Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was running 4 sticks before it was cool. :smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

four sticks of 4 GB :smugdon:

CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO Light Enhancement Kit (memory not included) – Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2QSY96/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_OYaQFb8SJ8HY4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

An important caveat techpost included in that article is that the performance boost almost certainly only exists at 1080p, if you have a higher resolution then you are just GPU bound.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

spunkshui posted:

CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO Light Enhancement Kit (memory not included) – Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2QSY96/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_OYaQFb8SJ8HY4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Aight, I'm out. This whole computer thing was fun this is a bridge too far.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alchenar posted:

An important caveat techpost included in that article is that the performance boost almost certainly only exists at 1080p, if you have a higher resolution then you are just GPU bound.
You can always turn down graphics settings and likely end up CPU bound at 1440p with higher end cards. At 4k, yeah you are GPU bound.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 8, 2020

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CK3's performance even on Zen 2 is pretty comical

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

hobbesmaster posted:

Pro tip for RAM over locking: put your reset switch on the clear CMOS jumper. You still need to completely power off but it saves so much time if you get too greedy.

I think most motherboards come with some sort of setting in the BIOS to reset tuned RAM timings back to their JEDEC default if they don't stick/fail after a set amount of times (default is usually 3). The last few boards I used in builds from ASRock and MSI have this feature.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Palladium posted:

I guess you need such massive computing power for all behind the scene "cuck" probabilities the Crusader Kings game does...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-09-crusader-kings-3-is-full-of-hidden-bastards-players-say

quote:

t all began with a single Reddit post. "You've probably been cucked," said user MadHopper in an ominous warning to fellow Crusader Kings 3 players last week. "Don't turn on debug mode unless you want to see some terrible truths."

The warning was related to a mystery that many Crusader Kings 3 players have now spent days trying to solve, the question being: why are there so many hidden bastards in the game? When MadHopper hovered over his children in the game's debug mode, he discovered all but two of his 10 kids had been secretly fathered by someone else. "That's when I moused over myself: turns out my father was cucked too," MadHopper added. "My house is effectively no longer descended from its founder at all."

The revelation alarmed players who wanted to ensure their playthrough followed family lines, and who were disturbed by the idea all their supposedly legitimate children had actually been fathered by someone else. "Out of all the wives my characters had I believe it was just one that didn't produce any bastards or children with disputed heritage - the homosexual one," Alastor wrote on the Paradox forums. "I mean I know this is the middle ages and everyone was having wacky sex with everyone all the time, but still this is a bit much."

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Is there any firm idea's of availability now? I have a whole computer waiting to be built, and I'm just waiting for a new CPU. Is this going to be like the 3080 I spent like 6 weeks trying to get.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Khorne posted:

In terms of what's possible, 32gb sticks don't get as good timings as the smaller sticks.

I was planning with 2 x 32 GB DDR4 3600 - CL16 Dualchannel kits from G.Skill (Ripjaw V) for my bullshit 3090+5950x beast. So 4x16 GB Kits would be the „faster“ solution??

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 8, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Is there any firm idea's of availability now? I have a whole computer waiting to be built, and I'm just waiting for a new CPU. Is this going to be like the 3080 I spent like 6 weeks trying to get.

If you're going for a 5900, you might have some trouble. If you go for a 5600, your odds seem to be a lot better so far at least.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Re: DDR4 RAM Kits.

It’s way more complicated than I thought.
YouTube commentary from User " Mirsad Redzovic "

quote:

Steve, this is long, but worth the read.

Apparently, it's not the "4x8GB" that helps the Zen3.
It's that using full "4-Ranks" (256-Bits of memory bandwitdh) will be optimal because of the memory cycles. It's something about allowing more cycle to start while more are finishing.

Ram sticks have ranks.
Most if not all 8GB sticks are Single Rank.
Which means if you remove the heat spreader, you will have all of the IC's on one side of the PCB.
1 stick of 8 chips on one side will requires 64-Bits of bandwidth. (single rank)
Using 2 sticks of Single Ranked RAM sticks will use 128-Bits of memory bandwidth.
When you use 4 sticks of SIngle Ranked RAM sticks, you'll fully utilize the 256-Bit bandwidth. More than that will overload/strain most CPU's memory controllers and you'll reach diminishing returns on CPU performance for trying to double your RAM. You may also limit your OC capabilities.

The "Sweet Spot" is 4 ranks of memory.
This CAN BE HAD with 2 sticks of RAM, as long as both sticks are Dual-Ranked (meaning there are chips on both sides of the PCB).
This is typically found in 16GB sticks. This is why people going for 32GB system memory may be in luck and reap these benefits with 2 sticks of 16GB Dual Ranked sticks. That will be a total of 4-Ranks (256-Bits).

Upon searching what kind of config would be best for a Zen3 system seeking 64gb of memory, I have stumbled upon the fact that the Crucial Ballistix MAX 16GB sticks are SINGLE RANKED. (Micron chips).
Not only that, but they come in 4000mhz CL18 @ 1.35v. Which would be a GREAT candidate for people trying to reach the 2Ghz infinity fabric.
The beauty of this ram is that you can buy 4 sticks of 16GB dimms, and be running only 4 Ranks and reap all the performance benefits while not overloading the CPU memory controller. This way you can achieve 64GB of ram for those that require it.

I was watching some reviews on this memory and left some useful feedback for some.
I have pasted it below for people seeking this type of information:

Regarding the Crucial Ballistix MAX 4000Mhz 32GB (2x16GB kit)
If anyone is wondering why this ram is so expensive compared to other 32gb kits...

Each 16gb module is single ranked. Totaling 2 ranks.

That means that the memory IC chips are all on one side. 8 chips. Each chip size is 2gb. Each rank requires 64-bits of bandwidth.

These are Micron Chips. Micron is one of the only companies that does this in the performance market.

Samsung B-Die chips are limited to 1gb IC's which means if you were to get a 16gb module with Samsung B-Die or other competitors, they would have 8 chips on "each" side to equal the 16gb ram capacity, meaning they are dual ranked, using 128-bits per module.

AMD platforms do NOT like more than 4 ranks of memory (256-bits).

So lets say you want 64gb of ram. Getting 4 of these sticks would equal 4 ranks of memory (256-bits), which in Daisy Chain memory topology, can actually perform better than just two sticks of single rank memory (using only 128-bits).

If you wanted 64gb of ram in 4 ram slots and you went with Samsung B-Die IC's or non-Micron, you'd get 16gb modules with memory IC's on both sides of all 4 dimms which equals 8 ranks since each dimm is dual ranked (512-bits). This could overload your CPU's Memory Controller, limiting your OC to your CPU AND your Memory.

I suggest really doing research on finding the best ram for your AMD platform if that's what you have. Intel isn't AS sensitive to this, but it still is to a point.

There is a fine balance with AMD's Zen2 currently. It's somewhere around 16 cas latency and 3800Mhz Ram with a 1900Mhz infinity fabric.

These 4000Mhz dimms are great because if Zen3 can overclock their infinity fabric to 2ghz, you can run a 1:1 with this ram. The advantage to this is: A higher infinity fabric will equal great performance boosts across the board on AMD (gaming, computing etc...). When you run 3200mhz ram, your infinity fabric is 1600mhz (same frequency as the ram before DDR). If you run 3600mhz Ram, your infinity fabric gets cut in half since it will not go to 1800mhz unless you force it and possibly adjust voltage for stability. So now you see why if Zen3 allows a 2000mhz infinity fabric, this 4000mhz ram would be quite the sweet spot as you could run a 1:1 divider.

Not to mention, when overclocking your ram & cpu on Ryzen... the SOC voltage has to be increased, and often times once that's pushed passed 1.1v, you can be victim of having your PCI-E 4.0 down-spec itself to PCI-E 3.0. This can affect users which are trying to benefit from the max GPU performance from newer graphics cards, and most importantly... any users using new generation PCI-E 4.0 NVME drives such as Corsair's or Gigabyte's current offerings.

Hope this answers your question as to why this ram is expensive compared to other 32gb (2x16gb) kits. These sticks are single ranked and most if not all are dual ranked. Because of this, it allows you to not complicate all of the above mentioned since it can operate a 64GB setup with only 4-ranks @ 256bits that won't need a high SOC voltage, and allow a possible Infinity fabric overclock of 2GHz on the new Zen3 platform which means you can run a 1:1 divider between the memory and the fabric. (2000mhz D.D.R. "Double Data Rate" = 4000mhz ram).

Finding 4000mhz 16gb modules that are single ranked @ CL18 and 1.35v is not an easy task. Micron chips are charging for that novelty. I don't blame them for the price.

Hope this helps someone in their searches for the right ram sticks for their Ryzen Zen3 & Zen2 systems.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Hi which board is better for my new 5600x the ASUS TUF GAMING X570 PLUS WIFI or the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI they both cost the same.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mr.PayDay posted:

Great info, should be in PC building OP, and familiar for anybody who has dealt with server configs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr.PayDay posted:

Good stuff. This is what I speculated on earlier, it's the Rank that matters. This also isnt new to Zen 3, Zen2 also performed better with 2xDR or 4xSR than 2xSR, albeit it was fairly small, like ~5% difference.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Otakufag posted:

Hi which board is better for my new 5600x the ASUS TUF GAMING X570 PLUS WIFI or the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI they both cost the same.

X570 has pcie gen 4 off the mobo’s controller. This means you can run 2 nvme cards at pcie 4 speeds instead of 1

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
- edited, non issue

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 8, 2020

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Otakufag posted:

The b550 has slightly better/newer networking hardware I think. The x570 has like... 1 more USB port.

Theoretically the x570 will support more pcie4 devices but other than your boot drive and gpu you shouldn’t really care about that for most use cases, so it’s only “better” on paper.

Pick the one with the color scheme you like more TBQH

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Hello friends! I have a 5800x! If anyone is curious, dropping the PPT to 88w cost me about 7% in cinebench (caveat that I think I was thermally limited slightly at 142w) with observable clocks falling to about 4220 from 4580.

1c score was unaffected, and time spy within 1%.

So yeah, dropping ppt on zen3 appears to still be good

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Otakufag posted:

B550-F has BIOS flashback, so you can update the BIOS to the new one for Zen 3 without a CPU installed. The TUF X570-Plus doesn't, so if your board comes with the old BIOS version it won't boot Zen 3.

e: Just in general, a lot of the more affordable X570 boards don't have BIOS flashback and may not come with the Zen 3 compatible BIOS already installed. Almost every B550 board has BIOS flashback, even like $110 models.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr.PayDay posted:

I was planning with 2 x 32 GB DDR4 3600 - CL16 Dualchannel kits from G.Skill (Ripjaw V) for my bullshit 3090+5950x beast. So 4x16 GB Kits would be the „faster“ solution??
2x32 3600 c16 should perform the same as 4x16 3600 c16, 4x8 3600 c16 and even 2x16 3600 c16 (except that one weird single rank 16gb stick that guy was talking about above which will perform worse without 4x) with a 5950x. Of course, those last few have lower capacity. I'm just pointing out there's no inherent penalty to larger sticks.

3600 c16 is a good sweet spot for any capacity because they come in at a decent price.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 8, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sean10mm posted:

B550-F has BIOS flashback, so you can update the BIOS to the new one for Zen 3 without a CPU installed. The TUF X570-Plus doesn't, so if your board comes with the old BIOS version it won't boot Zen 3.

e: Just in general, a lot of the more affordable X570 boards don't have BIOS flashback and may not come with the Zen 3 compatible BIOS already installed. Almost every B550 board has BIOS flashback, even like $110 models.

The Gigabyte X570 Aourus Elite was on sale a couple weeks back and it has USB BIOS flashing. As does the Aourus Master. It's a solid motherboard but I will say there are some uh, quirks and DRAM overclocking stability generally flops around with differing AGESA versions.

I would mostly say do an X570 if you can but either are fine. If you really want top of the line that most enthusiasts are going for these days, the MSI X570 Unify is generally go-to if you really want to dive into squeezing out performance. But the GB is a lot more affordable for sure coming in around $150. A list of no-CPU BIOS updating models:

quote:

Asrock X570 Aqua
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Extreme 1.0/1.1
MSI MEG X570 Godlike
Asrock X570 Creator
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming X
Asrock X570 Taichi
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero /Wifi
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Dark
Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Asus ROG X570-F
Asus TUF Gaming X570-PRO WiFi
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite / Wifi
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master 1.0/1.1/1.2
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro /Wifi /1.1/ 1.1 Wifi
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra/1.1
Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
Gigabyte X570 UD/1.1
MSI MEG X570 ACE
MSI MEG X570 Unify
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi
MSI MPG X570-A Pro
MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact
Gigabyte X570i Aorus Pro Wifi

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 8, 2020

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I really like the aesthetics and features of the Asus Dark Hero and I'm bad with money - I wish they would release it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kaddish posted:

I really like the aesthetics and features of the Asus Dark Hero and I'm bad with money - I wish they would release it.

I wish they’d have launched an ITX board with it.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I finally got a 5600x ordered. I was shooting for a 5900, but I'm happy with this as it seems like a better value.
Anyways I am using a cryorig H7 that I currently have. Is it worth getting an AIO cooler for it or Noctua? Are there be noticeable performance gains to be had?
It all will be assembled in a coolermaster td 500 mesh if that matters.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Have there been any 5900x sold after release day? I haven't gotten any hits via distill.io in any store.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I finally got a 5600x ordered. I was shooting for a 5900, but I'm happy with this as it seems like a better value.
Anyways I am using a cryorig H7 that I currently have. Is it worth getting an AIO cooler for it or Noctua? Are there be noticeable performance gains to be had?

I would say that there's no way you need an AIO for a 5600x. It's quite low power in the scheme of CPUs. I did see good improvement with my 3900x moving from air to water, but that's a much higher cooling demand chip.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Normally I wouldn't have even suggested water. But I saw the noctua chromax is like $100, and I could get a corsair Hydro Series H100x for like $90.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Apparently the 5600x draws even less power than the 3600, so your current cooler should be fine.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Xaris posted:

Good stuff. This is what I speculated on earlier, it's the Rank that matters. This also isnt new to Zen 3, Zen2 also performed better with 2xDR or 4xSR than 2xSR, albeit it was fairly small, like ~5% difference.

Only minor thing he got slightly wrong; you don't HAVE to have ram on both sides of the dimm for dual-rank ram; this can lead to lots of hilarity in the 'why doesn't my single-rank ram work in this stupid thing' moment. No idea if this applies to cheapo consumer ram, but 'chips on one side' is not 100% guaranteed.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moly B. Denum posted:

Apparently the 5600x draws even less power than the 3600, so your current cooler should be fine.

Amd lists it as around 65w TDP

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Moly B. Denum posted:

Some real world numbers including peak power during boost

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214/amd-zen-3-ryzen-deep-dive-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested/8

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

i think paradox games love the silly amount of cache and also ram bandwidth thanks to people typically running 3800mhz ram. i play stellaris and every ingame "day" there's a shitton of calculations happening after the game's been running for a few hours. upgrading to zen 2 from my haswell was like night and day for how nice stellaris runs. literally went from "midgame can run like rear end on big galaxies, endgame needs medium galaxies to run like rear end, bigger is unplayable" to "almost completely smooth sailing until after 2400 even on largest maps"

now if only they fixed desyncs

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Has anyone had a Zen 2 (3900X specifically in this case) CPU "die"? Rebuilding a workstation from work where the machine suddenly "died" and the mobo would get stuck on the yellow DRAM light — OK, RAM goes bad sometimes, no problem... replace it.

Well, I also decided to take it for myself and move it to a mini-ITX setup and ended up in the follow scenario:

* BNIB B550-I + BNIB G.Skill RAM + 3900 X = no boot / yellow DRAM light
* BNIB G. Skill RAM + the previous X570 Prime mobo = no boot / yellow DRAM light
* known good (i.e., pulled from a running TR system) RAM, single stick on both mobos + 3900X = no boot / yellow DRAM light

AFAIK, this was never overclocked. I feel like the chances of the B550-I being DOA out of the box is low, but the only thing I feel like could explain this if the CPU was not broken is both motherboards being bad. Skeptical of that.

No bent pins I can see, also don't have another AM4 CPU to test with and of course I try to do this just a few days after Zen 3 launched. RMA to AMD?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

Has anyone had a Zen 2 (3900X specifically in this case) CPU "die"? Rebuilding a workstation from work where the machine suddenly "died" and the mobo would get stuck on the yellow DRAM light — OK, RAM goes bad sometimes, no problem... replace it.

Well, I also decided to take it for myself and move it to a mini-ITX setup and ended up in the follow scenario:

* BNIB B550-I + BNIB G.Skill RAM + 3900 X = no boot / yellow DRAM light
* BNIB G. Skill RAM + the previous X570 Prime mobo = no boot / yellow DRAM light
* known good (i.e., pulled from a running TR system) RAM, single stick on both mobos + 3900X = no boot / yellow DRAM light

AFAIK, this was never overclocked. I feel like the chances of the B550-I being DOA out of the box is low, but the only thing I feel like could explain this if the CPU was not broken is both motherboards being bad. Skeptical of that.

No bent pins I can see, also don't have another AM4 CPU to test with and of course I try to do this just a few days after Zen 3 launched. RMA to AMD?

Do you happen to have the same hard drive plugged in on both motherboards?

etalian posted:

Amd lists it as around 65w TDP

Ryzen 5 TDP listings have been a bigger lie than most

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Electromigration?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cojawfee posted:

Electromigration?

At stock clocks? In one year?

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
localized entirely within your kitchen?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

whats the best way to benchmark my 5600x and temp and perf wise? i feel like something is "off" in my new build, specifically, i'm questioning whether i got the cleanest application of thermal paste since clamping the cooler (coolermaster 212) took a lot more wiggling and sliding around than i expected, but i'd like to get an objective measure. i'm a little overwhelmed by the different options coming up in google, and i can't seem to find approximations of what a "good" temp is for the 5600x

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Do you happen to have the same hard drive plugged in on both motherboards?

Nope, I stripped down to not even having the GPU (I did try my initial attempts in both w/ a GPU, and if I recall correctly, on the ASUS boards, it'll happily make it past DRAM and light up a VGA error light instead) so only CPU and a stick of RAM was in the system.

Cojawfee posted:

Electromigration?

The guy that built this wasn't the sharpest at paying attention. I shared that I typically nudge DDR voltage up for stability with multiple sticks (~1.375 V or so, so nothing egregious whatsoever) so for all I know, maybe he loving ramped it up at some point and murdered the IMC on the CPU.

I'm basically trying to juggle machines to end up with a little mini-ITX box for work I can tuck into a corner and RDP into, instead of the monstrous machine taking up real estate right now, but at this point, I think I need to join the 5900X lottery and try to get my greedy paws on one whilst RMAing the 3900X. Or, find some cheap AM4 part to verify the mobo and RAM at the least, and then resell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

movax posted:

Nope, I stripped down to not even having the GPU (I did try my initial attempts in both w/ a GPU, and if I recall correctly, on the ASUS boards, it'll happily make it past DRAM and light up a VGA error light instead) so only CPU and a stick of RAM was in the system.

The guy that built this wasn't the sharpest at paying attention. I shared that I typically nudge DDR voltage up for stability with multiple sticks (~1.375 V or so, so nothing egregious whatsoever) so for all I know, maybe he loving ramped it up at some point and murdered the IMC on the CPU.

That is the easiest (maybe only?) way to kill the CPU from the warnings I’ve seen.