Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Klyith posted:

8GB sticks aren't double sided unless they're from like 5 years ago or primo grade stuff, but that doesn't matter with 4x sticks. The performance downgrade is only there with 2 sticks.

2 sticks, single rank = reduced bandwidth
2 sticks, dual rank = full bandwidth
4 sticks, single rank = full bandwidth
4 sticks, dual rank = full bandwidth, but also worst case for OC

Is 4 sticks dual rank fine with just a standard xmp profile, since xmp is technically ocing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pofcorn posted:

Is 4 sticks dual rank fine with just a standard xmp profile, since xmp is technically ocing?

Not always, sometimes you can't get the XMP speed from 4 sticks that you could with 2. It's just harder on the memory controller. 4 single rank is a bit harder than 2 dual rank, 4 dual rank is harder still.

If you get / plan to get 4 sticks you should look at mobo QVL and pay attention to how most things are only validated for 2. However, a whole lot of DDR4 ram these days is single rank.

Also the ranks thing is purely bandwidth, not latency. If you are an average enthusiast and care mostly about games, latency has more effect. Though again, 4 sticks may pay a latency cost (2 stops on the bus makes it harder to keep timings low).

kliras posted:

pcie 4 can be really fast (on pcie 4), but games still haven't found any major optimizations for them as far as i'm aware.

Games probably won't have big gains until they change some of the basic ideas of how things are stored on disk & how engines load them -- blasting stuff straight into memory rather than formats that need CPU processing during loads.

Like, multi-platform games on the PS5 don't have the same instant-load trick like Ratchet & Clank does. You have to design the game for it, and that's not gonna happen with PC until devs feel ok about making it a minimum requirement.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 22, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks, I was kind of thinking gen 3 versus gen 4 NVME wasn't a big deal. The only thing that might still push me to getting one for my main machine is the 1TB drive for Windows should probably be a 2TB, but I store most game files on SATA drives anyway out of laziness.

I get the upgrade bug going, though, and I can get kind of obsessive.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there's the new directstorage api for windows which is intended to enable the same sort of stuff as as the ps5 with nvme drives, but i don't think anything actually uses it yet. over the next year we'll probably start seeing some stuff that takes advantage of it but it's going to be much longer before anything is really relying on it except maybe some ps5 ports?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pofcorn posted:

That’s definitely a pick off the motherboard’s QVL list thing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

On the 4 dimm discussion, this flew under the radar a bit, but Zen 4 + ddr5 is going to be slightly different and likely more annoying.

That's a pretty massive hit. Nobody even makes consumer DDR5 rated that slow, lol. So if you are thinkin of getting Zen 4, don't go with 4 sticks until we see how it plays out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Waiting and seeing is always good advice, but keep in mind that's max non-overclocked speeds. You will still be able to overclock beyond those speeds, and in this case "overclocking" means "simply turning on XMP/EXPO"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

True, but its a good sign that you aren't gonna be able to get those fancy 6000+ speeds with 4 DIMMs even if they are single rank (which no longer really matters with DDR5).

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
so i got 64GB DDR5-5600 for $200 did i lose the internets

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Palladium posted:

That seems like a really good/amazing price, though I guess it partly depends on the brand.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SourKraut posted:

That seems like a really good/amazing price, though I guess it partly depends on the brand.

Kingston Fury Beast (This is the most teenager name ever)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If it's 2x32GB, it'll probably be fine. Kingston kits are typically Hynix too, so you may be able to OC that up to 6000 if AMD lets you.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
it's a SKU with only 1.2V in XMP so it's prolly a 6000 for most intents and purposes

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Palladium posted:

Where? I could use a furry beast too for my next setup.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Twerk from Home posted:

i got it brand new sealed from a guy at a gas station

and no i don't want to know one bit at how he got it to begin with

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

… what? Could he just tell you were the kind of guy who wanted DDR5?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

My best friend runs a fursuit studio, I can give you some pointers.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cygni posted:

… what? Could he just tell you were the kind of guy who wanted DDR5?

the magic of arranging meetups on online marketplaces

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

was gonna say I’ve been offered TVs, car stereos/amps/speakers, iPods/iPads, even fuckin Pokémon cards in random parking lots but computer ram would be a new one.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sounds more like a LSDDR dealer to me

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Palladium posted:

Kingston Fury Beast (This is the most teenager name ever)

Nah, watch the GN video on the announced RTX 4000 AIBs. Steve couldn't make it all the way through the video reading the actual part names because they were so painfully dumb.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
EVGA leaves for like FIVE SECONDS...

Starting to think EVGA was onto something here, just peacing out for a generation and coming back the next one as heroes.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Starting to think EVGA was onto something here, just peacing out for a generation and coming back the next one as heroes.
I don't know about that, it sounds like they burned every bridge on their way out

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Llamadeus posted:

I don't know about that, it sounds like they burned every bridge on their way out

i have some bad news if they think the PSU rebadging market is less commoditized than GPU AIBs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

i have some bad news if they think the PSU rebadging market is less commoditized than GPU AIBs

GIGABYTE VOLTMONGER 950 GAMING X
ASUS ROG POWERSLAM 1000W
CORSAIR HYPERLIGHTNING 1500 EXTREME

(i'm sorry if any of these are actually real)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X gets overclocked to 7.2GHz with one core, 6.5 GHz all-core thanks to LN2 cooling

poo poo's getting *crazy*. And to think we were still staring down the 5 GHz wall a few years back.

gradenko_2000 posted:

GIGABYTE VOLTMONGER 950 GAMING X
ASUS ROG POWERSLAM 1000W
CORSAIR HYPERLIGHTNING 1500 EXTREME

(i'm sorry if any of these are actually real)

Clearly you've just conjured them into existence.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Llamadeus posted:

Nah nvidia would welcome them back in a heartbeat.

(One, nvidia is a public corporation and they can't do things like abandon revenue just because a CEO is pissed off and feeling disrespected. Two, they'd much rather EVGA not start making GPUs for AMD or Intel. Three, they're big enough that they have to worry about governments loving them for anti-competitive behavior. They already lost out on buying ARM because they were too big, but it could get worse.)

Palladium posted:

PSUs are the place where they're calling the shots. I feel like that's what this was about more than anything. The chinese factories that make their PSUs won't "disrespect" them like nvidia did.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yo these new mobos and chips come out in a few days why aren't any retailer letting me preorder the parts WTF

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yo these new mobos and chips come out in a few days why aren't any retailer letting me preorder the parts WTF

we are the scalpers now

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cao Ni Ma posted:

AMD isn’t allowing preorders (good), and the review embargo is supposedly the day before release day, so better make your mind up fast. Considering they basically didn’t have a functioning BIOS until 2 days ago supposedly and have already delayed the launch a few times, I would definitely read those reviews closely, especially about motherboard choice.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I found this in a drawer the other day, it was quite the beast if I recall correctly.

All the pins look good, considering it was just chucked in a drawer.

I think I had it paired with an ATI 9700 Pro graphics card, if that was a thing, it was some time ago now?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cygni posted:

AMD isn’t allowing preorders (good), and the review embargo is supposedly the day before release day, so better make your mind up fast. Considering they basically didn’t have a functioning BIOS until 2 days ago supposedly and have already delayed the launch a few times, I would definitely read those reviews closely, especially about motherboard choice.

I've been planning on a new system since COVID hit so I'm definitely buying this generation, but I'm also definitely waiting a month or two to learn which motherboards have unfixable issues.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7950x-7900x-7700x-7600x-stock-cinebench-scores-leaked

I wonder if Videocardz is smart enough to alter the scores slightly to protect the reviewer who leaked them these cinebench scores.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 25, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7950x-7900x-7700x-7600x-stock-cinebench-scores-leaked

I wonder if Videocardz is smart enough to alter the scores slightly to protect the reviewer who leaked them these cinebench scores.

Assuming that these are accurate and pretty generally representative of performance, that makes the 7950X the best value in the whole stack, right?

We're in a situation just like with the new Nvidia GPUs where maximum compute performance per dollar is also the most expensive model offered. A "sweet spot value build" is now a $1600 GPU and $700 CPU, ha.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We're already at a point where gaming at 4k there's barely any point going higher that 5600x, so that 7600x looks like it'll have really long legs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I for one welcome the top-end actually bringing good value for once instead of being useless halo products. Though I wish it didn't come at the expense of the middle and bottom (the middle is fine in these amd cpus, but rip to the bottom and rip to both for GPUs)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 25, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Considering my 8700K Cinebench R23 ST score is like, 1150, I'm thinking it might be time for a new build. :stare:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Assuming that these are accurate and pretty generally representative of performance, that makes the 7950X the best value in the whole stack, right?

We're in a situation just like with the new Nvidia GPUs where maximum compute performance per dollar is also the most expensive model offered. A "sweet spot value build" is now a $1600 GPU and $700 CPU, ha.

Only if you care about the second column, ST numbers are still basically the same.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
turns out we actually got the ps5 die shrink from amd with the latest revision

https://twitter.com/SkyJuice60/status/1574034211727872003

quote:

Along with an 18.8% increase in logic transistor density thanks to CPODE (which you can learn about in our article here), N6 also lowers power consumption for a given performance level vs N7. This is what enables the reduced wall power of the latest PS5 revision, with less requirement for heat rejection and hence a smaller, lighter cooler. As TSMC completes its transition to increase EUV adoption and move most products to N6 from N7, we get updates like Oberon Plus. While most fabless companies would just design a new product on N6, game consoles demand absolute low-level platform hardware and software compatibility. This is why we see the exact same design being ported with zero configuration changes, including keeping with the reduced Floating Point Unit in the Zen 2 CPU cores (which we will also see in Ryzen 7020 Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

kliras posted:

turns out we actually got the ps5 die shrink from amd with the latest revision

https://twitter.com/SkyJuice60/status/1574034211727872003

These are only in the new more expensive model, right?