Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

the trails of cold steel games move along a calendar and you do bonding events with party members for gameplay benefits, but they're not daily life sims like persona, you often skip weeks at a time and have set days to hang out with people.

These are only on the same consoles as Persona right now, but there's a PC version coming sometime this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Persona calender nonsense is unique if thats what you mean, the closest you can get is straight dating sims.

I see no similarites between Persona and Cold Steel. Other than you know being RPGs.

Edit: they do have one major similarity; rather obvious shifts in mode between story and gameplay.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 25, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Does Stella Glow count? It doesn't have the deadlines that Persona does, but the Social Link thing is there as well as the calendar advancement and free time allocation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, I suspect the answer to this question is "Not really," but...

Are there any other RPGs out there that are like the 'modern' Persona games?

These two excellent P5 LPs are really giving me the urge to play, but I doubt I'll ever own a console that'd run it. I'm curious, especially after the runaway success of P4, if there are any worthy imitators/successors that might be out there. Or, hell, any games that came before P3 that might have served as inspiration for the changes.
Not really, but if you haven't, you should really give Persona 3 Portable a try. The female route does a lot to inject new life into the game. Certainly more than FES/The Answer ever did.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

Not really, but if you haven't, you should really give Persona 3 Portable a try. The female route does a lot to inject new life into the game. Certainly more than FES/The Answer ever did.
But if you do this you owe it to yourself to look up the male's Hermit route, since it's the only one that got worse in the female version.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Haifisch posted:

But if you do this you owe it to yourself to look up the male's Hermit route, since it's the only one that got worse in the female version.
I dunno, there's something sort of humorous about the whole thing being so over-the-top tragic, but that's definitely not what they were intending.

I won't say any more, lest I get too deep into spoilers.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

By the way, the blackboard in our classroom has doodles on it that change with the plot. Please show us them if you can.

I've seen a phantom thief doodle and a Akechi with sparkles doodle.

I'm sure I missed some doodles and that makes me sad.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Haifisch posted:

Justice.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Now that I'm on my computer I can address this better.

If you meant the Calendar aspect of time management, I think you're out of luck. Persona is completely unique in such a fleshed out time management aspect combined with a fully functioning RPG to my knowledge. Closest you get is Rune Factory and its parent, Harvest Moon. I find it horrifically stressful as a completionist that never replays, so I'm thankful for that.

If you mean Talking Mechanics, Persona is neither the first nor the best at them. Not entirely sure what started them, but I'll say Private Actions in Star Ocean were the first that I know of. And it shows because jesus trying to navigate that mess and being so easy to miss tons of them or even possibly get through the games seeing none of them.

Off the top of my head, some series that use them:
Exa Pico Talk Topics (Ar Tonelico and Ar Nosurge)
Luminous Arc Intermissions(Stella Glow goes here)
Tales of Skits
Dragon Quest Party Chat(Which is also in Bravely)
Fire Emblem Supports
Rune Factory Characters Requests(Just 3, somehow or another 4 thought removing the most charming feature was a good idea)
Dangan Ronpa had one that I cant for the life of me remember the name of.
Trails of Cold Steel Bonding
If you push the definition, I'd say Suikoden's castle dialogue counts.

Other than Dangan Ronpa, I can wholeheartedly recommend all of these as Paragons of RPGness unless you have a low tolerance for Japan, in that case skip Exa Pico. Dangan Ronpa is an ADV, its not bad in anyway but to the average person they wouldnt enjoy it much and I'm personally distasteful of the killing game plot genre so I'm a bit biased against it.

I stand by Talking Mechanics as being the absolute best game mechanic to ever be invented because it lets you get more story at the cost of absolutely nothing else, and its even the best type of story, Character-focused! If anyone wants me to, I can look though all my games to kickstart my memories, but I figured this was already big enough.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

If you meant the Calendar aspect of time management, I think you're out of luck. Persona is completely unique in such a fleshed out time management aspect combined with a fully functioning RPG to my knowledge. Closest you get is Rune Factory and its parent, Harvest Moon.
Somebody's never heard of Bistro Cupid. :colbert:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

FractalSandwich posted:

Somebody's never heard of Bistro Cupid. :colbert:

I assure you, I know every single thing about every single obscure Xbox title Microsoft used to try to get a foothold in Japan.

And by everything I mean, what the hell is this game, I cant find anything past the box art.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

AweStriker posted:

The Eiha skill line is actually resurrected from Persona 1, along with a few other things.

Well P1 does have 28 damage types, they don't have to invent a bicycle for a long time

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dasmause posted:

Well P1 does have 28 damage types, they don't have to invent a bicycle for a long time

Did P1 have Nuclear?

Edit: It did, and so did P2. Huh.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 25, 2017

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Blademaster_Aio posted:

By the way, the blackboard in our classroom has doodles on it that change with the plot. Please show us them if you can.

Also you can draw on the blackboard.

Some time later in the game, good things happen if you do that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 6: 4/12: Wilson Would Be Ashamed

I feel exhausted. Maybe it’s because of all the weird stuff that’s been happening to me...

Music: Aria of the Soul

Maaku wakes up in the Velvet Room once more.

On your feet, Inmate!
Our master wishes to speak with you. It’s for your own sake that you take his words to heart.
First off, let us celebrate our reunion. Oh…? You’ve awakened to your powers. And special ones at that. Your rehabilitation can finally begin.

There is no need to understand it all for the time being. You will be training the power of Persona, which you have awakened to. Personas are, in other words, a “mask”--an armor of the heart when confronting worldly matters. I have high expectations for you.

There is no need to worry. You will learn when the time comes. By the by… have you come to appreciate the Metaverse Navigator? Using it will allow you to come and go between reality and Palaces.

...I bestowed it to you as a means to train you as a thief.
The Metaverse Navigator is a gift from our master! You better take care in using it, Inmate!
Devote yourself to your training so that you may become a fine thief.
It must be disheartening to make use of the Metaverse Navigator alone. Should there be others who would prove beneficial to you, I will grant it to them as well. This is all for you to grow as a most excellent thief...
Hmph, it’s time. Go back and enjoy whatever rest you might have...

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Fate… and awakening…? More importantly… I need to hurry and get ready for school...

Didn’t you hear? The guy totally lost it. It’s been happening a lot lately.
All these accidents are because people are suddenly losing their minds, right?
Well, between the economy sucking and how depressing the news always is, it’s not that surprising.

On the path to school, we get another opportunity to eavesdrop.

I am not looking forward to that. Why’d I have to be on the same team as Takamaki? She’s only a magazine model because of her stupid ridiculous body. Being near her disgusts me.
Yeah, but we can’t just ignore her, either, because of what happened with Mr. Kamoshida.
Dealing with her is such a hassle. I wish she’d just not come to school.

Seems like the other students have something against Takamaki.

Anyway, time for class.

Music: So Boring

Hmph… You all look like you’ve been spoiled growing up. Before we learn society’s rules, maybe I should start with the rules of being a decent human being. Hey, new kid.

The Greek philosopher Plato divided the human soul into three parts. A soul is composed of appetite, spirit, and what else?

Correct. So you knew that, huh? Plato’s teacher, Socrates, said that evil is born from ignorance. People who’ve been babied, taught that evil is due to individuality, can only become society’s scum.

He seems like a punk, but maybe he’s actually serious about studying?
I feel like I got a little smarter from being able to answer that question...

Aw shucks.

This right here is our social stats screen. The five stats in this game are Knowledge, Charm, Kindness, Proficiency, and Guts. These aren’t terribly relevant yet, but in the future these are going to be the bane of my loving existence. They still don’t show you how close you are to the next rank, too, which is really frustrating.

From that we got Knowledge +1. I’m not sure if different activities have different outputs in regards to what’s displayed, but I am fairly certain that the five stats have wildly different thresholds in regards to how much is needed to rank up. Knowledge takes forever, for example, while Proficiency can be done far more quickly.

Bizarre incidents have been occurring frequently. Those are but the actions of such scum. We don’t need crude people like that in this school. Understand?

After class ends…

Music: Disquiet

You looking for a ride home? Things have been pretty dangerous lately with all those accidents.
Sorry, I have a photoshoot today. It’s for the special summer issue, so I can’t afford to miss it...
Hey, now… Being a model’s fine and dandy, but don’t work your pretty little self to the bone. You mentioned you weren’t feeling well, right? Something about appendicitis?
Yes, I keep planning to go to the hospital, but I’ve been too busy… Sorry to worry you.
You must be lonely too. I feel bad for keeping your best friend at practice so often. That’s why I asked you out in the first place. Oh, and… be careful around that transfer student. He’s got a criminal record, after all. If something were to happen to you...
...Thank you. Please excuse me.

Holy poo poo, what a dirtbag.

Music: Suspicion

I wanna talk about that castle from yesterday. I tried tellin’ myself it was all just a dream… but I couldn’t do it. I can’t act like nothing happened. It’s all connected to that bastard Kamoshida, after all. I wanna find out what’s up with that place, no matter what. And y’know, you’re the only person I can rely on for this stuff. So, you in?

Ooh… Looks like I managed to talk some sense into you. I think we should just try and retrace our steps from yesterday. In the meantime, you’re walkin’ to the station, right? Let’s go together. Lemme know if you notice any other weird buildings on the way.
Ryuji doesn’t seem like a bad guy. I should probably just go along with this...

When’d they build something like that though? We walked that way from here, right?

When you put it that way, I’m not so sure anymore… ...All right, this way. Lemme know if you notice something.

We’re at school… There wasn’t anything out of place along the way, right? I didn’t see no castle either… ...We must’ve made a wrong turn somewhere. Let’s try again.

C’mon, you gotta stick with me to the end. Let’s go.

One more attempt later...

Is it smaller than we think it is? What do you think?

I already did that. I didn’t see anything like it around here… Huh? Phone… Hey, that reminds me—didn’t you have a navigation app thingy on, back then?

I dunno if it was or not, but I heard stuff that sounded like one comin’ from your phone. Y’know, didn’t it say stuff like “returned to the real world” or something like that? Lemme see your phone for a bit.

What’s this eyeball-lookin’ thing?

Wait, what? What a weird app… ...Oh wait, this is it!

Oh man, I’m such a genius! Let’s try usin’ it.

Why? All we’re doin’ is startin’ an app.
Kamoshida… Shujin Academy… Pervert… Castle… Beginning navigation.
There we go! ...Then, we went in a certain direction, and--

...Huh? What the hell!?

Music: Desire

...Yeargh! Those clothes...!

That happened last time too, huh!? What’s with that outfit!?

You LIKE it!? What’s goin’ on here!? This makes no effin’ sense at all...

Stop making a commotion.
Ah… You!?
The Shadows started acting up, so I came here wondering what it could be… ...To think you guys would come back to the entrance when you barely managed to escape.
What is this place? ...Is it the school?
That’s right.
But it’s a castle!
This castle IS the school. ...But only to this castle’s ruler.
The castle’s ruler…?
I think you called him Kamoshida? It’s how his distorted heart views the school.
Kamoshida… Distorted…? Explain it in a way that makes sense!

These games always need one party member who needs everything explained thoroughly to them just in case the player’s even denser than they are.

I shouldn’t have expected a moron to get it...
What’d you say!?

What was that!?
It must be the slaves captive here.
For real!?

The screaming continues.

Oh, poo poo… It’s for real! We saw other guys held captive here yesterday… I’m pretty sure they’re from our school.
Most likely on Kamoshida’s orders. It’s nothing out of the ordinary; It’s like that every day here. What’s more, you two escaped yesterday. He must have lost his temper quite a bit.
That son of a bitch…!
Ryuji…?
...This is bullshit!

You hear me, Kamoshida!?
Doing that isn’t going to open it, you know… Still, it seems you have your reasons.
Hey, Monamona!

Do you know where those voices are comin’ from?
You want me to take you to them? ...Well, I guess I could guide you there. But only if he comes with us.

…..
I just want to get a better look at your powers. Even if you don’t agree, I bet this guy’ll go on even if he has to do it alone. Are you gonna leave him?

It’s settled then!
For real…!? ...Thanks, man.
All right, let’s do this. Follow me!

Ain’t that where we escaped outta last time…?
That’s right. Not barging in through the entrance is one of the basics of phantom thievery.
How’re we supposed to know about that stuff…?
I’ll make sure to teach you as we go. Come on, follow me!
So, uh… sorry for draggin’ you into all of this… But I can’t just forgive that bastard Kamoshida doin’ whatever the hell he wants! Really though, thanks for comin’ along. I owe you big time!

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves (Another Version)

Mm-hm. Now, make sure you do exactly as I say, all right? ...Follow me!

The room changes appearance suddenly, then changes back.

I was seein’ double or something just now…! Was that Shujin!?
I’ve told you before. This place is your school. Regardless, we don’t have the time to stand around. Who knows when a shadow might show up. Come on, this way!

It looks like we won’t be able to avoid conflict from this point forward.
F-For real…?
Oh well. I’ll just teach you the basics of battle right now. You had better remember all of this. As a rule of thumb, try to ambush as many enemies as you can. Attack them from behind whenever possible. You’ll need to rip off their masks to momentarily break the control the Palace ruler has over them. If you succeed, the enemy will be caught off guard, allowing us to jump in for a preemptive attack.

So we wanna ambush ‘em and go for the first strike… All right, I got it!
Uh, you know you’re just going to be watching, right? You can’t use a Persona… Anyway, let’s go!

Simple enough.

Sneak up behind, tear off the mask…

...and get to act first in battle.

However, ambushing can really mess you up sometimes if you’re not careful, because the enemy gets two actions after your party acts: Once guaranteed after the full party goes, and then again after the order resets and it gets its usual action. If it’s a strong enemy it might get to act twice in a row, and if it’s hitting weaknesses it can be even more than that. It’s a bad scene all around. I’m not saying don’t ambush, but know what you’re getting into if you can’t kill the enemy in one turn.

Music: Last Surprise (Probably listen to this)

Also worth noting is that we get our first taste of the battle theme here, Last Surprise. You can listen to it now, but for the true experience of reading this update just play the first ten seconds, stop, then repeat 3 times or so, because you’re not gonna hear any more of it than that fighting these enemies.

Quiet down!
Oh yeah, there were more of ‘em further in too…!
They might have been transferred already...

It would be a problem if they discovered us now… Hey, let’s head into that room. We should be able to hide in there until they leave.

Music: Wicked Plan

*gasp* *pant* How can you tell?
There’s a lack of distortion here, meaning the ruler’s control over this area is weak.

Now do you understand? This place is another reality that the ruler’s heart projects.
This is Kamoshida’s reality…? poo poo makes no sense at all!
One could say it’s a world in which one’s distorted desires have materialized. I call such a place a “Palace.”
A Palace…?
This is happening because he thinks the school is his own castle.
So, it became like this ‘cause he just thought of it like that!? Hahaha… That son of a bitch!
You must really hate this Kamoshida guy.
Hate doesn’t even cover how I feel. Everything is that rear end in a top hat’s fault!
I don’t know what happened between you two, but don’t let your emotions get the better of you. His lackeys are everywhere inside.

Yeah, I’m curious as hell about it too.
That’s also because of this world.
More stuff that makes no sense...
Anything distorts according to how a ruler pleases within his Palace. A school can turn into a castle like this, after all. In order to prevent such distortions, one must hold a powerful will of rebellion. Your appearance is a manifestation of that. It’s the image of rebellion that you hold within.
Uuugh, I’m so fed up with all this! I’m more curious about you than his clothes! What the hell are you anyways!?

This is, well… It’s because I lost my true form. ...I think.
You think?
But I do know how to regain my true form. The reason why I snuck in here was for a preliminary investigation of those means. Well, I ended up getting caught though… Besides, I’ve been tortured by Kamoshida too! I’m gonna make him pay for sure!
What is this, a comic book? This is seriously crazy...
If we’re gonna keep going, we should hurry along. I’ll be counting on your skills this time too, rookie. Got it?
Don’t worry, I’m not gonna force it all on you. I thought it might help, so...

Ryuji, did you bring a gun to school?

That’s a toy!
But it looks totally real, so it’ll at least fake ‘em out. I brought some medicine too. You know what they say: “Providin’ is pre...something.” Huh? Huh?
So you were planning this from the start… Well, fine. If you’re ready to go, we’ll resume our infiltration.

And so we obtain the sacred power of GUN.

Let’s use this time to sort through our current situation.

Music: Have a Short Rest

Safe rooms are a new concept to the series. They let you warp between them, leave the Palace, save, check your progress, serve as checkpoints when you die, and even let you use special healing items within them.

And what of the slaves?
They’re all in the training hall. I’d assume they’re screaming in pain by now.
Very well. By the way, I heard we may have intruders around. Stay on your guard.

Did you hear that?

I think that’s just a little further ahead. Let’s go!

The way to the training hall should be just past those bars...
So… what’re we gonna do? Do we gotta fight it?
Seems so. Just don’t let it notice you beforehand… If it does, the Palace’s security level will rise.

Being forced to leave the palace at 100% is dire indeed. We’ll have to take care not to get caught too many times.

Being at 0% is awesome because you can just ambush from wherever you want. It’s great. You can be smack dab in front of their face and as long as they haven’t “noticed” you you’re golden.

One fight later...

Yeah, it’s a little further. Make sure you watch out for any guards along the way.

No, nobody yet...
Shoot… I had a feeling there would be a lot of enemies. It’d be impossible to dodge all of them...
Then, what do we do? Should we try and take ‘em down like before?
It’s not that simple. We still have a long way to go, so we should be conserving energy.
I-I see… Sorry… Dammit, I wish I could fight… I’d at least be able to help out a little bit… But all I got is this toy from earlier… I’m such a loser.
Huh? Do you mean that gun?
Yeah… It looks real n’ all, but it doesn’t shoot anything...
I see… Well, there is a way… Okay, we’ll use that to take down the enemies!
What!? Were you listenin’ to me? It don’t even shoot pellets...
Don’t worry, I’m sure this’ll work. Attack away, Frizzy Hair!

Wait, dude! I keep sayin’, it’s not gonna fire anything!

You have the gun with you, right? Point it at a Shadow and fire!

Guns are a good source of knockdowns against enemies weak to it. A lot of winged enemies are weak to Gun, for the record. There’s a price, however...

How about that? Surprised? Be mindful of how much ammo you have left!

Limited ammo. There are ways to restore ammo but they’re not very good. While it’s technically true that dumping an entire clip into an enemy will generally do more damage than a physical attack, there’s no reason to, especially because ammo is so limited and you’re generally not going to be upgrading your gun for better damage very often. It’s pretty much never worth it. Of course, weapon types vary across party members, and have different ammo counts and do different amounts of damage.

Morgana for instance, has a Bart Simpson-esque slingshot...

...that he wastefully tears through ammunition with.

This is a cognitive world. As long as our opponent sees it as real, it becomes such. It’s a good thing it’s realistic-looking.
...I don’t get it.
I wasn’t expecting someone with your brains to understand. How about you, Frizzy Hair? Did you get what I said?

I feel kind of bad for Ryuji, constantly getting poo poo on by this loving cat.

Maybe I was expecting too much...
Wait, if it’s better havin’ something realistic, why do you got that slingshot!? And it was just as strong as a goddamn gun! What about your whole cognitive whatever!?
W-Well, um… *sigh* Fine, you can choose to understand it however you want. Oh, by the way, we should decide how we divvy up our roles in battle from here on out.
He totally dodged my question...
As you can see, there are quite a lot of enemies. It’ll be important to coordinate our moves well. I can keep providing intel for us, but you should decide how we fight, Frizzy Hair.
Whaddya mean by “how we fight”?
Basically, what we do in battle. He can order us directly, or let us decide what we do. ...Though I guess I’m the only other one fighting right now...

So, we can set Morgana to take orders from us from now on, which the game helpfully does for us.

We can also automatically use skills that will hit the enemy’s weakness, if we know it.

Finally, to speed up trash fights, we can use Rush, which will quickly make every party member auto-melee.

You guys gonna take it down again?
I guess that’s our only choice… But wait, this might be a good time… Okay, I’ve decided! I’m going to teach you two a special way to fight enemies!

Something like that! Let’s go!

First, knock down all the enemies! Everything starts with that crucial step!

All right! Now rush on in for an All-out Attack!

All-out Attacks are better and more stylish than they’ve ever been, and in this game every character gets a unique pose for starting one that defeats all enemies. It’s awesome.

Wh-What was that super-move thing you just did!?
I told you, it’s called an All-out Attack. If you manage to knock all the enemies down, you might be able to use it to beat them all at once.
Yeah… That was over quick…
It’s a concentrated attack on defenseless enemies, after all. Now as I mentioned before, I want you to be the head of our command. You can decide when we use this.

That last bit is important; if Maaku or everyone but Maaku are incapacitated for one reason or another, no All-out Attacking.

Kamoshida’s… Training Hall… of Love…? What kinda bullshit is this!?

Music: Desire

The slaves are repeatedly beaten with sticks by the guards.

How many times do I have to tell you to keep your voice down!?
But this is beyond messed up! How do I open this…?

Huh!?

You’re tellin’ me you wanna stay in a place like this!?
Wait a minute… Were you planning on taking these guys out of here?
We can’t just leave ‘em here!
How stupid can you be…?
What!?
These are only humans in Kamoshida’s cognition. They aren’t real humans that have entered from reality. They’re different from you two.
Cognition…?
It means there’s no point in saving them! They’re different from the real ones in the real world. You could say that these are extremely similar-looking dolls.
The hell!? Why’s it gotta be so complicated!? So the school’s a castle, and the students are slaves… It’s so on point that it makes me laugh. This really is the inside of that rear end in a top hat’s head…!
Still, this is horrible. It must mean he treats them as slaves in the real world too.
In the real world too…? Wait, I know these guys… They’re members of the volleyball team—the one Kamoshida coaches for!
They must be physically abused every day… There’s no way they’d be so beat up normally.
Don’t tell me… They’re going through similar poo poo in reality!?
Most likely. I mean, this proves that Kamoshida thinks of them as slaves.
So it might be for real… I heard that Kamoshida’s usin’ physical punishment. They’re just rumors, but… If they’re true, wouldn’t this be somethin’ to report to the police…? I’ll use these guys as evidence.

We can use the navigation app, but the camera’s a no go!?
A navigation app?
That’s what we used to come here. What about yours?

My camera app won’t open.
Whatever you do is fine, but we’re gonna get caught if we stand around like this. We need to head back!
Hang on a sec! There’s no other way… I’ll just memorize their faces before goin’ home!

Time to gather evidence.

Urghh… Please, no more...

Students run on a treadmill towards a pot.

Not givin’ athletes water even for tough trainin’ is a common thing in the real world too… That sack of poo poo…! I’m gonna try and memorize all these guys’ faces before we go back… Mkay, I’m done. Let’s check and see if there’re any more!

It hurts… It hurts…!

A cannon repeatedly fires explosive volleyballs at a student.

The hell…? This ain’t trainin’ at all… It’s just violence! This means he’s been doin’ something similar in reality too, right…? drat that bastard…!

What, exactly, is similar to this? This is just insane.

I know, I know… Just gimme a sec. I’ll memorize ‘em quick.
Hey, are you done yet!? We’re cutting it close here!
Don’t freak me out like that, you goddamn moron! Anyways, I got all of ‘em!
Then let’s stop wasting time! We need to scram!

Chances of intruder activity are extremely high! All personnel, increase security measures!

To think you’d make the same mistake again. You’re hopeless!
The school ain’t your castle! I’ve memorized their faces real good. You’re goin’ down!
It seems it’s true when they say “barking dogs seldom bite.” How far the star runner of the track team has fallen.
The hell are you gettin’ at!?
I speak of the “Track Traitor” who acted in violence, ending his teammates’ dreams. Oh, I can only imagine the pain of the others who were dragged under with your… selfish act.
Ngh...

What a surprise. So you’re accompanying him without knowing anything at all? He betrayed his teammates and crushed their hopes, yet he still carries on as carefree as ever.

You’ve come along with this fool and are now going to end up dead. ...How unlucky of you. Go. Kill them all. Don’t sully my castle with garbage.

Ryuji, move!

Morgana goes down.

And swiftly enough, so does Maaku.

No…
What a worthless piece of trash, getting emotional so quickly… How dare you raise your hand at me. Though it was only temporary, have you forgotten my kindness in supervising track practice?

It was nothing but an eyesore! The only one who needs to achieve results is me! That coach who got fired was hopeless too… Had he not opposed me with a sound argument, I would’ve settled it with only breaking his star’s leg.
...What?
Do you need me to deal with your other leg too? The school will call it self-defense anyway!
Dammit… Am I gonna lose again…? Not only can I not run anymore… the track team is gone too ‘cause of this rear end in a top hat…!
So that’s why…
Once these two are dealt with, you’re next. Hahahaha…!
Ryuji!

...You’re right. Everything that was important to me was taken by him… I’ll never get ‘em back…!
Stay there and watch. Look on as these hopeless scum die for nothing because they sided with trash like you.

All you think about is using people… You’re the real scumbag, Kamoshida!

Music: Awakening

Ryuji’s Awakening (Watch this)

Since your name has been disgraced already, why not hoist the flag and wreak havoc…? The “other you” who exists within desires it thus...

There’s no turning back...

Music: Will Power

Ugh… This one as well!?

Kamoshida must be getting real sick of these loving teenagers bleeding face blood all over his castle.

This effin’ rocks! Now that I got this power, it’s time for payback… Yo, I’m ready...

The guard transforms into another Shadow.

So, Ryuji’s joined our party now, and he brings with him maybe my favorite Persona design. Maybe. There’s some good ones.

Captain Kidd was a Scottish pirate (or maybe not, there’s apparently some debate about this). He is, notably, not fictional, but the legend that he left behind treasure after his death inspired works such as Treasure Island and motherfucking One Piece.

Ryuji fills an interesting niche we haven’t seen bef—He’s Kanji. He’s Kanji almost exactly, down to the Electricity/Physical affinity and poo poo SP pool. And he’s the good Kanji from Golden, not the bad one from vanilla. The only meaningful differences are that Kanji got the Elec buffs and Ryuji gets multitarget physical attacks, but that’s kinda it.

Ryuji and Kidd are voiced by Max Mittelman (and Mamoru Miyano in Japanese), who’s honestly pretty great even if I did spend the last few months complaining it wasn’t Ben Diskin. He’s a newer VA whose most prominent role is almost certainly that of Saitama in One Punch Man.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 3, 2018

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

So one interesting bit: Ryuji calls Morgana "Monamona", Monamona is actually some sort of ASCII cat drawing-thing, probably popular in Japanese internet chats and forums. Wish I could post an example but I can't find it for the life of me

Also fun fact: due to bug or something, MC has two of the same starter gun

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I haven't finished the update yet, but given that he's the first male friend and also pretty slow on the uptake, I'm assuming that Ryuji's Arcana is Magician.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I haven't finished the update yet, but given that he's the first male friend and also pretty slow on the uptake, I'm assuming that Ryuji's Arcana is Magician.

Eeeeeyup. Even though Magician personas are good at Magic, it's almost kinda upside down how the Magician SLs that pretain to party members (Junpei on P3P's FeMC route through the game and P4's Youske) tend to either be bruisers with Magic (Junpei) or are fairly balanced between the stats (Youske). Ryuji is more the former with a good deal of Physical attacks and the Zio series of spells to hit weaknesses with. He's a good. Though one could consider him Kanji 2.0 without the Bi-Confused "trait" Kanji had in Persona 4. Though I like the kinda guys who are willing to crack their knuckles and get their hands dirty, so both of them get a pass.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 25, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In the span of about seven updates, Kamoshida has hit on female students, been implied to torture other students with vague cannonball-esque themed abuse, broken a student's leg, and stomped on a (not-)cat.

The main villain of this game must be a casserole of insanity.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
And here's item one on why Morgana is awful: his constant making GBS threads on Ryuji for no reason whatsoever

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

holy poo poo

quote:

holy poo poo

This game is incredible, I feel like I need to wait for it to come out on PC. Should I?

edit: :negative:
\/\/\/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It won't.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
It better not because I already have a PC that could run it and bought a PS4 primarily for this.

I'll have to remember to comment on the cannonball-themed abuse, because I think I know what that's supposed to be.

(it's not a big deal. But there's something analogous)

Guns are a good idea but seem too limited for anything other than hitting a Gun weakness, at this point.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

The style of this game is loving magnificient.

I feel like Persona dubs have a knack for picking up good, relatively unknown talent. P4 had Troy Baker as Kanji before it blew up, and I really dig Max Mittleman's line readings in this game--he has a good knack for comedy.

I think "You jelly?" and "Wassup Persona" were the lines that me decide that I loved this game's localization team.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 26, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

GeneX posted:

And here's item one on why Morgana is awful: his constant making GBS threads on Ryuji for no reason whatsoever

Except not really? Ryuji definitely deserves to be poo poo on some, for multiple reasons, and there are multiple times in the game I wish the MC had the chance to poo poo on him a bit. In terms of playstyle he's basically Kanji except even better, but in terms of personality he's Kanji mixed with Yosuke, with all that implies.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Another thing missing from most western discussions of P5 are the inspirations for the names of every major character (that is, everyone who's in this game's version of social links). It makes sense - most of them are figures from Japanese history that aren't very well known in the west, but since for most of them it's not just the name but also some traits that are shared, the connections are clear. All of them are historical or literary rebels and insubordinates.

Morgana's namesake is obviously the Arthurian Morgan le Fay, and I don't have much more to say about that except that the Magician arcana makes the link even stronger.

Ryūji Sakamoto (坂本竜司) is inspired by Ryōma Sakamoto (坂本龍馬). They share the exact same last name (like all of P5's namesakes) and the first kanji of Ryuji's first name is a variation on the first in Ryoma's. Sakamoto was a key figure in the fall of the Tokugawa shogunate at the end of the 18th century, and was also heavily involved in the founding the Imperial Japanese Navy, matching Ryuji's seafaring Persona.

There's a lot more in P5 inspired by real life people, like pretty much all of the game's major villains. It's still a little early to discuss Kamoshida's inspiration, though.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 26, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
130+ hours in and I still don't get tired of seeing all out attacks.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

The style of this game is loving magnificient.

I feel like Persona dubs have a knack for picking up good, relatively unknown talent. P4 had Troy Baker as Kanji before it blew up, and I really dig Max Mittleman's line readings in this game--he has a good knack for comedy.

I think "You jelly?" and "Wassup Persona" were the lines that me decide that I loved this game's localization team.

"You jelly?" is the only correct choice there and I will brook no argument.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kemix posted:

Eeeeeyup. Even though Magician personas are good at Magic, it's almost kinda upside down how the Magician SLs that pretain to party members (Junpei on P3P's FeMC route through the game and P4's Youske) tend to either be bruisers with Magic (Junpei) or are fairly balanced between the stats (Youske). Ryuji is more the former with a good deal of Physical attacks and the Zio series of spells to hit weaknesses with. He's a good. Though one could consider him Kanji 2.0 without the Bi-Confused "trait" Kanji had in Persona 4. Though I like the kinda guys who are willing to crack their knuckles and get their hands dirty, so both of them get a pass.

Someone else already spoiled it but Ryuji is not the Magician in this game. In fact, this game is actually the best of the series in corresponding the thematic meanings of each Arcana to their corresponding character, but we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

"Wassup, Persona" instantly made Ryuji the best "best bro" character in the series for me, and despite some rough patches, that opinion never changed for me

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mittleman's voice for Captain Kidd leans more towards the voice he did for Leo from Fire Emblem Fates. Which becomes hilarious as Mamrou Miyano is Leo's Japanese VA.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I literally got a PS4 just for this game and have already spent 9 hours in a day playing.

holy poo poo

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
One reason I like Ryuji a lot, and also his voice actor, is that he gets incredibly pissed off at all the injustice he sees. Dude has his flaws, but his heart is absolutely in the right place at all times.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

It's a shame the Awakening video doesn't have this line in it, because Mittleman does a fantastic job of selling Ryuji's anger and frustration at his situation finally boiling over.

And yeah, Ryuji's a pretty great character. There were times I got annoyed at some of the stuff he does, but his heart is in the right place.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

My name is William Kidd,
And what God's Law forbid,
Most wickedly I did
When I sailed.
:black101:

Yeah, that's pretty cool; the Persona designs are really great in this game. Yeah, Ryuji's heart is in the right place, and Mittleman does some great work with him; he is most definitely my favorite "starter bro" character in the series (with Junpei being a distant second).

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Morgana making GBS threads on Ryuji is weird because he did ask some pretty pertinent questions. It feels like the game is expecting us to side with Morgana because the mental cognition stuff is easy to understand as a player, but he's just a random teenager who got sucked into this poo poo. And he's quick to (correctly) point out that Morgana carrying a slingshot contradicts the entire reasoning behind fake guns doing real damage.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 26, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

GunnerJ posted:

holy poo poo

holy poo poo

This game is incredible, I feel like I need to wait for it to come out on PC. Should I?

edit: :negative:
\/\/\/

I specifically bought a PS4 for this game.

Suck it up and pay the piper......

Easier said than done I know :negative:

Also, having never played Golden (watching several scenes of Marie was enough to make me want to burn every copy I might come across, let alone play the evil thing), what the hell is wrong with Vanilla Kanji?! I considered him to be one of the best teammates due to Elec weakness being common, having matarukaja, having great physical attacks (that would only "barely" be eclipsed by Chie near the end and only then because she got charge), and just being awesome in general.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 26, 2017

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

I assure you, I know every single thing about every single obscure Xbox title Microsoft used to try to get a foothold in Japan.

And by everything I mean, what the hell is this game, I cant find anything past the box art.
It's an RPG/dating sim/restaurant management game. The guy who was doing the Tokimeki Memorial LP streamed it once, for either Valentine's Day or April Fools'. (I don't remember which - either would have fit.) I think that footage has been lost to the sands of time, unfortunately, and I don't recommend anyone go looking for it, because he also streamed Persona 5, and I don't know what deadly spoilers might lurk in the shadows of his Twitch archive.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

mauman posted:

I specifically bought a PS4 for this game.

Suck it up and pay the piper......

Easier said than done I know :negative:

Also, having never played Golden (watching several scenes of Marie was enough to make me want to burn every copy I might come across, let alone play the evil thing), what the hell is wrong with Vanilla Kanji?! I considered him to be one of the best teammates due to Elec weakness being common, having matarukaja, having great physical attacks (that would only "barely" be eclipsed by Chie near the end), and just being awesome in general.

He gets Power Charge in Golden. 'Nuff said.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Rogue 7 posted:

He gets Power Charge in Golden. 'Nuff said.

Oh.

Goddammit.

Well, doesn't matter I still think he's great in P4 Vanilla. Having Matarukaja alone should make him a contender.

Actually, I'm not sure I'm ok with that change to be honest.

Kemix posted:

A LOUD reminder to people that P5 is ALSO on PS3. It really just has slightly longer loading times and graphical downscaling that doesn't matter as much as some people might think. It just doesn't have a Special Edition version or has any feelies that Atlus likes to include in their games. (aka: Atlus Tax)

Also for some ungodly reason I blanked on Ryuji's Arcana. Sorry, my bad, I was in a hurry to get to work and my brain blanked.

I personally figured that since I skipped the PS3 I might as well just jump to the PS4, but this is a good point if you want to save 1 or 2 hundred dollars.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
A LOUD reminder to people that P5 is ALSO on PS3. It really just has slightly longer loading times and graphical downscaling that doesn't matter as much as some people might think. It just doesn't have a Special Edition version or has any feelies that Atlus likes to include in their games. (aka: Atlus Tax)

Also for some ungodly reason I blanked on Ryuji's Arcana. Sorry, my bad, I was in a hurry to get to work and my brain blanked.