Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Gamersnexus seems to have the same old mindset that the 5800X is the worst CPU for the money and if you're a pure gamer you should get a 5600 while a multi-use PC that does productivity AND Gaming should get a 5900x.

Like I get single core performance is the be all and end all for video games right now and actual core count could be detrimental, especially if you're going into multi-ccx scenarios because windows will bounce tasks between the cores and rack up latency.

But that's what's happening RIGHT NOW. Won't future video games be minimum 8 core capable because of the PS5/XBX? My thinking is that a 5800x will be the best gaming purchase once the price drops a little bit and games become more multicore capable.

Games have just recently started performing better with 6 threads instead of 4. That is threads, not cores, and is after an entire console generation with 8-core processors with slow single-thread speed. If it were easy to evenly spread the workload among all of your cores, it would be happening already.

Don't forget these systems reserve a core for the OS.

I think where PC gamers need to worry is when and if we get ports of games targeting 30FPS on the new consoles. The max boost clock on the Zen 2 cores on the PS5 is 3.5GHz, and getting the game logic to run at 16ms instead of 33ms is going to be... challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

At the end of the day the game loop, amdahl’s law and simple causality are going to mean games will always need strong single threaded performance. All the embarrassingly parallel stuff is already handled by the GPU after all.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hobbesmaster posted:

At the end of the day the game loop, amdahl’s law and simple causality are going to mean games will always need strong single threaded performance. All the embarrassingly parallel stuff is already handled by the GPU after all.

Do quantum computers have to follow causality? I know they’re far from being able to do general purpose computing, but aren’t they able to solve problems in fixed time?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

If the PS5/XSX is ever going to be utilized enough that you'll want to match/overtake it that the 5600X can't provide, we'll be on DDR5 AM5/LGA1200 anyway.

basically this, the additional $150+ on the 5800x is better saved or spent on GPU for this gen.

if the 5600x isnt enough but magically a 5800x is, they'll be available cheap as a drop-in. if the 5600x lasts the entire gen, the next upgrade will be a full gutting.

you can convince me, maybe, that trying to "future proof" on things that are already here like DLSS & RT are worth it, but no way am I buying into the idea that games will struggle on the 5600x because it only is 6/12. especially because of its bonkers single threaded performance, which is always what's kept the 2500k relevant.

you know what? great, i hope games are that awesome in only 3 years or so. that would own, I'd absolutely love to be wrong.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 26, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The 5600x doesn't do better in games than the 5800 though, right, except in a couple cases where it has a small edge? Its just better performance for the price

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
You know it can also play all the hundreds of thousands of fun games released in the last 30 years too. You can saturate your life with games on these.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If I am going to pay way above msrp for 5600x or 5800x, might as well try get 5950x

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

How about an (almost) Mini-ITX motherboard with a loving SP3 socket for an EPYC on it?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Speaking of I totally missed that AMD refreshed their embedded systems chips, the V2000 looks pretty friggin slick

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/146785-amd-ryzen-embedded-v2000-processors-unveiled/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Do quantum computers have to follow causality? I know they’re far from being able to do general purpose computing, but aren’t they able to solve problems in fixed time?

Nah you need time loop logic for that! https://web.archive.org/web/20090129114503/http://www.frc.ri.cmu.edu/users/hpm/project.archive/general.articles/1991/TempComp.html

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/317731-amd-ryzen-5000-cpus-will-soon-get-adaptive-undervolting

PBO getting an update that includes adaptive undervolting

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

How about an (almost) Mini-ITX motherboard with a loving SP3 socket for an EPYC on it?

The VRMs on my motherboard caught fire just looking at that.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hasturtium posted:

Any verdict on a good B450 mini-ITX motherboard? I'm periodically seeing decent deals on them on eBay and am considering putting one into a hideous twenty year old HP my neighbor was getting ready to throw away to make a sleeper PC.

My Gigabyte B450i is alright. Having some troubles with the Bluetooth but an updated driver hasn’t dropped a connection on me yet. Otherwise, the ASRock Fatal1ty looks OK, but the Wi-Fi is 1x1 and was only a bit less than the Gigabyte. There are a few reviews out there, but none were horrendous (across the big players anyway). Mostly quibbles about VRM cooling and 433 Mbps Wi-Fi.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

bus hustler posted:

you know what? great, i hope games are that awesome in only 3 years or so. that would own, I'd absolutely love to be wrong.

A finger on a monkey's paw at Ubisoft curls closed...

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

NewFatMike posted:

A finger on a monkey's paw at Ubisoft curls closed...

ubisoft changes name to Omelas. games that come out are amazing except there's a developer in misery

wait

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

in RDR3 the extra cores available in the Xbox Series X will finally be unleashed, providing dedicated testicle simulations for all models on screen. if you look down your character model's nipples will be rock hard and realistically soften as you warm around the fire.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
For those that got a backordered 5000x cpu on amazon has yours shipped? Ordered mine 11/23 and still no dice despite folks saying the estimate was way off. Might just get a 10600k or 10700k...

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 27, 2020

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

The reason the 5800X is poor value is that by the time you reach the point where the 5600X is insufficient for your needs, it's unlikely that the 5800X will be enough of a step up, if any.

Everything has its price, the problem is the 5800X is boxed in by the 5600X and the 3900X. 3900X gets you 50% more cores at almost even money (at the cost of around 20% IPC), 5600X is tight enough below it that there’s not really much room for the 5800X to go down.

The main takeaway from this launch is that AMD wants to get out of the $200 hexacore market, and the rest of the pricing basically follows fairly logically from there. 3600 was too popular given the shortages the market is currently under.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 27, 2020

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

No peep in the build thread, thought I'd ask here just in case:

Mobo question. I have the this one (MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX) coming because it was bundled with the 5600x in a newegg deal and i just flailed at the buy button when I could, but digging into reviews the stuff the info I'm seeing isn't great. Various places seem pretty unsatisfied with the VRM and thermals.

I do not plan to do any overclocking in particular because as far as I've read it doesn't make much of a difference anyway. Are the issues with this board bad enough that I should just get a different one off the bat? I previously had the ROG STRIX B550 as my mobo choice. I mainly just needed the 5600x out of this bundle, I don't need features on this board specifically so I'm leaning towards getting a better-reviewed one to start but if it won't actually matter I might not go through the hassle.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The worst x570 is still meeting the minimum x570 specs and wont have any bad effects on something as low power draw as a 5600x. That board is very far from the worst. If it has the features you want, its good for you

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 27, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

NmareBfly posted:

No peep in the build thread, thought I'd ask here just in case:

Mobo question. I have the this one (MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX) coming because it was bundled with the 5600x in a newegg deal and i just flailed at the buy button when I could, but digging into reviews the stuff the info I'm seeing isn't great. Various places seem pretty unsatisfied with the VRM and thermals.

I do not plan to do any overclocking in particular because as far as I've read it doesn't make much of a difference anyway. Are the issues with this board bad enough that I should just get a different one off the bat? I previously had the ROG STRIX B550 as my mobo choice. I mainly just needed the 5600x out of this bundle, I don't need features on this board specifically so I'm leaning towards getting a better-reviewed one to start but if it won't actually matter I might not go through the hassle.

That board runs hot but for a 65W TDP CPU like the 5600X it really, REALLY won't matter.

For some dope trying to OC a 5950X until it chugs 300W it would be a non-starter, but this is also mostly a dumb thing to do in general anyway.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you guys should stay away from each other, its very confusing

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder if there's a R7 5700X coming next year.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

sean10mm posted:

That board runs hot but for a 65W TDP CPU like the 5600X it really, REALLY won't matter.

Fauxtool posted:

If it has the features you want, its good for you

Sahweet, I'll just go with this one (assuming it actually ships.) Thanks bunches!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder if there's a R7 5700X coming next year.

sure, why not? you can launch a billion SKUs if nobody can buy any of them anyway

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bus hustler posted:

lol at assuming increased hardware requirements mean the game is better

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

No. The main advantage is being able to solve some of the problems that only have an exponential running time solution on a digital machine, in polynomial time (which is a big improvement, but not quite as good as fixed time!)

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Man, how is the 3300x not just dropping the hell out of old CPU prices down the toilet? 1600s still going for around $100?

Trying to build a budget gaming machine right now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

E2M2 posted:

Man, how is the 3300x not just dropping the hell out of old CPU prices down the toilet? 1600s still going for around $100?

Where are you actually finding a 3300x?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

E2M2 posted:

I’d suggest that Intel owns the budget gaming space right now. i3 10100, 4C/8T at 4.3 ghz turbo for $100? Sure!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

E2M2 posted:

If the 3300X was ever in stock since the day they launched it, maybe! :v:

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I swear I saw it in stock a few weeks ago?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

E2M2 posted:

Are 1600s even produced now? Around a year ago 1600 was $69 and 1700 was $100 at microcenter. Possibly even $90 for the 1700 but I don't remember well enough.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
antonline 3800x order tracking changed to in transit. Looks like it was real

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Khorne posted:

Are 1600s even produced now? Around a year ago 1600 was $69 and 1700 was $100 at microcenter. Possibly even $90 for the 1700 but I don't remember well enough.

I think so? Zen2 and Zen3 are on the same wafer which is why we're seeing 3600 prices explode, but zen1 and zen+ were on different wafers, so in theory they can (and should) be still cranking out 2600x chips

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

E2M2 posted:

the 3300X isn't exerting downward pressure on older, less capable CPUs because it's barely available anywhere.

also, 1600s are still fetching prices like that because they're still one of the cheapest and most reliable ways to get to a 6c/12t CPU, and you're probably seeing 1600 AF models, which are functionally identical to 2600s

Twerk from Home posted:

I’d suggest that Intel owns the budget gaming space right now. i3 10100, 4C/8T at 4.3 ghz turbo for $100? Sure!

the F model without an iGPU is even cheaper

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

antonline 3800x order tracking changed to in transit. Looks like it was real

Assume you mean the 5800? And yeah my 5800 shipped too. Can't believe that was up for like 12 hours and I could just waltz over and buy one lol

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
AMD said they wanted to release Zen 4 in 2022 H1, but TSMC recently announced 3nm wouldn't be commercially available until 2022 H2. Given that Apple are unlikely to want to give up any of their 5nm production capacity now that they're going to use it for laptop and desktop chips on top of iphones/pads, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD's plans get pushed back until Apple can move on to 3nm.

If you were planning to buy something as a stop-gap, you'll likely be stuck with it for at least 2 years.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

AMD said they wanted to release Zen 4 in 2022 H1, but TSMC recently announced 3nm wouldn't be commercially available until 2022 H2. Given that Apple are unlikely to want to give up any of their 5nm production capacity now that they're going to use it for laptop and desktop chips on top of iphones/pads, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD's plans get pushed back until Apple can move on to 3nm.

If you were planning to buy something as a stop-gap, you'll likely be stuck with it for at least 2 years.

2 years is fine by me, I’ve had my current CPU for over 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

gradenko_2000 posted:

the F model without an iGPU is even cheaper

Is it actually? I'm seeing it $6-$10 more expensive than the vanilla 10100 ($110 vs $100), which is weird but...

Probably a case of the 10100F also barely existing although maybe that varies regionally.