night. I thought that’d change after her kid was born, but having Futaba didn’t do much. Even with that, she always took good care of her.
Working and watching over a child at the same time sounds rough…
I guess raising Futaba alone turned out to be tough in more ways than one...

There wasn’t a father.
Do you mean...
Well, there probably was one. I didn’t know him though. She never said a word about him, either. She was single when she gave birth to Futaba, and single when she raised her. They were an ordinary, loving family. You could really tell how much she cared for Futaba. But one day, she left… leaving Futaba behind.

Yes. She committed suicide.

Suicide…!?
Threw herself into the street, right in front of Futaba’s eyes…

That’s loving hardcore, holy poo poo.

Shocking doesn’t begin to describe that…
That’s gotta be devastating for a kid.
So… Well, a lot happened after that, but I ended up taking custody of Futaba… First, she was so depressed she… she wouldn’t even talk to me.
Was that because she couldn’t get over her mother’s suicide…?
I kept talking to her though, and she started opening up to me little by little. That’s when I found out… Futaba blames herself for her mother’s death.
What…!? But why!?
That part she’s never told me. I wanted to know what led her to believing that, but I decided not to rub salt in the wound. Then, a few months ago… She started getting real scared, even when nothing was happening. She’d say things like, “I hear voices...” and, “Mom is looking at me...”
Visual and auditory hallucinations… Have you taken Futaba to a doctor?
I wanted to, but she refused. Even when I had a doctor come, she locked herself away in her room. Since then, she’s become what you’d call a shut-in. She won’t take a single step outside the house, or even try to see other people.

...Then how did she deliver that “calling card”?

What about you?
She doesn’t even let me come in her room.
That’s pretty harsh...
Futaba is, well, a unique girl. She’s so quick-minded that conversations with her tend to jump from one topic to the next… It seems like she’s always coming to conclusions in her head. There’s a lot I don’t get about her...
Hmm...
So yeah… her situation is why I couldn’t let you in my house.

What Futaba needs is a safe place where nobody will threaten her. Somewhere she can be at ease. That’s why I won’t do anything she doesn’t want. I don’t make her do anything she’s unwilling to either. Then again, I know that’s no way for her to live. It’s all I can do though...

I don’t know. She just asks me for things that she wants, like food or these complicated books… Well, that’s that. So can you just… leave her be?
*nods*
I’m gonna head back then. You all had better head home soon too.

Man, Sojiro… owns. Goddamn. Also this just makes it extra hilarious that Sae was trying to revoke his parental rights. Sae really sucks, huh?

No way in hell he’s abusin’ her.
The reason why Futaba wants her heart stolen must be related to what happened to her mother.
So she’d like to discard her feelings of pain, but can’t do anything about it herself.
Will changing her heart really help her though?
If we can help her, we may be able to stand up to Medjed.

I’m not so hot on the idea of helping a trauma victim just because we want something from them.

Hold on a sec. Do we even know if she has a Palace? Let’s check.

Candidate found.

What the…?
She’s got one...
So someone can have a Palace even if they’re not evil?

Well, we don’t know Futaba very well. She could easily turn out to be evil.

Hey, Morgana--

I haven’t seen him for some time.
So, ever since we went inside Boss’s house?
...Somewhere ‘round there. He’ll be fine though. He’s a cat, after all. The trains’re gonna be shuttin’ down for the night soon, so we should prolly be headin’ home.
We have to go to school in the morning, after all.
Ohhh, right. The urgent assembly.
An assembly? What about?
Shujin has been garnering a lot of attention ever since Medjed called out the Phantom Thieves. So, they need to remind us not to say arbitrary stuff online and add more fuel to the fire.
We’ve gotta meet up for every goddamn little thing. Talk about a pain in the rear end.
I mean, it is our fault.
Anyway, let’s contact each other afterward.

The reason why Futaba wants her heart stolen must be related to what happened to her mother.
So she’d like to discard her feelings of pain, but can’t do anything about it herself.
Will changing her heart really help her though?
If we can help her, we may be able to stand up to Medjed.
Hold on a sec. Do we even know if she has a Palace? Let’s check. “The Futaba Sakura that lives at Sojiro Sakura’s house.” Is that gonna be enough?
What the…?
She’s got one...
So someone can have a Palace even if they’re not evil?
Hey, Morgana--

Morgana scurries out from behind the chair.

Music: Beneath the Mask

drat, can’t even watch the news without the cat’s approval.

I take it the chief told you about Futaba, and then you guys disbanded in relief for now.

You can’t underestimate my intel-gathering skills, you know. I was checking out the chief’s house. I didn’t think our Alibaba would be so young...

She had long hair and a pretty young-sounding voice. Well… I say young, but I think she’s probably about the same age as you guys. At the very least, she’s no amateur. She completely overheard your conversation with the chief, and she can hack into our chats too. Even if she can’t take Medjed down directly, she might have some kind of lead on them.

In any case, we’ll need to rely on Futaba to get closer to Medjed. Let’s meet up again tomorrow. How about we do it in here? It’s way too hot outside… Anyway, make sure you let everyone know.

Music: Interrogation Room

Hold on. While Medjed was targeting you, you chose to deal with someone completely unrelated to them?

Then how was Medjed… ...What you’ve said about the Sakura family generally falls in line with our investigation. It appears you aren’t feeding us a false testimony.

Hmph, you have quite the wit… Very well, let’s continue. We’ve yet to determine how the Phantom Thieves dealt with Medjed, seeing as they are unseen. If you tell me something coherent, I may be a little more willing to believe you.
It seems Sae Niijima is starting to seriously listen to what I have to say…

Still, to think the Phantom Thieves would have their hideout in the home of Wakaba Isshiki’s daughter. What a coincidence… No, perhaps it’s fate… Regardless, we don’t have time to waste. Continue with your story.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 24, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

To be fair, he'd let it slip eventually. Probably after they steal the next heart and go out to dinner.

Arist posted:

Threw herself into the street, right in front of Futaba’s eyes…

:stare:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 20, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In regards of possible spoilers, is it okay to start making connections to early game scenes to what was revealed this update? As in why Sojiro was always ditching you early on in the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hunt11 posted:

In regards of possible spoilers, is it okay to start making connections to early game scenes to what was revealed this update? As in why Sojiro was always ditching you early on in the game.

From what I remember of those scenes from the story and his Confidant that's probably fine, most of the Futaba stuff there was super implicit and won't reveal much in the way of future events if at all.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

From what I remember of those scenes from the story and his Confidant that's probably fine, most of the Futaba stuff there was super implicit and won't reveal much in the way of future events if at all.

Just wanting to make sure after the mods dropped by. Anyway so almost everything about the way Sojiro acted at the start of the game in regards to you was due to Futaba. As in he wanted to do everything possible to protect her after some seriously hosed up poo poo.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Arist posted:

GODDAMMIT RYUJI

Oh, god it's happening again... urge to plant my fist in Ryuji's face... rising... Second goddamn time you've done this. These games like characters of this kind=- Junpei, Yosuke, and now our Ryuji- and each of them has approached a point of most punchability at some point of the game* and that time is very near for Ryuji, and it is a shame that actually having the opportunity to deal a crack upside the head to a deserving party has not really been implemented in these games. (Yosuke got punched true, but he asked for it first; not really the same.)

But yeah... Sojirou's story is really something, huh? The story of Futaba is actually a really well done serious moment, the first really good one since Shiho's suicide attempt, and it's kind of a testament to how well its pathos comes through, even whist book-ended by wacky shenanigans, is a testament to the games power. Another testament is the paradigm shift that has occurred regarding Soujirou's character: think back to when the MC first met him, how bitter, sardonic and dismissive he sounded of the MC and his entire situation- how he did not even invite you into his home after taking care of you, and the calls he made to someone female painted him as a philanderer. And now, at last, we have the reason for that enforced distance ( prompted by our groups flagrantly illegal activities, I might add), and the bitter, jaded disciplinarian we were introduced to is revealed as hard working, compassionate, understanding, and probably the most moral and upright characters in the entire game. It's actually a well-done character reveal, and I take my hat off to the writing for pulling it off. So now that we know the circumstances of Futaba and why she approached us herself, it would seem that our next quest is more akin to the dungeon raids in P4 than our previous adventures, where instead of descending into the heart of an unrepentant, unaware criminal, we're going into a place where someone asked and invited us to deal with trauma they can't handle. It's a lot more palatable that forcibly rehabilitating someone, and makes one wish there had been more experimentation with the formula than what was there.

But heck with all that, because Akechi's here, aw yeah.

Arist posted:

This winking cut-in is the best one in the whole game.

…Is he hitting on me? I mean, I’m flattered, but this is kinda awkward considering the circumstances.

Reason why Akechi is Best Boy 1: that dreamy smile that Arist has finally shown; doesn't it melt your heart? :allears: And his wink :swoon:

*with the exception of Yosuke, who stayed there for most of it... it might be more appropriate to say that he had moments of non-punchability among... everything else.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 20, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I don't like Akechi.

He's trying to pin psychotic breakdowns on the phantom thieves.

Jerk.

I don't hate him, per say. But he is so not our friend (of the phantom thieves, I mean).

And he's suspicious of us, isn't he.

Sojirou really is great.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

The calling card can actually be explained: it was delivered to Boss' house. All Futaba had to do was leave the package on the front door and Sojiro would take it to us. Judging by her room, Boss already gives Futaba just about anything she asks for, so material for the card and the envelope were probably easy. Putting the package out was probably the hard part.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't buy that, the game is clearly implying it's hand-delivered and Sojiro doesn't seem to know what it is. If he does, why wouldn't he question why Futaba has a letter for you?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The entire setup for this arc is kinda iffy, though I think it's probably the best one in the game. Like, the basic idea of "we're gonna wreck the economy if you don't do a thing" is liable to provoke a government investigation, not a bad-psychonauts intervention.

Also, the game is kinda blatant about Makoto being into you. Again.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Futaba's backstory is a goddamn trip that just gets more and more "Jesus Christ, what" as we learn the details.

Also, every time I see Pleasant Boy in that sweater vest I want the gang to drag him into a bathroom to give him a swirly.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
At this point, I'd vote for dating Akechi, and having his final rank being a reveal of him knowing you were a Phantom Thief for a while after revealing it to him. Because I'm a dork like that. Knowing this series though, I doubt that's an option.

I do agree that the game lays it a bit think about Makoto and our protag, but I also think it's a little cute. You're the first person/group to not demand she fit into the mold of being an honor student, and I doubt she has any close friends outside #Millenials to be honest. It's not something to base a relationship on, but I can understand why you'd get a crush on someone who's been an emotional support pillar for you.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Arist posted:

I don't buy that, the game is clearly implying it's hand-delivered and Sojiro doesn't seem to know what it is. If he does, why wouldn't he question why Futaba has a letter for you?

Why would he? She probably just shoved it in the mailbox after the mail was delivered.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Sientara posted:

Why would he? She probably just shoved it in the mailbox after the mail was delivered.

It wouldn't even be hard, either. He spends most of every day at Leblanc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I guess I'm assuming it gets delivered to Leblanc instead of his actual house because that's what happens when you order something off the TV (I assume, because Sojiro probably doesn't go home to get the mail during the day and it's already there when you get there). Assuming he doesn't go home to get his mail (and why would he when he can just do it when he leaves for the day), the letter would have to have been delivered to Leblanc, because otherwise why would he have it before he goes home on the same day Alibaba "prepared the necessary tool?"

But even still, if she can't leave the house how is she putting something in the mailbox?

Arist fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 20, 2017

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Arist posted:

I guess I'm assuming it gets delivered to Leblanc instead of his actual house because that's what happens when you order something off the TV (I assume, because Sojiro probably doesn't go home to get the mail during the day and it's already there when you get there).

But even still, if she can't leave the house how is she putting something in the mailbox?

She probably can at least step outside for her great plan.

And the packages arrive at Leblanc because either that's the address you give (or maybe Sojirou brings it to you).

And the thing is, it's possible she can leave the house because she did wire tap Leblanc.

She probably never does it when people are around and probably very, very rarely does it.

Maybe she's desperate to have someone change her heart, and took extreme measures for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It doesn't matter anyway, we're all overthinking this, it's a goof.