Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Buy 4 sticks of this stuff: Samsung branded memory, Part # M391A2k43BB1-CRC. It's basically OEM brand memory, so it takes a bit of hunting to find it, and it's not cheap when you do, each stick cost me ~$250 when I bought it. If you hunt around you can find other sticks with the same dies in them, but unbuffered ECC is hard to find.

ECC also lets you overclock the memory subsystem really easily, since it actually gives you feedback on how close to the ragged edge you're pushing it, via making GBS threads a ton of errors into your syslog once you push it hard enough to start getting single bit errors.

You can pretty consistently get those 2400 CL17 sticks to 2800-2933 16-16-16-36-1T, depending on phase of the moon, motherboard, and all the usual factors.

Thanks for this. I grabbed two sticks to use with my R7 and was able to get them to DDR4-2933 16-16-16-34-1T without bumping the voltage above the stock 1.2V, and the ECC function is recognized on my x370 Taichi. They were kinda pricey at $220/stick, but that's what the 2x16GB G.Skill Non-ECC B-die kits are going for right now on Newegg.

I bought my sticks from these guys, and they came quickly and well-packed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I wonder if threadripper 1 CPUs will get cheaper when TR2 is out. Might be a good opportunity to build a modern-ish many core server on the cheap

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I rather want some actual news and/or numbers on TR+.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Was looking at HU's 8400 vs 1600 bench, and one thing that stuck out was worse frametimes on the 1600 for some tasks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fd_GXFBUtk&t=696s

Is there a separate issue that causes poor frametimes vs average FPS in a CPU here, or are there just certain situations in a game like Overwatch where Ryzen struggles?

Dealing with a combination of lower FPS *and* frametimes might be a bit much with Zen+, all things being equal.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 9, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's that cross-CCX latency bullshit that doesn't help. One reason why you either need fast RAM, because the IF clock is tied to RAM frequency, or why people are hoping for async IF in Zen 2.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Annoyingly, they don't include Overwatch in their CCX simulation where it seems to be most egregious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhj6CvBnwNk

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ufarn posted:

rate issue that causes poor frametimes vs average FPS in a CPU here, or are there just certain situations in a game like Overwatch where Ryzen struggles?

Dealing with a combination of lower FPS *and* frametimes might be a bit much with Zen+, all things being equal.
They used slow RAM. Ryzen will gain 10% or more performance from using faster RAM and tuning timings. Intel's current gen doesn't gain nearly as much from faster ram.

I say this as someone who's probably not buying Ryzen and is buying an 8700k. If you have a golden chip that hits 4.1 then it will match the intel chip at 4.1 in gaming provided you don't do something dumb like use inappropriate memory for the zen platform.

Also, zen2 has better RAM timings. And the people saying you need b-die are passing on outdated information, but b-die is better RAM. The latest motherboard updates for the 1xxx chips generally hit advertised speed or close to it for 3200 and lower with hynix as well.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 10, 2018

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Khorne posted:

They used slow RAM. Ryzen will gain 10% or more performance from using faster RAM and tuning timings. Intel's current gen doesn't gain nearly as much from faster ram.
3200 is slow RAM?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Llamadeus posted:

3200 is slow RAM?

4333 mothafucka get on my level.

3200 is granny shifting.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Llamadeus posted:

3200 is slow RAM?
I didn't see the video just read r/amd comments. Can't watch videos. Someone said they did the tests without it being at 3200.

Did they run it at 3200 cl14 with tuned timings? If you have a Ryzen and want competitive IPC with intel then it's what you have to do. The difference between 34xx cl14 and 3200 cl14 isn't much so I'm not really advocating for that.

If they did then sorry.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The video posted has the 1600 with 3200 RAM vs the i5-8400 with 2666 and 3200, no mentions of timings. Though even the non B-die 3200 CL16 is probably on the faster end of what most people are willing to pay for.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Llamadeus posted:

The video posted has the 1600 with 3200 RAM vs the i5-8400 with 2666 and 3200, no mentions of timings. Though even the non B-die 3200 CL16 is probably on the faster end of what most people are willing to pay for.
Alright. Sorry about that.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Computerbase just did a driveby of the Lenovo IdeaPad 720S, and poor Raven Ridge R7 2700U got the full AMD treatment.
Cooling solution ripped from an old Intel dualcore design, choked to 12W TDP without allowing for short spikes, permanent downclocking if temp limit is exceeded even once, single channel DDR4-2133 :smith:
It was slower than a i7-8650U Surface Book 2 in Overwatch and they had to order a second unit to confirm they didn't receive a lemon, it was so despressing.
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-04/lenovo-ideapad-720s-amd-raven-ridge-test/

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 11, 2018

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-13-7000-2-in-1/spd/inspiron-13-7375-2-in-1-laptop released with absolutely no fanfare, but it apparently has two available RAM slots so presumably it has dual channel.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Other than maybe wanting a higher resolution screen, the model that comes with 12GB of RAM seems like a solid deal.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

KKKLIP ART posted:

Other than maybe wanting a higher resolution screen

I was expecting 1366×768 after reading this.
1920×1080 is plenty. Sure, not the best aspect ratio, but the resolution is fine.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

I was expecting 1366×768 after reading this.
1920×1080 is plenty. Sure, not the best aspect ratio, but the resolution is fine.

My XPS13 with a 1080p screen is nice, but I really love my retina macbook's display better. Its got the GPU for a high DPI screen, curious that they didn't even offer one at a big upsell.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Probably because Windows is still hot garbage when it comes to consistently dealing with with high DPI support and the OEMs don't want to be fielding calls about why some random application is tiny and unreadable when it isn't something they can control.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Latest Win 10 build has fixed up a LOT of the Hi-DPi issues. Not perfect but getting really really drat close. Multi Display Hi-DPi is working a lot better (as long as you aren't disconnecting displays often).

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Especially at the mid high end, I don’t feel like a 1440p-ish laptop should be strange and it is curious that Microsoft has really dragged their feet in having a good high res solution.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Probably because Windows is still hot garbage when it comes to consistently dealing with with high DPI support and the OEMs don't want to be fielding calls about why some random application is tiny and unreadable when it isn't something they can control.

It's just blurry in a way that makes you rub your eyes (or presumably clean your glasses) to check if it's you or the thing you're looking at.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe their marketing will stop being loving awful now.

Poor Volta[ge]!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

In an alternate timeline, he will go and work with raja to produce the best marketing materials ever seen for Intel's new discrete card (which has a stunning shroud).

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Especially at the mid high end, I don’t feel like a 1440p-ish laptop should be strange and it is curious that Microsoft has really dragged their feet in having a good high res solution.
I don't think it's possible to do better than what MS is doing right now. A ton of Windows programs were written without high-DPI support and scaling them inevitably makes them blurry. Apple got around this by doubling screen resolution and then just doubling the render size of old programs but MS obviously can't do this.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Malloc Voidstar posted:

I don't think it's possible to do better than what MS is doing right now. A ton of Windows programs were written without high-DPI support and scaling them inevitably makes them blurry. Apple got around this by doubling screen resolution and then just doubling the render size of old programs but MS obviously can't do this.

there was a certain amount of resolution independence before they settled on the doubling strategy, and it was made a success off the back of a load of developers pulling their finger out and shipping retina assets. obviously there's not nearly the same amount of third party devs and legacy cruft as there is on windows, but it's not as if what apple accomplished was at all trivial

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I grabbed a 1600 and an AsRock AB350 Pro4 from Micro Center for under $200 with tax - did I still do good, even with the new platform coming out soon?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

call to action posted:

I grabbed a 1600 and an AsRock AB350 Pro4 from Micro Center for under $200 with tax - did I still do good, even with the new platform coming out soon?

Youre all good, new stuff is nearly the same performance and the rest of the platform is more or less a rebrand. If you want more cores in a year or two, you can always swap the CPU out to somethin fresh as AMD will still be using the same platform.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Youre all good, new stuff is nearly the same performance and the rest of the platform is more or less a rebrand. If you want more cores in a year or two, you can always swap the CPU out to somethin fresh as AMD will still be using the same platform.

Awesome. My only problem during the build was using an ancient version of Windows 10 that didn't play nice with something, but using freshly created media worked perfectly.

It's insane how much better my R9 290X performs with this than a G3258, guess that goes without saying.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Some specifics on the 2000 desktop processors:

PCWorld posted:

The $329 Ryzen 7 2700X has 8-cores and 16-threads with clock speeds ranging from 3.7GHz to 4.3GHz. It’s bundled with AMD’s premium Wraith Prism cooler, which features illuminated RGB fan blades.

The $299 Ryzen 7 2700 has 8-cores and 16-threads with clock speeds ranging from 3.2GHz to 4.1GHz. It’s bundled with AMD’s Wraith Spire cooler with an RGB ring.

The $229 Ryzen 5 2600X has 6-cores and 12-threads with clock speeds ranging from 3.6GHz to 4.2GHz. It’s bundled with the Wraith Spire cooler without an RGB ring.

The $199 Ryzen 5 2600 has 6-cores and 12-threads with clock speeds ranging from 3.4GHz to 3.9GHz. It’s bundled with AMD’s Wraith Stealth cooler.

Looking pretty good imo. The 2700X has a 105W TDP over the 95W TDP of the 1800X. Getting a cooler with every SKU instead of the non-X models is pretty great.

The article specifically mentions that these are backwards compatible with X370 boards, I hope my B350 board keeps support. That's one of the reasons why I got it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NewFatMike posted:

Some specifics on the 2000 desktop processors:

Looking pretty good imo. The 2700X has a 105W TDP over the 95W TDP of the 1800X. Getting a cooler with every SKU instead of the non-X models is pretty great.

The article specifically mentions that these are backwards compatible with X370 boards, I hope my B350 board keeps support. That's one of the reasons why I got it.

Remind me, Ryzen IPC is roughly equivalent to Haswell right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, slightly better than haswell I think

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Haswell worst case, Broadwell for the most part. The only thing that the 1000 series were real bad at was some specific audio workloads because it's super latency sensitive.

I'm really excited to see what the IMC & IF improvements are when reviews hit. I hope to God there are 3XX vs 4XX comparisons with the 2000 series, too.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
2700X launches at the same price as the 1700 is now and it's base clock is as high as I'm able to overclock. I'm probably going to need a better motherboard, hopefully someone puts it in an ASRock AB350 Pro4.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Measly Twerp posted:

2700X launches at the same price as the 1700 is now and it's base clock is as high as I'm able to overclock. I'm probably going to need a better motherboard, hopefully someone puts it in an ASRock AB350 Pro4.

:same:
I'd bought the same motherboard initially thinking I wasn't interested in much overclocking. My friend who works at a tech store laughs at me for now having a 280mm AIO on a board that can hardly overclock so odds are I'll be giving X470 a try sooner than later.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nine of Eight posted:

:same:
I'd bought the same motherboard initially thinking I wasn't interested in much overclocking. My friend who works at a tech store laughs at me for now having a 280mm AIO on a board that can hardly overclock so odds are I'll be giving X470 a try sooner than later.

This is why I almost always go for a more top end board. You never know when you might want some of the extra features and it sucks having to replace a motherboard. Grabbed an x370 for my Ryzen 7 and well there was only one option (x399) for my 1950x. Couldn't be happier with the builds.

eames
May 9, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

I'm really excited to see what the IMC & IF improvements are when reviews hit. I hope to God there are 3XX vs 4XX comparisons with the 2000 series, too.

early bios revisions don't look too great, i hope they get it fixed for the launched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WuDE95JisM&t=526s

he also dropped some hints that the max turbo frequencies (which are pretty much factory overclocks) exceed the already elevated rated tdp, so I'd say they're going to run quite hot

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Just pre-ordered a 2700x system because the Phenom II I'm running at the moment is slower than molasses. Of course the Phenom II is still faster than my, once again, dead skylake.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

KodiakRS posted:

Just pre-ordered a 2700x system because the Phenom II I'm running at the moment is slower than molasses. Of course the Phenom II is still faster than my, once again, dead skylake.

Welcome back to the human race

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

KodiakRS posted:

I'm still running a Phenom II but with a little overclocking it is still running okay - I play AAA games on it still, but really need to upgrade. The 2600X is looking like a strong contender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
A 2500k is so much faster :)