Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dramicus posted:

I don't want to poo poo on your parade or anything, but it's possible we might see the end of the plateau in the next few weeks, depending on how good zen2 turns out.

Or, we just have to wait until the next Intel security flaw gets exposed, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's fun to see Intel get their just deserts after the last ~10 years, but ideally they will get their poo poo together too, so we can have 2 good processor companies at the same time. That would be nice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dramicus posted:

It's fun to see Intel get their just deserts after the last ~10 years, but ideally they will get their poo poo together too, so we can have 2 good processor companies at the same time. That would be nice.

I feel the processor market is a bit cyclical. AMD took over in the early 2000s for a year or so when they came out with x86-64, a 64 bit architecture that didn't require a reinvention of the wheel like Intel's did. Intel then took over once they worked their kinks out.

However, this feels a bit different. The side-channel vulnerabilities, coupled with the die-shrink issues, means they'll be lagging behind for more than a year in this case. Add on that AMD has really good multi-threading and you can see them making significant inroads into Intel's market share.

I think Intel will still win out on single-thread applications, but who knows if they will end up pissing away that advantage too.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

iospace posted:

I feel the processor market is a bit cyclical. AMD took over in the early 2000s for a year or so when they came out with x86-64, a 64 bit architecture that didn't require a reinvention of the wheel like Intel's did. Intel then took over once they worked their kinks out.

However, this feels a bit different. The side-channel vulnerabilities, coupled with the die-shrink issues, means they'll be lagging behind for more than a year in this case. Add on that AMD has really good multi-threading and you can see them making significant inroads into Intel's market share.
It is different because last time it had more to do with Intel loving up and ditching P6 for NetBurst and using the incompatible and expensive Itanium as their sole 64 bit effort, and AMD sticking with incremental changes of the K7.

K8 wasn’t really faster because it was 64 bit, but it went a long way in the marketability of those CPU’s and made AMD look like a legitimate market leader for the first time.

This time Intel doesn’t have any old designs to fall back on to bail them out.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Laslow posted:

It is different because last time it had more to do with Intel loving up and ditching P6 for NetBurst and using the incompatible and expensive Itanium as their sole 64 bit effort, and AMD sticking with incremental changes of the K7.

K8 wasn’t really faster because it was 64 bit, but it went a long way in the marketability of those CPU’s and made AMD look like a legitimate market leader for the first time.

This time Intel doesn’t have any old designs to fall back on to bail them out.
Agreed, K8 was faster more primarily because of the integration of the memory controller, and the 64 bit part was just icing. AMD generally seems to understand that the future of computing always involves integrating more of the system into the CPU package as time, size, and cost needs have allowed. Modern Zen/TR/Epyc parallel this in that AMD took a leap on system-within-a-socket CPU chiplet architectures, while Intel keeps taping out bigger and more complex unique chip sizes and internal arches to scale up and market segment their products.

If I had to guess, Intel will replicate Ryzen, but they don't need an old chip design for that - they can take -Lake derivative 10 nm parts and package those within multi-chiplet single socket configurations. They'd be a few revisions behind on inter-chiplet data transport, but if option 2 is increasingly strange core configurations within 64+ core dies, they've little choice.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I read an article back a while back that said essentially that there's a well known and studied list of vulns which chip makers were expected to design around, but Intel didn't because of the performance cost. AMD did try, which is why it wasn't hit with as many of these issues.

It's basically always cheaper to ignore security... until it isn't :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I read an article back a while back that said essentially that there's a well known and studied list of vulns which chip makers were expected to design around, but Intel didn't because of the performance cost. AMD did try, which is why it wasn't hit with as many of these issues.

Oh man, got a source for this?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sapphire PR rep apparently says Navi launching July 7th at $399 (vs 2060) and $499 (vs 2070). Announcement at Computex next week, supposedly. No high end variant coming.

https://videocardz.com/80720/sapphire-preparing-two-radeon-navi-models-for-july-7th-launch

E: meant to post in GPU thread gently caress

Cygni fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 21, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
S'all good, It's all the same AMD platfrom anyways, and you know it's gonna wind up in an APU sooner or later.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

An apu arch change is good for me, because it might prompt them to finally support 4k Netflix. Then I'll have an excuse to build a tiny sff htpc.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

A new Adoredtv is up. He goes into detail about x570 and why it has those fans over the chipset.

He also claims to have a Cinebench score of 4278 for a 16 core part @4.2.

Other interesting things too.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Cygni posted:

Sapphire PR rep apparently says Navi launching July 7th at $399 (vs 2060) and $499 (vs 2070). Announcement at Computex next week, supposedly. No high end variant coming.

https://videocardz.com/80720/sapphire-preparing-two-radeon-navi-models-for-july-7th-launch

E: meant to post in GPU thread gently caress

Oooh, 2070 performance at the price of a...nice 2070 from evga and massive warranty

Why would I want that vs nvidia offerings? I guess having competition at all at the gtx 1080/rtx 2070 level is good. Also I consider 2070 to be high end, when you remember that the 2080 is a gtx 1080ti with less ram E: this is illuminated even better when you look at how the 2070 compares to say, the top 20 video cards on steam hardware survey, with the further realization that a huge chunk of those are probably mobile cards, at that

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 21, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If it is 2070 performance and does it while using less power, it'll be interesting. But I'll be surprised if it needs less then 250W to do it.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Budzilla posted:

A new Adoredtv is up. He goes into detail about x570 and why it has those fans over the chipset.

He also claims to have a Cinebench score of 4278 for a 16 core part @4.2.

Other interesting things too.

Other interesting thing being that a separate source that doubted the leaked list said that AMD sent out 12c part that boosted up to 5 GHz.

I want to believe.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

If it is 2070 performance and does it while using less power, it'll be interesting. But I'll be surprised if it needs less then 250W to do it.

If it does that, I'll take it purely because it will give me less headaches getting it working in VMs.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I would. I wonder how well it will undervolt.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Statutory Ape posted:

Oooh, 2070 performance at the price of a...nice 2070 from evga and massive warranty

Why would I want that vs nvidia offerings? I guess having competition at all at the gtx 1080/rtx 2070 level is good. Also I consider 2070 to be high end, when you remember that the 2080 is a gtx 1080ti with less ram E: this is illuminated even better when you look at how the 2070 compares to say, the top 20 video cards on steam hardware survey, with the further realization that a huge chunk of those are probably mobile cards, at that

The reason I picked the 2070 is it feels like the 670 of 7 years ago: good performance at the current resolution limit (4k) and no significant advantage in the higher offering (2080/1080ti). Raytracing is cool but I think it'll be a while still before those kinks get worked out.

The other thing is AMD has a ways to go to make inroads into the GPU market. They're definitely creeping in on Intel's territory though for CPUs.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I think the real winners are people who bought a 1080ti when they first came out. It looks like it will be perfectly valid for a long time to come.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Being on 2560x1600, my olde 980Ti still performs great. The only time I wish I had more is playing various simulation games in VR, but even that's not the biggest deal since cockpits are static anyway.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Dramicus posted:

I think the real winners are people who bought a 1080ti when they first came out. It looks like it will be perfectly valid for a long time to come.

I was just about to post this exact sentiment. Probably one of my better PC purchases. My worst being an idiot and upgrading from a 2500K to 6600K because my upgrade itch needed scratching.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gigabyte pushed some BIOS updates that appear to allow for PCIe 4 on x470 and b450. Gigabyte isn't saying anything yet and I don't think anybody has actually tried it with a PCIe 4 card (for maybe obvious reasons), but looks promising.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14364/gigabyte-am4-motheboards-pcie-4-ready-for-ryzen-3000

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

jisforjosh posted:

I was just about to post this exact sentiment. Probably one of my better PC purchases. My worst being an idiot and upgrading from a 2500K to 6600K because my upgrade itch needed scratching.

At least you'll be able to upgrade to zen2 and get (hopefully) an increase in clocks in addition to a shitload of new cores. 4 to 12 or 16 is a decent jump.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

I really wish I'd bought a 1080ti. Instead I have this loud as hell 1080 that has fan rattling that's getting worse and worse as time goes by. I catch a 2080 below $600(that isn't Zotac) and I'll probably buy it just to get rid of this loving thing.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Definitely glad about upgrading from a 1070 to a used 1080ti for $300ish after reselling the 1070 instead of waiting for the RTX cards. Though the 3550 held it back a lot in metro exodus/few other things wrt to low end framerate. Really hoping Zen2 is good.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's a guy here selling mining 1080ti's for $300. It's probably worth the risk :v:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

fknlo posted:

There's a guy here selling mining 1080ti's for $300. It's probably worth the risk :v:

Should be fine. My understanding is that Pascal cards were undervolted and sometimes underclocked for mining with high airflow over the cards for maximum uptimes and lowest power usage.

Edit: Would probably need to replace the thermal compound but they may still have warranty depending on the mfg.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 21, 2019

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'll let you know after I've talked to the guy ;)

Hell, I might try and buy 2 at that price so I have a backup.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That's kind of a red flag, market value is around $550 still. He could put $500 on them and they'd sell for $475 or whatever in a week, there's no reason to drop 45% below their market value to move them.

Kinda suspect you're about to get mugged and your $600 taken but whatever, it's your money. If he's legit then SA group buy time!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I sell things of similar value for similar discounts on craigslist et al when i just want to move them and regain some liquidity

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's kind of a red flag, market value is around $550 still. He could put $500 on them and they'd sell for $475 or whatever in a week, there's no reason to drop 45% below their market value to move them.

Kinda suspect you're about to get mugged and your $600 taken but whatever, it's your money. If he's legit then SA group buy time!

Sometimes you have to end up in a guys sex dungeon in order to hunt down the best deals. I pretty much always do CL transactions in very public places.

e: the guy may be into hot air balloons, cellar sex dungeon seems super likely. I legit might buy 2 of them. At that price, even if one of them was poo poo and the other worked it's still not the worst deal ever.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 21, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I would feel pretty ripped off if I got one 1080ti in 2019, used, for 600, given that I got one brand new from evga with triple fans for 699 in early 2018

e: I lied it was dec 2017

Worf fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 21, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

I would feel pretty ripped off if I got one 1080ti in 2019, used, for 600, given that I got one brand new from evga with triple fans for 699 in early 2018

e: I lied it was dec 2017

I see them listed on CL for $600+ all the time. It seriously wouldn't be the worst deal if I bought 2 and only one of them worked.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I picked up a used EVGA 2080 for about 600, and while I was kicking myself for spending so much on a GPU, it works fine and still has 2 and a half years of EVGA's actually pretty good warranty.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

fknlo posted:

I really wish I'd bought a 1080ti. Instead I have this loud as hell 1080 that has fan rattling that's getting worse and worse as time goes by. I catch a 2080 below $600(that isn't Zotac) and I'll probably buy it just to get rid of this loving thing.

You should still have at least a week left on the warranty. I'd RMA it and see what they send you.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just because they are listed for 600 doesn't mean they sell at that. It's to preempt lowballers. I would bet most of them probably sell at 400 - 475.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Dramicus posted:

Just because they are listed for 600 doesn't mean they sell at that. It's to preempt lowballers. I would bet most of them probably sell at 400 - 475.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fsrp=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=gtx%201080%20ti&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&_udlo=440&rt=nc&_udhi=490

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Well, I guess it is a nice box.

Edit: that's weird. When I opened the link from my phone it showed a 1080ti (box only) and some other junk, now that I opened it from my computer it actually shows the GPUs.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 21, 2019

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What's the best bet for a mobo that will be compatible with zen 2 and can do overclocking with little fuss ? I was thinking like the 3600x at that point, but I was wanting a 1600 in the meantime

Oh and the reason i was even going to post in this thread was seeing that we might not get a reveal at computex. That sucks, I was waiting for that!

Edit: my wife will be using this current rig and with zen2 being released later, we wanted to go ahead and get something so we could play games in the meantime. I see a lot of talk about the b450? Tomahawk.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Tomahawk seems to be default answer for a decent board that should be compatible and is already a good board.

I recently went with an ASRock B450 Pro and a 1700 and I'm thinking I should've went Tomahawk.

The ASRock is a nice board, with 2x NVMe slots but I can't figure out how to overclock my 1700 and have it dynamically adjust. Last time I clocked it to 4GHz it just stayed at 4GHz. Permanently.

I'm probably doing something wrong but I wish the ASRock BIOS was more user friendly.

No complaints apart from that but you're probably best off with a Tomahawk.