Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Yah there is also a “s” version which is offset a little in case there is dimm slots or gpu interference https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s

Re: second fan, it’s not usually needed but you can add one after the fact easily if you want to boost the cooling. I have an overclocked 8700K with one and it keeps the temperatures very nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

priznat posted:

Yah there is also a “s” version which is offset a little in case there is dimm slots or gpu interference https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s

Re: second fan, it’s not usually needed but you can add one after the fact easily if you want to boost the cooling. I have an overclocked 8700K with one and it keeps the temperatures very nice.

I'm mostly worried about this thing turning my room into a furnace cause i live in the desert so I'm trying to keep temps down because I've been told this thing runs hot and if thats airflow or liquid i'll do whatever. Probably gonna go withthe FD meshify 2 case for either one

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ramadu posted:

I'm mostly worried about this thing turning my room into a furnace cause i live in the desert so I'm trying to keep temps down because I've been told this thing runs hot and if thats airflow or liquid i'll do whatever. Probably gonna go withthe FD meshify 2 case for either one

well, the better your cooling solution the hotter your room is going to get - all a better fan or water cooler is doing is moving that heat away from your rig and as such into your space. and the more heat it moves the more the chip can boost and as such generate more heat for your room, not less.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

CoolCab posted:

well, the better your cooling solution the hotter your room is going to get - all a better fan or water cooler is doing is moving that heat away from your rig and as such into your space. and the more heat it moves the more the chip can boost and as such generate more heat for your room, not less.

:negative: i have misunderstood all along.....but yeah regardless, wanna keep temps down and stuff. I guess I'll go with the dh-15s and the meshify 2 and see how it all shakes out

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ramadu posted:

:negative: i have misunderstood all along.....but yeah regardless, wanna keep temps down and stuff. I guess I'll go with the dh-15s and the meshify 2 and see how it all shakes out

oh yeah it's worth doing for sure, particularly if your ambient temps are high (what with being a desert) you'll need decent cooling to get all the performance out of it. but it definitely won't cut down on your air con bill, haha.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Sorry for spamming the thread, but these are big purchases that will hopefully last a number of years and I'm just your average moron and there is an utterly bewildering array of options now

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Is this the thread for posting about where to find AM4 socket standoffs for mounting a CPU cooler? I'm at my wits' end here and trying not to take a hammer to a PC build I need for work. Any advice would be appreciated.

I bought parts for a new computer ten days ago and the AsRock AB350M Pro4 motherboard, unbeknownst to me, was a gifted refurb that came with zero mounting hardware. As a result, I couldn't screw the stock Wraith Stealth cooler into the motherboard. I bought an aftermarket cooler for $50 to get around that since it said it came with all the required hardware to mount to an AM4 socket motherboard. It arrived and the instruction manual said to use the original backboard. There is no original backboard. I returned the aftermarket cooler and got an AM4 socket backboard + brackets and some more thermal paste. Went back to the stock cooler. Turns out the stock cooler screws not into brackets, but
into standoffs that screw into the backboard
. The standoffs don't come with the cooler, they allegedly came with the motherboard, and despite that bit of info implying that they're a standard size Google is incapable of telling me what that size is or if the aftermarket ones on Amazon will fit a Wraith Stealth cooler.

So, I'm looking for standoffs, and I would prefer not to continue this pattern of buying and returning items on Amazon and hoping that something fits. Y'all have any ideas as to what to do here?

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 27, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It would probably help if you posted what motherboard it is.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
My experience with the AM4 socket and the stock cooler (on 3100/3600’s at least) is that it screwed directly to the backplate. Maybe beefier stock coolers have a different solution though

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It would probably help if you posted what motherboard it is.

My apologies, the AsRock AB350M Pro4 motherboard
and a timestamped installation video mentioning the standoffs
have been edited into the original post. The screws on the stock cooler are not physically long enough to reach all the way down to the backboard by themselves. They're spring-loaded, but even with compressing the spring there isn't enough screw to make the gap.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Could buy a noctua cooler, that'll fit

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Sale on for a 3600 in my country - I could probably recoup some of the cost of my 3300x but I'm not gaining a lot at 1440p for gaming, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
For 1440p, you want to focus on GPU more.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cojawfee posted:

For 1440p, you want to focus on GPU more.

Yeah it's pairing with a 3070 I'm fine there.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CoolCab posted:

Sale on for a 3600 in my country - I could probably recoup some of the cost of my 3300x but I'm not gaining a lot at 1440p for gaming, right?

It might be okay maybe if you're interested in improving how steeply the bottom 1% or 0.1% of FPS drop from the average. It won't do much to improve average FPS unless you want ultra-high framerates in lower detail competitive games like Valorant and Overwatch. If you're a madman with a 240hz monitor then I'd say it's worth it.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Ramadu posted:

Oh ok, I found it. Weird it didn't pop up with my first search. Should I get a second fan to stick on it like the DH-15 has or is that not needed?

I'm running a 3900x on a D15S and frequently run video encodes that run upwards of two hours and it never throttles that I can tell. You really don't need the second fan for normal use.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Only noticed up to 5c with a second fan on a 3700x. I suppose that doesn't put out enough watts to really need it. I'm just using one on a 5600x ATM.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Level 1 Thief posted:

I'm running a 3900x on a D15S and frequently run video encodes that run upwards of two hours and it never throttles that I can tell. You really don't need the second fan for normal use.

Hell yeah. Thats awesome to hear. Are the temps super high? I was told it idles at like 40-50c which is a lot higher than my current setup which is like, 25-30c

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Idle temp won't be very different, it just depends on what fan settings you pick. Plenty of people opt to turn fans off or way down at idle, so temperature is higher but noise goes down. There's no inherent reason it can't idle close to a bit above ambient.

Also for what it's worth the Artic freezer II 280 was a notable improvement over my nhd15 for the 3900x, and the price was very close.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Ramadu posted:

wanna keep temps down and stuff

I know this is bordering on heresy to many people, but you don't have to run a CPU as hot as possible. Zen2 and Zen3 CPUs in particular are very good at delivering most of their theoretical peak performance with wattage limits set to 55-70% of the stock settings. Or to put it another way, the power needed to get the last GHz out of these CPUs is insane compared to what you need to get the first 3.5-3.8GHz.

Do some searches for things like "zen2 ppt performance" if you want to know more -- or just experiment. I run my machines under load 24/7 and see sustained all-core clocks of 3600MHz on a 3950X at 90W PPT (vs 142W stock). My 3900Xs see similar clocks at 85W PPT (also 142W stock). Tdie for them all is between 61C and 65C.

Edit: You can find reviews of Zen2 to support this, but the performance on these chips doesn't scale linearly with clocks, in the same way that power usage doesn't. You don't get 75% of the work out of a CPU running at 75% of max clock; you get more like 85-90% depending on the task.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 27, 2021

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

mdxi posted:

I know this is bordering on heresy to many people, but you don't have to run a CPU as hot as possible. Zen2 and Zen3 CPUs in particular are very good at delivering most of their theoretical peak performance with wattage limits set to 55-70% of the stock settings. Or to put it another way, the power needed to get the last GHz out of these CPUs is insane compared to what you need to get the first 3.5-3.8GHz.

Do some searches for things like "zen2 ppt performance" if you want to know more -- or just experiment. I run my machines under load 24/7 and see sustained all-core clocks of 3600MHz on a 3950X at 90W PPT (vs 142W stock). My 3900Xs see similar clocks at 85W PPT (also 142W stock). Tdie for them all is between 61C and 65C.

Edit: You can find reviews of Zen2 to support this, but the performance on these chips doesn't scale linearly with clocks, in the same way that power usage doesn't. You don't get 75% of the work out of a CPU running at 75% of max clock; you get more like 85-90% depending on the task.

I'm just your average jabroni so I'm not gonna be overclockinn or any of that. I'll look into turning it down though

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Ramadu posted:

I'm just your average jabroni so I'm not gonna be overclockinn or any of that. I'll look into turning it down though

The thing is that these CPUs effectively OC themselves. The days of buying CPUs which were overclockable well beyond the stock settings are gone -- it's now a game of single-digit percentages for OCers. New CPUs monitor their thermal and power envelopes and constantly re-allocate power and clocks in response to changing workloads and/or environmental restrictions. There's next to nothing left on the table, to be exploited by people willing to tweak BIOS settings. This has led to complaints from people who really enjoyed chasing after that thing, and also, simultaneously, to complaints from people who are peeved that their CPUs do not run at max boost 100% of the time.

But long story short, when we're talking about "stock settings" on a CPU in a modern context, we're actually talking about CPUs running right next to the thermal and power safety limits, as defined by the manufacturer. The out-of-box settings aren't 30% below the "real" safety margin anymore.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Ramadu. Simply under clock your cpu if you're worried about temperatures in your room.... :colbert:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CoolCab posted:

6C12T really is a good place to be even at 1440p.

imo the other way you could think about going is to wait for 5600 non-X and get both a bump in cores and performance at the same time. I think there's a strong chance AMD goes for at least one more refresh on this silicon given the timeline for Zen4 and how many DDR4 users they have who might be interested in one last upgrade.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

mdxi posted:

Here's data from my 3950X, this is just changing PPT and nothing else. Enabling ECO mode puts the CPU right at the peak efficiency spot.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MaxxBot posted:

Here's data from my 3950X, this is just changing PPT and nothing else. Enabling ECO mode puts the CPU right at the peak efficiency spot.

Cool! I will say none of these words mean anything to me because I've never done any of that or had an amd! I'll be back to bug you guys about when I get the whole thing built!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

6C12T really is a good place to be even at 1440p.

imo the other way you could think about going is to wait for 5600 non-X and get both a bump in cores and performance at the same time. I think there's a strong chance AMD goes for at least one more refresh on this silicon given the timeline for Zen4 and how many DDR4 users they have who might be interested in one last upgrade.

Agreed. I feel like my 3600X is more than fine at 1440p, and it really does seem like a safe bet there will be one more refresh for me to jump up to before going into the "wait for DDR5 to mature" stage of things.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

you fool, the seal is now broken

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

you fool, the seal is now broken

Rage mode is now active.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
here's a question - i went down the rabbit hole of ryzen ram optimization, followed the guides and used the tools to find i had a samsung b die (which is good?) and i gave it a shot at the "fast" settings the calculator spit out. unfortunately it turns out my clear cmos button is right underneath the GPU so resetting it after it failed to boot was a colossal PITA.

i kind of don't want to do that again. are the "safe" settings worth a flutter? how much of it do i need to enter in the bios, i heard conflicting things there?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zgrowler2 posted:

My apologies, the AsRock AB350M Pro4 motherboard
and a timestamped installation video mentioning the standoffs
have been edited into the original post. The screws on the stock cooler are not physically long enough to reach all the way down to the backboard by themselves. They're spring-loaded, but even with compressing the spring there isn't enough screw to make the gap.

The backplate is a standard design for AM4 and the mountings/standoffs are standard, so you should be able to buy a 3rd party replacement AM4 backplate on Amazon. Looks like they cost about 10 bucks. This looks a lot like the stock backplate and the standoff heights should be correct.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The backplate is a standard design for AM4 and the mountings/standoffs are standard, so you should be able to buy a 3rd party replacement AM4 backplate on Amazon. Looks like they cost about 10 bucks. This looks a lot like the stock backplate and the standoff heights should be correct.

oh hell yeah, I'll get on that today. thanks for the link!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm eyeballing the Intel Foundry Services announcement, and I'm thinking, do we know what process the consoles are presently being made on?

As we all know, process names are completely bunk and have zero meaning when comparing between foundries, but it's accepted that Intel's 14nm is comparable to other foundries' 10nm nodes.

It would be a kick in the pants if AMD were to contract out console/embedded production out to Intel to free up their TSMC wafers for silicon that needs 7nm.

poo poo, now I want to see what AMD could do if they were to really leverage the entire Intel portfolio, with FOVEROS and all.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 29, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The PS5 and XBSX APUs are TSMC 7nm just like all of AMD's current CPUs and GPUs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, so much for that potentiality of weird incestuous silicon valley business relationships.

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, so much for that potentiality of weird incestuous silicon valley business relationships.

Well, Intel made a freaking Intel® Core™ i7-8809G with Radeon RX Vega graphics hybrid combo just three years ago, which is WAY more strange than a wafer purchase deal.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...o-4-20-ghz.html

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wankie posted:

Well, Intel made a freaking Intel® Core™ i7-8809G with Radeon RX Vega graphics hybrid combo just three years ago, which is WAY more strange than a wafer purchase deal.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...o-4-20-ghz.html

To be fair, Intel hates nvidia, so they wouldn't have worked with them, and they probably didn't see AMD as a big threat at that time, so they didn't mind working with AMD.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, look at how fast they dropped support for that, and how quickly it entered into this weird support limbo between Intel and AMD going, "I'm not supporting that, you support it."

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, look at how fast they dropped support for that, and how quickly it entered into this weird support limbo between Intel and AMD going, "I'm not supporting that, you support it."

AMD unofficially supported it for a while In their big Radeon packages but that suddenly got dropped, likely because tech media posted an article about it and Intel told AMD to knock it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lardroom
Oct 15, 2012
I actually managed to buy a 5950x from that Newegg shuffle nonsense. Finally feels like this overbuilt X570 aorus master has a worthy CPU in it (I'm currently running a 3900x in it). I'm pretty much finally done with this PC in terms of upgrades, except for potentially doing a custom loop. Oh, and I suppose that I should upgrade this NVME boot drive from an old SX 8200 to...something.