Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how the conspiracy is more exposable in this game. Lets us recruit people who have windows into it, and that's always a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 81: 7/28-7/29: And Then She Slept For Three Weeks

So, we’re waiting for Futaba to wake up. Anyone who’s played Persona 4 is more than familiar with this scenario, waiting until the deadline for the person you saved to magically get better, but this one is over a much longer period of nearly a month.

If you’re wondering why I decided to do the Palace straight away, it’s because I find Futaba’s Crazy Coma kind of hilarious.

I don’t get it… Are they just going to ignore them?
I’m sure they’re working on it!
We’re gonna be in trouble if they don’t do anything…
I wish they’d take care of it already….

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

My desperation has given birth to a new idea… These possibilities make my heart dance! I would like you to come with me again if you are able!
I’m eating now. Maybe I should respond later...

But I’m gonna open up shop soon. You either need to go upstairs or get out of here.

Hm, you have the day off today. Why don’t we go somewhere?

Music: Tokyo Daylight

Oh, Medjed? They’re a group of hackers known around the world. They’ve caused trouble before. They target security holes in servers and extract information by accessing sites illegally...
I don’t really get it, but they’re basically outlaws, right? “Judgment of Justice,” my rear end.

Yeah, I need to prepare for these cases related to information leaks and unauthorized access. These corporate higher-ups are panicking. They’ve never even heard of Medjed till just now.
I suppose they have some pretty big secrets that they’d like to keep, hahaha!

Meanwhile, I am here to observe the public in an attempt to refresh my mind. Do you need something?

*chuckle* You must have a wealth of free time if that is your decision. To be honest, I think I have found the way to pull myself out of my slump. Would you mind joining me again?

I believe I will find what I’m looking for at the church. Let us head over there.

After our enlightening session, I once again attempted to paint. However, nothing I put on the canvas was to my satisfaction… Before the gods of art, I am naught but a lost sheep…

Music: My Homie

Our theme today shall be anguish! I shall paint the anguish Christ felt as he bore the sins of mankind! Hm, I have seen various sculptures and paintings on the matter… but merely replicating them will not do. Would any believers be willing to model and help me capture the true essence of anguish…? It seems not… Very well. Maaku, you will have to be my model today.

Only a subject naked as the day they were born can convey the true anguish of birth! Now then… strip! Take it all-- Actually, perhaps not. Being found stark-naked in a church would be even bigger news than the Phantom Thieves.

Hm, I see… So this would be… No, perhaps… It seems this is not working. I would like to capture anguish, yet you remain calm and composed. Even the slightest wrinkle can change one’s impression of things…. I shall not compromise, even for this sketch!

Now, raise your hands higher! More… Give me more anguish…! Bring it to its upper limits! Like this!

Wha--

YEAH

Hrm, this position… So this is the Passion of the Christ…! Forsaken by his disciples, abhorred as a criminal by the public, pierced with nails and hung on the cross… I understand now… This is true anguish of the Passion…! It feels as though something is boiling up within me…!

Oh poo poo!

This is an art study...

I am attempting to paint anguish, so I decided to use the crucifixion of Christ as a point of reference...
So you’re interested in the anguish of the crucifixion? Hmmm. While it is true that Jesus’ crucifixion on the cross is a symbol of deep suffering… It also bears a much more positive message… One of resurrection, of forgiveness.

Resurrection…? Forgiveness…? I’m not sure I understand… Those ideas are contradictory to my conception of anguish…
It may be difficult to grasp what I’m saying right now… But try to consider that the anguish one may feel today will someday bring forth new hope. Ah, and by the way… I suggest you contain your excitement while here. You may trouble the congregration.

Hm, hope from anguish… ...I’m not sure I understand. I must learn more about the hearts of men… Maaku… Do you think I will be able to capture the truth someday?

Was that provocation intentional? This is exceedingly strange though. Spending time with you has helped me discover new aspects of myself… You are perhaps… a mirror of sorts.

Devoid of any personality of my own, reflecting back what the viewer needs to see? Why, thank you.

If there is anything I can do in return, please let me know… I wish to repay your kindness.
I feel like my bond with Yusuke is growing deeper...

I’m not exactly sure what constitutes a “mid-rank” Skill Card, but hey, more poo poo to never use!

Let us return home for today. I bid you farewell.

Okaaaaaaaay…

Farewell.

...This is the best Confidant event in the game.

Goodbye, Maaku.

Music: Beneath the Mask

Yes. Let us drink some tea and calm our minds. Oh, some rice crackers with the tea would be lovely as well.
What?
I am most certainly in the mood
Anyway, we should wait a little longer for Futaba to wake up.
for something salty today.

This segmented response from Yusuke is so weird and realistic, I love it.

I understand why you guys feel nervous, but we’ll just have to wait for now.

“Destructive damage to the Japanese economy”… But wasn’t it dead to begin with?
Haha, I’m sure the big companies are in a panic. I don’t think that’s an empty threat, either.
What are the Phantom Thieves going to do? Well, it’d be funny if they ended up running away from this. Thank you. The curry was delicious.

According to experts, there are many corporations that could be potential targets. Companies managing public transport and other utilities are pressured to take countermeasures.
Medjed is so creepy. They’re really making a big mess out of all this.

It’sh Obon, so I’ll do you a spheshial favorrrr. Jus’ lemme know… who ya wanna meet.

Oh, them? They’re faaamoush! Urp… OK. H-Here I go… Hey…! I am a phantom thief!I’m going to steal your hea-- W-Wait… Who was I supposhed to impershonate again?

Oh, those h-hackersh are no good! They pop out and shurprise you… outta nowhereeee. Pineapple! Shee! Surprises’re bad. Hackersh hide like yucky candy, mished in wi’ the good stuff.

Mine say that too. They say he’s famous and everyone likes him because he studied so much.
I think the Phantom Thieves are way cooler than him. They’re gonna fight hackers next, right?
Being a hacker would be cool, too. We could steal the answers for all our tests. Anyway, I wonder who’s gonna win. This is gonna be even cooler than Featherman!

We’re not kids anymore, y’know… Shouldn’t you be prepping for college interviews or something? Also, how’d you do on the finals? Did you even study?
Haha… Exams, jobs—it’s all just information warfare, maaan! My skills’ll put Medjed to shame!

This guy sounds like a stoner Metal Gear boss. “The war of information will be won by those backed by systems of societal control, Scoob!”

They have likely given up. No one has been able to discover their true identities. Which means we must rely on the Phantom Thieves. Though, I doubt they’ll be amenable.
Regardless, they’re garnering a lot of attention… So, shall we put an ad on the news station?

From what I remember, Medjed attacked whatever it didn’t like. That group caused a lot of damage.
But isn’t this the first time they targeted Japan for a full-scale attack?
That’s all because the Phantom Thieves appeared. I can’t stand getting dragged into this.

Hell no! No one knows who Medjed is… Oh… Is blaming foreigners for things common in Japan?
Are you mocking my country? You better shut your mouth before you piss me off!

Eh, it’s got nothin’ to do with you. ...If I play my cards right, I can get the Phantom Thieves blamed for my work… Aw, what the hell!? Get outta here, go somewhere else!

Geography doesn’t matter on the internet. Besides, the Phantom Thieves will take care of them.
The Phantom Thieves are just a myth! That’s why they haven’t responded! Wake up. This city is built on lies!

“This city is built on lies!” is my new go-to pickup line.

I know you’re a little nervous, but this is just something you gotta do to win people’s hearts. You know, I wanted to be a singer, too. In a way, you realizing your dream is like we both are.
You did, Mr. Asakura? Just like me? Well, I guess I can trust you!

Please take a seat.
I don’t think my bond with Chihaya will deepen yet...
>Hang out with her
OK, heeere we gooo...

I feel like my bond with Chihaya will grow stronger soon...
Well then, see you.

Why does Maaku keep his phone in his pocket when he goes to bed

Since we’re finally on summer vacation, you should come and help me investigate. We have to punish that deviant and save the children of summer vacation! Let’s go together tomorrow!
Well, what’s your plan? Do you want to go to the planetarium with Mishima?

The planetarium escapade is mildly interesting but gets us more points with Mishima and Yusuke, which are both useless. We decide to “respond later” (because I chose the wrong option, oops), but will immediately decline upon waking up. I might show it in a bonus part or something though.

Don’t forget to respond later, OK?

Music: Tokyo Emergency

I already bought two tickets… I’ll go twice by myself.

This is hilariously sad and I love it.

Really? Did you have other plans?

...Yes. I was going to… hang out at the diner all day. Let’s go do that.

Ah, OK, so they’re terrorists. What are these hackers trying to do to us?
They’re… Ah, you know. They’re planning on doing some pretty bad stuff. Hey, thanks. I’ll just leave what I owe you here.

Got it, Boss.

First step in today’s itinerary is to take advantage of Chihaya’s Luck Reading.

OK. Please take a seat.

Reading your luck improvement fortune will cost you 5000 yen. All right, please think of some area in which you’d like to increase your luck.

It seems you will greatly benefit from taking actions that will increase your Knowledge.

That’s all for today’s improvement reading. I hope you’re happy with your fortune. I look forward to your next visit.

And now to the diner. Maaku gains a boosted Knowledge +2 (4 points instead of 3) and Guts +1.

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

Most likely, the Phantom Thieves simply don’t have the means of confronting them. After all, Medjed is quite different from anyone they’ve gone up against thus far. It seems their best option is to reveal their identities before more people are needlessly harmed.
He really hit us where it hurts… We’re going to beat them, though!

Can we? I’m starting to doubt it.

Ugh, hot rain.

A while? What the hell does that mean?

And back to the diner. The rainy day bonus is applied weirdly in that it’s another +1 in addition to the +2 after the fact, so boosted it turns into two +2s. This doesn’t actually change anything, because the +2 goes from 3 to 4 and the +1 goes from 2 to 3, meaning boosting it increases the total from 5 to 7 no matter how it’s applied, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

Anyway, Maaku gains Charm +1 and a boosted Knowledge +3.

Again?

It’s called “Like a Dragon.” You know, the one by that famous director. It’s a summer special feature, and I’ve been curious about it for a while. Want to take this chance and go see it?

Let’s meet in front of the movie theater in Shinjuku.
I wonder what kind of movie it is. *yawn* We should get to sleep.

Can’t sleep, cat. Date with Makoto tomorrow.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

Why does Maaku keep his phone in his pocket when he goes to bed

as an entitled youth I must always be texting

what is "book"

how do you plug it in

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Only a subject naked as the day they were born can convey the true anguish of birth! Now then… strip! Take it all-- Actually, perhaps not. Being found stark-naked in a church would be even bigger news than the Phantom Thieves.

This almost makes me think the scenario in his chapter was innocent.

Almost.

Still a pretty sleazy thing to do regardless.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Arist posted:

Now, raise your hands higher! More… Give me more anguish…! Bring it to its upper limits! Like this!

Wha--

Yusuke might not be mi favorite, but he does definitely have his moments :allears:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Honestly as hilarious as Futaba's Convenient Coma is, I actually can kinda relate. Got something important to do, but you're so tired that you just need one more hour of sleep, which turns into three, and by that point, gently caress it, you may as well spend the whole day in bed...A whole month is kind of stretching it, though. :v:

Also everything about Yusuke makes me wish he hadn't been such an rear end in a top hat in his intro chapter. Him being a clueless, harmless art nerd is the best.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Arist posted:

A while? What the hell does that mean?

She's watching the Dota 2 finals and can't be disturbed.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PoptartsNinja posted:

"I tried to watch the entire group stages of The International and all I got was this lousy sleep disorder?"

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
that delayed 'something salty' response is indeed great

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

RabidWeasel posted:

"I tried to watch the entire group stages of The International and all I got was this lousy sleep disorder?"

Be fair, she's a Japanese hikikomori who's probably an otaku to boot. She'd more likely be binge-watching the new season of Featherman, then shitposting (accurately) about it on the P5 version of 2channel, or aggressively making niconico or Line comments on Super Sentai vids.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 27, 2017

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Was "Like A Dragon" the movie Chie lent Yosuke, or am I misremembering?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Was "Like A Dragon" the movie Chie lent Yosuke, or am I misremembering?
That was called "Trial of the Dragon". However, Chie's theme in Persona 4 Arena is actually called "Like a Dragon", so I guess it still counts as a sort of reference.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Presumably it’s a series of action movies?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Presumably it’s a series of action movies?

This one in particular is pretty much a specific reference, but I'll wait for the movie in question to be shown in the next update before I elaborate, if Arist doesn't get to it himself.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It'll be clear as soon as you hear the voice clip and Makoto talks about the plot of the movie. Not gonna spoil it because it's one of the best little things in this game.

Also a small thing that's fun: as you see, Mishima sent Maaku a second "hello? what are you doing today?" text as soon as he woke up. You can actually just "respond later" to any text message in the game, and if you go back tor eading that chat the next day, most characters will have some sort of "hello? are you there?" triple or quadruple post because you're leaving them hanging. :allears: You don't even get notifications about those so Maaku is the kind of guy who off-screen canonically reads his friends' messages without responding to them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I meant in universe that they're parts of a series, not what they're referencing out of universe.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Kind of jarring to see an anime do something with Christianity that's not... uh some bizarro appropriation of symbols without any rhyme or reason. That's actually legit dealing with Christian beliefs.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think that while you can criticize the persona devs for some old-fashioned attitudes like the gay jokes or Yusuke's initial behavior, they often seem to put a lot of thought and research into foreign deities and religions. Probably spilled over from compiling lists of demons or personas in their games for so long (often with descriptions changing between games, so they're reviewing them every so often.) Their knowledge of Greek myths and motifs in Persona 3, or indeed Western fiction and Christianity in most of their games, are testaments to that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Deltasquid posted:

I think that while you can criticize the persona devs for some old-fashioned attitudes like the gay jokes or Yusuke's initial behavior, they often seem to put a lot of thought and research into foreign deities and religions. Probably spilled over from compiling lists of demons or personas in their games for so long (often with descriptions changing between games, so they're reviewing them every so often.) Their knowledge of Greek myths and motifs in Persona 3, or indeed Western fiction and Christianity in most of their games, are testaments to that.

Atlus itself has definitely done its research since it's not just limited to Persona; the Hindu elements in Digital Devil Saga are quite extensive.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

They might be kind of inconsistent about it sometimes though, since I know there was griping about some of the demons added to Deep Strange Journey Redux.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Atlus is kinda garbage with judaism though, so let’s not get hasty in our praise here

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Compared to his usual role in party scenes where he's this one-note "Have I mentioned I want to eat?" character, I kind of prefer Yusuke in his Confidant scenes here since he feels like an actual character.

So wait, maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but isn't the deadline to finish Futaba's palace about two days before the deadline with Medjed? Assuming that Futaba will recover the day after her own deadline, won't the team not have enough time to find out Medjed's identity and do something about them?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

amigolupus posted:

Compared to his usual role in party scenes where he's this one-note "Have I mentioned I want to eat?" character, I kind of prefer Yusuke in his Confidant scenes here since he feels like an actual character.

So wait, maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but isn't the deadline to finish Futaba's palace about two days before the deadline with Medjed? Assuming that Futaba will recover the day after her own deadline, won't the team not have enough time to find out Medjed's identity and do something about them?

Hey we already changed a heart. No use worrying about what to do next or make backup plans. Can only dick around for a month until Futaba wakes up long enough to do something besides scarf down a plate of curry.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Deltasquid posted:

There's a pair of outright offensive gay caricature characters in this game on its own. It's definitely more than just "gay jokes" and Yosuke’s homophobia.

That doesn’t even crack the surface with what Atlus put into the Catherine remaster; their regression on LGBT characters is only getting worse.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 28, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ubiquitous_ posted:

It's definitely more than just "gay jokes" and Yusuke's homophobia.

Are you thinking of Yosuke because Yusuke has many faults but I don't recall homophobia being one of them.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Yep, that’s my bad. Total typo.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

There's a pair of outright offensive gay caricature characters in this game on its own. It's definitely more than just "gay jokes" and Yosuke’s homophobia.

That doesn’t even crack the surface with what Atlus put into the Catherine remaster; their regression on LGBT characters is only getting worse.

What have they added to the remaster? I haven't found any details beyond a third Catherine.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Spuzzz posted:

What have they added to the remaster? I haven't found any details beyond a third Catherine.

From how it’s been presented in trailers so far, the third Catherine is transgender. But not transgender in an open-minded sense, but more in the “she’s a trap” sense.

How the game handles it is still a question mark, but the initial impression is not good.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

From how it’s been presented in trailers so far, the third Catherine is transgender. But not transgender in an open-minded sense, but more in the “she’s a trap” sense.

How the game handles it is still a question mark, but the initial impression is not good.

i'm not optimistic given the trailer, but i want to believe
i thought the portrayal of the trans character in the original game was almost a decent inclusion for the time the game came out, just kind of fell on it's face at the finish line

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's also possible that the new girl is an angel and follows biblical canon in not actually having anything down there

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

AriadneThread posted:

i'm not optimistic given the trailer, but i want to believe
i thought the portrayal of the trans character in the original game was almost a decent inclusion for the time the game came out, just kind of fell on it's face at the finish line

and that's the frustrating part, she's basically the only decent trans character in a video game that isn't super-loving niche (Catherine's pretty niche, but Atlus is still a well-known studio), given every other character was just crossdressing (even Robin Newman in DD whose would plotline would've made a 1000x more sense if she was actually trans instead of her parents being weird misogynists).

And that there's this decent trans character in a game that's literally built on the madonna/whore complex

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 28, 2017

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

she's a decent trans character except that the game still says "haha she's actually a man" soooooooooo

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

she's a decent trans character except that the game still says "haha she's actually a man" soooooooooo

yeah, like you can read it as the Big Bad being so assbackwards to think it, but the game sure as hell pulled that in the end. They came so close - and then wham, they faceplanted at the finish.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
...I wanted to believe that bit was a reference to that persona 3 comic with orobas. But upon further comparison, it's probably not.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, like you can read it as the Big Bad being so assbackwards to think it, but the game sure as hell pulled that in the end. They came so close - and then wham, they faceplanted at the finish.

I continue to cling to that reading as hard as I possibly can.

It's not rational, but I'd like to believe Catherine's better than it is about Erica.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I... definitely think that it could be handled better, but I've always taken the scene at the Order Ending in the 'best' interpretation that Toby and Erica are comfortable enough with eachother and her trans-ness that they can joke about it, or at worst, he's a bit self-conscious about it. For all Toby's remarks, he seems to be pretty at ease with Erica keeping her arms around him. Seems like it's more a case of Atlus being tone-deaf than outright transphobic?

On the other hand, 'hey, trans people, you should be fine with your friends being ashamed to being filmed with you, but at lest they're willing to keep hanging out' is also not exactly a good message.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 82: 7/30-8/1: I’m Not One Of Those Devilishly Charming Phantom Thieves, No Sir

Like A Dragon

Music: Break it Down

Th-That is, a famous director was responsible for this movie. Who wouldn’t want to see it…? Why are you looking at me like that? Let’s go inside already!

Music: A three second loop of “Sauna” from Persona 4

Look how into this Makoto is. It’s adorable.

Gangster voice: *laughing* You try to cut ties with me, then you come back for more? I’ll kill you! *two gunshots*
Protagonist voice: Boss! Boss! No… That bastard shot him! Boooooooss!

In case it wasn’t already clear, “Like A Dragon” is the English translation of Ryu ga Gotoku, the Japanese name for the Yakuza series, also owned by Sega. The “famous director” Makoto mentioned is a reference to Takashi Miike, who directed the live-action movie based on the first game in the series.

Makoto’s fists have been clenched this entire time… Whatever she said before about the director was probably just an excuse. She loves this stuff…
I feel like I learned more about the determination that the yakuza have...

Maaku gains Guts +3.

…… Um… Do you think it’s weird if a girl likes movies like this?

Thanks… I think this is the first time I’ve been told that. Sorry that I called you over so suddenly. It felt weird watching a yakuza film all by myself… I had fun, though, thanks to you. OK, let’s start heading home.

HOT NIGHT

Can Yellow Owl overcome the curry, or will he explode first? Revive and fight, Phoenix Rangers! Next episode… When It Comes to Curry, Always Bet on Yellow.”

Phoenix Rangers sounds badass. I wish Power Rangers was more like this.

Music: Time to Repent

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

...Huh? Um, please wash it.
I can’t believe that you’re really here… in a church… I read on the internet that you pray to God for victory. Is that true?
No…
Can I take a selfie with you and post it online?
Sorry, I’ve been turning down all such requests…
By the way, is it true that you’re trying to become a professional shogi player?
Well, nothing’s been…
I’ll be cheering for you to qualify! You’d be the first woman to surpass the third-dan league! I really believe in you!
...Thank you very much.

Men like that approach me all the time. At first, I thought you were one of them… ...I really must apologize for being rude to you… It bothers me when people make such a big fuss over me… Considering that the priest is doing me a great favor by letting me play here… You see, he’s my shogi friend. And he’s very kind. He once told me that he wanted to be a professional player. ...And he doesn’t laugh at my embarrassing habit when we play together.

Hey! I only laugh at you internally!

I’m embarrassed just thinking about it… Did you see it…? It was called “The Venus of Shogi”...

Please stop… Ever since I won the female shogi league, I’ve been getting a lot of attention. I just figured I could contribute to the shogi world… Besides, my mother seems to be very happy… Whenever I win, she rejoices as if it were her own victory… So I want to live up to the expectations she has for me… ...However, she’s been a bit overzealous lately. She set up the interview and photoshoot. It’s as if she wants to be the manager of a celebrity.

...But it’s fine, because it’s for my mother.

Today, I’ll be showing you something very practical… It’s a tactic for using the reserved pawns you’ve taken from your opponent in a more effective way. Nevertheless… I apologize. You’re such a good listener, I feel at ease speaking with you… Aside from the priest, you’re actually the first person I’ve spoken to about my mother…
I feel Hifumi’s trust in me growing...

More opportunities for follow-up attacks, always nice. Basically, this skill allows the occasional chance for a backup party member to pop up and shoot the enemy with you to knock them down.

Are you ready…?
I feel like playing shogi with Hifumi has helped sharpen my Knowledge...

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Well then, I look forward to our next match.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

It seems that the world will be affected by all this… Don’t you think so too?

Heh… A refreshingly honest answer. That kind of innocence is a privilege of the young. At any rate they’ve a strong impression on the hearts of the people. If this were a film, the Phantom Thieves got the opening sequence right. Let’s see what’s next. Well, I’ll be going home then.

Time for aojiru! Maaku gains Charm +1.

Please, Maaku. I will need your help again. Could you join me.
I feel like my bond with Yusuke will grow stronger soon, but...

But…?

I am in your debt. It seems the answer may have been right under my nose the whole time. You will see soon enough. Follow me.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

The truth is, despite my best efforts to convey the meaning of the heart, I am no closer to understanding it. Such a troublesome roadblock never presented itself to me while I was living here… As you know, I spent most of my young life in this very house. That is why we have come now. I wish to reevaluate myself within its decrepit walls. By coming to this place, I may be able to rekindle the passion for art I once held. The passion of an inquiring mind on the hunt for pure beauty… before I learned of Madarame’s foul nature.

No… I surely left it unlocked. What…? The door has jammed!? Hm… I suppose it was quite an old door to begin with. It had begun to rust even while I was a pupil here. It seems now it has finally broken.

That is a nice idea, but I am unfortunately not the owner of the house. I cannot call a locksmith. I wish I could fix it myself… But I struggle with mechanisms as complex as this. I do not have the steady hand required to mend them.

...You’re an artist.

I need to fix the door… But I don’t think I’ll be able to with my current Proficiency… I might be able to fix it if my Proficiency were Masterful

Masterful is Rank 4, for the record.

Hm… This is a difficult problem. It seems we have no choice but to retreat for today.

And so the great and powerful Phantom Thieves are obstructed by a broken door. This event is unique, however, in that it lets us go right back to roaming instead of consuming time.

Music: Big Bang Burger March

So instead, we head over to Big Bang Burger to partake in the feast of our people.

The lady informs us that the special promotion (where the trial only costs 500 yen) does not apply because it’s not night, but we don’t care.

As you are a Second Mate, the difficulty of the mission will be increased. The challenge will cost 1500 yen.

As you have moved up to the rank of Second Mate… this is your next foe!

Holy crap! It’s humongous...
This is the Gravity Burger… A burger so large that it almost has its own gravitational field. Once again, this will be no easy feat to overcome. But should you conquer this challenge, you will be rewarded with an extravagant prize.
So this one comes with a prize too… Do your best, Maaku!
Well then, it’s time to get the thirty-minute Big Bang Challenge started! Ready… Go!

Music: High Pressure

All this meat makes sense for a challenge of such cosmic proportions…!

God, Maaku’s a fuckin’ dork.

It looks good, but it’s so big...

Y-You… You’ve done it again!

Music: Everyday Days

Since you managed to crush the Gravity Burger… I present to you the 1st Mate Badge!

It gives you +30 HP. It’s also garbage.

Enjoy your new rank as First Mate. However, one mission still remains… I look forward to your next attempt at our challenge!
You defeated the Gravity Burger this time… You’re incredible. You were so admirable, taking on such a daunting task with that intense level of courage!

Maaku gains Guts +2.

All right, we can finally turn in that loving paper bag to Iwai… when I feel like it.

Your pace, your strategy of using well-timed drinks, and just the spectacular way you devoured it… Everything was perfect!

Maaku gains Knowledge +2, Charm +2, and Proficiency +2.

And now we can also finally hang out with Takemi again.

Come on, we should head home. I’m full just from watching you...

Medjed hasn’t taken any action either…
I heard some company’s private data got leaked or something.
Did Medjed do that?
Are the Phantom Thieves sitting on their hands!? Do something!

You said that yesterday.

Yes, it seems the private dealings of a large corporation were publicly disclosed.

Indeed. I doubt they’d do anything before the deadline they imposed on us. This seems to be just a minor thing. Quite different from what Medjed has done up until now.
Is that so?
So it wasn’t Medjed? drat, that poo poo freaked me out!
It’s honestly kind of hard not having a knee-jerk reaction to this stuff nowadays…
Sometimes people react to these situations by pleading for help from the Phantom Thieves.
We need to find a way to stand up for them…

The Phantom Thieves, however, have gained popularity on the internet as “allies of justice.” Support for them is growing, with some saying they are the only ones who can defeat Medjed. The world will be watching what the Phantom Thieves do before the deadline on August 21st.
Everyone’s counting on us. We can’t let them down.

Yoshida’s available for the first time in a good while, so let’s go see him.

Be sure to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. You don’t want to get heat stroke… I received a dinner invitation from Dietman Matsushita. He would like for you to come as well. Let me know if you would like to attend. I’d be delighted if you would consider this as helping my campaign and join me...

Then I’ll make the call. It’ll be at a hotel nearby.

Music: Alleycat

I see…
He plans for his grandson, who’s also in our party, to take his place…
Unfortunately, this is all beyond me now...

\

I invited you along because I wanted to ask you something. ...What do you think about the Phantom Thieves?

Uhhhhh

I’d like to hear your honest opinion. As a young man, are you for or against them?

They sound really cool, and I bet their leader’s super handsome and smells great

Most people who want to get into politics are jealous of them.
What about you?
However they manage to change hearts, I respect their belief in crushing evil and saving the weak.
Isn’t that similar to what you advocate?
I can’t deny that. But that’s not why I support them… I bet they’re a group of young people. Young people who have experienced cruelty and injustice… They bravely face the societal ills that plague our world without thinking of the consequences. Brave, yet pitiful… I suppose.

Tora…

So the former Diet member who was disgraced by scandals is going to side with them, huh?
...Is this what you asked me here to speak to me about?
No… The party has decided which candidates it will back in the various electoral zones.
And…?
One of our main candidates will represent this area, according to the party’s election strategy. You have no chance of winning.

I won’t beat around the bush. Drop out of the election, and become my right-hand man.

Music: Confession/Secret

It won’t be for naught. I’ll put in a motion to have you reinstated as a party member. And I will perform an extensive investigation into your expense misappropriation accusations.
(shocked) Matsushita…
You’d finally be able to clear your name. Think about it.

I expect he’s trying to take advantage of me… That happens a lot in this world. What would you do at a time like this, Hamiru-kun?

Above all, I wish to continue speaking with you. You have such a fresh outlook on the world.
I feel like my bond with Yoshida is growing deeper...

Let’s finish up for today. Sorry I made you tag along. I’ll see you again soon.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Your house manages to be cool despite this heat. There’s a book I want to read, and should something happen, I would be ready in case we must assemble. If it works with your schedule, we could hang out. Until then, good day.
*yawn* I’m going to bed…

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Oh, and I brought an art book I would like to read with you…
I may be able to improve my Charm if I read a book with Yusuke… Furthermore, this may be a good chance to deepen my bond with him...
If we are not planning to infiltrate today, why don’t we search for ideas between the pages of this book?

We could use the Charm, but we have other plans today.

Very well. Be sure to contact the others if you wish to hold a meeting. Ah, and you needn’t mind me. I will simply be here gazing at the “Sayuri” in the meantime.

Sorry, Yusuke, but it’s cool that you’re chill about it. One good thing about this game is that people (generally, there are some exceptions) don’t get super bummed when you don’t put them in the party or hang out.

Maaku gains Charm +1 and Knowledge +3.

Laaaaaaaterrrr.

...”Medjed.” They are a notorious hacker group whose members’ identities are still unknown. Medjed has carried out numerous cyberterrorism attacks and become known around the world. However, it is still unknown why they intend to attack Japan.
Our opponents are pretty famous, too. If they wanna fight, then let’s do it fair and square!

Music: Time to Repent

It’s even hotter this summer. You have more aptitude for this than I imagined. I also sense an ambitious spirit within you. I should’ve taken into account your improvement throughout our lessons. I have something in mind, but let’s play a match first… In fact, let’s play right now.

After we finish this match, let’s go to a second-hand bookstore.

New spot unlocked!

Today I thought we’d find you something to help you train on your own. This bookstore is filled with shogi-related books. I’ve been coming here a lot lately. There’s also a curry restaurant just around the corner. I recommend their katsu curry. I always eat katsu curry before an important match… for good luck.

Hifumi...

Music: Suspicion

What are you talking about? Today’s our day off.
...My apologies. I forgot that there aren’t any matches scheduled for today...
Out shopping with your boyfriend? Hmph, how nice for you. I shouldn’t be surprised. You ARE a famous shogi player, after all. Well, I won’t intrude. Bye...

She’s my senior… I defeated her in a recent title match.

Yes! I did have katsu curry before that match. The truth is… I’m not very well liked by my seniors… The more attention I get, the more enemies I make, and the more lies are spread about me… Perhaps it’s odd to compare myself to them, but… I wonder if it’s the same for the Phantom Thieves.

People are so divided about them on the internet. Some love them, while others hate them… I can’t help but see similarities between us. What do you think about them?

Man, this session has been all about people just randomly asking us about the Phantom Thieves. Do you think they’re onto us?

It’s amazing that they’re still doing what they do, even though so many people criticize them… They give me courage. But their victories can’t be won with will alone… How do they change a person’s heart…? I’m interested from a tactical standpoint, and… Oh, I’m sorry! We really are quite off-topic… I feel like I’ve become much more talkative as of late. I usually don’t talk this much… You’re more than just someone I can practice new moves with. You’re someone I can confide in. Um, if you don’t mind this sort of thing… I’d like to go out and chat with you again.
I feel Hifumi’s trust in me growing...

Oh yes, there’s a book that I’d love for you to read. Let’s go. Well then, until our next match. Take care.

No Knowledge boost today, despite us explicitly having played a match. What a ripoff.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 25, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I heard the leader of the Phantom Thieves has an eight pack and a nice car and girls like him.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hifumi should've been a party member. Or Tora, maybe.

Arist posted:

Music: A three second loop of “Sauna” from Persona 4

if this one is the saxophoney dungeon intro, it's called Muscle Blues

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Hifumi should have replaced Yusuke, yes

he's so much better in his slink scenes and you could probably keep those almost the same, plus it's not like he actually contributes anything to party dynamic as is