Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Mark Larson posted:

You mean I should keep the same timings and just try to bump up the speed?
Yeah. Getting reduced latency and higher RAM clocks on Ryzen is pretty hard and its not reasonable to expect to do so.

Mark Larson posted:

Also how do I know if I have the B die stuff?
Something like Thaiphoon Burner can ID the chips. Otherwise you have to google away and hope someone posted solid info on ID'ing your stuff.

Sorry for the late reply.

Munkeymon posted:

Is it weird or is it just not what Intel does?
A bit of both IMO. Intel is still the dominate PC CPU OEM so anything that strays much outside of what they'd normally do is going to run into issues of some sort. For even high end desktop this sort of NUMA CPU where 2 dies have limited memory access is unusual.

It seems it'll require some degree of software support by the OS to get working well with some stuff given that it seems to work better with Linux than Windows right now but once they get that worked out it could be justifiable for those who are more CPU than memory bandwidth constrained.

Otherwise I'd just stick with a 12C/24T 2920X or a 16C/32T 2950X Threadripper2 if you need more threads but don't want to deal with NUMA or bandwidth shenanigans right now. For the money ($649 and $899 MSRP's) they seem awfully impressive.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Can someone briefly describe to me what happens when you're given more virtual threads in a workload than real cores and/or HT threads, and how much relative time it takes to solve that problem versus simply having enough cores for the entire workload?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Can someone briefly describe to me what happens when you're given more virtual threads in a workload than real cores and/or HT threads, and how much relative time it takes to solve that problem versus simply having enough cores for the entire workload?

Same thing that happened on single-core systems, the OS scheduler is responsible for timesharing them on the available cores. Switching thread contexts does incur some performance overhead, so you don't want to go totally nuclear because you'll end up increasing the amount of time lost to thread switching.

One of the things SMT/HT does is allow one thread to keep running while the other is switched out, so non-SMT/non-HT processors will be hit more heavily by this overhead than SMT/HT.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Okay so two answers here, the first is for a thread over-commit situation where no HT is involved:

Basically you get CPU wait time, where threads are waiting for available cycles on the core to execute. The resource scheduler in the OS/hypervisor is responsible for scheduling out that load and allowing for some amount of equatable share of access to the cores or shuffling the thread over to a different core where there is availability assuming all worker threads have the same priority. Stuff can get crowded out entirely if something has a higher priority that another thread. You can keep assigning physical cores so long as there are worker threads are there to use them but not all workloads/software is able to scale wide like this well because the result of one thread will impact the calculation on another so you have to keep them synchronized.

Now throw HT in to that:

For the sake of discussion, each core can perform the following tasks in a cycle: read from register, write to register, and Do Math. You can Do Math for a thread until you've read the register, and you probably can't do subsequent operations until that result is written to the register, so you end up with one one of the three available functions of a core being used each cycle (this is a gross simplification). With HT enabled, you can use these periods of downtime for other threads so in the same cycle that Thread A is Doing Math on the core, Thread B can be reading from the register to stage data so it can be Doing Math on that core in the subsequent cycle. This is your execution pipeline and you're more efficiently packing it with commands to get more work done in the same number of cycles. In reality, the holes are not that big and software/hardware has already been optimized to minimize these pipeline gaps through various means so with HT enable you will see a 0-15% increase in throughput on CPU-bound processes.

Assuming you're on a HT-enabled platform, don't bother assigning more than 2x the number of worker threads to physical cores available assuming the cores will be saturated.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 17, 2018

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

TheJeffers posted:

The 2990WX is crazy (like a fox, because it works well most of the time). Intel probably would never build something like this because Intel architectures seem to be about providing consistent performance and not chancing cases where even subpar code would perform badly for any reason except not scaling well with thread counts. AMD is apparently more than happy to provide a part that has an equal chance of scaling like mad or making programs and operating systems fall flat on their faces. If they tried to sell this thing into the server market it would be laughed out of the room but high-end desktops are a little more wild-West and AMD has nothing to lose by trying.
That's really bonkers because Intel makes plenty of quad or 8-socket chips that will absolutely fall on their face if you try to run them without NUMA considerations. It's just that people don't try to benchmark those on a desktop OS.

TR is basically a 4-socket board with memory on two of the sockets. It's not particularly unusual a design, and the off-core penalty is lower because IF beats socket-to-socket QPI. Microsoft probably has NUMA gated to server SKUs so yeah, it will gut performance due to bad allocation.

Epyc has a controller for each core complex so there's no starved cores in the datacenter.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Alright, I think I got most of that. I'm kinda coming to a conclusion on what hardware the developer of an application had in mind when writing it for the x86 architecture (surprise, the developer was Capcom and the workload was the PC port of Monster Hunter: World) and it definitely seems like the original game must have really taken advantage of the peculiarities of Jaguar's 8 cores on PS4 with not much effort in looking at the low-level on non-console architectures. The MT Framework engine for the port full-stop throws 32 different threads at PCs with some thread priorities way out of wack, like rendering threads designated higher than disk i/o threads :downs: This is causing a bunch of issues involving hitching and crashes and possibly even network disconnections(!) because of the short amount of time the developers had (since this spring) to bring the game to Steam. Overtaxed consumer PC processors, especially ones lower on thread capacity and clock speed look like the biggest victims.

basically i'm thinking of getting a 8c16t CFL refresh aka whiskey lake or ryzen or threadripper in NUMA mode for mhw

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

basically i'm thinking of getting a 8c16t CFL refresh aka whiskey lake or ryzen or threadripper in NUMA mode for mhw

Whiskey Lake is specifically about mobile chips, the desktop chips are still considered part of Coffee Lake.

For the most part, Coffee Lake is the objectively correct choice if you're primarily gaming and the 8C16T version will be the best non-HEDT chips out for productivity as well. TR is great for productivity stuff but difficult to recommend on its merits for gaming - it's not any worse than an 1800X but it's not any better either (although you can stream on one set of cores while gaming on the other). Zen2 will definitely overtake Coffee Lake again next year in productivity, but gaming is harder to predict. Coffee Lake will probably retain the gaming crown, or at least tie up with Zen2, but anything's possible.

Ryzen's not bad for gaming though, particularly if you're only doing 60 Hz. If you do go with Ryzen, get a 2000 series, they do better in gaming because of the lower latency. The 2600X and 2700X are the value leaders, XFR2 is worth it this time around. And you should really be buying decent RAM for all of these platforms now, like at minimum 3000 CAS-15 or 3200 CAS-16.

Oh, also, dunno if it helps you but I hear volumetric lighting really tanks performance in MHW. Probably moreso on the GPU side, but might be worth turning it off and seeing if it helps performance any.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 18, 2018

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yes volumetric fog is bad for computers and also actually makes everything look worse, it's turned off on a lot of MH:W tests out there and I do it too. Biggest change as it turns out is maximum Level of Detail and its distance, which provide a great boost when reduced but also makes some models very, very simple.

Anyways, duly noted on unofficial nomenclature and Ryzen/memory choices. It would be a complete platform change with memory for me and I've got a 144Hz 1440p monitor, so it's not going to be an easy change and nVidia might get involved, too. I can certainly wait until Zen 2 to find out how well the IPC gains and power efficiency come along with the 7nm process!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a reason why my ryzen 1800x running on an asrock b450 itx/ac gaming motherboard is never able to hit the two core turboclock speed of 4ghz? It seems like no matter how much load you put on the chip it never clocks beyond 3.6 ghz.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Is there a reason why my ryzen 1800x running on an asrock b450 itx/ac gaming motherboard is never able to hit the two core turboclock speed of 4ghz? It seems like no matter how much load you put on the chip it never clocks beyond 3.6 ghz.

How is your CPU temperature doing? Try running just 1 or 2 threads of prime 95.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

kaschei posted:

How is your CPU temperature doing? Try running just 1 or 2 threads of prime 95.

I flattened and reinstalled windows 10 and that seems to have fixed it. Just dropped it straight in a Windows 10 install that's been on the ivy bridge chipset for more than 3 years now.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yeah you pretty much always should format/reinstall windows if you switch mobos/platforms.

Even if windows will actually boot up and work for the most part there are always so many weird issues that persist and just go away with a fresh reinstall. Its not even much of a time waster these days if you've got a SSD and install from a USB3.whatever flash drive.

If you're willing to use stuff like NTlite to build your own install images you can speed it up even further and get pretty much everything set up in a half hour or so.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Some news:

https://twitter.com/wccftechdotcom/status/1034124920328863744

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I scrolled down to the comment section on WCCF the first time ever. What in the gently caress.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

That seems to have caused some investor panic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Combat Pretzel posted:

I scrolled down to the comment section on WCCF the first time ever. What in the gently caress.

Really not a good scene in there.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13277/globalfoundries-stops-all-7nm-development

This is the actual what the gently caress.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This was kind of known though.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13122/amd-rome-epyc-cpus-to-be-fabbed-by-tsmc

AMD “Rome” EPYC CPUs to Be Fabbed By TSMC - from the end of July.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

The CTO stressed that the decision was made not based on technical issues that the company faced, but on a careful consideration of business opportunities the company had with its 7LP platform as well as financial concerns.

AMD had been saying they would use both TSMC and Glofo, but it looks pretty clear that AMD decided to dump Glofo altogether.

The end of process improvements is gettin messy.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

:stare: HOLY poo poo

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yeah was going to post that, so it basically means AMD is going all in on TSMC, and GloFo will continue to fill out AMD orders for I guess semicustom parts? Lol, this basically means AMD is finally free of the GloFo albatross.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

pixaal posted:

This was kind of known though.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13122/amd-rome-epyc-cpus-to-be-fabbed-by-tsmc

AMD “Rome” EPYC CPUs to Be Fabbed By TSMC - from the end of July.
I'd argue it wasn't, TSMC's process was supposed to be ready earlier. AMD fabbed Vega and Rome Epycs there. GloFo was still, publicly at least, supposed to be used for other projects.

It's probably not a big deal for AMD, because they also publicly said they had planned to use both fabs and go with whoever was ready.

It's still a pretty big deal and huge surprise given the time and money invested into a 7nm process by GloFo. Process improvements cost billions of dollars.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 27, 2018

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Khorne posted:

I'd argue it wasn't, TSMC's process was supposed to be ready earlier. AMD fabbed Vega and Rome Epycs there. GloFo was still, publicly at least, supposed to be used for other projects.

It's probably not a big deal for AMD, because they also publicly said they had planned to use both fabs and go with whoever was ready.

It's still a pretty big deal and huge surprise given the time and money invested into a 7nm process by GloFo. Process improvements cost billions of dollars.

For GloFo oh yeah, I can't imagine it's actually a good idea to dump 7nm unless AMD has it locked up so tight they can't use it with anyone else.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mewse
May 2, 2006

This seems similar to some of the shady stuff that happens in the pharma industry where companies are acquired for their patents, all R&D is cut, and prices are jacked up.

Like the comment by the CTO in the article "we'll just acquire IP" rather than spend on R&D

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

It is kjind of weird how this pretty much coincides with Anderson leaving, related? Did AMD receive samples form GloFo, the associated price, and give a hearty laugh? And Anderson wanted to still dual source?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So if they aren't going to develop their own 7nm process, does this still leave the door open for them to license it from Samsung, one wonders.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So if they aren't going to develop their own 7nm process, does this still leave the door open for them to license it from Samsung, one wonders.

GlobalFoundries™; A subsidiary of Samsung©

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Would not be the WEIRDEST thing to happen, but they'd have to buy it from the Abu Dhabis, first.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Why in the world does AMD still have a wafer agreement with GF, did GloFo find out that the secret ingredient for Ryzen is actually people or what

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Why in the world does AMD still have a wafer agreement with GF, did GloFo find out that the secret ingredient for Ryzen is actually people or what

AMD will probably renegotiate the WSA for Polaris 12, Vega 10 and Semicustom. IIRC, it all terminates in 2020 anyway.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
There is probably no path to profitability for GloFo, but the next gen consoles are no doubt going to be 7nm so what exactly will GloFo be producing? Chipsets?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

There is probably no path to profitability for GloFo, but the next gen consoles are no doubt going to be 7nm so what exactly will GloFo be producing? Chipsets?

I don't think Semicustom will be entirely 7nm consoles, but yeah I guess? Speaking of chipsets, AMD just needs to buy ASMedia already.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
They need to get the BoM down given the die sizes they will need on the graphics portion of the SoC, so 7nm seems... likely. Especially so given nothing has yet leaked about ps5/xbox two xXx

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Risky Bisquick posted:

They need to get the BoM down given the die sizes they will need on the graphics portion of the SoC, so 7nm seems... likely. Especially so given nothing has yet leaked about ps5/xbox two xXx

They may have done the math out and figured that early 7nm is so expensive via quadruple imaging and associated processing and yields that it makes more sense to just eat the extra die area and heat costs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EmpyreanFlux posted:

AMD will probably renegotiate the WSA for Polaris 12, Vega 10 and Semicustom. IIRC, it all terminates in 2020 anyway.

quote:

Because of the strategy shift, GF will cut 5% of its staff as well as renegotiate its WSA and IP-related deals with AMD and IBM. In a bid to understand more what is going on, we sat down with Gary Patton, CTO of GlobalFoundries.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

Oh I'm not saying that the PS5 and XboX Triple X won't be 7nm completely, rather AMD does have other semicustom designs already on 14/12nm, such as the Subor Z+. Those'll likely continue to be produced until 2020 probably.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Navi HAS to be on 7nm. From AMD's standpoint, this is going to be non-negotiable, especially if the rumours are that the 20XX series of Nvidia cards is going to be shortened because they had to push back the release date so much because of 10XX series oversupply, because whatever comes after for Nvidia will most certainly also be on 7nm.

And if whatever winds up in the PS5 and/or XBOX 2020 is an APU of the non-MCM variety, then they too, will be 7nm as well, because of how AMD plans on scaling Navi upwards into discrete GPUs.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 28, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EmpyreanFlux posted:

GlobalFoundries™; A subsidiary of Samsung© 中国科学院

^ seems more likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Welp. Be interesting to see the new agreement they create with AMD until 2020.