Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ratbert90 posted:

Serious talk: why would anybody have a glass panel on their case?
My case sits on the floor, and I sure as gently caress don't care what's in it, so long as it's incredibly powerful and can allow me to compile things really really fast. :shrug:

Some people like things that you dont like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

iospace posted:

Hello

Thanks all for the help! I greatly appreciate it :getin:

e: I just realized I forgot to hook my front audio jacks up again, whoops.

Do you have my case, a Corsair Carbide 400R?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like my tempered glass side panel :shrug: It’s very sound dampening.

The asus LEDs change colour based on temperature so it is kind of neat to monitor the gpu temperature that way. I don’t actually have any other leds in the case tho.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ratbert90 posted:

My case sits on the floor, and I sure as gently caress don't care what's in it, so long as it's incredibly powerful and can allow me to compile things really really fast. :shrug:

I could car less about RGB lighting (I thought it was dumb when it was cold cathode lighting 15 years ago too), but I do find it really handy that my headless server has a window since it makes it possible to see if the CPU fan has powered down when I'm waiting for it to shutdown/reboot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spasticColon posted:

Do you have my case, a Corsair Carbide 400R?

Yes it is! I had to double check, but it's served me well.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ratbert90 posted:

There are a lot of bad people in the world. RGB and glass panels are there so we can tell who they are.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

My AMD build is in this :
I wanted something that was not going to be too tall and when I saw that it just looked really fun to build in so I snatched it up. Its really modular and fun.

No RGB components at all, didn't really buy it for the window but its dark as heck in there and so I don't mind the window.

E: corsair carbide air 240

Worf fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 23, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love my Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic. It's a good and clean design and the windows show it off. Also all my pretty lights :pcgaming:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The antithesis of my old Antec Three Hundred, quite literally. Whereas the Antec had nearly-nonexistent cable management, the H500 has it in spades.

I quite like seeing my nice PC parts and the :pcgaming: light show they provide.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

look dont you judge my old school plexiglass panel with a purple cathode tube powered off a molex connector circa 2005

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KKKLIP ART posted:

look dont you judge my old school plexiglass panel with a purple cathode tube powered off a molex connector circa 2005

Don't doxx my 2003 computer.

With a GeForce 5200 :negative:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Khorne posted:

This case goes on sale frequently. It has the beige full tower aesthetic.
If your clear-windowed computer, keyboard, mouse, mousepad, and desk don't have rainbow RGB you clearly weren't born post-y2k and aren't buying into the latest computer fashion trends.

gently caress man, when I was building PCs, people were joking about how the all-black PCs that were all the rage gave you 10% faster performance, commensurate with the absurd price tags on the fancy new ~black~ bezels and cases.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

fknlo posted:

I love my Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic. It's a good and clean design and the windows show it off. Also all my pretty lights :pcgaming:

Hell yeah PC-011 crew. RGB all day erry day

IRL the fan RGB is way more subdued and more inline with the gray-blue of the keyboard lights

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

jisforjosh posted:

Hell yeah PC-011 crew. RGB all day erry day

IRL the fan RGB is way more subdued and more inline with the gray-blue of the keyboard lights

:hfive:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 23, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I thought RGB was neat until I got a load of the software. Open source please for the love of god.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cygni posted:

The problem is that there aren't really a lot of nice looking cases without a drat window.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The problem is that there aren't really a lot of nice looking cases without a drat window.

Word! I have yet to find (in a store) any cabinet I like the look of. No RGB. Just straight up solid and clean.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

iSimian posted:

Word! I have yet to find (in a store) any cabinet I like the look of. No RGB. Just straight up solid and clean.

Fractal design define comes to mind

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
FD all the way.

eames
May 9, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Fractal design define comes to mind

Yeah, a black Fractal Design R6 without a window is about as close as it gets. It may not look great but that’s what I’d buy today.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cygni posted:

Deviants

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't like that brushed metal look that these FD cases have. Something plain and matte black, and decent airflow, would be sweet.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It is annoying that the most important things in cases, airflow and silence, have taken HUGE backseats to external and internal aesthetics and you now have to spend 2-3 times as much as you should to get a basic, functional case.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like Phanteks cases. The Enthoo Evolv is my current one and it’s great with a uATX in there. They have less fancy cases that are really solid too.

Corsair and Fractal Designs are my other favs.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I'm extremely happy with my Darkbase 900. The noise and temperature levels are excellent. I removed the HDD cages and didn't install the LED strips so It looks super clean.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

my main case is a big, black, matte fractal with no window, no fun, no lights, and no noise (sans the ftw3 when gaming)

iirc its 42 lbs empty

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
So are we going to get Zen 2 news at Computex or is it going to be pushed back to Hotchips in August?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

spasticColon posted:

So are we going to get Zen 2 news at Computex or is it going to be pushed back to Hotchips in August?

Yeah the rumors are still for a July launch so Computex will probably be the announcement.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

spasticColon posted:

I'm be downright shocked if we don't get a full announcement at Computex. Motherboard bios updates have been done for months and X570 motherboards are showing up all over the place.

As far as I can tell, the only reason the "delayed until Hot Chips" rumor started is that it was announced that Dr. Su would be doing a presentation on Zen 2 there, but that doesn't mean that's when the announcement is going to be.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

X570 is def coming at Computex at least, the board makers already announced that. Seems very likely we get some more Zen 2 details. I also imagine they are going to do a rolling announcement/release schedule like they have done for the last few launches, so they may only announce a few skus at Computex.

AMD is also gonna have info at HotChips too, Matisse is explicitly on the agenda and Su has the first days keynote.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14349/hot-chips-31-2019-programme-announced-zen-navi-power-lakefield-genz-turing-lisa-su-keynote

e: should note that Su also has the lead keynote at Computex at 10am on May 27th.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 23, 2019

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I wonder if Hotchips might be more EPYC, Threadripper, and Radeon Pro oriented? The program looks a little more enterprise/professional in content.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Hot chips is supposed to be a Zen 2 architectural deep dive

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
99% chance it's announced at Computex IMO. I was a disbeliever that they would launch on 7/7 but there are some rumors around that date now. I think it may be sooner, a six-week prelaunch window is very long by previous releases and by industry standards in general, but I guess it's possible.

If Su blueballs the crowd again they're going to start booing lol. That would be as big a fail as the "RX Vega name reveal" incident. I just can't see it happening, the time is right.

Who knows with Navi but I'm expecting some updates on that at least, probably a launch window, and perhaps even a soft-launch.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 23, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
There's supposed to be some Navi news during E3 so there's always time to put off talking about it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Navi is supposedly going double the width. What is that expected to do? Will it get close to anywhere near the 2080s?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
MSI's YouTube channel had a stream showing off Computex stuff, including X570 but also some of their monitors and attempts at cases etc. Basically anything you can slap RGB on.

Here's the discussion about the mobo cooler, transcribed by pcgamesn:

quote:

MSI has leveraged the work the VGA team has done on making the company’s graphics cards as quiet as possible and that means the motherboard division has been able to take the old TwinFrozr 4 fan design and apply it to the diminutive spinner on its motherboards. Not only has it got the detailed fan blades of an MSI GPU, but its X570 boards are also including a 0dB mode too.

On its graphics cards the ZeroFrozr feature acts like a semi-passive cooler, with the fan staying idle – and therefore silent – until the GPU hits a certain temperature. On its graphics cards that’s around the 60°C mark, but the presenters on the MSI stream wouldn’t divulge the temperature trigger that sparks the chipset fan into action.

They did mention, however, that during gaming and certain other applications it would spin up, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you will hear it.

“You will have probably a big CPU cooler,” says Peter Arts, product marketing officer at MSI, ”you will have a graphics card in there, your case will have fans. So one small fan… you probably won’t hear it, you won’t notice it.”

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Fresh new X470 for my 1700X. What the gently caress is up with hiding the primary M.2 slot under a loving heatsink? Just built the whole rig only to discover that the BIOS wouldn't recognize my SSD, because the open M.2 slot on the motherboard ISN'T the real M.2 slot, it's the secret bullshit bonus M.2 slot that doesn't support SATA for absolutely no reason. Way to go, ASRock, really great work on your complete and total lack of any documentation warning people that the visible M.2 slot on the board won't work whatsoever. I love taking apart a rig I just spent an hour cleaning and re-building

EDIT: Holy poo poo. Guess what the only place that mentions the hidden M.2 slot is? It's the feature description on the back of the outer box carton. The thing that usually gets thrown out immediately (I tend to just keep the inner box the mobo comes in for extra wires and screws)

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 23, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
You know motherboards come with manuals right? There's a list of connectors and a diagram telling you which does what.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i bet the m2 slot that doesnt work with sata probably has a pcie interface

which specific AS rock model did you get? every mobo ive had has had a cheat sheet that details exactly where everything is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Llamadeus posted:

You know motherboards come with manuals right? There's a list of connectors and a diagram telling you which does what.

lol, the manual doesn't. It lists M.2SSD_1 AND M.2SSD_2 implying that there are multiple slots, but doesn't say anything else. It shows you a diagram of how to install a M.2 drive if you have no idea, but it has absolutely nothing about multiple slots or even that there is a difference between slots. The rest of the manual is just different languages

EDIT: The Chinese language section, three-quarters of the way through, has a map at the beginning of its section :psyduck: I think this manual is just a misprint or something because I don't have those pages at the start of the English section

barnold fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 23, 2019