Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Welcome to the Hood - Let's Play Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

A little background

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010) was the third mainline entry in the Assassin's Creed series, and the first direct sequel. In this entry, previous protagonist Ezio Auditore da Firenze finds himself forced to come to Rome to confront the growing power of Pope Alexander VI, also known as Rodrigo Borgia, leader of the Italian Templars, as well as his son, the ambitious Cesare . He'll have to reunite with old allies and make new friends to break the power of the corrupt family and return Rome to glory. He'll explore ancient Roman ruins, underground catacombs, the sprawling streets of Rome, and the Vatican itself to uncover all its secrets.

LP structure

Very similar to my previous Assassin's Creed threads: Revelations (the sequel to this game), and Black Flag. By which I mean, I'll show off all the collectibles, main story / additional missions, with 100% completion of both, etc. Basically 100% completion, insofar as it is remotely interesting for anyone to see the results off.

Spoiler policy

I'm kinda in a weird position here, since both of the Assassin's Creed games I've already LP'd are both after this game in the timeline. I will deliver commentary as if I don't know what's coming, with the knowledge that I do in fact know what's coming next. So basically, anything for the first Assassin's Creed or II is fine, anything that happens in the modern day plot or the Rome plot in this game, or anything after, is off-limits.

With all that said, let's begin another wonderful dive into the height of the Italian Renaissance.

Updates

Part I - Home Sweet Home
Part II - Shelter
Part III - The Eternal City
Part IV - Room in Rome
Part V - Centro of the Action
Part VI - Roman Underground
Part VII - The Copernicus Conspiracy
Part VIII - Raid on the Castello
Part XIX - Roman Underground II
Part X - The Mentor's...Difficulties
Part XI - Ezio Auditore - On the Warpath
Part XII - Flashforward
Part XIII - The Banker
Part XIV - For the Ladies - Part 1
Part XV - Frenchmen at the Gates
Part XVI - The Baron
Part XVII - Clearing Out Campagna
Part XVIII - Annexing Antico
Part XIX - For the Ladies - Part 2
Part XX - For the Ladies - Part 3
Part XXI - Training Day
Part XXII - Odds and Ends
Part XXIII - Power Play
Part XXIV - Vatican Vacation
Part XXV - The Truth
Part XXVI - The Da Vinci Trail
Part XXVII - The Da Vinci Appearance
Part XXVIII - The Thieves
Part XXIX - Downfall
Part XXX - An Apple A Day...

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part I - Home Sweet Home

Upon completing his mission to Rome at the end of Assassin's Creed II, Ezio carves a bloody path out of the Vatican and returns home to Monteriggioni, content that his mission is done and he can relax. But trouble is never far behind Ezio Auditore's path... With our old pal Toffile.

Click picture or link for video
No commentary over cutscenes

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part II - Shelter

After leaving our old friend Ezio on the road to Rome, we return to the modern day to set up the framing device for this game. Desmond and pals arrive in modern-day Monteriggioni to set up the Animus away from the prying eyes of the modern-day Knights Templar so the search for Ezio's elusive Apple can begin in full. Of course, we'll also catch up with eternal sidekicks Shaun and Rebecca. Toffile as always.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, "this mansion and obvious lower tunnel entrance was left untouched for hundreds of years" is a bit of a reach but sure, I guess it lets them reuse the building models for that area.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part III - The Eternal City

Returning to the Italian Renaissance, Ezio wakes up in Rome and immediately dons his Assassin robes to begin the fight against the Borgia, again. He'll soon meet up with Machiavelli, and learn just how much toll the Borgia have taken on the ancient capital of the Roman Empire. In spite of how much they've done, and continue to do, the people's will has not been completely broken, and Ezio begins to see the signs of a counterattack. Same partner as always.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part IV - Room in Rome

Where Ezio gets back on track, he journeys to a quiet corner of the Antico District to have an encounter with the mysterious Followers of Romulus, who are making various lairs in Rome their homes. Our hero begins discovering some of the city's secret history as the Assassins acquire their base of operations in the Eternal City. However, there is still a lot of work to be done, and whether it can be done by a single man, remains to be seen. The usual in terms of guests.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You cut out a lot more commentary than that over cutscenes in the cut version, just fyi.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Thesaya posted:

You cut out a lot more commentary than that over cutscenes in the cut version, just fyi.

Intentional. The tombs have some really nice ambiance, and cutting out commentary there seems natural for people who just want to enjoy it.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Sylphid posted:

Intentional. The tombs have some really nice ambiance, and cutting out commentary there seems natural for people who just want to enjoy it.

Ah. Are you going to do the same for all tombs? Because personally I find tombs kind of boring after the first few.

I mean, I could just do the same thing as I did today and change to the other vid for that bit otherwise.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The audio in part 4 sounds pretty messed up (bad mic settings?). It's quite distracting.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part V: Centro of the Action

In today's outing, we spend almost all of our time seeing many of the sights of the Centro District, the heart of Roma and home to most her people. We'll also begin the long task of rebuilding the Brotherhood from scratch in the city, by gathering support from everyone's favorite NPC faction and having some old friends return to the city.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Thesaya posted:

Ah. Are you going to do the same for all tombs? Because personally I find tombs kind of boring after the first few.

I mean, I could just do the same thing as I did today and change to the other vid for that bit otherwise.

It'll depend. There's some really nice atmosphere in some of them, but yeah, many of them are just really quiet without commentary. Case by case.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Sylphid posted:

It'll depend. There's some really nice atmosphere in some of them, but yeah, many of them are just really quiet without commentary. Case by case.

Sounds good!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VI - Roman Underground

When you're an Assassin, and especially an Assassin in the middle of enemy territory, you often can't pick your friends. Luckily for Ezio, he's got more than a few friends among Rome's underworld to help his intelligence gathering / war-making on the Templars. We meet two of them in this video, in fact, and delve into the depths of the Roman Catacombs to confront the Followers of Romulus again.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VII - The Copernicus Conspiracy

]No commentary over cutscenes

Along with a few extra activities, this video focuses, mostly, on The Copernicus Conspiracy missions, which were included as DLC for the original PS3 release as a bonus pack of missions, promised to be about an hour's worth of content. It is, but only for how frustrating some of the bonus objectives are, I suppose. They are no one's idea of the best missions ever designed, because, (just in terms of the bonus objectives), they range from extremely easy to *quite* hard. Problem is, they're just not overly compelling, but duty calls.

Quite glad to be done with them, to be quite honest.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part VIII: Raid on the Castello

Ezio Auditore, having gathered old friends and new among Rome's underground, leads his most ambitious operation in the city yet: a raid on the Papal residence, the Castel Sant'Angelo, in the heart of the Vaticano District, to liberate his ally Catarina Sforza from the Borgia's clutches. Along the way, he'll learn a bit more about the behind-the-scenes life of the Borgia family and, okay, maybe kill a dude or two.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I know I'm super late on this, but I just started watching the first episode and that weird clown face NPC from Ezio Collection AC2 was brought up in the commentary.

That ridiculous face actually was in the original AC2 as well, but you might not have seen it because the appearance of minor NPCs is largely random (not to mention that the original AC2 looks a lot darker and muddier compared to the Ezio Collection, so it would've been harder to notice), and there's a good chance you'd never see him in the Ezio Collection version either because the NPC algorithms still work the same way. Ubisoft removed the face in a patch after that Polygon video on the Ezio Collection caused some minor nerdrage.

I will say, though, that the faces in the Ezio Collection version of AC2 do look kind of weird and terrifying in general.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part IX: Roman Underground II

Many large European cities that have been inhabited since Roman times and before have large catacombs beneath the streets, and the Eternal City itself is no exception. Ezio will make his way deep into Rome's heart, and discovers a bit more than he was probably counting on...

Also, my access to my Microsoft account was down for more than a month, hence the unacceptable delay. The good news is that in the meanwhile, I've basically recorded the rest of the game. Only a little more video content is left to record.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 31, 2019

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
The Mentor's...Difficulties

Being a Mentor to up-and-coming Assassins isn't easy, as Ezio will learn to painfully here. Newbie Assassin recruits are handy on their own, but calling them into a mob of dudes is not a particularly good idea. Unfortunately, that's just what I do...three times. Well, in any case, they contributed to the Liberation of Roma. In addition, Ezio finally makes contact with his estranged friend, and he's got more than a few things he can do for us, and some stuff he wants us to do for him. Luckily, I'm happy to oblige.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XI: Ezio Auditore - On the Warpath

The infamous War Machine missions, at least 3 out of 4 of them. Ezio goes around breaking stuff, this time murdering with far more efficiency. The tank mission, as we discussed, is by far the hardest of the bunch, at least when it comes to the bonus objective. It's nice to have variations on gameplay, but nicer checkpoints would be good. Well, I got it done quickly enough.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 25, 2017

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Don't know if it was an oversight or a choice but there was literally no gameplay audio in this last video, only the commentary. Or if there was game audio, it was way too silent.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 20, 2017

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Sorry about that. It's been fixed.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XII: Flashforward

After rescuing Catarina Sforza, Ezio decides to sit down with his advisors and plan out a course of action: undermine Cesare's finances, his French allies, and regain access to the Castel Sant'Angelo to begin retaking Rome from the Borgia. But never mind that, along the way to begin working on the first part, Ezio flashes forward to a few years later, in which he touches base with Leonardo again and discovers a little problem...

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIII - The Banker

With the plan to undermine Cesare Borgia's army and stature in place, Ezio begins the first step: saving the embattled senator Edigio Troche from the Borgia, and using him as a means to gain access to Juan Borgia, who currently finances his brother's vicious campaign across Italy. Ezio plans to deliver his first major blow to the cause of Italian unification under the Borgia.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIV: For the Ladies - Part 1

While continuing to undermine the Borgias, it's important to mind your allies. Ezio goes to the assistance of the Courtesans, to strengthen their hold on the flesh trade and keep them as valuable allies to the Brotherhood. On the side, he'll revisit some painful memories from the past.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XV: Frenchmen at the Gates

With the financial base of Cesare undermined, Ezio seeks to undermine the next card in his rival's hand, the support of the French army under the command of the Baron de Valois. His army is a threat to the liberation of Rome, and with Bartolomeo's help, he seeks to bring it down. We'll have to get our old friend out of a few jams, but nothing Ezio's not used to with his hot-headed pal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sylphid posted:

The tank mission, as we discussed, is by far the hardest of the bunch, at least when it comes to the bonus objective.

How is the flying machine not the hardest machine mission? The only way I managed to beat it was by literally kamikaze bombing the targets.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alhazred posted:

How is the flying machine not the hardest machine mission? The only way I managed to beat it was by literally kamikaze bombing the targets.

controls aside the enemy ai sucks at targeting and it's really loving hard to get hit and lose the bonus objective

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The controls are really loving annoying though. Especially when you have to hit moving targets.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Also crashing because of the terrible controls doesn't actually cause the bonus objective to fail.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I don't really care about the bonus objectives though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sylphid posted:

The tank mission, as we discussed, is by far the hardest of the bunch, at least when it comes to the bonus objective.

Alhazred posted:

Alhazred posted:

I don't really care about the bonus objectives though.

:thunk:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XVIII: The Baron

With the Baron's forces weakened, Ezio plans on delivering the coup de grace to the French army stationed in Rome. Going incognito, he'll infiltrate the French camp and assassinate the Baron de Valois and rescue Bartolomeo's wife. If he's successful, he can take out a key part of Cesare's army right from under his nose.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIX: Clearing Out Campagna

The first of two big collectathon videos. With nearly the entire map opened up for us, the idea here is to clean up any loose ends, including feathers (I actually forget one, but don't realize until much later where it is), flags, Borgia Towers, Lairs of Romulus, anything. Campagna has a lot of open area, so a horse is near mandatory to quickly survey the area.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
As an artist, just a few seconds before your co-commentator (sorry I can't remember his name, it is not in the OP or mentioned often enough for me to remember it,) said it I mentally went "Yeah, nice sienna!"
Ochre is a much more yellow earth colour, with some orange hue to it. I mean, you probably don't care but I felt like pointing that out.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Thesaya posted:

As an artist, just a few seconds before your co-commentator (sorry I can't remember his name, it is not in the OP or mentioned often enough for me to remember it,) said it I mentally went "Yeah, nice sienna!"
Ochre is a much more yellow earth colour, with some orange hue to it. I mean, you probably don't care but I felt like pointing that out.

It's important to be exact about such things.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXVIII - Annexing Antico

Long overdue, our second collecathon video, this time in the Antico District. This is the last major one, since this update will clear out the vast majority of the stray collectibles out in the main world map, with the remaining Lairs of Romulus being the final batch needed (as well as a few feathers). Feels nice to have found all those Borgia Flags all on my own.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
So, approximately, how far into the game are we at this point? It feels like we are past the halfway point but that might just be because of how thorough you are being.
...to be honest, it's been so long that I only vaguely remember the main plot right now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Thesaya posted:

So, approximately, how far into the game are we at this point? It feels like we are past the halfway point but that might just be because of how thorough you are being.
...to be honest, it's been so long that I only vaguely remember the main plot right now.

one more memory sequence before the end game starts plus one more mandatory desmond sequence iirc

sequence 1 is the coda from 2 in monteriggoine, sequence 2 is intro to Rome, sequence 3 is Brothoerhood formation, 4 is rescuing Catarina, 5 through 7 are dismantling Cesare's army and benefactors

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XIX: For the Ladies, Part 2

Continuing the adventure to undermine the Borgia, Ezio continues helping out the Courtesan guild as some rowdy guests come into town. There's a lot to help out, and this won't be the last part of the the Courtesan guild's missions.