Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Server from 2017 is cooler, faster, and more parallel than a server from 2011, truly groundbreaking stuff.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Paul MaudDib posted:

Server from 2017 is cooler, faster, and more parallel than a server from 2011, truly groundbreaking stuff.

Also, judging from prices on V1 E5s, everyone migrated off those like two years ago when prices on Ebay tanked to like $80 for the E5-2670 v1. Not sure how many competitive places are still running those anymore...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kazinsal posted:

It was basically just LLVM with some patches.

LLVM with some patches could probably be pretty good, given the right patches, but no.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Turns out my RAM overclock wasn't stable, had to back down from 3200MHz to 2933MHz. It's all diminishing returns after that point anyway, right?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, I was like "cool" until I saw V1.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Presents purchase order to CEO with the words EPYC on it

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
So amd has Microsoft and Baidu as customers lined up?

I have no idea how big they actually are as customers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

At unspecified scale, it seems so.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Torpor posted:

So amd has Microsoft and Baidu as customers lined up?

I have no idea how big they actually are as customers.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/press-releases/Pages/amd-epyc-datacenter-2017jun20.aspx

Azure is #2 or has surpassed AWS in terms of revenue for cloud

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Lol I'm pretty sure my ASRock AB350 Fatal1ty Gaming K just died. Was working fine last night. Shut it off, went to bed, went to work this morning, came home went to turn on my computer and...... nothing. Everything else turns on fine the CPU fans are going, GPU turns on, I can hear my platter have storage drive turn on but absolutely no POST, beeps or anything with zero video output.

Uuuughhhhhhhhh

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wirth1000 posted:

Lol I'm pretty sure my ASRock AB350 Fatal1ty Gaming K just died. Was working fine last night. Shut it off, went to bed, went to work this morning, came home went to turn on my computer and...... nothing. Everything else turns on fine the CPU fans are going, GPU turns on, I can hear my platter have storage drive turn on but absolutely no POST, beeps or anything with zero video output.

Uuuughhhhhhhhh

Try resetting the CMOS before you write it off.

IIRC this is a mega pain in the rear end with AM4 though, since it now lives on the package, I remember reading that it takes like a half hour or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 21, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah I just can't troubleshoot until a couple hours from now. Pretty sure I'm still within my exchange window but still. Hopefully easy fix and not needing to resort to that.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

IIRC this is a mega pain in the rear end with AM4 though, since it now lives on the package, I remember reading that it takes like a half hour or something.

I've had to do this to clear an overclock on a basically identical motherboard, it takes no time at all. From the manual:

quote:

The illustration shows how jumpers are setup. When the jumper cap is placed on the pins, the jumper is “Short”. If no jumper cap is placed on the pins, the jumper is “Open”. The illustration shows a 3-pin jumper whose pin1 and pin2 are “Short” when a jumper cap is placed on these 2 pins.

CLRMOS1 allows you to clear the data in CMOS. To clear and reset the system parameters to default setup, please turn off the computer and unplug the power cord from the power supply. After waiting for 15 seconds, use a jumper cap to short pin2 and pin3 on CLRMOS1 for 5 seconds.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Trying to clear the CMOS didn't work. Rear USB ports aren't powering any of my peripherals either. I'm fairly certain this board is pooch lmao :smithicide:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Wirth1000 posted:

Trying to clear the CMOS didn't work. Rear USB ports aren't powering any of my peripherals either. I'm fairly certain this board is pooch lmao :smithicide:

Have you got a spare PSU you can try? Maybe it's failing to deliver power correctly :S

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

Uuuughhhhhhhhh
Tried the trick with pulling out the power cable and holding the power button for a minute (or however long it is)?

Usually this is for new hardware, but hey.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Measly Twerp posted:

Have you got a spare PSU you can try? Maybe it's failing to deliver power correctly :S

This is good advice. PSUs and spinny HDs seem to be my primary fail points these days.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Measly Twerp posted:

Unfortunately, no. It's a Corsair CS850M and a couple years old now. Carry over from the build just prior to this.

ufarn posted:

Tried the trick with pulling out the power cable and holding the power button for a minute (or however long it is)?

Usually this is for new hardware, but hey.

Yeah, I've pretty much gone through all the charging/discharging stuff there is to do at this point. I'm within my exchange date and 30-day manufacturer defect guarantee for Canada Computers so hopefully they won't give me poo poo about having to do an RMA through ASRock or whatever. I'm gonna swap it out for an ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS since they don't have anymore of hte ASRocks in stock by me unfortunately.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Phone posting to say I hate places that have to test out stuff before you return/exchange and the tech guys are always the most anti social shitlords

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Wirth1000 posted:

Unfortunately, no. It's a Corsair CS850M and a couple years old now. Carry over from the build just prior to this.

Yeah, I've pretty much gone through all the charging/discharging stuff there is to do at this point. I'm within my exchange date and 30-day manufacturer defect guarantee for Canada Computers so hopefully they won't give me poo poo about having to do an RMA through ASRock or whatever. I'm gonna swap it out for an ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS since they don't have anymore of hte ASRocks in stock by me unfortunately.

Be prepared to have them spend many minutes looking at the board in extreme detail trying to find signs of damage or the like.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Risky Bisquick posted:

Be prepared to have them spend many minutes looking at the board in extreme detail trying to find signs of damage or the like.

I stood there for 20 minutes as he went and grabbed brand new RAM and an unopened Ryzen 5 1600 and just cut them open so he could open palm slam it into the mobo and hook everything up. Hey, guess what? Didn't POST.

Also I'm an idiot and forgot to include the I/O shield so he refused to do the exchange until I brought that. They closed at 8pm. I'm actually livid not because of my mobo dying but what kind of place closes at 8pm on a weekday?!

Tomorrow I'm gonna swap it out for the ASUS PRIME B350 Plus which, thankfully, my Kingston RAM is on the QVL for so no more swappery doo.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I was browsing my local Micro Center store's open box clearance rack yesterday and was able to pick up an AsRock x370 Taichi, complete in original box, for $80.

Micro Center owns.

Fake edit: Anyone interested in a discounted AsRock AB350M Pro4?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Is there as much unreliability and issues for the X370 as there is for the B350? I assume it's just Zen being immature but I'm curious if a step up in chipset is also a step up in build quality.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Wirth1000 posted:

Is there as much unreliability and issues for the X370 as there is for the B350? I assume it's just Zen being immature but I'm curious if a step up in chipset is also a step up in build quality.

They're the same chipset with some features disabled on the B350, much like the R7 1700 and R5 1600 are the same with a couple cores disabled on the latter. So yes, the issues are basically the same if the issue is with the chipset.

That said, the build quality and auxiliary component selection on some X370 boards might be better, considering they're targeting the top end of the market segment.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 22, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SamDabbers posted:

They're the same chipset with some features disabled on the B350, much like the R7 1700 and R5 1600 are the same with a couple cores disabled on the latter. So yes, the issues are basically the same if the issue is with the chipset.

IINW, all the same-gen consumer grade AMD/Intel chipsets are using the exactly the same die with features disabled/enabled for a long time now. I believe the last time where that wasn't was during the Core 2 era.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Wirth1000 posted:

I stood there for 20 minutes as he went and grabbed brand new RAM and an unopened Ryzen 5 1600 and just cut them open so he could open palm slam it into the mobo and hook everything up. Hey, guess what? Didn't POST.

Also I'm an idiot and forgot to include the I/O shield so he refused to do the exchange until I brought that. They closed at 8pm. I'm actually livid not because of my mobo dying but what kind of place closes at 8pm on a weekday?!

Tomorrow I'm gonna swap it out for the ASUS PRIME B350 Plus which, thankfully, my Kingston RAM is on the QVL for so no more swappery doo.

Make sure you bring every single piece of paper, included cable, styrofoam, etc

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Wirth1000 posted:

Phone posting to say I hate places that have to test out stuff before you return/exchange and the tech guys are always the most anti social shitlords

Welcome to Fry's Electronics!

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

You can get the 1700x for under 300 from Walmart of all places if you chose in store pickup.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Microcenter cut all their AMD motherboard bundle discounts today. They were offering $100(!) off if you bought a Ryzen 7+mobo for the last few months, but thats been cut to $50. The $50 discount on the Ryzen 5 was cut to $30, which is the same they offer for Intel bundles.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

lamentable dustman posted:

You can get the 1700x for under 300 from Walmart of all places if you chose in store pickup.

The killer is that there's almost always going to be tax, and it was $300 on eBay tax-free a few weeks ago.

eames
May 9, 2009

lDDQD posted:

There's no B2 stepping, it's just techpowerup rumor mongering again.

somebody found this:

so there's hope that Threadripper will be B2 and fix annoying errata like the NPT GPU pass-through performance bug.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Paul MaudDib posted:

That was with beta pre launch hardware. All the AM4 stuff out there now is as easy to reset as any other PC.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I just set up a Ryzen 7 1700 with a 1080 Ti. I've installed the latest chipset drivers.

Is there any other setup I need to do to optimise my system?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eames posted:

so there's hope that Threadripper will be B2 and fix annoying errata like the NPT GPU pass-through performance bug.
Kind of makes sense, given that EPYC is all about PCIe lanes like a motherfucker, and uses them for intersocket comms. And B2 is supposedly about the uncore.

Question is whether Threadripper also gets the B2 stepping already, or whether they're running down their B1 stock on it first. I suppose it'd be an idea to monitor whether B2 Ryzens are showing up soon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That was with beta pre launch hardware. All the AM4 stuff out there now is as easy to reset as any other PC.

AM4 versus X299, which one requires gentler motherboard handling? :stonklol:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
At least AM4 doesn't fry your CPU, whenever you intent to use that weird upgrade path Intel thought up.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

shrike82 posted:

I just set up a Ryzen 7 1700 with a 1080 Ti. I've installed the latest chipset drivers.

Did you update your motherboard's BIOS?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Set the Windows Power Plan to Ryzen?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

shrike82 posted:

Check the ram speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

Overclock all cores to at least 3.7GHz.