Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

WhyteRyce posted:

No the best was when you realize you forgot to bend back some random tab that some rear end in a top hat put on the shield for some reason and now you have a piece of metal blocking your Ethernet port and now you start debating whether it's worth taking put the whole thing, trying to bend/break/snip the tab from outside the case, or just using a spare NIC you have laying around

I did this to myself a couple of weeks ago, right after mentally patting myself on the back for how the whole PC had gone together without a hitch.

Luckily for me the IO plate had enough flex I could get a pick and a spudger in there to carefully bend the tab up and over the Ethernet and USB ports I'd managed to block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

TheCoach posted:

At least we're slowly getting some episode cgi re-rendered by folks that have obtained the original sources
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgWXhuDG_E

I've been wondering how long until we see people use Blender or something to remake the effects from a show like this or the Star Treks that are not available in HD.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

It's a war crime that TNG-era Star Trek is not available in HD and officially will never be

They recorded on video tape at NTSC resolution so it just looks terrible even at the source

The least Viacom can do is at least follow fan cue and remaster using AI/deep learning

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just wait for my fan upscale where I deepfake picard into kirk.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

~this is me posting irl~

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a war crime that TNG-era Star Trek is not available in HD and officially will never be

They recorded on video tape at NTSC resolution so it just looks terrible even at the source

That's not true. TNG, DS9, and Voyager were all shot on 35mm film; they were edited on videotape. TNG was fully remastered from the film negatives a few years ago and had a Blu-Ray release, followed by eventual streaming availability.

Unfortunately, between limited demand for Blurays and CBS completely loving up on their sales strategy (they should have yanked the streaming rights and pulled as many of the DVD boxsets as they could prior to the release, but they didn't) they didn't make money on the project; barring something like some rich turbo-nerd cutting CBS a check to pay for it, it's extremely unlikely we'll get remastered DS9 or Voyager.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...-cpu-benchmarks

haha 5950x benchmark numbers go brr ect. ect.

Take with a grain of salt since it's the only benchmark sample, that was taken down, around so there's no way to verify it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

A mountain of salt. Never trust synthetics.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Tiger Lake is about 3,273 single core in that synthetic. Will be interesting to see if Rocket Lake's extra TDP/frequency can pull it up to Zen3. AMD with better single thread performance than anything Intel can make, 2004 is back.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
I LOVE THE WHITE STRIPES!

drat, thats a pretty good increase! Wooboy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

careful now

K8.0 posted:

Never trust synthetics.

Listen, Decker...

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's not true. TNG, DS9, and Voyager were all shot on 35mm film; they were edited on videotape. TNG was fully remastered from the film negatives a few years ago and had a Blu-Ray release, followed by eventual streaming availability.

Unfortunately, between limited demand for Blurays and CBS completely loving up on their sales strategy (they should have yanked the streaming rights and pulled as many of the DVD boxsets as they could prior to the release, but they didn't) they didn't make money on the project; barring something like some rich turbo-nerd cutting CBS a check to pay for it, it's extremely unlikely we'll get remastered DS9 or Voyager.

They'd have a pretty solid case for doing it for CBS All Access (or Paramount+ or whatever) if they wanted to attract people to the services. I'd probably keep my account going if there were regular releases of HD DS9 and HD Voyager when their other Star Trek series are on hiatus.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Cygni posted:

Tiger Lake is about 3,273 single core in that synthetic. Will be interesting to see if Rocket Lake's extra TDP/frequency can pull it up to Zen3. AMD with better single thread performance than anything Intel can make, 2004 is back.

The king is dead. Long live the king!

Need to dust off my Chaintech 939 mobo

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

"This is only the beginning of the reckoning. This is only the first sip, the first foretaste of a bitter cup which will be proffered to us year by year unless, by a supreme recovery of moral health and martial vigour, we arise again and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time."

Malcolm XML posted:

The king is dead. Long live the king!

Need to dust off my Chaintech 939 mobo

It's all about the DFI LANParty UT nForce3-250Gb. Goddamn I loved that board.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Nforce haunts my dreams

your friend wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Huski Chocolate is a lifestyle, not only a product. It's about adventure & expedition. Living life to the fullest. It's a perfect recovery drink after training, because of the healthy carbohydrate and protein content, easy to digest and perfect for replenishing tired muscles.

Malcolm XML posted:

Nforce haunts my dreams

I still dream about the NF7-S

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

That one abit mobo with a Lil fan was the hotness tho

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

movax posted:

around 550 browser tabs open
The gently caress is wrong with you?

I don't even have 550 bookmarks. Nevermind a huge loving mess of 500 tabs that are barely recognizable by favicon.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't even have 550 bookmarks. Nevermind a huge loving mess of 500 tabs that are barely recognizable by favicon.

I did this all the time back in highschool open a tab when something looks interesting go back when board. Never got around to even 1% of the stuff. For a bit I used a google sheet and just put links there but it got a bit cumbersome especially for video stuff and trying to describe it. I now throw interesting-ish looking things into a discord that is just me with categories by thread or whatever. Like say someone posts an article on AMD but I don't want to read it right now I might throw it into the AMD channel if I'm bored and get around to it great I get a second look, if I don't oh well. I mostly use it for video links though for when I'm not in a place I can really watch a 30 minute long video (which is why Discord is good since I can just play it in there).

If you are remotely doing anything close think about one of these, they include a backup and don't hot your RAM.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Maybe I should start doing that. I have like 20 firefox windows open.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Theophany posted:

u know i had that ASUS K8N nForce3 250 board with a Sempron 3100+ OCed and hard modded to be an A64 baby, nForce boys rise up

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cygni posted:

u know i had that ASUS K8N nForce3 250 board with a Sempron 3100+ OCed and hard modded to be an A64 baby, nForce boys rise up

I had an Epox nForce 4 9NPA+ SLI board with an Athlon 64 X2 3800+, paired up with 2x EVGA Geforce 6800GS cards in SLI back in the early 2006. Was probably the highest end system I ever built, relative to price/era.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

Soyo KT400s haunt my nightmares.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

"This is only the beginning of the reckoning. This is only the first sip, the first foretaste of a bitter cup which will be proffered to us year by year unless, by a supreme recovery of moral health and martial vigour, we arise again and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time."

Cygni posted:

Yes lad! Another gem from that era was the GeForce 6800GT which could easily be clocked up to 6800 Ultra performance without any real hardship, to the point where buying the Ultra made absolutely no financial sense.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I have a system where I keep things open in tabs throughout the week and as I wind down work on Fridays, I start to peck through them. I frequently have 100+ tabs open.

If it's for work, a project, or shopping, I find or make an appropriate bookmark folder for it. If it's music channels and stuff, that all gets its own bookmark folder, too.

If it's something I want to watch or read later, I throw it into Pocket (https://www.getpocket.com it rules).

E: had that as a draft for longer than I thought.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Think this belongs here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY8NLAfNi_M

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

THE ONLY JOKE HERE, IS HOW STRONG MY MUSCLES ARE.

Malcolm XML posted:

That one abit mobo with a Lil fan was the hotness tho

I miss Abit.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002
I LOVE THE WHITE STRIPES!

gently caress VIA. That is all.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Theophany posted:

The day I finally got rid of that wretched piece of poo poo was a glorious one.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed...889479037554688

I guess reviewers have gotten their Zen3s already.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Cygni posted:

SK8N nForce3 Pro/Opteron. I didnít even wait for them to release regular desktop CPUs/chipsets before jumping ship, I was that disloyal/impatient.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I work entirely more than is healthy, and I have a bad habit of leaving tabs open as 'come back to this sometime'. With Great Suspender, and Tab Outliner though, I can keep the windows separated on different virtual desktops and "roughly" categorized ó home stuff, work stuff per project (all Confluence tabs, etc.).

For thread relevancy, rather than be less of a chaotic person... throwing a TR at it (borrowed 3960X for now) + 128GB of RAM... and then settling in (So to speak) for another ~10 years when the Zen3 TRs come out.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You'll never get back to them, just close them all every now and then, if they're important you'll find your way back.

Also, work less, but that's a different conversation.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Anyone know why StoreMI bluescreens my computer during installation? Looks like something about a raid driver but I don't have any raid drives set up.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Zen 3 is the cpu the xboner foretold.

32mb of esram

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Get the fuck in your cage and shut the fuck up, you stupid fucking Mexicans. Your voice doesn't fucking matter unless you support OUR rapist.

OBAMA DID NOTHING WRONG

has chrome gotten any better at memory/CPU usage? it's fine for desktop use but i've been using safari on my MBP for the longest time coz chrome makes a noticeable dent on battery life

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

shrike82 posted:

has chrome gotten any better at memory/CPU usage? it's fine for desktop use but i've been using safari on my MBP for the longest time coz chrome makes a noticeable dent on battery life

It'll still gobble RAM if you let it, but it's not as bad as it used to be. On the MBP, though, you're never going to find a browser that can compare favorably to Safari in terms of battery life, because no one else gets the luxury of being able to develop their browser for a single and extremely limited hardware platform that they also happen to own top to bottom and can do whatever they need to for optimizations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Chrome is still an abomination compared to Firefox in terms of resource usage. Being a Chrome user is a good reason to buy these high core count processors and 32+ gigs of ram.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

16 core/32 thread 128gb 3090 custom loop posting machine

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

MeruFM posted:

16 core/32 thread 128gb 3090 custom loop posting machine
5400RPM HDD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009