Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

remember when people got real mad that intel used the word glue in a powerpoint deck

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Truga posted:

i'm dying holy poo poo

this is the best

I want that poster real bad. Long may the AMD IDGAF trolling continue.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's Semiaccurate, and therefore sits firmly in the same category of "salt now, so you're not salty later" as WCCFT, but: according to this, that thing that I was worried about, where people just upgrade to the next thing that Intel comes out with out of inertia may not be happening.

https://semiaccurate.com/2018/05/22/intel-customers-arent-buying-new-offerings/

A point highly belabored by current Epyc marketing, it seems:

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-this-is-epyc-campaign-and-amd-epyc-updates/

Oh my God :allears:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They need to give the RTG marketing over to whoever is running EPYC marketing.

It would at least be amusing and not cringetastic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jeez the memes have already started.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 25, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They need to give the RTG marketing over to whoever is running EPYC marketing.

It would at least be amusing and not cringetastic.

they literally named the cpu "EPYC"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
still better than xenon

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

they literally named the cpu "EPYC"

The thing is it just ends up sounding upstart and scrappy, a kind of cheerful aggression if not extreme earnestness. Despite being in your face their market position doesn't make it seem belligerent and so it works.

Also lmao "Monster Truck of Computing!".

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Plus enough time has passed that no one remembers the cringe of epic

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

redeyes posted:

Agreed on the 32GB.. and sorry to hear it raped you so hard. I wouldn't fly with less than that myself.
Please don't use the word "raped" to mean "screwed" like that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ok. Sorry, it was consensual.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's Semiaccurate, and therefore sits firmly in the same category of "salt now, so you're not salty later" as WCCFT, but: according to this, that thing that I was worried about, where people just upgrade to the next thing that Intel comes out with out of inertia may not be happening.

https://semiaccurate.com/2018/05/22/intel-customers-arent-buying-new-offerings/

A point highly belabored by current Epyc marketing, it seems:

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-this-is-epyc-campaign-and-amd-epyc-updates/

AMD is leaving money on the table is they don't sell prints of this. I just did a server refresh last year (Intel) but I'd still hang one in the server room and leave it for the next guy.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
IMO amd shoulda let epyc 1socket just be thread ripper instead of a gimped dual die

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Having used my Raven Ridge machine fairly extensively now, I'm sort of surprised that processors can be the kind of thing that creates a fanboy cult.

As I remember the days when AMD had to accept any vendor that would be willing to work with them and their motherboards had to be in plain white boxes, I know what a long hard trip it's been to get to this point where an AMD processor and an Intel processor in a PC can be indistinguishable. And if it weren't for RAM prices I'd be eagerly marking down the days until B450 boards.

But, uhhh... This thing is just fine? And that's great, but not worth getting excited about? The whole AMD v Intel thing just seems not to be something I can get worked up over. Most AMD buyers benefit from Intel being chipzilla because the whole price:perf ratio that keeps them with AMD is that AMD can't afford to have Intel's profit margins. The consumer's favorite company is the one that makes enough money to keep the lights on and production running but doesn't take any money above that for themselves.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Well, there is also VIA (who are pumping out moderately competitive products in the ZX-5000, 6000 and 7000). But for me it's more a spectator sport, and it's fun to watch the underdog fight back.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

pixaal posted:

AMD is leaving money on the table is they don't sell prints of this.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Craptacular! posted:

Having used my Raven Ridge machine fairly extensively now, I'm sort of surprised that processors can be the kind of thing that creates a fanboy cult.

As I remember the days when AMD had to accept any vendor that would be willing to work with them and their motherboards had to be in plain white boxes, I know what a long hard trip it's been to get to this point where an AMD processor and an Intel processor in a PC can be indistinguishable. And if it weren't for RAM prices I'd be eagerly marking down the days until B450 boards.

But, uhhh... This thing is just fine? And that's great, but not worth getting excited about? The whole AMD v Intel thing just seems not to be something I can get worked up over. Most AMD buyers benefit from Intel being chipzilla because the whole price:perf ratio that keeps them with AMD is that AMD can't afford to have Intel's profit margins. The consumer's favorite company is the one that makes enough money to keep the lights on and production running but doesn't take any money above that for themselves.

I think I speak for most of the people here when I say that we are not necessarily fanboys of AMD because of their products... we are fans of AMD in that without any competition, Intel stagnates and falls back on 5% improved IPC YOY.... just look at the last decade of chips and people still using 2600Ks. AMD genuinely is the only other outfit out there that can reasonably exert pressure on Intel in the x86 space.

And when competition happens, all consumers win, whether you buy Intel or AMD.

But not having to pay Intel's prices for comparable performance is a big plus.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
In theory a consumer wins when their $350 CPU is viable for five years instead of two.

5% IPC YOY isn't anti-consumer, it's anti technological advancement. Consumers can actually win when technology matures and isn't developing at the kind of accelerated pace that smartphones did between the first iPhone and iPhone 6, in that scenario technology is actually obsolete before consumers feel they achieve value.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

In theory a consumer wins when their $350 CPU is viable for five years instead of two.

5% IPC YOY isn't anti-consumer, it's anti technological advancement. Consumers can actually win when technology matures and isn't developing at the kind of accelerated pace that smartphones did between the first iPhone and iPhone 6, in that scenario technology is actually obsolete before consumers feel they achieve value.

Nobody wins without competent competition.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lisa Su:
We must sell Ryzen so we have the budget to troll Intel.

How is that not admirable.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 26, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Measly Twerp posted:

Nobody wins without competent competition.

That much is certainly true. I like that AMD no longer requires sacrifice in stability or a huge maintenance upkeep.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Or having to shell out for a new motherboard with every drat chip.

Craptacular! posted:

I'd still argue that consumers are still the net beneficiaries of rapid technological advancement when what we consider to be the kind of inexpensive phone that you get on a prepaid plan can be a smartphone that's more powerful than any of those early-generation iPhones, and that anti-advancement *is* anti-consumer. Hell, if we wanted to blow this up to really philosophical wonky territory, it's certainly not in the best interests of humanity.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'd still argue that consumers are still the net beneficiaries of rapid technological advancement when what we consider to be the kind of inexpensive phone that you get on a prepaid plan can be a smartphone that's more powerful than any of those early-generation iPhones

Not that impressive considering early generation iPhones were woefully under-featured.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Woefully underfeatured, underpowered, _AND overpriced_.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Woefully underfeatured, underpowered, _AND overpriced_.

Not being confrontational and I don’t want to sidetrack the thread, but relative to? Pretty much everything in the 2007-2008 period was relative steaming piles of poo poo, and all of the first and second generation “smartphones” had strengths and weaknesses. A number of (lovely) Android smartphones were even coming in at a higher price than the second and third generations of iPhone.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'd still argue that consumers are still the net beneficiaries of rapid technological advancement when what we consider to be the kind of inexpensive phone that you get on a prepaid plan can be a smartphone that's more powerful than any of those early-generation iPhones, and that anti-advancement *is* anti-consumer. Hell, if we wanted to blow this up to really philosophical wonky territory, it's certainly not in the best interests of humanity.

Humanity became largely interested in efficiency. I realize Intel's many problems wouldn't bring much performance anyway, but humanity moved to battery operated devices, not widespread adoption of 1000W PSUs. They did this on their own, and not because Intel failed to deliver power so quickly that software grew to accommodate it and thus force older users into buying more power.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I built my 2600k computer, I "knew" what the specs would be for my replacement. I wanted roughly "double" the computer I'd built. I didn't expect to be so "spot on" with my prediction, or that it would take three or four times as long before I'd do it.

2011 computer:
4x4gb ram

Nebulous future computer specs:
8 core processor
32gb ram

Actual computer next year:
8 core (or better?) Ryzen 2 or 8 core (or better?) Intel offering
32-64gb ram

I guess it's a win but it's also disappointing. There are tradeoffs to everything.

e:

Oh man, these RAM prices

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 26, 2018

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Still happy with my 1950X. I want to bump it to 64GB RAM, but ouch.

Oh and AMD needs to get off its rear end and fix the PCIe stuff.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Craptacular! posted:

I'm sort of surprised that processors can be the kind of thing that creates a fanboy cult.

For your own sanity, don't go to r/amd or r/realamd. I went there looking for news about AMD products, which did not seem unreasonable. What I got was an infinite tide of complaining about Intel breaking the law by being mean to AMD. And Nvidia being the antichrist because they're mean to AMD. And youtubers being lying sacks of poo poo because they were mean to AMD (unless this week they were awesome because they were nice to AMD). And pictures of "Team Red" PC builds with 4000 upvotes.

(Parenthetically, r/hardware is far less zealot-y, but frequently seems to believe that CPU and GPU development revolves around (and is driven forward by the needs of) ~~gamers~~, which is just hilarious.)

As for myself, I'll happily go back to Intel as soon as they drop a CPU that equals or betters the performance, thread count, and power envelope of the Ryzen I'm using, but costs less.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 26, 2018

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Look at you reasonlords trying to one-up each other in the subforum for people plowing thousands into pc hardware that lights up like a christmas tree and/or sysadmins drinking themselves to death

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
RGB is a cancer that I solve, one snip with my diagonal cutters at a time, and I keep a half-full bottle of Jailers Tennessee Whiskey in my bottom drawer.

The three are not mutually exclusive! =P

edit: in retrospect, I should probably swap the Jailers out for something else, now that the NDP went out of business.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 26, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
AMD, when is my monster truck going to come with LEDs integrated into the CPU?

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
AMD RGB is best RGB Bro... Is beeeeesst RGB... Bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF2SuR93l5c

If you can't trigger seizures with your windowed PC, you're doing it wrong.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

metaxus posted:

AMD RGB is best RGB Bro... Is beeeeesst RGB... Bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF2SuR93l5c

If you can't trigger seizures with your windowed PC, you're doing it wrong.

I feel like Eichenwald is suing this video already

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Still happy with my 1950X. I want to bump it to 64GB RAM, but ouch.

Oh and AMD needs to get off its rear end and fix the PCIe stuff.

What this about fixing PCIe stuff?! Please explain.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SourKraut posted:

Not being confrontational and I don’t want to sidetrack the thread, but relative to? Pretty much everything in the 2007-2008 period was relative steaming piles of poo poo, and all of the first and second generation “smartphones” had strengths and weaknesses. A number of (lovely) Android smartphones were even coming in at a higher price than the second and third generations of iPhone.

I am sure that this will become a massive derail, but at launch the first generation iPhone:

as 2g only
did not have GPS
could not send MMS
could not record video
did not have apps
could not multitask
could not copy and paste
was only available on 1 carrier in the US
did not have expandable storage (and the max storage you could get was 8GB)
did not have a calendar
could not update the OS over the air (no OTA updates)*
required iTunes on a PC or Mac to even set up
did not have a front facing camera
could not get email from exchange or lotus email servers
cost $500 for 4GB and $600 for 8GB and still required a 2 year contract on top of that

By comparison, Windows mobile phones that were available at the time of the iPhones launch did not have any of the same shortcomings.

Now, I am not saying Windows Mobile was good, because it was not. And the iPhone had a much better user interface, and in most cases bettery battery life than other phones available at the time. But it was missing practically ever feature that you would have said a smartphone needed to have be called a smartphone, even at the time.

* I am not 100% sure that Windows Mobile did OTA updates, but I am leaving this on the list.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I didn’t own a 1st(or even a second)-gen iphone, but my brother-in-law had both and the fact that it had a real browser and a fantastic touchscreen blew my goddamn mind at the time. I was like ‘Ohhhh, THAT’S why everybody’s waiting in line for these’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
The fact that it had a touch screen UI that was designed to be used by a finger instead of a stylus, a click wheel, or a 5 way button was a pretty big feature. Also that it had a pretty good capacitive touch screen sensor and could do multi touch was also very impressive.

The browser was good for the time, especially when compared to the standard WAP browser a lot of phones had. But other smartphones had real browsers like Opera.

But then again, one of the iPhones selling points was that their good browser was built in and was the default (it just works). Windows Mobile you had to go download some 3rd party app to add the usability that you needed.