Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mofabio posted:

Such a dumb waste of energy, what does anybody actually need calculated that quickly.

Weather. I can see some supercomputers putting on a squeeze like that but usually they make that up with core count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Which is gonna need even more computing power for error-correction, because loving weather forecasting, telecom uber alles, right Ajit Pai?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Which is gonna need even more computing power for error-correction, because loving weather forecasting, telecom uber alles, right Ajit Pai?

Literal jamming of weather sensors to own the libs

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
We’ve entered the twilight zone with Paul making GBS threads on Intel in the AMD thread. A sight to behold

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Sub Rosa posted:

stockfish benchmark stuff

Ah, cool, thanks! Done, for the machines I have now. I'll update when I get my hands on a 3900X: https://firepear.net/grid/ryzen3900/#stockfish-chess-benchmark

Edit: this app exhibits some of the best SMT scaling I've ever seen, btw. Whatever it's doing, it's highly amenable to having extra integer and scheduling units available. Also, in doing these tests I discovered that my 2700's motherboard was clocking its memory at 2133MHz instead of 3000MHz. Fixing that resulted in a 5% performance gain.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 20, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

SwissArmyDruid posted:

he's such a hollow mouthed piece of poo poo shill :barf:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dramicus posted:

Do they really though? I don't think there are many people who are inherently loyal to Intel, not like the guys who doggedly stuck with bulldozer until Ryzen.
A certain percent of people are just crazy: there are lockheed-martin fanboys out there. :grovertoot: But I don't think there are as many Intel fanboys as there are anti-AMD weirdos -- like the guys who show up in the comments of anything about radeon gpus talking about drivers as if nothing's changed since ATI.

Disregarding fanboys, the thing that matters is that the guys who regularly buy a new high-end K every generation just aren't going to buy new systems at all. Even if they *would* buy whichever has the best gaming performance, Zen 2 isn't a drastic improvement on a 9700k. The most profitable segment of the market for Intel will be a blank this year. All the people posting in the thread about buying new Ryzens to replace their old Bridge/Haswell/Broadwell systems are the money Intel is missing out on.

Risky Bisquick posted:

We’ve entered the twilight zone with Paul making GBS threads on Intel in the AMD thread. A sight to behold

And he's suddenly got a goatee too, what's up with that?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've seen plenty of build help requests (less here, but here too sometimes) that say "Intel/Nvidia only please". They're not weird about it like the AMD people but the notion that real gamers use Intel is going to be difficult to dislodge, especially if the 9900k holds any ST advantage at all.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I would expect Intel and Nvidia to still have some advantages from how games are optimised simply because developers know there's a much bigger install base for that hardware, regardless of whether Zen 2 is better on paper.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ItBreathes posted:

I've seen plenty of build help requests (less here, but here too sometimes) that say "Intel/Nvidia only please". They're not weird about it like the AMD people but the notion that real gamers use Intel is going to be difficult to dislodge, especially if the 9900k holds any ST advantage at all.
AMD is going to beat Intel on price and supply. Performance should be a tossup and title dependent. Probably 5.1-5.3GHz Intel CPUs will retain a few percent lead. Probably there are a few extremely latency sensitive titles out there. At the same time, there are titles AMD should have a clear lead on.

It will also depend on whether people disable security fixes or not, and Intel is gaming release season by deliberately releasing the latest security fix after Zen2 releases.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 20, 2019

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I bought 32GB of 4000 MHz DDR4 RAM that's just been sitting in the box because my current motherboard wouldn't be able to do anything with it. I'm getting antsy on picking up an x570 Mobo and a 3900, but nobody seems to be taking pre-orders on either yet, despite them being some two and a half weeks away from release.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Gamers are predominantly cheap. Sure there are those guys who make systems worth several thousand dollars, but the vast majority of gamers are in the i5/1060 category. If AMD can put out value at that price level, I'm sure people will flock to it. Word gets around quickly.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder what will happen when Intel gets its poo poo together properly, which seems inevitable.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I wonder what will happen when Intel gets its poo poo together properly, which seems inevitable.

Their 10nm process is hosed and they are years away from their 7nm being viable. Their monolithic die architecture will make it increasingly harder and harder to get good yields with sufficient performance and thermals to compete against AMD dialing up the core count on low-end systems. Moving to a similar chiplet architecture on the current 14nm process would take at least 2 years, though maybe their 7nm process will be ready by then. It's going to be a while.

My best guess is that they'll move to a similar chiplet architecture but with 8-core complexes instead of 4 in an attempt to edge AMD out on single thread performance.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Foveros looks really good...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

iospace posted:

Dude, I specced out an AMD based "gently caress all of you" computer for comparison, and it had a 2990WX, 2080Ti, 128 GB RAM, 2 TB M.2 SSD, and 4 TB HDD and it still came under 5 grand :v:

Gave it a cheap rear end case though, but still.

I did the same! The only wrinkle was that the Mac Pro maxes out at over a terabyte of RAM, which IDK maybe you can do on some EPYC board, but not on any of the TR boards I could find. The main use case for that much RAM that I know of is keeping a live DB in memory, but a vanishingly small number of people would need that in a workstation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I mean, sooner or later they will. They didn't hire Jim Keller to host their departmental tea parties. And they're one of the largest semiconductor companies on the planet, they're not going to just fold.

There's nothing super special about Infinity Fabric, it's just the modern branding for AMD's front-side bus, and Intel has QPI. That's how Intel is doing those 56C Xeons, and how they used to do Pentium D in the past. If they start putting more QPI links on their consumer chips they could do threadripper-style NUMA designs pretty easily and there's no reason they couldn't start engineering for an IO die approach as well. They don't need to exactly replicate the CCX - their "CCX" could be one ringbus. Obviously if the link is going off-die it would be higher latency, but in principle it's not terribly dissimilar from the dual-ring Haswell-EX designs.

They can also de-tangle their uarchs from their process nodes. Rocket Lake is supposedly a step in that direction, but if they intend to be on 14nm for another 2 years they really need to start porting Ice Lake CPU stuff back to 14nm as well. There needs to be a Cooper Lake for consumer platform. That would (supposedly) put them mildly ahead of Zen2 IPC, and perhaps on par with Zen3. If not they're probably at a ~15% IPC loss to AMD next year and that's simply not tenable especially as AMD pushes up the clocks on 7nm.

As for "when", who knows. Zen has been public for 2.5 years now, Intel might have gotten wind of it ahead of time. Assuming a 5-year product cycle, that might put the response in a year or two. BK has been out for a year now, and I'd assume the new CEO has lit a fire under the rear end of manufacturing and architecture.

They could respond with price cuts in the meantime, but they'd need to be really deep to stay competitive. AMD is offering 12C at $500, Intel would need to offer the upcoming Comet Lake 10C at like $400, $450 tops, to stay competitive. That doesn't fit neatly into the i7/i9 pricing scheme but roughly something like 10C = i7. I guess that leaves i3=6C12T and i5=8C16T. Sounds extreme but that's basically what AMD is offering and Intel either follows or gets left behind.

Knowing Intel it'll be something dopey like the i7 is 10C but has hyperthreading disabled and then they screw up the rest of the lineup to follow (8C16T would beat 10C10T so it needs to be gone there too, etc etc). The only way I see the math working is if they just straight-up make the i7 10C20T, any other configuration they're just handing AMD this generation and probably next generation too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 21, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ItBreathes posted:

I've seen plenty of build help requests (less here, but here too sometimes) that say "Intel/Nvidia only please".

One niche to keep in mind: people who want to run MacOS (or try it out, or at least have the option in their pocket) have had Intel drilled into their heads. You’ll know who they are now because they’ll say “Intel with AMD graphics please.”

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Their 10nm process is hosed and they are years away from their 7nm being viable. Their monolithic die architecture will make it increasingly harder and harder to get good yields with sufficient performance and thermals to compete against AMD dialing up the core count on low-end systems. Moving to a similar chiplet architecture on the current 14nm process would take at least 2 years, though maybe their 7nm process will be ready by then. It's going to be a while.

My best guess is that they'll move to a similar chiplet architecture but with 8-core complexes instead of 4 in an attempt to edge AMD out on single thread performance.

AMD is already on 8-core CCUs with Zen 2, so they will still be a step behind.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AMD is already on 8-core CCUs with Zen 2.

No, still 4-core complexes, 2 CCXs per chiplet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Wait, I thought that was the entire loving point of moving to 8-core dies, so that you could merge the L3 caches together for coherency! JFC, even when AMD is doing fine, they still find a way to disappoint.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Craptacular! posted:

One niche to keep in mind: people who want to run MacOS (or try it out, or at least have the option in their pocket) have had Intel drilled into their heads. You’ll know who they are now because they’ll say “Intel with AMD graphics please.”

Fair, but I'm talking people building gaming systems. There are a nonzero number of people out there who, often for historically valid reason, won't considering building AMD.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

moving to 8-core dies

What do you mean "moving"? Zen/Zen+ were an 8-core die too... two 4-core CCXs per die.

Despite the CCX architecture, Zeppelin is a monolithic die. Only TR/Epyc were MCM products.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait, I thought that was the entire loving point of moving to 8-core dies, so that you could merge the L3 caches together for coherency! JFC, even when AMD is doing fine, they still find a way to disappoint.

I think Rome is for the Eypc chips but not the Zen2 Ryzen stuff. That was my impression anyhow.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
The 3700 (8c/16t) is 1 CPU+stuff die and 1 I/O die, right? Its just the 3900 and 3950 that use 2 CPU+stuff dies and an I/O die?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
What's the deal with Ryzen 3 APUs? All I could find was the 3400g, which despite the model number is 12nm. My company will be buying a batch of PCs soon and it would be great to get all dem sweet cores

If there are no 7nm APUs coming within the next couple of months, what cheap options are there for adding basic (i.e. office level) graphics capability to an AMD system?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There may be chiplet-based APUs coming at some point but Raven Ridge-style 7nm monolithic APUs probably won't be until next year and may be 4C again.

The absolute cheapest display adapters are still Tesla-based (GT210/GT730/etc) or Terascale-based (Radeon 5450/6450). If you want something with actual modern driver support I'd look at a RX 460, GT 1030, RX 570, or GTX 1050. If you want lots and lots of displayport outputs, probably a Quadro P400 or P600.

You can source the RX460 pretty cheap from sketchy ebay sellers (as low as $50) but both it and the 1030 have fairly limited display outputs. The other options are going to be a little more expensive, and by then you are starting to get up into the price of the P400 (DP can turn into HDMI 1.4 or DVI single-link with a passive adapter). The P400 is going to be easy to source from an actual hardware vendor like newegg or CDW and not sketchy ebay sellers so your purchasing dept may prefer that one. However it's the weakest processor as far as gaming goes (but this is office stuff).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 20, 2019

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

What's the deal with Ryzen 3 APUs? All I could find was the 3400g, which despite the model number is 12nm. My company will be buying a batch of PCs soon and it would be great to get all dem sweet cores

If there are no 7nm APUs coming within the next couple of months, what cheap options are there for adding basic (i.e. office level) graphics capability to an AMD system?

The Ryzen vs. Zen naming is confusing enough, but the APUs add another layer of complexity.

* There were no 1X00 APUs

* The first generation Ryzen APUs were the 2X00 models, which came out after all the 1X00 products and before any other 2X00 series products

* The 2X00 APUs were fabbed on a 14nm process, but with the architecture improvments that went into the 2X00 chips

* It is expected that the 3X00 APUs (which are, remember, the 2nd gen Ryzen APUs) will follow this trend. They'll be on 12nm, but will include 3X00 arch improvements. And from what I've read, the expectation is that they'll be monolithic instead of chiplets.

* Edit: And they are apparently NOT coming out before the rest of the 3X00 series. And then there's the Athlon 300 series, which has shown up in a laptop at Computex, but which AMD hasn't even mentioned. Who knows?

mdxi fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 20, 2019

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

mdxi posted:

* It is expected that the 3X00 APUs (which are, remember, the 2nd gen Ryzen APUs) will follow this trend. They'll be on 12nm, but will include 3X00 arch improvements. And from what I've read, the expectation is that they'll be monolithic instead of chiplets.

Backporting arch improvements happens very rarely, I would expect the only major change for the 3000 series APUs to be upgrading the iGPU to Navi.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Paul MaudDib posted:

Knowing Intel it'll be something dopey like the i7 is 10C but has hyperthreading disabled and then they screw up the rest of the lineup to follow (8C16T would beat 10C10T so it needs to be gone there too, etc etc). The only way I see the math working is if they just straight-up make the i7 10C20T, any other configuration they're just handing AMD this generation and probably next generation too.
The HT-less i7s will be branded "Security Edition" or some poo poo.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Arzachel posted:

Backporting arch improvements happens very rarely, I would expect the only major change for the 3000 series APUs to be upgrading the iGPU to Navi.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-3400g

Huh? They've already been announced to be 12 nm versions of the existing lineup (with Vega graphics) and are releasing on the 7th.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Llamadeus posted:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-3400g

Huh? They've already been announced to be 12 nm versions of the existing lineup (with Vega graphics) and are releasing on the 7th.

Oh, then it's even more underwhelming

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

mdxi posted:

Ah, cool, thanks! Done, for the machines I have now. I'll update when I get my hands on a 3900X: https://firepear.net/grid/ryzen3900/#stockfish-chess-benchmark

Edit: this app exhibits some of the best SMT scaling I've ever seen, btw. Whatever it's doing, it's highly amenable to having extra integer and scheduling units available. Also, in doing these tests I discovered that my 2700's motherboard was clocking its memory at 2133MHz instead of 3000MHz. Fixing that resulted in a 5% performance gain.

Thanks so much!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

What do you mean "moving"? Zen/Zen+ were an 8-core die too... two 4-core CCXs per die.

Despite the CCX architecture, Zeppelin is a monolithic die. Only TR/Epyc were MCM products.

I dunno what the gently caress I was thinking, anymore. All of the hypothetical topology mockups have, predictably, gotten buried by reporting on the real things now that AMD's released their official information so I can't find the thing that made me think what I thought, but the crux of the matter is that I thought that in re-arranging the two CCXes from a side-by-side configuration to over/under, it meant that Zen 2 dies were going to be one 8-core CCX per die with a completely coherent L3 cache per-die, instead of two four-core CCXes with their separate L3s per die.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

The absolute cheapest display adapters are still Tesla-based (GT210/GT730/etc) or Terascale-based (Radeon 5450/6450). If you want something with actual modern driver support I'd look at a RX 460, GT 1030, RX 570, or GTX 1050. If you want lots and lots of displayport outputs, probably a Quadro P400 or P600.
The super cheap options run about $40 on Amazon - not terrible but still a unfortunate extra cost just because AMD doesn't care about APUs.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Maybe they don’t think Ryzen APU’s are going to be very impressive regardless of if it’s Vega, Navi, or something actually good in there since they’re all saddled with DDR4 at the moment.

We’re not going to be able to guess how much DDR5 will boost those APU’s(hopefully into decent 1080p 3D territory) at the moment, but maybe they’ve got some idea.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If they're not busy working on 3700X with a GPU as the second chiplet, they're surely being crazy? There's got to be a reasonable market for people who want the high core count options for productivity reasons without the need for a dGPU. I know I'd love one to finally upgrade my linux box where a dGPU would just be a waste.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
It is really lovely that they made the embargo date the release date of the CPU. I know this is becoming more common but it still sucks.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Epyc pricing leaked;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

It is really lovely that they made the embargo date the release date of the CPU. I know this is becoming more common but it still sucks.

I feel the same way but I'm convincing myself that they'll also be out of stock for months as a consolation.