Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Statutory Ape posted:

"Sir, theres a patch approaching on sensors"

"Activate the secondary buffer"

E: When is DDR5 theoretically going to be a thing i can put in my PC?

End of 2021/2022? They're going to let Zen 3 sit out there for a year probably unless Intel suddenly catches up on literally anything but heat output.

e: This is just me guessing so :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Talking about 1st PCs, my first own PC was a hand-me-down 300Mhz Celeron starting with 32MB of RAM I think. Later upgraded to either 64MB or 128MB of RAM and added a Voodoo 3 2000 graphics card.
It was a fast as hell Win98 machine, though. Clear start-up junk, shortstroke the OS partition, run winalign.exe (or walign.bat from PC Mag) on all your .exe and .dll (and .scr) files from a separate Windows install (the short-sited tweak sites/mags of the time didn't take this critical step far enough), monitor boot-up file access order, defrag with O&O. Booted to idle in like 8 seconds and every app including Photoshop loaded literally instantly which was not at all the norm for machines the time (had to look up how to disable every splash screen).

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

gary oldmans diary posted:

Talking about 1st PCs, my first own PC was a hand-me-down 300Mhz Celeron starting with 32MB of RAM I think. Later upgraded to either 64MB or 128MB of RAM and added a Voodoo 3 2000 graphics card.
It was a fast as hell Win98 machine, though. Clear start-up junk, shortstroke the OS partition, run winalign.exe (or walign.bat from PC Mag) on all your .exe and .dll (and .scr) files from a separate Windows install (the short-sited tweak sites/mags of the time didn't take this critical step far enough), monitor boot-up file access order, defrag with O&O. Booted to idle in like 8 seconds and every app including Photoshop loaded literally instantly which was not at all the norm for machines the time (had to look up how to disable every splash screen).

Back then hitting the power button on your PC and having enough time to go make a sandwich before the user could do anything was a charming feature :colbert:

The first PC I built myself was a Celeron 300A on an Abit BH6 with 64MB RAM and a Monster 3d Voodoo paired with a Matrox Mystique 220 jammed into an Enlight case of some type - Maybe an early version of the 7237? I can't remember what the hard drive configuration was though.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

Back then hitting the power button on your PC and having enough time to go make a sandwich before the user could do anything was a charming feature :colbert:
My current PC boots in approximately sandwich-making time. Progress!

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Wrong thred lol

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bull3964 posted:

In the novelization of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, two of the Genesis scientists had a video game that they could only run in the Genesis core memory because of its size.

That unheard of size that caused David Marcus to exclaim "the program that swallowed Saturn."

50mb.

Technically it was just written as "50 megs" so it could be some future measurement, but you know at the time that wasn't what they were going for.

Well yeah but that’s just TOS, we are nowhere near Captain Sisko’s hard drive yet.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Killer robot posted:

Was it one of those full height 5.25" drives that sounded like an aircraft engine spinning up? I had one of those too. Though it was in the mid-90s since I picked up an ancient PC cheap.

i had one of those, i think it was a 40mb tho. the best thing about it was, it started acting up after a while because heads got broken or something. so what you did to get it reading at normal rates again is use your finger to bump the heads a bit and they'd reset position and start again

i ran it open on my desk like that for almost a year until i could get a replacement lmao

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
LOL at having a hard drive. How cute. I saved up my money so I could finally buy a second 5.25" floppy drive for my Atari 800. The drive was >$300 and was the size of a shoebox, but with it, I could finally start copying my friends' games in a serious way.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

My first computer was a vic20. I never got the tape drive so my 'storage' was a bigass book of line after line of, I think, basic.

But if we're just talking PCs, and just talking upgrades, my first PC was a P2 233mhz, 64mb ram and an 8gb hdd. At the time it was an absolute beast and put everyone else's computer to shame. Eventually though it wasn't cutting it, and ZDTV convinced me that AMD was the future. The 1ghz athlon thunderbird (I think?) came out and... 1ghz! Giga! So basically everything on that machine got replaced except the hdd. It didn't matter though, who needs better hard drives when you got stacks on stacks of zip disks.

I built a few more machines through college, and then went a long time before building a machine just recently. And now that I think about it I've never built an Intel machine. Not for any particular reason, just that every time I get back to building AMD happens to be on top again.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 17, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

We had a Commodore 64 with a 5.25 inch drive with its own aftermarket fan to sit on top and a 300 baud modem.

After that my younger brother bought a PC-compatible 8088 that had a hard drive and blazing fast 1200 baud modem that cost as much in like 1985 or whenever as my used car cost me. I spent so many hours in BBSes on that computer...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AARP LARPer posted:

LOL at having a hard drive. How cute. I saved up my money so I could finally buy a second 5.25" floppy drive for my Atari 800. The drive was >$300 and was the size of a shoebox, but with it, I could finally start copying my friends' games in a serious way.

if we're going that far back, my parents had to smuggle an old c64 floppy drive into the country, because it was extremely illegal in yugoslavia lmao

load times were amazing tho. tapes took forever, floppies were like a couple dozen seconds tops :v:
then we'd record software from the radio (yes, a radio just played back software after 10pm lol) and next day we'd copy it to a floppy and check out the new thing while the tape was ready for the next night

truly amazing days

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
An Amiga with a harddrive was the fastest booting graphical computer I'd ever seen until SSDs became the norm. Makes sense since much of the GUI is in the firmware, and the window manager was optionally loaded from floppies. Those computers were so ridiculously ahead of their time both in hardware architecture and OS architecture. Even now I think you need to use the quick boot feature in Windows 10 to be faster.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

My first computer was me, as I computed on my abacus. Let me tell you my abacus tales

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Truga posted:

then we'd record software from the radio (yes, a radio just played back software after 10pm lol) and next day we'd copy it to a floppy and check out the new thing while the tape was ready for the next night
incredible

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pixaal posted:

I don't think I've ever seen computers in fiction be anywhere near as powerful as they should be unless they don't really specify. They always forget to Moore's law which isn't perfect but c'mon it should get you a ballpark number and current computers shouldn't be able to catch up until the fictional date you are in.

Commander Data's stated storage and computation capabilities aren't quite as impossibly big to modern sensibilities as they probably were in the late eighties, but it's still pretty drat impressive that he packs all of it into a container the size of a human skull, and doesn't noticeably heat up the room just by thinking really hard.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Commander Data's stated storage and computation capabilities aren't quite as impossibly big to modern sensibilities as they probably were in the late eighties, but it's still pretty drat impressive that he packs all of it into a container the size of a human skull, and doesn't noticeably heat up the room just by thinking really hard.

Android is the superior OS after all

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I prefer the term "Artificial Person" myself.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Is there any evidence that AMD has problems with fabrication yields on their console chips, or are we just basing this on 4000 series APUs not being available to the enthusiast market? If that's true, that would have implications for the new AMD GPUs too, right?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I don't think we have the slightest idea how the Zen 3 release will go.

Hopefully better than the RTX 3080...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Vir posted:

Is there any evidence that AMD has problems with fabrication yields on their console chips, or are we just basing this on 4000 series APUs not being available to the enthusiast market? If that's true, that would have implications for the new AMD GPUs too, right?

Its not yields per wafer, its how many wafers they can get and how they choose to allocate them. Everyone wants TSMC's 7nm process, even Intel.

But we have no idea how the Zen3/5000 series CPU launches will go yet. Zen2 stock was pretty bad at launch (dogshit low stock launches are all the rage!), and has struggled this summer with Covid... but its generally been good, and absolutely better than Intel that cant keep fuckin anything in stock.

So who knows!

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I don't recall Zen 2 being that bad. I recall it was mainly the high end skus that you couldn't find. Mainstream 3600 and 3700, while not exactly overflowing, could be found if you persisted.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Considering Apple's moving to 5nm, Huawei were given the flick, and Nvidia settled for Samsung, you'd think AMD would have increased their share of TSMC's 7nm output.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, they have. Believe they are now TSMCs single largest booker at 7nm. But the consoles have also been mixed in for a few months too, and I’m not sure if those are been counted as separate orders or not. Would depend on the contracts this time. So still plenty of demand to go around.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

MikeC posted:

I don't recall Zen 2 being that bad. I recall it was mainly the high end skus that you couldn't find. Mainstream 3600 and 3700, while not exactly overflowing, could be found if you persisted.

I got one 3900X on release day, and one a week later. Then for a month there was only a trickle of them; like 10 a week would show up at my microcenter. After that, supply sprang back to "you'll almost certainly be able to get one" levels, and I got my last two.

At least that's how I remember it. But last year was, like, eleven years ago.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Vir posted:

There was some rumors about the ps5 chip yielding 50% a few days ago but I'm pretty sure that is because they are juicing the gpu clock because they went with a smaller CU design and need to keep up with the Xbox.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
50% yield for Sony due to the GPU clocks at this point in TSMC's 7nm process existence is proooobably wrong since it should be very mature by now.

Yeah Sony is definitely trying to pump the clocks on their dies but that is easier to do with their GPU (which is considerably smaller than the nextbox's/top end RDNA2 + less total heat load to worry about at ~2.2Ghz) and the clockspeeds while definitely fairly high for RDNA2 (I think its expected to be ~1.7-1.8Ghz or so for the shipping top end PC GPU's) aren't insanely so.

If they're really getting 50% yields on TSMC's 7nm than I'd assume its something wrong with their design somehow rather than GPU clocks.

edit: ah ok nvm\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 18, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW it was Bloomberg that reported the low-yield story and Sony immediately released a statement saying that that was bullshit

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

gradenko_2000 posted:

FWIW it was Bloomberg that reported the low-yield story and Sony immediately released a statement saying that that was bullshit

lol bloomberg has zero credibility on computer hardware news whatever source they are using is dogshit

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

lol bloomberg has zero credibility on computer hardware news whatever source they are using is dogshit
they seem to have a lot of people in china/taiwan pulling pranks on them for stories

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ufarn posted:

they seem to have a lot of people in china/taiwan pulling pranks on them for stories

I'm not too familiar with their policies but maybe rival companies are pushing bullshit rumors through because they have a prestigious name and will publish anything.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Are A520 boards a smart purchase for someone with a relatively modest budget? Or are they in general just too gimped compared to just shelling out the cash for a B550 board?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

Are A520 boards a smart purchase for someone with a relatively modest budget? Or are they in general just too gimped compared to just shelling out the cash for a B550 board?

if it has enough I/O for you (number of SATA ports, M.2 support) and you don't mind the loss of CPU overclocking (which I think is fine because there's not much you can manually squeeze out of Zen 2 and probably Zen 3 also), then A520 is okay, esp since what we've seen of A520 reviews indicates that you can still do memory tuning on it, which is what you want on Zen

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I also wouldn't get A520 if the CPU you're looking at uses more then 95W TDP. But at that point you're already spending more than "modest budget" money.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CPU being paired with the potential board is a Ryzen 5 3600. My buddy currently has the 3600 in a B350 board because of reasons I mentioned before in this thread. He's decided to brave removing the CPU once more and is keen on getting a new motherboard, and has asked me for recommendations again. Trying to save him a few bucks, and saw Newegg has a few A520 boards that look decent. Is there one that's a general recommendation?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

CPU being paired with the potential board is a Ryzen 5 3600. My buddy currently has the 3600 in a B350 board because of reasons I mentioned before in this thread. He's decided to brave removing the CPU once more and is keen on getting a new motherboard, and has asked me for recommendations again. Trying to save him a few bucks, and saw Newegg has a few A520 boards that look decent. Is there one that's a general recommendation?

the Gigabyte A520M H is the one that I've seen recommended as having a decent VRM and known to support memory tuning

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ok, scratch A520. My friend said they're willing to bump up their budget to $150 on the motherboard so looks like B550 it is, lol.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DDR5 stuff isn’t expected until 2022 at the earliest right? I’m on a 4770K and feel like Zen3, despite being the last AM4 boy, would be a worthwhile upgrade for the foreseeable future.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ijyt posted:

DDR5 stuff isn’t expected until 2022 at the earliest right? I’m on a 4770K and feel like Zen3, despite being the last AM4 boy, would be a worthwhile upgrade for the foreseeable future.

DDR5 is supposed to be a thing by (late) 2021, but between the potential for delays, and the lack of maturity of the platform, I wouldn't sweat too much that going from your 4770K to a Zen 3 would leave you high-and-dry with needing another upgrade immediately.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

ijyt posted:

What is your PC for?

If it's for gaming, basically ever new game is going to be made for the PS5/XBX that have a shittier version of the Ryzen 3700X. So it's hard to imagine a Zen 3 that's substantially better than that not being great for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I'm looking at building an AMD based system but I read that there may be new better AMD processors coming in just a few weeks and I am admittedly relatively clueless about the current state of processors. Is this something that would matter for a gaming desktop and would it be best to wait? Any idea if this is a thing that will actually be reasonably available and/or affordable? Finally, if I went ahead and got something like the Ryzen 3700 would I be able to upgrade easily in another year or so without changing motherboards?