Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«159 »
FaustianQ
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

No, Raja Kodouri. It's all been a long con since RTG got snubbed funds in 2014, and now as CEO of Intel he shall have his vengeance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Jim Keller is gonna be Intel's next CEO actually.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

That would be the darkest timeline.

I imagine Keller being locked in a literal ivory tower, the CEO of the company, but unable to leave or work on chip design for fear of it getting into the hands of AMD.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Measly Twerp posted:

I just moved back from Europe to Australia, but I managed to leave the part of my motherboard that the cooler screws onto behind. I've currently got my computer set up open air on top of the motherboard box with the cooler simply held down by gravity. The temperatures are actually quite good, hitting about 30C at idle.

Should I even bother asking ASRock if they can send me a replacement? What other options are there?

Which model? I just took one off my x470 and may work since I went with a corsair water cooler.

FaustianQ
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

You can't contain Jim Keller, he'll just drag the entire company to his next gig like a bull dragging a hapless clown. Intel would just be his own personal fab for eleventy billion ARM designs.

Speaking of which I still want to see K17, wonder how it would compare to Cavium or Qualcomm designs.

Measly Twerp
Nov 5, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

Which model? I just took one off my x470 and may work since I went with a corsair water cooler.

ASRock AB350 Pro4. What water cooler did you go with that doesn't require the back plate? I'd like to go back to water cooling as I'm sure in summer that'll be quieter than the stock cooler fan.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Measly Twerp posted:

ASRock AB350 Pro4. What water cooler did you go with that doesn't require the back plate? I'd like to go back to water cooling as I'm sure in summer that'll be quieter than the stock cooler fan.

Corsair i80, it came with one. I'll try to remember to take a picture. Email my user name at gmail.com

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

Blub

So who bought Ryzen+. and did you get 2700 or 2700x?

SourKraut
Nov 20, 2005

I'M FLYING TO HARDEE'S

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

So who bought Ryzen+. and did you get 2700 or 2700x?

I bought a 2700X, paired with a ASUS Crosshair VII Hero.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

Blub

SourKraut posted:

I bought a 2700X, paired with a ASUS Crosshair VII Hero.

Nice board. Have you had success with ram speeds?

Kinda hoping I can crank the ram speed up when my parts come next week. I have some good ram ready to use.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

HAIL SATAN

ufarn posted:

Any last-minute advice before I attempt to fix a few crooked pins on my Ryzen CPU? Iíll be very careful, but more than that is needed when a 100% success rate is required.

Iíll be wiggling a toiny flat iFixit screwdriver to bring them upright, then Iíll use a rolled out boxcutter to align them properly. Still donít know whether, when nor how they might break though.

That sounds a lot like the procedure I used to use salvaging CPUs at a recycling place - I used a probe and a standard razorblade. I was usually successful, too - hope you had good luck with this.

SourKraut
Nov 20, 2005

I'M FLYING TO HARDEE'S

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Nice board. Have you had success with ram speeds?

Kinda hoping I can crank the ram speed up when my parts come next week. I have some good ram ready to use.

Honestly I just bought a set of G.Skill 3200 MHz 2x 8 GB CAS 14 modules that have Samsung B-die, set ASUSí equivalent to XMP to 3200 mhz, and let it be. Has been working great and havenít had any issues so far.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Aug 22, 2004

Blub

SourKraut posted:

Honestly I just bought a set of G.Skill 3200 MHz 2x 8 GB CAS 14 modules that have Samsung B-die, set ASUS’ equivalent to XMP to 3200 mhz, and let it be. Has been working great and haven’t had any issues so far.

I have some b die too. I'm really looking forward to this upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ufarn posted:

Any last-minute advice before I attempt to fix a few crooked pins on my Ryzen CPU?

I fixed a bent pin with a mechanical pencil -- remove the lead and then the tip was the perfect tool to slide onto an individual pin and bend it back.

This was more than a decade ago so pins were bigger and with more space between them. But it might still work if you had a .5mm ultra fine rotring or something like that.

FaustianQ posted:

I really hope AM5 has a better retention mechanism. Nothing wrong with PGA, just there really shouldn't be a risk of damage when just removing the cooler.

Use cheap / old-school thermal paste and the old-school minimal quantity application style. The newfangled pastes that 'cure' after heat have a number of good properties and advantages, but easy release is not one of them. If you're changing stuff out often enough that this is a concern, better to just accept the 1 degree extra heat and make removal easy on yourself.

(Personally I dislike curing pastes just because they're not shelf-stable.)

The common story was that mobo manufacturers like the PGA because it's cheaper and has less returns on their side, but couldn't you spec a socket to have pins but also a bracket retainer like the LGA types? Though that's also 25c extra cost just to prevent the occasional user fuckup.

«159 »