Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

movax posted:

Man, like I was posting in the other thread... mATX Threadripper / EPYC platform with all those lanes... perfect super-NAS / ESXi box platform. Come on ASRock, do it you cowards, do another X399 but for Zen3.

Send them a key of coke, and they'll do anything you ask, I think.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Any thoughts, comments, or goatse would be greatly appreciated.

paste.zip

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

I ordered a Wraith Prism from Amazon to replace the dainty Wraith Stealth cooler that came with my 3600.

I've never seen factory-applied thermal compound applied like this before. Is this a thing now, or should I be suspect of the authenticity of the merchandise?

It's a thing now. Somewhere along the line a lot of the heatsink manufacturers figured out (correctly) that applying a uniform square was excessive and that they could save $0.005 by putting in half the paste.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Now that's an inspired creation

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Wow the 5900x does not gently caress around when it comes to heat, my fans keep spinning up to near max because it'll spike to 80-90C super fast even with my NH-D15S. (It appears to be performing more or less normally according to 3DMark.)
Anyone got advice for reducing fan noise that doesn't involve underclocking my CPU?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Use Argus Monitor and set your fan curve for your CPU and/or case fans to "avg. CPU 10 sec" and your system won't blow up for short spikes. You can also set your "idle" fan speed a little higher which will keep it a few degrees cooler BEFORE the spikes which will level them out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know if you've also got an RTX 3000 series paired with that 5900x but I found that it helped to set a sharper curve on my video card as well. In my case the heatsink is so close to the PCB and the 3080 is so freakin' big that it was basically leaking hot air up into the radiator all day without the GPU fans working harder to suck air away.

I never like to see high temps myself but the occasional spike into 80C territory is "normal" for the Ryzen family.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

There are counterfeit Wraith Prisms out there with 6 heatpipes :psyduck: though it's unclear if all of them work

Also Cooler Master makes the Wraith Prism anyway, so it's a fine little cooler :)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Wow the 5900x does not gently caress around when it comes to heat, my fans keep spinning up to near max because it'll spike to 80-90C super fast even with my NH-D15S. (It appears to be performing more or less normally according to 3DMark.)
Anyone got advice for reducing fan noise that doesn't involve underclocking my CPU?
Lower max speed of the fans. Especially when not at 88-90. Possibly even when at that speed. Lots of zen2/zen3's temp doesn't make it to the heatsink. A D15 has a bunch of unutilized headroom.

Disabling PBO will also drop temps & power usage significantly without impacting performance that much.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Zen3 chiplets on 7nm are very small, but the heat being dissipated is very high. There just isn't enough surface area on the chiplets for that much heat to get out of them that quickly. Because of this, the CPU temperature spikes very rapidly under load, and the system is responding by going "Oh poo poo, the CPU is really hot and that means the heatsink is really hot, better crank the fans to maximum!" - but it's not hot. The fans are mostly doing nothing. That's why Khorne's suggestion makes sense, a lot of the fan noise is going into doing literally nothing. It's also why it makes sense to set up a less aggressive fan curve if you can, as LRADIKAL suggested.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I ordered a Wraith Prism from Amazon to replace the dainty Wraith Stealth cooler that came with my 3600.

I've never seen factory-applied thermal compound applied like this before. Is this a thing now, or should I be suspect of the authenticity of the merchandise?

I intend to remove the stuff and replace with thermalright TF8 that I happen to have a tube of.. product claims heat transfer ability of 13.8 W/m.k.

Any thoughts, comments, or goatse would be greatly appreciated.

I've bought a number of coolers over time and have run into that kind of pre-applied pattern twice, including once on the Wraith Stealth that came with my Ryzen.

It's legit. If you want to remove it and apply your own paste just because of the general best-practice of always doing your pasting itself as long as you know how to, then you can do that, but it doesn't mean the product is inauthentic.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I want AMD to announce the 5000 series Threadrippers already.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

I want AMD to announce the 5000 series Threadrippers already.

With AMD’s most recent roadmap confirming Zen4 is pushed to 2022, I’m wondering if AMD is going to squeeze in a 6000 series with rebranded silicon, maybe they will launch Threadripper alongside those chips.

But I think right now they are struggling just to get Milan out the door in sufficient quantities. Threadripper certainly isn’t a high volume part but right now I don’t think they have to care, stuff is vaporizing before it even hits the shelves.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

With AMD’s most recent roadmap confirming Zen4 is pushed to 2022, I’m wondering if AMD is going to squeeze in a 6000 series with rebranded silicon, maybe they will launch Threadripper alongside those chips.
Do the new roadmaps not have Warhol on them anymore?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Set more static fan curves that don't react to every temperature change.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Kind wonder if Warhol isn't going to be on AM5 instead of AM4. Possible pipe cleaner for the incoming 600 series chipsets so we don't have the 300 series weirdness? Plus, since Alder since more like a Q3 product than Q2, AMD could yet again claim to be first to DDR5 like they did with PCIE4. Then they can release the 700 series with Zen4 and all the AIBs just have to copy their 600 series again after working out the kinks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

But I think right now they are struggling just to get Milan out the door in sufficient quantities. Threadripper certainly isn’t a high volume part but right now I don’t think they have to care, stuff is vaporizing before it even hits the shelves.
Probably not going to buy one, anyway. My mantra has always been same or more/better, so I'd have to stick with quad channel memory. It practically probably doesn't make a difference, altho with sixteen cores going at it... Losing the PCIe lanes is kinda meh, but they really only served the Mellanox card to hook up the NAS, which became a backup only solution, so it can work with Gigabit. Altho if I were to want multiple NVMe drives at their best performance...

Anyway, I still want to see it released and benchmarked, and maybe I can't resist.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Probably not going to buy one, anyway. My mantra has always been same or more/better, so I'd have to stick with quad channel memory. It practically probably doesn't make a difference, altho with sixteen cores going at it... Losing the PCIe lanes is kinda meh, but they really only served the Mellanox card to hook up the NAS, which became a backup only solution, so it can work with Gigabit. Altho if I were to want multiple NVMe drives at their best performance...

Anyway, I still want to see it released and benchmarked, and maybe I can't resist.
If I recall right from the digital packrats thread, you use ZFS (on FreeBSD?)? If so, ARC is gonna make good use out of the additional memory bandwidth, too.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Thank you to all that responded. I removed the factory dot matrix paste from the heatsink, shined it up with some iso alcohol and coffee filters, and did the same with my 3600.

Unfortunately, I discovered that the thermalright tf8 tube of thermal paste I had left over from a previous build was near empty - turns out that the syringe push depth is not a good indicator of how much paste is left.

So I reached into the computer nostalgia box and found a little bit of Arctic Silver 5 from around 2008, a little bit more of Antec Silver from around the same period, and between the three tubes, managed to get a thin and even coating on the cpu, and an even thinner coating on the heatsink (I basically used a really small chunk to tint the surface of the cold plate)

I'm averaging a solid ~10c below where I was with the stock cooler.

Since booting, my min temp has been 26c, typical temp 33c, and max during gaming was briefly 61c, but a more typical gaming temp has been around 55c. I was going to buy more thermal paste, but gently caress it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If I recall right from the digital packrats thread, you use ZFS (on FreeBSD?)? If so, ARC is gonna make good use out of the additional memory bandwidth, too.
Ah, the NAS is an Haswell Xeon in a different box.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My method of acquiring paste is "buy a noctua cooler".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

My method of acquiring paste is "buy a noctua cooler".

You must be excited by their recently released roadmap then!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 18, 2021

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'll buy that passive cooler when it eventually launches, always nice to have some spare paste.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That black NH-U12A better not slip into the next quarter tbh. It’s really a question of whether that or the EK 280 AIO comes out first.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Ugh, the A14x25 got pushed back another quarter. What in the gently caress, it's a goddamn fan. There's been prototypes on CES 2019, FFS.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh poo poo, white fans. I'd totally buy those to replace their gray fans with white rubber things I have in my case.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

looking forward to buying some A14x25s around about the heat death of the universe

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I see everyone is new here to noctua “roadmaps”. They’re entirely useless and you should only pay attention when they announce an actual release date.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

B-Mac posted:

I see everyone is new here to noctua “roadmaps”. They’re entirely useless and you should only pay attention when they announce an actual release date.

They took years past the original date for at least three things I remember.. black fans, black NHD15s, and their 200mms fans.

But I can't stay mad.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m curious about the redux line CPU cooler. It sounds like a competitor to stuff like the fuma 2 head on?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think so.. always did like the scythe coolers. I wonder what they'll do to complete.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
The secret really is in the brown color. Red for speed. Poop brown for silent wind.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Threadkiller Dog posted:

The secret really is in the brown color. Red for speed. Poop brown for silent wind.

The secret is... no windows!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Anyone else tried the 1.1.9.0 BIOS for an ASRock board? I've got a X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 with a 5600X, and neither the 1.1.9.0 nor the older 1.1.0.0 has let me set even a small negative offset for PBO. Like, rock stable with PBO turned on and set to +200Mhz max offset, but even if I knock that down to only +100Mhz, if I put even a -5 offset on the cores it'll crash randomly. Doesn't seem to mesh with a lot of the other experiences I'm seeing on other boards, where they're getting like -15 to -30 stable.

Trying to see if the board just needs a more mature BIOS, or if I got a chip that just can't hack it.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Polish tech site PurePC is claiming that Intel and Nvidia had a secret agreement that blocked the development of AMD Renoir + Nvidia 2070 and up laptops.

Wouldn't be out of character for Intel but I have no idea how trustworthy random Polish tech sites are.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
my favorite repaste job was brand new IBM (pre sale to lenovo) desktops that ran like absolute dogshit despite being decently specced.

they'd left the plastic cover over the heatsink paste and just mashed it down on the processor. God I wish I could find the pictures of that, it was such a WTF moment.

Lol apparently this is super common:

E: Got distracted from what I was originally going to ask.

Running a threadripper 2920X with a silver arrow TR4 cooler. How's that stack up to more modern options? There weren't a ton of great TR4 cooler choices when I bought this system. It "works" but everything is way too loud in my case (Define C) and I'd like to try to quiet it down some.

Trying to pick off some low-hanging fruit here. That probably means new GPUs for host & guest (sapphire RX 270x and RX 580) and a better PSU, but that's for the part picking thread, just looking for some advice on the threadripper cooling.

Harik fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 19, 2021

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I got the Noctua TR4-SP3 specific coolers for the Threadripper boxes I've built and they are awesome. No clue if they have a Chromax version but if you feel strongly about the brown / have windows, you can always replace the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

B-Mac posted:

This is a pretty good description of roadmaps in general